Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 697 Words
  • 1,436 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Beast in the woods - 1. Chapter 1

“Okay, Scouts, we will be camping at the Scout campground this weekend. Be sure you have your permission slips and your camping gear. If the weather is nice, we will be camping out in the open.”

“If it isn’t?”

“We’ll use the camp’s cabins.”

“Uncle Ted, are we going to have a campfire.”

“Yes, Jim, and we will roast hot dogs and make Smores. You’ll have a lot of fun. “

I am the scoutmaster for a group of boys that belong to our youth club. For some, they had done this before. I had four boys who would be going camping for the first time. My nephew is one of these boys. My brother said that is all he talks about.

I took off early Friday, loaded my truck with my camping equipment,
food, bedrolls, and kindling. I have camped on this campground before, and I knew we would need dry wood to get a fire started if it rained.

I picked up the ten boys. The older boys sat in the back of the truck, and the four younger boys rode in the cab with me.

Arriving at the campground, the older boys took over. They scouted out a spot for a campfire and found stones to sit on. The stones weren’t hard to find. Other scout troops had used them. It was more of a matter of arranging them around the campfire. They gathered wood from the woods that surrounded the campsite. As many times as I have camped here, there always seems to be a lot of broken limbs on the ground.

There were three cabins, and between two of the cabins, there was an outhouse, and there was an old-fashioned water pump. When we built these cabins, I knew that we piped water into the cabins from a spring in the mountain. I had the keys to the cabins in case we needed to retreat from a storm.

A trail through the woods led to the waterfalls, which provided the water for the site. At the base of the waterfall was a natural pond. The boys decided to go swimming. Since they hadn’t brought their bathing suits, it would be au natural. I laughed as the new boys were shy, but they joined in after seeing everyone else having fun. I knew this would happen, so I brought towels in my knapsack.

The boys continued to swim until they were hungry. “Uncle, we’re hungry.” I checked my watch, and it was almost two o’clock. I handed out towels, and as soon as they were dressed, we headed back to camp.

The older boys started the fire. I had hot dog forks for the boys. On one of my campouts, one of the boys got ill from the twig he was using to roast his hot dog. From that time on, I had metal forks for them to use. The boys sat around the fire, roasting hot dogs.

“Do you think there are any wild animals in those woods?”

One of the older boys took up the gauntlet. “The last time we camped here, there was this animal that looked like a wolf, only it was at least three times bigger. At night we could hear it howl. The first night we heard it, we moved into the cabins.”

“I read a story about such a beast. It was called the Beast of Gevaudan. In 1764 in the Margeride Mountains in the south of France, a beast looked like a wolf. Only it was as huge as a bear. They finally killed it with silver bullets. When they went into its lair, they found heads of young boys and girls.”

“Do you think there could be wolves as big as that in those woods?”
“I guess it’s possible.” Just then, we heard a wolf howl.

“Sir, can we sleep in the cabin tonight?”

I didn’t answer. However, the boys agreed among themselves, and before I could answer, they had their bedrolls and headed to one of the large cabins. I just laughed.

It was about 2 am when something was sniffing around the cabin, then the door crashed open and …….

Happy Halloween
Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 3
  • Haha 6
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This felt like a campfire story....I was a Boy Scout. We saved up and told ghost stories around the campfire and some really scared the younger or new guys. It was a rite of passsage for them.

Thanks for a good tale and bringing back good memories.

What will the next chapter reveal to make this story even spookier ? I can't wait.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..