Jump to content
    Demiurge
  • Author
  • 6,354 Words
  • 2,986 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Incandescence - 1. King of Grey

*Implied Violence
*Described Wounds
(With the warnings can you guess who appears in this chapter?)

My early twenties were spent escaping an arranged marriage, discovering I possessed an earth-shattering gift, falling in love, and preventing a hostile takeover of my country’s government. The other half seemed to be dedicated to paperwork and bureaucracy. Fighting for my life had been replaced with boring meetings and holding my tongue to keep the peace. I was still young but I felt tired all the time. I woke up tired. Every day was more of the same and I often found myself staring out windows wondering how we’d gotten to this point. I hadn’t wanted a life of adventure when I was younger. The gods knew that the time I spent after leaving home was terrifying. I spent most of it fighting for my life. Now…it had tilted too drastically in the other direction. I rolled my head on my shoulders and let the thoughts fall to the back of my head where they belonged. There was no use complaining. People needed me. Whining about being bored was selfish. There were matters at hand that needed to be attended to. As per usual.

We were on a slow, dreary journey. It was a waste of power to jump a group from border to castle, so the entire ten-day trip was done on horseback. At one point, I’d caught a glimpse of sunlight, but it’d been short-lived. It seemed that nothing positive lasted long here. I scanned the grey sky, seeking out any break in the clouds that may expose the sun. No luck. I sighed and felt a gentle press against my mind. It drew my attention to the left. The cause jerked their head to clear their face of thick dark grey hair. Talon’s smile was still sharper than the normal man’s, but his canines no longer extended unnaturally. They were just a little pointier than normal. He grinned at me and raised an eyebrow in question. The eyebrow itself drew my focus for a few seconds. It had a small scar running through the center, cutting a neat line in the hair. I frowned and faced forward again. A close call when we hadn’t been together. The worst kind in my book. It had happened on the last mission he’d taken as a member of the Verseckt. He was now retired, albeit a little reluctantly. He may have been…gently persuaded to make the decision.

I shook off my thoughts yet again and watched the red dirt pass under the horse. We were close now. The trip from Syrin to the capital of Dleth was a long one and I was grateful it was almost over. The one home wouldn’t be as bad. The destination far better. I rubbed my cheek and heard Talon yawn. My back and thighs were sore from being stuck on a horse and I was looking forward to a break. The entrance to the city looked like the border wall. Simple stone erected high with a wooden door. There were guards milling about on the top of the ramparts. We didn’t slow and the gate opened for us. At least we didn’t have to argue to gain admittance every time like we had when we’d first started this stupid alliance.

We continued down the main street. No matter how many times we visited, it never ceased to amaze me how different Dleth’s capital Eichrin was from Syrin. There were only guards out and it was eerily quiet. I’d never explored the city, but as far as I could tell, there was one, large, main road that led to the castle. More roads branched off and houses were stacked tightly along them. They were packed so close together that the people were basically living on top of each other. The houses were small and sad. Dleth was known for its ridiculous amount of precipitation. In every form. Due to this, the fronts of the buildings were water damaged and were tinted faintly green. People here couldn’t catch a break.

The atmosphere was heavy. Like the countryside. My first impression when we were traveling was that maybe everything going on had colored my opinion of the country. Then I’d visited again. I was right. The picture in my head of Talon’s birthland was accurate. It was a bleak place. Naturally. I had no idea what made people want to settle here hundreds of years ago. Frowning, my gaze flicked from the houses lining the main road to our end goal. Eichrin Castle was an ink blot on the bland backdrop. Its spires stretched high into the air, piercing the grey sky. When I’d first visited a year ago as a 26-year-old, I’d made the mistake of gawking at the architecture. I’d marveled at the strange carved monsters leering down from the roof. Later, I’d had to sit in court while its inhabitants did nothing to quiet their gossiping and badmouthing. About me. Apparently, openly showing wonder was a mock-worthy offense in Dleth. I was labeled childish rapidly and unworthy followed soon after. I didn’t fit next to Talon. The long lost son of Dleth had returned and everyone had seen that he was strong, handsome, and powerful. They took notice and he’d become a subject of great interest. It didn’t seem to bother anyone that he was already married. They didn’t care. I obviously didn’t deserve him.

I hated this place.

While lost in my thoughts, yet again, we’d reached the stables and courtyard. We dismounted and fingers slid into mine. A shoulder bumped into my arm and I looked down. Green eyes with every color of the rainbow stretching from the pupil stared up at me. At twelve, Wyn was nearly to my shoulder already. I had a sneaking suspicion that he may turn out nearly as tall as Talon. I rested my head on top of his wavy black hair and smiled as Talon pouted at us.

“Rude. You two are always leaving me out.” He sighed dramatically and I heard Wyn snort. I rolled my eyes, keeping my hand in Wyn’s as we followed Talon.

“Everyone likes Wyn better. You’d think you’d be used to it by now.” Talon’s head turned slowly and his grey eyes swirled delicately with black met light grey with the faintest hint of blue. He narrowed his eyes at his sister and she grinned. He lifted his arm slowly and his middle finger popped up. She covered her mouth in fake outrage and I groaned softly. Wyn patted the hand linked with his sympathetically. The combination of the siblings could be…trying. It was even worse than Talon and Amaris. It’s like they thought they needed to make up for lost time. To my disbelief, bickering didn’t start and we kept walking.

The stone courtyard stretched in front of us. At the end stops the black doors that led into the castle. They were carved with scenes of battles long past that I didn’t know the names of. One thing I did know was that they depicted the mass executions of Magik users. Very inviting. A shout sounded and they creaked open. I was never excited to enter the castle. I didn’t see it that way. It was like entering a tomb. Limited light, silent, and neglected. The dark tapestries and runners looked dirty against the dark stone and in the dim light. It was built strangely as well. You entered a long hallway, arches all the way down on either side, leading who knew where, and a doorway at the end. Through this door, another hallway that branched in three directions. Straight would lead you to the grand hall, I didn’t know where the right went, and the left led to the room the king used for meetings. For business. That’s where we were going today. Guards surrounded us now, they’d circled as soon as we’d entered and I was set on edge. I didn’t like how close they were. It brought up…less than pleasant memories.

I knew we were safe. That wasn’t it. Either Talon or I could level this castle by ourselves if we wanted to, no. The feeling dragged me back to a time when I’d thought I was helpless. When I had thought I was at a madman’s mercy. I pulled Wyn closer and squared my shoulders when one of the guards got too close. He glanced at me from behind a silver helmet that matched the rest of his armor, a black surcoat stretched over his chestplate. He gave me a dirty look and I raised an eyebrow. A soft chuckle left me and he took a step away when Talon glanced back over his shoulder. I scowled as we reached the door and then started down the other hallway. I should be happy that they thought so little of me. It would catch them more off guard if it ever came to war.

More walking and there was a moment of tension when Wyn shoved a guard for bumping into him. The guard moved to retaliate and came face to face with Rah. Talon stared over her shoulder with wide eyes, murderous intent fanning black through his irises. The man was lucky Rah was closer and stood between him and her brother. Talon was different with Wyn. Generally, he threatened peoples’ lives with a smile and little emotional investment. With Wyn, any amusement was absent. He could go from laughing to downright frightening in seconds if he thought the boy was threatened. I couldn’t say I was unhappy with the development. Even so, I waved the siblings off and gave the guard a pointed look. Wyn was herded in between Talon and I. The group reluctantly began to move again and, at last, we reached our destination.

That was when my patience began to slip. I stared for a full thirty seconds. The room was simple. A large, square mahogany table sat in the middle. The king, Sumerion, sat on one side. A grand chair made of black spikes and curves stretching out, around, and underneath him. It was an echo of the crown that sat atop his head. The walls were slate grey and the floor was the same stone the entire kingdom was built on. A row of windows sat on the wall farthest from us and that was it. There was nothing else. Nothing to give the room an ounce of personality.

The reason I stared, my main issue, was that there was a single chair on the side opposite the king. Our side. I grit my teeth even as the king looked from one of us to the next with fake confusion. He shook his head in a play on embarrassment, “I wasn’t told you would be joining my grandson. How unfortunate.”

“You were told. Repeatedly. By correspondence. Over months.” I said through a tight smile, struggling to keep my composure. His favorite past time since Talon had married me was blatant disrespect that he knew I’d smooth over to keep everyone calm. Another reason people in his dark court thought I was weak. A smile tugged at one corner of his lips. A silent victory.

“We were aware that Dleth was lacking in many ways, but I was unaware of the tragic chair shortage.” Talon growled from beside me.

Hanja had been successful with both Rah and Wyn. The boy had partial hearing restored. He also had his devices in and could manage without them, but he signed so only we’d understand. Disrespectful old crow. Cut him in half dad.

“Tempting kid.” Talon mumbled, fingers playfully tugging the hair at Wyn’s’ nape.

“Talon. Sit.” I ordered, keeping my eyes on Sumerion’s. The king’s amusement fell and slipped into a glare. I wasn’t in the mood to play today.

“You’d let him order you around?! You are a prince! You outrank him!” I lifted my chin in silent triumph as Talon slid into the chair while his grandfather ranted. He grew angrier as I smiled politely.

“Quite happily. You seem confused as to who holds the power here. I am much more afraid of him than you. I live with him. He knows where I sleep.” Talon waved his fingers and I slid mine over his. Three chairs of shadow and light spun together. Light swirled with dark into seats, arms, and backs. Lyrah nodded once in approval and settled herself on one.

“Wyn.” He made a soft noise of frustration, set on glaring daggers at the man across the table, “Little love, sit.”

He pouted softly, throwing the look over his shoulder at me before he did as he was told. At last, I sat and linked my fingers on the table, “Now-“

“If you insist on being disrespectful. You could at least dress appropriately.” This argument I had been ready for. We tried to remain civil, but as a group we had been of one mind this morning. That mind was very petty. Most Dlethians wore subdued greys and black. That was pretty much it. Sumerion had reminded us repeatedly. Out of spite, Talon wore white. They had to be the only white garments he owned. He’d dressed down as well. His long-sleeved shirt was streaked with red dirt, hood now hanging off his head. His pants were streaked with red as well, but I was almost positive that these stains were blood.

Unable to give up black entirely, his boots, family ring, and the cord holding the golden sun pendant that hung to the center of his chest were the only touches. I smiled as his thumb ran slowly over the white wedding band on the opposite hand from the black ring. With full sight, Lyrah had leaned into color. Her shoulders and collarbones were bare, the metal coin from when she’d been taken from Talon hanging against her pale skin. Crimson silk sleeves extended down her toned arms and torso. The top reached her knees with slits up to her hips, exposing black leather leggings and boots.

Wyn was happy as always to engage in hostility. Be it passive aggressive or…just aggressive. He wore a forest green shirt, tan leggings tucked into darker boots, and a gold jacket with the moon curved around the sun on the back. It was a smaller version of the much more obnoxious jacket I wore. The fabric had metallic stitched in and was reflective. I had matching pants and black boots and a black undershirt. My black moon pendant held my hair away from my face and I knew without the king voicing his opinion, that I was the worst offender. Not only was I wearing color, but I was advertising the fact that Talon and I were joined. How dare I?

“You are embarrassing yourselves and me. The white, red, and the gold-“

“Congratulations, I’m happy that you know your colors.” Talon grinned, head tilting to the side.

“You look like clowns!” Sumerion yelled and then paused as Wyn made a great show of reaching up and flipping his hearing devices out of his ears.

I’d rather be deaf.

Talon grinned proudly, ruffling our child’s hair and I let loose a long-suffering sigh. Sumerion glared at me. He knew better than to look at Wyn with anything less than a smile. I held my tongue on most things. That was not one of them. I’d slap the legacy right out of his blood line, so help me.

“Speaking of clowns…” Rah murmured softly and I turned. Talon and Rah’s cousin Suman slinked through the door we’d come in. He looked half awake and annoyed, guiding long pewter hair away from grey eyes that matched the rest of his family’s. A dark grey shirt hung off his torso, partially tucked into tight black pants. With a start, I noticed he was barefoot.

“You are late.” Sumerion huffed.

“You are still somehow alive. We seem to be equally unhappy this morning, Sumerion.” Suman’s nose scrunched as he came to stand by the table, leaving plenty of distance between him and the king.

“Your majesty.” Sumerion corrected with a sharp glare.

“I’ve told you more than once that I don’t want your crown. Give it to the kid. I’m sure he’d do better with it.” I released tension I didn’t realize I’d been holding in my shoulders when Wyn laughed softly. Suman crossed his eyes at him, sticking his tongue out to the side.

“He’d probably run the country better.” Talon agreed, shrugging. The king was losing his temper again, sputtering in rage. I rubbed my temples. Talon and Suman had an interesting relationship. They were brutal when united against a common goal, namely their grandfather. I had to stop them from really rolling out a verbal assault.

“We have business to discuss.” Rah interjected and I threw her an appreciative smile.

“Ah yes. I quit! I’m done being your emissary!” Talon announced, throwing his hands up and grinning.

“Excuse me? I never agreed to this. I have said time and time again that Talon is the only acceptable option. Talon is-“

“Yes, I’m aware of your unhealthy obsession with my husband. However, soon you will not have access to him. He has other responsibilities and he simply won’t have time. You’ll have to get over it.” I shuddered as I felt a tremor of lust over the connection.

“Who are you to tell me anything? I am a king! You, Kalian Alauis, will never be anything more than a disowned, useless, wh-“

“No. Finish. Go ahead.” Talon leaned forward, grey nearly absent from his irises as he smiled at his grandfather. Sumerion had cut himself off as the windows against the wall slammed open, shadows creeping over the floor and in through the now open glass. The king schooled his face into neutrality as Talon’s fingers rested on the table. They began curling around the wood as his anger simmered beneath his skin. Wyn’s eyes were narrowed and out of the corner of my eyes I could see vines creep up the legs of the table. This was going bad fast.

Suman clapped like a child, giddy, “Yes, do. I want to see what happens. Cousin Talon’s reputation is so…fun. His violent little adolescent is also fascinating.”

“Talon, calm down.” I hooked my fingers in Wyn’s hearing devices, securing them back in his ears, “You, stop.”

They both frowned at me. Wyn was easier so I focused on him first, staring down at him until the vines started to recede. Then my attention shifted to Talon and he visibly flinched when he received it. He mumbled petulantly and slumped back into his chair.

“Now,” I huffed out an exasperated breath, “first, you got my name wrong. Zusammen. Kalian and Talon Zusammen. I know you hate it but get it right. Second, Lyrah will be your new emissary. She’s more than capable.”

“I refuse to recognize the name change. Talon’s last name and his very life is my legacy. You can’t take that from me with a silly little ring and some exchanged words.” Sumerion smiled sweetly at me.

“I bet I could take it from you with something sharp or my Magik. Keep ins-“

“Talon. Anyway, that’s all there is to say. This is not a discussion.” I reached over, wrapping my fingers around Talon’s wrist and rubbing the skin on the inside soothingly.

“I’ll be taking over right away.” Lyrah added, meeting her grandfather’s hard gaze, unflinchingly. The king was steaming, cheeks tinted red as he tried to hold down his temper. His eyes flashed from me to Lyrah and then all the way over to Talon. Suman had hopped up, sitting cross-legged on the table with his head hanging back. He stared up at the ceiling with a pleased smile on his face. Sumerion’s eyes found his other grandson and I saw the gears in his mind slowly start to turn. He rested his chin against his fist, fingers pressed to his lips as he thought. After a long moment, he rested his hands on the table, palms flat.

He met my eyes suddenly and smiled in a way that unsettled me, “Very well, but I have one condition. There will be two. One of your choosing and one of mine. Suman will be the other.”

Suman’s head snapped up and he shot his grandfather a withering look. I exchanged a glance with Rah and Talon slid through my mind.

No. He’s unhinged.

Talon, we can watch him. What harm will it do? It may help us in the end. We can keep him from murdering your grandfather and throwing the country into chaos. If it appeases your grandfather at the same time…

No. Suman is damaged. He was raised by Sumerion. That should tell you enough.

“We accept on a strictly trial basis for now. Suman can return home with us. You’ve never been to Syrin, correct?” I tried my best to smile pleasantly at my husband’s cousin.

Suman’s face twisted into a sly grin, “Sure little Sun prince.”

“He is not a prince!” Sumerion hollered.

 

*

 

Awkward and tense. I had been looking forward to the trip home, but so far it had been grueling. Talon and Suman spent the time sizing each other up. They’d never had this much time in such close quarters and I didn’t know if either knew how to respond to the other. Lyrah avoided Suman as much as she could. She had an automatic distrust of her cousin. He made me a little uneasy, but I’d dealt with far worse. The only member of our group completely at ease with the newcomer was Wyn. To say that made me more nervous was an understatement. We had crossed the border and were now in the middle of the Humiad Forest. Small blessings. We were making good time.

“Is it strange when you pass through again?” Talon mumbled as he came up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist. I leaned back against him. We stood at the edge of camp, the others around the fire. The trees were as tall as I remembered and more eerie at night.

“A little. I’m glad the reason for the journey is less awful. I wasn’t in my right mind the first time I saw the forest. I was so scared we wouldn’t find you.” Lips brushed my neck and my head fell to the side. Lips moved up my neck and pressed behind my ear.

“You did. Lucky you.” I leaned my head back on his shoulder to look at him, frowning. He chuckled softly and nuzzled the column of my throat, tightening his arms around me. I heard laughter and as it grew, it started to pull my attention. Wyn had moved to sit next to Suman by the fire, which I already didn’t like, but to my utter horror, there was sound coming from his hand. Leaving Talon’s arms, I crossed to where they were sitting. Footsteps followed close behind mine. I glanced to the left where Lyrah was also staring in shock.

“Birds.” Wyn smiled. Suman nodded and returned the smile before shifting his fingers. The sound of waves reached my ears and I knew my eyes were as big as saucers. It made sense. Lyrah, Talon’s brother, and their father had all had Magik related to sound. It didn’t make sense that their branch of the family tree was the only one gifted with Magik.

“You have Magik.” Talon stated blandly. Suman looked up and blinked. The noises abruptly stopped and he slid his hands under his thighs.

He shrugged, eyes lit orange by the fire, “parlor tricks really.”

“Does Sumerion know?” I asked as Wyn frowned at where the man had hidden his hands. I’m sure it was strange for the boy. Magik was celebrated in Dimian. Dleth’s way of thinking was so foreign to us. The thought of hiding one’s gifts-being ashamed of them-was strange.

“Does Sumerion know that you’ve failed with your other emissary as well?” Suman’s head cocked to the side in a motion far too like Talon for my comfort. A lazy smile split his face as all of us exchanged a look. Except for Wyn of course, who busied himself with his leftover bread from dinner. Talon’s eyes met mine and I felt a nudge over the connection. I shrugged.

“Loren was pulled for a specific reason. That’s none of your business.” Talon crossed his arms over his chest, black jacket now thrown over his white ensemble.

“Could it be because tensions are high and the Illithian king isn’t as cooperative as he initially claimed? It seems that Dimian is struggling to keep allies.” Suman’s smile grew and I felt Talon bristle. This was why Suman bothered me. When we’d first met him, he’d seemed deranged. A crazy man who’d almost fallen off his horse from laughing. I hadn’t believed the reports that claimed he was plotting to assassinate his grandfather. Then Talon had started trying to fix relations between Dleth and Dimian. We’d seen glimpses here and there of a different man. He was far more intelligent than anyone gave him credit for. I didn’t know who the real Suman was and that worried me.

“How do you know that? Sumerion wouldn’t give you access to any information that he thought might give you an advantage. He thinks you’re worthless, but he still knows you want him dead.” Lyrah frowned and pulled her hair over her shoulder.

“I would hope so. I do comment on his continued commitment to breathing every day.” Suman smiled and stood. Talon didn’t move out of the way and Suman smiled again. He didn’t avoid the taller man. Suman’s chest pressed against Talon’s and he patted his cheek affectionately, earning a confused frown from Talon. Few people weren’t intimidated by him and he seemed at a loss. We watched Suman waltz to his separate tent, movements uncoordinated and gangly. He wasn’t much shorter than Talon. He was the same height as Eon, but slender, with long limbs.

“Take Wyn and jump.” Talon fingers grazed my jaw. He was still staring in the direction Suman had left in.

“He makes you that nervous?” I questioned. I tried to keep my voice down. My eyes flicking to the child happily munching bread a few feet away. Lyrah’s eyes were on us as she listened.

“The Magik is a new factor we never considered.” I mulled her words over and chewed my lip. She was right. We had never thought he had a gift and we had pegged him for a threat before that. Suman was a mystery because of what we didn’t know. His education and training weren’t information that were offered up to us freely. It seemed that even though Sumerion didn’t trust him, he didn’t trust us enough to betray his secrets either.

“We have no idea what he’s planning. He’s wild and unpredictable.” Talon said. We both looked down at Wyn who looked up at us with a raised eyebrow, hands signing quickly in question. My fingers were moving to reassure even as I wondered what our next move should be. I didn’t like the thought of leaving the siblings alone with their cousin, but at the same time it may be a good idea to warn those back home in advance. Talon and Rah could handle themselves. There was some truth to what Suman had said earlier. Our alliances weren’t doing well. Loren should have arrived in Syrin by now. I closed my eyes and dropped my hands as I tried to run over our options. What was the best course of action here? I wish I had Hanja’s brain for a moment. He would think circles around this problem.

In the end, I thought about Wyn getting caught up in whatever Suman was up to. I didn’t know what it was and I didn’t care. If he somehow tried to use my child against me I could not be held accountable for what I did in retaliation. They thought demon Talon was bad? I’d make him look docile. I stepped forward, holding my hands out. Wyn looked up at me, frowning.

“We’re leaving.” His frown deepened and a spear of apprehension drilled through me when his eyes dipped to Suman’s tent. He rose slowly and slipped his hands into mine. I hauled him into my body and spared one last glance at my partner and Rah. Talon looked upset, holding the back of his neck as he looked down at the two of us and then away. Rah nodded once, a stern expression on her face.

“I’ll see you in a few days, love.”

Talon looked up as I spoke, “Get my house in the second ring ready. He can stay there.”

I nodded as light slowly began to pick up around our feet. It swirled faster and Talon stepped back. I sighed and the light wrapped around us. Wyn clutched tighter to me, his face buried in my chest as the world whipped by outside the cocoon made of my Magik. His fingers loosened and when I opened my eyes, we were on the front steps of our house in Syrin, The House of Waves.

“Inside.”

“Where are you going?” Wyn frowned up at me and I could see him physically bracing himself to argue. This was unfair. Wyn was supposed to be my child. He was mine first. When, in our years as a family, had he become a smaller Talon? The world did not need two of them. I could barely manage one.

“Go inside, Wyn. Now.”

“Why?”

"Because I told you to.” I frowned down at him and he shot me a dirty look before yanking the door open and disappearing into the dark house. I could see lights on where the dining room and kitchen would be. Lydia was probably cleaning up from dinner. Good. She’d get the disobedient child in line and to bed. I curled my fingers into my palm and light wound around the door handles. Then I wrapped it around myself and shuddered as I felt power ripple through my body. Yet another house in Syrin, this one also familiar.

“Welcome home Sunbeam.” I jumped and looked up. Wren’s upper body was dangling from the balcony over my head. He and Eon had taken over my parents’ house when it was clear they had no plans on leaving their estate. It shouldn’t surprise me that the little monster was hanging precariously off something. His hair was shorter now, only reaching his chin and he wore a shirt that was so oversized it hung around his ears. His hands were stretched down toward me, face downturned as pink eyes studied me.

“Wren. Evening.”

“You didn’t even bring my boy?” He dropped in front of me, his clothing making an audible “whoosh” sound. His lips pulled down in a pout as he walked a circle around me.

“No, sorry. I haven’t brought Wyn.” I rolled my eyes as Wren’s pout intensified. He turned on his heel and shoved open the double doors leading to the courtyard. My mind flashed back to all those years ago for a moment and I sighed softly. There were great swaths of fabric stretched across the open space to protect Wren’s sensitive eyes from too much direct sunlight. It had inadvertently made the space prettier. In the middle of the day, the sunlight would shine through the bright fabric and paint the white marble in beautiful colors. I smiled as I followed the smaller being, stepping to the side to check in the fountain. There were full peony blooms floating on the surface of the water. Every time I visited the flower was different. I had no idea who, between my stoic brother and his violent monster partner, insisted on the fountain being stocked with fresh flowers. I liked the mystery so I never asked.

“What’s Eon up to?” I asked as we climbed the stairs.

He led me down a hallway, “I would venture to guess he’s still whining. You have good timing.”

That did not comfort me. I bit my lip as I took in the navy shirt that hung to Wren’s knees, the sleeves swallowing his arms. He kicked open another set of double doors. These ones were new, burgundy red with an orange dragon in the middle.

“You couldn’t warn me that you were going to bring my brother in?” I heard my brother sigh and caught a glimpse of far more of him than I needed to see. I whirled away, covering my eyes.

“Oh, dearest fiery one, your brother has come to call. I’m not your servant.” Wren scoffed and I heard mattress springs creak.

“Sorry Kal. You can look. It’s safe.” I let out a breath. Wren was reclined on a massive bed that I didn’t look at long. My eyes darted away at the first long smear of red. Looking at my brother wasn’t a much more appealing option. Eon scratched the back of his head, his hair a mess of short spikes. His lip was bleeding. There was blood all over his mouth and chin. So much that it was dripping on his chest and the floor. My eyes catalogued a bite mark on his lower abdomen, his right shoulder, his left pec, and his neck. There was a trail of blood down his inner thigh also on the left side that started where blue shorts ended.

“Gods Eon.”

“Don’t give them any credit. That was all me.” Wren called from the bed. Eon shrugged and I rubbed my cheek. Wren sat up and it drew my attention. The low light in the room still revealed more than outside or the rest of the house. Wren’s cheek was bruised, finger marks on both sides of his neck. His mouth was also bloody, most likely from biting, but his lip was also split and swollen.

“You two are terrifying.” It was better not to ask questions. I had learned long ago that I didn’t want the answers. I’d walked in on it once. On Eon’s damn war table. Wren’s claws and teeth had been buried deep. I’d seen my brother’s face and that’d been the end of any worries I’d had. The two were perfect for each other and I wanted to stay as out of it as I could. I pressed my hands to his neck and shoulder, mumbling softly. Red and gold light lit under my palms and the bloody holes started to close. Eon’s hair had grown out a little and I wondered if Wren was slowly convincing him to let it go a bit. He still missed the beard and wild hair Eon had while we’d been on the road. Clean cut Eon made Wren pout. I switched my hands to the other bites and chewed at the skin on the inside of my lip. He lifted the leg of his shorts dangerously high. The bite here was vicious and took me longer to heal. I didn't think it could get worse. Then I blinked when Eon turned and let out a slew of curses that would’ve made Talon blush.

“Isn’t it great?” The blood was drying now, but it had been running down Eon’s back freely for a while. I was shocked my brother wasn’t lightheaded. Or unconscious. Deep scratches and gouges covered the expanse of it and I stared as I noticed bites traveling down his spine.

“Were you trying to kill him this time?” I gasped as my hands started frantically moving.

“Sunbeam, do you really want to know what I was trying to get him to do?” Wren gave me a serrated toothy grin and Eon groaned softly in mortification.

“Kal, why’re you here? I thought you had a few days yet.”

“Things didn’t go according to plan.” Eon stiffened and turned as I finished. Wren hopped up and disappeared through a door. His claws skimmed over my shoulders as he passed. Eon waited for me to speak, waving me over to two navy wingback chairs with a small table set in the middle. I sat and he remained standing.

“He didn’t want to accept Lyrah, but he did.” I met ice blue eyes with orange flecks that flared when I continued, “He had a condition. He demanded Suman also become an emissary. He’s on his way now with Talon and Rah.”

Eon ran a big hand over a tired face and I saw small fingers slip over his hip, claws stroking gently. When his arm moved, I saw Wren wiping at Eon’s back, an almost tender look on his face. I smiled and averted my eyes. Heavens forbid someone catch Wren caring for someone. Especially my brother. Wren bypassed defensive and chose hostile when someone implied he had feelings for Eon.

“This could be good.” Eon tilted his head back and forth a few times as he thought. He pressed his teeth into his lower lip and then met my eyes, “It’ll help us keep an eye on the crazy cousin.”

A wet cloth slapped over Eon’s shoulder and Wren walked away from us, throwing himself on the bed. Wren had seemingly decided he could clean the rest by himself. My brother turned to look, following the small white head. He faced me and stifled a yawn, “Tyren and Hanja will want to know. As well as the rest of the Council.”

“Agreed. I’ll let you sleep and call everyone together tomorrow.” Eon ruffled my hair and was already making his way to the bed when the first of my light appeared.

“Love you Wrenny!”

“What did this human just call me? Sunbeam I will-“

I laughed as light ripped me from their bedroom and dropped me at the top of my home’s staircase. I glanced down to the doors to confirm that my light was still wrapped around the handles. Things were so much easier when all of our problems were solved by simply killing the source of said problem. Diplomacy was much harder.

👋
I tried to write other stuff. I really did.
This damn universe.
Just when I think I'm out, it pulls me back in.
I can't quit you!
🖤D
Copyright © 2021 Demiurge; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 26
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I may have screamed when I saw this story. 😃

WHY DID THIS POST AGAIN? I’ll come back and add my thoughts on this chapter. 
 

OK, I finished it. I’m so glad you couldn’t write anything else! I’m so glad you’re getting the band back together! 
 

I’m worried about Suman’s effect on Wyn. He can make the kid hear anything he wants, and better than ever. It’s gonna be a problem. 
 

Hurray!! Lolllll

Edited by Geemeedee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
On 11/16/2021 at 4:59 AM, Demiurge said:

@drpaladin I missed them.

Oh Suman...

crazy madness GIF

Oh heck yeah! I’m not sure why or how I missed this new book posting but I’m on it now! 

What a great start with the timeline jumping forward just enough to enjoy Wyn as teen in a tween body! 😝 But the kid does have good logic and wit, or is that the patience of Talon…”Disrespectful old crow. Cut him in half dad.”

Likewise the diplomacy internally has made great strides but ole Granddaddy Jackass Sumoron proves himself every bit as manipulative and persistent as we’d come to expect from the previous book.

Edited by Philippe
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I managed what, a day, day & a half? Not that I was trying to stay away mind, I just needed to try & catch up on some of the things I didn't get to last week because I was too busy sitting in a tree reading a book... and maybe there was a tiny bit of trying to avoid clicking the title just yet  because I am weak and need sleep. But eh, what doesn't kill you makes you more fun and all that jazz, right?

Anyway enough nonsense, let's get on to the (bright red fish-shaped) flag planted, somewhat unscrupulously if you ask me, right in the middle of the VERY FIRST CHAPTER...

"What harm will it do? "

- Sunbeam because he is, in fact, dumber than a bag of farts and falls into his writer's traps every.single.time.

Glad to see we finally - FINALLY - have a dragon emblem (and for such a deserving duo, too!) but I cannot pretend that I'm not also deeply disturbed & more than a little disappointed, not to mention offended af by the colour choice.

Orange is reserved soley for pumpkins (and other dubious orbicular bits of vegetation that by any other name would still be recognisable & avoidable due to being so coloured) which I'm sure you already know since those laws were passed eons ago, so I can only conclude that you have a hidden agenda at play - or hope for that to be the case, at any rate - and suck it up... Very begrudgingly. With much moaning & groaning & grumbling. And occasional snapping of jaws and raking of talons on behalf of my poor defenceless cruelly-turned-into-a-pumpkin brethren...

 

Great intro, boss - looking well forward to visiting with my favourite sunshiney claw-boys (& friends, maybe even more so the friends tbh) again!

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..