Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 839 Words
  • 3,146 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Paul and Adrian - 1. Chapter 1

“Tomorrow I’ll be 18, and then I can tell the world. I’ll be on my own. I’ll be my own master. Then after saying all that, I sat down on my bed; who was I kidding. There was no way that I’d be self-sufficient. I had no job, and I still was looking forward to going to college. I had a scholarship that paid 50 percent of my tuition. I had worked every summer and saved enough to pay for my books and dorm. I still needed to have the money to pay the other half of my school tuition. And the only resource I had for that was my family. So no, I couldn’t tell the world, and I couldn’t be on my own or be my own master, at least not till I graduated from college. Reality is very sobering.

I’m the youngest of three children; I have an older sister and brother. My sister has graduated from college and is a nurse at our local hospital and is still living at home, at least until she meets a doctor to marry. That’s her goal, and I think that’s why she became a nurse, yea shallow, but I never said she was a brain. My old brother is two years older than me and is in college studying to work in Dad’s business as an accountant. Me, I want to be a teacher.

“I had applied to a college that was noted for its teaching curriculum. The one drawback my parents saw, I saw it as an opportunity, was that I’d have to stay on campus. It was too far to travel every day.

Dinner time was always family time; it’s where we discussed anything and everything. My sister started by telling me about this new intern that started at the hospital. I could tell she had her eyes on him; she seemed to glow as she outlined his virtues. My brother wouldn’t be home until later something about a school project, but I knew he had a date and wasn’t going to be home till morning.

“Dad, I received a notice from the school. They are recommending that I start this summer. They said that I could get two of my classes out of the way, and since I’ll have credit for my AP courses, I would be classified as a sophomore instead of a freshman in the fall. But I’d have to stay at school since it’s too far to travel each day. I could come home on weekends, which will save a little.”

“Did they say what the costs would be for you to stay on campus during the summer?”

“No, they did say my scholarship would cover that half of the costs for the courses.”

“You know if you had gone out for sports, you could have gotten a full scholarship.”

That was a sore point for my dad. He was a jock, my brother was a jock, but I was the book worm. It wasn’t that I wasn’t interested in sports. It just took too much time away from my studies. During my senior year, all of my courses were AP courses.

“Yes, Dad, but I could never achieve the grades I had by dividing my time playing sports. I was essentially carrying college-level classes. I needed to use that time to study.” It wasn’t that I thought sports were a waste of time. I just felt that a gay guy should stay away from the locker room. I didn’t just sit on my ass. I ran each morning for 5 miles. I thought my body was in good shape; anyway, the adrenaline you get from running was better than trying to punch a ball around or tackling a guy twice your size.

“Do you have enough money saved to cover the expenses for these summer courses?”

“Yes, but I’ll probably have to have a roommate, and if I watch what I eat, I think I can make it.”

“If you’re going to be starting as a sophomore, maybe there’s enough money in the scholarship to provide for a room. You’ll need to check that out.”

In some way, I felt cheated. My sister didn’t have to work to save for college. She worked to buy clothes and didn’t save hardly anything. Dad paid for it all, and he paid the other half of my brother’s scholarship. But I haven’t heard him offering to pay any of mine. I wasn’t very close to my dad, he was a macho man, and I certainly wasn’t that. My brother was and took after my dad in build and looks. Unfortunately for me, I took after my mother, slim build, deep blue eyes, black hair, and a clear complexion. I was very fortunate that I never had any zits or other skin conditions common “to teenagers. I think running helps, cause when you run, you sweat a lot and you have to shower as soon as you get back; otherwise, you really stink.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 48
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

57 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

The question I have for his father is how would he know if his son is a talented enough athlete to ever be able to get a scholarship it sounds like being a good student isn"t appreciated. 

His father is a jock. Some fathers like top brag about their sons, particularly if they themselves played. I don't understand that mentality.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
47 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Wow Dad doesn't sound very helpful, he would have helped if he went for sport. Let's hope he is successful at college without his Dad's support.

There are men who give up on three children. They live to brag about the accomplishments of their children but the problem is, they only considered sports. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Interesting chapter, it is amazing how parents treat their different children some seem to be more of a child than others it is definitely a case of being the black sheep in the family. Fend for yourself or sink

I think most parents, although they love their children, tend to admire a particular trait in their child, because of that,one of them is usually closer to that child, or so it seems. The old adage of boys being momma's boys and girls being daddy's girls, is based on behavioral observations.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
45 minutes ago, mfa607 said:

Great start! Horrible father. Thank you!

Yes, his farther must have a huge ego

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Ok, I'm hooked! Lol! Unfortunately we have an asshole father. Hope he makes his father pay for thinking less of him.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
58 minutes ago, jaysalmn said:

Ok, I'm hooked! Lol! Unfortunately we have an asshole father. Hope he makes his father pay for thinking less of him.

There are some fathers that will never admit they made a mistake, and there are farthers that realized the mistake they have made and seek peace with their son. I wonder which category Adrian's father will fall into.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 10/23/2020 at 3:01 AM, CLJobe said:

His father is a jock. Some fathers like top brag about their sons, particularly if they themselves played. I don't understand that mentality.

Plus, he already done had one. Not like he missing out on anything. He done been there done that already. That is just sad. They didn't plan nothing for their 3rd child? Conditional? What?!?!

Damn if it ain't all uphill from here. But its gonna be good. Real good. Looking forward to this one...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, Buz said:

Plus, he already done had one. Not like he missing out on anything. He done been there done that already. That is just sad. They didn't plan nothing for their 3rd child? Conditional? What?!?!

Damn if it ain't all uphill from here. But its gonna be good. Real good. Looking forward to this one...

Yes, but I'm, glad he has a friend.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..