Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,037 Words
  • 2,241 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cabin Boys - 7. Chapter 7

It was late but the large grocery stores stayed open till 9 at night. Pete took the shopping cart, Joey walked next to me. As it turned out, we needed a lot more than just our menu for tomorrow night. “Pete, Joey take the cart and get what we need, I’ll meet you at the meat counter.”

I never bought a roast, as I was looking at the various meat, I must have shown that I was way out of my element. The butcher asked if I needed help. I told him about guests and my sons said their grandmother made the best roast beef. “How many for dinner?”

“Three adults and two teenagers” “

You’ll need at least a 4-pound roast. The best is this, prime rib. You’ll need at least 5 ribs, I’d suggest 6 or 7 ribs. You could always use the leftover for sandwiches.”

I must have had a dazed look on my face. He wrapped the meat, “Here take this, it’ll tell you how to cook this roast.”

I thanked him and then went to look for my boys. It felt great to say that, my boys. I found them in the fruit section, “Dad, can we get some of those. That lady said they were good to eat.”

“Yes, take two, and take two of those.” Checking what else they had in the cart, “Pete, we need lettuce. We can get some frozen vegetables as well.” That was a mistake.

They saw frozen berries, “Jim, we use to pick those at the farm.” So I added another bag.

There were a few other items we needed that the boys hadn’t got. Laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, and bathroom supplies. On the way out, the boys stopped at the pastry counter, doughnuts, cupcakes, and bread went into the cart. They passed up the cookies, I didn’t mention that. At the checkout counter, the boys packed as the food was rung up.

“Pete, don’t put the eggs in the bottom.”

He looked at me, “We didn’t buy any eggs.”

“I know but I hear a lot of parents tell their kids that when they are packing their grocery bag.”

Joey’s chickens have started to provide us with eggs. That old rooster finally figured out what his job was. On the way home, we stopped for ice cream. As I watched them eat their ice cream, I could get used to this easily.

Arriving home, unloaded the car, food put away, “Dad, can we have a snack?”

“You just had ice cream.”

“Yes, that wasn’t a snack.”

“Okay, what’s a snack?”

“A cup of hot chocolate with a few cookies”

“Okay, go and get ready for bed, I’ll fix you a snack.” The hot chocolate would be okay, but the cookies they didn’t need. I added some mints to their hot chocolate, this would be different. I cut up one of the melons and set that out, they could have that.

The boys came down in their pajama bottoms. Ever since they saw what I wore, they wanted to wear the same thing. I watched Joey, he looked, then looked at me. “No cookies, too much sugar at this time of the night is not good for you. Try the melon, you’ll like it.”

They did and the smiles told me they liked it. “Jim, can we grow these?”

“I think we can try.” I had discarded the seeds. I watched as they sipped their hot chocolate.

“Jim, what did you put in our hot chocolate?”

“Do you like it?”

“Yes, what is it?”

“It’s mint.”

The smiles were rewards enough. I also realized that all hot chocolates from now on would require mints.

Snacks over, the boys headed to bed, “What book are you going to read to us tonight?”

From the time I started reading to them, it became a nightly event. “We finished Mark Twain’s Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, let’s check the office to see what books I have.”

I had several books based on history, even some books from when I was a kid. “Let’s try this book. If you don’t like it, we can select another book.” I had picked one of my favorites by Zane Gray. That night when I hugged the boys' goodnight, it was different. I hugged my sons.

The next morning I was reading the directions the butcher gave me for the rib roast when Pete and Joey showed ups in their pajamas. “What are you reading Dad?”

“Good morning boys, I’m reading directions on how to cook our dinner tonight. Ready for breakfast?”

“Yes, can we have hot chocolate?”

I chuckled as I knew this would be their favorite drink from now on. I made a mental note to buy more mints. Pete watched me as I made their hot chocolate. When I was about to add the mint, I gave him one. Then I had to give one to Joey as well. I was learning. Breakfast was oatmeal and Pete fixed that. I watched just in case he needed help. That is what I told him. When it was ready, I told him to add some of the berries to it. He did and they liked that. Now I knew mints and frozen or fresh berries would be on my weekly list, I was learning.

“If you get dressed while I clean up, you can come to the office with me.”

“We don’t have a suit.”

“You don’t need one today. We’ll have to buy suits.”

I thought that would be a good idea when we have to go before a judge to finalize the adoption. I’ll ask Lenny tonight about the timing.

The boys came down dressed, “Dad, what about our studies?”

“Take your computers with you. You can set them up in my office.”

“Pete, it’s a little chilly. You should get Joey and your sweaters. Soon we’ll have snow and you’ll need a heavy coat. If we have time today, we can shop for a winter coat.”

Pete went to get their sweaters, Joey was in the car waiting. I was going to be a little late this morning, I don’t think the boss will mind.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 20
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There still seems to confusion about chickens and roosters. Chickens lay eggs without help from roosters. There will soon be baby chicks after the rooster does his part.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, weinerdog said:

All this stuff going on I'm sure Pete is glad he chose adoption.Jim's boss probably doesn't know about him adopting Pete and Joey I bet they are going to be a hit at the office.

I don't think Jim's boss will care. Jim is his own boss, he owns his business. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Peter will be glad he chose adoption, but he's still getting his responsibility.

In the long run, yes he will be glad he chose adoption. Joey will br happy and for Pete that is a plus.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, davewri said:

There still seems to confusion about chickens and roosters. Chickens lay eggs without help from roosters. There will soon be baby chicks after the rooster does his part.

Yes, the only way chickens can populate is with a rooster.  Maybe that is what Joey wants.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I know my dad got in trouble for never sending me to school, but I loved the time that I was able to go into work. Then it was usually to help with the stock taking, he was shit at adding up... Eventually though after mam died he just couldn't be bothered. Then just before I left school he had the council onto him and threatening to take him to court, so I had to attend even when I had the flu... Officials are, so stupid!🤣

  • Like 3
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Kev said:

I know my dad got in trouble for never sending me to school, but I loved the time that I was able to go into work. Then it was usually to help with the stock taking, he was shit at adding up... Eventually though after mam died he just couldn't be bothered. Then just before I left school he had the council onto him and threatening to take him to court, so I had to attend even when I had the flu... Officials are, so stupid!🤣

Yes, there is black and white b ut never gray. Typical bureaucratic nonsense 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Snacks Rule!!!

Arriving home, unloaded the car, food put away, “Dad, can we have a snack?”

“You just had ice cream.”

“Yes, that wasn’t a snack.”

“Okay, what’s a snack?”

“A cup of hot chocolate with a few cookies”

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drsawzall said:

Snacks Rule!!!

Arriving home, unloaded the car, food put away, “Dad, can we have a snack?”

“You just had ice cream.”

“Yes, that wasn’t a snack.”

“Okay, what’s a snack?”

“A cup of hot chocolate with a few cookies”

A typical answer from a young boy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

"That old rooster finally figured out what his job was." Couldn't stop laughing! LOL!!!!

You haver a great sense humor.  When I read your comment I wondered if there were gay roosters. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..