Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Advent - 3. Chapter 3 - St. Nicholas

span>“That night St. Nicholas appeared in a dream to Constantine, and told him with threats to release the three innocent men..."

December 8th - St. Nicholas

From Catholic Online:

“That night St. Nicholas appeared in a dream to Constantine, and told him with threats to release the three innocent men, and Ablavius experienced the same thing. In the morning the Emperor and the prefect compared notes, and the condemned men were sent for and questioned. When he heard that they had called on the name of the Nicholas of Myra who had appeared to him, Constantine set them free and sent them to the bishop with a letter asking him not to threaten him anymore but to pray for the peace of the world.”

*********************

Danny stared at the tree sitting in the corner of the living room. There weren’t any decorations on it, no lights, no trinkets, and no garland. It was just a plain old Fraser fir, Brian’s favorite, sitting in a stand for three days without a decoration on it. Danny couldn’t bring himself to decorate it, by himself. Brian was always the one who was crazy about Christmas. He’d walk around the house singing carols off key and hinting at the gifts he’d bought for his husband.

Brian was gone so there was no one to help him trim the tree or festoon the house with lights and swags of evergreen branches. Danny couldn’t bring himself to do it alone. He got out of his chair to prepare for the party and relived his conversation with Cayden earlier that day. It was Friday and ever since his revelation to the other man in the coffee house, he went out morning, noon, and afternoon to stand with Cayden as he smoked. Cayden never brought up Brian or Danny’s telling of their story. They just talked about things, favorite foods, colors, music, movies, anything to pass the time. Danny couldn’t go a day without talking to Cayden and the thin man hadn’t said anything about his presence in the cold until this morning.

**************

“Why do you come out to watch me smoke? We could just get coffee and talk inside if you want,” Cayden suggested as he got close to finishing his cigarette.

“I like being outside,” Danny shivered as he lied to the other man. It was fucking freezing out this week. December in Minnesota isn’t a time to stand out in the weather and chat. He just needed Cayden’s presence and to be with him as he smoked felt right somehow.

“I think you’re nuts. I wouldn’t be out except for this disgusting habit,” Cayden laughed but his eyes sparkled as he took one last hit.

“Say, I’m having a tree decorating party tonight,” Danny said abruptly. “Would you like to come by?”

They hadn’t met outside the office building even once. They didn’t even have each other’s phone numbers though Danny had tried to ask more than once. Every time he chickened out. Cayden never thought to ask.

“Sounds like fun. I don’t have a tree at my condo. Too small and I’m never there anyway,” Cayden said casually. “I do love Christmas though. We always had so much fun growing up. Yeah, that would be fun.”

“Great. Let me give you my address then,” Danny said and pulled out a piece of paper he’d prepared ahead of time. It had taken him two days to get the courage to do this. “My number’s on here as well, in case you have trouble finding it.”

“Here, let me put my number in your phone,” Cayden said reaching out towards Danny. Danny dug in his pocket and pulled out his phone. Cayden reached over and took it, their hands brushing. Danny felt a wave of sparks travel up his arm into his brain. He felt lightheaded. Cayden felt the shock of static electricity as well. It was cold and dry and the air was filled with it. He put his name and number in the phone. He couldn’t help but notice the phone had a lot of entries.

How big would this party be?

“Okay, I’ll see you at lunch then,” Danny said flashing a big smile at him.

“Not if I see you first,” Cayden teased and stuck out his tongue. The piercing in his tongue glinted in the street light.

“Your tongue is pierced?” Danny asked quietly. He’d never noticed that before. It surprised him but he really didn’t know Cayden that well.

“Relic of a misspent youth,” Cayden said cryptically. “I’ve got a few more of those relics elsewhere.” He winked at Danny who felt himself blush.

Danny waved and rushed away from his friend. The thought of other piercings in other places on Cayden’s body had excited him. He felt himself aroused and adjusted his pants. Where else was Cayden pierced? Did he have a belly button ring, or nipples, or even a Prince Albert. The idea of Cayden’s other piercing was too much. Danny banished those thoughts from his head. Too much like cheating, he mused. I can’t go there. Not yet at least.

But, he now accepted that Brian was gone. Maybe his body was still lying in wait in the hospice but the Brian he knew and loved had left the building. Just like Elvis. Never to return.

******************

Danny blinked off the memory of earlier in the day. He was entertaining thoughts of Cayden’s body again. He didn’t want to do that. He looked at the clock. Only half an hour until the party started. Well, half an hour until Cayden was supposed to be here.

Danny took the platters of meats and cheeses out of the fridge and put them on the side board in his dining room. His dining room, not THEIR dining room. Not anymore. He cut bread putting it in a basket and opened two boxes of candy leaving the lids in the kitchen. Cayden loved chocolate. He learned that about him this week. Danny bought two boxes to make sure there was enough.

Danny went into their, no his bedroom, and pulled out the boxes of ornaments and lights. He placed them by the tree and looked around the room. It looked naked, plain, compared to everyone else’s house at Christmas. Well, tonight they’d take care of that. He was sick of moping around, creeping about his own home. Time to make Christmas bright, as the old adage goes. Time to get on with things. Tonight would be a start.

He hoped.

Danny chewed his thumbnail nervously. Maybe this was a big mistake. It was one thing to hang out and chat Cayden up but quite another to do all this.

He heard a knock and the doorbell. ‘Guess it’s too late now,’ he thought and steeled himself to face opening his door, his heart. Where did that come from?

“Howdy,” Cayden said cheerfully as he walked into Danny’s house. “Nice place,” he commented looking around the living room.

“Let me take your coat,” Danny said touching the edge of Cayden’s leather coat. He felt sparks and warmth again. Cayden’s cheeks were flush from the cold and Danny could hear the tiny clink of his tongue piercing as he spoke. It gave him a rush and he wanted to hide it from the other man.

“Am I the first to arrive?” Cayden asked brightly. “I’m usually the last person to get to a party. Damn gay genes.”

“Um,” Danny croaked. Suddenly this didn’t seem like a good idea. He’d thought it would be fine but Cayden’s expectant look made it sound a bit weird. “You’re the only one coming.” There. He said it and it was strange.

“You said it was a party,” Cayden looked uncomfortable. He looked away from Danny and saw the large platters of food and even a bar with an ice bucket and six glasses sitting there waiting for others.

“I was going to invite others but then, well, I didn’t know who else to ask,” Danny said quietly, still standing there holding Cayden’s coat. He waited for the other man’s reaction. Would Cayden grab his coat and leave or stay and spend the evening with him?

Cayden sighed and turned to Danny. He gave him a grin and shrugged his shoulders. “Party of two it seems.”

“I, I mean, Brian and I always decorated the tree together and with him…” he couldn’t finish the thought.

“Don’t get upset,” Cayden said warmly and hugged Danny, his thin, tight body wrapped around him. “Let’s get started then.”

Danny put the leather coat in the hall closet and offered Cayden a drink. Cayden asked for a gin and tonic and Danny made it quickly. That was Brian’s drink of choice as well. Used to be.

“Do you mind if I make myself a plate?” Cayden asked feeling Danny’s discomfort and trying to get past it. “I’m starving.”

“Go right ahead. I guess I got too much food for just the two of us,” Danny said biting his lip. Cayden didn’t answer him and filled a plate with meats, cheeses, and bread.

“Cheers,” Cayden said lifting his glass. Danny raised his own rum and coke and smiled. Cayden wasn’t mad. Thank God.

After noshing a bit, Danny pulled open the plastic crates and untangled the lights. As a team, the two men strung the lights around the tree. Cayden plugged in the string and the tree gleamed in the low light of the living room. It was a happy, welcoming glow of light in the shadows of the room. Danny felt better somehow with that cheerful light piercing the darkness. Cayden gave him another hug and this time Danny let himself blend into him. He felt so good, warm, firm, and steady as Danny’s mind cleared for the next hurdle.

Their ornaments.

Over the years, Brian and Danny had given each other special ornaments to suit each other. As a Vikings fan, Danny had little football ornaments in purple and gold. Brian was a Bears fan and had black, red, and white ones with the mascot of that Chicago team.

Brian loved horses and several horse figures were in the mix. Danny loved angels and there were plenty of them in the box. How would he separate them? Should he still have the little bell painted with the Chicago colors hanging next to the Vikings’ helmet with the horns? He didn’t know. Danny hadn’t even considered that part. Now, he was.

“Oh, I almost forgot,” Cayden said, releasing Danny as he stepped back. “I brought a little gift for you. Where’s my coat?”

“In the closet,” Danny said fighting back tears as he fingered Brian’s ornaments. Maybe he should just throw them all out and start fresh. The memory of when Brian opened that Arabian glass ornament with the Christmas colors was still there, locked in Danny’s head. It had been three years ago when he gave Brian that ornament. He’d yelled and pumped his fist after opening it. The kiss Brian gave him was imprinted on his lips.

“Here, for the host with the most,” Cayden said cheerfully pressing a small box in Danny’s hand. “Are you crying?”

“No. I mean, yes but I just. I didn’t know this would be so hard,” Danny sobbed and looked at the little wrapped box. It was so sweet of Cayden and now he was making this night so painful with his tears and his memories.

“Don’t worry about it,” Cayden said bringing Danny back into another hug. “It’s gotta be hard for you. I’m really glad I came. I can make sure you’re okay with this.” Cayden pulled Danny’s head onto his shoulder. His tears dripped onto the other man’s shoulder.

“I’m getting you all wet,” Danny said trying to pull away. He didn’t try very hard though. He felt better with Cayden pressed against him.

“I’ll dry. In the meantime, open my gift,” Cayden stepped back and Danny looked at the box again. With trembling fingers he ripped off the paper to see a box that check’s came in. He slowly opened the lid and inside was an ornament, an impossibly fat horse with Bugs Bunny in drag sitting on it, a Vikings horned hat perched on the rabbit’s head.

“How did you know?” Danny said losing his breath as he pulled it out and admired it.

“You told me “Kill the Wabbit” was your favorite Bugs Bunny cartoon. I got this ornament years ago and I thought you’d like it.”

“But, someone gave it to you?” Danny’s voice betrayed him.

“Yeah, but I don’t like him anymore. I figured this way someone I do like, and who has a Christmas tree, could use it. I didn’t screw up did I?” Cayden’s low voice sounded unsure, totally unlike him.

“No, it’s perfect,” Danny wiped his eyes again, but this time the tears were joyful ones. “I love it. Let’s put it right here in the middle. Every time I see it, I’ll think of you.”

Cayden swallowed hard. He figured this would be emotional for Danny but it was becoming so for him too. He couldn’t stand seeing the other man so upset. It hurt him. He’d noticed the ornaments had set Danny off. Maybe he could help.

“How about I go through the ornaments and you tell me if you want it on the tree or not,” Cayden said lifting Danny’s chin with a single finger. Danny looked at the other man’s honey brown eyes and nodded. That would help. He could decide which ones to keep and which were too painful.

For the next half an hour, Cayden did just that. Danny would nod or shake his head and he found it got easier with each ornament. Brian’s ornaments were placed in the box lid and Danny didn’t put any of them on the tree, except the glass Arabian one. Otherwise, it was just the ornaments Brian had given him and some family and friends had given to them both. Those didn’t bother him as much.

Cayden never said a thing about his choices, though it became an easy pattern to distinguish. They worked silently until the tree was decorated beautifully with the lights gleaming off the glass, gold, and silver. Danny stepped back and looked at it. The resident frog in his throat threatened to croak but he battled it off.

Cayden stood up and hugged Danny again. Danny hugged back and without thinking, he kissed him on the neck. Cayden didn’t react except to hold him more tightly. He didn’t dare speak. Emotions were running too high.

“I’m gonna go outside for a minute,” Cayden said releasing Danny. Danny told him just to smoke in the house but the other man refused. He got on his coat and stepped into the darkness. Danny looked at the tree and smiled. Brian would love this. But, Cayden was here now.

Danny got on his coat and stepped outside. “What are you doing out here?” Cayden chuckled.

“I missed you,” Danny said looking him in the eye. “Would you go out with me?”

“Sure, do you need more lights or something,” Cayden smiled and took a puff, his long elegant hands splayed out and his cheeks rosy in the brisk air.

“No, I mean, would you go on a date with me,” Danny said, with far more confidence than he felt.

“I don’t know about that,” Cayden frowned. “Don’t you think it’s, never mind.” Danny waited as he watched Cayden think. Maybe it was too soon, but he had to try. He felt what little poise he’d dredged up fade as the other man considered his proposal.

“Yeah, I’d love to go out with you,” finally Cayden answered. “Hell yeah. I think that would be fun.”

Danny found his face grinning but he wondered if he was being hasty. Cayden smiled, bent down, put out his cigarette and nodded toward the door. “Can we get back inside now? I’m freezing.”

Danny smiled and opened his door. As Cayden came in he could smell the tobacco smoke come off him. He’d probably taste like an ashtray right now. Danny wondered about that as he took off his coat. Cayden put his coat back on a hanger and closed the door to the closet.

“Maybe we could have something more to eat…” but Cayden’s words were cut off. Danny stepped up and kissed him, on the mouth, his tongue sneaking inside his mouth. Cayden put his hands on Danny’s temples and kissed back.

Cayden did taste like an ashtray and Danny couldn’t care less. He finally pulled away and looked nervously at Cayden, gauging his reaction. Cayden was short of breath and his face was flushed. He looked surprised but even more excited. That had been some kiss.

“Just don’t get any ideas about more than that,” Cayden stuttered. “I’m not that easy.”

“No, I’m sure you’re not,” Danny said and ran his hand along Cayden’s chiseled face. “I don’t think you’re easy at all. But, I think I like the challenge.”

“Where did that come from?” Cayden asked but he was grinning from ear to ear. Cayden’s voice set off Danny’s nerves again but he’d feed the beast within for now.

“Let’s have some more food and then I’ll pack some up for you to take home.”

“Okay.” Cayden felt like whiplash had just happened. Danny’s sad mood was replaced by a kind of determination. It was pretty hot actually. Cayden wasn’t expecting to get asked out or kissed, but he liked it. It was an emotional rollercoaster but he loved rollercoasters. They got the blood pumping.

Later, Danny packed up some of the food and Cayden got on his coat. As he was about to leave, Danny grabbed his shoulder and pulled him around. “One kiss for the road,” he growled.

The two men kissed deeply, more deeply than before and then parted just as suddenly. Cayden left and Danny collapsed on the couch. He looked at the tree and admired the glow of it. He fixated on the fat horse and the Bugs in drag ornament Cayden had given him. It was all he could see before he fell asleep in his clothes where he sat.

span>"This frightened away the soldiers and allowed a miraculous snow to cover her nakedness, its whiteness indicating her sainthood.” - St. Julia of Iberia
Copyright © 2013 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another excellent chapter. The beginning was really moving, because I can relate a little bit to what Danny is going through. A friend of mine died last December and every single thing I do to try to get into the Christmas sprit makes me think of him and it tears me up. Like Danny, I managed to get my Christmas tree up, but I've put all of maybe five ornaments up and the rest of my decorating is nonexistent. It's too hard. Maybe I need a Cayden to help me out too. :P

I like the slow heat you have building up between Danny and Cayden, from the piercings to the post cigarette kiss. Danny seemed shy and hesitant at first, but once he has his mind set on something, he goes for it! Looking forward to seeing how this progresses!

Link to comment
On 12/09/2013 06:06 AM, CassieQ said:

Another excellent chapter. The beginning was really moving, because I can relate a little bit to what Danny is going through. A friend of mine died last December and every single thing I do to try to get into the Christmas sprit makes me think of him and it tears me up. Like Danny, I managed to get my Christmas tree up, but I've put all of maybe five ornaments up and the rest of my decorating is nonexistent. It's too hard. Maybe I need a Cayden to help me out too. :P

I like the slow heat you have building up between Danny and Cayden, from the piercings to the post cigarette kiss. Danny seemed shy and hesitant at first, but once he has his mind set on something, he goes for it! Looking forward to seeing how this progresses!

Ian so glad to hear this is relatable. We all experience loss and that is what I'm hoping to convey. Danny is starting to heal and this is his journey. Thanks so much Cassie.
Link to comment

This is truly an inspiring story. We've all suffered loss and need to heal. Thank you for a timely and uplifting story at this festive time of year. Let us not forget, but move forward!

Link to comment
On 12/09/2013 07:37 AM, Gene63 said:
This is truly an inspiring story. We've all suffered loss and need to heal. Thank you for a timely and uplifting story at this festive time of year. Let us not forget, but move forward!
Thank you so much. I hope this story does exactly what you've said. :)
Link to comment

I believe that we are all "walking wounded" by many different methods. The holiday season only multiplies our loss and we feel unbearably depressed. So much emphasis on happy joyous celebration separates us from those who could help us endure the season. I try to always remember that fact when interacting with others.....they may not be as happy and joyous as me but I try to bring some joy and happiness to them. This is the true message of the season.

Your story, Cole, will absolutely help someone through this time, and I thank you for writing it.............Mike

Link to comment
On 12/09/2013 09:37 AM, flamingo136 said:
I believe that we are all "walking wounded" by many different methods. The holiday season only multiplies our loss and we feel unbearably depressed. So much emphasis on happy joyous celebration separates us from those who could help us endure the season. I try to always remember that fact when interacting with others.....they may not be as happy and joyous as me but I try to bring some joy and happiness to them. This is the true message of the season.

Your story, Cole, will absolutely help someone through this time, and I thank you for writing it.............Mike

Thanks so much Mike. You are so right. We should try to bring a little light when others may be feeling the darkness. It is our duty as good people.
Link to comment

We just got an early holiday present from this update! I'm glad I didn't have to wait until Wednesday. =)

 

Along with tasting like an ashtray and smelling like one, now Danny's apartment is going to smell, especially his closet, where Cayden put his coat and shut the door. I have such a hatred for cigarettes, I'm sorry. Both my parents died from smoking and my sister and I were surrounded by it. Every time I went over anyone's house, they thought I was the one smoking! I smelled like cigarettes since the day I was born. So yeah, I wouldn't even go out with anyone who smoked. lol So kudos to Danny, since he faced this all with Brian. Maybe he can get Cayden to quit also.

 

And yes, the holidays really suck when you've lost a loved one. But it's not only losing someone to death. The feelings of loss are there when a marriage falls apart and all your festive occasions that you spent with in-laws are now gone and everything you had before is now gone.

 

I think at some point in all our lives, we need a Cayden of our own to help us get thru the hard times.

Link to comment
On 12/09/2013 03:50 PM, Lisa said:
We just got an early holiday present from this update! I'm glad I didn't have to wait until Wednesday. =)

 

Along with tasting like an ashtray and smelling like one, now Danny's apartment is going to smell, especially his closet, where Cayden put his coat and shut the door. I have such a hatred for cigarettes, I'm sorry. Both my parents died from smoking and my sister and I were surrounded by it. Every time I went over anyone's house, they thought I was the one smoking! I smelled like cigarettes since the day I was born. So yeah, I wouldn't even go out with anyone who smoked. lol So kudos to Danny, since he faced this all with Brian. Maybe he can get Cayden to quit also.

 

And yes, the holidays really suck when you've lost a loved one. But it's not only losing someone to death. The feelings of loss are there when a marriage falls apart and all your festive occasions that you spent with in-laws are now gone and everything you had before is now gone.

 

I think at some point in all our lives, we need a Cayden of our own to help us get thru the hard times.

Thank you so much Lisa. Yeah, I do think that needing a Cayden of our own is something that rings true often. I guess we need a little help from time to time. :)
Link to comment

I can feel Dannys pain and hope and Cayden is so sweet and understand Danny and is not running away, I Think many men in the same situation would do that without thinking. Hope. Advent - new start. I like the title and I love this story. :hug:

Link to comment
On 07/08/2014 05:37 AM, Slytherin said:
I can feel Dannys pain and hope and Cayden is so sweet and understand Danny and is not running away, I Think many men in the same situation would do that without thinking. Hope. Advent - new start. I like the title and I love this story. :hug:
Thanks LBO! Im glad you're enjoying it. I appreciate your review!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..