Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 970 Words
  • 2,970 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Paul and Adrian - 2. Chapter 2

I was excited as I arrived at school. Registration was easy, paying the fees weren’t as easy. While I was waiting in line to get a dorm assignment, someone tapped me on the shoulder. “Are you also waiting to get a dorm assignment?”

“Yes, one of the guys said that there were only so many available. Something about cleaning and spraying for insects would reduce the number of available dorms. I’m hoping they’ll have one for me. If they don’t, I may have to pitch a tent.”

“My name is Paul.”

“My name is Adrian. Is this your first year?”

“Yes, yours also?”

“Yes, I’m looking forward to going to school. From what I read, this college ranks high in the teaching field. My goal is to become a teacher. What about you?”

“I’m not sure what I want at this stage. I picked this school so I’d be far enough away from my family. They are very demanding, and if I went to a school closer to home, they would want me to stay at home. I have very anal parents.”

Well, at least my parents aren’t that bad. So in comparison, I lucked out.

“Are you “looking for a dorm for the summer program?”

“Yes, Miss Adams”

Looking at Paul, “Are you also looking at a dorm for the summer program?”

“Yes.”

“Would you two consider sharing a dorm? We have only a few dorms left, and I have been asking everyone to share. There are two beds in each dorm, so it’s possible.”

I looked at Paul, and he nodded yes, “Yes, we’d consider sharing a dorm.”

She gave us each a key, told us the building where the dorms were located, and pointed the way.

“Well, Paul, let’s check out our summer home.”

Later, I called home to tell them I have a dorm, which I’ll share with another student. “Adrian, is he a nice boy?”

“Yes, Mom, he’s a nice boy. We had a good chat while we waited for our dorm assignment. I think we’ll get along very well. Yes, Dad, he’ll pay his share of the room.” Sometimes I wonder about my dad. I wonder if they are having financial problems. He seems more focused on money lately.

“Paul, this isn’t so bad. Which side do you want?”

“It doesn’t matter. I’ll take this side.”

We unpacked, made up the beds, “Paul, I’m going to take a walk into town. I’ll need a job, so maybe I’ll see something.”

“I thought you mentioned you were on a scholarship?”

“I am, but it only pays 50 percent of the tuition, no books, or dorm fees. My brother told me to find a cheap restaurant in town that caters to college kids, and I’ll find the food cheaper and better than cafeteria food at the school.”

“Well, if that’s the case and if it’s ok, I’ll go with you?”

The walk to the small college town took about 20 minutes. There was only one main street with several smaller roads leading off into the town’s residential section. On both sides of the main street were shops and restaurants. There was one grocery store, one all-night store, one post office, one pharmacy, and several small shops. “Did you do any work while you were in high school?”

“No, my parents said that they didn’t want me exposed to the ruffians.”

“Where your parents very religious?”

“Yes, we went to church three times a week, and when I say church, I’m not talking about 1 or 2 hours. Sunday morning church started at 8 am and finished at 1 pm. Then we had bible study on Wednesday night from 6 to 10. On Friday, we had church study for the kids. At church, they taught what the church’s position was on everything, and we were assigned bible passages to read and write a report on what we thought it meant.”

“I don’t know if I could do that. We went to church on Sunday for 1 or 2 hours, including Sunday School, but that was it. What was your church’s position on some of today’s social issues?”

“Well, you could imagine what their position would be on gay marriage or gays in general. They also had a very strong position on abortion, and on that issue, I could see some value to oppose abortion, but I also think that should be a women’s decision. Every Sunday, we heard about the corruption of our young people by these ungodly perverts. I expected to see brimstone or fire raining from above every time an individual came out as gay or someone supported gay rights or women’s rights. I doubted that the minister even wrote any other sermon. I think he just copied what he said the previous week.”

“I’m not sure I could go to that church. I always thought the church should be about the love of God, not damnation from God.”

“I agree, and that’s why I’m here, and not some church-related college.”

“How did you get your parents to agree to let you come here?"

“My grandparents told them to pull up their pants and let me be.”

“So who’s paying for your college, I’d think your parents wouldn’t because of you not going to their church college?”

“My grandparents started a college fund for me when I was born. I have no brothers or sisters. I don’t think my parents even have sex, well at least one time because I’m here.”

Adrian started to laugh. “Paul, I can’t fathom sleeping with someone I love and not making love.”

“My parents don’t sleep together. They avoid the sin of the flesh.”

“Your dad’s hand must be sore.”

“Look, Adrian. There’s a small diner, let’s check out the menu and prices. Tomorrow we start school.”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 13
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This religion Paul grew up with was that based on somebody you know or some religion you researched .The Amish are partiers compared to these guys.First impressions tell me it was good these two found each other.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
12 hours ago, long1jo said:

Very interesting beginning, cant wait to see friendship and love developing between Paul and Adrian

Really am very sad that a father can be so partial to one child just because he doesn't fit his shoe

Hope there is a lesson for him to learn in future

I'm not sure he will learn what he has missed. Sometimes people become so hard set in their views, nothing will change.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
12 hours ago, weinerdog said:

This religion Paul grew up with was that based on somebody you know or some religion you researched .The Amish are partiers compared to these guys.First impressions tell me it was good these two found each other.

 

There are these "righteous" believers who take the Bible literally and add to it, bias's, prejudices' s, and arrogance. The people how go there, go to get their prejudices praised. A sad comment on a ridiculous attitude. They form a "church" outside of the normal path. 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Looks like a good friendship is developing between Paul and Adrian.

yes, and maybe more

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 hours ago, mikedup said:

Interesting meeting and it seems that it is going to be a great start to a new friendship

yes, let's hope so.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
44 minutes ago, Gomez Stanley C said:

Maybe a southern thing, but here the dorm is a building with rooms in it. I had a dorm room in Lever Hall (the dorm).

 

You are correct, most of the universities, have a separate building which has rooms, i.e. dorms. Some take advantage of empty dorms, during summer break, to make repairs or fumigate a building. That was the reason dorms were scarce for the summer students. Much to Adrian's delight 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, Buz said:

Cool start. Good meeting. All chugging along nicely thanks.

So far., Adrian still has a hole that needs to be filled.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..