Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 2,598 Words
  • 7,353 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Home To Roost - 4. In a Quandary

Unlike what some people may think, Dean didn't spend his time at the camp idle. He learned about Lycan culture, politics, rules and laws, and more about what it was to be Pandion Lunais. With Kao right there, he had a tutor who could tell him far more than anyone else, which Dean thought was Travis's true motive behind having him stay at Homestead. Dean needed all the help he could get.

Every hour was filled with something new for Dean. Days were like a board meeting, sitting through hours of lectures and mind-numbing facts that he never wanted to know but had to. Seeing how much his physical attributes had grown was fun, but not nearly as much as Dean hoped. He was nowhere near as strong as Colton who was the weakest one living in the camp, and he could never hope to match Dylan or Zeke, the two with the most brute strength.

"Are birds that much weaker?" Dean asked Kao.

"Yeah. But we have things they don't. We can fly, see farther, discern the slightest variations in sounds like heartbeats. We are different, not inferior. I will say we are probably faster than all of them, except maybe Colton. He is scary fast."

Dean seemed to remember something being said about that earlier. "So I'm now faster. How much though?"

"That depends on how fast you were when human, and how strong. The stronger and faster as a human, the faster the Pandion. Also your endurance makes even an Alpha Wolf feel a bit jealous." Kao shot a small grin Jon's way. Jon chuckled. "So, don't worry about brute force. Just scratch their eyes out."

"Great, now I'm reduced to chick fighting," said Dean with a grin.

The night was filled with Kao and Dean working on flight and other things only Kao could teach him. They only had so long until the moon was down and only so much time until Kai found Dean to question him about the infection. Kao was pointing things out on his own body, one that Dean found fascinating. He couldn't take his eyes off Kao's lunar form.

Dean's feathers looked sturdier while Kao's seemed more delicate. Kao had a slight smattering of darker feathers over his chest like a necklace. When asked about them, Kao's dark nares turned a bit darker; he was blushing. "The markings are more commonly found on females, but a few males have some." Kao went on about the wing parts, how to change things just slightly to go from active flight to gliding on drafts.

There were a few successes and some failures. The successes were met with praise from Kao. The failures were met with patient instruction until the lesson became a success. The biggest lesson was flying. Dean was under no false illusion that he would master it first time. Kao didn't even try to get him off the ground that night. They worked on controlling the wings as they were an odd extension of his arms. It felt very foreign, but when his wings would extend, his hands were useless. "Why is that?"

"For now, the subtle movements of your wings are controlled by the same areas of your brain as your hands and fingers," Kao said. "As you get more familiar with the new parts, your brain will reorganize and you'll be able to use your hand while flying."

"So it's like sticking your hand out of the car window when you're driving."

Kao gestured it was close. "Good enough for now, and that will get you turning in air. A good start. I can tell you want to try, but I caution against it. I don't want to clip your wings before you've fledged, but you're not ready."

"Huh? I got the not ready part, but what was the rest?" Dean asked

"Oh, sorry. It's a Pandion saying. It means I don't want to stifle your growth or discourage you."

"Got it. Don't clip your wings before you're fledged. Makes sense after it was explained." Dean grinned even as Kao chuckled. "So, basic wing movements done with...what the hell do I do with my tail?"

"Um...well... don't know. I've never had to explain it. It's instinct for me." Kao looked very embarrassed to admit that.

"Well, I'll let it do what it wants and not try to control it too much. Some instinct should show itself, right?"

Kao nodded. "Should. You know what, Dean? You're actually one of the coolest people I have met. You seem so calm, so ready to tackle a challenge head on but not without thought. You know what I mean?"

"Yeah. I may seem flighty at times, but that is because some details will sort themselves out. I see the goal, the big picture, and the main details. The rest tend to never be important enough to stress over. I know it sounds totally cheesy, but it's like surfing. You're out there, against one of the most primal forces of nature, with only a little board as your ally. The wave comes in, you're up in a moment, letting your body move as it should while keeping your mind focused on the goal. If you're not focused on that goal, if you sweat the small shit, then you wipe out."

"What's it like, surfing?" Kao asked, perching on a log surrounding the fire pit's dying embers.

"A lot like flying, I imagine. You against everything, yet it's so free. Sliding along on your board, seeing a perfect pipeline ahead of you, feeling the water toying with you, taunting you, but not harshly. It's a rough-housing friend. You'll get hurt, but it's so fun." Dean crossed his arms, his wing feathers tufting out a bit. "Truth be told, it's sometimes the only thing that gets me past a problem. It's just me, my mind, and the waves. No one telling you what to do," Dean said.

"Or where to go," Kao added.

"How to act."

"Who you can't talk to."

"No pressure, just..."

"...Freedom." Kao and Dean finished together. Their eyes met as they smiled. "I can see why you say it's like flying. I'd be too damn scared."

Dean laughed. "Yeah, I was too. I'm guessing you know the winds like an old friend." The light nod from Kao made Dean smile. "You may not have spoken for a long time, you may have argued, but the wind will always be there."

Kao felt his heart flutter. "Well said. You have a bit of mediator in you, too."

"Me? I'm as gentle as a jack hammer. I fire people for a living." Dean laughed at Kao's awed face. "Seriously. I mean I do other things, but I head the review committee. Same as Jon before he tried to off this Angus guy and moved out here."

"Don't you see? That's the same thing. You weigh the option, assess the details, and decide the best course of action. Mediators do the same thing. We advise the Flock Master, settle disputes, and act as liaisons for diplomatic talks. Same process, different results."

Put that way, Dean conceded the point. Then he yawned. "I am beat. This late night stuff is for you young kids." Dean grinned. "One more night left in the full moon, right?" He got a nod for an answer. "Good. Then I can go home and relax for a bit before coming back. My frequent flyer miles won't mean much during the moon."

Kao just grinned and shook his feathery head. "You're impossible. If you're tired, go to bed." Kao's eyes got huge. "I just realized...we're sharing a cabin with only one bed."

Dean shrugged. "No biggie. I've slept in the same bed as Jon often, even after he and Pat got together. No worries, Kao."

"Maybe not for you. It...would be the first time I would have slept in the same bed with someone who was not my brother or sister."

"Then you take the bed. I can crash on the floor. Done that a lot, too." Dean held up his hand when Kao was going to protest. "It's that, or we ask Jon if another cabin is free." Dean knew there were no other cabins open.

"I...see the compromise. Very well, but you're taking the big comforter for padding."

"Fine." The duo went into the cabin and got a pallet made up on the floor for Dean. He lay down and pulled the sheet over himself. It felt very odd with his feathers, but it was pleasant. "You tired?"

"Nope. I'm going flying while there is still some moonlight left." Kao tucked Dean in with a silly grin. "There. Snug as a bug in a rug."

Dean laughed. "My mom used to say that to me. Night, dude."

Kao went to the door and shut off the light. "Good night, Dean," he said softly and shut the door behind him as he left.

 

* * *

 

Dean stayed until the next afternoon. He needed to be back for work the following day and figured he could still get some sleep at home. Kao stayed back at Homestead with the guys while Jon and the pilots flew him back in the chopper.

"Watch out for Kai's right hand wolf," Kao said to Dean. "He's a vicious son of a bitch and would probably try to kill you so they can be rid of me."

"They really don't like you, do they?" Dean asked. The two of them waited for the chopper to be fueled and readied to fly.

"I'm gay, and I'm small. I have the markings of a female, and the thought of bottoming makes my dick harder than my brother's head." That got a grin. "So I am all-around useless except as political fodder. I'm the ideal hostage negotiator because I could be killed without them losing anything to the family."

Dean had no idea it was really that bad. "Couldn't you leave that place?"

Kao shook his head. "To do so would bring dishonor on my family. Then I would be killed." Kao looked at his feet and sighed. "It's not like Homestead would take me in. I would have nowhere to go, no one to go to. No one who would protect me from them."

"You have me," Dean said. Why, he did not know, but he knew he meant it. "No matter what, no matter what obstacle I face, I will not let them hurt you." His voice was calm but edged.

Kao looked up with a smile. Without a word, he put his head on Dean's shoulder. "You really are the coolest guy I know."

Dean put his arm around Kao.

"Hey, dude, the chopper's ready," said Jon as he came walking over with Dylan and Zeke. "Quint and Colton are back at the truck to take you to the camp, Kao. Under no circumstances are you to go with your brother without legal proof of charges. Travis will be there, and my Pop will be coming into town tomorrow."

"Yes, Alpha Jon. Thank you for doing so much for me." Kao got up and gave Dean a bit of a gentle nudge. "Keep this one safe tonight. That Lupus may be prowling around his house again."

Jon grinned. "That's why I'm going down there. I already informed Alpha Kirkland of the Cali Sands Pack that I would be in town for the night. You'll want to say hi to her when we get home, Dean."

"Female Alpha? Probably has balls of steel." Dean stood and pulled Kao into a hug. He held him, taking in his scent, and let go with a grin. "No taking a dump on Zeke." That of course made the bear laugh. Dean looked right into Dylan's eyes. "You keep him safe or you will answer to me."

Dylan nodded. "With my life, Uncle Dean." The little dude had never seen such force from Dean, not even at his most angry. Kao's safety meant the world to him.

"Good. Hang loose, little dude. Zeke, nice to see ya again." With handshakes all around, Dean and Jon boarded the chopper and were off.

They landed briefly atop a tall building where Dean was introduced to Alpha Kirkland. She was a tiny thing, but Dean knew only another alpha could hope to take her on. She radiated power like Jon and Travis. It was palpable.

"Dean, your home is in my territory, so I expect you to keep yourself out of trouble. Alpha Davenport says you have a wolf problem, but I won't spare more than a passing care for you. Is that clear?"

"Yes, ma'am," he replied, seeing he would get no help from the local pack.

"That being said," she continued, "if you keep out of trouble, and that wolf comes to your door, get your feathers out of there and find one of my Hunters. He works for another pack, and I don't like others working in my territory." She grinned, a feral smile that made Dean feel a chill. "You're just lucky that Jon and I are on such good terms."

Jon laughed. "Even though I never called you back?"

"Yeah, well, when you and your mate came to visit, you more than made up for that." She laughed at the look on Dean's face. "Be safe, Dean. Any friend of Jon is going to have my eye." With that, they took the chopper back to Dean's house, getting dropped off at the beach nearby.

"So...banged her?"

Jon laughed. "Totally. Pat alone wore her out. Us together, and she was happy for quite some time." Jon got a high five as they walked to the back door. Jon sniffed. "He's been here and recently."

"How recent?"

"Maybe twenty minutes ago. No worries, he is no concern tonight. Probably will call that shit eating fuckwad he works for once he sees you're here." They went inside.

"Jon?" Dean asked as he stripped down to his shorts.

"Sup?" Jon replied as he did the same. Neither cared if the other was naked, and with the moon rising in less than an hour, they needed to be ready.

"What do I tell Victoria?" He sat on the couch with a bit of a thud.

"I can't tell you, Dean. I couldn't even tell you about this." Jon had a point. "Are you worried she'll leave you?"

Dean went to shake his head but ended up nodding instead. "I love her, Jon. It scares me to think about life without her. There is only one thing that bothers me. She smells wrong."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I love her, but my nose says she smells wrong. Does that make sense?"

Jon was silent for a moment. "Some birds mate for life. Your nose could be saying she's not your mate. Not to say that she wouldn't smell like that if you turned her, if she were willing, but right now...I don't know. I don't know enough about your kind. I mean, Pat smells the best to me. Probably because he was the one that infected me."

"So you're implying Kao is my true mate?" Dean asked jokingly.

"Could be. Or I may be seeing it all wrong. All I'm saying, bro, is think very hard before you tell Victoria about this. Now, unless you want to see me shift, I'll be in the kitchen. Want anything when I come back?"

Dean shook his head. He had a lot of thinking to do.

Thanks to all of you for your patience and to Timothy for his great editing.
Copyright © 2018 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 68
  • Love 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
Coming down is the hardest thing

 

This chapter had me humming Tom Petty... LOL Dean has wings but it seems it's more difficult to fly than surf. Perhaps more a question of letting go in your mind and believe it's possible. Douglas Adams crossed my mind too. Flying only being a matter of learning to miss the ground...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/06/2016 05:26 AM, Puppilull said:

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings

Coming down is the hardest thing

 

This chapter had me humming Tom Petty... LOL Dean has wings but it seems it's more difficult to fly than surf. Perhaps more a question of letting go in your mind and believe it's possible. Douglas Adams crossed my mind too. Flying only being a matter of learning to miss the ground...

There is an art, or rather a knack, to flying...

 

Flying, like surfing, takes more than one night.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I am enjoying how the relationship between Dean and Kao is going and how both like each other more and more. Dean still has lots to learn and experience.
I am looking forward to the fight between Dean and the guardian wolf who wants to killhim.
Victoria's off putting smell is intriguing. Is there something wrong with her? Is it just because she is not his true mate? Is she seeing another guy on the side. She is reluctant to commit to Dean for some treason not yet explained.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/06/2016 08:17 AM, scrubber6620 said:

I am enjoying how the relationship between Dean and Kao is going and how both like each other more and more. Dean still has lots to learn and experience.

I am looking forward to the fight between Dean and the guardian wolf who wants to killhim.

Victoria's off putting smell is intriguing. Is there something wrong with her? Is it just because she is not his true mate? Is she seeing another guy on the side. She is reluctant to commit to Dean for some treason not yet explained.

There will be more of Victoria as the book goes on.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I know Dean's got work obligations and all, but going back to his home right now just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Victoria's mysterious foul scent definitely spells trouble for Dean, whether from her directly or from those who she associates with. The local pack Alpha might not really have Dean's back but at least she gives some modicum of taking the situation seriously since the wolf monitoring Dean is violating her lands. I'm glad Jon is staying with Dean for the night.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This chapter had me wanting to go hit the beach and throw on some sun block. Dean is a smart guy and he knows when to go with his instincts and Kao has him all turned around because he just added another layer to his instincts. I like Kao, he seems evenly tempered and challenges Dean to look at himself in different characteristics than Dean would describe himself as, such as being a good negotiator, I don't think that Victoria is all that she appears to be and Dean is probably going to find layers that are unexpected and possibly unsettling. I look forward to the way this progresses. Thank you for a good chapter and good reads.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/06/2016 10:24 AM, Lux Apollo said:

I know Dean's got work obligations and all, but going back to his home right now just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Victoria's mysterious foul scent definitely spells trouble for Dean, whether from her directly or from those who she associates with. The local pack Alpha might not really have Dean's back but at least she gives some modicum of taking the situation seriously since the wolf monitoring Dean is violating her lands. I'm glad Jon is staying with Dean for the night.

Jon would not abandon Dean, and he is on good terms with Alpha Kirkland

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/06/2016 12:25 PM, TasteofHome said:

This chapter had me wanting to go hit the beach and throw on some sun block. Dean is a smart guy and he knows when to go with his instincts and Kao has him all turned around because he just added another layer to his instincts. I like Kao, he seems evenly tempered and challenges Dean to look at himself in different characteristics than Dean would describe himself as, such as being a good negotiator, I don't think that Victoria is all that she appears to be and Dean is probably going to find layers that are unexpected and possibly unsettling. I look forward to the way this progresses. Thank you for a good chapter and good reads.

I love all the attention Victoria is getting

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Damn, didn't know this next Homestead story was out until I caught sight of it totally by chance.
Good to read 4 chapters in one go now need the next asap.
Thanks again for the start of another GREAT read.
Jeff.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/29/2017 01:48 AM, Jeff1 said:

Damn, didn't know this next Homestead story was out until I caught sight of it totally by chance.

Good to read 4 chapters in one go now need the next asap.

Thanks again for the start of another GREAT read.

Jeff.

I'm glad chance stepped in.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well Dean's back home and under the protection of Alpha Kirkland.  I wonder when Kai will show up.  Victoria must be something other than a human.  Her position on marrying Dean seems a bit more like an avoidance tactic.  Together with the fact she smell sour to Dean make me suspicious of her.  Great chapter.  I am loving this story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..