Jump to content
    drsawzall
  • Author
  • 129 Words
  • 1,909 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This tale owes a debt of thanks to Shirly Jackson’s 1948 short story called The Lottery.  It is well worth the time to check out.

La Tombola - Prologue. Prologue

It could no longer be ignored, the naysayers had no further arguments, rationalizations, or excuses. Unfettered, unchecked population growth combined with stunning advances in medical science, placed an unsupportable strain on a fragile planet’s resources. Inevitably, competition for those resources led to small scale fracases that grew exponentially into wider spheres of continental conflicts.

Nationalistic societies whose cultures demanded the greatest, the latest, technological doodad’s, in the ultimate quest of self-absorption, simply refused to understand the havoc they were wreaking on the dying ecology of an overwhelmed planet.

To a small cadre of scientists, the writing was on the wall. The evidence when presented left little room for doubt. Under the strictest of secrecy, shielded from the major corporate interests and press, Operation Plimoth Plantation was born.

Copyright © 2022 drsawzall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 11
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Thanks for reading, your comments and thoughts are appreciated. Please take a moment to let me know your impressions.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Loving sci-fi adventures from early childhood this is just my type of story.  Unfortunately, the prologue is spot on for what's happening today.  I am really looking forward to reading this story.:2thumbs:

  • Like 5
Link to comment
4 hours ago, re2 said:

And my father is a direct descendant of Mary Chilton. 

The numbers of the Mayflower descendants must be enormous!~I think that is what sparked my interest in history!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 2/13/2022 at 12:37 PM, drsawzall said:

We are heading head-on into planetary oblivion...all in the name of making a buck while destroying the environment that supports us. We can argue climate change and naturally occurring climate change, the point is we are exacerbating the natural order of things!

One of the worst decisions our Supreme Court ever made was to rule that Corporations were persons. While I don't remember the case name, I do remember that it was in the early 1900's.

On 2/17/2022 at 8:49 PM, raven1 said:

Loving sci-fi adventures from early childhood this is just my type of story.  Unfortunately, the prologue is spot on for what's happening today.  I am really looking forward to reading this story.:2thumbs:

I agree.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

This whole the promise of a great story. Already I am loving it. As in the story I read this show the power of your use of English which I dearly love. And I can't wait to see what happens, I have always loved Sci-Fi so I will wait no longer on I read!:thankyou:

  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
On 12/20/2022 at 10:44 PM, Al Norris said:

One of the worst decisions our Supreme Court ever made was to rule that Corporations were persons. While I don't remember the case name, I do remember that it was in the early 1900's.

I agree.

It was a head note in 1886's Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad. Penumbras almost always cause problems. 

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

It was a head note in 1886's Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad. Penumbras almost always cause problems. 

You just had to use a word I had to look up...thanks!! From Wikipedia...Including @Al Norris

Although the meaning of the term has varied over time, scholars now generally agree that the term refers to a group of rights that are not explicitly stated in the constitution, but can be inferred from other enumerated rights. The definition of the term was originally derived from its primary scientific meaning, which is "a space of partial illumination (as in an eclipse) between the perfect shadow on all sides and the full light". By analogy, rights that exist in the constitution's penumbra can be found in the "shadows" of other portions of the constitution. Additionally, the process of identifying rights in constitutional penumbras is known as penumbral reasoning. Brannon P. Denning and Glenn H. Reynolds have described this interpretive framework as the process of "drawing logical inferences by looking at relevant parts of the Constitution as a whole and their relationship to one another." Glenn H. Reynolds has also characterized penumbral reasoning as a process of "reasoning-by-interpolation" where judges identify the full scope and extent of constitutional rights.

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

The stage is set for what I hope will be a great tale.

I think you may enjoy this and thanks for reading an commenting!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..