Jump to content
    Cynus
  • Author
  • 3,129 Words
  • 6,067 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Navigator - 3. Chapter 3

div>
Check out my Patreon for early access to chapters(note:everything started at GA will be released in full at a regular pace. This is early access only, not exclusive access) and exclusive content! https://www.patreon.com/Cynus

“Would you get your feet off of me, Theo?” Stacey yelled, shattering the stillness of the early morning drive. Brady looked up from his seat in the far back and saw Theo reluctantly withdraw his feet from the column that rested between the driver seat and the passenger seat. Stacey was glaring at Theo and Theo just shrugged and bowed his head again to get more sleep. Stacey grumbled and rolled over in the passenger seat as she tried to get more sleep herself.

It was Jack’s turn to drive again, though Brady would take his turn behind the wheel as soon as they stopped. It had been nearly twenty-four hours since they had dropped Silas off in Colorado, and through driving nonstop they were just about to cross the border into Wyoming. Brady hadn’t expected Drake’s leaving to be as hard as it had been, but he had found it difficult to sleep knowing that a friend would be struggling to find a place to sleep.

“Jackie, when are we going to stop for a bite to eat?” Brady asked as his stomach growled. “I’d like to get something before we switch over and I start driving. Keep that in mind will you when you’re looking for a place to stop?”

“Braids, you worry too much, have I ever let you down?” Jack asked with a casual laugh.

“Of course. Numerous times,” Brady replied without hesitation. Jack’s laughter ended abruptly and Brady felt Jack watching him through the rearview mirror. “But don’t worry, Jackie, I don’t hold it against you. We’re like brothers, and we do that.”

“So what can I do for you, Braids?” Jack asked.

“All I’m saying is that I’d like to have some real food. I’m sick of eating gas station food,” Brady replied with a shrug. “I’d like to have something substantial.”

Jack chuckled softly and said, “You’ve got it, Braids. I won’t let you down this time.”

“I know you won’t, Jack,” Brady replied, purposefully using Jack’s real name.

Jack didn’t miss the reference, though he didn’t make any mention of it. Brady knew that Jack would catch the meaning behind it, too. He would know that Brady was bothered by something that he wanted to discuss with Jack in private, and Jack would wait until a time when the two of them could be alone before he pressed the issue. It was their signal, and it had been ever since the fourth grade when they had become friends.

Brady wasn’t sure exactly what he wanted to talk about, but he knew his emotions were complicated. He kept thinking about Drake, or Silas . . . No, Silas would never be his name to Brady. Drake was a much stronger band name, and even though Silas had only been with them for a few weeks he had felt like a member of the band, and he knew that the feeling had been shared by the others.

No one had really talked about what had happened after Silas had walked away. They had simply gotten back into the van and driven off. It had felt the way it always did after a performance. Silas had asked him about that once; the reason why Brady never spoke after a performance until he had put all of his equipment away. He had to let the music settle and come down from the high of performing.

Jack was the front man of the band. He was the singer; Theo played bass, and Stacey was their guitarist. Brady and Jack had been friends since the third grade, best friends since fourth, and they had met both Theo and Stacey in high school. Ironically Theo and Stacey had been dating at the time, though there had been even more drama between them while they were dating than there was now, and that seemed hard to beat.

When they had broken up it had nearly torn the band apart, especially once Jack started dating Stacey, but things were smoothed over quickly with Brady at the center. He had pleaded with all of them to talk it out rather than letting their beautiful partnership fall apart. They had agreed to play one more show, at the local battle of the bands, but had also agreed that if they didn’t take first place then the band was done.

Brady had gone to each one of them in private and had told them how much he wanted the band to succeed, and had gotten each one of them to agree individually that they would play their best and really give it a shot. When Brady had gotten on that stage and made eye contact with each of them he had felt so sure of their success that he didn’t bother to say anything else. He could see it in their eyes that no matter how much pain they had all caused each other they wanted the band to succeed. He shut his mouth and played his heart out, channeling all of his emotions from the few weeks before into his drumsticks.

It had been bliss. It had been a release like nothing he had ever felt before; better than even sex. He had played harder than he had ever played before, and the other band members had followed his lead. When they were done playing and the crowd was roaring, he looked at Jack, Theo, and Stacey and all three were panting like they had just run a race, and they were looking at each other as companions that had endured some great ordeal together. They knew then that they were inseparable, and all of the things they had been through were nothing compared to what they could accomplish if they stayed together.

That moment was frozen in his memory as strong as anything from his childhood and anything since. He could still see it. The way that Theo was holding his bass like it was his child which had just come out of a sickness, the way the sweat dripped off of Jack’s forehead and onto his hand which still held the microphone as he looked back at Brady. The way Stacey was watching the crowd as if the cheering fans were angels, greeting her as if she had finally arrived at the gates of heaven. It was a moment of perfection.

After that night, they had decided that after graduation they would go on tour, and nothing had kept them from that dream. They had been touring for seven months and loving almost every minute of it but Brady had always tried to recapture that moment; he played as hard as he could at every performance, possessed by that perfect memory. And when each performance was finished he would reflect on it, let the memory go quietly as he returned to the present.

He hadn’t come across another moment that felt as real until the time that they said goodbye to Silas. That was what was bothering him, and as soon as he realized it he hit his forearm against the side of the van in frustration, hard enough to get Jack’s attention. It wasn’t enough for Jack to give him any more than a worried glance and Brady was glad for that. He would want to talk about it as soon as they were alone, but not any sooner.

They had picked Silas up after their show in Salt Lake City. Silas had been walking past the small club they had been playing at and had jumped in to help them put their stuff in the van. When they thanked him he asked for a ride. Brady had seen something in him then, but the decision was almost always Jack’s. Jack had looked to Brady when Silas had asked, and Brady had nodded to him slightly. The entire exchange had taken less than a second, and though Theo had grumbled about having two more bodies in the van Silas had been added to the crew without a second thought from Jack.

“Brady,” Jack said softly, “There’s a town coming up in ten miles. Sign says they have an IHOP. Will that do?”

“Yeah,” Brady sighed. “That’ll do. How about we don’t wake up the others and tell them we wanted to let them rest.” He asked hopefully.

Jack glanced at Stacey who was snoring softly in her seat. “I don’t think that will be a problem. We should be able to get a half an hour or so before Theo notices we’re gone.”

Brady chuckled softly and looked out the window, watching the scenery go by. He had ten miles to figure the rest of it out. Ten miles to sort through three weeks of late night conversations with the most intriguing boy he had ever met.

 

~    ~    ~    ~    ~

 

“French toast platter with scrambled eggs,” the waitress said and Brady nodded, gesturing to the empty space on the table in front of him. The aroma of the cinnamon and egg that entered his nose was one of the finest things he had ever smelled. It was far better than stale taquitos from a gas station, that much was certain. The coffee, although certainly not of much higher quality than that served at a gas station, was almost as welcome as the food. He was going to be driving and he’d rather be as awake as possible before he took the wheel.

“Strawberry crepes, side of sausage,” the waitress said as she set the plate down in front of Jack. Jack winked at the waitress who eyed his green Mohawk and laughed nervously before sliding her empty tray under her arm and looking at Brady again. “Could you use a refill on your coffee?” She asked.

“Yes, please,” Brady said, and the waitress left to get a pot of coffee. Brady then turned back toward Jack as he picked up a piece of bacon and took a bite. “Jack,” he said when he was done chewing. “We need to talk about Drake.”

“Silas?” Jack said with a raised eyebrow, “What’s to talk about?”

“You can’t tell me that all the time he spent with us meant nothing,” Brady said, rolling his eyes as he reached for the syrup to add to his French toast. He inhaled the sweet maple scent as he opened the pitcher and then licked his lips.

“Of course not!” Jack replied, clearly offended by the comment as he stopped moving his knife and fork that were cutting the crepe in front of him. “You were there when we said goodbye to him. That was one of the most emotional days we’ve all spent together.”

“Then how come we haven’t talked about it since then?” Brady countered as he began slicing into his own meal. “I mean, I know why I haven’t, but why have the three of you not mentioned him once?”

“Why don’t you tell me why you haven’t, and then maybe I can answer that,” Jack replied with a self-satisfied smirk before shoving a piece of crepe into his mouth. His face displayed how delicious the food was, or at least how it tasted after weeks of eating complete junk. “I’m sorry, Braids,” Jack said with food still in his mouth. “You were right, we should have stopped for real food a long time ago.”

Brady smiled as he finished chewing on a piece of toast and then lifted a bit of his scrambled eggs onto his fork before replying, “that aside, it felt like a performance. It felt like the way I do after we play. I couldn’t talk about it because I had given so much of my emotion over to Drake while he was with us, and I had to take the time to come down from that high.”

“I think I finally know what you’re talking about, Brady,” Jack said thoughtfully. “I honestly had hoped that Drake would come with us. That boy doesn’t deserve to be alone; I thought he liked being with us. I was kind of hurt that he was able to walk away so nonchalant, though… I know he wasn’t intending to hurt any of us, and I also know it wasn’t easy.”

“No, it wasn’t,” Brady agreed. “You could see it in his eyes when he walked away. He wanted to stay, but something made him want to run. It’s sort of like how we can never play the same performance twice.”

“How do you figure?” Jack asked before he took a sip of his orange juice. Brady paused to thank the waitress as she arrived and topped off his coffee, and only when she was gone again and he stuffed a forkful of eggs into his mouth did he stop to consider Jack’s question.

“We, as musicians, know that no two shows are the same,” Brady said slowly. “We live for the thrill of playing in front of a crowd. We live for the feelings we derive from the cheers of people who hear us play and love what we do. But the cheers are different in Salt Lake City than they are in Denver, or in Boise. Music changes with culture, we’ve learned that and I think it’s great.”

“And what does that have to do with Silas?” Jack asked.

“He was hurt sometime in his past, I mean, of course he was or he wouldn’t be living on the streets, but it was more than that. He was hurt by people close to him, that he thought he could trust. He doesn’t know yet that every performance is different,” Brady paused and looked up to meet Jack’s eyes. “He expected us to hurt him like he was hurt before, and so he had to leave.”

Jack nodded slowly before returning his attention to his food. Brady did the same and they ate in silence for several minutes as they each considered what had happened. Brady knew he was right. He had sensed it in Silas early on, at least at a subconscious level. Silas had a lot of pain in him, and he couldn’t trust anyone because that pain served as a wall between him and everyone else.

“Brady, I’ve got to ask you something serious,” Jack said as he looked out the window, watching the van that he could see parked just outside. He was looking at Stacey, Brady realized. “Brady, do you have feelings for Silas?”

Brady leaned back and dropped his silverware and stared at Jack with his fingers drumming on the tabletop and his lips pursed in thought. It was an interesting question, and one he hadn’t allowed himself to think about. “I don’t know,” Brady answered with a sigh. “It’s possible, but I don’t know for sure. He . . . he interests me, but he’s also younger than me.”

“Yeah, by a couple years,” Jack said dryly. “That’s hardly a difference at all. If you really think that’s a problem than you don’t know him as well as you think you do. That boy’s got more maturity in him than I did at his age. Hell, he might have more maturity in him than I do now.” Jack laughed and said, “I think you do. He had feelings for you, ya know.”

Brady’s eyes widened as he looked up at Jack who was grinning at him. “What are you talking about? I know he said he’s gay but I don’t think . . .”

“Your problem is that you think too much, Braids,” Jack said with a chuckle, “If you stopped thinking for a moment and reached out with your heart, I’d bet that you'd find the truth.”

Brady rolled his eyes and reached for his coffee as they heard the door to the van open and close. Theo was stretching on the side of the van and would soon join them inside, though probably not until Stacey woke up too and they talked about how Jack and he were having a private conversation again. Theo nodded at them and Jack waved, and Brady knew that the important information had been conveyed; they had been together long enough for that, and Theo would give them a few minutes before he came in.

“All right, so maybe I do like him. What of it?” Brady asked as he took a drink of his coffee and set it down, staring at Jack as if daring him to make a smart remark.

“I think it’s about time you found someone worth loving, Brady,” Jack said sincerely, “And that boy, Silas Drake, is probably the best chance you’ll ever have because he was totally into you as well. You can’t pass that up. If we drive all day and night I think we could find him. He looked like he was going to stay in that town for a while from the way he was eyeing those woods.”

“He needs time alone,” Brady said, shaking his head. “We can’t go back for him yet. Besides, we’ve got that gig in Boise.”

“Braids, if you think we can’t get another gig like Boise then you’re wrong. You know how we play. We’re good, Braids. We’re damn good. We can go back . . .” Jack trailed off as Brady shook his head firmly and leaned forward.

“No,” Brady insisted. “You wanted me to get in touch with my heart, and I have. Trust me, Drake needs his time alone. We’ll go back for him, but not yet.”

“Brady, we know where he is right now. Are you sure you want to give him a chance to get away?” Jack asked with a raised eyebrow.

“What’s that old line about if you love them let them go?” Brady asked with a sad smile. “I’m sure. We haven’t seen the end of Silas Drake, and when he’s ready we’ll see him again. We have to trust the music, Jackie, and the performance isn’t over yet.”

Jack nodded and smiled as he dug into his crepes again. Brady turned toward the window where Theo and Stacey were standing next to the van and watching them. He waved them inside and then turned his attention to his own food as he waited for his friends to arrive. As cool as he was being, his heart was pounding in his chest as he considered how desperately he wanted to drive that van back in the direction of Crow’s Lake, Colorado.

Silas needed love in his life, but it wasn’t from him that he needed it; at least not yet. The time would come, and Brady would be ready. But for now there was one painful truth that he had to acknowledge and accept. He had to let Silas go.

div>
Check out my Patreon for early access to chapters(note:everything started at GA will be released in full at a regular pace. This is early access only, not exclusive access) and exclusive content(stories posted only at Patreon as of this posting)! https://www.patreon.com/Cynus

Special thanks to my patrons for their support: Michael, Charlie, Bill, Paul, Matt, James, Shadow, Joe, Bart, John, Mark, Sam, Pete, Richmond, Scott, Frank, Amr, Haldon, Jay, Mark, Joel, Steve, Don, Jos, Peter, Chris, Heiko, Jeff, Raymond, Ganymedes, Jerod, Mike, Craig, Jack, Pooven, Caleb, Joey, and YOUR NAME HERE. You're all awesome!

Updated: 5/24/2018

Copyright © 2015 Cynus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 56
  • Love 3
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Damn tough chapter! Brady is trying to rationalize his feelings for Silas, trying to be mature--and yet we all know he's overthinking things again. I'm hoping he'll be freer in following his heart soon!

Nice to get the background on the band. Musicians, I think, can be volatile, and yet they've all managed to pull things together for success.

Nice writing job pulling together in shorthand each character's personality in few words. I'm already looking forward to the next chapter!

Link to comment

Brady's pretty ballsy. His rationale is solid, but it still takes guts to take the risk of never seeing Drake again.

 

And hey. To his credit, Drake really is a cooler band name.

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Every performance is different and the performance isn't over yet. That was a very insightful way to describe relationships. Brady and Jack communicate like only people who fully know each other can. Jack, in sensing and pointing out the hidden dynamic between Brady and Silas, is being the best of friends. Brady is right about giving Silas space. It isn't time yet. Silas will need to want to be back for it to work. Now you've given us a concise, but perfect portrait of the band and we know for sure that Brady's and Silas' feelings are shared. Now to get Silas to the point of realizing that hurt and rejection are performances that will not be repeated when you have the right audience. There's the trick and Silas has a bit of healing to do first; and perhaps a bit of longing too.

Link to comment

It was good to get to know the band. Brady is right about Drake needing more time. I like this philosophy about every performance being different and I look forward to reading more.

Link to comment
On 05/02/2015 03:20 PM, Robert Rex said:
Damn tough chapter! Brady is trying to rationalize his feelings for Silas, trying to be mature--and yet we all know he's overthinking things again. I'm hoping he'll be freer in following his heart soon!

Nice to get the background on the band. Musicians, I think, can be volatile, and yet they've all managed to pull things together for success.

Nice writing job pulling together in shorthand each character's personality in few words. I'm already looking forward to the next chapter!

Then it did its job. :) There's always a character in every story I write that I resonate with more than the others, and in this case I'd have to say it's nearly a tie between Jack and Brady. Once I wrote them I knew I had to see more of them, and I often find my stories morphing when new characters show up. Hopefully it morphed into something beautiful that you'll all stick around to see!

 

Thanks for the review. :)

Link to comment
On 05/02/2015 03:20 PM, Robert Rex said:
Damn tough chapter! Brady is trying to rationalize his feelings for Silas, trying to be mature--and yet we all know he's overthinking things again. I'm hoping he'll be freer in following his heart soon!

Nice to get the background on the band. Musicians, I think, can be volatile, and yet they've all managed to pull things together for success.

Nice writing job pulling together in shorthand each character's personality in few words. I'm already looking forward to the next chapter!

Then it did its job. :) There's always a character in every story I write that I resonate with more than the others, and in this case I'd have to say it's nearly a tie between Jack and Brady. Once I wrote them I knew I had to see more of them, and I often find my stories morphing when new characters show up. Hopefully it morphed into something beautiful that you'll all stick around to see!

 

Thanks for the review. :)

Link to comment
On 05/02/2015 03:39 PM, Zach said:
Brady's pretty ballsy. His rationale is solid, but it still takes guts to take the risk of never seeing Drake again.

 

And hey. To his credit, Drake really is a cooler band name.

It definitely is. :) Brady has his reasons, and like everything with him those reasons are deeper than what he's already revealed.
Link to comment
On 05/02/2015 04:35 PM, drpaladin said:
Every performance is different and the performance isn't over yet. That was a very insightful way to describe relationships. Brady and Jack communicate like only people who fully know each other can. Jack, in sensing and pointing out the hidden dynamic between Brady and Silas, is being the best of friends. Brady is right about giving Silas space. It isn't time yet. Silas will need to want to be back for it to work. Now you've given us a concise, but perfect portrait of the band and we know for sure that Brady's and Silas' feelings are shared. Now to get Silas to the point of realizing that hurt and rejection are performances that will not be repeated when you have the right audience. There's the trick and Silas has a bit of healing to do first; and perhaps a bit of longing too.
I feel like you've just cracked the master code of the whole story. ;) Well, we'll see how right you are anyway. As I mentioned in replying to another review, Jack and Brady are nearly tied for the characters that represent myself in this story, and I often find myself having discussions like this in my own internal monologue. The performance definitely isn't over yet, and there's a lot more to come.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/02/2015 09:54 PM, avidreadr said:
It was good to get to know the band. Brady is right about Drake needing more time. I like this philosophy about every performance being different and I look forward to reading more.
Glad to have you around and reading. I love the way Brady thinks and I'm glad you do too. Thanks!
Link to comment

I was pleasantly surprised to go back to the band so quickly. I really love the depth of friendship you've shown between Jack and Brady. Like someone said, there is a shorthand in conversation that comes with really knowing one another, but sometimes it is what a person knows that you haven't said anything about, that really shows a connection. Jack saw something of what brady felt for Silas when brady hadn't recognized it.

The fact that Jack was willing to go back so brady could be happy and because he cares about Silas clearly, was really cool. I give Brady credit for having this belief system and I just wish I believed in the universe as much as he does. That is alot of faith to put in the ideas that 'if you love someone let them go' and his own theories about the nature of performances and the way he relates that to Silas' life. while I think he has something when it comes to silas having to work through things before he'd welcome them back, I'd be hard pressed to believe that he'd be locatable after they went to Boise

'if it's meant to be.' I wonder if Drake will find himself thinking of the band? He seems like he's great at putting things out of his mind when it might cause unrest for his soul. The way he could walk away from this brother who didn't really do anything cruel to him, just to prevent himself more hurt shows he had to be hurt worse than just being told to take a hike b/c he's gay. there is something more fundamental in his distrust of those close to him. unless he really was that close to his brother and that deeply hurt b/c he was so young, when he lost him. I wanna know more about that hurt bc you've made it more clear here that his future hinges on resolving that.

Link to comment

I really enjoyed reading about the band. They all seem pretty tight, especially Brady and Jack. I like the fact that Stacey and Theo knew not to disturb Brady and Jack when they were in IHOP.

 

I'm also surprised that number one, Jack would just blow off the next stop to turn around and go all the way back to Colorado, and number two, that Brady said no. Brady's willing to risk losing track of Silas?

 

Can't wait for chapter four! :)

Link to comment
On 05/03/2015 05:24 PM, Cannd said:
I was pleasantly surprised to go back to the band so quickly. I really love the depth of friendship you've shown between Jack and Brady. Like someone said, there is a shorthand in conversation that comes with really knowing one another, but sometimes it is what a person knows that you haven't said anything about, that really shows a connection. Jack saw something of what brady felt for Silas when brady hadn't recognized it.

The fact that Jack was willing to go back so brady could be happy and because he cares about Silas clearly, was really cool. I give Brady credit for having this belief system and I just wish I believed in the universe as much as he does. That is alot of faith to put in the ideas that 'if you love someone let them go' and his own theories about the nature of performances and the way he relates that to Silas' life. while I think he has something when it comes to silas having to work through things before he'd welcome them back, I'd be hard pressed to believe that he'd be locatable after they went to Boise

'if it's meant to be.' I wonder if Drake will find himself thinking of the band? He seems like he's great at putting things out of his mind when it might cause unrest for his soul. The way he could walk away from this brother who didn't really do anything cruel to him, just to prevent himself more hurt shows he had to be hurt worse than just being told to take a hike b/c he's gay. there is something more fundamental in his distrust of those close to him. unless he really was that close to his brother and that deeply hurt b/c he was so young, when he lost him. I wanna know more about that hurt bc you've made it more clear here that his future hinges on resolving that.

Silas Drake's past will be revealed more as the story continues, don't you worry. :)

 

Jack and Brady really are the best of friends, and it took me until now to realize how much they resemble my friendship with one of my closest friends. Sometimes you discover things about why you wrote a certain way and they catch you completely off guard.

Link to comment
On 05/04/2015 05:23 AM, Lisa said:
I really enjoyed reading about the band. They all seem pretty tight, especially Brady and Jack. I like the fact that Stacey and Theo knew not to disturb Brady and Jack when they were in IHOP.

 

I'm also surprised that number one, Jack would just blow off the next stop to turn around and go all the way back to Colorado, and number two, that Brady said no. Brady's willing to risk losing track of Silas?

 

Can't wait for chapter four! :)

Jack's the heart of the band and Brady is the soul. Jack is impulsive and is willing to do anything to ensure the happiness of the people close to him. He has the wanderer's spirit, and even though he really wants to get to Boise because he thinks that their next big thing is there, he also knows that the right thing for the band might be to make Brady a little bit happier and to bring Silas back into the fold.

 

Brady is cool and contemplative, and he always tries to see the bigger picture. He also wants the people around him to be happy but he doesn't need to be directly involved in their happiness. As deeply as he feels for Silas he wants what is best for him first and foremost, and as far as Brady can see what Silas needs is time to figure things out. I've seen it said a few times that people think Brady is being brave or that he has more faith in the "if you love it let it go" then one would usually have, but I find his motivation to be slightly different. He just wants Silas to find happiness, wherever it may be.

 

Or at least, that's what he keeps telling himself. :)

 

Stacey and Theo are pretty awesome too, but you'll have to stick around if you want to see why. ;)

Link to comment

What an interesting way of explaining Drake's issues with letting people get close. I loved this chapter for showing us the dynamic and tight-knit friendship of the band and at the same time letting us know Brady will be there for Silas when he's ready to trust and love again. And we already know who hurt Silas: his brother by abandoning him, his parents by rejecting him unless he lied about himself, the Church (ie everyone in his surroundings) by not accepting his sexuality.

I prescribe the following therapy/cure for Drake: his brother to represent Family love and approval, Chelsea to be the religious acceptance, he's already had the band as friends accepting him, and hopefully he'll become ready for the final step: the love of a man worthy of Silas and good for him.

Does Brady know Drake has Jack's number? Or is this another little secret kept by his best friend, lol?

Link to comment
On 05/14/2015 09:31 PM, Timothy M. said:
What an interesting way of explaining Drake's issues with letting people get close. I loved this chapter for showing us the dynamic and tight-knit friendship of the band and at the same time letting us know Brady will be there for Silas when he's ready to trust and love again. And we already know who hurt Silas: his brother by abandoning him, his parents by rejecting him unless he lied about himself, the Church (ie everyone in his surroundings) by not accepting his sexuality.

I prescribe the following therapy/cure for Drake: his brother to represent Family love and approval, Chelsea to be the religious acceptance, he's already had the band as friends accepting him, and hopefully he'll become ready for the final step: the love of a man worthy of Silas and good for him.

Does Brady know Drake has Jack's number? Or is this another little secret kept by his best friend, lol?

I love the breakdown! Very insightful and I'd say Silas' needs are right on the money. It's funny how I didn't plan any of that, but it just comes out in his character... I love the way you learn things about your own writing from what others see in it.
Link to comment

I´m glad the band is still in the story and they didn´t just say goodbye to Silas and go away. Wherever this leads it´s great that there are people thinking of Silas and care about him.
Really enjoying the story so far :boy:

Link to comment
On 09/05/2015 11:17 PM, Suvitar said:

I´m glad the band is still in the story and they didn´t just say goodbye to Silas and go away. Wherever this leads it´s great that there are people thinking of Silas and care about him.

Really enjoying the story so far :boy:

I'm glad you're enjoying the story. :D

 

The band is going places, but none of those places involve them leaving the story. They'll be around, and they'll continue to care. :)

Link to comment
On 09/15/2015 11:32 AM, Foster said:

I enjoyed this chapter even though it made me hungry for pancakes.

I'd be happy to treat you to some for reading this far. :)

Link to comment
On 09/15/2015 11:32 AM, Foster said:

I enjoyed this chapter even though it made me hungry for pancakes.

I'd be happy to treat you to some for reading this far. :)

Link to comment

I wasn't expecting to read more about the band, if only because I assumed we would be finding more out about Silas in this chapter. But it's interesting to read about the dynamic between the various members. I'm suspecting that Silas' interaction with them has not yet finished. 

Damn good story, @Cynus! Looking forward to reading the next chapters. :) 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Marty said:

I wasn't expecting to read more about the band, if only because I assumed we would be finding more out about Silas in this chapter. But it's interesting to read about the dynamic between the various members. I'm suspecting that Silas' interaction with them has not yet finished. 

Damn good story, @Cynus! Looking forward to reading the next chapters. :) 

I'm glad it's keeping your interest! This story feels somewhat old to me now, since it was the second one I ever wrote, and that means it has quite a few flaws, haha! But I think you'll still enjoy your read through if you've liked it this much so far. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..