Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 7,976 Words
  • 3,229 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Bard and the Prince - 2. Chapter 2

When Robin awoke it was because the gentle swaying had stopped. He opened his eyes to familiar surroundings. All stables looked, smelled, and sounded the same. Lexi was just pulling up rein in a stall. “Awake?”

“Mmhmm.” Robin swung his leg over and landed more heavily than he would have liked, but there was only minimal pain. Lexi slid off and went to unsaddle Mist when Robin started doing it.

“You don't have to do that.”

“I need to do something to repay you for your kindness. Besides, grooming a horse is relaxing.” Robin showed he was an old hand around a stable. He knew exactly where the tack was stowed and seemed to know exactly how long to brush Mist in her favorite spots before moving on to the next.

Yes, this minstrel would be worth getting to know.

Once he was done he turned to find Lexi waiting in the shadows of a hall he had not noticed, which was odd because he always noted entrances and exits. “This way.” The minstrel followed as quietly as his mostly healed feet would allow and he was not surprised when his feet stepped up onto stone. “I need to prepare father for you being here, so I ask you to please wait in here.” They came to a thin shaft of light that cut through the darkness. Lexi went up to it and looked through. Seemingly satisfied he swung open a door.

The room beyond was richer than any Robin had seen and he had once performed for the Baron Demarko and his family. Their entire estate could be bought by just the contents of this room. There was carpeting with blue and silver swans flying across a black background. The bed could comfortably sleep six, ten if they were well acquainted, and was covered in a royal blue blanket trimmed in silver satin lace! The frame was solid iron wood, rare in these parts, and was tastefully done with swans as the top of the bedposts and holding up the gossamer silk bed curtains.

Tapestries of every season hung on the walls and a portrait of Lexi when he was maybe two years younger was hung above the huge fire place. Robin could swear the frame was solid gold. “This is your room?”

“Unfortunately. I sleep here when I must, but I live out there.” He gestured to the huge north facing windows.

Robin's mouth fell open in awe. Stretched out before him were rolling hills patch worked with different crops and orchards. Beyond that was a large city, larger than any he had seen and even from here he could tell that there were more people in that one city than in the entire province where he was born. But it was not this white walled city that caught his attention. What lay beyond it was without peer.

Shining in the afternoon sun, alight with fiery red and oranges, were the Crystal Falls. Legends had been told about these falls. Were one to be standing at the base of them you would see the merfolk beckoning for you to join them for a swim. No one could tell you what was at the top because there was no top, as the legends went. The falls were the direct connection to the home of the gods and their bountiful lands gave birth to the falls and their profusion of life. The waters were so pure that one taste would rid you of any poisons or disease. To bathe in the waters would cure anything short of death. It was a place of wonders, one he had always hoped to see.

Lexi watched the wonder in his eyes and had to smile. He took for granted the view from his window except when he brought company here because then he could see it anew through their eyes. He could see Robin's mind churning as he tried to describe the sight and put it to verse. With a gesture he motioned forward two servants and softly whispered orders concerning the guest. With nods they left as quietly as they had come. They were back a moment before Robin turned with a stunning smile to look at him. “I'm glad you like it. Robin, these are George and Winifred. They will see that you are bathed and clothed before meeting with my Father. If you need anything, just ask them and it will be handled. This shouldn't take too long. Wini, mind the scabs, he's been through a lot.” Straightening his jerkin Lexi left the room.

“Would you please follow me, Master Robin,” said George who had that air of dignified sophistication of one used to dealing with royalty, “your bath awaits.”

For the next hour Robin was bathed and fussed over by a gaggle of women who seemed to take perverse pleasure in making him blush. “Fair ladies all, I can wash myself.”

“A silver tongued lad, you are. And such lovely hair.” He was of course ignored.

“His face is even prettier than Prince Ethan. Well, Father Ethan as it were.”

“True. And his voice would shame even Master Bard Raven, I bet you.” It went on like this for the first thirty minutes and the next thirty was fitting for clothing. Had he not been bathed by these same ladies he would have felt silly being naked in front of them. Thankfully there were outfits in roughly his size that were a little baggy. They were of the finest cut and fabrics. “I think the emerald looks better on him than it would have on HIM.” The way she said it did not speak well of whoever this outfit was originally made for.

“Indeed, but we must play up the color of his eyes. The emerald vest with the amber shirt over...” And they began to dress him in at least five different sets of clothes. Thankfully only two were opulent. The others were simple woolens but still finely tailored if big on him. Robin wondered if he was still falling into the river after being hit in the head and this was all a dream...or he had died and this was his heaven.

* * *

Lexi was in a bad mood as he came back to his rooms. His father had been amused by his tale, but his eldest brother was feeling unhelpful and wanted to examine this “bard” his youngest bane had dragged home. When he opened the doors to the rooms he stopped. Who was this? He could only stare in rapt attention as Robin turned his head and gave him a winning smile. Gods above the man was beautiful! Underneath all the muck and grime was the most gorgeous man he had ever seen. Creamy complexion set off by hair so red that it was almost living fire, there were no fit words to describe how he looked in those clothes. No lady would ever fail to turn their heads if he walked by. “You look better, Robin,” was all he could muster.

“I feel better, Lexi. Am I dreaming? Am I still being chased and you're just a figment of my imagination?”

“No, you are very much awake and I am very much in a load of shit.” Lexi closed the door and George appeared as if by magic.

“Your father did not take it well?”

“He's not in the least surprised, but my brother? He seems to hate you because you are my guest. As heir, Father holds his opinion in high esteem and I had not foreseen the fact that Frederick would be angry with me. Why, I haven't the foggiest. Most likely because I am still breathing.” He pulled off his coat and shirt, tugged off his pants and went to the wash basin in his small clothes. Robin had to admire Lexi before he turned to give him some privacy. He had a compact body built for the hunt with no lick of fat on him. His shoulders seemed even more broad because of his height, although only compared to someone like Robin was he short. “Like it is my fault my mother was not of noble stock and Father married her for love rather than political standings. Of course after having four boys he could marry for love.” Lexi pulled on clothes more fitting for a land owner's son.

His father must be very wealthy, Robin thought, those have to be pearls around the neck and cuffs. The nearest ocean was leagues away. How did this one land owner have such extravagant things in his fifth son's wardrobe and room? “Is it really that bad?”

“Yes. I may have said something I should have not, but Fred made me so angry that it just slipped out.” Lexi sighed. “I told him you were a journeying bard and that your horse had thrown you when spooked by a snake, you fell in the river and cut yourself pretty badly.”

“What?” Robin looked spooked.

“I know, I know. It's a lie, but...”

“I never made journeyman bard. I only got to apprentice before my master died.”

“What? You mean you actually have bard training?” Robin nodded. “Then all might not be lost. How far were you from your journey?” His face had that cloud with a silver lining look.

“Master Meadowlark said I was ready, but he needed one other bard to agree and then he died before another one could be found.” Robin sat on the window seat. “I can't lie, Lexi. A real bard would know in a heartbeat I was lying.”

“How?”

“My left ear is not pierced.” He pointed to his earlobe where no earring would go since there was no hole.

“Easily fixed. Wini!” The maid came bustling in with a large assortment of earrings in a box. It was a rule when in a noble house: the servants were always listening. “Pick one that closest resembles a bard's earring.” He was shown many different styles, but only one fit.

“It has to be the teardrop ruby. Master...yeeouch!” he cried as Winifred thrust the earring through his lobe and clasped it. “Warn me! And they will know it was just pierced.”

“Not if you hold still.” Once again Lexi began to chant under his breath and the wound healed up as if he had had the earring for years. “There. Now you look the part.”

“One last problem.”

“What's that?”

“I'm only sixteen. I would not start my journey until I turned seventeen and that won't happen until Winter.”

“You're sixteen?” The shock was evident in Lexi's voice. “I could have sworn you were older than me.”

“How old are you?”

“Nineteen as of two weeks ago.”

“So you're baby faced and I'm more mature for my age. That still does not get us past the fact that I am too young.”

Lexi turned to pace a few steps. “Has no one ever started their journeying early?”

“If they could handle themselves on the road. I can't use a sword and can barely hit anything with a bow. My plans...before my master died was to learn the basics of sword work this Winter and the start my journey this Spring.”

Lexi resumed his pacing. “I assume you can play a lute, right?”

“Probably better than you can, but I still have a lot to learn.” George left and came back with a well worn case. When Lexi opened it up he removed a masterwork lute. Its body was stained with swans on it and the fret board had to be made of either jet or onyx with pearl inlay.

“Play for me. Anything a journeyman bard would know.”

Robin reverently tuned this art of an instrument and played a chord. The resonance was superb, far better than even Master Meadowlark's lute, and the action was easy. After a moment of savoring the notes Robin plucked out a melody that made Lexi sit on his bed. Gods above he was fantastic! From the first note Lexi had been swept away on an adventure on the high seas. The song was one that told of a pair of lovers kept apart by an ocean and political feuding between two warring nations. It told how they each set sail to leave their families and go to the arms of their beloved. Only the two captains of the ships met in battle with each other on the open sea, neither knowing that the lovers' life partner was on the other ship. Both ships went down, but amid the wreckage in the middle of the ocean the two found each other and embraced even as they drowned.

When Robin stopped Wini's eyes were misty and even George seemed moved, but tears ran down Lexi's cheeks. “That bad?”

“Gods above I've never heard its equal. No one will ever doubt you for a bard. Can you sing?” His voice was breathy as if he did not want to break the spell of such a phenomenal musician.

“Yes, but I try not to do both at the same time.”

“Why, if I may ask?”

For an answer Robin sang the same song he had just played and his voice was everything his speaking voice said it would be. Smooth, caressing, mellow as fine brandy, he had a way that made you live the song. Then he played one chord and Lexi's breathing stopped. He gasped for air and it returned as Robin halted his song. “Had I kept going you would be dead.” Lexi took a shuddering breath and sobbed out a cry.

“That...what was that?” Wini and George came over to be sure he was fine. The maid looked at the bard with a look of awed suspicion.

“Master says that it is an aspect of magic, but he had only met one other bard with the skill until I came along. It's dangerous if I play a song like that. Too much emotion can kill.”

“Can you...hurt someone? Or heal them?”

“Not that I know of. If the song is tied to emotions then I can affect someone that way, but I can't cut someone or heal a wound. I have once sung someone to life. They had lost the will to live and they were slowly dying from not eating or sleeping.” Robin got up and gave the lute back to George. “It was so easy to do too. One song changed her mind about living. Too easy. So I do not sing and play songs together, not unless they are happy songs.”

A soft tap on the door made Lexi stiffen. “Enter,” he said in a voice Robin had not heard. It was the voice of a noble, a high born man with no joy in this life.

A servant poked his head in. He was probably six years old and was most likely training to be a butler one day. “Sir, your presence is requested in the Hall.”

“Thank you Parker.” Lexi stood and glided out of the room. The tone he had used when he saw the boy was much nicer and warm. He was obviously fond of the boy.

Wini tugged at Robin's sleeve. “Two steps behind on his left.” He nodded and fell in place, Wini one step behind him and on Lexi's right. “Our Lexi is a good one, Robin. A real prince no matter what the heir says.”

Robin stopped cold and Lexi did too. “What exactly is your title, Lexi?”

“It's...Prince Alexander de Aren, Son of His Royal Majesty King Horatio the Fifth, lord of the province of Trea and Last scion of the house of Miller.” The way he said it made it clear he did not like his title.

“Your Highness, forgive my every action. Had I but known...”

“Save it, Robin. I hate all that nonsense. I'm just Lexi. 'Your Highness' is my brother, save it for him.”

“Okay, but you could have warned me I was to speak with royalty.” The eye roll was perfect and it put Robin at ease once again. “Lead on your royal anus.” The young boy looked on in horror.

They traversed a maze of corridors and Robin had to use every memory prompt he had learned just to remember where they were. Rounding one last bend they came to a set of double doors that had a pair of guards flanking them. “Another one, Lexi?” asked a grizzled old man, but his age did not mark the man as weak. Robin knew this man was far more dangerous than someone half his age and twice his vitality.

“Yes and no. A guest who ran into some trouble.”

“Ah. Another one of those.” The armsman chuckled as he stepped in to announce his arrival. Lexi's posture was guarded and very defensive; he did not like what was about to happen. No, he was upset it had to happen this way. As the doors opened Wini gave Robin a smile of reassurance and glided away like any other lady at court.

The richness of the King's palace had not prepared him for this room. Robin expected grand tapestries and paintings of valiant deeds handing from the walls. Expected there to be hundreds of flunkies awaiting the king's every whim and vying for his every scrap of praise.

What he got was the coldest room he had ever seen. The ceiling was some black stone and set into the high dome was a set of plain gray scales. It was supported by expressionless stone giants as if the entire weight of the kingdom rested on their shoulders but it was a burden they accepted willingly. The walls were worked and unadorned granite that almost sucked the warmth and light out of the torches and gave nothing in return. Under his feet was the roughest stone floor he could remember. There was no joy in this place. No one sat in the tiered sections of the west wall...of this hall of justice. Robin knew this was where the King and his advisers sat in judgment on criminal proceeding so grave that the public could not attend. Sedition, treason, theft from the royal family, regicide...kidnapping a royal prince. Here was the reason Alexander was so upset. Here...he would be judged.

The bench was occupied by no one. This was not formal court when the King would sit in the literal High Seat to oversee the proceedings. There were five men in the chairs below. Two stood off to the side. There was no mistaking the King so the dour face copy of him must be the Crown prince. He was dressed in a sapphire doublet studded with pearls that looked to be part fashion part armor. He was tall, at least as tall as Robin, and a powerfully built man in his early thirties. He wore the longsword well.

Beside him was a small, spryly built man of middle age, and there was no mistaking him. This was a master Bard, the one who looked to have a permanent case of indigestion mixed with a pole up his nether regions. He wore all black, he had black hair and eyes and a mood of brooding angst that sent up warning flags in Robin's head. This was not a man to cross. Or turn your back on.

Then came the King. He too wore all black, but his was not the ebony hue of death. No he wore black robes of office, they had interrupted court to deal with this matter, but it was not so important to the king that he change. It was just his youngest and obviously cherished son being himself and bringing home strays. The king was in his early fifties but he was vital and the only wrinkles on his face were laugh lines. This was a man who wore the Kingship well and took his duties seriously without taking himself seriously. This was a man who likes to laugh and have fun...a man Robin instantly admired and respected.

Then came the second born son. He was as tall as the King which put him an inch shorter than Robin, but his eyes were not the same shade of green. His eyes, while treating this occasion with formal seriousness, were hazel and his jaw was stronger and more square. Other than that there was no question who sired the man. He wore the colors and uniform of the King's personal Guard and Robin did not doubt he could use those two longswords together or in combination with the daggers in his boot tops or the heavy crossbow beside his chair. A dangerous man, but obviously so, so he was no real threat. He was a soldier.

The last was the famous Father Ethan, the third born. He was not as tall as the king or his other sons but still taller than Alexander. His hair was tousled unlike the others who were groomed immaculately and he wore plain alabaster robes and a mantle of blue for his office. There was no guile here, no plots or thoughts that did not show on his undeniably pretty face. He most likely spoke his mind honestly if he spoke it at all. Father Ethan was a good listener and probably offered sagely advice which was odd because he was only twenty-five. And, Robin had to admit, he was a very good looking man.

Alexander started across the hall, his hard sole boots ringing loudly in the acoustics. Robin was exactly where he needed to be but not where he wanted to be. He wanted to be anywhere but here. Well, anywhere in the palace would be better except for the dungeons. “Father, may I present Journeyman Bard Robin. Robin this is King Horatio V, ruler of the Kingdom of Lycenia and his heir is Crown Prince Frederick. Prince Nathan is head of the Royal Guard and Father Eatme...Ethan.” The slip from formality said that Ethan was someone he liked. “And of course the last is Master bard Raven and your loudest opposition.” There was a heat there. Lexi did not like the bard at all and had no problems voicing the fact behind veiled words.

Robin took two steps up and bowed with a flourish of the cape. “When I left on this journey I had hoped to play for nobility. Had I known I was going to lose my horse, fall in a river, nearly drown and THEN be granted audience with the King...I would have done it all over again.” This got a smile from the king and Father Ethan. Nathan was straight face but the other two scowled.

“Quite a tale my son has told me. I hope you were not gravely injured.”

“Nothing time will not heal, Your Majesty, although thanks to the teachings of Father Ethan,” at this he nodded to the Priest-Prince, “Prince Alexander was able to apply some welcome first aid. May I be frank, Your Majesty?”

“Only if I can be Jim.” The response was not one Robin expected from anyone not in a tavern. “I always ask people to be honest and speak their mind. Not tactlessly so, but honest.” The King seemed to be treating this as a welcome distraction from his day.

“Your son saved my life. I know I would have died in that river. Then he brings me here and has treated me with all respect and kindness. It is a lot to take in going from journeyman bard to Guest of a prince. I have you to thank for it as well. Were you not so open minded I would not be here.” There was no levity to his voice, no joking involved. He felt he had received a gift other than his life.

“How so open minded?”

“Well, Your Majesty, if Prince Alexander did not have such a free rein I would be dead. Were he not so adept at a little bit of everything I would be fish food. Had you not given him his head for his education, I would never have had the opportunity to guest in this glorious castle. So thank you, oh Great King Horatio, for letting this one grow up like every other person.” The last he said as he bowed again.

“I like you, Bard Robin. Your honesty and conviction are a fresh air here. I do hope you will join us for supper tonight and entertain us with at least one song now. I would like to hear you.” Said that way he could not refuse although the murderous glare from Raven made his bowels turn to ice.

“Any requests?”

“Something that has life. Something with a toe tapping beat. Something that would never be appropriate in court.” Robin broke into a grin. He liked this King.

He chose a song that was favored in taverns because it had that rousing chorus everyone could sing along with, a great back beat, and would definitely not be allowed in court. The song was only filled with happy feelings so Robin had no qualms about singing it and from the way the King and Father Ethan sang along they felt it too. Nathan was bobbing his head and tapping his foot and Robin guessed he was just a very private man. But Frederick and Raven were livid. They hated him. Plain and simple. When he came to close the King clapped like a child on Festival Day and said, “Most splendid, Bard Robin. I enjoyed that though I think some might be green with envy.” He looked askance at Raven whose expression was now one of neutrality. The King's look was one that said that “Robin is our guest and you will stay away from him.” When the king turned back he was all smiles again. “I thank you, but matters of state await. Quarters will be prepared for you and a page will be assigned.”

“The young lad who was sent to fetch us would be fine, if he meets your approval.”

“Yes, Melina's boy will be fine. Alexander, since he is your guest he is your responsibility.”

“As always, Father.” Lexi bowed and left with the same stiff backed march he had come in with and Robin bowed out and quickly fell into place. Once they left the Hall Lexi sagged against the wall with a sigh. “That could have gone much worse.”

“Alexander, that was not so bad. Your father seemed to like me and I think I saw a ghost of a smile on Prince Nathan's face.”

“Father went into this with an open mind and you walked out of there with his respect. That was all I could ever hope for. Ethan will respect you and trust you until you betray that trust, so no bonus points there. You did fabulously with Nathan, I've never seen him so animated in twelve years.” Alexander's grin fell away. “Watch out for the other two. Frederick will harass you simply because he's a petty ass, but it's Raven you have to watch out for. He's a twisted snake in the grass and you are far better than him. He knew it from the first note and he knows the only reason he has this position is because he is my father's brother-in-law. You are a threat to him. I had hoped to have Father meet you in his sitting room with just Frederick, but I forgot today was Court.”

“I will watch out for Raven. I know his type and I know him by reputation. And the Crown Prince...well it's a big castle.”

The page boy reappeared. “Your quarters have been prepared, sir.” He was trying so hard to be proper that Robin had to like him.

“Then lead on. Alexander, I do hope that you will not get lost trying to find me.” He grinned and the prince had to shake his head.

“Actually I'll follow you so I know where they put you.”

“South wing,” said the page boy.

“Ah, then you'll be just down the hall. Nicely phrased, Parker.” Lexi strolled off down the hall. “They call it something else around here, but since I took over residence in it no one calls it the Bastard's Wing anymore, at least not to my face.”

“Weren't your parents married?” The eternal busybody in Robin wanted to know.

“Not when I was conceived. The first queen was pregnant with my favorite brother you have not met yet but was only starting to show. Father and she had been at odds for years because Ethan was not in the line of succession because his gifts of magic were priestly and divine, not arcane. She wanted him to be raised as a prince of the house should, but law is law and he was given over to the priesthood at the age of two.

“He was fostered in the monastery that is less than a day's ride from here so every sixth day he was brought home to be with the family, a concession to the Queen.” They arrived in the south wing and the boy gave directions. “Good, they put you in the best room in the wing.”

“How is it the best?” Alexander opened the door into a tastefully done room in soft blue. There were no gaudy tapestries or paintings, just simple elegance. “I like it. Far better than that travesty you have.”

“You know my pain,” he replied solemnly and then giggled. “If you want me I'm five doors down on the right or you could just go through the fireplace.” Lexi went to the fireplace and pressed on one of the swans there. A secret door swung open and he stepped in. “See you at supper.” Then he was gone.

Robin was grinning as he turned to look at his page. “And your name is?”

“Everyone calls me Melina's boy,” he said. The boy would never be handsome. His ears stuck out too far and he had a wine stain birthmark across his face. He did have an infectious grin if he would stop trying to be so formal.

“And what does your mother call you besides 'you little imp?'”

That earned a smile. “Parker.”

“Well then, Parker, my mother named me Cob, which is something I want you to keep a secret,” Parker nodded and crossed his heart. “Good. Now there will not be any Sir and some such. I'm a bard, not a lord or stuff shirt swaggering peacock. Robin will be fine.” Robin went to sat on the bed and patted the mattress beside him. The boy had never been allowed to even sit on the bed let alone when anyone else was in it.

“I...I couldn't.”

“You can because you're my page and I hope my new friend. If anyone says otherwise, unless it's the King of course, then you tell them you have my permission.” It took only a moment for him to get up on the tall bed. “Now, I need information about the King. What songs doesn't he like, what he likes, every thing. Spill.”

“But I'm just a page boy.”

“Who has seen more of this court than I ever will. You probably know things the King doesn't so I need your help or else I won't be here very long.” Parker began to spill everything he thought Robin would need to know.

Lexi, still in the passage, smiled. Robin would do very well in court, he already knew that children and servants were privy to all sorts of information and that they were always there. The prince walked down the passage and into his room. “I know you're in here. You can stop the hiding.”

A young man in a simple gray robe appeared out of nowhere and grinned. He was taller than Lexi and willow thin with broad shoulders and piercing brown eyes that held many secrets. Handsome in a bookish way, he would turn heads if he would actually try. “You know me so well, Lexi.”

“Yes, I do, Trav. Make us private?” Lexi sat on the bed as Travis, the fourth born wizard son, cast a spell to ward against eavesdropping, and joined his brother on the bed. As soon as the spell was cast Lexi let out a scream. He grabbed the pillow and screamed into it while kicking his feet.

“That bad, huh?” Trav always loved to see his brother's reactions to any situation and ones like this were always so comical.

“Gods above I know you were watching. You saw how those two treated him! Oh I wanted to wring Frederick's neck and run Raven through.” Lexi wanted to punch his eldest brother in the nose at least once a day on general principle but on occasions like today he wanted to force feed him acid.

“Very unfair of them, but they will not change any more than we will. You know that Robin has a gift, right?” Lexi nodded. “It's subtle, so subtle I almost did not feel it. He can impose his will on others through song.” There was a lot admiration in his tone.

“He told me. Gods above when he played the Lover's Song I was in tears and I hate that song. Then he sang it...Trav I stopped breathing. Literally I felt like I was drowning, but I would go down willingly if he was there beside me.” There was a glint in his eyes that made Travis take stock of this lad in their midst. Had he somehow ensorcelled Lexi?

“You like him.” Trav poked his brother in the ribs. There were no secrets between them. They were born only two months apart so it was almost like they were twins instead of half brothers. Travis knew that Alexander was one of the rare men who preferred the same sex. Lexi had told him when they were thirteen and Trav had never betrayed that secret.

“Gods above he is the most beautiful man I have ever seen.” He giggled. Only with Trav did he ever let go of all his walls and just be free. “When I saw him in the river I was concerned. I got him out and bandaged up and when he awoke I looked into his amber gold eyes...I was lost. Gods I have never fallen this hard this fast. He...he seemed to sense something from me. Maybe it's his gift, but I think he knows I like him and he doesn't care. Not like that. He is not put off by my preference.

“Then I got him upright and he's so tall.” Lexi was all giggly and Travis loved to see him this way. It was a far better Lexi than the brooding one he was use to seeing after a day in court.

“And you like tall men,” Trav pointed out as if it was obvious.

“So? Mist loves him too.”

“Then he's your soul mate. Her instincts are infallible. If she even tolerates someone then the person is okay. She likes him? He must be a saint.”

Lexi gave his brother a friendly shove. It was true, though. Mist was not a normal horse thanks to some clever spells from Travis. “I know that Father would never agree to any man for me, but if I ever needed a miracle it would be now. I want to be with him and I haven't even known him for a day.” Yes he had it bad.

“Yeah, you've got it bad,” the wizard said giving voice to his thought. “So, tell me the truth about him. I know that bull story was for father or more likely Frederick. What really happened?” So Lexi told him everything. He did not find it disturbing that Robin was the quarry for the Cat Chasers, but what did disturb him was the change in the political climate of their neighbors. “I'll see what I can scry out. If nothing else then Robin's visit does keep us abreast of change.”

“Now, your opinion of him.” Trav's opinion carried a lot of weight with him. If Trav saw something he did not he wanted to know.

“Honestly? I like him. He respects Father, likes Ethan, understands Nathan and hates Raven and Frederick. I heard his voice and he's got natural talent honed into a fine tool. His honesty is refreshing, but he won't tell you everything. He likes you for obvious reasons not having to do with the fact that you saved his life, although don't be surprised if he feels obligated.”

“I know he does. How far do I let him go before I tell him enough is enough?”

“Not too far, but let him feel like he's returning the favor. He does not like being in anyone's debt so be prepared for him being too kind sometimes.”

“How do you know that?” Lexi asked, wondering if his brother was not sharing some new spell he had learned to eavesdrop on someone's thoughts.

“Easy,” Trav said as he laid his hand on his brother's shoulder, “He's a lot like you. Be careful. I don't want this one to be another Corbin.”

Lexi winced as he remembered the man. He had been dashing, sweet, honey tongued and said he was willing. They had gotten very serious, Lexi buying him his own horse, expensive trinkets, even his own farm way out in the middle of nowhere. In return Lexi had been laughed at when he asked if Corbin was serious. “Serious? Dear, dear prince, I was never serious. I only wanted your money.” Then he had walked away, leaving a stunned then sixteen year old Lexi with his mouth open. Trav was told about it and he said he would rectify the situation.

The wizard had exacted his own revenge on behalf of his brother. Corbin would forever be denied true love or even simple compassion because scarred across his forehead was the word “FAITHLESS” in big bluish letters. He would never again feel the warmth of an embrace because he would forever pine over the mistake he made. There was one counter for all this magic. He had to apologize to Lexi and mean it. Not just to get rid of the curse but for hurting him so badly. He would never get the curse lifted because he had been conscripted into the guard and put on the front where he had died. He was killed by the Captain of the guard, Nathan doing his family duty and removing a traitor. How he had found out was beyond Travis.

Lexi was never told.

“But cheer up,” Trav said as he saw Lexi spiraling down into his memories again, “I have a good feeling about this one, and Mist agrees with me. I...” He stopped as the ward for privacy dissipated. “You should get ready for supper. He is your guest after all.” They got off the bed and Trav smoothed out his robes.

“Will you make an appearance?”

“Maybe. We'll see,” which meant he would not. Trav was a very studious and solitary man. He loved his father and Lexi, respected Nathan and Ethan and hated Frederick and Raven. Everyone else was given simple courtesy and was left alone.

Both looked as the portrait of King Horatio II swung inward. “Alexander?” Robin asked before entering.

“I'm here Robin.” Trav made to leave but Lexi was ready for it and had a vice grip on his brother's wrist before he could even blink. The bard stepped fully through and had to grin. There was no mistaking who this other occupant was and the robes named him a wizard. By the spooked look in his eyes he was not fond of meeting new people.

“You need to show me more of these. Handy things.”

“I know. Robin, this is the only relative I really give a rat's hind quarters about. Travis, this is Robin, journeyman bard.”

Robin bowed deeply even though he was in breeches and linen under shirt. “A pleasure to meet you, Your Highness. Or shall I call you Travis as your brother seems to think titles unimportant?”

“Trav. Welcome to Lycenia, Robin. I hope you are well after your ordeal.” Trav was stuck now so Lexi let go of his wrist with a smug grin.

“Do you want honesty or what the two of us concocted?” He had a feeling this was the one person Lexi kept nothing from. Everyone had that person.

“Honesty, please.”

“I'm so scared right now I can't even remember the words to the Even Song,” which was saying something because it was the first song everyone learned. “I'm giving a command performance for the royal Family of Lycenia and all I have are the cast offs of an ass of a Prince who did not like the way the shirts did not show off his shoulders, a borrowed, yet masterfully crafted, lute I don't know the nuances of, with no planned repertoire except what a seven year old knows the King likes, which is not much, and to top it all off...” he took a breath finally, “I'm having the time of my life!” He grinned. “I'm in a castle, guest of a charming prince who hates that he is one, speaking to a wizard and I'm not being chased from the border to Morath and back.”

Lexi was chuckling at the poleaxed look on Trav's face. “You wanted honesty. You'll have to excuse Trav, Robin, he's antisocial. Your books await, Trav.”

“We'll see you at supper, right? It'll be nice to have a friendly face around.”

Put like that there was no way for Trav to refuse. “Yes, I will be there. I should get ready, then. Lexi, Robin.” He left with as much dignity as he could muster and Lexi closed the door behind him.

The two of them busted into laughter. “You're good. I have never seen him so easily manipulated.”

“It's a talent. I knew there was one brother left, the reclusive wizard. I know how to handle recluses. So, he knows everything?”

“Yeah, safer that way.” Lexi motioned to the window seat where the sun was just setting on the horizon. It set the entire sky aflame and Robin let out a sigh. “You seem rested.”

“As well as could be expected. Parker, by the way, is a godsend. He's honest to a fault, but I need someone I know will be privy to gossip.” Lexi looked curious as to why. “I'm a minstrel, Alexander, and we thrive on gossip. That one drop of information could be that song that puts you on the map. The one that everyone will hear and know who wrote it.”

“Is that all you want in life? A song?”

“No, it's not, but it's the first stepping stone to what I want to do.”

“And that is?”

“You ever wonder where all the music in the world is stored? You know, like a library for music?” Lexi shook his head. It was never high on his priorities to think about it. It was interesting thought though. Where was the Library of Music? “Would it shock you to know there is no such place?”

“Actually, yes.” He figured the Bardic guild would have a strong hold where every song out there was logged and cataloged. How then did anyone learn a new song?

“That's what I want to do. Build such a place.” His eyes got that far away look of anyone who has ever had a vision of what they wanted in life. “To make and store history. One day, when I am long gone from this world, youngsters will look back at the old songs and wonder what were we thinking! Music will have evolved so much that there will be new instruments to play, new ways to arrange pieces and songs written for no reason other than to provide entertainment.” He blinked and looked back at Lexi. “That is what I want from my life. That will be my legacy.”

“A far better legacy than I will ever have. Sure, I have my own lands and my Mother's lands given by Father when she was made Duchess before she became queen. I suppose overseeing them for the next generation would be a perfect legacy.”

“But you want more.” Lexi nodded. “Alexander...”

“You can still call me Lexi.”

“Lexi, you don't seem to realize what you are worth. No one save for two who shall remain nameless has a bad word to say about you. From the miller's son whom you helped out of a bind when his family had a bad year, to Parker who thinks your feet only touch the ground when you are not walking, to the Steward who I understand is George's son and has the job because you asked the King to appoint him. I know you are older than me, Lexi, but I've lived out there.” He gestured to the city. The way it sat there made it seem a world apart from Lexi's even though he spent as little time in this room as he could. “You have no idea how rare it is for any member of the noble caste to care what happened to the woodcutter's daughter. You're a Prince, Lexi, yet when she went missing in the woods you were with the scouts and trackers. Yes, all you found was the body, but you were there with no motive other than a child was lost and you could help. Need I mention that it was you who found the girl's murderer?” The man shook his head. Lexi had spent weeks looking for the bastard who had killed that poor child and it paid off. He had almost requested to signal the headsman to finish it or to wield the ax himself. “So think of it from the perspective of the people your brother seems to think serve him. You know the key to good ruling, and I think your father taught you. You serve the people, not the other way around.” The King had said those words many times. Nathan understood it far better than Frederick. “So think about that. No noble cares for the people. For one with your rank? Inconceivable. In all reality there is only one man higher than you in this kingdom, and he loves you too.

“So do not define yourself by what you cannot do or have not done. You have done more for this land than Frederick ever will unless he pulls his head out of his ass. It will be you, Alexander the Good, who will be the stuff of legends.”

Lexi could only gape. He had forgotten most of the things Robin had brought up, to him they were just nice things to do for people, yet years after the fact those same people remembered. Had he really made that big of an impact on people he had met maybe once in his life? “Are you for real? Do they actually call me that?”

“Lexi, they call you things far better. Your people love you. I see why. If I ever lost a daughter I can hope there is another Alexander out there to find her.” Then he grinned, dispelling some of the seriousness of the conversation. “If I ever fall into a river again I hope you're there to pull me out.”

Lexi looked down to try and hide the welling up of emotion he felt. “Thanks, Robin. No one has ever told me anything like that.” He looked up with his eyes narrowed. “How do you know about any of that?”

“Gossip, my friend, gossip.” His smile was pure sunshine.

Copyright © 2014 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..