Jump to content
    dianjin
  • Author
  • 1,501 Words
  • 2,432 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Frozen Heart - 8. Chapter 8 - Elizabeth

Max was in a crystal ball, he could see the world outside through a think layer of glass. People would be so deformed that they would look like monsters, and he could not tell whether it was day or night. Worse of all, the ball spun on itself, making him sick. He was crying, and calling out for help. Suddenly a shape stayed in focus, it wouldn't move, it would always be in front of him. He extended his hand towards the shape, and the shape came to meet his hand. Suddenly the ball shattered to snow around him, a blinding light came from the shape. But it wasn't a shape anymore, it was more than that. Max saw Aaron emerge from the light. He was smiling, and joy sparkled in his eyes. Their hands were about to touch when a wall of ice, higher than the eye could see, fell between them, cutting them apart forever.

 

Max woke with a start, he was in the library. His breathing got back to a more normal rhythm, and he remembered what he was doing here. He had been wandering the house for the remainder of that Saturday, then he had felt a yearning to come and rest surrounded by Aaron's sweet smell. He had come back to this room, almost as if he was hypnotized. The couch had looked so inviting, he had curled himself in a ball on the same covers that they had used the previous day. Without being aware of it he had fallen asleep peacefully.

The sun was high, and it looked like it was about 10 in the morning. Max, still recovering from his nightmare, got up. He crossed the house to get a glass of water, as he entered the kitchen he remembered that his aunt was due to arrive at noon today. He thought for a second, then decided that a shower sounded nice. After he was all washed up, he put on some of his best clothes(a white-shirt, and some jeans that weren't too beaten up). He went back to the kitchen to start cooking. He hummed as he worked, cutting, boiling, and frying. He was about done when he heard the front door open and then close. His aunt, probably because of the smell and sounds, came in the kitchen to investigate. What she saw surprised her, at least that's what her face said. She still had her coat on, and she was pulling a large suitcase behind her.

"Hello boy, I didn't think you would have been cooking for us..."

"Hello Aunt Elizabeth, how was your trip?" he asked almost casually (Aaron would have been proud of him!).

"Fine," she answered cautiously."Are you ill boy? Something has changed since the last time I saw you..." she added frowning a little.

Max shrugged then went back to cooking. His aunt went to take off her coat and put her suitcase in her room. She came back a minute later, her frown still on her face. They sat down and started eating.

They went through the main course without a word, Elizabeth looking intently at her nephew.

"Something has happened in the weeks I was gone, something big I would say. You are not tour usual gloomy self..." she finally said when he got up to clear the table and get dessert.

"I made a friend," he answered shyly.

"Yes I would suppose that coming from you that is a pretty major event," she mused."I also saw that every curtain was pulled open, is this of your doing boy?"

"Yes Aunt Elizabeth, but if you don't like it I can put them back to the way they were."

"No, no, it's quite alright. Do what you want, you are here more than me after all... though that might change,"

"What do you mean?" Max's heart sunk, were they going to have to move?

"I am getting tired of all this travelling, I think I might stop for a while and stay here for a few weeks, maybe even more."

Max was relieved, at least he didn't have to leave Aaron! He thought about having his aunt around on a regular basis. While it wouldn't affect his daily routine, it would make it harder for him to have Aaron over...

They ate their dessert in silence, both busy thinking about various issues. Once they were done, Max got up, cleared the table and was about to start doing the dished when his aunt called:

"Don't worry about it Maximilian, I'll take care of that. Thank you for the meal, it was delicious. But before you go, I would like to know if you intend to continue using the library as you room, I am getting a few complaints from Martha. She is trying to do her job but you insist on having all those covers there."

Max blushed, it was true that Martha had given up on trying to move his stuff back to his room, since he almost always slept in the middle of all his books.

"I understand that you like that room a lot, and I know that it is probably one of the only rooms in this old house that is used everyday. If you want we can move a bed there and make it your room."

"Really?" Max asked excitedly.

"Yes, except for you no one ever goes there, so why not just make it yours..."

"That would be really awesome Aunt Elizabeth!"

"Then it will be done in the course of this week."

Max in a moment of pure joy went to hug his aunt. It probably surprised him just as much as it did his aunt, but she didn't say anything. She just looked at her nephew curiously as he rushed out of the kitchen.

 

Monday came fast, Max had slept peacefully this time, no bad dreams came to haunt him. He could barely contain his excitement in front of his aunt at breakfast. He jumped in his car, and almost broke speed limits to get to school as fast as humanly possible. Aaron had promised him a surprise the night before via text. Max was wondering what kind of surprise it would be. He parked next to Aaron's car, and got out. His door was still open when someone grabbed him by the arm and spun him around. Before he could protest sweet lips he recognized instantly were pressed against his lovingly. He melted in Aaron's arms, as always he felt safe in those arms.

"Did you like your surprise?" Aaron asked sheepishly as they walked to class together.

"That kind is my favorite!" Max smiled."But what about you, how should I reward you for such a pleasant surprise?"

"Your smile already has," the answer came straight from Aaron's heart.

They took their seats next to each other, as usual. Max couldn't help but smile. It was as if years of being locked away behind ice had made his happiness grow so big that he couldn't contain it anymore. He even wondered how it had stayed like that for so long, how it hadn't broken the ice from the inside.

"Hello Aaron, and hello Maximilian," a girl said as she entered the room.

"Hey Alice," answered Aaron happily.

"Hi," was Max's more modest answer, he still was uncomfortable around others.

Alice was startled for a second, she hadn't really expected an answer from Ghost. Max misinterpreted he silence, feeling as if he had done something wrong.

"How are you?" she finally added.

"I'm uh fine, and uh you?" Max managed hesitantly. He was looking down, hiding behind his hair again. Aaron brushed it to the side so Alice could see his beautiful blue eyes. Max gave Aaron a silent thank you with said eyes, before finally managing to look up at Alice.

"I'm good, how was your weekend?"

"The best!" Max told her as he looked at Aaron, grinning from ear to ear.

 

Alice stayed with them throughout the day, she even presented a few of her friends to Max. Most were curious to hear Ghost talk, as most had never heard his voice before. Before the end of the day, most of the school knew that Ghost was not so ghostly anymore. He was the center of the attention, though he didn't really see it. Max was too busy learning all of the new social conventions used by people his age. sometimes though it was a little too much for him at once, in those moments Aaron would come to his rescue and silently ask everyone to back away and give the poor boy some air. Sadly though, Max didn't get to kiss Aaron until they both were at their cars after the last bell.

"Did you enjoy today?"

"I did, it was a lot though."

"I saw that, you want to take things a little slower?"

"No, as long as you are here I will be fine," Max said, smiling.

Copyright © 2015 dianjin; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Max has come so far so quickly. It's good to see him out of that joyless existence. I suspect some bumps ahead. Don't bang our boy about too badly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I realized after I read chapter nine that I totally forgot to read chapter eight! :P

 

After reading this chapter, I find it odd that Elizabeth calls Max 'boy', but she seems so warm and friendly to Aaron (in the next chapter). Why can't she be warm and friendly to her own nephew? Maybe Max wouldn't be Ghost, or even the ice prince, if she had treated him with love right from the beginning.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This sounds so beautiful it can't be for long. I have a constant feeling of fear that something horrible happens to get Max back to his old, silent self. :/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..