Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 5,548 Words
  • 11,963 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Home To Roost - 6. Trial Part 1

The first part of the trial.
Kao just sat there for a moment, stunned beyond anything that had ever happened. For one thing, he was kissing a guy, which was a first. Another thing, it was Dean, the man who had filled his waking hours and dreams with longing. Lastly, it was HIS idea. Kao slipped his trembling hand to Dean's cheek. It was so gentle, so wonderful, and so beyond what the young man had ever experienced. He never realized it would be so...loving.
Dean pulled back and looked into his eyes. He saw all of Kao's emotions laid bare. "This is the biggest change for me. I don't know what it is between us, and I don't care. While I still have feelings for her, I cannot imagine living without you. What I feel when I'm with you, what I experience...your smell, your taste, your touch. Kao, I don't know for certain if this is something, but whatever it is, I don't want to lose it."
"Dean," Kao started and then cleared his throat of the sudden thickness. "I know this is new to you, and I know I cannot win your heart from Victoria, but as long as I live I will never find anyone other than you. Pandions mate for life." He knew that Dean may bolt at this line of conversation.
"So this," Dean said as he gestured between the two of them, "this is a mating?" The thought scared him and thrilled him to no end.
"It feels that way. Answer these questions on your own time, but do you think of me when you wake? When you're at work, do I cross your mind? Does my scent calm you and make you feel complete? Am I the last thought as you drift off to sleep? Do I fill your dreams?" Kao was trying to pour all of his feeling into these questions, because his answer for all of these was yes.
Dean thought, but it didn't take long for him to know the answers. "No, I think of coffee and then you." That got a smile. "You're the biggest distraction I have at work, even more than your brother's pet bitch. Your scent is home for me. It is freedom. It is safety. You are one of two thoughts as I sleep, the other being Victoria and how I should probably tell her about me getting feathery." Dean swallowed the lump in his throat. "And I have not had a night where I have not dreamed of you beside me while I shot down a perfect pipeline, or more recently us flying."
"Then yeah. Sounds to me like you're the perfect mate for me."
"And you for me, which freaks me the fuck out. But, as you said, you cannot win my heart from Victoria...yet part of my heart is yours. This is so confusing." Dean flopped over onto his back and sighed. "I love her, and I can't live without you."
Kao nodded and lay next to him. "The last step for either pairing would be carnal. You would have to mate...have sex with...one of us. With me, it need be only that, and our mating would be complete. With Victoria, you would have to infect her while having sex." He was trying his best to lay out all of the facts so Dean would make an informed decision. He hoped against hope that Dean would choose him, but he may not live through this trial since he was sure Kai had enough to go on to at least get the hearing started.
"And I have a feeling you would not consent to the full mating until after the trial."
Kao nodded. "When one half of a mating dies, the other more often than not dies soon after. I have heard of one case where one half lived, but his was a cold and lifeless existence. I would not wish that on you."
Dean rolled to his side and pulled Kao against him. Breathing in his scent, Dean's nerves calmed a bit. "Then I will be fighting with everything I have to keep you alive." He could smell Kao's mood brighten. "Should I choose you...what would happen?"
"I would go where you were. You are, bare minimum, allied with Homestead. If you petitioned, I know Jon would accept you as pack in a heartbeat, probably with a place of high standing."
"Would he take you? I have to ask, because you know more about the pack/flock law than I ever will."
Kao snuggled deeper. "Jon has already said he would accept me into his pack regardless of our mating. He is in need of a beta as Travis should soon be called to the Council. He has expressed an interest in training me for that position." Kao's scent said he was filed with awe and pride that someone thought so highly of him.
Dean smiled and hugged him tighter. "I'm glad. So either way, as long as this trial goes favorably, you will have a place." He got a nod. "Good, and as long as we don't have sex at all, the mating would not be complete."
"And you could then mate Victoria." Kao's tone was a bit hollow. Then he yawned. "I should let you get some sleep," he said as he went to lay out a pad on the ground, but Dean just pulled him back.
"Who said you're going anywhere?" His voice was a little husky, and Kao knew Dean wanted tonight with him. A night to hold him, a night to be with the one he was meant for.
Kao turned his head to get a brief kiss, and the duo breathed deeply of each other, basking in the scent of their true mate and faded off to sleep.
* * * 
The morning found them all awake and dressed for the coming event. Pat had received a call in the wee hours informing the alpha-mate that Kao was to be tried today and to have Alpha Davenport, Prime Enforcer Dylan Davenport, Patrick himself, and Dean ready to attend the trial as witnesses if need be since all of them were there when Kao was tracked and infected Dean. Travis would be coming as Counsel and Alan would be handling things back in Homestead while the other alphas were away.
Dean adjusted Kao's tie just to touch him. Holding the young man last night had been the best sleep he had ever had in his entire life. There was no doubt in his mind that Kao was his mate, there was no doubt in his heart the young man was meant for him, but could he voice that? Could he go through with the mating and lose Victoria? God it would be hard. He loved both.
"Dean, whatever happens today, know that I shall never forget the care you have shown me." Kao took his hand to stop him from fidgeting with the tie. "The little time you have been with me, I have finally seen what others talk about. You care about me more than even my own family, and through you, Alpha Davenport and many others have shown me what a pack should feel like." He took a steadying breath. "Should this trial not go well, know that I love you."
Dean was utterly speechless. He knew life in the flock was not easy for him, but was it that bad? No one had shown Kao what caring was about, and if this was the most love he had seen and felt, Dean knew he would be in for a surprise later on. All Dean could think of to do was pull him close and kiss him. Words could not express what his heart wanted to say.
A knock on the door broke them apart, and Zeke walked in with his eyes averted just in case. "Sorry to barge in," he said and then looked at them when he saw they were dressed, "but Jon says you leave in ten."
"Thanks, Zeke," said Dean with a sickly smile. "Make sure Alan has no problems with the Pack while we're gone."
"Hey, no problems there. Me 'n Colt are gonna be on patrol since Quint is also going with you."
Dean felt a bit of puzzlement. Why would Quintin be coming?
"One thing that few people know about my not-so-chatty husband is that he recently passed the Bar Exam and will be assisting Travis with the trial as his paralegal. At least officially. Unofficially he is there as Dylan's backup should it come to combat. They got this mojo synergy thing going on, and no one has seen a better pair of fighters in a hundred years. At least Travis and Alan say so."
Dean looked at Kao who looked impressed. He looked back with a grin. "So we have two enforcers, two alphas, one frazzled yet handsome bird boy and his totally awesome mate going to this?" Dean forced it out, but Zeke would already know they were mated except for the sexual part. It felt good to say it though.
"Yup. The only way this could go more in your favor is if Alan, Colton, and I went along."
"I understand Alan, but not you and Colt." The fact that Zeke didn't even bat an eyelash at the mate part said everyone believed they were mated or should be.
"It's simple, Dean. Alan is the equivalent of an alpha. I am mated to Quintin and the son of two VERY protective polar parents who will come a-running should I holler. Colt and I have a bond thing ourselves, so we are almost as good a team as Dyl and Quint, and Colt is pretty much Dylan's little brother. So...family, man. That's why it would go better for you. We got your back, Dean." He grinned down at Kao. "Welcome to the family, Feathers."
Kao chuckled while he wiped his eyes. "I don't know about that nickname, but the rest sounds perfect." He looked over at Dean with a watery gaze full of love.
"We better go. This is a legal matter," said Dean after cleaning his throat. He had to say something or he would never be able to tear his eyes away from Kao.
The flight to Oregon was quiet. No one felt like saying too much, although Travis and Quint were going over questions they planned to ask Dean. They were pretty straight forward, and they were not surprised that Dean was savvy enough to bend the truth in their favor without it being a lie even by scent. Kao, on the other hand, could not lie. It went against everything he had ever been taught, and only the best liars could not get caught by scent or some other tell. His honesty was not a bad trait, and Dean wanted him to know that.
"Dude, I wish I could be as honest as you, but I grew up in a place where honesty never got you pardoned, it got you whooped just as hard as if you had lied. A well placed half truth could get you out of a jam. Not the best thing, but when you're facing a paddling, it could soften the blow."
"Are you saying I should...shade the truth?" Kao asked.
"No. Tell the truth as you know it. Leave the shifty stuff to me." His cavalier attitude made Kao grin and snuggle deeper into his side. "You...you don't think less of me for knowing how to bend the truth?"
"No. Sometimes I wish I could do it. Might have saved me some pain in my life."
When they landed, they were greeted by no less than ten Lycans, one of which was Kai and another his lap dog. One, though, stood out to Dean. His scent, the feel of him, the utter devotion and deference the rest showed him said that this man was the leader of Kao's flock. Not only was he the Wind Master, their Alpha, he was Kao's father. His eyes held no sign of love or compassion. Instead his eyes held an icy lifelessness that showed Dean all he needed to know about the man. There would be no mercy plea heartfelt enough to change his verdict.
"A greeting to you, Alpha Davenport, and to your mate," the Wind Master said, sounding very much like every cheesy Kung Fu movie ever, "welcome to my skies."
"Your winds are calm and soothing, Wind Master, and I feel grateful for their welcome."
Kai's eyes narrowed slightly, Dean noticed. Had he been hoping that the Alpha would insult the Wind Master by not knowing or ignoring custom? If so, he did not know Jon at all.
"Our meeting this way is not a joyous one, Alpha Davenport."
"I agree. I know the laws, having had counsel from my Acting-Beta. Yet I hope you will see the laws were not broken in this case."
If Jon's words moved the Wind Master, he gave no outward sign. "My child is responsible for the infection of a human. Yet the law in question is not for me to decide if it has been broken. Three member of the Lycan Council are here to handle this very delicate matter."
Dean saw Travis nod slightly. Had he been expecting this? It was the most logical choice as the Wind Master might rule differently since the accused is his son.
"That puts me at ease. I could not honestly condemn my son were the roles reversed." Jon gestured to Dyl who bowed slightly. The Wind Master looked Dylan up and down.
"Your heart does you credit, Alpha Davenport. The loss of your son, although one not born of your seed, would be a painful one. I understand that your Beta will be acting as council for this?" Jon nodded. "Then, with your permission, Counselor, I would have a few words with my son. I will speak of nothing pertaining to this case."
Travis must have smelled his honesty for he nodded. "Perhaps he could travel with you to the site of the hearing. I am sure that no harm will come to him, physical or otherwise." These words he said to Kai and the lap dog.
"No harm will befall him." With bows, they left. Kao took Dean's hand briefly, making Kai sneer, and then followed behind his father. Kai handed Jon a map with directions and then got into his own vehicle.
"Was that wise?" Dean asked Travis.
"No. It's a power play on his part, but one I am willing to concede. Kao will be physically healthy when we see him next. Mentally and emotionally...well, I am sure you can imagine speeches of dishonor."
"Ah. Now, if it comes to all out fighting, do I have permission to kill Kai?" Jon only laughed at Dean's words, knowing the honesty of them. Dean really, really, wanted Kai dead, and a dead dog would not make him unhappy either. Truth be told, if Dean hadn't called dibs, Jon would have taken down Kai for what he said about his pack.
The site was in an office in downtown Medford, Oregon. Dean had been to Ashland many times for the plays and festivities, but he had rarely traveled the few miles north to Medford for any reason other than Wal-Mart and no sales tax. The room was somber, and the first thing Dean did upon entering was to look for Kao. He seemed fine, although his eyes were downcast and red. They had given him some talking to alright.
Travis and Quintin took their places opposite the prosecution team...which was Kai and another Pandion. Probably another brother since he had the same look of distaste when looking at Kao. Dean sat behind Kao and placed his hand on the man's shoulder. Just touching made both relax more than a little. "You okay?"
"Physically. Father is not happy with me."
"Is he ever happy?" Dean ventured to joke. Kai's eyes cautioned him to not joke, but the shake of his head said that little ever pleased the Wind Master.
The idle conversation in the room stilled as three men entered the room. Two were older men with silvery hair that belied their still powerful bodies, and the other was not much older looking than Dean. "The hearing will come to order. Would the Defendant please rise." Kao stood. "State your name and rank for the court."
"Kao Saechao. Mediator in training. Third born son of the Wind Master of Rogue Valley Flock." His voice was even and somewhat light as if he were only telling you it was Tuesday.
"Council for the Defense?"
"Travis Andrews with Quintin Marshal as co-council." This news caused a bit of a stir among those presiding. It was well known Travis had influences in many packs, flocks, prides, and among the more solitary Lycans. It was also known he would soon take a seat on the Council. He would have a solid case.
"Please state your case, Mr. Andrews."
"Kao did not willingly infect Dean. In fact, he had told Dean that he did not need help. The fact that Dean was infected was by his own desire to help Kao and not taking proper precaution against ANY form of infection. This is, at most, an accident and should not even have been brought to court."
"And your case, Mr. Saechao?" the head of the judicial committee asked Kai.
"The case is simple. The accused did give consent to be helped and did so knowing that the infected human had received cuts on his hands when sliding down the hill to help. He made no excuse to forego assistance and did willfully infect the human." Kai sat with a serious look on his face and a smug scent hung around him.
Ouch, Dean thought. Both sides were right and wrong. It would come down to testimony and how they could sway the committee. This would not be easy to do.
"Mr. Andrews, please call your first witness."
"Kao Saechao." Kao stood and went to the seat they had set aside for the witnesses. This was not a real court room, but it would do. "In your own words, please tell us the events as you remember them that led up to and including the infection."
Kao nodded. "School has been very hard this term, and I have been under a lot of stress. School was on break for a week, so I took it upon myself to leave school and go on holiday without informing the person left to stand guard over me."
"Pardon the interruption, but why would you need a guard?" Travis asked.
"I am the son of a Wind Master. Another Lycan may find this out and find ways to strike at the family using me. Kidnapping, murder, blackmail...someone may use anything to dishonor my father. Also...also because I have been told that fraternizing was prohibited." Kao hated saying it that way.
"Can you be a bit more specific?"
Kao nodded. "I was told that to date would bring dishonor on my father and the family. Going out with certain classmates would be monitored by my guard. I accepted this. As I was planning to be on my own for the small trip, I did not see the need to inform my guard where I was going."
"So you were struggling with school and feeling cooped up, is that correct?" Kao nodded to Travis' questions. "You mentioned blackmail." Kao winced. "I know you may not want certain things brought to light, but no one outside of this room will speak of what you say on penalty of death." Travis was adamant about that. Hell, Dean thought, Travis might even do the killing himself.
"I understand. It is not widely known that my...preference is for men. To date could be used as a weapon against my father from other traditionalist flocks who might want to discredit him and his siring of me." Kao could not look at his father.
Dean did though. It was the first sign of emotion he had seen; a brief flicker of confusion and pride crossed his face and then was gone.
"I see. Who gave you the guard and the mandate to not fraternize?"
"My brother Kai. He told me when I was ten." Kao did not look at his brother, either. Instead he looked only at Mr. Andrews.
"Thank you. Please continue your account."
Kao told of how he had been followed. How he was gabbed and the guard tried to use force to bring him back. He told of his escape and how he simply ran. He told of his fall down the ravine and how the wolf vanished when Dean came on the scene.
"Kao, did you give a definite confirmation that Dean could help you?"
"No, I left it vague. To say he could not help, and to lie about why, would have gone against everything my Father taught me. Yet I did need help. I was injured, tired, and hunted by the person who was supposed to protect me."
Travis nodded. "Did you know Dean was injured, even in the slightest, when he came to rescue you?"
"No. I didn't know until later when he came to visit me in the hospital. I told him to get them checked out to prevent infection, and I know the doctor treated his wounds, minor though they were. There was no way to know if he had been infected, but steps were taken to lessen the chance."
"So you say you did not knowingly infect Dean?"
"That is correct. I would never hurt anyone without express consent from the Wind Master. To infect someone...unthinkable." Even the committee could smell his conviction.
"Let's back up a bit. How long did it take your stalker..."
"Objection!" Kai called out.
"Sustained."
"My apologies. How long did it take until your guard caught up with you?" The way Travis said it spoke volumes. He was not apologetic, the committee knew it.
"About three hours." Kao replied.
"Did he say anything to you regarding bringing you back?"
"He said he had been given orders to bring me back one way or another." Kao's voice shook a bit.
"I would like the record to show that Kao Saechao's countenance is shaken at this point. Who would have given that order?"
"My brother, Kai."
"No further questions at this time, but I reserve the right to recall the witness." Travis sat back down and began whispering with Quint.
The head of the committee nodded. "Cross?"
Kai stood like he owned the world. "Mr. Saechao, did you, even in the slightest, give consent to the infected to give you aid?"
"As I said, I left it vague and open to interpretation."
"So you are saying, by your vague manner, it could be seen as consent?" Kai was trying pin him down, but Kao was having none of it.
"It could also be seen as dissent. Without either a definite yes or no, it is left up to the individual to decide. Dean took it as consent due to him genuinely wanting to help me. Due to his strong sense of morality. He asked me for consent as well. Most likely to stop a lawsuit." Kao flicked his eyes to Dean to see a small smirk.
Kai did not seem to be getting the answer he wanted. "When the infected began to give aid, why did you not stop him?"
"One, he is three times my size and I did not know how adamant he would be about helping me. Two, his presence had stopped my attacker for the time being. Yes, my attacker. He no longer guarded me. He assaulted me. Three, I did need medical attention. I had been running for over twenty-four hours with no pause for food or rest." Kao stopped there.
"Is there another reason?" Kai asked, sensing more to the story.
"Four...he smelled of the coastal winds, of freedom in the sky. He smelled of home." Kao looked at his hands, missing the look of love in Dean's eyes.
"So you let him treat you so you could stay and smell him?" Kai asked in disbelief.
"If you choose to see it that way. I did it to save my life, to save me from a wolf gone mad with blood lust, and if he happened to smell good, bonus for me." It was the first sign of rebellion and spunk he had shown, and it made Kai grimace a bit in anger.
"No further questions." Kai said a bit curtly.
"You may step down." Kao did so and went to sit next to Dean, who openly put his arm around him. "Mr. Andrews, your next witness?"
"Dean, would you take the stand?" Travis asked. Giving Kao's hand a squeeze, he stood and made his way forward. "Can you tell us, in your own words, what happened that day?"
"I was hiking, enjoying nature and the chance to clear my head of my own worries, when I saw a person being chased by the biggest wolf I had ever seen. When I saw him, meaning Kao, go over the cliff, I thought only of seeing if he were hurt and needing help. In my haste, I guess I did get a few small scrapes on my hands, but I did not feel them. I asked him his name, asked him if I could help him. He did leave it very vague, and at the time I thought he was in shock. I did what I could and picked him up to take him out of the ravine. Jon...um...Alpha Davenport came up to help. I'm guessing he heard the wolf howl and came running. Kao was taken to the hospital and Alpha-Mate Patrick Davenport provided first aid. I recall the gunk stinging, but I know how bad anti-bac gunk can hurt."
"So you admit to going into a situation, knowing there could be any sort of problem, yet not caring about your own safety as long as the person got out okay?" Travis summed up the general defense they relied on.
"Got it in one. Cub Scout, Life Guard, volunteer fireman...I've done my share of help. You don't think about yourself until after the injured is safe. Then you get patched up and be ready to help the next person. He could have had anything. HIV, AIDS, Hep-C. Hell, he could have had chicken pox, and I still would have helped."
"Was Kao's behavior after you pulled him out odd in any way?" Travis asked.
"No. He acted like anyone chased by a monster."
"Objection." said Kai.
"Object all you want," Dean said before the head could comment, "but I saw a wolf hunting down a young man. Driving him to ground like prey. Wild animals that attack people are usually put down. To my human eyes, my human experience, it was a monster wolf chasing a boy."
After a brief pause, the head said, "Over ruled."
Dean wanted to flip Kai the bird, but he had the sense to not do that. He could not, however, stop from smelling pleased, and he didn't even try.
"Dean, can you tell us a bit of what happened after? In the hospital?"
Dean told them almost word for word what happened, what was said, and all of it painted Kai in a bad light. The Pandion was seeing where all of this was going. They were trying to play up an abusive situation. Yet Kai knew that the committee were among the traditionalist type. He had asked for them for this reason.
"Thank you, Dean. No further questions."
"Cross?" Kai shook his head. He saw that he could not get any definitive answer out of him and opted to just let him go. "Very well, you may step down. Do you have any more witnesses, Mr. Andrews?"
"Unless you wish to hear the testimony of the Alpha pair and the Enforcer, I do not."
"This court will be in recess until one this afternoon." The gavel was banged, and the committee stood and filed out.
Kao stood beside Dean when his father came over. "Kao, are you sure you know what you are doing with this man? What may happen?"
"Yes, Father, which is the reason why we have not completed the mating." Kao braced himself for an explosion.
The Wind Master looked Dean up and down. "You smell of my son and of a woman. Explain yourself."
"With all due respect, sir, I need not explain my personal affairs. Where it comes to your son, I will say to you that my feelings for him are stronger than is prudent, but I will not give him up without a fight." Dean's tone was civil...barely.
"You have a fire within you, but what I have to say may quench it. I have found a bride for my son."
Both Dean and Kao took it like a physical blow, but Dean's response was to pull Kao in close. "He will wed who he wishes, when he wishes. Father or no, if you try to force him, you will have to contend with me. I am no Wind Master, but when it comes to my mate, I will fight to the death." Dean stared defiantly into the Wind Master's cold eyes. There was no clearer challenge in the Lycan world than this.
"Your mate...curious choice of words." The Wind Master turned as if Dean meant nothing to him. In fact, the Wind Master only feared two people in this room and respected another's power. Dean was not on that list. "Still, you remind me of a foolish child I knew in my youth. He, too, stood up to a greater foe with no fear. I shall ponder what you have said today. As for you, Kao, be sure of your choice. Once the gust has blown, you can only ride out the storm." With that, he sat and looked out of the window.
Kao pulled Dean out into the hall. "What were you thinking staring him down like that? Jon would not have gotten to you fast enough to stop your death." Kao seemed very panicked.
"Calm," Dean said, and stroked his cheek. It did calm him down. "Your father would not attack a lesser foe. I knew that. I know I am no match for him, but he had to know that I would not give you up, that I would rather die than live without you."
"Then why not say it that way? It would not have been taken as a challenge."
"Because," said Dean quietly, "there is no love in his heart. It died with his mate."
Kao's jaw dropped. "How...did you know?"
"You told me. The one person who survived the death of their mate. How they lived a lifeless and loveless life without them. I got nothing from him. Neither anger nor sadness. There is nothing there. So I had to find the thing to make him think rather than feel. We fight, I die, and he would lose you. We fight, I win, he loses face and you. We fight, it is just for show, you choose me, he loses you. We fight..."
"No matter what, Father loses me. No matter which way I choose, he would lose something from my choice. You saw all of that in him?" Kao was astonished that anyone could see so much in his stoic father.
"No, I saw myself in his eyes. I would bet everything I own that the foolish kid was him. Standing up for his own love against all odds. Feeling that gust and riding out the storm. Making a choice and living with the consequences, right?" Kao nodded. "Someone had to remind him of what it was like to be mated."
"Well, you're an idiot for doing it," said Jon as he came up. "You could have told me you were going to face down the Wind Master." He was worried, not angry.
"Didn't plan on it. The Wind Master doesn't know his sons."
"Explain that on the way to lunch." said Dylan.
"Simple. Kai has been running Kao's life for almost fifteen years without any input from the Wind Master. His shock confirmed it today. He never knew Kao is gay and never knew that Kai knew and took matters into his own hand. Probably never knew Kai was keeping Kao all but hostage."
They all looked at Kao. "I...guess it's possible. Father had more important things to worry about than me once I was old enough to fend for myself. Kai always fancied himself as the next Wind Master." Everyone either snorted in mirth or rolled their eyes. "I know. Still...did he act so surprised?"
"Yeah, and proud." Kao blinked at Dean's words. "You spoke of honesty, loyalty, honor and attributed it all to him. Perhaps he didn't realize you saw how he leads the flock and followed his example."
"He knows now," said Jon with a smile.
The first part of the trial.
Copyright © 2018 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 68
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

such a nice surprise to end 2016 with. i love this story arc and have waiting for it to be updated! i really hope Dean can figure it all out and be with Kao. i so love a happy ending. the Wind Master was so much more a complex critter than i 1st thought-nice writing there.
now i must say, can't wait till the next chapter comes out.
moggy

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Wonderful surprise, :thankyou:
I had the feeling Kao's father didn't know the truth about his sons. Not Kao being gay and not Kai being a bully. Hopefully, the consequences of Kai's behavior will now come home to roost squarely on his shoulders. :lol: After all the Wind Master seems honorable, even if he is an emotional retard. He will or should feel guilty about not dealing appropriately with his sons.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

This was an update I've been looking forward to! So much coming to light here, and things aren't always as they seem. Could the Wind Master be so different from Kai?

 

I really like to see how conflicted Dean is about Victoria. Many other mate-stories make the mates out to be heartless and oblivious, instantly forgetting the person they love. Not Dean. Makes it more believable.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This is the best present to send off 2016 ! It is a great chapter, now I have go back to re-read the first two books to brush up on this universe ...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/31/2016 07:25 PM, mogwhy said:

such a nice surprise to end 2016 with. i love this story arc and have waiting for it to be updated! i really hope Dean can figure it all out and be with Kao. i so love a happy ending. the Wind Master was so much more a complex critter than i 1st thought-nice writing there.

now i must say, can't wait till the next chapter comes out.

moggy

Thanks so much for reading and sticking with me. Dean's struggle is something that will sort itself out in the end. Writing the Wind Master was a bit hard. As an author, I like emotion, and the Master has none

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/31/2016 07:54 PM, Timothy M. said:

Wonderful surprise, :thankyou:

I had the feeling Kao's father didn't know the truth about his sons. Not Kao being gay and not Kai being a bully. Hopefully, the consequences of Kai's behavior will now come home to roost squarely on his shoulders. :lol: After all the Wind Master seems honorable, even if he is an emotional retard. He will or should feel guilty about not dealing appropriately with his sons.

The Wind Master is all about honor and tradition. When I first pictured him, I thought of George Takei on a very bad day, much like he was in the series Heroes.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/31/2016 11:41 PM, Puppilull said:

This was an update I've been looking forward to! So much coming to light here, and things aren't always as they seem. Could the Wind Master be so different from Kai?

 

I really like to see how conflicted Dean is about Victoria. Many other mate-stories make the mates out to be heartless and oblivious, instantly forgetting the person they love. Not Dean. Makes it more believable.

Some authors make the animal too strong when writing about mating. I can understand why when they are in their lunar forms, but love does not just vanish, in my opinion. It takes time. I wanted to make Dean feel that turmoil, to see how much the loss of either would hurt, but he had to suffer so he knew for a fact that Kao was his mate.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 01/01/2017 12:29 AM, hohochan657 said:

This is the best present to send off 2016 ! It is a great chapter, now I have go back to re-read the first two books to brush up on this universe ...

Happy reading. I hope this help keep the overall story arc fresh in your mind.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

:D

 

Thanks for the wonderful chapter. Really liking the introduction of Kai's father and his persona. The next chapter should be interesting... I wonder what Kai is going to pull? And how will the Council deal with all the evidence?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Each and everyone of these 6 chapters were so well written. I could feel the confused love, the anger, the heart pounding fear & the fierce pride and power.
I have read over fifty stories and very few have moved me the way this story has. Please do not drag your feet with posting the next installment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/01/2017 01:38 PM, TIMMIGON said:

Each and everyone of these 6 chapters were so well written. I could feel the confused love, the anger, the heart pounding fear & the fierce pride and power.

I have read over fifty stories and very few have moved me the way this story has. Please do not drag your feet with posting the next installment.

Wow. I'm glad to hear such high praise. a wonderful way for me to start this new year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow, greate chapter...I love Dean. Hope your having a good start to this new year. And that you post soon and more close. Have a good week

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/09/2017 02:40 PM, Afrodita79 said:

Wow, greate chapter...I love Dean. Hope your having a good start to this new year. And that you post soon and more close. Have a good week

Dean has been a bit of a challenge to write. I try to make his acceptance of the relationship to Kai almost reluctant, but to overdo it would not be my style. It is very much out of his control, yet he isn't adverse to it. Finding that balance has been hard.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Finally able to catch up on my reading and what a wonderful surprise to see this new chapter was posted. I have been a fan of your writing since Lit and am not disappointed with this book. You have such wonderful characters within this world. Seeing Dean grow and accept Kao is amazing because you can feel the love, uneasiness, and strength within him for Kao. Dean's ability to be able read people is so immediate and awesome. I hope he continues to develop that and is able to use it with Kao's mediator skills.
The Wind Master was given some new intel about his sons. I wonder what he will do with that. Waiting on more chapters. Much love and happiness to you and thank you for the stories.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/24/2017 05:54 AM, Williford76 said:

Finally able to catch up on my reading and what a wonderful surprise to see this new chapter was posted. I have been a fan of your writing since Lit and am not disappointed with this book. You have such wonderful characters within this world. Seeing Dean grow and accept Kao is amazing because you can feel the love, uneasiness, and strength within him for Kao. Dean's ability to be able read people is so immediate and awesome. I hope he continues to develop that and is able to use it with Kao's mediator skills.

The Wind Master was given some new intel about his sons. I wonder what he will do with that. Waiting on more chapters. Much love and happiness to you and thank you for the stories.

With the Wind Master is not as clueless as Kai seems to think

  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Dean sees more than most; not only with his eyes but all of him.  That is rare in any man.  Kao is lucky that he knows right from the first what Dean truly feels about him, some spend a life with another and never know.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

The trial scene was very well written and felt authentic.  Kai's anger was palpable.  What was a surprise was Dean's challenge to Kao's father.  However, his explanation of his action to Kao and the rest demonstrated a very analytical mind that put the pieces together in a very logical picture of the Wind Master, his state of mind and his ignorance of what had been happening to his sons.  I love this chapter! 

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..