Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 8,288 Words
  • 2,462 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Bard and the Prince - 9. Chapter 9

The turtler had not wanted to leave them when they dropped him off at the base of the falls. He had made a noise that sounded like he was going to choke on something and Robin did not need to see the almost begging face to know it did not want to be left alone. “Robin...?”

IF YOU THINK I AM GOING TO CARRY HIM TOO, Lexi's face dropped, THEN YOU KNOW ME ALL TOO WELL. I WOULD NOT LEAVE HIM BEHIND SINCE BOTH OF YOU WANT TO BE TOGETHER. Lexi's face lit up like a child receiving Yule gifts in midsummer. Robin gently tousled his hair with his webbed claw, along his cheek and tilted his head up so he could look into his eyes. He loved him so much that he would raise turtlers if that is what he asked.

“Do you know how much I love you? I mean do you really know? I know you can feel it, but it's not the same as knowing it.” He seemed so worried about Robin.

The dragon laid down so he could look eye level with him. He gathered his thoughts before he spoke so he could be sure that everything he knew was right. IF YOU FEEL THE WAY I DO, YOU WILL DO ANYTHING TO SAVE ME PAIN. YOU WOULD WILLINGLY TAKE THIS CURSE FULLY UPON YOURSELF SO I COULD BE WHAT I WAS MEANT TO BE. YOU WOULD DO ANYTHING TO MAKE ME HAPPY, TO SEE ME SMILE, TO WIPE AWAY ANY SORROWS I HAVE SO I WILL NOT REGRET ANY MOMENT WE SPENT TOGETHER. YOU WOULD GIVE UP THE LIFE YOU HAD LIVED JUST TO JOIN ME IN WHATEVER I WANTED. He could see Lexi was staring at him. GODS ABOVE YOU WOULD ADOPT A SILLY TURTLER IF I WANTED IT. That got a laugh from Lexi and it looked like the little beastie was smiling.

YOU WOULD TELL ME ANYTHING TO SAVE ME PAIN BUT YOU WOULD BE WARRING WITH YOURSELF BECAUSE I MAY NOT WANT TO HEAR THE TRUTH. YOU WOULD DIE FOR ME, YOU WOULD LIVE FOR ME. Robin closed his eyes because the next part would be one of the hardest he would admit. It was something he had always had a problem with. YOU WOULD GIVE ME A BLADE AND NEVER WORRY I WOULD HURT YOU, BUT IF YOU WANTED TO DIE, TRULY WANTED TO DIE, YOU WOULD HAND IT TO ME KNOWING I WOULD CARRY OUT YOUR WISHES BECAUSE IT WAS WHAT YOU REALLY WANTED.

Lexi looked at him like he was speaking a foreign language. “You would expect me to kill you?”

I WOULD DO IT FOR YOU. IF ALL OF THIS BECAME TOO UNBEARABLE AND YOU HAD NO OTHER WAY TO DEAL WITH IT I WOULD DO IT. TO SAVE YOU PAIN.

“What about your pain?”

Charrinda, I WOULD ENDURE ANY PAIN TO SAVE YOU THE SMALLEST AMOUNT. He had never loved anyone this much. Not even his Father, not Master Meadowlark. He had never trusted anyone enough to love them like this. The dragon looked away. IF YOU FEEL ANYWAY NEAR THIS, I KNOW. He stood and walked to the edge of the lake that was at the base of the falls and looked down at himself. He was a hideous monster who did not deserve the love of someone like Lexi. And it was not just the fact that he looked like a dragon. No, this beast came from inside, that was how the intrinsic nature spell worked. It brought out the inner beast. How he wished he had never met Lexi so he did not have to go through this curse as well.

“You can stop those self pitying thoughts right now. I will not stand by and let you beat yourself up over something that is far beyond the both of us.” He stormed over to where the dragon lay moping and smacked him on the shoulder. “I love you. I would never want to go through another day without you. Dragon or no, unicorn or no, I love you Cob.” Calling him by his birth name made Robin turn as quick as as striking serpent.

HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT NAME?

“The first day you were in the castle you told Parker and told him to keep it a secret. He did, but I have good hearing and was eavesdropping in the passage still.” Robin looked back to the water. “You think I care what caste you were born into? Who you father was? Your mother? I respect them more than I do ninety percent of every noble I know because they work for everything they own. Their wares are needed and from the way you look when you mention your Father says you have a lot of respect for him. He must be a good man, look how you turned out.” Lexi looked around the clearing the surrounded the small lake and stomped off. He came back with a single flower. It glistened in the moons' light a shimmering pale blue. “Have you ever seen anything like this?” Robin shook his head. “Would you say it is one of a kind?” He nodded, not really seeing where this was going. “This flower came from a plant, a common plant rooted in the dirt. There are hundreds of these just over there. It came from what we tread on. Yet look at it. Look at it Robin!” The dragon looked at it and closely. The pale blue seemed to shift to a light pink even when it was plucked from the plant. It shone still and Robin looked closer. Where the stem had been torn from the mother plant, where there should have been sap oozing from the wound, were roots. Lexi knelt and planted the flower by the water and almost immediately the lone blossom grew branches and became its own new plant. “Who cares where it came from. Look at it now. It has flowered into something amazing, something that defies the very nature of Nature.

“Just like you. From the caste mine treads upon you sprang up and you are so beautiful, so amazing, talented, loving...You are no monster, Robin. Any more than that flower is.” Lexi placed his hand on the immense shoulder briefly and then turned to go back to the turtler who had stayed out of the conversation completely. Lexi scooped it up and went off into the woods to leave Robin alone.

The prince had gone only a few feet into the tree line when he felt the brush of wings kiss his cheek. A pixie had settled on his shoulder and sat there brushing her long hair like he was a trusted steed. “You really are very nice for a human,” she said in an almost inaudibly high voice. It tinkled like bells or raindrops on a metal roof.

“I'm not. I'm just doing the best that I can not to hurt anyone.” She giggled.

“Don't you realize that is being nice? Such a simple thing to be too. The other human, he is troubled in his soul because he cares so deeply for you, far more than he has ever loved anyone else and he wonders how you can love a thief, liar, murderer, faithless son of a poor cobbler. I do not wonder for it has been ordained for you two to be together.”

“How do you know all this?” Lexi heard every word she said and his mind refused to think of Robin as any of those things. Lexi had killed, he had stolen, he had lied quite often and he was the emotionally scarred son of a very loving man who just happened to be king.

She giggled again. “Silly human. Your race can be so narrow minded. I know because I do. You, who have always been the beloved of Treena, cannot accept the fact that I know more about the both of you than either of you do. Let us not forget that you and your Charrinda are just that. Amora wanted you to love each other, so you do.” She put her brush away and stood to kiss his ear. A feeling of warmth spread through him, like the embrace of a mother. “Give the human a few more minutes and then go back to him.”

He was a beloved of Treena? The goddess of nature? Why would she cared for one human when she gave life to the elves and the fae? Humans were not of the forest any more than the fish were of the clouds. And what did the goddess of Love have to do with this? Okay, the Charrinda part would be all her doing, but why do it? Why were they so special? And how did this pixie know? He turned to look at her but she had vanished. Lexi looked around but knew she would not be seen unless she wanted to be. What had all that meant?

* * *

Robin slumped to the turf and toyed with the water idly. He was so confused by everything now. He loved Lexi. He loved that he loved him. That was the only thing that made the most sense but it made as much sense as that flower did. The message came through, but Robin could not believe it yet. He need only look in the water to know he was a monster. “Pull yer head outta yer arse afore I keep it there with me boot,” came a gruff voice from the lake. Robin looked up to see the flat face of some sort of water creature. His face was as flat as a board with no nose, eyes that were far too large for his head that bulged out like frog's and reflected back light like a cat, skin the color of deep water. He had hair that looked more like kelp than hair and sharp little teeth that he displayed as he smiled. Unless the creature was much bigger under the water he would be only a few feet tall. “I have always wanted to say that.” The voice now sounded light and swishy like a gentle surf.

AND WHAT MEAN YOU BY IT? Robin wondered what a nixie wanted with him. They were akin to both merfolk and elves with all the mischief of any fae. Harmless mostly, they often helped sailors close enough to shore that they could be rescued or swim in.

“That you need to stop being so down on yourself. You've made mistakes, some bad ones too,” the nixie said tactlessly, “but you have only been prepared for this moment.” He dipped back into the water to moisten his skin but came right back up.

YOU MEAN TO MEET AN OBNOXIOUS NIXIE? PARDON ME IF I SEEM FOUL, BUT IT IS VERY HARD TO BE ME RIGHT NOW. Robin was in a woe is me mood and was in no mood to deal with the likes of a nixie.

“Oh yes. Hard to have the love of one of the nicest people alive. Hard to be the chosen voice of Sonoh. Hard to have such loving family and friends. Hard to be a dragon for the nights and not hold your Charrinda. Okay, so that part is hard.” The nixie was getting on his nerves. “Hard being given magic you have only begun to learn. Hard to be given so much. Looks, talent, a keen mind, the ability to reach the top shelf.” Robin snorted despite himself. “A sense of humor, loyalty, love, dreams that he was given by...”

Enough, Nautle, you have said too much. The voice came from everywhere yet nowhere. It came as a sigh, a melodic whisper of words that filled Robin with a sense of wonder. He was not so atheistic to not believe in the possibility of gods. He knew all the tales about them, and in all of them said that Sonoh, the god of winds and music, spoke through the wind itself. And did they not also say that Nautle, the god of the seas, always came as a nixie when he chose to speak to anyone? He rubbed his eyes and looked again. Yes, my child, he is. As am I. Be gone, Nautle, lest you say too much more. I will speak to the minstrel as is my due.

“You always were kinda stuffy, Sonoh.” The nixie god slipped below the water with a final wave and he was gone. Robin watched to see if there was any sign of his being spelled or asleep, anything that may account for him conversing with gods.

Up and walk with me. Robin stood and was joined by an incorporeal yet visible swirls of wind in the shape of a man. He could not think clearly. Unless he was going crazy he was actually in the presence of a god, the god of music. Sonoh led him to a fallen log covered by gently glowing violet fungi. When he gestured Robin felt his body shiver with cold and he felt, in a detached sort of way, that he was changing back to human form. I cannot keep you like this for long, minstrel. An hour at most once I leave this form, yet we believe you need something to keep up your hopes. Robin felt his cheeks as he smiled. He had not been human at night for months and it felt so good, so much a miracle that he no longer doubted the gods. I must tell you that you and your Charrinda have been chosen to halt an act of pure evil. There is in this realm a wizard who is trying to bring a demon lord to this plane. Robin's grin fell away in horror. A demon lord? On this plane? No one could stop him once he got here. Precisely why you have to stop him before he gets here. Treena has enlisted the aid of the prince and I have chosen you. Your gifts, coupled with his, will be enough to bring down this wizard.

“It's the same one who cast this spell on us, isn't it?” Sonoh nodded. “And you can't tell us who it is because of some mystic block the demon lord is using, right?” It was always some mystic block. All the old tales said so.

You have a fine grasp of the old tales, child. They have been around for centuries for a reason. With your sonomagic and his magic you will be able to stop this wizard. He has played into our hands so far with this curse that has amplified your gifts. Dragon and unicorn united as one. They were enemies, dragons and unicorns, all the tales said so. The ultimate destroyer and the ultimate defender on the same side would be devastating.

“How long do we have?”

Until the alignment of the planets. Robin looked clueless. Ten years. Robin laughed. He was giddy that they had so much time to find one wizard. One wizard that had demonic help and could not be located by the gods. It suddenly did not seem like such a long time. The wizard can bring the demon lord here, into his own body, for the duration of the time until then. It could happen tomorrow or a week from now. Gods it seemed were not infallible, only very powerful, but when dealing with equally powerful demons they were almost useless. I want you to carry this with you always. From thin air Sonoh produced a leather bound book. It was unadorned white leather, small enough to fit into his pocket. Robin took it and he was surprised that it weighed so much for something that was only an inch thick. He opened it and looked at music. He knew this song. The next page he knew, and the next and the next...

“I know all of these. Or at least have heard them all.”

Such is the nature of the book. Any song you know or have heard will be in that book. Sonoh seemed to smile. Then your dream, and mine, will be realized. His dream. The music library was... a holy quest from a god! He could not help but laugh. Him! On a holy quest! I am glad you find humor in this. I must leave you. Too much has happened for me to stay earth bound for long. When the prince returns to you tell him what you will. Know that he will not leave you for anything so silly as a holy quest. If he had features he would have been smiling.

“I thank you. Really.” The wind seemed to nod and then blow away.

“Robin?” came Lexi's voice from where he had been. Robin clutched the book to his chest and ran back to him. Lexi spun when he heard something crashing through the brush to get to him and he screamed when he saw Robin. He saw him human and oh so beautiful. The bard put the book down next to them as he stood next to his beloved. The prince could not believe his eyes. With a trembling hand he reached up and touched his cheek. “Robin...” The taller man took him in his arms and pressed his lips to the others. There was no reticence, no holding back now. Robin knew what and who he wanted. Tears began to fall as they shared something they had only touched on those months ago. Lexi clung to him like he would lose this chance if he let go.

The turtler watched for a moment and then turned himself around to watch for any danger to them. If his features would have let him the beastie would have been smiling. In his mind, which was very sharp for his kind, he felt he had to be with them, to protect them. Perhaps as the pixie said this human was beloved of the goddess of the woods and had chosen this turtler to aid them. It was surely special for a mere animal to want to protect them for no reason other than it felt it had to.

Robin pulled away and unlaced Lexi's shirt to pull it over his head. “How is this possible?”

“Divine intervention. I'll explain it later, I do not know how long this will last.” He looked down at the prince's chest and slid his hand down from his neck to the muscles he had been wanting to feel but was too scared to touch as a dragon. Lexi's eyes fluttered closed and his breath caught in his throat. It felt so good to simply touch him, to feel the skin with his own. The smoothness mixed with a very light smattering of hair was so nice. Solid and soft at the same time. Robin led Lexi to the waters of the Crystal Falls and stepped in. Without waiting to be asked the prince removed the rest of his clothing and dove in, the waters rippling with every color of the rainbow. Robin was smiling as he saw Lexi surface a few feet away looking so in love that he felt his own heart would burst.

They met in a kiss there in the lake. Distant melodies could be heard from below, sweet songs of love and joy sung by a merfolk choir. The intricate songs were filled with highs and lows he would never had heard had he been fully human and he would have missed half of what was being sung, what was being sung for them. Robin was hoping he could stay like this, in his arms and in his kiss, for all eternity. Gods above, thank you for this hour! He was ready for the next step, but they did not feel it was the right time, not yet. They needed this moment as it was, perfectly chaste and perfectly in love. There would be time later, and if not, they at least had now, always and forever. Sweet, gentle kisses, soft caresses of flesh, the warmth of a loved one's arms.

Yet all to soon it ended. “You have not much time, humans,” came the voice of Nautle from the falls, “unless you want to kiss a dragon.” Lexi spun to see who said that and Robin laughed, gave him one last hug and kiss and swam to shore to shake dry. While he was shaking he changed and it took only a minute and was painless.

“Who was that?” Lexi asked as he came out of the water. Prismatic droplets clung to his skin and looked like jeweled studs all over his body, setting off a strange game of light and shadows amongst his muscles.

YOU MAY WANT TO SIT DOWN FOR THIS ONE. By the end of the tale Lexi was glad he was sitting. Gods! They had talked with gods! The falls truly was the place of the deities.

Lexi was wondering if he was not asleep and dreaming, but for the warmth that filled him from the past hour he knew it was no dream. “Holy quest, huh?” Robin chuckled as he helped Lexi dress for the flight back. “A paladin for the church of Sonoh would have to be a bard.” He was chuckling to himself. He stowed Robin's book in the saddle bags and they were airborne. They were cutting it a bit fine, but it would be enough time to at least get to the tunnels.

When they got back to the Lily there was no music, no laughter, no happiness in the place. It felt as bleak as a funeral. Lexi stayed below after the change and Robin went up the stairs and into the office where Tera was looking horrid. “What? What happened?”

“You're back. Good. Let's go see Lexi, he needs to hear this from me.” Robin did not like the sound of this. They went back down stairs and every person that they passed had tears in their eyes or they were red from crying. Parker was sitting on the steps when he saw them and ran to be held. Something bad must have happened and a chill crept up his spine. Robin hoisted him into his arms and patted his back while they continued. Once in the stables Tera did not spend any time gawking at Lexi. “Child, I would say sit down, but...” He nodded for her to get on with it. He could feel something was dreadfully wrong. The turtler was leaning against his leg as if he too knew there was no good coming from these words. “Lexi, I will say this quickly. Your father is dead.” Robin sagged against the wall even as Lexi blasted out his negation. It was not possible! “And so are Travis and Ethan. Killed the same way as Nathan.” The turtler pulled his head into his shell and shook. He seemed just as distraught as Lexi. “Frederick lies in his bed having tracked down your father's killer and killed him. He was wounded badly.” She did not really care about that, her tone said so, but Fred was now the King of Lycenia and some respect was due. Lexi trembled and Robin could feel him slip away. His mind retreated until there was no feeling of him in the unicorn's body. The animal broke down the fencing and galloped down the tunnel. He crashed twice into the walls, taking out good sized chunks of rock and even some flesh.

Robin would find him later, when he could actually catch him. Now he wanted to hear everything, every detail from everyone who had been there. “Parker, get our things packed and be ready to go back to the castle, please. We'll leave as soon as I can get Lexi talked around. I'll be asking questions to find out what I can.” He trudged up the stairs and was gone. “Is Frederick going to live?”

“Unfortunately yes. I would love to see Lexi on the throne for all the fact that he is so young, but the Crown prince will be King Frederick in a month after the mourning. As bad as it will be for the both of you I think you need to be at the castle. This wizard chase can wait.” She told him everything she could find out and it was probably what he would find out as well. It was well into the middle of the day when Robin had heard all the details and knew that this plot had been long in planning and executed to near perfection. They had not killed Fred or Lexi. Perhaps they were meaning for Robin to kill him as a dragon, which would have been neat and clean, except they could have not known he would become a dragon. No, his curse was not part of the plot. It just came at the wrong time, or the right if you look at it one way. They were out of the castle when it went to hell.

“Keep an ear open, please,” he asked of Tera and she nodded. “If anyone comes looking for either of us and you do not know them personally we were never here.”

“This is not my first court intrigue, Robin.”

“No, it's not, but is the first one that nearly wiped out the entire royal family in four hundred years.” He got to his feet and cursed the fact that he had not slept since the night before last. He had a long way to track his beloved and knew this was going to be a very tiring day. Closing his eyes he felt for Lexi. The feelings were far off, very far off. The unicorn had had hours to run to wherever he was and it would take Robin so much longer, or until nightfall when he could cover so much more ground by going over it. “Tera, where in the east would Lexi run to?”

“East? His mother's grave is east in the village she was born in. About three days travel. Also his own lands include the village so he may have gone to his keep.”

“That feels about right. I need you to look after Parker for me.” He ran his hand through his hair and sighed deeply. “It seems that I keep asking things of you and I have no right.”

“Oh pish. You go deal with the things you can and let me do what I've done for decades which is work behind the scenes.” He gave her a thin smile. Robin snagged a few meals worth of food from the kitchens and his pack. In minutes he was on the road headed east out town. He brought the turtler. Why, he could not say, only that he felt he should.

Robin found Lexi curled up under an old oak tree that was surrounded by a low stone wall. He found him sobbing late into the night and naked. All three moons hung high in the sky although only two were visible to the human eye. Wisps of clouds slithered above and looked eerie to him with the light turning them an unearthly deep red. The dragon walked carefully up the gravel path so as not to disturb the place and its residents. His head was bowed from more than respect for the dead. He was spent from the lack of sleep and the hours of flying to get here and felt like he could join his love there on the ground just to have a reason to lay down. Lexi was sleeping fitfully and tossed twice in the time it took Robin to cross the fifty yards or so. Without disturbing his rest Robin lifted him and placed one of those odd glowing plants where he had been where it immediately took root. Treena, goddess of the woods, let this plant live healthy and strong. Let it be part of a memorial to a woman who bore your chosen, something more fitting than headstones. He had never prayed to any deity and did not know what to say, what to ask. The bard turned and walked three legged out of the yard without looking back. If she answered she did, if not it was like putting flowers on a grave anyway.

Robin was in the air again but only for a short flight. He landed in the courtyard of a small keep where five stunned guards had drawn bows but were too scared to fire. KNOW THAT I BRING PRINCE ALEXANDER HERE, BUT YOU MAY FIRE AT ME IF YOU WANT. Each could see the prince cradled in the crook of that massive arm and looking no worse for wear. They did not lower their bows, but they did not loose the arrows either. Robin walked over to the front doors and they were hastily opened from the inside. TAKE THESE TO HIS ROOM, he said to one of the guards as he dropped off the pack and then turned to the stables.

“Will...will he not be sleeping in the keep. You are the Bard Robin?” This came from a young, green armsman no older than Robin, still too young to try for that scraggly beard he was attempting to grow. Robin nodded.

THIS KEEP IS GOING TO BE PRIVY TO A SECRET THAT THE KING TOOK TO HIS GRAVE. If he ever knew it at all, Robin thought. If not then he did not die worrying about Lexi getting a curse lifted from himself. Wearily Robin took him to the stables and put him in the last of three stalls, moving out the frightened mare and putting her in with another mare. He fixed both with those eyes of his and imparted that they were to be quiet and not cause any fuss. They instantly quieted and settled down to sleep again. With Lexi now asleep in the hay Robin went out to find that armsman. Not hard since he thought the entire keep was now standing in the yard. Cooks, maids, one butler and twenty soldiers, that was who lived here to defend Lexi's keep from attack and represent the prince. FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL HERE STAY OUT OF THAT STABLE. LEXI HAS JUST LOST THE ONLY FAMILY HE HAS, THE CROWN PRINCE LIES IN BED FROM WOUNDS, AND HE NEEDS REST. YOU, he said to the young soldier WILL NOW BE IN CHARGE OF THE STABLES WHILE WE ARE HERE. CHOOSE ONE OTHER PERSON THE PRINCE WILL TRUST. The boy blinked a few times and then pointed to a woman near Wini's age.

“I am his great aunt Minerva, Bard Robin, through Winifred's late brother.” So family but distant ones. He nodded. It would have to do. She reminded him of Wini in that she brooked no nonsense from anyone including a huge dragon.

GOOD. THE TWO OF YOU PLEASE FOLLOW ME, THE REST OF YOU NOTHING HAPPENED HERE THAT IS OF INTEREST TO ANYONE. They dispersed quickly and quietly while the other three entered the stables. No one questioned the bard because if the rumors were true then he and the prince were all but married. Inside Robin told them of the curse and why they needed to keep this all under hat.

“We understand, Bard Robin,” said Minerva. She could not quite believe this was happening, not to Lexi. He did not deserve it.

PLEASE SEE THAT WE ARE NOT DISTURBED. I HAVE NOT SLEPT IN TWO DAYS AND I AM NOT VERY NICE WHEN I'M LIKE THIS AND TIRED. They nodded and left, closing the doors to the stables and Robin heard the unmistakable sound of a wagon being rolled against the doors. He shook his head. Like that would stop him if he really wanted to get out. Robin went to the stall with Lexi and curled up to sleep. Tucking his tail around Lexi to keep him warm he was soon slumbering so deeply he did not waken for his change.

When Lexi woke up he was laying in a pile of straw rather than the green grass of his mother's grave. He could tell he was in unicorn shape because of the fact that Robin was asleep against his barrel with his arm across his withers. He could see the necklace he still wore and rings that matched it were on his fingers. He wore nothing else. The previous day came flooding back when he realized he was in his keep in Arensford. With a shudder he pushed back the tears and eased to his feet so as to not wake Robin. He knew his Charrinda was exhausted. He must have flown here, a very long flight for him. Then he won his way into the keep somehow and he was now in the stables. Quietly he made his way to the doors but found them blocked off on the other side. They had not trusted the dragon to not try and eat them, not that he could blame them. Looking around in vain for a way out he sighed and let out a snort. Well, Robin could very well go back to sleep as tired as he is, Lexi thought and turned his hind quarters to the doors and kicked. The wood doors flew off their hinges and the wagon that was blocking it was splintered, the hay scattering like dandelions in the wind. The doors were now open, the bard was still out like a snuffed candle and the guards were about to see a unicorn for the first time. A good start to the day.

A young armsman came running over with his sword half drawn, but he skidded to a halt when he saw the prince. “Uh...gods he wasn't lying. Your Grace are... is that you?” Lexi stomped a hoof and nodded. “I...my name is Cecil. I was recruited three months ago, sir, and last night the ...uh...bard said I was to...uh...keep watch over the stables.” He was so shocked that he was stammering like an idiot. “Sir, I really don't know what to say. I'm not even sure you can understand me...gods I'm talking to a unicorn and the only thing that says he's my liege is a dragon.” If the man was not treating this so seriously Lexi would have found it funny. As it was he was liking this recruit. “Are you hungry? I...think there is some oatmeal left over from the mess hall. Or do you graze?” Lexi could not keep it in any longer and he let out a trill of notes coupled with a whinny that sounded so much like a laugh that Cecil stopped and ran his hand through his short hair. “I guess I'm babbling, huh. Well, Your Grace, it's your keep, you know where food is.” He gave a salute and walked off with Lexi still laughing. Once the private was gone the unicorn walked with his head low, his good humor gone and depression setting in once again.

He found it absurdly easy to walk past his guards. Not that they were lax. On the contrary they looked more alert than ever before. News of his Father's death must have literally flown around the kingdom and with Lexi there now they were not going to let anyone in the keep. Yet if he could walk past with his limited magic, then any wizard could. The portcullis was down and the bridge at half, so Lexi slipped out the pasture gate to eat and think. The oatmeal sounded good, but the grass would be better. He was turning into Travis and his vegetarian ways...he shut that train of thought down. He was not ready to grieve for his lost brothers. It somehow did not feel real, like if he did not grieve they would not be dead.

Now how can I protect the keep? He had to think of something else to do than cry; he'd done that for his father and he would not want his son to sink into a puddle of sorrow over his death when there was work to be done. Lexi knew a few spells to protect a place but none of them were strong enough to protect the keep from a wizard that can break through Trav's wards. “Silly human 'corn,” came a voice he recognized. Sitting on the flower under his nose was the pixie from the falls. He took one step back and bowed. This was Treena, a goddess and a major goddess. She deserved his respect and homage. “No, bowing. Not from you.” She seemed very focused today. “I was told you would be here. It's a little out of my normal realm, but there are enough trees for me to come and of course that lovely old oak. Human, you worry about these people here. It is part of why I chose you. You love the people and also the forests as much as any elf.” The skin around his nostrils reddened as he blushed. She clapped happily, distracted momentarily. “Would you feel up to your task if this place were protected, or a place nearby that could be used as a sanctuary?” He nodded emphatically. A sanctuary was a sacred place held apart from the ravages of war, famine, disease and almost time. There were a few scattered about the land, all cared for by the followers of whatever holy person that served the deity that made the sanctuary. “Then I shall designate one area here that will be safe from molestation, from evil.” He thought of the place he wanted and she smiled joyously. “Yes, your mother's grave site. It has a wall to keep out the winds and the oak to keep out most of the rain. It could be improved upon to make it a true shelter as long as no one harms the plants...or if they plant more!” He sent out a heartfelt thanks and she fluttered up to stroke his nose. Once again that warmth filled him and took the sting out of his feelings. “You are such a good human. You care so deeply.” She flew up and turned to leave. “I will be sending you another companion, human. You have cared for the turtler so well that I think you should care for this mockingbird too. He is very bright for a bird but fragile and in need of a protector.” Then she vanished in a swirl of lights that became butterflies of every color that danced away on the wind.

A goddess would protect his people here if they could get to the sanctuary. He did not really care about the keep only its inhabitants. In fact, if he could work things out, he could have a new keep built around the grove. Lexi ate quickly and galloped off to the grove to see if it would be feasible. When he got there his jaw dropped. There were the flowers from the falls already growing in abundance except for on the gravel path. They lit the walls in their pale blue glow and shamed the light of the sun above. Where his mother's head stone had been was now a Fountain. It was taller and had two spouts instead of one and the fog floated to the ground like a misty rainbow. As he approached he could see an inscription.

“All ye who come in peace will leave in health. Honor thy Mother and The Mother

for here lies a Queen born of the soil and returned to Her embrace.”

Lexi teared up and sent out a thank you again. His mother deserved no less than this memorial and Lexi thought she would think it too much. He could feel something he had never felt before. It was subtle, ephemeral contentment. Peace infused the grove and he could feel free of the pain he had been dealing with for the past hours and even the deeper pains he had known all his life were easier. He breathed deeply of the fragrant flowers and felt himself lifted to a place of harmony from the bog his life had become and the scent reminded him of Robin. Complex and simple, sweet and potently powerful, yet gentle.

Lexi felt something touch his rump and his tail automatically snapped at it. There was a squawk and he looked back to see a mockingbird fluttering its wings in indignation. It was a mockingbird, but it was snow white with deep piercing brown eyes that held many secrets. Lexi tilted his head in question and it sidestepped up his back and sat just behind the horn and groomed him. This could only be the bird Treena spoke of. No other bird would have the audacity to look affronted if they lighted onto the rump of any equine and got stung. A soft trill came from his horn and the bird cocked his head before repeating the exact tones and melody. Lexi played an actual melody and the bird harmonized with a facility that showed intellect and humor when it tried to force him into the harmony. The unicorn tooted a laughing melody. He liked this bird. The turtler was nice if he wanted just quiet companionship that needed no words, but he could have fun with this bird. Robin would like him too.

“You're right, I probably would,” Robin said coming up from the gate. Lexi had not felt him coming because of the strange effects of the grove but he was glad to see he was fine after so little sleep. Then he realized it was getting late in the day. “Why do I feel like this one will be following us too?” He carried the turtler in his arms. “He wanted to make sure you were okay.”

Lexi laughed as Robin put the beastie down and it sped faster than any turtle ever could to his side and rubbed against his leg. Robin would almost say the gold shelled creature was relieved that he was fine. “So, a mocking bird. A white one at that.” The bird in question sang a tune that had Robin giggling. It was a song mother's used to frighten their children into behaving. Not scary when coming from such a small bird. “You're pretty smart for a feather head.” It bobbed once and then glided down to perch on the turtler who regarded it with a bit of respect and almost pity. Robin and Lexi shared a glance. Something was up. These animals were too smart, too familiar with each other. Could they actually know one another? Robin had no answers. “Charrinda, if you plan on turning our hunt into a menagerie try and keep it to a minimum. Parker will have fits of joy to have a pet bird along with the turtler. We should get back to the keep before sunset or your staff will be wondering what happened. And do tell me what I missed. This is...not natural.” He gestured to the grove and the fountain. Lexi nodded and they started back to the keep, the mockingbird perching on Lexi's head and the turtler marching along with them. Robin felt the question in Lexi's mind. “How did I find you? Same way as I did last night. I always know where you are. Same as you do me if you'd care to find me. By the way, I love what you've done with the barn doors. They make a great ornaments for the garden on the south wall.” Lexi hung his head sheepishly. “Oh quit pouting. I almost torched the doors last night when I realized they tried to lock us in.”

The mockingbird sang a querying note. “They barred the barn from the outside and prince charming over here decided to kick the door off its hinges and send it about eighty feet to crash against the wall. The opposite wall.” The bird laughed and groomed Lexi in praise. “We need to come up with names for these guys. Can't keep calling them bird and turtler. They need names that are not ridiculous. Something fitting for intelligent beings.” Lexi pictured the mocking bird and then a bleak snowy landscape and a heart. “That does not fit. Snow Heart?” Lexi made a leading gesture with his horn. “Not snow? Uh...Cold? No. Winter?” Lexi nodded. “Winter Heart? I dunno. What say you, feathers?” The bird peeped and bobbed his head. “Hey, if you want a girlie name, it's your call.” Robin was smiling. This bird was exceptionally bright and could understand human speech, express emotions through song. There was something not quite right with these animals. “Well, what about Shelby over there.” It perked up at the sound of the name and nodded. “Shelby? I was joking, but hey, if you like it.” He nodded again and seemed to be smiling, his eyes very expressive. “Lexi, Tera made a point. She thinks we should go back to the castle...” The unicorn shook his head so violently that Winter Heart took to wing and settled on Shelby with a squawk of chastisement. “I take that as a no. I think she is right. You need to be there. If not for you, or for the kingdom which needs to see there are two princes left, one unfortunately going to be crowned king, then for the spirit of your father. He would not want to see all of his work gone for nothing, and he would want to say good bye.” Plodding along beside him they entered the keep, the workers hard at work repairing the doors. All activity stopped as Lexi went into the stable and laid down. Robin looked back and all activity resumed. He joined his beloved in the straw.

“Look, I know you hate Fred. I hate him. Everyone hates him! I know you do not want to go back to a place where you had mostly everyone you cared for killed.” Lexi perked up and Robin told him everything he had heard from Tera. The king dying by poison, Travis and Ethan being nothing more than piles of dust. He left nothing out, Lexi would know if he did. When he was done Lexi just laid his head down and sighed. Robin stroked his mane and nose. “I know. Our little hunt can wait until the month is done.” His Charrinda said nothing. Robin said nothing else either, he just sat there. Being close was all Lexi needed, to know that he had not lost everyone he had loved. Someone was still there for him, someone he loved, one he loved more than all the others. It would have to be enough because he could not wish his family back. As hard as he would try, no one can come back from the dead. Except Robin.

* * *

Lexi had held a meeting of his staff to tell them about the grove. He left out some key factors, talking to gods in the flesh was a hallmark for insanity, but they got the meat of the message without the potato. “If it seems like the keep will fall let it. I care less for a house than I do for any of you.” It was just after sundown and he was not acting like a prince in mourning, he was acting like a man with a duty the weight of a mountain that had been placed on his shoulders suddenly. “How you get there is up for you to decide. Robin and I leave for the castle in an hour. The less time we spend here the better and safer for all of you. Aunt, you are as always in charge, but listen to suggestions. If you need funding for anything send to the castle and I will make Fred see the need since he pretty much thinks less of any of you than his own shit.” Staggering to hear their future king did not care for his people.

“Sir, begging your pardon for interrupting,” Cecil began hesitantly. Lexi gestured and the lad continued. “Would it not be easier to move us to the grove?”

“If you don't mind the weather, it would be ideal. If you do plan to build a shelter there for every plant or tree you kill you must plant two more of the same type. The oak and the site itself will not be altered in any way or I will personally call down the wrath of Treena upon the head of whoever did it.” He said it with a smile, but his tone was deathly serious. They laughed nervously, wondering just what powers he had as a unicorn, defender of the natural world.

Those who knew the young prince well knew he had changed since the last time he had visited his lands, which was a month before he met Robin. He was harder to life, he had seen more of what the world can do to a young and innocent soul, like his. He was still the same caring person, but some of his innocence had been ripped from him. His brother dead, Father dead, his inn that was ran by his Nanny was attacked, his Charrinda and himself cursed to never be human together. It was more than most people could bear, but then he had never been like most people. “Now, the tedious parts. How did the people fair the Winter? And the crops.”

Copyright © 2014 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 3
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This story is so intriguing. I love Robin and Lexi. I know there are many trials for them to go thru and endure before they are able to take down Frederick and the Bard. I can't wait for the next installment!!!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..