Jump to content
    Demiurge
  • Author
  • 6,728 Words
  • 1,938 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Incandescence - 3. Lullaby

Catastrophic failure.

That would be how I would describe this particular turn of events should anyone explicitly ask me. It had started routinely. We were gathered in Eon’s war room again. The full Council was present this time. With the addition of Talon, Loren, Suman, Rah, and Wren. Wren was sitting in the corner of the room again on the ground sharpening his tiny knife. He came to these meetings solely to keep an eye on Eon. But no. He didn’t care about him at all.

Meanwhile, Suman seemed to be thrilled that he was making everyone nervous. His hair spilled over both shoulders, and I saw that his nails were painted black. He wore a black, thick, knit top that hung off one pale shoulder and covered the other, tight grey pants underneath. Thick black rings decorated both hands. He rested his angular chin in them as I took my seat. He smiled wide at me and wiggled his fingers in my direction.

The duke on his left had pulled his chair as far away as he could get it. Tyren was even leaning away-as much as he could without looking rude-on his other side. Suman straightened and his smile moved around the table, giving everyone their turn to be unsettled. Talon hadn’t reacted. Neither had Rah or Eon. Hanja had frowned at him. He hadn’t seemed surprised by that. He paused when he reached Loren. He did seem genuinely intrigued when the other man met his eyes and grinned back. Loren still looked worn out and his hair hung limp around his face. Suman’s smile turned thoughtful and I exchanged a nervous look with Talon.

“So, Suman,” Tyren started, voice polite, “Have you been to our city before?”

“Yes. Tyren. I have.” My former teacher blinked. No introductions had been made yet as some of us were still getting settled. More importantly, that wasn’t right. He’d told me he hadn’t. I thought back to when I’d asked and held back a groan. No, he hadn’t given me a straight answer. I rubbed my temples as I made a mental note to be far more direct with the man and pay more attention to his responses.

“Two months ago, he was scuttling around in the lower levels.” Wren muttered over the sound of his sharpening. The room fell silent and Suman laughed, clapping his hands together. Silver and black bracelets hung from his wrists and jingled as he moved.

“Oh, fantastic! Someone in this country knows what’s going on.” He grinned at Wren who didn’t even look up. He focused on his sharpening, fingertip tapping the tip of his blade. I looked from Wren to Eon. If Wren had known, surely Eon did. That would have made sense, but Eon looked startled and then irritated. He glared down at his lap and then his face went blank. I caught his attention when his head rose, but it was too late. Eon had already hidden whatever he’d been thinking and feeling away. I shifted in my chair, growing more frustrated. The room was quiet and tension started to make the air around us feel tight.

Eon cleared his throat and leaned forward. His elbows rested on the arms on his chair as he addressed Loren, “What was the political climate like in Illiath when you left?”

Loren laughed bitterly as he pulled his knee to his chest. His foot rested on the seat as he made himself comfortable. He let his head fall back against his chair and his eyes dulled a little, “Hostile. I’m not sure they were ever genuinely looking for an ally. It was a ploy to gather information. Much like Sumerion’s march here after Anders’ fall. They wanted to see if Dimian would collapse. If it did, they wanted to rush in and grab up the shattered pieces. I think they thought I’d help too.”

His fingers traced over his kneecap as his eyes grew more distant, “My father’s health is on the decline. He’s on his way out. If he doesn’t go soon. I’m sure one or more of my brothers would be happy to help him along.”

‘Oh, they’ve got the right idea.” Suman nodded, humming in approval.

“There’s six of them. They would fight over the crown. It would explode in a civil war. The country would collapse into chaos. Much like Dleth.” Loren chuckled softly.

Suman’s eyebrow rose and he picked at the paint on his nail, “So?”

“People suffer when that happens. Innocent people.” Loren leaned forward, smile gaining an edge that made me a more nervous.

“Who cares? Other people are not my problem. If the country goes down in flames, I merely have to make sure I’m skipping out ahead of the heat.” Suman gave a crazed little laugh and flipped his hair over his shoulder, “Fortunately, I tend to be one step ahead in most cases. It shouldn’t be a problem.”

“Selfish and cruel. I have to say, for someone who hates Dleth so much, you have taken her ideals to heart. You seem like exactly the type of person your grandfather would’ve wanted to replace him.” Suman’s hands slammed down on the table as Loren spoke.

His eyes were wide and dangerous as he pushed himself up, smile sharp and unfriendly. Suman leaned over the table, grey stare focused on Loren’s face with incredulity. The other man lifted his chin, challenge lighting his face and bringing up a real grin. I might be happy, if I didn’t think two of the most unbalanced people in the room might lunge at each other at any moment.

“Bold words for a man who’s claimed by no country. You belong to no one and ride on the coat tails of people far greater than you. Did you take this job to feel important? Are you upset now because daddy still doesn’t love you and you don’t truly belong among the men in this room? Minus the dukes, we all understand the truth. They are also worthless.” Suman laughed and Loren’s upper body was halfway across the table in the time it took me to blink. Talon grabbed the back of his shirt and hauled him back. I jerked my wrist to restrain his hands with Magik when he tried to strike out. Eon and Wren had a hysterically laughing Suman pinned face down to the table.

“You two will leave if you cannot behave.” Eon growled.

“Yes, intelligent. So they can murder each other in the streets without anyone interfering?” Hanja snapped. My brother shot the healer a dirty look which was returned without hesitation. Wren growled at Hanja and I watched Tyren take a step forward. Talon slammed Loren into the chair with far too much force. Then shadow banded around him, securing him to the seat. The dukes were in an uproar. Huddled against the far wall and shouting. What on earth was happening?

“Everyone stop!” I yelled. Heads snapped in my direction and I smoothed my hair away from my face, “Suman, sit down and keep your mouth shut. Loren you too. Neither of you are to speak unless spoken to directly. You aren’t to speak to each other at all. If you do, I will restrain and gag you like common criminals. You are both royalty. Act like it.”

Both men stared. Suman smiled broadly at me and nodded the best he could with his cheek smashed against wood. His eyes flicked up with interest to Eon. My brother’s hand forced his cheek more roughly against the table. Wren stood on the table and had Suman’s hands pulled behind him. He held them up at a painful-looking angle, foot on Suman’s lower back. Loren let his head drop before nodding as well. My eyes met Talon’s and I waved him away when I noticed his tongue pressed to the back of his upper teeth as he looked me up and down appreciatively.

“Please, let’s get this meeting back on track. Everyone sit.” Eon let go with a sigh and stepped back. Wren gripped my brother’s shoulders before he hopped down, sliding down the bigger man’s body. He ran a clawed hand over Eon’s chest and hissed softly when Eon swatted it away. I tried not to be bothered by the interaction as I sat back down. I wasn’t the only one who noticed and Suman smiled sweetly at me when our eyes met. There was something about him that set everyone on edge.

I didn’t like it.

Talon released Loren who slumped in his chair. I let my head fall into my hands as Eon forced the conversation back on course. It was important. If Illiath was a threat from across the sea and Dleth was a threat across our border, we had a lot to prepare for. We couldn’t get hung up on petty, personal squabbles.

 

“Are you okay?” Talon linked our fingers as we stood outside the war room. I leaned against him, resting my cheek against his shoulder. The day was far from over, but oh, did I want it to be.

“Your cousin can’t seem to keep poison from spewing from his mouth.” I mumbled into his shirt. Talon’s fingers massaged gently over my scalp.

“It’s a gift.” The voice came from behind me, but I didn’t want to acknowledge it. Suman sounded pleased with himself. I sighed and heard his bracelets rattle, “I’m shocked you’re not more interested. Isn’t your entire culture about embracing gifts?”

My brain slowly processed his words, but Talon was faster, “Do you mean your Magik-the sound-has something to do with what happened in there?”

“I did come out and say it rather plainly, did I not?” I looked at him now. He was irritated. His hair tumbled over his chest and his fingers toyed with the ends.

“How does it work?” I gaped at him, watching his long fingers as they moved.

“No idea. I’m from Dleth. They don’t exactly encourage it.” Suman spared me an exasperated look.

“Talon’s family had Magik too and they knew how to use it.” I pointed out.

“My father was self-taught. He taught my brother.” Talon mumbled as his hand held the small of my back, “He’s telling the truth.”

“Magik or not, tell your cousin to keep his pretty mouth shut or I’ll carve his tongue out of it.” The three of us turned as Loren stormed past.

“Are your feelings still hurt? I thought we were having fun? Awe, don’t be like that!” When Loren ignored him and kept walking, Suman’s expression grew more feral. He tugged the ends of his hair, grinning maniacally as he called, “You think I’m pretty?”

Loren paused and I watched his shoulders tense. He shook his head and continued away from us. I let out a breath I hadn’t even known I’d been holding. I had a feeling that fighting Loren right now would be a very bad idea. For anyone. Normal, chipper Loren was terrifying in a fight. I’d be more hesitant to fight this angry, depressed version. I leaned more against Talon as his cousin turned his smile on us. Suman wasn’t very muscular. He was too tall and too lanky. Talon’s shoulders were broader and he had far more muscle but I could still see the similarities in builds. I had a hard time believing a strong wind wouldn’t blow Suman over, let alone an angry Loren. I quietly confirmed to myself that while Suman was attractive, I had managed to net the better cousin.

“Don’t bait him Suman. He’s dangerous.” I settled on scolding the other man and linked my fingers with Talon’s as we began to walk. There was still more on our agenda today. If we lost momentum, I’d want to forget it and go home.

“What if I want to bait him? You seem to be under the impression that I don’t know exactly who he is. I know he’s skilled.” Suman giggled behind us, the heels of his boots clicking on the marble.

“Then you would know he’s not to be trifled with.” I looked up to Talon for help. He simply shrugged, draping his arm over my shoulders.

Thanks, useless husband.

Suman sped up so that he was walking backwards in front of us, “You underestimate me cousin-in-law.”

He grinned at me and then spun so that he was trailing behind us again. I linked my fingers with the ones draped over my shoulder and tried to keep everything straight. For Illiath to attack, they’d have to launch an entire force across the sea. It made no sense logistically. Dleth was the more concerning enemy. They were right over the border. With Suman here, Sumerion should feel far less threatened. Maybe he’d make decisions he may not make had he been fearing for his life. There were too many variables. A head popped between mine and Talon’s. Suman squirmed between us, draping his arms over both our shoulders.

“Do you know that, besides my grandfather, this is the first time I’ve spent time with my family since I was a toddler. What should we do? Bond? Families do that right?” Talon was getting annoyed. I could feel the connection stretched tight with it. I slid my arm around, fingers barely managing to stroke his back to soothe. Part of me felt bad for the sociopath hanging from my shoulder. He honestly hadn’t had a chance to be a regular person. Much like his cousins. Being raised in that environment, he could have turned out worse. At least he was friendly? Or pretended to be.

“You want to bond? What did you have in mind?” I looked up at him suspiciously, blowing his hair out of my face.

“Kalian, stop making friends.” Talon warned, voice gruff.

“Am I not allowed friends, dearest cousin? To answer your question little Sun Prince, I don’t know. I’ve never done it before. I used to sneak onto the castle roof and watch the peasant kids play sometimes. Then the old man caught me. That was a bad day.” Suman’s face darkened for a moment and Talon’s annoyance fizzled a little. Then a bright smile reappeared, “Oh well, I’ll kill him eventually. I’ve been planning it for years. Thoughts, Talon?”

“Push him off the castle. Make sure he lands on something pointy.” Talon answered without emotion or hesitation.

“Talon!”

“I’m disappointed. That’s so boring and uncreative. Not to mention quick. There’s little to no suffering there. I expected more from you.” Suman’s shoulders drooped between us.

Talon looked downright offended, “There’s the potential for suffering. If he doesn’t die on impact…” He ran his free hand down his face. I could almost hear him thinking without the tether.

“You want creative and more suffering? Give me a second to think.”

I untangled myself and looked at them with disgust. Talon was lost in thought, a serious expression on his face. Suman smiled brightly at me and winked. With horror, I realized something. He may not know it, but Suman was bonding with Talon. Though I’m sure the darker grey haired man would deny it later.

I distanced myself from what became a disgusting conversation that the two men were far too engrossed in and jumped when a small figure dropped in front of me. It made me angry every time. You’d think I’d be used to it by now. Wren fell into step beside me, picking at his claws. Suman was laughing so hard no sound was coming out and even Talon was trying to hide a smile. He had finally removed his cousin’s arm from his shoulders at least.

“That was fast.” Wren said as he held his hand out for further inspection. His translucent claws were sharp and perfectly shaped. I glanced to the cousins walking a little bit in front of us. It was fast. He was right. I didn’t like it. Talon never took to new people like that. Or at all. He was never a people person. While it was true that he’d known Suman for a year now, he didn’t really know him. His cousin was a stranger. A dangerous one.

“I’ve angered the giant.”

It took me a few seconds to put together that Wren meant Eon. I hummed softly, “Oh?”

“Do not act like you didn’t notice. You seem to pick up on every ridiculous emotion in this group.” Wren’s voice was an angry little hiss. I giggled softly and he snarled at me. It was obvious how much it pained him to have to come to me for this. Or anyone for that matter.

“I notice because I pay attention Wren. I care how people feel.”

“Yes, that useless garbage. Anyway, your brother is angry with me and I don’t like it.” He yanked me to a stop, pink eyes blazing as he looked up at me. Talon and Suman stopped a few feet away. I didn’t like when they were close together. It made comparing the two unavoidable. Despite Suman’s features being sharper, his nose a little longer, eyes the tiniest bit bigger and darker, he looked far too much like Talon. Talon looked concerned, eyebrow raised. Suman was openly fascinated as he stared at Wren. Wren did not need fans. That was unnerving.

“Help me fix it.” I was startled by the soft words. Wren’s fingers were still clutched in the sleeve of my cream jacket. He tightened them when I didn’t answer right away, “I don’t like it.”

“Do you know the reason he’s angry?” I tried to keep the smile from my face at Wren’s insistence. He was borderline whining, or as close as he’d ever get.

Wren scowled, huffing out a quiet growl as he crossed his arms, “He’s upset that I kept the crazy prince’s visit to our city from him. I don’t report to anyone. He’s not my superior.”

I tucked an errant white strand of hair behind his ear. I thought I was going to lose the hand when he watched the movement suspiciously. Eventually he relaxed a little, and I let out a breath. I smiled at him, “Wren, does Eon update you? Would he have told you that if the roles had been reversed?”

“Yes, he never stops talking. It’s bothersome.”

“Do you think that Eon believes that kind of communication should go both ways? The Verseckt and the army pledged to work together after Anders’ fall. You agreed to that. Why are you working against your partner now?” Pink scoured my face as the corner of Wren’s mouth lifted in the beginnings of a snarl. He didn’t like what I had said and it didn’t look like he wanted to think about it either.

“I liked it better when we were fighting every other day and I didn’t have to deal with the drama that circles the lot of you constantly. Violence is simple and easy. Your brother wasn’t as whiney then. I’m starting to see the family resemblance.” I heard two simultaneous sharp intakes of breath and my gaze flicked to Talon who immediately avoided my eyes. Suman laughed loudly, covering his stupid mouth. I could do without the personal attacks that my husband obviously agreed with.

Wren crossed his arms, tapping his claws against his bicep as he looked at me. He was sulking. Our ancient, people-eating monster was throwing the quietest temper tantrum I’d ever seen. Part of me thought maybe this is how Wren acted when he felt bad about something. Was Wren upset? Were the three feelings he had left hurt? Eon rarely got angry with him and hadn’t denied him affection in years. True, that what happened in the war room could have been a result of Suman’s strange gift. Either way Wren was upset.

“You could apologize?” I ventured softly.

The shift was sudden and intense. I watched him process my words and then disregard them. Wren giggled softly and then outright cackled, “Oh, Sunbeam. You are of no help. I should’ve known better. Apologize. Me? For your brother being unable to control his emotions. Again? The flame wielder will regain control of himself and come to me. I don’t know why I even asked you.”

He jumped up, scaled the building closest to us like a disturbing human-like spider, and I rubbed my cheek. Without looking at my remaining companions, I started walking again. The palace had made a beautiful center for the Magik school, the headquarters for the army, and Wren’s Verseckt below. The teachers had entire wings with room for whatever they may need. Some things couldn’t be taught inside, however, so the training grounds still existed and so did the buildings that used to be for teaching. I followed the same path I’d taken day after day for weeks years ago. Tyren’s building was a little run down on the outside. He had no reason to keep up with its maintenance as it was mostly kept for his personal tinkering. He didn’t hold classes here anymore.

Suman strolled next to me and a small smile pulled at my lips as he tried to hide his interest. He was failing. His head was on a swivel, taking in everything. The building’s doors had been fixed after Anders’ assault had caved them in and I pushed one open. I lifted my hand to light the space and was hit with a rush of nostalgia and sadness. Flashes of students at tables flitted across my mind. Fallyn working on welding machinery together. Lyme, brown hair grown out and chaotic, muttering to himself about things I had never heard of as his eyes devoured books. Nyx would be in the back of the room, sleepily mixing things together that dripped from his fingers.

I never questioned what they were. The only time I had, he’d told me that most of the liquids were deadly. Poisons sold well and he wanted to be rich. That was all I needed to hear. Phelti would be darting around the room, voice harsh even though her words were normally full of praise. My heart seized as I glanced at the space where a shy redhead had sat, spinning small objects above her head. Ajul would be 23 now. She would have graduated with the others and gone on to live an amazing life. I tried to fight off the wave of melancholy, the crippling sadness and guilt that came with my memories of her. They would inevitably drag up thoughts of Athel and I would have a break down.

I set my eyes on Tyren’s metal door at the top of the stairs and ripped myself out of my downward descent into trauma. We didn’t think about that time. There was no point. I couldn’t bring them back. I could only try and make sure that no one ever suffered the same fate. Letting myself think about my time as Anders’ prisoner was counterproductive. Dwelling on that pain would succeed in nothing but making me want to crawl into a hole and die. Fingers gripped the back of my neck and Talon yanked me to him, planting a sloppy kiss on my temple and chasing away the rest of my pain.

“You did what you had to. We all did.”

“Ya’ know. The two of you are kind of gross.” Suman was on the spiral staircase already, leaning over the railing and pulling a face at us.

“I suppose you’d think that. Is affection in Dleth also frowned upon?” I snickered to myself and then pouted when I was interrupted by their joined voices.

Talon and Suman both deadpanned, “Yes.”

“Publicly anyway.” Talon explained as we caught up with Suman who had continued his ascent.

I raised an eyebrow, “You have always been outwardly affectionate. It’s gotten us in trouble.”

“That would be because Talon is a terrible Dlethian!” Suman called happily from above us. When we reached the top of the stairs I smiled as we stepped into a room I knew intimately.

“That’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me.” Talon mumbled and Suman laughed loudly. I tuned the two of them out, letting the space around me sink into my bones. This, this is what I remembered. Tyren had fixed the space when I thought he very well may just abandon the whole building. His window seat was stocked with various pillows in all shapes, sizes, and bright colors. There were three worktables made of a silver metal I didn’t know the name of. Tyren and Fallyn were constantly fiddling with metal and trying to better it. Speaking of Fallyn. He was at one of the worktables, fingers gliding down a long sheet of metal, sparks flying in their wake. An orange glowing line was left behind his Magik and I wondered what he was making. His white-blond hair was shorn completely off and his bare arms and hands were smeared with black. A safe distance from the sparks, sat a mini version of him. Orange eyes marked our arrival with barely suppressed excitement.

“Kalian! Talon!” Fallyn paused at the exclamation, fingers stopping as well. He noticeably jumped when he saw the three of us standing a mere ten feet from him. He pushed his protective mask up so that we could see his eyes as he sighed. His small blond companion was up and across the room, trying to physically scale Talon as he asked him about 70 rapid fire questions.

“Paras, leave him alone. Sit back down.” The boy flicked his wrist dismissively in my old classmate’s direction and Fallyn winced when an explosion went off near his feet. Fallyn jumped back and his sigh was probably heard from the ends of the earth as he patted away the flames at the bottom of the heavy apron he wore over his clothes. This was a man who routinely dealt with this problem. He wasn’t even phased.

“Mr. Talon, who’s your weird friend?” Paras asked. His head tilted back so he could look up at Suman who waved at him. The boys’ hair looked very much like an explosion itself. It matched Fallyn’s white-blond and if it fell flat, it would reach his ears. Unfortunately, the ends were singed a little bit in some places and it stuck out in all directions. Paired with his bright orange eyes splashed with flecks of red and yellow, the boy was striking to look at.

He was a little bit of a nuisance and made me nervous, but he was basically a good kid. I chewed my lip as I looked at the child. It was a pity Wyn hated him. It’d be nice for my child to have friends his own age and who weren’t…monsters. I didn’t just mean Wren. There was a lot of blood on his family’s hands. I didn’t want him to be forced into the kind of life all of us had led. Unfortunately, with strangers, Wyn was incredibly shy. Hopefully, school would help him open up.

It was a fool’s hope that he might befriend the fiery blond. The issue was that Paras was so loud. Even his Magik was loud and Wyn didn’t do well with high volume. It hurt his sensitive ears and he got overwhelmed fast. An overwhelmed Wyn was an angry Wyn. They’d be in the same class and I was happy he’d at least be acquainted with someone. I hated the thought of him ever being alone again. The way he was when we found each other.

“What are you two doing here? Tyren was supposed to be meeting you, I thought. The Council or something, right?” Fallyn wiped filthy hands on a towel he snatched from nearby as Suman coaxed the little boy into making another small explosion. This one was at least aimed away from the people in the room. Suman clapped excitedly and Paras beamed, rambling about the different things he could already do at eleven. Sorry, eleven and one half.

“Tyren wants to see Suman’s gifts. We figured the safest place would be here. Away from prying eyes.” I smiled and Fallyn shrugged. He glanced between Paras and Suman, then flipped his mask back down. I turned to watch Suman when Fallyn’s fingers sparked up again.

“Wait! Mr. Talon! You never said who this is! He’s new!” Paras stopped rambling about himself long enough to make the realization that his earlier question had gone unanswered. He practically vibrated back to Talon who laughed.

He patted the boy’s head affectionately, “He’s my cousin, unfortunately.”

“That makes sense. When I met you I thought you were weird, and you are. So, it makes sense your family would be weird too. Except for you Mr. Kalian. You’re not weird at all. Promise.” I laughed softly as he looked away from me, blush staining his cheeks and the bridge of his freckled nose. Talon chuckled and rolled his eyes.

Does everyone have to be obsessed with you? Do I get no reprieve? I have to constantly defend my claim?

Anders hated me?

He was still obsessed with you. It’s fine. I’m not worried about him. This tiny heartbreaker is more concerning.

I laughed out loud and crossed the room, wrapping my arms around Talon’s waist as he hugged me to him. Paras had returned to detailing the many exploits of his short life to an invested Suman. I would give the man credit. He was horrible with adults, but he had a way with children. It was almost sweet. He was absolutely crazy but there was an endearing childlike quality to him.

“What’s your Magik then? All the Zusammens’ friends have crazy Magik and you’re Mr. Talon’s family! You must be super strong!” Paras gasped, eyes alight with excitement.

“Alas no. It’s not strong at all. I do little tricks that are entertaining at best. To change the subject, quite abruptly I apologize child, where did that awful last name come from?” Suman was sitting on a desk now, one leg crossed and the other dangling down.

“Verloren meant ‘lost’ and my parents disowned me. We didn’t want to keep either name. Zusammen was Tyren’s suggestion. It means ‘together’. We thought it fit.” I shrugged, still cuddled up against Talon.

“That’s horribly, disgustingly, romantic. It makes me a little sick.” Suman fake gagged. Paras laughed and nodded, agreeing vehemently that love was “gross”. Suman looked out the window, amusement slipping for a moment, “I didn’t know that’s what our name meant. Fitting.”

I watched his brow furrow, a deep line appearing between his eyebrows. Paras, bored with his sudden seriousness, skipped over to his brother. He leaned far too close to the sparks for comfort and Fallyn brought his leg up, extending it and using it to kick his brother away. He didn’t stop working or even raise his head, definitely used to this antic as well.

“I am so sorry it took me so long! Hanja was…having trouble.” Tyren came in, hands fluttering in front of him. He looked a little upset and I reminded myself again to stay out of things that weren’t my business. If the incident earlier with Wren had proven anything, it was that I wasn’t in a place to give advice.

“He seemed far more moody than normal. Is he threatening to retire from teaching again?” Talon chuckled and I was silently pleased someone had questioned the issue for me.

“Oh, Talon. That’s a daily occurrence. No, over the last year he’s grown far more serious about…well leaving.” I jerked from Talon’s arms and could see that even my partner’s face looked surprised.

“As in the country?” Tyren nodded and I crossed the distance, taking his hands in mine, “Is this something you want as well?”

“I’m less convinced. We’re not old, but we are getting older. I don’t want to uproot to try and settle somewhere new. On top of that, we’d be leaving all of you behind. We have family here. Blood-relates or not. This issue has been leading to disagreements. Almost every day.” Tyren’s thumbs rubbed gently over mine. I felt like I was losing my mind. I took everything back. I wanted boring. I wanted Loren and Amaris happily swinging crazily around each other in their strange life. I wanted Eon and Wren’s easy relationship that seemed to be exactly what they both needed. I had to have the stability that was Hanja and Tyren steering the lot of us in the right direction when we went astray. We were adults, but most of us still looked to them for their viewpoint and experience. It hurt my chest to think of them no longer being nearby.

“Well, whatever you two decide, I hope he knows he won’t get rid of us that easily.” I smiled and Tyren laughed brightly. He pulled me into a hug and I wrapped my arms around him. He needed it more than I did then and he squeezed me tight.

“Anyway! On to more positive matters!” Tyren separated from me and looked expectantly at Suman. He’d drifted to the window, a teal pillow squished in his hands. I’d never noticed how long and thin his fingers were. Was there any fat on his body? Gods.

“It’s nothing special. I’ve told them over and over.” Suman strode over to Tyren who looked only a bit nervous to be close to him. Suman lifted his hand and grinned as the most repulsive screams ripped through the room. They were so loud that they startled Fallyn enough to stop his work. Paras inched closer to his brother, hiding behind him as Fallyn turned to stare at us. This was more on par for what I expected from Suman. The birds and ocean he’s shown Wyn were a surprise. He laughed at our reactions, his eyes taking in the room. Then he saw Paras. Wide, fearful, orange eyes peeked around Fallyn’s side. It was like he’d forgotten about him. The screams cut off and were replaced with a song-no a lullaby. It was hypnotizing, a woman’s voice singing softly in a language I didn’t know. Then it hit me. My memory dragged me back to an alley and every other instance where Talon had whistled or hummed a song. It was this one. When I looked at him, his eyes were fixed on Suman’s empty palm.

His cousin looked a little sheepish as he cut it off, curling his fingers into a fist and dropping his hand. Talon took a step forward, but Tyren didn’t notice and descended on the newcomer, “Fascinating. These are sounds you’ve heard I’m assuming?”

“Yes.” The screams were still embedded in my brain and I stared at Suman. Sumerion had destroyed his family. He’d only survived because his grandfather had use for him. I thought of Wyn. He’d lived without us for more than half his of life, but I couldn’t imagine him being alone now. Suman had been orphaned at two. Could just one person we met have a decent upbringing? Or at least not a horrific backstory filled with suffering created by those who were supposed to care the most. I glanced to little Paras. Little, happy Paras. It helped a bit. As far as I knew, his and Fallyn’s parents were still together. Poor and they had to receive scholarships to attend the school, but that hardly mattered. They were good people. Happy people. Fallyn was a little odd, but he wasn’t tortured like the rest of the adults that made up my inner circle.

“That’s not all, Suman.” I crossed my arms, raising an eyebrow when he smiled cheekily at me.

“I can make people angry.” He shrugged as if that was enough explanation. For him, it was.

“Through sound?” Tyren asked, having to look up at the other man.

“I think? Or a mixture of that with vibration. I’m not sure. I just do it. It’s instinct. I can’t explain it.” Suman shrugged. Tyren stepped away, a pad of paper and pencil appearing seemingly out of thin air. He began writing hastily, sneaking appraising looks at Suman every once in a while.

“That song. Where did you hear it?” Talon’s voice was so soft, I barely heard it over Fallyn’s metalwork. He had apparently decided there was no threat. Paras still watched Suman wearily.

“I don’t know.” Suman shrugged, “It’s one of the oldest sounds I have. That and the screams. The screams are the oldest.”

Tyren, completely lost in his research, dove into asking Suman questions. He struggled to answer most of them and I used the opportunity to smash myself against a clearly troubled Talon again. I twirled his hair around my fingers as I kissed his chin, “You recognized it.”

He shifted to rest said chin on my shoulder and I slid my hands up, one toying with the hair at the nape of his neck. I felt him pull me across the connection and I went willingly.

 

My eyes slipped closed and when they opened, I was small. My insides twisted painfully. I had a sneaking suspicion I wasn’t going to like how this ended. Young Talon’s memories usually left me in tears. This memory didn’t have the taint of despair and pain, though. I was walking through the dark and I could hear sniffling. My heart seized. Was tiny Talon crying? I could see pale feet padding over a wood floor and hands that weren’t mine pushed open a door just a crack. I wiggled through, still sniffling and saw that I’d entered a bedroom. I was at the side of the bed now and I reached over, tugging at the blanket.

Someone rolled over and my breath caught. It was her. The woman from the very first memory I’d ever seen from Talon when the connection had begun. She sat up, rubbing sleep from her eyes, “Talon, Schnucki, what’s the matter? Why are you crying?”

Her long white hair fell over the side of the bed and it looked like someone had ground the stars up and mixed them with clouds to fashion hair for her. She picked me up and snuggled me between her and the still sound asleep form of Talon’s father. I sniffed and a fist rubbed at my eye. Fingers stroked long hair away from my face and I saw my small hand reach up to fist in hers. It was so soft and slid against my fingers like silk. That explained why Talon had such nice hair. Her lips pressed to my forehead and she quietly began humming the now familiar song. After a while she added words, trying to be careful to not wake the other inhabitant. It didn’t work and soon, arms wrapped around us both and a deeper voice joined the quiet lullaby.

 

I ripped myself from the memory as tears threatened. We shouldn’t have done it with other people around. I looked up at him, ready to console. But Talon didn’t look upset. He smiled down at me and rubbed circles on my hip. I smashed my cheek against his chest, “You’re not sad?”

“It’s one of the only good memories I have of them.” Talon shrugged, “I have another one, but it ended with Maylen making fun of me for being a baby.”

I looked up at him and he shifted in discomfort, “What?”

“You never told me that. Talon were you a mama’s boy and a daddy’s boy at the same time? A needy little thing?” He tried to push me away but I only clung harder, giggling, “Did your big brother pick on you? My poor baby! Poor baby Talon!”

“Gods get off me! I’m not sharing anything else with you.” He groaned and I laughed harder at the red dusting his cheeks as he shoved at the arms locked around his waist. When he succeeded in freeing himself, I noticed both Suman and Tyren were watching us. Tyren was smiling and shaking his head. Suman was snickering at his cousin. Paras was giggling in the back of the room and even Fallyn had flipped up his mask, humor in his eyes.

“Stop staring at me. Are we done? Gods, I’m sick of being in this damn room.”

I grinned up at him, “Yes, Schnucki, we’re done.”

Sometimes I think about how different the dynamic would be if Talon had an older brother.
I don't know why, but I think if Maylen had survived, he'd be hella hot.
Also, someone potentially the same size as Talon, picking on him??
In a way that only an older brother can?
😤
🖤D
Schnucki-kinda like sweetie but there’s not really English for it
Copyright © 2021 Demiurge; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 21
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

The most perplexing item in this chapter to me is why Suman would be included in a meeting of the Council in the first place when they are dealing with sensitive matters. He's not a member, but a foreign emissary. More accurately, he's a hostage and, as we've witnessed, a particularly dangerous and unpredictable one.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
19 hours ago, drpaladin said:

The most perplexing item in this chapter to me is why Suman would be included in a meeting of the Council in the first place when they are dealing with sensitive matters. He's not a member, but a foreign emissary. More accurately, he's a hostage and, as we've witnessed, a particularly dangerous and unpredictable one.

With what we've seen of his powers, Suman could easily manipulate his way in or coerce an invitation out of any of the Council members. By completely unnerving anyone who would question his presence, he avoided close scrutiny. In fact, as soon as Loren challenged his character, he pushed the man into violence that pulled everyone's attention.

A sneaky snake's gonna sneak, but maybe he did it just to find out if he could -- y'know, test the proverbial waters.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
4 hours ago, Danners said:

With what we've seen of his powers, Suman could easily manipulate his way in or coerce an invitation out of any of the Council members. By completely unnerving anyone who would question his presence, he avoided close scrutiny. In fact, as soon as Loren challenged his character, he pushed the man into violence that pulled everyone's attention.

A sneaky snake's gonna sneak, but maybe he did it just to find out if he could -- y'know, test the proverbial waters.

Evoking an emotion in people is far different and more unpredictable than controlling them the way Anders did. He didn't finagle his way in, but was included as a matter of course. This is quite clear.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I remember correctly, Kalian absorbed some of the Soul Eaters power when he was destroyed. He was also able to resist Anders. It's entirely possible he's immune to Suman's power.

  • Like 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

Evoking an emotion in people is far different and more unpredictable than controlling them the way Anders did. He didn't finagle his way in, but was included as a matter of course. This is quite clear.

I don't know, sub-sonics and infrasound can make a person incredibly suggestable, even completely hypnotize them. If Suman can do that, he can include himself in pretty much any discussion. I'm not saying he did that or he's capable of that level of control over sound, just that it's possible.

How he ended up seated at the table wasn't stated. I assume he was included because the other envoys were also invited, perhaps in the interest of transparency, but we don't know for sure.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
55 minutes ago, Danners said:

I don't know, sub-sonics and infrasound can make a person incredibly suggestable, even completely hypnotize them. If Suman can do that, he can include himself in pretty much any discussion. I'm not saying he did that or he's capable of that level of control over sound, just that it's possible.

How he ended up seated at the table wasn't stated. I assume he was included because the other envoys were also invited, perhaps in the interest of transparency, but we don't know for sure.

His presence in the room seemed normal to everyone there, but I find it strange. Every country has secrets.

Sound is indiscriminate. It was affecting everyone in the room except Kalian. This is a chaotic power. Suman has no problem with its chaos. As he said, all he needs to do is stay ahead of it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
5 minutes ago, Demiurge said:

@drpaladin haha joke’s on you I work nights for job #1. It’s my dinner time 🤣

Popcorn is an important food group

I've always stayed up at night and always still ate breakfast in the morning.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I am so pleased that this conspiracy-laced comment section is hilarious. Extremely helpful since Talon’s memories usually have me in tears as well.

Suman seems to be an less than eloquent liar.

Schnucki ❤️

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well well well... My assumption re: the goblin boys was made based solely on the a/n from the previous chapter. Having now been witness to the pigtail-pulling & moderate corridor-shoving this chapter brought, random assumption has turned to cautious excitement. I need the goblin duo. Whether or not I get it, I fully realise, lies in your hands, boss. But yeah, need.

Again with the pumpkins... smh. Poor kid probably woke up one day wondering what the hell happened. Who's gonna tell him he's a plant?

Concur with the above commenter, this conspiracy-abundant thread is hilarious. And probably more right than wrong, think we've all been around the demiurge block more than a few times.

Kelian fascinates me. He's such a selfish, insecure, slightly left of all there, little sod so much of the time, the rest though, he's a freaking boss.

I'm sure big brother would be hella hot but I think we're maybe forgetting - or just overlooking - the charm of skinny emo boys with cool jewellery. And dubious intentions...

Excellent chapter, boss - setting us right up for falling directly into all your traps! Just the way we like it (aha aha).

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..