Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 950 Words
  • 2,821 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Paul and Adrian - 3. Chapter 3

“The first day of summer school was very exciting for me. I read the first chapter in our textbook so I could concentrate on the lecture, which I didn’t realize that the professor covers more than the first chapter at each session in a summer course. By the end of the 3 hours, my hand was sore, taking notes. I looked at Paul, and he was busy with his head down, writing like crazy.

“Paul, want to go and get some lunch?”

He agreed, and we went to check out the school’s cafeteria. The food was cheap, it wasn’t that bad if you were careful about what you selected. “I didn’t realize that we’d be covering more than one chapter in class today. I was lost, but I took a lot of notes.”

“Well, at least you read the first chapter. I’ll review my notes and read the first six chapters. Now that I know what to expect, I’ll be on top of it.”

Even though I read the first chapter, I understood it more now after the class. I think that’ll be the way in all of our courses. We’ll read, hear the lectures than reread.

Heading back to their dorm, “What class is being offered this afternoon?”

“I don’t know. I select this class since it’s what I needed to complete my freshman year. I don’t think I could attend both classes based on what we covered today. There’s a lot of preparation we’re going to need for this class.”

“If we’re roommates when the fall semester starts, I may need some coaching. I have a few AP classes but not enough to begin as a sophomore.”

“I’d like to be your roommate, and I’ll be glad to help you if you need it. If the library is open, there are a few passages in this first chapter I’d like to investigate a little more. I noticed at the end of the book, and there’s a reference for the footnotes.”

“We can go and check, but I’ll bet it’s always open. There are grad students that’ll need to be using the library for research.”

I want to be Paul’s roommate, he’s a good looking kid, smart, and we seem to be getting along rather well.

I hope that Adrian and I will be dorm mates the total time I’m here. I like him. He’s serious about school, so there is no joking around, so I know I’ll do well. I don’t need distractions.

“Look, the library is open as you thought. They open at eight and close at six.”

What is it about libraries, you can smell the books, and they are so quiet? I wonder if they soundproof them, you can’t even hear a chair being moved on the wood floors. I knew I’d be spending a lot of my study time here. I hope Paul will also.

“After that first day in class, we had developed a routine. Class then lunch, followed by spending the afternoon in the library studying. Paul was a serious student, and for me, that was perfect. I could sense a deep friendship developing between us.

 

As this summer course began to wind down, Paul and I began to study for Finals. We were rereading notes, rereading sections of text, and preparing that one test that would count the most for the overall course grade.

The final test day arrived. I took one look at the test booklet’s thickness and knew that it’d take me the full three hours. I glanced at Paul and saw his shocked look. High school finals were two or three sheets, not thick booklets. Opening the booklet, there was a question at the top of the page and space below to write the answer, no true and false. This test was designed to test your knowledge of the subject. The little extra studying in the library will now pay off.

I looked at Paul. I could see he was feeling the same way I did. If you passed this test, there would be no question that you understood the subject matter. I was glad that I enrolled in summer school. If I had waited till the fall to take this course, I probably wouldn’t have learned as much. Studying at the library was going to prove it was worth the time.

 

“Paul, how do you think you did?”

“I have a good feeling about it. Studying at the library and the additional material we read helped a lot. I think that was a good approach to studying, which I’ll continue to use.”

“I agree. I used the library a lot when I was in high school. I think it helped me in my AP courses.”

“When do you think we’ll get our grades?”

“I’m not sure. It’s going to take the prof time to read all of those booklets.”

“I bet he has graduate students doing that.”

“Do you think everyone finished the booklet?”

“Those who were serious about the subject, yes. I noticed a few were taking the course to just pass. Probably to fill in a course requirement.”

“We have two weeks before the next course. Are you going home?”

“No, I’m going to stay here, and now that I have an idea of what to expect for the next course, I’ll begin to read the book. I also need to find a part-time job. What are you going to do Paul?”

“If you’re staying, I might stay as well. I don’t need a part-time job, but that wouldn’t hurt. It would give me a little more spending money. I’ll call my grandparents this evening and discuss with them about staying.”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 41
  • Love 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It's always easier to study with a good buddy that's probably the reason why they passed the course.Speaking for myself a big booklet for the final and no true/false or multiple guess questions I would have been hating life 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

It's always easier to study with a good buddy that's probably the reason why they passed the course.Speaking for myself a big booklet for the final and no true/false or multiple guess questions I would have been hating life 

The famous blue book.I agree with you. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Tonyr said:

How i miss school. 

Was it school or the friends you had while you were in school? You are never too old to go back to school. Maybe we both could go😃

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Just now, CLJobe said:

Was it school or the friends you had while you were in school? You are never too old to go back to school. Maybe we both could go😃

Classes during the day and some times going out with friends after it.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Just now, Tonyr said:

Classes during the day and some times going out with friends after it.

We lived in different worlds, classes in the morning and work in the afternoon. I don't miss school but I do wish I continued to obtain my Master's.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, mfa607 said:

Sounds like the guys have similar approaches to school. Great chapter and thank you!

You are welcome. I think most people  who had the fortunate opportunity to continue their education have stories to tell.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, so they did the final I expect that they did well , I hope that they find jobs

Yes they have confirmed their relationship. I'm, glad for them, in a way they have a shared background, problems with the rents, as they say.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. Good friends help each other with there studies.

Yes, they have a lot in common.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
43 minutes ago, Tonyr said:

Yes!

When I was working in New York, his daughter was working there as well. I got to know her but not her dad.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Buz said:

'Compatible' is the word that springs to mind. Well suited indeed.

Yes, it seems that they have common goals 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..