Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Advent - 8. Chapter 8 - St. Stephen

em>"He was walking through their house and he smelled smoke. Brian had left a pot burning on the stove, again. He walked through the impossibly large house and finally got to the kitchen. Danny pulled the lid off the smoking pot and at the bottom was Brian covered and entangled in spaghetti noodles. He was looking at Danny, his eyes begging. Danny put the lid aside and turned off the stove. Brian’s eyes closed, relieved."

December 26th – St. Stephen

From Catholic Online:

“His hearers plugged their ears and refused to listen to another word. They dragged St. Stephen outside the city of Jerusalem and stoned him to death. The saint prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!" Then he fell to his knees and begged God not to punish his enemies for killing him.”

*************************

‘This was a huge mistake,’ Danny thought to himself. ‘I can’t believe I let them talk me into this.’

Danny was sitting in a pew in the chapel at the hospice where Brian was. His parents, actually Brian’s mother, had convinced him to attend a short service before they turned off the machines. Danny didn’t want to go but Jenny and Allen had talked him into it. Now he felt like a whore in church or a superfluous third nipple. Whatever it was, he was about as wanted as a redheaded stepchild. He never should have come.

Cayden had offered to attend with him, but he’d refused. The presence of a new boyfriend as he was about to pull the plug on his husband was too weird to even consider. Right now, Brian’s family was standing around talking, about him, as though he wasn’t there. Brian’s mother had heard about the Christmas Eve party and broke down into a torrent of tears.

Jenny was comforting her and Brian’s father. Brian loved Christmas and that seemed to be the topic of conversation now. Perhaps having the party had been a mistake but it actually went rather well.

Christmas Eve afternoon had been a fun time with Danny’s parents, sisters, nieces and nephew. Cayden had come with him and everyone had been warm and welcoming. They had a nice afternoon spread of roast turkey in a crockpot with buns, salads, and lots of rum cake. It was a casual time of snacking and having a couple beers with his parents while the children were opening presents. Nobody mentioned the fact Brian was missing from this Christmas gathering, and Danny couldn’t be more relieved. He was also pleased his mother had given Cayden a gift to open. Cayden had been surprised at the kind gesture.

Next up, they went to Danny’s house and got the food ready for the reunion Christmas Eve night. Jenny arrived first and chatted easily with Cayden while sipping some mulled wine. Everyone else showed up around nine o’clock and it had been a subdued party, obviously more of a wake than a party.

Brian’s brother and sister-in-law stopped by about ten or so. They gave Danny a present, met Cayden, and left shortly thereafter. It hadn’t exactly been uncomfortable, but it wasn’t as merry as previous years. Brian’s absence was like a missing tooth. Everyone kept talking about him in Christmas pasts. Cayden had been a constant helper and Danny never really felt like breaking down. He thought he would but the quiet conversations had distracted him.

Danny thought it was especially kind that his friends all complimented Cayden on the cookies he’d made and brought with him. They didn’t have to do that. This group had been Brian and Danny’s group and welcoming Cayden in was a surprise to him. It was all so new, making the transition between being Brian’s husband and becoming Cayden’s boyfriend. But, his friends seemed to be accepting Cayden as one of their own. Danny had worried about that but even Brian’s brother Allen had approached Cayden and said the green cornflake and marshmallow wreaths were delicious. They had been Brian’s favorite.

In fact, before they left, Allen and Clare told Danny he should stop by Brian’s parents’ house the next day, Christmas Day. They always spent that day with Brian’s family and Allen said his mother wanted this to continue. Danny didn’t want to go, but he accepted the invitation. The party didn’t last too much longer after they left. It had been a pleasant night, but not a joyous one.

Cayden spent the night and held him all night long. Danny left the lights on the Christmas tree shining brightly all night long, like Brian always had. He had to give Brian that part of his Christmas tradition. Cayden understood, as he did most everything.

The next day Cayden and Danny had a special breakfast and opened their gifts to each other. Cayden gave Danny some movies and a sweater. He’d even filled two stockings with candy and fruit and hung them by the television to be found that morning. Danny thought it was a sweet gesture.

Danny got Cayden a couple of new shirts and a Christmas ornament, a Green Bay Packer’s football made of crystal. Cayden hung it on the Christmas tree and that made Danny tear up, but he held it together. After breakfast, they watched the movie ‘Elf’ and laughed at Will Ferrell’s character. Cayden went to his mother’s and Danny drove to Brian’s parents’ house at noon.

That had been uncomfortable, but not terrible. Brian’s mother had gifts tagged with Brian and Danny’s names. That hurt, but he didn’t cry. They ate a quiet dinner of ham and mashed potatoes and opened the gifts. There was very little talk as the family gathered in the living room. Danny made a quick exit after opening the presents with Brian’s name and left them in the corner.

He couldn’t bear to take them with him.

Danny then drove to Diane’s and Cayden was there to open the door for him. Danny smiled for the first time that day, really smiled. Diane’s sister and her children were there. Cayden had loaded up the floor around the Christmas tree for his little cousins. Diane gave Danny a sweater wrapped gaily in bright red paper with gold ribbons. The group laughed and joked. The kids played with their new toys and fought and chased each other. It was a happy Christmas scene and Danny was so glad he’d joined them. Without any connection to Brian, Cayden’s family was openly joyful. Danny needed that.

Christmas night, Cayden came home with Danny. They sat on the couch and watched movies until midnight. Overall, Danny felt he’d endured his first Christmas without Brian better than he thought he would. He had started crying during ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ but Cayden hadn’t said anything. He just held Danny closely and kissed him on the cheek.

That night, Danny had a dream.

He was walking through their house and he smelled smoke. Brian had left a pot burning on the stove, again. He walked through the impossibly large house and finally got to the kitchen. Danny pulled the lid off the smoking pot and at the bottom was Brian covered and entangled in spaghetti noodles. He was looking at Danny, his eyes begging. Danny put the lid aside and turned off the stove. Brian’s eyes closed, relieved.

Danny turned away from the stove and he felt a gust of air travel around him. He heard Brian’s voice. His voice said ‘thank you.’

Danny woke up crying. Cayden held him and soothed him.

Brian said goodbye. Brian was gone. Today was just a formality.

In the morning, Allen called and asked for Danny to come to the service. Danny couldn’t say no.

Now he was stuck in a pew in a chapel with everyone in Brian’s family talking about the Christmas Eve party and Cayden. Allen had mentioned his name and Brian’s mother asked who that was.

Allen told her and Brian’s father looked angrily at Danny. Danny wished he could just melt away through the floor. Brian’s mother was a mess and kept looking over at him. Danny felt like a heel.

Allen and Clare were whispering to Brian’s parents now. Jenny was talking animatedly and softly in Brian’s dad’s ear. After some quiet words were exchanged, Brian’s parents seemed to settle down.

“Honey, it’s okay. They just weren’t expecting someone else in your life, not yet,” Danny’s mother whispered in his ear. Danny’s father reached over and rubbed Danny’s neck protectively. “It’ll be fine. Cayden helped you get to this point. He’s a good guy.”

Danny didn’t know what to say. He didn’t expect Cayden to be anyone’s hero, but his mother seemed to believe he was Danny’s hero. That helped and his sorrow eased a bit. Seeing Brian’s parents so upset had really affected him, far more than what he was about to do. Say goodbye. He’d already really said goodbye. Brian had too.

Everyone started sitting down, finally. Danny watched as a minister, Presbyterian he thought, shuffled to the front of the chapel. Rev. White had spoken with him briefly about Brian. He didn’t know his husband at all and Danny told him a few things that would be appropriate. Danny just wished this would be over.

“Friends and family of Brian Gustafson, we are gathered here to say goodbye to a dear loved one. I didn’t know Brian myself, but his husband, Danny, told me this was his favorite time of year. Brian loved Christmas and preparing for Christmas. Sometimes we forget that Advent, a time of preparation, is as important as our Savior’s birth. Without the prophecies of the Old Testament, without the birth of John the Baptist, and without the acts of the Roman Emperor, Jesus’ birth wouldn’t have the power it does.

The minister was obviously warming to the subject at hand. Danny wondered where he was going with this.

“Advent is a time of transition with the world getting darker each day in December. Finally, at the end of the season, the light of the world enters in the form of Christ. We use many symbols to get ready for His birth and those symbols help us keep in mind how transitions are as important as the event itself.

“Brian’s life is now ending. This is the last event in his life here on earth. But it’s not his end. Brian will now move to a better place, a place our Savior has prepared for him. It has been a difficult year for all of you but now is time for rest. It is time for Brian to go into the light and move to a place of peace and serenity. It has been a challenge to get to this place, but Brian’s Advent is now over. It is time for him to be allowed to go. Just remember Brian will never be completely absent from your lives. His memory and his love reside forever in your hearts and minds.”

Danny’s tears flowed silently. He’d promised himself he wouldn’t cry but the minister was right. Brian was part of him. Brian was also going to a better place. This part of his life was over, but it would always be part of him, regardless of what he did.

It had taken many changes to get to this place. His own advent had happened. It wasn’t just Brian’s preparation for heaven or wherever he’d be. It had been his as well. Danny realized Cayden had really been his Advent calendar of sorts. Without the man, would he be ready to let go? Danny doubted that.

*******************

Danny stood on one side of the hospice bed and Brian’s family was on the other side. Brian’s motionless body was like a gulf, a chasm between them. No, Danny thought. Brian isn’t a divide at all. Brian is the link between Danny and Brian’s family. They were about to pull the plug, well, that wasn’t entirely correct. It wasn’t a plug that was going to be pulled. They would just turn off the ventilator and Brian would be gone. This wouldn’t take long, they had assured him.

Danny held Brian’s lifeless hand in his. It was very pale and a little cool already. It was also kind of curled in Danny’s two hands. Brian was already gone but it was time to say goodbye for the last time. Danny could feel wetness on his cheeks. He thought he’d gotten that all out of his system. But, it wasn’t apparently. Obviously he was still feeling sadness, though no longer for himself. Now, he was just sad to let this last connection go dark.

The doctor turned off the machines and Danny thought the room would be silent but it wasn’t. There were still machines running as well as the sobs from Brian’s family. Instead of a quiet peace, there was a murmur of despair.

“You know how much my Brian loved you, right?” Danny heard Brian’s mother say. He looked up and saw both of his husband’s parents were looking at him. Danny nodded afraid to speak. Brian’s dad wasn’t looking angry any longer. Now he just looked lost, sad, and powerless. Danny had to say something. What could he say?

“I know he loved me with all his heart. I love him so. I just can’t,” Danny croaked out before he began heaving deep sobs and kept saying he was sorry over and over.

“It’s okay son. It’s time for us to let him go,” Brian’s father said softly and smiled through the tears on his cheeks.

Danny nodded again and then the doctor stepped next to him. “I’m sorry for your loss.”

Danny gave the doctor a meager smile and saw the monitor had flat-lined. The doctor put his stethoscope on Brian’s chest and listened for a moment.

“It’s done. Brian’s gone.”

Danny took a deep breath and lifted Brian’s hand. He kissed it looking at his husband’s empty face and open eyes that had glazed over so long ago. The doctor closed Brian’s lids and for the last time Danny saw those lovely glittering eyes that had rocked his world for over ten years.

Danny placed Brian’s hand down, leaned over for one last kiss, and whispered, “Farewell.” Without another word, Danny stood back up, and walked away. If he never saw a place like this again, he’d live a happy life. He wiped his tears and went to his parents who were waiting in the hall. They held him but he didn’t cry again. He just felt empty, like he imagined Brian did before.

********************

“How’re you doing?” Cayden asked as Danny picked him up from Diane’s later that day.

“I’m much better now,” Danny admitted. He was feeling more together, finally. Riding with his parents away from that hospice after saying goodbye to Brian, Danny remembered all Cayden had done with him and for him during this past four weeks. Cayden had been his own transition from Brian’s husband to a widower. It hurt but he felt like he didn’t really NEED Cayden any longer. That really hurt to realize.

“I thought today would be like the end of my life. It wasn’t. I finally feel free again.”

“Huh, I never thought you’d say that,” Cayden said, surprised.

“No, I’m free from the feelings of being trapped with someone who had already left me. I just didn’t know it but I had created this prison for myself. I was stuck in a stasis that had no end. Now I know what purgatory is,” Danny tried to explain. He didn’t know if words could explain what had changed within him. “I’m glad to be free again.”

“I’m happy you’re feeling better.” Cayden paused and cleared his throat, “What about me?” Cayden asked quietly, almost afraid to look at Danny.

Danny didn’t know how to say it, but he knew he needed to say the words. “Remember when I called you my Advent calendar?” Cayden nodded still looking at his hands. “Well, you were. You were the guy that helped me get past me and Brian. I needed that.”

“You don’t have to say anymore,” Cayden said, his deep bass quivering with feeling.

“No, listen to me,” Danny said pausing. “Please understand. I don’t need you anymore Cayden. But that doesn’t mean I don’t want you. I really, really like what we’ve started. I wanna see where it goes, if you do.”

Cayden looked up, his eyes shining with hope. “Really, you want me?”

“Yeah, I do. I realized earlier you aren’t something I have to have. You are someone I want to share my life with.”

Cayden sighed, relieved. He reached over and took Danny’s hand and squeezed it tightly. Both men had tears in their eyes for the exact same reason. Their advent was over. It was time for their arrival of the light.

*End Note*
Thank you for reading "Advent." This story is about beginnings that come from endings. I hope it conveys there are seeds of the future within the tragedy of the past. There is a bright light shining in the darkness. We only need to open our eyes to see it.
*End Scene*
Copyright © 2013 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Beautiful story. Liked how Danny said that he didn't need cayden, but that he wanted to be with him and start life again

Link to comment
On 12/27/2013 02:49 AM, Quiet man said:
Beautiful story. Liked how Danny said that he didn't need cayden, but that he wanted to be with him and start life again
Thank you so much. I'm glad you liked it.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Heartbreakingly (is this a word?) beautiful.....I enjoyed every chapter.....gives me hope for the future...................Mike

Link to comment
On 12/27/2013 01:00 PM, flamingo136 said:
Heartbreakingly (is this a word?) beautiful.....I enjoyed every chapter.....gives me hope for the future...................Mike
Thanks Mike. I'm glad you enjoyed it and found it hopeful. That was my goal. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Heya Cole! I hope your Christmas was great! =)

 

Well, you did it again! I needed almost a whole box of tissues for this chapter. I'm so glad Danny didn't break up with Cayden. Cayden and I were both holding our breaths. lol

 

As much as Danny vowed not to cry during the service and again in Brian's hospice room, it would have been pretty hard not to. Even though he did say goodbye to Brian (and the dream was one way), this shutting off the machine, the formality, still is like a punch to the gut. You don't think you're going to break down, but how could you not?

 

Excellent story, Cole. Yes, the story definitely was about new beginnings after the tragedy of an ending. Very moving, very poignant.. Just excellent.

Link to comment
On 12/27/2013 04:52 PM, Lisa said:
Heya Cole! I hope your Christmas was great! =)

 

Well, you did it again! I needed almost a whole box of tissues for this chapter. I'm so glad Danny didn't break up with Cayden. Cayden and I were both holding our breaths. lol

 

As much as Danny vowed not to cry during the service and again in Brian's hospice room, it would have been pretty hard not to. Even though he did say goodbye to Brian (and the dream was one way), this shutting off the machine, the formality, still is like a punch to the gut. You don't think you're going to break down, but how could you not?

 

Excellent story, Cole. Yes, the story definitely was about new beginnings after the tragedy of an ending. Very moving, very poignant.. Just excellent.

Thanks Lisa. I guess I owe you a box of tissues. ;) I'm glad I moved you. And, I'm glad it came across as hopeful and positive. The shutting down scene was hard to write. I really liked these guys. Anyway, thx!
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Lovely story Cole! You do new takes on old themes so well. I love the rebirth of Danny's feelings through finally letting go of Brian. I am with Lisa in that I am glad he chose to stay with Cayden. I think he will come to find that while he may not "need" Cayden the way he did two weeks earlier, now he will need him in a totally different way. I enjoyed every word, even the ones that made me cry.

Link to comment
On 12/29/2013 05:23 AM, Kitt said:
Lovely story Cole! You do new takes on old themes so well. I love the rebirth of Danny's feelings through finally letting go of Brian. I am with Lisa in that I am glad he chose to stay with Cayden. I think he will come to find that while he may not "need" Cayden the way he did two weeks earlier, now he will need him in a totally different way. I enjoyed every word, even the ones that made me cry.
Thank you so much Kitt. It makes me feel good I moved you. That is the highest praise to any artist, I think. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hi Cole,

I read this all in one sitting. It was hard watching Danny go through the grief and finally letting his husband go. I was glad he had someone to confide in who wasn't part of the group who told him it was past time to let go. Letting go is never easy, but at least Danny realized Brian was gone and it was time to move on. He might not need Cayden as he once did, but that doesn't mean what he was feeling wasn't real. Hopefully that bond he had will grow and he will find a new type of love with Cayden. Thank you for a beautiful story.

Wayne

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Great story, Cole. It touched me so much emotionally that I don't think I can give a detailed review right now. :,( Your stories are so enthralling and this one had me right from the beginning. It was so heart-wrenchingly beautiful. :hug:

Link to comment
On 07/08/2014 07:53 AM, Valkyrie said:
Great story, Cole. It touched me so much emotionally that I don't think I can give a detailed review right now. :,( Your stories are so enthralling and this one had me right from the beginning. It was so heart-wrenchingly beautiful. :hug:
That is such a wonderful thing to say. Thank you Comicfan! What a ringing endorsement. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/08/2014 07:25 AM, comicfan said:
Hi Cole,

I read this all in one sitting. It was hard watching Danny go through the grief and finally letting his husband go. I was glad he had someone to confide in who wasn't part of the group who told him it was past time to let go. Letting go is never easy, but at least Danny realized Brian was gone and it was time to move on. He might not need Cayden as he once did, but that doesn't mean what he was feeling wasn't real. Hopefully that bond he had will grow and he will find a new type of love with Cayden. Thank you for a beautiful story.

Wayne

Thanks so much Wayne! It was a difficult story to write but I felt it was one that needed to be told. I think Danny and Cayden will be one of those love stories that continued on. I don't think Danny would let Cayden go. I appreciate your kind words.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Okay, I don't remember when I cried so much Reading a story here on GA, maybe a prompt that LJH wrote. What a story, Cole ! I don't know where to start. Thank you so much for sharing this story - I loved it. When Brian said goodbye in Dannys Dream - that was so Beautiful and heartbreaking :,(:,(

Loved this story, so wellwritten- you are a great author, Cole :worship::hug:

Link to comment
On 07/08/2014 08:58 AM, Slytherin said:
Okay, I don't remember when I cried so much Reading a story here on GA, maybe a prompt that LJH wrote. What a story, Cole ! I don't know where to start. Thank you so much for sharing this story - I loved it. When Brian said goodbye in Dannys Dream - that was so Beautiful and heartbreaking :,(:,(

Loved this story, so wellwritten- you are a great author, Cole :worship::hug:

What kind words LBO! Im glad it touched you. It was a story i felt deserved to be told. Thank you so much. Very flattering. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow...really powerful stuff. I felt the pain, Danny and Cayden's both, and cried a lot of tears for them. Danny really needed Cayden but I think Cayden needed Danny just as much. You presented an unlikely pair that ended up blending perfectly together. Both of them were filled with a fear that was palpable but by being together they were able to handle their separate fears. It was very sad but very uplifting...truly great writing...thank you and cheers...Gary

Link to comment
On 07/25/2014 01:40 PM, Headstall said:
Wow...really powerful stuff. I felt the pain, Danny and Cayden's both, and cried a lot of tears for them. Danny really needed Cayden but I think Cayden needed Danny just as much. You presented an unlikely pair that ended up blending perfectly together. Both of them were filled with a fear that was palpable but by being together they were able to handle their separate fears. It was very sad but very uplifting...truly great writing...thank you and cheers...Gary
Thanks Gary! I agree. Cayden needed Danny just as much. He hasn't had an easy life and this gives him a chance for something satisfying. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was sad but the message I tried to convey was one of hope.

I appreciate the review so much. Thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I read this because you mentioned it in your blog. I had difficulty getting into it and it took me a while to understand what was going on with Danny and his Brian. You do relationships well and it was a touching story. Hard to imagine what that must be like but completely understandable. I did not really get what all the refs to the various saints were, except they had some significance to the Advent to Christmas. I was trying to relate the saint stories to Danny's story, and if there was a connection I failed to see it. I must say I am impressed by your gentle characters. Even Cayden who seems a bit wild (at least in his younger days anyway) comes over as so sensitive and sweet in his dealings with Danny, and so patient and kind and humble and unpushy. What a treasure! Wish I could find such a treasure! Thanks for the story.

Link to comment
On 07/26/2014 11:16 PM, Jaro_423 said:
I read this because you mentioned it in your blog. I had difficulty getting into it and it took me a while to understand what was going on with Danny and his Brian. You do relationships well and it was a touching story. Hard to imagine what that must be like but completely understandable. I did not really get what all the refs to the various saints were, except they had some significance to the Advent to Christmas. I was trying to relate the saint stories to Danny's story, and if there was a connection I failed to see it. I must say I am impressed by your gentle characters. Even Cayden who seems a bit wild (at least in his younger days anyway) comes over as so sensitive and sweet in his dealings with Danny, and so patient and kind and humble and unpushy. What a treasure! Wish I could find such a treasure! Thanks for the story.
Thanks Jaro! There was a personal aspect to this story for me. It was an emotionally trying time and I used this vehicle to work through it. The tensions of letting go with saving something precious was the theme, as it were. The saint references weren't direct in most cases. Well, I interpreted some of the language and in the St. Lucy chapter, Danny's eyes are finally opened to his past behavior. The chapter where the saint disappears is when Danny forgets about Brian. Maybe. It was too symbolic. Regardless I'm glad you liked it. Thanks so much for the review! :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..