Jump to content

The Navigator

   (6 reviews)
Sub-genres: Adventure, Drama

Silas Drake never stays in one place for very long. He has nowhere to call home and no family, at least not that he has any desire to see again. He's a homeless gay teen and just trying to survive in a small Colorado town with not much beyond his name; only his survival skills from years of scouting, his dog, Adelaide, and the small bit of supplies to get him through each day. His life is in for a change when the last person he expected to see is standing in front of him.

Check out the forum topic for this story if you'd like to discuss it. smile.png

http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/40319-the-navigator-by-cynus/
Copyright © 2015 Cynus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Signature Author
  • 04/25/2015 (Updated: 07/24/2015)
  • 27 Chapters
  • 91,765 Words
  • 145,950 Views
  • 511 Comments
  • Teen
  • Complete

Story Recommendations (2 members)

  • Action Packed 2
  • Addictive/Pacing 2
  • Characters 2
  • Chills 2
  • Cliffhanger 2
  • Compelling 2
  • Feel-Good 2
  • Humor 2
  • Smoldering 2
  • Tearjerker 2
  • Unique 2
  • World Building 2

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 4,339 Words
    • 7,526 Views
    • 22 Comments
  • 2. Chapter 2
    • 3,683 Words
    • 6,018 Views
    • 23 Comments
  • 3. Chapter 3
    • 3,129 Words
    • 6,043 Views
    • 22 Comments
  • 4. Chapter 4
    • 4,776 Words
    • 8,039 Views
    • 17 Comments
  • 5. Chapter 5
    • 3,090 Words
    • 5,202 Views
    • 26 Comments
  • 6. Chapter 6
    • 2,980 Words
    • 7,286 Views
    • 27 Comments
  • 7. Chapter 7
    • 5,370 Words
    • 5,490 Views
    • 16 Comments
  • 8. Chapter 8
    • 5,402 Words
    • 4,839 Views
    • 18 Comments
  • 9. Chapter 9
    • 2,094 Words
    • 4,278 Views
    • 16 Comments
  • 10. Chapter 10
    • 4,034 Words
    • 5,462 Views
    • 22 Comments
  • 11. Chapter 11
    • 3,761 Words
    • 5,370 Views
    • 14 Comments
  • 12. Chapter 12
    • 1,669 Words
    • 4,963 Views
    • 19 Comments
  • 13. Chapter 13
    • 4,052 Words
    • 4,145 Views
    • 14 Comments
  • 14. Chapter 14
    • 5,602 Words
    • 5,277 Views
    • 25 Comments
  • 15. Chapter 15
    • 2,113 Words
    • 4,867 Views
    • 18 Comments
  • 16. Chapter 16
    • 2,585 Words
    • 4,843 Views
    • 16 Comments
  • 17. Chapter 17
    • 3,273 Words
    • 5,031 Views
    • 17 Comments
  • 18. Chapter 18
    • 2,132 Words
    • 4,712 Views
    • 18 Comments
  • 19. Chapter 19
    • 2,472 Words
    • 4,006 Views
    • 10 Comments
  • 20. Chapter 20
    • 3,262 Words
    • 4,626 Views
    • 13 Comments
  • 21. Chapter 21
    • 1,921 Words
    • 4,868 Views
    • 14 Comments
  • 22. Chapter 22
    • 5,215 Words
    • 4,556 Views
    • 14 Comments
  • 23. Chapter 23
    • 3,501 Words
    • 4,307 Views
    • 15 Comments
  • 24. Chapter 24
    • 1,859 Words
    • 4,284 Views
    • 12 Comments
  • 25. Chapter 25
    • 3,614 Words
    • 4,584 Views
    • 17 Comments
  • 26. Chapter 26
    • 2,454 Words
    • 5,790 Views
    • 29 Comments
  • 27. Chapter 27
    • 3,383 Words
    • 6,021 Views
    • 37 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

William King

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

This book takes you on a road trip that is different from the usual type of story, because it is a journey to be read on many levels. Throw into the mix an adventure plot worthy of any detective novel, and altogether you have an exciting, emotional tale, and one which is full of insights and reflections.

 

We start this journey with the struggling musicians who befriend our protagonist as he joins them in moving from one gig to another. He becomes the navigator who shows them how to read a map and find their way. But Silas Drake is much more than a simple navigator, he is a boy cast adrift on his own journey of self-discovery and reconciliation. 

 

“He was hurt sometime in his past, I mean, of course he was or he wouldn’t be living on the streets, but it was more than that. He was hurt by people close to him, that he thought he could trust. He doesn’t know yet that every performance is different,” Those words express the struggle that Silas has with himself, a personal combat that spills over into the lives of those he meets.

 

There is the discovery of a terrible secret and the overwhelming need to help the friends, who like Silas himself, have their own history to come to terms with. A history that may only truly be resolved by taking some risks. This ultimately leads to the final climax at the end of the novel, where like all good thrillers, the different threads of the story come together.

 

If I have any criticisms, it would be that perhaps the character of the ‘bad guy’ – all good thrillers have their bad guy – is a little superficial. His actions are plainly laid out, but we never get any great insight into him. Then again, the book is not about him and his part is no more than a supporting role in the drama. I could easily recommend this book, it’s a great read.
 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to review
Timothy M.

· Edited by Timothy M.

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

The title of this story is sheer genius, and I’ll never forget the person or the concept which prompted the name. As we begin the compelling journey mapped out by Cynus we meet Silas Drake, his dog, and the band who has given him a ride as they travel from one gig to another. Even though their ways soon part, Cynus keeps track of both parties. Drake as he stops over in a small village and encounters several people, both good and bad, who will change his life. The band as they struggle to find success and deal with missing the young man who helped them navigate from place to place. Their feelings about Silas have far-reaching consequences.

Drake is my favorite sort of character, both intelligent and sensible. He's shaped but not destroyed by events in his past. He does what’s needed to survive, but his integrity keeps his choices honorable. Even though he has been hurt by other people, he tries to avoid harmful actions, and though his trust is hard to gain, his loyalty to friends is unshakable. He’s not perfect, but that makes him all the more believable and admirable. The way he cares for his dog, Adelaide, who is a faithful protector, will win many readers’ hearts, and she plays a crucial role in the story.

There's heart-ache and danger and even a small mystery to solve, but the Navigator will find his way home through it all.

This review is a revised version of my Featured Story blog review.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to review
slrtorana

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Great story I have read it a few times now still enjoy it every time I read it 

keep up the great work 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to review
Mancunian

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Silas Drake is a teenager who, with his dog Adelaide as company, has spent 18 months on the road after leaving home before his parents could throw him out. He's just spent the last few weeks travelling with a rock band, Demons of The Crossroads. When they reach the town of Crow's Lake Silas decides it's time to move on again, just him and his dog. They stick around for while and events take a course that Silas could never have dreamt of. Now don't sit there reading my review go and read all about it, I'm sure that you will be drawn in as I was. @Cynus has written a brilliant story that I recommend you read.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to review
IanDaniels

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

What an incredible story! You are a very talented writer! 🥰

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to review
cognac69

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

OMG I wasn't sure if was going to like this story, by the end of the first chapter I was gripped by it. I didn't like it I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to more like it. It was a great read. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..