Jump to content
    Demiurge
  • Author
  • 4,862 Words
  • 835 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Incandescence - 25. Little Queen

*talks involving violence

*Wyn*

Sitting on the lumpy mattress, I wondered how long I was going to have to stay in my makeshift prison this time. They were still cleaning up from when the council members had been murdered and trying to decide if there were any who’d escaped. The only reason I knew any of this was because I had one uncle who never held back with me. Said uncle was laying on the small dining table in the corner. He was on his back with his hands turning this way and that above his head. He looked so different from the Wren I knew. I wasn’t entirely sure I liked it. The new look didn’t seem like him.

“How do you all function with such stubbly fingers?” He mumbled, curling his fingers into his palms as he gave a more thorough study of his nails.

“I don’t know. They’ve always been this way.” I shrugged and flopped back on the bed, “How much longer?”

“I’ve no idea. You’ve Magik, if you’re bored, entertain yourself.” He sighed, letting his hands drop to rest on his chest.

“Are you and Uncle Eon in a fight?’ I asked as I stared up at the stone ceiling.

“What makes you think that?” Came the flat reply. It might sound like boredom to somebody else, but I knew my uncle. He was bothered by something.

“You two have been looking at each other weird and he laid into you for hurting the bookworm’s feelings.”

“In all fairness, I hurt the bookworm’s body as well. Your uncle’s too.” The table creaking was the only warning I had that Wren had moved. Moments later, he laid next to me on the bed, our legs hanging off.

“Do you not like him?”

“Firebreath or the bookworm?”

“Either I guess.” I curled into his side and closed my eyes as his now dull nails scraped gently over my scalp. Drowsiness instantly overtook me. This was how he’d soothed my nightmares when I’d been little. He wouldn’t speak, wouldn’t question. He’d just tuck me into his body and his fingers would work through my hair or down my back. He’d had his claws then, but not once did he ever scratch me with them.

“Your uncle and I are complicated. I’m sure most days he doesn’t like me. As for whatever his name is, no. I do not like him.” Wren murmured into my hair as he rested his chin on my head.

“Why? He seems okay. Weird. He talks to himself sometimes, but okay.” Words were hard as he continued to soothe me.

“There are discussions we do not need to have. I doubt your parents would think this one appropriate.”

“You love Uncle Eon.” I said.

“Whoever could have told you that?”

I blinked open my eyes, meeting his dark ones. We stared at each other for a long moment before he broke eye contact and returned his gaze to the ceiling. His expression looked like he was hurt. I didn’t know what to say or ask. Maybe I had gone too far. My dad had told my da repeatedly that people didn’t always want to spill their hearts to him.

“Do you think they’re okay?”

Being left alone was the worst thing. I had always hated it. I was taken care of. There was nothing I didn’t have and the rest of my family loved me, but a hole always reopened inside me when my parents were gone. My uncles and aunt Amaris did what they could, but it never completely distracted me from the fear that crouched at the very edge of my brain. Part of me still thought it would all go wrong and I’d end up back in a dark dungeon again. Everything was scary because I didn’t remember how I’d ended up there in the first place. What mistake had I made that I was thrown away? Thrown into the dark. Its prisoner until my da came into my life and saved me? What if I made that mistake again without knowing?

“They’re fine. Kalian is a force alone, with Talon there, nothing can beat them. The two of them are unstoppable.” I nodded, closing my eyes and relaxing into him again. His fingers started up their travels through my messy hair and I felt him speak more than I heard it as sleep took hold, “Nothing will ever pull us from you again. That’s my promise to you angel.”

 

*Kalian*

Having both of my parents standing in our home was strange. Rooms were being made up for them while Meryck took Anika to Talon’s house in the lower levels. She was more comfortable alone. Especially if my parents were in the picture. Our sitting room was quiet. Almost eerily so. Loren and Suman had gone off together once we’d arrived back in Syrin. Loren was back but his steps were slower, a wince pulling at his features. I’d given him life, but I hadn’t healed his wounds entirely. The edge had been taken off and now Hanja or anyone else could take over. It had seemed odd to me that Suman didn’t help, he watched Loren gimp along with his arms crossed. I wasn’t sure what was happening there, but it didn’t seem good. You’d think Suman would be happy.

I was still a bit tired but being vertical and conscious seemed like wins in my world. There would be no days long coma this time. Although, sitting next to my husband on a couch across from my parents was making the coma sound like a much more attractive option. Talon and my father were tense, backs ram rod straight as my mother and I exchanged uncomfortable glances. Amaris should be around somewhere, or Eon. Right now, I was nearly desperate for anyone to break us from the awkward situation.

“This is a beautiful home. Isn’t it Ellenion?” My mother tried, smile strained. My father refused to answer and I could feel Talon’s patience waning.

“Not your style? I’d be more than happy to return you to your home. It’s recently been remodeled, though. Unsure if charred would be more to your taste.” Talon said, leaning back and resting his arms on the back of the couch.

My mother’s hand shot out as my father’s temper flared and I glared at Talon, “Stop it. They’ve lost their home. You can at least be civil.”

“Sure. I’d love to extend my hospitality to the parents that threw you away for choosing your own safety over Mallex. The same parents that then disowned Eon for supporting you. Oh, yes, and the ones who got rid of your sister when she’d been through trauma I wouldn’t wish on anyone. Yes, those people deserve warm welcomes in my home.” Talon snapped back.

“Love, please.”

“We don’t have to explain ourselves to the likes of you.” My father sneered and I resisted the urge to bury my head in my hands.

“Stop it!” My mother shouted, her eyes fixed on my father in a way I had never seen, “Kalian and Talon saved our lives you ungrateful idiot! Your decisions lost us all three of our children and now our home! Keep your mouth shut for once!”

All three of us stared at her as she returned her hands to her lap, folding them delicately. She looked down at them before meeting my eyes, “We thank you for all you’ve done. All of you. Your friends as well.”

Talon’s long fingers slid up and down my back. I was surprised when he stayed quiet. Clearing my throat, I had to look away, “This is only temporary until you can be moved elsewhere. Eon and Wren live in your old home here so it’s a matter of finding you something else.”

“It’s our home. We never gave it to them.”

My patience snapped and a flare of Magik flipped our coffee table across the room. It slammed into the trim, just narrowly missing the windows, “I wasn’t making a suggestion. I wasn’t asking. You will go where I tell you to. You will do what I tell you to. Your assets are gone. All you had was Krinn and you couldn’t even take care of that. Your entire region was under my control and only by my grace were you allowed to stay in a position of fake power.”

My father’s mouth hung open; his eyes wide as he no doubt tried to come up with some kind of rebuttal. I heard the front door slam open and quick feet stomping across the floor in the distance. Wyn barreled around the corner and leapt onto the couch, blissfully unaware of the tension in the room. Tyren followed much more slowly behind, Eira in his arms. Wyn’s arms wrapped around my neck and he grinned up at me.

“Get your feet off me. You kneed me in the stomach, brat.” Talon snapped, but he couldn’t hide the contentment that drifted over our bond. Wyn beamed at him.

“Dad! Uncle Wren and I figured out I can do things other than plants!”

Talon smirked proudly, expression entirely smug, “Of course you did. You’ll have to show me.”

A soft voice broke the little bubble around my family, “This is little Meep?”

My eyes met my mother’s. The regret on her face told me she thought she knew it was him. Wyn shifted so he was stuffed between us. His eyes were wide as he looked between my parents. Their clothes were still soot and blood smeared. We hadn’t had time to get them anything clean. Wyn’s head tilted slowly.

“I must get back. Hanja will be weak.” Tyren said quickly. The teacher looked tired, dropping a very sleepy toddler into Talon’s lap. Tyren gave a small wave before leaving the room. Talon and the little girl looked at each other. He grimaced down at her and she shrieked while holding her hands up, giggling.

“You’re so needlessly loud.” Talon groaned. Talon was glaring at the child, even as he used his tunic sleeve to wipe her runny nose, “Disgusting little thing.”

“You have a beautiful family.” My mother said. Her voice was soft and pained. She straightened and smoothed some hair out of her face. A tight smile pulled across her features, “What are my grandchildren’s’ names?”

“We don’t have grandparents.” Wyn argued petulantly. His voice was sharp and I grabbed at his wrist, rubbing my thumb lightly over his skin. It was too late. Wyn was glaring at the other couch. He yanked his hand away from me so that he could cross his arms. Taking a moment to rub my closed eyelids, I tried to remember exactly when my sweet boy had turned into a small Talon. The world wasn’t ready for two of them.

“Wyn, don’t be rude.” He jerked away from me when I reached for him to brush his hair out of his eyes, “The toddler is Eira. She was rescued from Dlethian soldiers who had destroyed her village.”

“She’s darling. Can I hold her?”

“No.” Talon and Wyn growled together. Both were tense, glaring. I rolled my eyes.

“Maybe when…maybe when things have settled down.” My mother looked at me and I saw her deflate. She still managed to keep up her smile. My father had refused to look at me since I’d scolded him.

At that moment our housekeeper came into the room, saving us all from further communication, “The rooms are ready lords.”

“Please show them the way.” I huffed and met Talon’s eyes. He nodded and we stood almost simultaneously. Wyn followed as we left the room without another word. I marched us to his alchemy room as I listened to my parents go up the stairs.

Slamming the door behind Wyn once he entered, I stepped forward. I wrapped my arms around Talon and gripped the back of his tunic as I buried my face in the soft fabric that smelled like smoke and fire. An arm came around me immediately, comforting as always. His other arm was around the toddler, holding her up. Eira squirmed between us and I backed off a little, giving her more room. She was snuggled into Talon’s chest too, little fingers gripped the collar of his tunic. I wished that we could somehow go away. Take the kids and shirk off all responsibility. Run from everything and be a family without all the drama. A hand slid up and down my back again and I squeezed my eyes closed. It’d been a while since I’d almost broken apart and needed to have Talon hug me back together. There was so much to do and I wanted to ignore it all. Which seemed to be increasingly normal for me.

“Breathe.” Talon mumbled.

“I’m okay.” I answered quietly, “I just need a minute.”

“We don’t have much time. Eon is going to want to move against Serran as soon as possible.”

“I don’t care about any of that right now.”

Hands pulled at the arm wrapped around me and Talon turned us away from Wyn. A small, indignant, growl sounded before Talon yelped. He hopped away, gripping his foot. Miraculously, he managed to keep Eira against his chest. She thought it was the best thing ever and was cackling with delight as she was bounced around. Wyn nodded before darting toward me and securing his arms around my middle. Looking from Talon, to his foot, and then the ground, I frowned down at Wyn. There was a large chunk of dark colored stone of some kind.

“A rock? This is what you and Wren were working on?” Wyn beamed up at me and nodded.

“Fucking brat! I think you broke my toes!” Talon hissed, stumbling to his shelving. He set Eira on the counter and kicked off his boot before pouring a glowing blue liquid on his foot. Eira’s big blue eyes were huge as she looked down at the glow. Talon pressed his hand to her chest to keep her from falling forward. His other hand gripped the counter under his tinctures and his breathing slowed. His shoulders relaxed. I almost laughed at how small the girl was compared to Talon. His hand covered her entire chest and stomach.

Wyn frowned for a few seconds and then shrugged, “I said I would show you.”

Talon turned slowly, narrowing his eyes at the boy who hid his face against me, sniffling unconvincingly, “I missed you and da, daddy.”

“Uh, huh. Rat.” Talon snorted elegantly as he snatched Eira off the counter. He swung her around the small room and her shrieking made both Wyn and I wince. He stopped and stepped forward, pulling us both into his hold along with the girl.

“Did you save your home da?” Wyn asked as he looked up at me.

“No. We failed.”

Wyn’s face fell, “Then…why are they here?”

“Yes, Kalian, why are they here?” Talon echoed.

“They’re my parents. It made sense to bring the refugees here. There aren’t enough of them to leave alone in Krinn without jeopardizing their safety.”

“Oh, no. That part I understand. What I don’t understand is why your parents must stay with us. In our home.” Talon kept his voice calm and quiet even as his frustration swam over the bond.

“They don’t deserve it.” Wyn agreed as he leaned back more against Talon, “They’re mean to you.”

Rolling my eyes at their mercurial relationship, I took a step back, “Again, they’re my parents. It just…it feels like it’s my responsibility to take care of them.”

“Why? They didn’t take care of you. They wouldn’t take care of you or either of your siblings now either. It’s great that your mom seems to have had a change of heart, but it’s far too little too late.” The frustration was overlapped with protectiveness and I smiled at my husband.

“I’m okay Talon. This is just temporary.”

“Then find temporary housing like Tyren did for the rest of them.”

“No. I don’t know why I think it should be this way but that doesn’t change the fact that I do. They’ll stay until more permanent arrangements are made.”

“Your father needs to be questioned.” Talon said, his face dropping expression and his mind closing him off from our bond.

Fear and anger overtook me, “You’re not torturing my father, Talon.”

“I never said torture. They all should be questioned. Anika last and most gently since she seems to have suffered horribly again. I don’t trust any of them.”

Wyn looked between the two of us, eyebrows drawn down and a frown etched into his features. Stepping forward, I ran my fingers down his cheek, “Take Eira to your room please, Wyn. We’ll be up in a minute.”

“You’re going to fight.” Wyn said, frown somehow growing deeper.

“It’s going to be alright, love. Go on.” Wyn pouted and sent me scathing looks as he retrieved Eira from Talon and marched out of the room. We stayed quiet for a long time after the door closed.

“We’re not torturing my family.”

Talon met my glare, “Again, never said that.”

“That’s how you question people!” My voice came out much louder than I expected and I forced myself to step back mentally. Focusing on my harsh breathing, I made myself slow down.

Talon had crossed his arms, a single eyebrow raised as he looked down at me, completely unimpressed. His head tilted a bit, “Are you done?”

“Yes. I’m sorry.” He stepped closer, two of his fingers touching gently under my chin before he lifted it so I was looking at him.

“We’re on the same side. Always. No matter what’s going on. Yeah?” He said.

“Yes.” He kissed me and pulled me against him. I let my hands link behind his neck as he kissed my forehead then grinned.

“Stop being a fucking brat then.” I let out an outraged sound as I pushed weakly at his chest, looking away to hide my smile. He just held me tighter, “Am I wrong?”

“No, but you don’t have to be so rude!” I said as I rested my cheek against him.

“You implied that the only way I know how to get information is through torture. I was a spy and assassin, love. I have many skills at my disposal. Torture is just the easiest and most fun.” He said.

I shook my head and looked up at him, “It’s hard on you. I know it is. It was wrong for me to assume and basically accuse you.”

Talon waved his hand for me to continue and I sighed, “I’m sorry.”

“There it is! Nicely done!” Talon pulled away to clap and I shoved him into his worktable.

He smirked down at me, his chin lifting slightly. Something shifted and I moved forward, gripping his tunic and yanking him to me. This kiss was far different, there wasn’t anything sweet and soft about it and Talon’s fingers tangled in my hair before he pulled hard. It startled a moan out of me, but the ones that followed were swallowed up as Talon jerked my hair again to guide me how he wanted.

“Ugh, really? You two are disgusting!”

Talon rested his forehead against mine and his dark eyes were murderous, “How did I ever find that woman attractive? I’ll kill her.”

“Love you too Tallie. Anyway, You’ve been officially summoned to report.” I turned to look at Amaris with a scowl. She held up her hands, a huge grin on her face, “Don’t kill the messenger. This is from Eon. He needs to know you’re coming.”

“I was trying to.” Talon mumbled resentfully and I laughed as I pulled away.

“Fine, fine. We’re coming.” I linked our fingers and when I didn’t hear footsteps, I looked at Amaris.

“I’m supposed to escort you. Eon thinks you’ll stall.” Her smile was more apologetic now and I could feel the annoyed energy wafting off Talon.

“We’re coming.” I looked up at him, tugging his hand gently. Dark eyes dipped from glaring at the back of Amaris’ head to me. Talon’s eyes softened a touch, but his face was still thoroughly displeased.

As we started walking, Talon yanked me back to keep a slower pace with him, “Don’t think I’m not going to tear into your brother. Your family is four for five in annoying me and I am at my limit.”

“Well, on the bright side, Anika is in no condition to make you angry.” Amaris laughed and I smiled back at Talon, “Wait a minute. Did you include me in the count of people pushing you to your limit?”

Talon leered at me, “If it makes you feel better, you’re the only one who can vigorously make it up to me.”

Amaris mock gagged as Talon’s eyes slid up and down my body. I turned away, fighting a blush. This was ridiculous, we’d been together far too long for him to shake me up like this. Amaris rolled her eyes dramatically at me and soldiered on. Steps quickened behind me and a chest pressed to my back as teeth nipped the top of my ear.

“Walking in front of me is a great way to ingratiate yourself, beautiful.”

I shuddered and Amaris stopped, “Seriously? How are you two still this absolutely disgusting?”

“Don’t be jealous. It’s not our fault you’re alone. You did that all by yourself.” Talon said and I almost smacked my palm into my forehead. Amaris’ face fell for a moment and then she turned to begin walking again.

“Talon, that was a horrible thing to say!” I hissed.

“He’s not wrong.” Amaris said so quietly I almost didn’t catch it.

“See? I’m not wrong.” Talon said defensively.

“Tact Talon. Gods.”

“Never, ever, have I claimed to be tactful and if you’re all expecting that from me, you’re going to be sorely disappointed.”

 

 

The war room seemed so different when we stepped in. Eon, Hanja, Tyren, Wren, Lyme, and-to my surprise-Loren, and Suman stood around the table. As we moved further into the room, someone else caught my eye.

“Rah!”

A small smile came across her dark purple lips. Long wings were drawn along her lash line and deep teal was dusted over her eyelids. She wore a plum bolero jacket and then rest of her ensemble was black. Leggings, high-heeled, over the knee boots, and a lace trimmed corset that framed her décolletage and Talon’s ring and coin. Her hair was a little shaggier than when I’d seen her last and when I rushed forward, she smelled sweet and spicy at the same time. I briefly registered men in black and silver standing a few feet behind her. Still and silent. Guards probably.

“Hello, Kalian.” She only hesitated a bit before hugging me back and I marveled at the progress we’d made since we’d met.

“Greetings, little queen.” Talon’s words were teasing, but as we turned to look, I immediately clocked the pride in his eyes before it floated over the bond he’d reopened after we were done arguing.

“Brother.” To everyone’s surprise, Lyrah moved forward and hugged Talon quickly before stepping away. Talon tensed and then patted the top of her head awkwardly.

“Are you all done?” Eon groused from his seat, head resting in his hands as his elbows sat on the table.

There was unhappy grumbling that my brother ignored completely as we all sat down. There were a few empty seats, but I had to admit, this gathering felt right. The people at the table were trustworthy. Mostly anyway, Suman was still questionable and Wren kept things from us. Even so, I trusted them more than the men we’d been dealing with since we took over. Wren sat in his designated corner of the table, playing with something in front of him that I couldn’t see. Knowing him, it was probably sharp.

“The remaining Council members have been interrogated and put to death. They’ve been plotting right along with the other countries to sell us out. Feeding them just enough information to force us back three steps when we take two forward. The people at this table are among the few that I think are loyal and honest.” Eon looked around, meeting everyone’s eyes. I noticed that Lyme was nervously standing next to the chair on Eon’s left. Next to Hanja.

“Lyme, sit.” Tyren said, smiling encouragingly.

“Oh-oh no. That’s-that’s alright. I’m okay with the…uh…standing.” He nodded as he waved a hand frantically in front of him. His cheeks reddened as the attention in the room turned to him.

“Sit. We need to get started.” Eon said, his voice exhausted.

“I swear I’m okay sta-“

“Just sit you little weirdo!” Suman snapped and Loren’s fingers landed on the back of his neck. Suman crossed his arms and sat back in his chair, leaning into the other prince’s touch. Lyme dropped into the seat so quickly that it looked like he slammed his hip into the arm of the chair. His eyes widened, but he held back any sound as he shifted to be more comfortable.

“Illiath is not our priority right now thanks to Kalian and Talon. We’ll eventually need to plan for Krinn. We cannot leave it empty forever. That’s wasteful. Even so, our attention must turn to Serran.” Eon said, resting his hands on the table in front of him.

“We’ve no idea how much of the poison they have left. We shouldn’t just rush in headfirst.” Hanja mumbled snarkily, “Even though we seem to prefer to operate that way.”

“What happened to Rydian?” I asked, realizing that I hadn’t seen him when I’d woken up. I couldn’t believe it’d slipped my mind through all of this.

“Dead.” Suman answered.

“You did plenty of damage Kalian. Suman here took it from there.” Loren said, the corner of his lips upturning, “Although, with a small sharp knife, Suman did manage to get information.”

“How? I tortured him?” I gasped.

“Barely. It was more like a spy’s introduction to torture if you will. A childish attempt.” Talon yawned.

That got Suman to finally show emotion. He giggled and grinned at me, “I started skinning him. You just cut his hand off and stabbed him a little.”

“Just? A little?” I said incredulously. The Verseckt members all nodded knowingly and even Rah shrugged and joined the nodding.

“Anyway,” Eon snapped, “what did the prince tell you?”

“With the infighting between siblings, the Illiathian government is now segmented. They were struggling to keep all their moving parts organized. Hence, their wild flailing. Rydian. The youngest.” Loren said.

“So, who’s in charge now?” Amaris asked. Her expression was closed off as she stared down at the tabletop. I looked between her and the two princes who sat opposite her.

Awkward, huh?

Stop Talon.

Oh, come on, you were thinking it.

No, I was thinking I need to check on my friend.

Eon snapping his fingers pulled me out of my mind, “Hey, we need transparency here. Going forward, leave your weird mind talking out of the meetings.”

“Don’t fucking snap at me.” Talon snarled and I blinked in surprise. Talon and Eon bickered, but Talon’s response seemed more charged and violent than usual.

“Children.” Rah clapped her hands and stood, slowly moving around the table before she motioned to Eon. Fire flared over the wood in front of us and our regular map of Dimian and the surrounding countries appeared, “Let’s stay calm and on topic. General?”

Eon’s face was stone but he nodded. When Rah’s eyes landed on her brother, Talon sneered, “Sure. If he snaps at me again, I’ll rip his gods’ damned fingers off. I’ll be calm about it though. If that helps.”

“Talon, relax.” I said, offering my hand. Running fingers through his hair, Talon shot another dirty look at my brother-who returned it-and curled his fingers around mine.

Queen looked good on Rah as she easily took control of the room. Talon had relaxed a bit into his chair and Eon had stopped glaring daggers at him. It seemed like Dleth had done some good for her. Which were words I never thought I’d string into a sentence. That place was the worst and the fact that Rah had made anything of it was impressive. Especially given the uphill battle she’d been fighting since day one. I only hoped that she continued to have success and we weren’t going to have to add Dleth to the list of enemies again. If anything happened to her, I don’t know that it’d be a war. She and Talon weren’t the closest siblings to ever exist, but she was the only remaining member of his immediate family. He loved her, even though you’d never get him to admit it. If they hurt her. Talon would smear Dleth from the map in a wave of black and grey flame.

“Let’s get started now that the bickering has drawn to a close.” She smiled at me and I returned it, happy to have another ally against my brother and Talon.

Copyright © 2021 Demiurge; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 21
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Home. Sweet? Home.

Kalian's father is a complete idiot and he'll never learn any better.

As to Serran, why not lightning fast raids to destroy critical infrastructure instead of sitting and waiting for them to attack?

  • Love 5
Link to comment

You would think by now Talon and Eon had grown on each other...it seems they are both acquired tastes for each other..hahaha..

Thanks as usual @Demuirge

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Great chapter, fuck Kalian’s dad, we gonna find out what the hell Loren was thinking??

  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Lots of great interaction as the misfits regrouped with modifications of time/pairings. Squeals and stones that break the bones, such drama comes with kids in a supernatural home. Daddy Darko and Mommy dearest, invaders as refugees; mom seems to be breaking from dad’s control and dad has a new look and feeling… that is destitution. Talon is correct that serious questions need answers, while poor Kalian is still too forgiving without being shown remorse or explanations.

Poison as and in war still lurks over the horizon. Many unknowns but hopefully the prior expedition and Wrynn’s spies will enlighten the leaders before executing their plans.

@demiurge, a fantastic chapter to reset with family dynamics; the little ones, mom and dad, uncles and Aunt Queen, all bring renewed character to this adventurous tale. Please tell us the next chapter is near…as war is eminent, Wyn is plotting something! Hahaha 🤣 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Thanks you! As always  great chapters! Always look forward to each one !! Story line and characters continue to be exciting with thier twists and turns! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

So, a quick update. I scheduled the next chapter but time is an illusion so I set it for next week and the site won’t lemme change it. 
 

I was doing so well 🫠

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Demiurge said:

So, a quick update. I scheduled the next chapter but time is an illusion so I set it for next week and the site won’t lemme change it. 
 

I was doing so well 🫠

I fixed it.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Okay, questions...

Will we ever find out the backstory behind wyn? Or will he have his own story later on? Is there a way to unlock his earlier memories? Dealing with that either way, would help him be more secure in his current life. Could he possibly use his power talking to trees to listen in on the enemies to gather intel? It seems that they don't have a lot of choices, and have to use whatever advantage they have, despite the source and the age. And what happened to his pseudo enemy paras?

How is nyx? Have they questioned him to determine where his loyalties are? What about all the other people that were supposed to be helping him with the creation of the antidote? A lot of them were supposed to be non-magik, so they should have still been continuing to build up a supply even as nyx recovered... 

What about the vision that kalian had while he was in a coma? Is that something he can share with talon? Didn't Kalian actually Shield at one point? There have to be others that can do so...? Additionally, since kalian and talon can jump, why can't they sneak in and look at the situation in serran themselves? As talon is frequently proud to admit, he was a spy after all... Instead of being on the front lines, they could show up behind their lines and attack them from behind? At the end of this, since kalian is a walking weapon of mass destruction, I cannot wait to see him go supernova on the enemies. The thing is, no one has any idea really the extent of his power, including the man himself. It seems like he's able to make anything he wants out of it. He needs to start thinking of the box and trying to get really creative. Also I'd like to see him trying to create mental connections with those around him, especially wyn. Perhaps not as in depth as the one with his husband, but some way the telepathically keep tabs. 

And Wren.. this new changed Wren, I don't know what to think. Apparently he doesn't either.. and I hate not having him and Eon on the same page. Leaving aside the personal relationship-that I'm unsettled by at the moment (I miss their lovely & loving violence), these two actually head both of the military and defense efforts of the country. To not have them on the same page?! Yeah, that's concerning... I actually wonder how effective the little monster actually is right now? Is he still a monster? Damn, but I hope so. I feel bad for lyme, but not that bad. Unless they're going to add him to their relationship? But I don't think he could endure it. And I'm not sure I want him to...

And speaking of lyme, wasn't Kalian going to question him to see what other kinds of powers were, for instance if somebody could be a well of energy or power to boost people who are getting tired magically?

I would love to see Amaris happy. It sucks that she isn't right now, but hopefully we will get there. I wonder what her happily ever after will look like? I could see her in a three-way relationship... I think it might take something like that to keep her from getting bored.

Whatever happened to the other teachers, and phelti and mateo? And the other fighters/Former students? Who leads those efforts? Especially since Hanja left to go with rah?

What are they proposed to do with the government now? Oligarchy for the win? Then how would they choose their successors? And will people rejoice at the Duke's deaths or will they be upset? Since krinn is open, they could use that to help house people who have no homes or are in bad shape? Kalian and did want to fix the lower levels after all, at least it would offer them more housing and a better chance? Still wonder what they did with all the bodies from an entire town?! What the hell did they do, teleport them all to the middle of the ocean? That would take a ton of energy, and eventually bodies will wash up somewhere.

And the two crazy dysfunctional princes? Loren and Suman, the unlikely couple... That crap needs to be fixed yesterday. Somehow I just like them together. You know, with suman, I'm almost despondent that I never got his point of view at least once, or Loren's, but especially when his grandfather was killed. I wanted to know what he thought of that news. Never got a response or heard about it? That was his life's goal, to see Sumerion die, and it happened. And then radio silence?! Additionally, what do they plan to do after this work? One is a refugee with a bounty on his head from his original country, and the other one wants nothing to do with his birth country at all, save to help his cousin keep the throne, just so he doesn't have to hold it. So what's next, assuming they survive? Ironically, I could see them adopting a mess of kids. And there will probably be plenty orphans to adopt after this war.

And at the very end I actually wonder about the true mortality of any of them. Will Kalian and talon actually die or age? I kind of hope not. For their power seems too extreme and eternal, as they were given them by a difference species altogether. And gifted from former gods. And wren would be the other one I wonder about his mortality? He lived over 500 years so far, but is he fully human now? Will he age and die with his partner now? If so will he be resentful of it?

 

All right, that was all my ramblings. I am way too invested in this story. It is so good. I will edit it for free, if you publish this Kindle so I can buy it. I would love to have it and that library or be able to buy it in paper book form. Thank you for the time it takes to put it out this story. I know it's probably a lot of energy and time for you, just wanted to let you know that it's actually appreciated.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

@marsnvic thank you and hopefully the coming chapters tie some things up for you

 

Wyn also has his own story already in progress 🙂

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Granny Alauis  could be pretty useful around the house if she can step out from being awful

Yay for Wyn's story

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Absolutely disagree with upstairs, Granny is an abusive bitch who already broke three children so nope, not remotely useful alive. Dead though, she'll make passable plant food. Until then though, she should be kept as far away from the rugrats as possible. In my opinion, anyway. Mr Writer-Dude might have other ideas which, of course I will accept & respect. Because what boss says, goes...

Talon & Kalian are a power couple on every level - the way they speak to one another is so bloody adorable & totally #relationship goals, the way they can't keep their hands off one another is totally #relationship goals, the way they understand, accept and support one another - to the point that they step back to reflect on their own selves like actual honest to fuck adults to see how/where they might be wrong/lacking when things go sideways - they've even learned to appropriately apologise! - totally #relationship goals. And their parenting? #best dads ever!

And just fyi boss, I know what a bolero jacket is. Had to google it, obviously, but still. I know.

Fuck, the level of attention to detail in this story - like all your others - is staggering, and absolutely must be commended & appreciated. You are freaking awesome man, totally.

*fistbump*

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..