Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 9,806 Words
  • 3,382 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Bard and the Prince - 3. Chapter 3

Robin wondered if he was still dreaming because just before supper a team of butlers swarmed his rooms with clothes he knew were brand new. He had been literally in the process of putting the finishing touches on his costume when a knock came at the door and then a dozen men and Wini came in. “That outfit simply will not do,” said Winifred. “Off with it.” He had little choice either because the men were already stripping him.

From thin air he saw that his wardrobe was being filled with clothes from every color of the rainbow although greens, reds and browns dominated. They would set off his coloration superbly. “Wini, how is this possible?”

“When the prince says toad we jump. When he says cry we mourn.” She smiled and patted his cheek, somehow not getting in the way of the butlers and coming away without a single bump or nudge. “When he says you've done something so nice for our Lexi, and asks us to give you something in return, we go to the limits.”

“You mean Lexi did not order this done?” For a moment he saw scorpions in his boot would be an effective way to remove him. Frederick could do it too. But then he remembered that Lexi told only one person everything. “Trav did this?”

“It is his way of saying thank you. Very few people realize that Lexi does many good deeds on impulse and then forgets he did them because that is just part of who he is. He expects nothing and will accept nothing but gratitude in return.” She whisked to the other side of the room where an outfit was being laid out for the evening. “We all know how your feel about him saving you. That kind of debt cannot be repaid with coin, which you have none anyway.” She was eying two different doublets of the same color but vastly different cuts. “What you did and the way you did it...well, it was right. It may be the bard in you, but bringing up the good he has done has kept a smile on his face all afternoon.”

“I'm glad I could help. He's a good man and someone should tell him that every now and then so poison like someone's comments do not fester.”

“We try, but he's known most of us his entire life and expects us to say things like that.” She came over with the softest velvet breeches he had ever felt in black and stitched with crimson red embroidery. He pulled them on hastily and then paused because the sensory overload caught him by surprise. Nothing had ever felt this good. The breeches were loose on him but he had some filling out to do so they should fit later. “Yet you, a stranger really, made it a point to find out what kind of man our Lexi is and then tell him how ninety percent of the Kingdom sees him. Be it diplomacy, a bard's inclination to make others feel better for having been in the room with them or because you knew he needed to hear it, all of us thank you.”

“It was all of the above and you're pretty good at it yourself Wini.” She gave him a smile that said she had been stunning beauty in her day. “If I have any say in the doublet I want the one with the high neck and studded with the garnets down the breast.” He could not believe he had just said that. Garnets down the breast? On him?

“An excellent choice and the one I was going to put on you anyway.” Her tone said he had had no choice but since he agreed with her he can have it his way.

Then came the biggest surprise of all. From out of nowhere a lute had appeared on the bed. Not that he just had not noticed it. He had been looking at the bed when it quite suddenly appeared in a puff of thin mist. “Um...Wini?”

She looked at it. “Oh good, it has arrived. Tune it quickly, you're pretty much dressed except for the boots and the cape.” He sat on the bed and looked at the leather wrapped case as if it would vanish if he touched it. He opened its case and gaped. The lute he had played earlier today had been simple yet elegant. This was by far the most ornate instrument he had seen in his life. The head of the lute was a Robin in flight. The neck was the tail of the Robin made much longer and the fret board was done with a feather texture The body was traditional, one should never monkey with what worked, but the wood of the face had been dyed to mimic the hues and color of a Robin in its nest with two eggs. It was a work of art.

“Is this for me?”

“Yes dear. Gawk later, tune now.” He strummed the string to see how badly it was out of tune. He winced at the tones. Every string was out of tune and so discordant that Robin wanted to cringe. With deft skill he had her tuned and fit to play and when he strummed a chord the notes resonated in the room and filled it with sonic beauty. All activity halted and they all gazed in wonder at the purity of tone. “Master Trav has outdone himself on this one.”

Robin played an impromptu melody, one with no emotional backing, just to hear her voice. She, because all lutes are female, had a sultry and mellow voice that rolled over you rather than cut, a deep oscillation that thrummed with the heart beat and lost nothing even in a room as large as this bed chamber. The servants realized they were being given the first concert on this lute, but they did not realize it then. They could not. They were too caught up in the sound. Even without any sort of emotion or words he was mesmerizing. One was literally compelled to listen. To watch even, he was that charismatic at that moment. When he drew to a close the servants broke into applause. “I thank you. For the applause, for the pampering, for treating me like I deserved to be in this wondrous palace.” He was trying not to tear up. His life had gone from starving in the street to royal guest over night.

Robin finished getting dressed and looked in the full length mirror. Who is that, he asked himself. He'd seen his reflection a few times, but never in a mirror this large or clear. He had to admit he looked every bit the bard in these clothes, but underneath it all was still Robin, an escapee from Rendol who barely made enough to scrape by because he was too scared to use the gift he had to make a living, too scared because he could, and had, hurt someone with that gift because he was not careful. He was less than he was and more than he seemed.

A knock on his door seemed to be a magical thing because the servants other than Wini the Head of House all but disappeared. “Come in,” Robin said more assertively than he felt. Wini nodded.

Parker poked his head in and stared. “Prince Alexander says to exit from his room, Robin, he is ready.”

“Thanks, Parker. Does the costume look good?”

“If you are looking to stand out in the hall, no. Were you to be anywhere but there I would say you were over dressed.” Honesty. He knew he would get it from his valet.

“That's the point, Parker. A bard should be able to disappear in to the company he keeps else no one would ever say a word. It is the same as the servant caste.” The boy nodded seriously. “Will you be attending me this evening?” He shook his head. Wini looked at him and shook her head minutely. This was too important to bring him, the shake said. “Then you see that big bed over there? I want to find you there when I get back. I will be very late and I will not be using it for the next few hours.”

“But, I'm not allowed.”

“Did the King tell you that himself?” The boy shook his head. “Then it is my call. You may be assigned to help me with any task, but I'm very independent. So you'll find you have a lot of free time. If I'm not around and I've left no requests with you, because that is what they are as I'm no lord or baron, and you are tired or hungry or bored, then sleep or eat or go play outside in the courtyard. Wini, do you witness my wishes.” She curtsied to him with a smile on her lips. “Good. Then I must go. I'll try to sneak you back something from the dessert tray.” He went to the secret passage and was gone.

Parker looked at Winifred in confusion. “Just do as he says, little one. Robin is a good boy and he expects nothing from anyone just because you are a servant. Do you like working for him so far?” He nodded emphatically. “Good. That is his goal. To make your job easier so his life will be.”

“Like Prince Alexander, right?”

“Exactly. Those two are more alike than they know.” Wini was a great judge of character and a person most underestimated. She knew what even Robin did not about him and approved of it. He was the perfect friend for the prince and he for the bard. Now it was up to her to keep them friends.

Robin slipped into the room and eased the portrait closed. He knew that Lexi had not seen him in the mirror yet, but Robin got a good look at the prince. When they had met just that morning Robin knew he was of the noble caste, but low on the pole. He wore simple clothes in make and coloration and he had talked to him as if he mattered, like someone who knew what it was like to be a lower caste member. Perhaps a merchant's son or a knight's Squire, but someone who was nothing really special in the eyes of the nobles.

Looking at his back, which was broad for his height and was accentuated in the form fit royal blue vest over the silvery silk, he looked every inch the prince he was. Robin could not tell where the man he had talked to was behind this facade, because he knew that this was not the real person. This was Alexander, not Lexi, and it was a mask made of necessity. He was dashing, handsome and proper, the perfect son any King could want...in public. Robin knew that the King knew his son was other than he acted in public, there was no way he could not know, but the king also loved his youngest son, the only child he and his late wife ever had, and overlooked Lexi's peculiarities. Or adored them.

Yet under all the pomp was a very rare person, a gem among granite that Robin hoped to call friend one day. He moved slowly so as to not draw attention to himself and went to lounge in one of the chairs so he could see his face. There was a guardedness in his eyes, a wall that forbid anything other than polite conversation. His brows seemed to be riding lower and an almost frown was lingering about his lips. Something tonight had him a bad mood and the Bard knew it had to do with him. “Why the long face, Lexi?” He tried to keep his voice light but concerned.

The prince jumped about ten feet in the air and landed facing him. “Gods above, Robin, I'm putting a bell around you neck and...wow.” Whatever he had planned to say fell off as he got a good look at him. Robin stood and bowed gracefully with a brandish of his cape.

“I do doubt it would go with the costume, Lexi.” He was trying not to laugh at the sheer disbelief he saw in the man's blue eyes. “I take it by your stunned silence that I either look presentable or so bad that I shall never show my face in public again.” Why was Lexi so shocked to see him like this?

“I hate you,” he said but there was no heat to it. “No one will even look at me with you in the room and I never go to any of the formal banquets unless it is something important. Gods above you will charm every lady married or otherwise.” He looked at his perfectly shined boots and shook his head. “I don't hate you, you know. It's just...”

“That I seem to fit into court better than you?” After a moment's pause he nodded. “I am a mime lizard, Lexi. I have to blend in.” He strode over and placed a hand gently on his shoulder. Lexi swallowed hard. “In my profession if I cannot play the part I do not eat, I have no place to lay my head or clothes on my back. You play your part out of love and loyalty to your Father, a much more admirable reason. I do it I because I have to.” He turned towards the windows and took a few quick strides before halting. “I'm scared, Lexi. One wrong word or gesture and I could be killed.”

“What? If Frederick has threatened you...” The shift was extreme but expected with what he knew of Lexi.

“No, I have not seen him since the meeting, but I was more worried about the King. Guest or not I'm in over my head. I have never, even in my wildest fantasies thought I would ever play for the King of any country. If I say one wrong word about a subject I did not know was taboo I could end up dead. You?” He chuckled mirthlessly. “You were born into this part. My father is a shoemaker who showed talent for music and taught it to his son. I've tried to be a bard and I'm good at it. I'm only sixteen and my master has only been dead eight months.” He looked back over his shoulder to blatant concern written all over Lexi's face. “So don't think I'm going to fit in easily. Like a square peg in a round hole you can force it to fit but both the hole and peg will be worse for it.”

“So sayest one square peg to another.” Lexi covered the distance. “If you get into a conversation with someone you should not and they start to look other than polite find me or Trav. Even Ethan. He rarely uses the knowledge but there is no one as politically knowledgeable than my priestly brother. Not even Father. Any of us and I tentatively add Nathan to that list, will pull you out. Nathan is...well...he's a good soldier and a good second son, but he's no diplomat or sweet talker.” Robin nodded. “I would stay by you, but if I know Father he has invited every eligible woman and I am honor bound to dance with at least three.”

“Poor princeling! Has to dance with lovely ladies all night. Such a tortured soul.” Lexi only shook his head. “If I get into trouble I'll find Wini.”

“Why her? I completely agree, but I want to hear your reason. On the way though. We're already late.” The two left the room and slipped into their roles for the evening. While Robin could glide while he walked, Lexi was grace incarnate. He could affect that his feet never touched the ground.

“She's far more than what she seems. I would never want her mad at me or thinking I was a threat.”

“Very observant. Few know she is one of Father's closest advisers and, take this to your grave, Robin.” He nodded. A Bard's word was inviolate, their witnessing any act was always taken for truth. If a Bard said it happened it did. “She's my grandmother. My mother's mother. She taught me how to track, use a bow, sword, dagger, war ax and my hands.” Robin was very much impressed with a woman who had at least fifty years on her. He had seen an elderly woman wield a quarterstaff against four of Rendol's armed soldier and win without a scratch. It was bad to ever think a woman weak because she had nothing dangling between her legs.

They went down a hallway that Robin had not been in yet. He could guess it led to the front of the castle so they would enter from the main doors where everyone would see them. Lexi had to show himself well and his guest must be there. No one would doubt that Robin was the young prince's guest and they would treat him with respect. No one else was in the hallway except the caller. “Please announce us formally, Augustus.”

“Yes Your Highness.” The man stepped into the room and the trumpets played a fanfare. “His royal majesty Prince Alexander de Aren, Son of His Royal Majesty King Horatio the Fifth, lord of the province of Trea and Last scion of the house of Miller, and his guest the Journeyman Bard Robin of Rendol, Apprenticed to the late Master Bard Meadowlark.” Robin hid a wince. There was nothing to his title, but it sounded appropriate for the occasion.

The floor parted into receiving lines on each side of the hall. Lexi waited until no one was there to impede his forward progress and then walked stately down the twelve broad steps to the floor. People murmured greetings which he returned, some with far more feeling than others, but most people were staring at the guest. He could easily read their faces. Who was this boy? Who was he to rate coming to this party when he had no noble title to claim even in his own country? He should not be here a few face said. Every face held remarks about the few cuts and the bruise on his cheek. Robin ignored them all, his eyes solely on the King. When the duo had crossed the mile long floor they stopped. Lexi gave a bow to his father, a fraction deeper than was necessary, and Robin went to one knee with his lute in one hand. Had it been a sword he would have been any armsman granted audience with the king, but for a bard his lute was his weapon. He was offering the King his respect and “weapon” for the duration of his stay. “Welcome to the both of you. Son, you look well after such a sleepless time.”

“One becomes accustomed to restless nights when they sleep out of doors. My brother Nathan would agree.” He inclined his head to the soldier who nodded back.

“And Bard Robin, you look far better than our earlier meeting.”

“Your Majesty, with hospitality and accommodations as good as yours I am ready to repay you.” He rose and strummed the lute. The king raised his glass. “Majesty, guests one and all,” he said in a singsong voice, bring his gift to bear and thinking happiness and peace, “I hope my warbling brings you joy and leaves you in a better mood.” He started into a popular dance tune that was also one of the King's favorites. The king acknowledged it with another raise of his glass. He caught the narrowing of Raven's eyes and almost faltered in his playing. Why does he hate me? I've done nothing to him. The worst of it was the same hatred was directed to Lexi from the Crown Prince. He turned and watched as people began to pair up for the dance. His glance at the High Table where all the King's retinue sat found Trav looking decidedly out of place. “I thank you for the lute, Your Highness. She's far better than anything I could ever afford.”

“I'm happy to help.” Robin sat on the three steps that led up to the table letting every one know he was here to entertain the King. It also put his back to the malicious glare of the Bard and let him keep his eyes on the crowd, measuring their mood on what to play. He knew what the King liked and could choose from them. If it seemed to any of them that he played only the King's favorites they did not know Bards very well. Any bard would find that knowledge quickly.

When that song ended the audience applauded loudly. “Well played, Bard Robin,” said the king and gestured to his place beside Lexi at the table. “You must be famished.”

“I do admit to a bit of hunger, Your Majesty.” He sat and kept his body angled so the king always was in his line of sight. Lexi gave him an approving nod.

“That was a rather interesting interpretation of Milamber's Waltz, young Robin,” said the master bard from the other side of the king. He stressed the word young ever so slightly, alluding to the fact that he was not even a legal man yet. “Rather a tricky bit of plucking.”

“Oh, I like challenges and what is the use of playing everything exactly the same way as the original? A good musician will improvise to suit the audience without detracting from the song.” He used his peripheral vision to see what course the king was on. Salad. He speared the lettuce with his fork and let the Bard know with his eyes that he would not be pushed too far.

“A good point, lad. Have you any original pieces? I understand that to make full bard you need at least one original song.” King Horatio was not ignorant of the animosity that had sprung up at the table between the two men and this was a way to let Raven know to behave and Robin that he should not antagonize someone who was his superior in rank if not skill.

“I have a work in progress that I may submit, but the rest is the simple pluckings of a student.” He had several he had written but none of them were fit for this gathering.

“Indulge me. Let me hear one of these so called pluckings.”

“Your wish is my command.” He scooted the chair back and picked up his lute. He did not get up, a sign that this song was for the King's ears only. The melody started out a slow and methodical waltz tempo, no real embellishment, but his gift added the real feelings. The pride of working at the same thing day after day, knowing that your work was needed and appreciated by those who bought your wares. His eyes were closed, lost in the memories of growing up a cobbler's son and helping his Pa with the leather vats, the simple pleasure of watching a boot come from plain leather.

The picking changed to one of excitement and it was fed through the music. He went into simple but edgy arpeggios that gave the sense of travel up and down hills, the tempo increasing as the excitement built. The entire table was leaning closer as the pace went faster and faster, leading them to some grand conclusion that would leave them breathless. His fingers were a blur and the clarity of the song when they expected to hear mush was stunning and left even Nathan gaping. Yet when the climax seemed to be coming he hit a sour chord that made them recoil. They thought he had made a mistake, but the same sour chord was held and the slow music that came after was full of loss and despair, a saddening funeral dirge that had Father Ethan muttering prayers for lost and departed souls. When he strummed his last chord and looked up they saw his eyes were shiny and moist. “Lad, what was that?”

“The story of my life, Your Majesty, up to the point my master died.” Lexi wanted to offer words of comfort, but this was not the time or place. Master Meadowlark had obviously meant a lot to Robin. Like another father to him.

“Very moving,” said Raven honestly, but his voice was cold. He cared nothing for the song or the player, but he was obligated to comment. Lexi's head turned slowly and the look he gave the Bard told him if he took one more step in the direction he was going he would be in very big trouble. “It has merit, but I do not recommend using that for your masters.”

“I was never planning on it and thank you for the advice.” Everyone there noted they were being as civil they would likely ever be. Robin finished the next three courses in silence although when the King would turn his way he would pay very close attention and answer as if he had been waiting for the moment all night.

Then something happened that tested the very fiber of his being. “Raven, do you think you and Robin could sing Alaster's Lament for us? I know it is not really the time for it, but with two obviously gifted singers I would love to hear it.” There was a slight edge to his voice. The King was challenging the Bard's loyalty and even Nathan caught it.

“If that is your wish, we shall do our best, won't we Journeyman?” His words dripped acid. Lexi wanted to ask his father for a reprieve because this could turn out bad.

Robin smiled tightly. “Of course, Master Bard.” They got up and went aside to discuss it. “Okay Raven. I hate you, you hate me, but your liege and my host wants this.”

“I am aware of it, you ingrate. You dabble in things you cannot understand and you do it so clumsily I could hold you up as an example of how not to do it.” They glared at each other for a moment. “Since you've the deeper voice you take the part of Alaster.”

“You take it. The King must think us willing to do this when I would rather gut you with the dinner fork...”

“And I would love to hang you with your own lute strings, but you are right. Can you reach the notes?”

“Drop it a step and yes. Besides, Yuri's part is more suited to me anyway.” Raven digested that insult but let it slide.

After a few minutes of rehearsal they glided to the front of the table and all conversation stopped. Raven stepped forward as a page brought him his harp. As Alaster he had the first verse and as soon as the first note came out Robin was shocked. Their small rehearsal had not prepared him for the power Raven had. It was more than sheer volume. His presence filled the room and the anger he felt towards Robin was laid bare but done in the guise of the song. He sang as he played his harp and Robin accompanied him softly on his lute providing the other with a firm foundation on which he could shine. Raven played them all masterfully and at the end of his verse many people were angry.

Robin stood and began a heavily improvised lute solo with Raven's support on the harp. The way he plucked the strings and every fiber of his being conveyed he loathed “Alaster”. He could not control his gift as it swept the entire hall into a rage, yet it was a hatred for a fictional character and not able to be acted upon. When he sang and played Lexi put his hands over his ears to lessen the effects of the raw physical phenomenon of his gift. Even then, knowing who Alaster really was he wanted to kill. To slide home the knife into Raven's belly and twist it for good measure. Then Raven stood and they began to sing together.

That was a huge mistake. To perform this piece correctly the singers had to face one another. The wrath that was communicated emotionally was made manifest. Shimmering waves of energy crashed together as both bards strove to be the better singer, their competition now very evident. The waves clashed and veritable storm clouds formed between and above them send out flashes of black and red light and accenting the piece with thunderous booms. They were oblivious to the gasps of fear and screams from more than one lady. Their only thoughts were of each other and how they hated the other. Then the energy discharges struck the floor of the castle and shook it violently enough for people at think it a quake. The crescendo had the power almost in Robin's lap as the piece ended and both Bards staggered to catch their balance. Robin was caught by Lexi as he leaped over the table to catch him before he hit the ground. Raven was able to keep his balance by sheer force of will. Lexi looked into Robin's face and saw he was so drained, so pale, that he would need help to even stand.

Raven came over and offered his hand to the younger bard as the applause started loud enough to hurt the ears. Robin needed both to help him to his feet while his brow dripped sweat. During the noise Raven leaned in to say, “You are not strong enough to beat me, boy. Feel lucky I could not kill you in front of my king, but if you ever try your strength against mine again I will destroy you.” He said it all with a fake smile on his face and then went back to his seat with a flourishing bow.

Lexi saw the determination flare up and Robin gave a radiant smile, a cheerful bow, and went to stand before the King. “Majesty, I find myself fatigued. Have I your permission to retire for the evening?”

“Yes, lad. You did wonderfully. Rest easy.” With a bow he turned on heel, snagged his lute from where it lay and glided out of the room with many people saying their greetings and offering compliments on his performance. “Lexi, be sure he gets to his room safely.”

“Yes, Father, and thank you.” Lexi took one of the smaller doors and was in front of Robin as he rounded the corner and was out of line of sight. There he collapsed. Lexi scooped him up before his head hit the floor and Wini came running up to help. “Gods above what happened in there?” he asked her. She was possessed of a small mage gift and could tell him more than he knew.

“Your guess is as good as mine, Lexi. Lets get him to bed. And you as well.” She picked up the lute and they went to Robin's room. It was in the wee hours of the morning and Parker was asleep. Not in the bed as Robin had said but on a pallet by the dying fire. He did not stir as Wini and Lexi stripped the unconscious bard to his small clothes and tucked him in. “Your turn. No buts, Lexi, you've had a rough day.”

“Yes Grandmother.” He gave her a kiss on the cheek and caressed Robin's cheek gently. The smile he had on his face was pure puppy love and Wini knew it. As soon as the secret passage was closed Wini sagged into a chair, exhausted. It had taken every ounce of her strength and will to keep Raven from killing Robin with whatever that magic was. She knew that Raven was possessed of magic, but she never knew he was so strong. Not even Travis was as strong and he was the strongest wizard currently living in the kingdom, one of the strongest in recent history. With the back of her hand she wiped away the blood she could feel dripping from her nose.

* * *

Morning woke Robin and he had the worst headache ever. Even worse than the one he had when Master Meadow Lark forced him to drink beer until he vomited. “Robin, my son, this is why a bard never allows himself to get drunk. You must appear to drink and act like you're drunk. Then they will say something they know you will forget in the morning or they can try slit your throat thinking you're too inebriated, that you're an easy target.” Since Robin had not had more than a total of two beers in three years.

This was worse. It pounded in his entire skull, behind his eyes, thundered in his ears and echoed deep in his chest. At first he wondered why he would feel so bad, he had one sip of the watered wine at supper. He remembered vividly the battle he had with the Bard and what he said afterward. There were no visible weapons to their battle, no swords or daggers, yet he felt as if he had been cut somewhere deep inside. It ached like a severed tendon only in his chest. Somehow they had warred. Robin had turned his anger on Raven and the bard had met him pound for pound but the master bard was stronger than Robin by a good measure. He had not been able to hold his ground but thankfully the song had ended before whatever plan Raven had for him could take effect.

He wondered how he got here, but it did not take a elder sage to guess Lexi was involved directly. Robin had felt very safe when Lexi caught him, like somehow the world's problem had been lifted from his shoulders and he could finally relax. It was both a blessing and frightening. It scared him to think he had put that much trust in a person he had met only a day ago, but it was there. He trusted Lexi so deeply that he would give over a sword to him and attack him, knowing that Lexi would do nothing to harm him. Humiliate him with the flat of the blade, yes, but not hurt him. He groaned as he sat up. He eyes seemed to flick towards two inconsistencies in his room. One he smiled at fondly. The little imp had not used the bed to fall asleep, but then Robin had not expected him to. He swung his legs over the edge of the bed and stood slowly to make sure he would not fall on his face. He seemed steady enough so he made his way over to the banked fire and softly lifted Parker and laid him in the bed. He tilted his head to the side and smiled. He was a good kid, a credit to whoever raised him.

That done he turned to the other inconsistency in his room. She currently occupied his chair, still dressed in the same ball gown she must have worn last night. Why was she here? Was she here to make sure no one bothered him? If so it was an odd duty to give to a lady of her obvious quality. He gently woke her. Her eyes fluttered open. They were lovely. She was lovely, but what was she doing here? “Oh! Good morning Bard Robin.”

“And to you, m'Lady. May I ask your name?” He helped her to her feet and she gazed up into his eyes with a look he knew all too well. Uh oh...

“I am the Lady Merry of the province of Highland. You sang so beautifully last night.” She had the same love sick look in her eye he had seen...inspired...in many women. At least this one was close to his age and not old enough to be his grandmother. She took his hand and he wanted to laugh and scream at her at the same time.

“I thank you, Lady Merry. What, pray tell, are you doing in my guestroom?” he asked. He knew very well what she was doing here. What she stood to gain from the scandal that would rise from it he could not know, but Wini would and he would find her later. Before she could answer he smiled and escorted her to the doors. “You should go, m'Lady. The scandal of it all.”

“I care nothing for scandal.” To coin a phrase, Gods above!

“You are a very lovely lady but I am so far beneath your station that I would be beheaded for simply touching your august self.” She ate up every word but he could not take the other route with a girl. Had she been a woman grown he would have tossed her out bodily. He extracted one hand and opened the door. He escorted her out after checking the hallway first.

“But Bard Robin...”

“Good day to you, m'Lady.” He freed the other hand and shut the door firmly in his face. He turned to go get dressed and saw Lexi there with an expression of betrayal on his face. “Lexi...”

“Had a good night, did you?” He was whispering but it was a loud whisper. “Did you fake passing out to get a woman into your room?”

“Lexi, I...”

“I know the habits of bards. Cluttering up the land with their gits.” He seemed to be over reacting. Over nothing. “Well, Robin, I hope your night was better than mine. I did not sleep a wink with worry. Wini and I had to carry you to your room from the hallway, but that was obviously all just an act. Robin, the consummate actor. Well, Master Robin, I will not bother you again.” He turned and strode through the passage and slammed it shut.

Robin ran over to explain, but the passage was locked from the other side somehow. What just happened? He had done the chivalrous thing and not bedded the Lady even though she was lovely, willing, and he was not a prude. This day was starting out to be bad after a night that had been almost lethal. A soft knock came on the door and he sighed. He opened it to see Trav there. “Was that the Lady Merry I saw coming out of the wing?” His question was polite, his tone diplomatic, his eyes murderous.

“Yes, it was.” No sense lying about it.

“May I ask what she was doing in your room?” He stepped into the room and shut the door. As soon as he did the tension became palpable. What had happened? Did he enter some sort of alternate reality?

“Leaving. I woke to find her in the chair and asked the same question you just did but I did not wait for an answer before I led her out and almost slammed the door in her face. Did Alexander put you up to this? Because he seems mad at me.”

“Perhaps it is because you almost died last night and the both of us were awake all night. He has not slept for two days and you expect him to be civil when he finds a woman in your room.”

“Listen Trav, I did not bed her. How could I with Parker in the bed?” He gestured to the boy in the bed.

“You were in it until a few moments ago, I've no doubt. I believe it is time for you to leave, Master Robin.”

“What is it with the two of you? If you do not believe me then I will leave. What do I need to do, confess to Father Ethan?”

“Actually, that's not a bad idea.” He began a chant that ended with a ball of light whisking from the room. “We shall see how honest you have been with me.” Robin threw up his hands and went to stoke the fire. He had somehow woken up in some sort of alternate reality... or maybe just woke up from his dream.

Ethan was there in moments and entered without knocking. “Travis, I am very surprised to see you outside of your books.”

“You will somewhat understand when this is over. This man needs to confess.”

Ethan looked puzzled for a moment. “Very well. Robin, do you consent to witness?” In other words did he want Travis there.

“I do Father.” He went and sat in the chair that seemed to start all of this.

“Do you consent to magical assistance?” A truth spell. Not bad, but not good because under its influences he was incapable of lying and found it hard to not answer at all. They could ask anything they wanted and would have to answer truthfully.

“Yes.” This shocked Trav. He had been so sure the bard would not consent to the spell.

It took only a moment to cast the spell for Ethan. He saw the telltale signs of its effect in the slight unfocus to Robin's eyes and the slump of his posture. Trav started the questions first. “Did you have carnal relations with Lady Merry?” Ethan was appalled at the question but it made sense now. All of it did. Travis was to be married to the young maid when she came of age in a few months.

“No.” Trav looked suddenly very upset...and very guilty.

“Did you know she was in your room until you woke?”

“No.”

“Did you falsify your condition of unconsciousness last night?”

“No.” Trav was really feeling horrible now. Robin had been one hundred percent innocent in this. Gods above both he and Lexi had pegged this bard all wrong. They had blamed him for past wrongs.

Ethan looked at Travis with a nod. “He is not lying, my brother. Your fears were unfounded, but you may ask Father to rethink the proposed marriage to the Lady if her heart is so fickle.” Travis nodded. This would have to be handled delicately. “Robin, did you do anything you regret with the Lady?”

“Yes.”

“Explain,” commanded Travis in a strangled voice.

“I did not throw her out on her butt.” The laughter in Ethan's eyes was not only for Robin's answer but Travis's reaction to it. The wizard was trying not not throttle Robin and not laugh at the same time. “And I did not sleep with her. As pretty as she was, the scandal would hurt too many people and I did not want to hurt Lexi most of all.” The smiles fell off their faces.

“You had been tempted?” asked Trav. He knew she was a beautiful young lady and Robin was only human, but he had to ask. He had to know.

“Yes.” But he had not done it. It was strange that he seemed to know that him sleeping with Lady Merry would have hurt Lexi.

“Why do you worry about Lexi's feeling?” asked Ethan, suddenly curious. He had noticed that his half brother's eyes were never long off the bard and he knew about the scandal with Corbin. Not all the details but enough to make some very educated guesses about Lexi's preferences. It was not his place to betray the confessions of anyone and especially the royal family. Lexi's choice did not harm the family in anyway. There were still three men in the family, four if Ethan ever needed to be released from his vow of chastity, who could produce heirs to the throne.

“He saved my life. He is one of the nicest people in both kingdoms I've been in. I trust him with my life and I hope that one day he does the same. I would like to call him friend.” He seemed to be done and Travis was about to say the spell could be lifted when Robin said, “I know he likes me.”

“How do you know?” Ethan was treating this as clinical as possible, but if Lexi had told the man and then he had gave the impression he had bedded the girl, it would destroy Alexander.

“I'm not blind to the effects I have on people. My gift is potent and I am not ugly.” He paused as his mind tried to organize what he knew. “I can tell by the way he looks at me, how he acts around me.”

“How does he act?” asked Ethan. He may need to pull Lexi aside and tell him to keep a better rein on his actions. Frederick would have a field day if Lexi's preferences were known.

“He seems to find looking at me both nice and frightening. He wants to hide it but he stared when he saw me in Prince Frederick's castoffs, like he had never seen anyone so handsome before. His eyes light up, he swallows hard if we make contact.” Travis was in need of something to hold onto. Robin knew that the prince liked him and it did not change anything. The bard still liked and trusted him it seemed. Gods above Lexi had a true friend here and he had so few of those. “And I can feel it. Inside.”

“Describe this feeling.”

He opened his mouth and then shook his head. He tried again, but nothing could come out. He could not tell the truth because he did not know it. He could not describe the feeling because he had never felt its like. “Do you care about him?” Travis had to ask.

“More than I've ever cared about anyone except Master Meadowlark.” Ethan pulled the wizard aside.

“Do you know what this means?”

“I have an idea, but I hope I am right and wrong.” Ethan nodded his understanding of his brother's dilemma. It was a sticky situation. “Should I tell Lexi?”

“No. Let him know that his fears and assumptions are wrong, but reveal nothing of Robin's feelings. Well, maybe the trust part.” Travis nodded and the went back over to end the spell.

When Robin came out of the trance he looked up at Trav. “Do you believe me now?” He sounded exasperated and offended. They did not blame him and would not blame him if he left anyway. He was mostly healed, well provisioned and could make his way in life without having to look over his shoulder for Chasers.

“I must give you my apologies, Robin. Lexi and I have made a horrible error and I hope you can forgive us.” His tone was grave and serious. If the bard did leave he did not know what Lexi would do especially once he found out how wrong they had been. He would be a wreck.

But Robin surprised him. “Of course. It was a simple misunderstanding when all of the parties were not thinking clearly. If you are given life's lemons, make a life with lemonade.” He stood and stretched a few kinks out of his body. “I thank you for your help, Father Ethan. Especially so early in the morning after such a night.”

“Think nothing of it, my son. Any time I can be of assistance I am glad to help. I am to break my fast. A good morning to you both.” Ethan left with a bow and closed the door behind him. The silence that descended filled the room and Travis was feeling so very bad for how he treated the young man.

Sensing that he would be the one to end the silence Robin said, “Breakfast sounds good. I'll snag something from the kitchens for the four of us, and if Lexi feels like coming, he can.”

“Four?” Robin motioned to Parker. “Ah. I have sorely misjudged you, Robin, and I hope we can start on a fresh page.”

“Definitely. Our 'getting to know you' phase is still new, so I fully expect blunders.” He grinned. “I'm just glad it was not me who drew first blood.” He offered his hand, not really expecting the reclusive prince to take it, but he did and with a firm grip, showing he was honest about the extension of friendship. “Go get sleeping moody and I'll sing for our breakfast.” Robin left the room quietly.

Trav could see part of why his brother was so besotted with him. He treated princes and servants exactly the same. He only played favorites with anyone in his circle of friends, everyone else came last. He was definitely charismatic and as much as he felt jealous, he could see why Merry had been smitten. There was a knot to work on later, so Trav went five doors down and walked in without knocking. Lexi was nowhere in sight, which meant he was one of two places. One would be too hard to do in the morning because of the changing of the guard, a prince should not go gallivanting on the roof even if it is Lexi, so that left one place he would go to be alone. With a sigh he went to the wardrobe.

Robin had indeed caused a scandal that morning but not with Lady Merry. He had sneaked into the kitchen in plain sight and started to fill up an empty tray with bread, eggs, ham steaks, fruit and simple glasses for milk. “And what is going on here?” He winced as if caught in the act of stealing and turned on his best smile.

He rounded and turned every bit of charisma on the head cook. She was at least sixty and as wide as she was tall. “I'm getting breakfast.”

“All that? Master Robin you could have sent Melina's boy.”

“Could, but he was asleep and I did not want to wake him for something I could easily get myself...Well, almost easily 'cause you caught me.” She was not fooled by the act, but she had to admire the thoroughness of it. Also he had done the typical bard thing and had not asked a servant to do what he could do himself. “Plus Prince Alexander and Prince Travis are to eat in my chambers, so I have to take food for four.”

“Is that a fact? I can see Alexander doing it, but not Travis.”

“Then you can come with me and tell Travis hes not supposed to eat with me because you cannot see him doing it.” She rolled her eyes and shooed him away from the tray. “But breakfast...”

“Travis does not eat meat and Alexander no eggs.” Robin backed away with his hands up.

When she was done he scooped up the tray, smooched her on her plump cheek and almost made it to the door when she stopped him. “Yes?”

“You are the most ornery guest we have ever had.” He grinned and nodded. “Do you want help with that?” He shook his head. “I hope you stay. You will be good for this palace.” She shooed him away again and he left whistling a tune.

It was just one of those mornings where everything seemed to go wrong and the next wrong thing was as tall as him and wearing a scowl. “Good morning to you, Your Grace.”

“It would be better if your were either in the room we have kindly extended to you and out of my sight or gone from the castle completely.” Frederick's look was so hostile it was almost a slap to his face, but Robin was feeling fed up already with the crown prince and master bard.

“Most likely, that is true, Your Grace, but as I am on my way back to said room to eat I will soon be out of your sight. If you will excuse me,” he said with a bow and slipped by him before the prince could utter a word. Robin knew he was being insolent, but he did not think he could stay civil with someone he had done no wrong to. Even Raven's hatred was understandable as he was both jealous of his talent and looks and contemptuous of how he wielded his gift. As if there were a large amount of teachers. He pushed open his door to see a table and four chairs had magically appeared. Trav was opening the curtains to let in the sun while Lexi was making an intense study of how his feet affected the plush carpeting. “That's three.” He set down the tray and went over to the bed where Parker was still comatose. He sat and gently shook the boy who woke with a snort. “Morning, sleepy head. Breakfast is ready.”

Parker look confused until he realized he was in the bed and the sun was up. “I am so sorry, Master Robin. I have not even gotten your clothes laid out or...” He looked almost ready to cry.

Robin sat the boy up and put his arm around him. He was patting his back and whispering in his ear, “Hey, imp, no tears. I told you if I had a request I would ask, but I can get breakfast for myself. You looked like you still needed some sleep, so I let you. Besides,” he continued in a whisper that carried the entire room, “we dine with royalty this morning. You want to look like a big boy for them so they know that I'm not an ass who doesn't know how to act when guesting in someone else's home.” He caught the snort from Lexi and glanced at him out of the corner of his eye. Every fiber of his being looked so guilty and sorry that Robin knew he would never make the same mistake again. Parker dried his eyes and took a deep breath. “That's better. So, if you feel like you must do something today you can pick out my clothes. Something simple because I plan on doing some exploring of the castle and you need to tell me where I should not go.” The boy got up, splashed his face with water from the pitcher, and went to the wardrobe.

Robin went over and gestured for the princes to sit while he dished up the meal. “I am so very sorry, Robin,” said Lexi. He looked like a whipped dog begging to be pet.

“Let's see, no eggs for Lexi and no meat for Trav. Extra potatoes for Parker. For what, Lexi?” He dished up his own meal and sat.

“For how horribly I behaved this morning.”

“You did? Huh. It must have not been that bad since I no longer remember it.” He met the man's gaze and saw disbelief there. “Really. Besides, any wrongs that may have happened this morning were all because we are awake too early after such a late night.”

It was an acceptance of the apology without letting the act be dredged up. “Exactly. I must be so tired to think I did anything.” The watched as Parker set out a simple cream linen shirt, light green vest and black breeches with the same green color boots. “Good choice, Parker.”

“Thank you, Master Lexi.”

“And Trav, thank you for everything. I had nothing when I came here, and I only hoped to have a place for a night. I had not been told of the hospitality and graciousness of the royal family. Speaking of royalty I passed the Crown Prince in the halls. He recommend I either stay in the room for my health or get outside for the air.”

“Really?” Trav looked at Lexi in wonder. That did not sound like him at all.

“I'm paraphrasing and probably misremembering the exact words. Or perhaps adding to them.” That got a snort from everyone in the room including Parker.

“He has always been that type of person,” Trav said with as much decorum as he could muster, “to suggest such things to those he encounters.”

“You really should be a diplomat, Trav, that was impressive.” The three of the shared a chuckle as Parker snagged his plate. “You are going to join us right? I know I have yet to bathe, but I don't smell that bad.” The boy looked incredulous. Robin lifted an arm and sniffed, nodding that there was no smell. “Seriously. And if Lexi is too grumpy to allow it we shall eat over there and talk about how his hair is a mess this morning.” The horror in his eyes was too comical and the men all laughed, Travis shooting milk out of his nose. “Oh that's just great! Nose milk is not what I needed!” exclaimed Robin as he wiped the milk from his bare chest. It only made them all laugh harder.

“Really, Parker you should join us,” said Lexi when speaking was possible. He was having a difficult time not staring at Robin who was drying his chest with the shirt he wore last night.

“By the way, where do I do laundry?”

“That is one thing I know Wini will not let you get away with.”

“Oh, well, then I'll have to get used to it.” The boy came and sat down next to Robin who smiled at him. Breakfast was a strange affair because everything anyone did made them laugh. Alexander could not keep the hamsteak from falling off of his fork and landing in his lap which made them all laugh. Trav could not keep from dripping milk down his front. Robin could not stop from laughing and actually get more than one bite before something else was funny and he'd choke on his last bite. And Parker was the only one who had had more than four hours of sleep and he was laughing because it was funny to watch them being so silly.

Once they were done Robin stood and said, “Thanks for joining us, gentlemen, but Lexi you need to sleep and Trav, you need to sleep. We, on the other hand, are going to explore the castle and see the places I am not supposed to but can get away with just this once because I am a guest.” They said their good byes, Lexi pausing half way in the passage to look back at Robin as he helped Parker clear away the dishes. There was something endearing about him, something he could not put his finger on...something that made him feel such deep anguish when he thought Robin had slept with Merry. Whatever it was, he hoped Robin never found out, or if he did he would be understanding. So few people tolerated men like Lexi that he held no hopes for how Robin may act.

Copyright © 2014 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hey^^, i can´t understand why there are so few Reviews.

I love your Story so far and i hope there are much more chapters coming in the future.

The chapters are not too short thats good too.

You have my Blessing to continue :worship: .

Liebe Grüsse

Andi

Link to comment
On 05/09/2014 08:28 AM, Andi said:
Hey^^, i can´t understand why there are so few Reviews.

I love your Story so far and i hope there are much more chapters coming in the future.

The chapters are not too short thats good too.

You have my Blessing to continue :worship: .

Liebe Grüsse

Andi

Danke! I have two chapters queued for posting
Link to comment

So Lexi can jump to the wrong conclusion...but hopefully after that one, he will try to ascertain the facts first.

Now on to chapter 4!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..