Jump to content
    Demiurge
  • Author
  • 5,498 Words
  • 865 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Incandescence - 26. New Management

The tension in the room hadn’t dissipated entirely, but Rah seemed unphased.

“Perfect. So,” she smiled as more flame rushed across the table. Her and Eon were oddly in sync and I made a mental note to ask later how long she’d been here. She waited for a few more seconds and out of the corner of my eye, I saw Eon tap the table. Little marks appeared on the map, “We have limited numbers, but I’ve brought you some men. It’ll help, but to be honest, things in Dleth are…” Rah stood straighter and clasped her hands behind her, “Tense.”

“How will we know we can trust the men you’ve brought then?” Tyren asked, his face concerned.

“They are my most trusted. Those loyal to me.” Lyrah smiled.

“Great, so you’re leaving yourself defenseless? How do you know these ones are loyal?” Talon asked.

Lyrah gave another small smile, “Suman, Loren, Wren, and Hanja are coming with me. Don’t worry brother, I’ve made sure. Take my word for it.”

“You’ve all agreed to this?” I asked as I turned to them, my eyes drifting over everyone mentioned.

“We’ve been planning while you were away. Couldn’t sit here twiddling our thumbs!” Tyren said, smiling uneasily at me.

“Plus, between you two and Eon, there will be more than enough power when we move on Serran.” Hanja grumbled, focused on re-braiding the bottom half of his hair.

“Tyren will stay here. Along with that Meryck, Amaris, and whomever else we can find.” Eon said.

“We will help as well.”

All of us turned, and my heart stuttered when my mother and Anika stepped farther into the room. My mother’s eyes met mine for a moment before she looked around the table. Anika looked at me and something flashed over her eyes. She walked toward me and I stood. When she dragged me to her for a hug, my mind blanked for a few seconds. We didn’t hug. None of us. Eon and I didn’t even do it often and we had built a decent relationship.

“You saved my life. Again. Even though I’m worthless.” I wrapped my arms tighter and shook my head.

“Why should we trust you?” Eon asked our mother, his face again impassive.

Her eyes were so like my older brother’s and she observed him before nodding, “What a man you’ve become.”

“No thanks to you.” Eon said. He was like the Eon I had known so long ago. The one I had grown up with. The man who had hidden himself behind walls so high, it took a monster and war to tear them down. He stood, studying our mother, “Again, why do you think you should be trusted? Father sold us out too. I don’t know why I was surprised he chose his pride over us. He’s nothing if not consistent.”

“I am not your father Eon.” She said. Her voice was still quiet, but she was holding herself differently. Proud, but ready to defend herself.

“You don’t think I know who you are?” Eon shouted and it almost scared me out of my chair. Lyme’s eyes were huge as he flinched away. Wren turned, crawling across the table on all fours and into the bigger man’s lap. He rested his hands on Eon’s cheeks and rested their foreheads together. They spoke softly-too softly for me to hear anything-and Eon’s head fell back against his chair, his eyes closed as Wren ran his thumbs lightly over the man’s cheekbones. Then he smacked his cheek and Eon chuckled, his hands finding Wren’s hips and gripping tight. Lyme swallowed and looked away, still clearly shaken from my brother’s outburst.

“I know that I have hurt all of you, but Anika and I both have Magik. We can help. You can put me on the front lines if that’s what it takes. I want to help. This is my country and you are my family.”

“Your children haven’t been your family for a long time.” Talon said while he chuckled darkly, looking up at the ceiling. I felt anger simmer over the bond and I bit my lip.

“You’re right. Kalian, Eon, and Anika, I failed all of you. Even more, We have more family members I barely know. Your husband, Kalian and Eon, your partner. The children.” She stood closer now, letting us all appraise her, “I held a high position in the king’s military before I had Anika. I have skills that can be of use.”

“Put them on the front lines like she suggested. There are very few opportunities to betray us there.” Suman said flippantly, waving his hand in the air.

“Anika will not be on the front line.” Hanja hissed, “I just spent substantial energy healing her. I swear to the gods, I’ll switch to hand stitching and antiseptic.”

“They can come with me.” Rah said, resting her hands on the table in front of her, “Though, they must be on perfect behavior. Any missteps and I will throw you both in prison to await trail. With a war going on, I’ve no way to tell how long that will be. You will not be my priority and I will not have the men to tend to your needs. To be honest, we’re expediting the process and just resorting to execution. I’ve no room for anything but black and white. That being said, through marriage, we are family.”

”Barely.” Talon groused.

“I agree. Wherever I can help. I’ll go where you need me.” Anika said. Rah nodded and her eyes switched to my mother again.

“Wait, wait. You want to send people who we can’t trust fully into a situation where Lyrah already has people threatening her?” Loren said with a tight smile.

Lyrah looked to him, “The reason I need some of you-fighters-is because I plan to crush my opposition once and for all. Dlethians, above all else, respect strength and power. Why do you think my grandfather was so obsessed with Talon? Out of his line, my brother is the strongest Verloren to ever live. I’ve had to work harder because I am not him. It’s no matter. If I must force them in line or eliminate them, it’s what must be done.”

“You Velorens are a bit scary.” Lyme muttered, scratching the back of his head.

“Very well. Wren you’ll stay here then.” Eon said.

Wren reared back on his lap, “You’re leaving me behind? Have you finally overheated your brain?”

Eon caught his hands and looked at him seriously, “You have to watch the children. You keep everyone safe. We’ll talk about it later.”

Wren crawled off Eon’s lap, stepping back up onto the table. He walked away and crouched back in his spot, ignoring Eon as he muttered to himself in a different language. Rah dropped her hands from the table and looked to Lyme. The scholar hopped up like he’d been burned and smiled nervously at us. He spread papers out on the table and as he began to speak, his nerves slowly disappeared. Knowledge poured from his mouth and we all watched as he went over how the army in Serran had fought in the past. There were strange weapons of all kinds. Many that Lyme said he’d learned through the grapevine. They had weapons that exploded at the end and shot something that could tear through skin. They had blades of course, and Magik.

“Their Magik users, according to slightly outdated numbers, rival ours. They could potentially meet us fighter for fighter. Unlike Dleth, or even Illiath, they’ve been building their fighting force. Their technology is remarkable. It’s truly fascinating. Weapons that are so forceful and violent, you simply cease to exist if they hit you.”

“Couple that with Magik, and the possibilities are…they’re downright endless. The army that we’ll be facing could also still be bolstered by Illiath even if they’re struggling to stay organized. That could mean more Magik users. We can only assume that they will have armed everyone with the poison, or as many as they were able. I’ve managed to gather some information on their new technologies and tactics, but their scholars are curiously tight-lipped.”

“So…we’re all going to die?” Suman quipped, eyebrows raised and lips twisted in a scoff, “Painfully.”

“No! I’m sorry, no! They may have advanced in ways that are impossible for us to predict, but we are far from resourceless! We’ve already taken quite a few steps to prepare. While it’s true that there are numerous unknowns, I believe we’re working feverishly in the right direction to meet them hit for hit!” Lyme said, waving his hands in front of his face excitedly. I watched a small smirk appear on my brother’s face and Wren turned his head to consider the young scholar.

“Nothing you said made me feel better.” Talon said, sighing, “We’re heading into a situation unprepared again because we’ve no idea what we have to prepare for. No offense Lyme, you’re brilliant, but you aren’t a fighter. Everything on paper is different. Serran has kept to itself for years and with good reason. It’s easy to build and build when you keep everything close to your chest. They’ve probably had spies here for years and we’re just now catching on.”

“We’re at a-frankly-scary disadvantage.” Hanja sighed heavily.

“We’ve been in worse positions. At worse disadvantages. We’ve been up against an ancient monster and we fought him off when we were practically homeless and on the run. That’s not even starting in on Mallex and Anders. The odds never seem to be on our side but we always pull through.” I argued.

“The most recent example would be Prince Rydian’s defeat.” Lyme nodded enthusiastically.

“Can we not count on luck every single time we plan something?” Talon groaned, rubbing his temples.

“It does seem risky.” Tyren agreed softly. His eyes were darting across the papers as if he could find a solution if he just looked harder.

My mother and sister had moved to stand behind Rah who clutched her hands behind her back as she listened to the conversation happening around her. Lyrah’s eyes narrowed as she looked at the map. She rested her hands on the table again and looked from Talon to me. She paused, staring at us. It felt like I could see the cogs turning behind her pretty eyes. She straightened again and clasped her hands in front this time.

“Kalian?” The voices around us paused as she smiled at me.

“Yes, Rah?”

“When you killed our grandfather, you created a near-trench in the middle of my throne room. Impossibly deep and quite wide. Talon?”

“What?” Talon sighed, resting his cheek on his propped-up fist.

“You cut Syrin’s palace almost in half, yes?”

“I was possessed and pissed off.” He shrugged.

“You weren’t fully taken over.” Wren interrupted, “Only when you saw what was happening to Kalian did you really lose all control.”

“Whatever, fine. I was closer to three-fourths possessed. Level of pissed off was pretty high though.”

“Oh Talon, darling. We’ve seen you do things that no man should be capable of. Your gorgeous husband as well.” Loren grinned.

“So? That’s why we’re going to Serran with Eon.” Talon shrugged.

“Could we create a separation between your country and theirs?” Lyrah asked.

“Or maybe some kind of barrier?” Lyme added, grinning at Lyrah. Lyrah twisted her fingers and waves of concentrated sound barreled over the map in front of us, narrowly missing Lyme’s papers. A crack dragged down the border between Dimian and Serran.

“That’s all well and good, but they’d still have access.” Hanja said, slowly pushing himself to stand as he looked at the table. The table shook and the wood grew up from the table, circling our territory and Lyrah’s. Confused, we all stared at the transformed wood and then each of us began to look around.

“I can help.” Wyn beamed from the doorway, Eira on his hip.

“How did you-“

“Since when can he-“

“Not happening. You’re not even supposed to be here. Where are your guards?” Talon growled as he launched to his feet. I was glad Talon was functioning because my eyes had returned to the table where Wyn had changed the wood. Plants, stone, wood, where did his powers end?

“They’re…indisposed.” Wyn smiled bashfully and when he looked back at the table, the wood rose a little more.

“He just manipulated Magik without using his hands.” Tyren said, voice filled with disbelief, “That is not possible.”

“Nor is using several different mediums to channel Magik. Why are we still trying to fit the boy into a rational box?” Hanja added, shaking his head.

“You’re not going anywhere. You’re going on lockdown like the rest of the country.” Talon said.

“But dad! I can help!”

“You can listen to what I tell you.” Talon growled. Eira looked around the room and let out a squeal when she noticed Talon.

“You have a fan Shadow Walker.” Loren grinned.

Talon ignored him, staring down Wyn, who was still probably a foot shorter than him. When Talon didn’t immediately come get her, Eira made angry little grunts. Then lightning shot from her small hand and Talon narrowly dodged it. He stalked forward, growling. He gripped Wyn’s shoulder and tried to forcibly turn him to the doorway. Wyn struggled and fought the best he could while holding the toddler.

“Both of you are working my last godsdamned nerve.” I heard him snarl before Talon dragged Wyn away and slammed the double doors behind them.

“I suppose that ends the meeting?” Eon sighed as he stood.

“We can continue without Talon.” Hanja said, pinching the bridge of his nose, “Kalian can pass everything along to his husband later on.”

“We leave for Dleth immediately. If things go the way I wish, I’ll get your men back to you.” Lyrah said as she drew herself up and smoothed her hand over her hair.

Her long black nails trailed over Wyn’s wall of wood before she shook herself and rounded the table. My sister and mother followed her, along with the men that had been standing behind her. Loren and Suman rose and went too. Loren grinning at us before saluting then bowing. His demeanor bothered me, but I didn’t have time to question it.

Hanja was far slower. He ran his fingers over Tyren’s curls before leaning down to kiss him softly. Tyren surged up and wrapped his arms around Hanja’s neck. The healer held my former teacher close and I looked away. I met Eon’s eyes and he looked back, he tilted his head toward his desk in the back of the room and I nodded. Hanja left after properly saying goodbye. The rest of the group waited patiently by the now open doors and Hanja grumbled complaints his entire way over to them.

“I’m going to make sure Talon’s horrible parenting doesn’t negatively impact my boy’s growth.” Wren said as he hopped down from the table and strolled out of the room.

“I…will be in my office should anyone need me. There are always things to plan and organize.” Tyren said through a weak smile, his eyes watery.

He didn’t wait to be acknowledged just like Wren hadn’t. Amaris left without a word. Her whole posture communicating that she was upset. A strange, gloomy feeling fell over me and unease slithered around in my stomach. Eon walked to his desk wordlessly and Lyme stared at his back. He noticed that I’d caught him looking and his cheeks flared bright red. He scrambled to collect all his papers into a stack. Then tapped them almost violently against the table to align them perfectly and avoid my eyes. I approached him cautiously like I would a frightened animal and Lyme stiffened as he held his papers to his chest.

“You were brilliant Lyme.” His head jerked up in surprise and his brown eyes flicked from Eon to me as if he was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

“I’ve no control over him.” I chuckled, taking a step closer, “How you feel isn’t my business.”

Lyme visibly relaxed and I handed him a paper he’d missed in his rush, “That being said, I feel as though I should warn you.”

Lyme looked at me wide-eyed again, his grip on his papers crushing them in his hands, “Warn me?”

“The kind of love that Eon and Wren have is unusual. There’s a lot of violence mixed in. Physical and otherwise as you’ve seen firsthand. That may work in your favor, it may not. One thing I am certain of is that they didn’t wind up together easily. They struggled and tried to resist it. There were a lot of obstacles along the way but they fought through them together. Sometimes literally.”

“Oh, okay.” Lyme answered, avoiding my eyes again.

“I’m not trying to discourage you. I just want you to know that troubles or not, their relationship was forged in blood and violence. That’s a hard bond to break.”

“I have-I should file these in my-the library.” He scurried away from me and I sighed.

“What were you two talking about that made him so nervous?” Eon asked casually as he organized his desk.

“When did you sleep last?” I asked. This close, I could see the dark shadows under his eyes.

“Why are you answering a question with another, irrelevant, question?” He asked, slipping a book out of a drawer I couldn’t see from where I stood.

“You worry me.”

“I’m an adult Kalian. I can take care of myself.” He said and his voice sounded as exhausted as he looked.

“Getting defensive only tells me I’m right and before you tell me to stop meddling, I’m done.”

“Glad to hear it. Again, what could you possibly have to discuss with the boy?” Eon asked as he finally looked up at me.

“You’re awfully interested in a two-minute conversation that I had with someone you refer to as ‘the boy’.” I answered.

To my absolute displeasure, Eon’s face stayed blank. I should know better. He was a professional at hiding his emotions and thoughts from the rest of the world. After his outburst earlier, I was positive his walls were even higher and more reinforced. Resting his elbows on the desk, he linked his fingers and rested his lips against them. He seemed to stare through me and everything else.

“Wren’s been downright violent towards him. He’s done nothing to deserve it.” Eon admitted quietly.

“Are you sure? I think Wren disagrees with ‘nothing’.”

Eon looked up at me startled, “What do you mean?”

I chuckled and rolled my eyes, resting my palms on his desk as I leaned down to his level. He was so ridiculously big, that I didn’t need to lean far. Eon was smart. He was one of the most intelligent men I’d ever met. He could lead an army. He was a weapons expert. He could strategize with the best of them. He knew and had mastered many things.

Those things were not social cues and skills. Our parents had stunted his growth in those departments. They hadn’t been important to our father. They weren’t important to be the perfect soldier. The silent and violent pawn that my father had molded since birth. Eon wasn’t stupid, but he could be oblivious.

“Lyme is attracted to you.”

Eon frowned at me, then frowned down at the book in front of him. He stayed quiet and then his frown was directed at me again,” “What are you talking about?”

“Eon, you cannot tell me you haven’t noticed. He tracks your every move. Hangs on your every word. He gets extra twitchy when you get close to him.” I could not believe this man. I was almost certain he was the densest person I’d ever met.

“He’s flighty and nervous. That’s how he is. He’s buried in books far to often to know how to conduct himself in meetings of this caliber.” Eon said, frown still in place.

“He seemed to be just fine once he got started.” I said, crossing my arms.

“Kalian,” Eon inhaled deeply before focusing on me intently, “Wren and I are struggling. War is bearing down on us. Our parents have been jammed back into our lives. I have more important things to worry about than a confused boy.”

“Confused?” My arms dropped and I stared at him, “Lyme may be naïve but he’s not a child.”

“If he is attracted me, it’s only because he doesn’t know me. Kalian, mind your business for once in your life. Please for the love of the gods.”

“Fine. Fine. I thought at first you were stringing him along, but now I see it’s just your social ineptness.” I shook my head, “Poor brother.”

“Why are you the way that you are? Gods, I liked it better when you feared me.” Eon said, letting out a long-suffering sigh.

“I don’t need to fear you now. That ship has sailed.” I grinned at him and Eon’s mask slammed down again.

“I have actual work to do. Get out. Go mind your little troublemaker.”

“I will. For now, I think Talon and Wren can handle it.”

Eon sighed again, “Repeat that sentence to yourself in when you’re alone until you realize how terrifying it is.”

When my brother started working on something, I assumed that was my official dismissal and I left the room. I rounded the corner and slowed as I saw Amaris waiting for me. She looked up when she heard my steps and her lips twitched up in a poor attempt at a smile. The expression on her face tugged at my heart strings and hurt my chest. I opened my arms and she dove into them. As we hugged, I felt moisture on my shoulder and felt her shake.

“Tell me I didn’t ruin my life.” She whispered. Her voice sounded miserable and I rubbed circles on her back.

“Ris, you weren’t happy. It doesn’t matter how amazing the partner is if you’re unhappy in the relationship.”

“I have no reason to justify why I wasn’t happy though!” She pulled away, rubbing at the smeared, wet kohl around her eyes, “Loren treated me better than I’ve ever been treated. He loved me. He took care of me. When he looked at me it was like he thought I was personally responsible for the stars in the sky!”

“Amaris, again, you were not happy. That’s not your fault. It isn’t Loren’s either. You two moved so fast and your relationship bloomed from proximity and shared experience. You want different things from life.”

“But the psychotic prince? He could’ve waited to move on! Then he parades their relationship around in front of everyone!” Her makeup was a mess now and I brushed her hands away, using my sleeve to clean up her cheeks.

“They hid it for a while.” I began to explain, “They both had horrific childhoods and I think it started as something neither of them were serious about. Then it…it became a lot more. He didn’t ‘parade’ anything around. Don’t attack Loren because you’re feeling bad.”

“You’re right.” She sniffed.

“Amaris, you didn’t want that. You didn’t want to settle down. You made a choice that you thought would make you happy and now Loren is doing the same. They care about each other.”

She looked at me blearily, “That’s the worst part! I know that! I know he deserves everything good in the world. I just can’t get over myself. First you and Talon. Now those two! I feel like I’m destined to be unhappy. My wiring is all messed up! Maybe I can’t actually feel the things I need to?”

I gripped her hands and pulled her back into a hug as she continued, “Oh my gods, I’m being so dramatic and ridiculous. I want the best for him. Really. I’m just a mess. My emotions are all over the place.”

“It’s okay Ris. It’s all going to be okay.”

“Kalian,” She pulled away again, “When this is all over, I’m leaving. I need to travel and figure out…everything. Who I am outside of being a spy. That’s not what I am. That’s what Wren made me and now I don’t know what’s left. I think I was using Loren so that I could ignore it. He deserved better and so do I…I need to start being honest with myself.”

Smiling, I nodded, “Just because some of us live a certain way, it doesn’t mean you have to. You can create your own life. Romanticize it. Stop counting on other things to make yourself happy.”

She smiled brightly at me and laughed while she rubbed her eyes again, “Gods, I feel crazy. I’d have to be to come to you for advice!”

I laughed, “Who are you going to go to? Talon?”

She groaned and blinked away the last bits of moisture in her eyes, “I feel like Talon would tell me I’m stupid and to fuck off.”

“Mm, maybe. If you cried like that in front of him, he might panic. You should see him when Eira cries.”

“Kalian.” I turned to her and returned her smile, “Thank you.”

“Of course. What are enemies to friends for?”

She laughed again and I tried to focus on that. Until I got home anyway. Then I would need to talk to Talon. Without fail, every time I got a strange feeling, something went wrong or someone died. As much as I hated to admit it, my nerves had been fraying more but the minute during the meeting. Eon had said we needed transparency and that extended beyond our official business. Talon and I were connected mentally and we still refused to open completely to each other. We were separate people, but that didn’t mean we should keep important things from each other. Talon couldn’t do anything about my weird unease if I didn’t tell him what I was feeling.

 

I pulled gently at a blonde ringlet as Talon held me from behind. Wyn was asleep on the other side of the little girl. He had his arms wrapped around himself, his face calm. He was growing up far too quickly. It was partially his environment, but a part of me knew that wasn’t all of it. From the time we met in the dungeon, he’d taken it upon his tiny shoulders to protect me. It extended beyond that even. He’d nursed me when I was sick and unconscious. I smiled softly as his nose scrunched. He’d even gone after Talon more than once on my behalf. Even if he was misguided. I reached forward, running my knuckles over his cheek.

“What do you think of this partial plan we’ve got going?” Talon murmured into the back of my neck.

“It makes me nervous. I’ve had a strange feeling since the meeting started.”

Talon’s arms tightened around my waist, “Strange how?”

“Impending doom?” I offered, wincing as he tensed.

“Well, we’ll have to address it. Tweak things until your instinct doesn’t tell you we’re going to fail.”

“It’s just a silly feeling. Everyone’s working so hard. I’m sure that by the time we’ve taken care of loose ends and ironed some of the finer details out, I’ll be fine.” Inside, I was berating myself. I had been honest. I’d told Talon how I’d been feeling. Then I’d tried to downplay it and convince him to ignore me.

“That may be true, but I don’t care. I’m not feeling great about things either. About the only thing I’m confident in is the crusade Lyrah is on. Your mother and sister being there does cast doubt on that for me, however.”

“Anika we can trust. Since she stayed with us, she’s never wanted anything but peace. She holds no animosity for us.”

“And your mother?”

Closing my eyes, I inhaled slowly before answering, “She seems different. My father is the same in every way besides being older, but she isn’t. She’s never apologized to us. Or at least if she has, I don’t remember it. Seeing Wyn and Eira seemed to hurt her. It was in her posture and eyes.”

“Regret can be driven by selfishness. She could just be making amends so she doesn’t have to deal with the guilt. To settle her own pain without meaning to address yours.”

“That may be. It might be the sad little kid inside me, but I want to believe her. I want it to be real. I wanted to be apart of their family for so long and now I might have a shot at it. It’s pathetic.”

“You don’t need it. We have our own family.” I rested my hand on the arm around my waist as I looked over the sleeping children. Talon shifted, “As much as I hate to admit it, our family stretches beyond this room. Everyone at that table was part of the family we cobbled together. The group of people that no one wanted.”

He chuckled bitterly and I turned in his arms, “I’m sick of fighting. I’m sick of all of it.”

“You know where I stand on ‘all of it’ my love.” He said as he rested his face in my neck.

“How would you feel about…returning to Krinn?” Talon’s head lifted and he looked at me as if he was trying to see if I was joking. I rushed on, “It was decimated. We could make it something amazing. We could do away with The Shift and there’s no reason people should treat you the way they used to!”

“No reason.” He chuckled and rolled to lay on his back, “I’m a monster to them Kalian. Marrying you didn’t change that. I’m an abomination remember? A Lost One.”

“That’s not who you are anymore. The Lost Ones aren’t stigmatized as much. You and Wren saw to that. You’re heroes here.” I snuggled closer, resting my head on his chest.

“I’m not going to argue.”

“We could leave the bureaucracy behind. We could live a more peaceful life.”

“Kalian, who we are isn’t ever going to allow for a ‘peaceful life’. We’re always going to be used in some way. Our powers are something that people aren’t going to ignore just because we say we don’t want to be bothered.”

“The Council is gone. I can’t be a member if it doesn’t exist. Eon and the others can take control.”

There was a quiet sniffling and Talon’s head turned, “The smaller demon is awake.”

“We’re not done talking about this.” I said as I rolled over and cooed at the girl.

She looked up at me sleepily and my attention drifted from her to Wyn. A wave of fierce protectiveness surged over me and looking at them like this, I knew I would be capable of violence I couldn’t have even fathomed before. I knew Talon felt the same. About all of us. The knowledge that we’d always have targets on our backs was sobering. They’d be passed to the children too. They already had, truthfully. We’d make them strong, of course, but it killed me that I couldn’t give them a normal life. They’d both been through so much in their short time and I’d give anything to rewrite their stories.

There were people out there who were evil. I used to think everyone had some good in them. You just had to search for it, dig deep. Mallex was the first one to shake my confidence in humanity. Then came Anders who’d shattered it. The people controlling Serran wished to do us harm. That was unacceptable and I was going to be on the front lines to show them how grave their mistake was. They’d been defeated before and rebuilt. If they refused to back down, I would leave nothing to rebuild.

I soothed Eira as she whimpered. Combing my fingers through her hair, she patted my chest and looked around, not awake yet. Talon shifted behind me and she made a soft noise and waved her chubby arm at him. Smiling, I propped her up so she could see him properly. Both her little arms were going now and she looked way more alert.

“Good morning runt.” I lifted her under the arms and shimmied awkwardly until I was facing Talon. His eyes were closed and his brow furrowed when I laid her on his chest. Sitting up, I smiled. Once again noticing just how small she was. Her eyes closed as her face smooshed cutely when she rested her cheek on him. Talon’s eyes didn’t open, but his hand came up and his fingers stroked gently over her back.

“Do you remember when you were so adamant that she wasn’t ours?”

His eyes blinked open and he glared at me, “Did I ever have a choice?”

I grinned and leaned forward to kiss him, “No.”

Copyright © 2021 Demiurge; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 20
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

@Geemeedee it’s because he refuses to admit he loves them. He’s more resistant to their charms.

Also, Meep’s just been ready to square up since day one.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

I’m completely stuck on a couple of things. Why would, how could you trust Anika? Most of her existence she has been awful to Kalian. Most. Majority! She’s been visited by karma frequently, I’ll admit. Must be a reason…

Their mother is nameless as far as I can tell. I reread the first seven chapters of Awaken (fascinating to revisit) thinking she and her sh*t husband may have been introduced there. Nope.

Confident that Rah can handle those broads. Loved her outfit. Talon’s ring ❤️

Aside from those objections (can’t dunk on mom properly without a name) I was so happy to sit down on a beautiful Saturday afternoon and read two offerings that I’d saved, like a favorite sweet, until I had until I had time to consume them whole. 🖤

#meepwillsavetheworld

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Gotta comment twice for this completely different subject. Paraphrasing about ‘sticks that explode at the end’ and ‘projectiles tearing through you’. Serran is the USA. Gawds help us all with them and their second am…never mind…

#meepwillsavetheworld ❤️

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Whatever happened to the antitoxin or anti venom that was produced? Wasn't it aerosolized? I feel like that hasn't been mentioned for a long time, nor has that been brought up in anybody's plans... 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Also, for the record, Kalian's dad would be in a dank dungeon somewhere for treason. Family be damned. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Haha, look at little Meep go!

It tickles me no end that Big T thinks he has any say over Eira claiming her place in their fam - she chose you bud, suck it up.

Kalian & his "impending doom"...smh. why is he still so impossibly dense? Like, yeah bro, you've got that prescient thing going for you, learn how to use it for the love of fuck...

Granny is about as redeemable as mouldy cheese, just use her for target practice or something already. And Anika? Ugh. How many times must her miserable life be saved by the brother she tried to bury under a trauma blanket? I mean, Kal, Kallie, Kalian my dude, you're a peach no doubt about it but man, enough with the "family" crap, 'k? They might be blood but they sure as hell are not family in any way, shape or form. They're compost. Biodegradable & good for plants. That's it.

Eon & his deathdoll are still cute though - thankfully. Hope they sort whatever nonsense they've got malingering under the bed ASAP. Would hate for Wren to have de-Lyme Eon... Unlikely that bookworm would survive that and book dude is Very Useful after all. Hey Mr Writer-Lord can't you wiggle your pen a bit & conjure up a love interest for poor old library boy? There must be someone who would pair nicely with a book-based organism yeah? Maybe Nyx. Or is he actually fraternising with the enemy??? Because that wouldn't work then. And Wyn is too young. Also spoken for if my spidey sense is anything to go by...

Lyrah is doing a bang up job of queening, really proud of her! Ama seems a bit lonely though, poor sausage...maybe it's time to give her another fish to fry, or is her dance card still full of tigers?

Excellent episode boss - thank you!

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..