Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 12,967 Words
  • 2,512 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Bard and the Prince - 10. Chapter 10

Robin was tired when they landed in the south pasture. He had circled the castle once to let them know they were back and then glided to the stables to let the guards spread the word. Parker was all aflutter about his flight on dragon back. “And then whoosh! Up we'd go and swoop down we would plunge!” he was telling Wini who kept a smile on her face, but her eyes said she was wishing the boy would shut up and leave her to her grief.

IMP, GO PUT THE STUFF AWAY. YOU CAN TELL WINI ALL ABOUT IT IN THE MORNING. The boy took the hint, looked at the elderly woman, and reached out to give her a hug before doing what he was asked. She watched him go. Robin shimmied out of the saddle and reached out slowly to place his claw on her back. Her eyes came to him and she let them fall.

Lexi came over from stowing the saddle and wrapped his arms around her. With no one around to see them, no one braved the wrath of a dragon when two friends had died, Lexi and his grandmother cried silently the tears both still needed to shed together. Together. Something Robin was only barely a part of. This was their family, their loved ones for all that he loved Travis like a brother and respected and liked the King and Nathan. He was an outsider. He would never truly be a part of their family, only one who loved like family. Wini pulled him into their circle, seeming to know his feelings, and he wrapped both huge arms around them and proved one thing no one knew.

Dragons could cry.

Lexi and Robin turned and looked at the door a moment before ten armsmen in full armor came in to escort Frederick and Raven. The very surprising thing was that the sinister bard was not wearing his customary black. No, tonight he wore white, the colors of mourning. The way he held himself, every fiber of his being said he was distraught and grieving. Everything but his eyes. They were still the cold, evil pits of hell they had always been. “What the hell is that thing doing in my castle?” asked the Crown Prince.

Lexi looked at him like he was the most pitiful creature alive. He would never be a good king. “It is not your castle yet, Fred, so pull your nose out of the air.” There was no anger in his tone, only sorrow. “I would like an escort to see Father.”

“I don't know why you are here, bastard,” Robin lifted Lexi bodily from the ground to prevent the massacre that was about to happen, “but you are no longer welcome in this castle. If I could I would strip you of your lands, titles, allowances and maybe your life. I would not even acknowledge you as my brother.” His voice was cruel and that feeling of evil was stronger than before. He was no longer just a spoiled brat. Now he was a grown man with a dark nature that would care nothing for his people. He felt twisted like the most gnarled branch of a lifeless tree in the deepest, dankest fen. Putrid and acidic, bile from vomit mixed with sulfur; this is what he smelled like to Robin.

“You cannot remove me from the castle, Fred. Ever. And you cannot change that law when you are king. Yet I will not stay here once Father has been interred in the the ground and the mourning has passed. I have things that do not require you or the castle.” Each word was delivered softly without malice or heated anger, yet Fred took them as a slap to the face. “Now, please escort me to see my Father.” Fred turned and stalked from the stable. He looked no worse for wear, no injuries they could see. Something was not right. There was something they were missing. The parting shot Raven sent them was full of conquest and triumph.

One armsman stayed behind. “Beggin' yer pardon, yer Grace, but I'm not thinkin' the Prince be wantin' you there.” Lexi nodded. “If ye wait an hour I'll take you up off me shift.” Lexi smiled and gave the man a clap on his armored shoulder. This was a true king's man, his Father's man through and through and he respected the man before him. Prince Alexander was more fit for the title than his half brother at least in everyone else's eyes and hearts. The guard saluted and marched off.

Robin slipped out behind him and cleared his throat. The man spun and looked up in mixed awe, fear and respect. HOW MANY MEN ARE LOYAL TO THE CROWN AND HOW MANY WERE LOYAL TO THE MAN?

The armsman considered for a moment. “I'd say a good half were loyal t' the King an' no the crown. Yer thinkin' there be trouble when his Highness tries t' kick out the young prince?”

I KNOW THERE WILL BE, ESPECIALLY IF HE TRIES IT AT NIGHT. The man smiled with a knowing gleam in his eyes. I HAVE NO AUTHORITY HERE, BUT COULD YOU PICK NINE LOYAL MEN, LOYAL TO HORATIO AND WHO KNOW LEXI? HAVE THEM SEE HE IS NOT BOTHERED?

“How far ye want us t' take this?”

HELLS BELOW, MAN, START A RIOT IN THE STREETS JUST TO KEEP HIS MEN BUSY. YOU SEEM LIKE A RESOURCEFUL MAN, BE CREATIVE. He grinned broadly. He had been given free rein to cause some mischief by one who would not be harmed lest he bring ruin to the entire castle.

“I got me a few ideas. Yer a good man under all that monster. Ye take care of our prince when ye leave us.” Robin nodded and went out to the pasture to lay in the moonlight and rest. Two long flights in as many days. He was tired, but in a good way. He was not dead to the world exhausted which meant he was gaining the one thing he needed for flight, stamina.

The mockingbird came flying over and landed on his horn. It looked at him for a moment and whistled a lament. It was deep and sorrowful, like the bird felt such anguish at the loss of the king and for Lexi's feelings. YEAH, YOU AND ME BOTH, WINTER HEART. He closed his eyes and let his mind drift as Winter Heart sang. His tune became a well known song of lament sung all over Rendol and Lycenia. The poignant chorus had Robin tearing again, but their was something in this song, some sort of power he felt now. He felt like he could put this behind him and not grieve for more than he actually needed to. It felt much like his own power did but nowhere near as intrusive or noticeable.

“Thought I'd find you here,” came Lexi's voice some time later. Much later. He had been lost in the song of the bird who had not stopped singing for over an hour. “Has he been singing that since he left the stable?”

YES. IT'S ACTUALLY HELPED. Robin sighed and stood and shivered in the cool night. Winter brought the song to a close and lighted to the prince's shoulder. There he gave a look of pride with a hint of...revenge? Satisfaction? Robin shook his head. Smart as the bird was that was attributing it too much intelligence, and why would he feeling satisfied by getting revenge. Revenge for what?

“I found out a nice little tidbit of information. Father was in the process of writing a law when he realized he... he'd been poisoned.” Lexi swallowed past the grief. “It will be ratified in two weeks when the Council of Lords meets to decide if Frederick should be king. Unfortunately they are mostly in his pockets so there is little hope for the better candidate to be chosen. Why they won't choose the butcher's prize sow is beyond me.” The mocking bird and dragon let out a laugh that was needed. “I have not heard what it is yet, but Wini says she will bully and push the council into acting upon it as soon as it is passed. She says it is about time one king thought of it.” That sounded like Winifred's words.

They returned to the stable so Robin could get some sleep before the change although it was painless now. He could sleep through it, but he never wanted to. He wanted to always remember when it was time to shift so he would not be caught unawares and change when he could not prepare for it. As he curled up in the straw at Lexi's feet he felt himself already drifting off into a deep slumber...

...Robin stood in a white light. It was ambient and omnipresent, looking like he heard the Heavens would be like. He could feel he was not dead and that this was a dream, but it was no natural dream. He knew that. You are correct, my child. He spun to see a man shaped figure seated upon a throne. At his right hand sat another man who was surrounded by many souls that worshiped him and through him his Father. On his left were damned things that man had no words for. They would never know the peace of the others, only the torture of their personal hells. You are not asleep, child of Sonoh. While your body rests I have brought you here so we may talk.

Robin could only think this was a god. He had met a few now and knew their feeling, their energy, their raw scent. “I am curious as to why, Divine One. I am, as you say, closest to Sonoh.”

True, but I have a small task for you. Treena and Nautle have given into your care two animals. Robin nodded, seeing where this was going. He was wondering if and when another would pop up. This animal, a wolf, was once one of my most devout followers before he was afflicted with the same curse as you. As were the other two. Robin would have had to sit down had he had a body. There were three others? And the gods thought they could all band together and bring down not only their own bane but the demon lord. The animals...people were suited for all environments. Winter Heart in the air, Shelby in the water and this wolf on land. The others of my brethren would not have told you about their origins, but I felt otherwise. I understand that you are carrying a burden, child, but this is one task I would ask for the sake of my follower, the others and you and your...chosen mate. He did not quite sneer at this, but he said it as if it were distasteful. There were numerous gods in the pantheon, but so far only the elder gods, the primal gods, had made their appearance to them. And of them only two preached against same sex couples and this one was obviously not female.

That left one god and it was the main religion in Lycenia and Rendol. Called the True God, few knew his name or what to call him other than this. It was a god of peace and compassion, not one of carnal lust or debauchery. He did not condone sex without marriage, a sanctioned marriage and not a hand fasting or other that the other gods liked or tolerated. He did not like killing needlessly but wars had been fought in his name. “This wolf will be coming to us or do we find him?”

He will be there in the morning as the sun peeks over the tree line. Do not fear him for he is and was a man of serenity and peace, yet within him is the beast. You of all people understand that. Robin did. Truly he knew about having a beast within himself all too well.

“I will do this. I know you do not approve of Lexi and I, but you honor us with your request.” The god nodded his head and gestured. Robin felt like he was floating down back to his body and he landed gentle as a kiss...

...He opened his eyes when Lexi touched his shoulder. “Are you okay? There was a moment when I thought you had stopped breathing.”

I'M FINE, LEXI. WE WILL BE HAVING ONE MORE COMPANION GOING ALONG WITH US. He told him about the dream and the handsome blond's eyes were wide.

“Are you sure? You spoke with Him?” Robin nodded, he was as sure as he could be never having gone to any church services in that religion. This news shook Lexi noticeably. It was not every day you found out for sure that a god was not happy with you, but they would risk the wrath of all the gods for each other.

LOVE, BEFORE YOU CHANGE I WOULD LIKE YOU TO PUT ON ONE OF THE PENDANTS AND THE MATCHING RING. I WANT TO SEE IF YOU WILL CHANGE AS I DO BECAUSE OF THESE STONES.

“If you say so. I don't see what I will turn into, there are no red unicorns that I've ever heard of.” He smiled to let him know he was joking and that he would do it. He pulled on the rings and pendants that somehow felt right for him. They felt like he should be wearing them. The odd thing is they were the other six Robin had thought would work for him. “How would I trigger these stones?”

I JUST THINK OF THE ONE I WANT. To demonstrate he thought about the emerald gem his scales and form shifted to the green scaled swimming dragon Lexi had ridden on what seemed like weeks ago but had only been three days. The change was swift, almost taking no time at all. Then the form wavered again and this time it was a dragon Lexi had never seen. Sleeker than the other two by far, it had no horns to speak of, amber orange scales smaller than a thumbnail, longer wings with bright peach membranes and a more feral look in Robin's eyes. He turned his head and pointed his snout out to the pasture. He inhaled to breathe out his fire, but what came out was more like a bolt of lightning and the same pale blue-white as his fire. It arced far longer than his fire did but did not spread out the way the fire did. It would be far more accurate against one target. THESE ARE THE ONLY TWO I KNOW ABOUT. I AM HESITANT TO TRY THE OTHER THREE STONES INDOORS AND IT IS TOO CLOSE TO CHANGING TO MOVE OUTSIDE. He reached out a claw that had stubby claws instead of the talons of the red and cupped Lexi's cheek. HAVE YOU SLEPT YET, Charrinda, YOU FEEL TIRED.

“I will after I change and see what I turn into if anything.” He had not slept since the night before and would not feel comfortable sleeping here anymore, not with his Father and Trav gone. And Nathan too for that matter. He had gotten closer to his brother since he found out about the curse and they found that while they would never be as close as he and Trav there was much in common. Their love for the outdoors, devotion to being the best they could be at everything they did, a strong sense of self, a love for the arts Lexi never knew Nathan had. There were depths to his stoic brother that he had never known were there because the man had not chosen to share them until those few months ago. He missed him.

More than he missed Ethan and Lexi liked Ethan more as a person. Yet the priestly brother was hardly around the places Lexi was even when Ethan traveled beside him when he went on his forays to the city and other surrounding villages within a day's ride of the castle. He was always in the temples and places of learning while Lexi was in the taverns and poorer sections of the city and villages tending to what tasks he could do. They would see each other in passing and ask about their days, but until they moved on they would rarely see the other. They walked in companionable silence, pointing out things they found lovely about the countryside or to ask an opinion about a matter they were undecided about, yet they did not talk about things brothers would. Lexi did not bring up his love life, or lack thereof, because Ethan was a priest of the True God and would not find it pleasant. Also because Ethan was celibate, he had never even kissed a girl on the hand and had stopped kissing the women of the castle, like Wini and Cook, on the cheek when he turned five. They did not speak of how they would change the laws to help the people, both knew they would never be king, yet he and Trav had on numerous occasions done it. Neither would they talk about music as Ethan's tastes were for sacred hymnals and Lexi's were for anything he liked. The priest would dance to the secular tunes, yet the ones he played with passion were the ones you would hear in church. They shared compassion and a desire to help any who asked for it, yet they had little in common. He would miss him too.

The changes happened quickly and painlessly and Robin pulled on a simple wool robe he liked. He was covered but he could strip it off in a hurry if need be. “Would you like company, love, or privacy?” He felt the desire for privacy. “Okay. I'll be eating in the mess when you are done, but let me know before you go to sleep the outcome.” Robin picked up Shelby and started off to the mess hall where he would not have to encounter the prince or the bard, where he could relax among some friends he had made while he was here.

The prince walked out to the forest, feeling the tingle of each stone that were set in the pendants he wore. Miraculously they had expanded to fit him in his unicorn size, but then Robin's did to accommodate his dragon. The bit of vanity he had said the sapphire, ruby, moonstone, sunstone, pearl and onyx necklaces looked fabulous against his white coat. Silly thing, vanity, but even as a human he had a strong sense of what clothes looked good on him and dressed accordingly even if the style was not popular. Like the hideous bell sleeves favored now! Ugh, whoever thought they looked good on men was insane. You couldn't conceal a dagger under them or even wear a tight overcoat because it would wrinkle the fabric of the shirt sleeves.

Walking into the forest always lightened his heart, but more so in his unicorn form. He had an affinity for the woodlands, always had. Perhaps he was truly a child of Treena then. Once under the trees protective cover he looked for a place that was sheltered but open enough to accommodate a large creature. There was no telling what he may turn into, if he changed at all. It could be a roc bird or a phoenix, or some other mythical creature. Maybe there were other types of unicorns. White and black may not be the only ones. He found his place after a few moments and looked around just in case his keen senses were failing him. Robin had said to concentrate on one of them, but which one first? He remembered that he had liked the look of the moonstone pendant and thought about it.

His body spasmed as a sudden flash of pain gripped him, but it was over in a moment. He could not tell what he was turning into except that his height was a foot lower and his senses dulled a bit while his sheer physical power grew threefold. Those pearly hooves became tawny claws like those on a cat and instead of a long horse nose he looked down the muzzle of a lion, a massive lion twice the size of any he had heard of. The shift took longer then he thought it should, but a lion was very different from a unicorn for all that they were both quadrupeds and massed about the same. His alabaster hair had been changed into a golden blond with light brown markings on his feet. He looked at his body as much as he could and found he was almost the same size as his unicorn form only he did not have the same neck. Lexi's head whipped to the left as he saw something scurry away and he stopped himself from racing after the bounding deer. The hunter's instincts were so different than those of the 'corn that he knew he would have to govern his mind more closely while in this form.

Robin had been right about the trigger. Simply thinking about a certain necklace had changed him. So, a lion. A very big large lion at that and one more than strong enough to rend anything but a dragon to shreds with a single swipe from those monumental claws. The unicorn was good for a straight run and charge but if it came down to a fight where brute strength was needed he was ready. All I have to do now is worry about hairballs, he thought wryly. Because he had to, just to hear it, he let out a huge roar that quite literally sent every bird and squirrel and other fuzzy woodland creatures running away from there. It rang so loudly even in the sound dampening forest that the very leaves fluttered down after being blasted off their branches. Lexi let out a chuckle that sounded from somewhere deep in his chest. It was more than a purr but less than a laugh. He could get to like this form just for that roar.

Enough fooling around, he chided himself. He thought about the sapphire pendant and the shift made every bone in his body ache so badly that his next roar was one of agony. Not even his very first change hurt this much. The world spun away as he heard his roar change to the shrill cry of an eagle. When he was at last able to breathe and pry open his eyes the entire world had grown. Every detail on every leaf he could see with crystal clarity, even the minute spider than was spinning up a caterpillar was as large as a house to his enhanced vision. Lexi tried to get up off the ground but found he could not use his hands to push up. He had no hands, only broad, majestic wings with blue tipped feathers. With the ungainly grace of a land bound flier Lexi eventually got to his feet. An eagle could be nice once he learned how to fly, but until then he would not use this form at all.

He was very tired from these shifts, but he had to finish or he would not do it later. He tried to get this over with and thought about the onyx pendant. The shift went back the other direction as he took on the sleek form of a black bottle nosed dolphin. For a moment he floundered but his mind broke through the panic and he knew he was some sort of air breathing swimmer. He thought about another pendant, this time the pearl, and again swung to a smaller form. He felt longer than he was tall and as he surveyed his body he saw he was an otter, a pearl white otter. He had always loved to watch the playful creatures frolic in the waves and gamboling across the land.

The ruby from was some sort of reptile close to three feet long and he knew he was giving off a lot of body heat because the foliage around him was singed and turning black. His mind could come up with no other creature than a salamander and not the aquatic lizards either. These salamanders were related to dragons and could spit corrosive saliva that burned anything it touched until it was washed off not to mention they gave off intense body heat hot enough to cook food in a quarter of the time.

The last pendant and form had him searching his mind, racking his brain, to remember what he was. He had heard of such creatures. They were related to cats like wolves were to dogs, and they were the same size as a house cat. They had the same basic features of their feline cousins, the almond eyes, whiskers, ears and paws, but they had nine tails, each on tipped with a different colored fur. Their common name was cat o' nines, but that was merely descriptive. His long tails swished in agitation as he could not recall the name of the beastie. I give up, he said aloud and jumped at the sound of his own voice. It had the same lilt as his voice, but it was soft and sounded like a meow would have if it could say actual words. I can talk? In this form I can have a conversation with Robin! He was over joyed with that and lost his concentration on the form and shifted back to his unicorn shape. It was just as well. He was tired and needed to rest. He walked at a slow pace back to the stable and sent out a thought to Robin that he was back and had some news.

Little did he know he was being followed.

Robin must have run to get there because he showed up in only a minute. “Can you change?” Lexi nodded wearily. “Excellent.” The joy of the discovery faltered. “I wish Trav were still around to be told. He would be able to tell us why it works. You go to sleep now and you can tell me what you were when you have lips.” He nodded and went to sleep.

His little follower slipped into the loft and went rummaging through the bags and was out the window before anyone was the wiser. It was met by its accomplice and they shared in the haul in a very odd way. They were in turn met by a massive gray and black wolf. It eyes gazed out of the fierce furred face with tranquility and peace and it greeted Winter Heart and Shelby like old friends. The mockingbird set down its purloined treasure. He had seen what had happened to Lexi and knew somehow it would work for them. He had taken fifteen other rings and pendants and set them out. They had some experimenting to do.

* * *

When Lexi woke he was in human form and a wolf laid across his lap sound asleep. He recalled vividly that there would be a wolf joining them, but this wolf was the same size as a small horse with very exotic markings and the fur on his head was in slight disarray. Lexi looked at it in wonder. He was a magnificent beast, and it would be hard to not treat him as a beast. He knew their companions were once people but it was hard to see it until they did something too smart for a bird or turtler...or wolf. “You have slept overly long.” The voice startled the prince and his jerk caused the wolf to wake and stand up for a stretch. Lexi turned to see the head of a bird of prey peeking over the stall wall looking at him with uncanny brown eyes. “Close your mouth, Lexi, lest a fly get in.”

“Winter Heart?” The bird nodded and walked around the wall to show he was no bird but a griffin. His plumage was stripped with browns and golds to look like cat's eye gemstones. Lexi stood and stared.

“I am magnificent, am I not?”

“You really were human. Gods above this is surreal. How is this possible?” Lexi wanted to reach out and touch him to make sure he was not dreaming.

“You were the one who gave me the idea to try those stones. The three of us found that five of them worked for us. Shelby is resting from his ordeal as was our brethren whom decided it was his duty to guard you while Robin is out hunting.” Winter could see Lexi was finding all of this shocking and that it would take some time for him to get use to it. “Perhaps we should let him wake up.” The wolf nodded and walked out of the stall as regal as any king and as serene as any lake. “I do not recommend disturbing Shelby. He is not a likable morning person. Whenever morning comes.”

Lexi was dressed and following in seconds, passing a long limbed black turtle in the stall next to his. He nearly stumbled when he recognized a death snapper. They were magical beasts that could speak as well as any dragon but had some sort of magic that let them kill with a gaze. It is said that the first snapper was a foul murderess named Medusa. She was accused to killing any who saw her face so that a story was told that to look into the eyes of Medusa was to die.

Strange about snappers was they could walk on their hind legs. They were ungainly and wobbled, but they could walk like a toddler. They could also grasp things like hammers and saws and the one time Lexi had seen a death snapper was when it, he was not sure whether it was male or female and did not stick around to find out, was building itself a small cabin half in the water of a lake. It was decently made too. Forgetting the snapper for later he ran after the griffin and wolf. “Can I ask you some questions?”

“You wish to know who we were.” Lexi nodded as the griff settled down and crossed his foreclaws like any cat. His plumage was bright even at night and the prince thought that the cat's eye gem was striking when used for bird feathers. The griffin had a tall crest of feathers on his head that had so far acted to accentuate the minute expressions his face was able to make. It dropped when sad, rose when happy, spread when angry and just danced around when he was lost in thought. “I do not remember who I was. I recall knowing many things I learned at the side of a master of lore and writing, but I know not anything else save I knew Shelby and this wolf in my life. There is a kinship that I feel for them and for you and Robin. Perhaps it is that all of us were cursed into these bodies.”

“There is that. So nothing?” The griff shook his head, those feathers drooping sadly. “Well, be thankful you still have your lives and a chance to return to who you were.”

The wolf's shape shimmered and reformed into a smaller reptile. It was an oddly colored creature with bands of blue, brown and gold in its scales and pale blue membranes for its wings. The drake was akin to dragons only smaller. They were rarely known to be larger than a pony but all the more fierce because of it and a horrible Little Man's complex. Speak for yourself, child, for the one you call Shelby is not happy with his lot. Spoken like a priest he was told to be. He is resigned to his fate but likes it not. He finds comfort in our presence and feels protective of a boy called Parker the Imp. Lexi stifled a laugh. Poor Parker was not called Melina's boy anymore. It had been changed to Imp. It is my opinion he was a father and misses his children very much. That would be why he was always so protective of Lexi's feelings. Perhaps the turtler was a father and he had sons around their ages.

“You seem strangely content.”

I am content to be the best of who I am. I find myself not wanting for much of my old life. I remember a profound sense of loss that shattered my peace and truth be told I am unsure what to do. I feel I should return to my human self, but I am...frightened of what I return to. Not an easy thing to admit.

Lexi got a flash of pain that came from Robin and he jumped to his feet and looked south. The flash was just that and had receded into a dull ache, but one message was clear. He was in trouble. “Robin's in trouble. Damn it to the Nine Hells! Why now?”

Is he headed back here? Lexi nodded. I shall find and protect him. Perhaps it would be wise to prepare to leave. Something does not sit well within me. Lexi nodded. Who would attack a dragon on the wing? Who could? A wizard that's who.

“Help him, please Winter. I have heard tales of griffin ferocity even against dragon.” The beast nodded and was airborne in seconds and soon followed by the drake who could not hope to match the maneuverability of the bird but could out fly him in a straight run. Lexi ran back inside. “Shelby wake up!” he yelled from the entryway and hoped the creature did not turn that look on him.

“What! This had better be good, Lexi or I will remove your reason for calling yourself a man.” That was graphic and Lexi winced.

“Go get Parker. Robin's been attacked and we are getting out of this place. If anyone gets in your way and seems to want to stop you then kill them.” Lexi hated saying those words and it tore at his heart, but his Charrinda was bleeding a lot and may not make it far enough to get here. He had to think pragmatically.

“That is not like you, Lexi, not like you at all.” He stood and ran far faster than Lexi would have credited with those stubby bowed legs. He snatched up a sword that Robin kept by the door in case of problems. So Shelby had been a swordsman of some sort, perhaps a soldier in a battle where this wizard set his curse upon him. He had never had a chance to say goodbye to his loved ones, his sons. Lexi shoved the thoughts out of his head and sent Robin mental picture of help on the way and in what form. A small reply was returned and a very grateful one. The prince set about packing all the things they would need. Clothing, money, weapons, a small stash of food to last the rest of the night for the two humans and some bandaging.

Parker came in followed by Wini and Shelby. The boy looked half asleep and he was buckling on his travel leathers. Lexi told him what he knew and they went out to the pasture to wait. Wini was oddly quiet, her thoughts turned inward. “Remember the store when all else seems lost. Remember that which was used to do as will be done again. Remember the keepsakes of the past for they will be needed in the future.”

“Huh?” Lexi looked at her but she shook her head and looked up at him.

“Did I say anything? Anything that made coherent sense?” Lexi repeated it. He realized she had a foretelling. She was a devout follower of the goddess Sierra, the goddess of knowledge. She was the chronicler of history and the spinner of Fates threads. It was a show of her favor for Lexi and Parker to be present when one of her messages was sent to her follower. “Remember those words Lexi. They are important if She wants you to hear them.” He nodded and then looked south as Robin's form could just be seen. His flight was rocking and unsteady and twice the drake had to steady him from drifting too far to one side.

When he landed Lexi ran over casting his first healing spell, but the drake was already there healing him. He could still use his priestly magic! Good to know he would not be the only healer on this trip. I could use a bit of help, Lexi. I am not used to healing someone with such powerful magical immunities. Lexi did help. He came over and laid his hands on Robin's head and willed healing energy into him. His hands glowed a pearly white as the healing spells knit the torn flesh and wing membranes. The powers of a unicorn were famous, one of their most famous being the touch of one could heal anything short of death. There was one tale that a unicorn gave up its life to bring a human back from death. Very good, Lexi. You have been properly trained. Strange to hear a shield drake speaking of proper training.

“My brother was a priest of your order.” He tilted his head to the side. “You were a priest.”

I know that much. The True God gave me the knowledge to keep me on my journey. This, he gestured with his claw, is merely another step in that journey. Robin opened one huge eye and looked at the smaller draconian with something akin to awe. It was something they would have heard come out of Ethan's mouth, the same calm assurance that this too would pass by the will of the True God or whatever deity you believed in. What happened to you, Robin?

I CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT ACTUALLY DID HAPPEN, SO BEAR WITH ME. They nodded while he tried to sort out what he had seen and heard. The memories were a jumble of images and sounds that did not correspond with his nose. He saw and heard one thing but smelled another or rather a lack of what he saw. I WAS ATTACKED BY NOTHING. THERE WERE TWO HUNDRED NIGHT ELF SOLDIERS ARMED WITH STRANGE CROSSBOWS AND I DID NOT SEE THEM UNTIL I WAS JUST OVERHEAD. THEY FIRED THOSE WEAPONS AND I COULD HAVE SWORN NOTHING HIT ME UNTIL I FELT THE PAIN.

“How is that nothing?” asked Wini. She would not call that many night elves nothing, she'd call it an invasion. At the very least she would call it something.

I COULD NOT SMELL ANY OF THEM. NOR EVEN THE SCENT OF MAGIC THAT COVERED THEIR OWN. THEY WERE THERE TO MY EYES AND EARS, BUT I KNOW THEY WERE NOT REAL.

“Illusions to cover up the real attacker.” Winifred nodded to Winter Heart's words. It could very well have been illusions. “Very powerful illusion to fool a dragon. I recall reading that dragons were immune to them.” His eagle like features were pulled down in confusion like he was unsure if he had read it or not. It was hard not being able to trust your own mind and memories.

“They can't be fooled by mortal means.” Robin and Lexi shared a look. Wini's eyes narrowed dangerously. “Do you know something that I don't?”

“Many things, Grandmother, but this one is one I wish I did not not know. It's like, if you knew it the way I know it then what you knew of it would be what you wouldn't want to know if you knew, you know?” She blinked a few times to try and make sense of all that. Robin could not make sense of it and he knew what it was that she would not want to know if she knew. “What, other than unicorns and dragons, hold sovereign sway on magic?” She almost opened her mouth to answer but shut it because Parker was there. “Precisely. What we know pertains to them.” Parker looked confusedly around. He knew they were talking about the same thing but what that thing was he could not understand.

Yet he was not a dim lad. He knew the histories and the tales as well as the next person. The tales spoke of the source of magic being three creatures. One for good, evil and neutrality. They spoke of unicorns for goodly magic of healing and defense, dragons for neutrality because only a neutral entity can cause the most damage and warp the mind and emotions of a person, the last being evil entities of impurity and malice needed to make the most potent curses... “You're talking about demons, right?” They turned to look at him. “They're the last source of magic.”

Robin grinned. WHOEVER SAID MUSIC WAS NOT INFORMATIVE. I SANG THE “FOUNDER CYCLE” THE LAST TIME WE WERE AT THE LILY, REMEMBER? Lexi thought back and nodded. It had been requested buy a very, very handsome man, almost beautiful in his perfection. Too perfect almost. YOU REMEMBER THAT SONG, PARKER? He nodded with a smile.

“You're right, we mean demons. They are evil...” Lexi began but Parker shook his head. “They are the source of curses and disease magic.”

“I know that, but not all of them are evil. Caametu are not evil, just chaotic.” Lexi shook his head in awe. What were caametu? He looked to Robin who shrugged.

They are the lowest of the true demons, or the greatest of devils. Not even the True God knows which. It is basic studies for acolytes. They are human in appearance except for possessing four arms, the bat wings of any denizen of the other plane and bone-like spikes that protrude from their three fingered hands to their elbows. Sharper features and pointed teeth, they could almost pass for elves with loose fit clothing on. They do not exude the sense of wrongness of demons. The former priest looked at the boy with something akin to wonder. How could you know of them? That was the question of the hour.

“I pay attention. When...” he trailed off and hung his head. “When Father Ethan use to discuss the training he was receiving I was usually somewhere in the room helping Wini or George. No one sees servants and pays them mind to what they overhear.” He looked up with a glistening of tears in his eyes. “I think I will miss him the most. Never once did he order me to do anything. Always he asked and he asked like I was worth something, more than just the person on hand.” Robin scooped the lad into a hug. It never ceases to surprise them how deep a person Parker was. They had lost a brothers, a father, a son-in-law, and friends. They could not see that Parker had lost people he admired, people he had been loyal to simply because they saw him and not the livery he wore. “I bet he's looking down on us with that smile he always had wishing he could be here to get us past our grief.” They nodded. That sounded exactly like Ethan.

“Lexi, I know this is the wrong time to mention this but you know the reading of the Wills happens tomorrow morning for the objects not belonging to the kingdom. I know you are mentioned in your Father's Will and most likely Travis's.” Lexi nodded. He needed to be there for the Wills or he would forfeit everything to the next of kin, Frederick. He probably did not want any of it save for sentimental value. He could store it at the Lily or his Keep.

“We leave after the reading. That gives us all a chance to rest.”

“How will you attend as a unicorn?” she asked.

“I will think of something.” Lexi turned to the drake. “Welcome to our life. Is there a preference of a name or shall we give you one?”

Whatever you see fit to call me I will answer to. The reptilian features turned somewhat mischievous. As long as you can say it in polite conversation.

SO SLOBBERING DROOL MACHINE IS OUT. Winter threw back his head and cried a laugh while Lexi swatted his shoulder. Even Parker giggled a bit. HOW ABOUT HUNTER? A WOLF AND A DRAKE ARE BOTH HUNTERS.

Actually, I can take that name with pride, for we hunt the demon fiends that gave us these curses. It was settled then. Hunter would join their little traveling show. It would be interesting to watch them go. By night one would see two dragons and a griffin flying overhead. By day a unicorn and a wolf would be running side by side.

There came a muffled few words from the crook of Robin's arm. He set Parker down so he could repeat what he had said. “I was just wondering if I still have to ride double.”

“I can carry you,” offered Winter Heart. “Griffins were made to do that, you know.” Actually it was hippogriffs that were, but he did not think they would want to hear about that little distinction. Parker's face lit up. “I am larger than you are use to riding, but you will grow into the saddle.” Lexi looked on with a smile. Oh to be young again, to put aside grief for just a moment to find joy in anything. True, griffin riding would be fun, but Lexi would feel like he was taking advantage of the creature who was a man. Plus he had a flying steed, one he loved for more than just convenience or for his body. Robin caught those thoughts and smiled as he lumbered into the stable to rest after his hunt and flight.

* * *

Wini and Robin were there in Lexi's stead with signed and dated papers saying they had full authorization to receive and distribute any and all property in the wills to be given to him. “I do not allow this!” raged Frederick.

The magistrate in charge read over the papers thoroughly. “All is in order, Your Grace. As Prince Alexander's kin the Lady Winifred need not have this in depth of permission, but with it you cannot forbid her and the Bard Robin from acting in his stead during his grieving period.” Frederick could say nothing more for this magistrate had full say even above the King and he was merely King in Waiting. There were a few other nobles present to witness or receive something from the readings. It was being held in the Hall of Judgment to which Robin was not happy about, yet for this many nobles and witnesses it was here or the banquet hall. “Shall we be seated then?” Frederick sat with a loud harrumph and folded his robes across his lap. Wini and Robin sat with grace and poise that was noted by the witnesses. They at least knew the seriousness of the situation, but being the grandmother of the well loved prince, and his beloved, who would expect anything less? After some shuffling and muttering the magistrate broke the sealing wax on the wills and cast the spells to open them without harm to him. He looked over the Will of Ethan. “There is little to this will. All possessions the late Father Ethan could claim are to be donated to the monastery of the True God save for a small sum to be given to his brother Prince Alexander to hold as steward for Parker Potter when he reaches his majority.” Robin looked surprised. Had Ethan thought so much about Parker? Had he known the boy was soaking up all his sermons and lectures like a sponge and was seeing to his needs? Probably. “The sum is held in the treasury and will be given to the prince or whomever represents him upon the completion of the reading.” The money was the only shocker in that will, everyone knew that Ethan had given up most of his possessions to the crown when he became a full priest.

The magistrate opened Nathan's will and perused the page before reading. His expression was one of obvious puzzlement. “It reads 'I, Nathan of the house of the Swan, Second Prince to the throne of King Horatio, do give my worldly possessions thusly. To my youngest brother, Prince Alexander, my title to the orchards around the province of Trey and holdings within. To my second youngest brother Prince Travis I give a large collection of magical arms and weaponry given to me by my master in hopes that he may one day find the secrets to these lost arts. To my Priestly brother Ethan I will leave in his care a donation of twenty thousand gold crowns to use as he sees fit. To my eldest brother Frederick,” the named prince sat up higher, “I leave only my sorrow that he turned out to be such a git and sour man who will never appreciate what he gave up when he started listening to the foul bard Raven.'” Fred looked ready to kill Nathan had he not already been dead. More than one noble snickered at the look on Fred's face and Robin sent a silent prayer of thanks for that one last parting shot. “It continues saying 'Should any of my brother's perish before the reading of this will then their possessions from me will be given to the youngest first or any he sees fit. And lastly to the family nursemaid Tera I leave my thanks for the fond memories, my devotion to her stew even unto death, and ten thousand gold crowns. Perhaps she can start a kitchen to help feed those in need, Gods above know they would love her stew too.'” So Lexi was inheriting a very nice sum of money and land as well as the magical arms. “'All other assets are given to the crown to use to better the lives of her soldiers. To one other person I leave my sword. Use it well Parker.'” Frederick looked somewhat mollified to be getting something. Again Parker had gotten something from one of the princes. He could understand Nathan's gift of the sword, the lad was literally the last pupil the man had had and he was the one who would be guarding his youngest brother from harm

Travis's will was next. “This won't take long either. 'I give my lands to Wini so she can finally retire and get the hell out of the castle and relax.'” She looked shocked but it was not out of character for him to think of her since she was more his grandmother than his actual one who had died a year before he was born. “'To my brother Lexi I give the contents of the chest at the foot of my bed, the chest itself, and whatever he can fit into it from my library in the basement which is not property of the crown, Fred, so shut your yap and quit being a greedy git.'” Robin covered his mouth with his hand to stop a laugh from getting out. Not everyone was so lucky. Wini grinned and chuckled openly; she had no fear of Frederick or any retribution he could inflict upon her. “'Lastly I give to Parker Potter the contents of the cedar and silver chest in the library. May he use them with honor and dignity.'” Third prince to give something to him but this one was expected by anyone who really knew Trav. He was fond of Parker before he became Robin's man.

The last was the king's will which was thick and heavy with all the items he would be granting. It took the rest of the morning for the magistrate to read off the belongings in the Will. Finally around lunch time the will came to his sons. “'To Frederick I leave my crown should the Council vote him suitable for I find only one fault in him and that is loyalty, blind loyalty, to his family however distant they are. To Nathan I give the title of Grand Marshall if he has not already earned it, and the farmlands in Trey where he trained in his horse years.'” Which went to Lexi since Nathan had said it all went to his youngest brother still living. “To Father Ethan, my pride and joy whom I never really got to know, I make a donation to your monastery of one hundred thousand gold crowns.'” And unheard of sum and one Ethan would have been crying to receive. That money would go a long ways to help many people in need throughout the kingdom. Since it was not conditioned that he be alive the donation would still go to the church. “'To my wizardly son Travis I give one last lesson in magic. It is secreted behind a stone in his library behind the statue of Saint Brendon of Arensford. To my youngest, most cherished boy Alexander I leave my love and the wish that he will always be given his allowance as due to the youngest son of a king. Also the hope that his true love lasts well into his golden years.'” The king had known! He had known all along that he and Robin were meant for each other and he had not changed at all how he treated either. “'To the Bard Robin I leave the deed to a twenty acre piece of land adjacent to Hamlet-on-the-Lake near the Falls where I have hope he will one day build his dream and the title Baron of the Marches.'” Robin went ashen as he heard what was said. Him? A Baron? He would be nobility, almost anyway. The Marches part was given to one who was not born into the title which said he had earned it through valor. And the king had known of his dream, his quest past this one that needed to be finished? “'And one last item, to a small boy who never knew I knew he existed. To Parker Potter and his family I leave one thousand gold crowns and give over the service of his hand to Baron Robin for as long as they see fit to remain thusly. By my hand and seal, Horatio of the house of the Swan.'” Wini smiled at Robin who returned it. The Potters would be well taken care of for the next few years, longer since Parker's Father was a business man of great talent. Robin's heart felt lighter. The King had truly thought well of him and of their relationship. He had thought well of a boy who respected him far more than many of his most loyal subjects and got him out of the palace and into a life more suited to a boy who craved adventure and had a knack of getting out of sticky situations.

With the reading done Robin and Winifred left the castle proper and went to the the stables where Lexi was waiting to hear the details he could not pick up. No one stopped them, no one in their right mind would have because as soon as they left the castle three near legendary creatures were by their sides and glaring maliciously around. No guard would dare attack even had they not respected the bard and adored Wini. “An escort?” Robin asked Hunter.

An honor guard, Your Grace, Robin shook his head and chuckled. It would take quite some time to actually get use to being a baron. He knew nothing about being a noble past what he sang about in his tales and none of them were very noble in real life.

“Lead on then, good drake. How did you find out?” he asked with a broad grin.

A little bird told me. Robin laughed and patted the heavily muscled shoulder of the draconian.

“It will go to his head, this title,” commented Shelby gruffly but not unkindly.

Strange how the various parts of Robin's life were strung together. He had Lexi which meant he had Wini as a grandmother and his very distant Great Aunt Minerva as kin. Parker was his to care for, and vice verse, so that made the Potters his to care for, and vice verse. The staff at the Lily were all his friends and Tera treated him like a son. Then there were the former humans. Winter was very obviously attached to Lexi more so than him but the bird was fond of Robin as well. Shelby seemed to like Robin's company a bit more than Lexi's, but it was very obvious the turtler was more Parker's pet than theirs, if such a being was a pet at all. Hunter was equally fond of all of them, but he seemed to hold Robin in slightly higher esteem.

Even the gods liked them for who and what they were, what they could accomplish for those powerful entities.

Then there was a side of his life he should at least tell he was not dead. His own father would want to know he had not been captured by the Chasers, to know he was now kin to nobility from a enemy kingdom. He may even want to know about Lexi, to meet him. Yet that errand would be best if they waited until they got this curse taken care of.

When they entered the stables Lexi was on his feet and trotting over to hear the news. “Parker, you'll need to hear this too.” The boy swung down from the loft and landed in a pile of hay with a soft thud and came running over. “Okay. Lexi got nearly everything that was to be given out to his brothers.” Robin told him everything he would receive, including Trav's rather odd words.

Lexi played a little tune on his horn and his form shimmered before their eyes to that of an average sized feline with nine tails. He looked up at Robin and cat grinned as he said, My brother was ever the tricky man. Robin's jaw dropped and he had to be stabilized by Winter Heart before he fell over. I guess I forgot to mention this huh? He exuded mirth and Wini swatted at him.

“Shame on you for keeping this from him! I ought to throw you into the lake as you are for being such a beast.” Wini was only half serious. She would throw him in the lake but not as he was. She would wait until he was human.

Easy, Grandmother, I'm still not sure how to balance these tails. So I get more land, big deal. The chest will surprise you, Robin. Now why did the imp have to be here?

Robin squatted down to look him in the eyes before pulling out one part of his inheritance. “This was left to you by Prince Nathan.” Robin held out his sword and Parker stared at it with sorrowful awe. “It was his wish that his last pupil take it up to do his duty.” Robin belted it across the boy's back. In time he would wear it on his hip or back as he saw fit. “Also your service has been given to me, my first vassal as Baron of the Marches.” Lexi gasped and looked up at Wini to make sure he had heard right. “So I ask you, squire Parker, will you continue in my service or shall I release you of your oath of fealty?”

“I get a choice?” Robin nodded. “Then I'm going with you. How else can I be sure you are eating well and getting the care you need?” Robin laughed and hugged the boy to him. Gods above if he ever had a son let him be just like Parker! “Do I have to call you Your Grace now?”

“Gods above no! When I have fit myself into that role, maybe there will be a time, but that is many years off, little brother.” Robin picked the boy up and threw him over his shoulder. He scooped up Lexi and set him in the crook of his arm and pet him with the other hand. Immediately he began to purr. “You can come show me all of the things you want to bring from the library.”

Anything, just don't stop petting.

“Will you be staying, Wini?”

“No. I will be leaving soon after you do. With no one here to look after it is time I retired and relaxed.” She hugged Robin and stroked Lexi's fur a few times. “If you are ever in the neighborhood do come by and see me.” They nodded and she bowed out to go pack and arrange for the transport of her life to the coast where her new lands were. Her! With lands and the title of steward until she had held the lands for a year and then she would be Duchess Winifred of the house of Miller, Matriarch of the House.

Robin and the troupe walked in through the front of the castle like they owned the place and no one said anything about a griffin, a death snapper, a shield drake and a cat o' nine just waltzing in. There were a few armsmen who came over to say hello to the newest noble. “Beggin' yer pardon, yer Grace, but will ya be needin guards fer yer new place? Coupla guys here thinkin 'bout relocatin'.”

Lexi's head perked up. All the guys lined up were the same ones that had followed Frederick that night so long ago. They had long since proven their loyalty, but it struck him as a bit humorous. Robin smiled. “It's not built yet and I don't know when it will be, but if I ever do need guards I know the men to come to. And none of that Your Grace stuff. My only grace is in my lute and my saving grace is Lexi. Me? I'm just a musician.”

“What were you planning to build anyway?” another one asked.

“A library of music. There is not one in any lands I have traveled. By the grace of the God Sonoh I will live to see it completed and filled with every song I know.” They saluted and marched away.

Saving grace? Charrinda you have more grace in your pinkie than I have in my whole body. Robin and Lexi went back and forth on who had the most grace until finally Hunter spoke up and said HE had the most grace, being a priest. That had everyone laughing and nudging the drake good naturedly.

Their first stop was Trav's old rooms, but Lexi refused to enter. His ears dropped, his tails were not moving but fanned out and he radiated misery. Robin petted him a few times and set him on Winter's back. “The chest is the only thing in here for you and I can get that.” He pushed open the door and halted. He realized he had never been in Travis's chambers. Always he had met with him in his own, Lexi's or the library. He could see why.

The place was barren of any sort of comfort or personality. There were no rugs on the floors, no wall hangings, the hearth was spotlessly clean and had not been used in the last year if not longer. The window latches were stuck tight with unuse and the bed had a small layer of dust that had accumulated on it. It was a cold and feelingless place, totally against the man who had called this his room. No, he thought, this was where he slept when he had to. His room was the library. Robin went over, picked up the chest which was smaller than he had hoped for carrying anything of arcane value out of the library, and left the chill room. “This it?” he asked Lexi who nodded. Robin just closed the door and they left.

A few maids and butlers were startled by their passing, but no one screamed or called for the guards. Testament to how much they had come to know and trust Robin. “Is the young prince well, Your Grace?” asked a pretty and plump maid.

“He's taking all of this hard, Teressa. I'm doing what I can to make this easier on him.” She nodded and whisked away with the load of linens she was carrying. “You have many admirers, love.” He just nodded. Many people stopped them on their long route to the library to ask after him and how he was doing through all of this and a few even asked how Robin was taking this seeing how he was so close to the princes and the King was obviously fond of his music.

They got to the library and Robin set down the chest. He went specifically to the statue of Saint Bernard and searched for a stone that was loose. He found it and pulled it out. When he reached into the space something clamped on his hand and he felt a presence slam into his head. His thoughts were blasted apart as the presence rifled through his memories and thoughts looking for the reason he was reaching into a place he had to reason to reach into. When it found that he was here to get this because Travis was dead the presence receded somewhat in what seemed like sadness. It faded away when it found that the knowledge was to be given to his brother Lexi because that was Trav's wish. Robin staggered away with a book in his hand and sat heavily into a chair. Are you okay? He nodded.

“This was warded.” He held up the tome.

What is it? Lexi asked as the came padding over to rest a paw on his leg.

“The last thing your father wanted to give Trav.” Lexi nodded. “Do we take it?”

Yeah. Take everything. Every book, shelf, desk, item... everything. Robin looked at him and then looked at the chest. A pleased look flitted across the catlike features. Just do it. Robin stood and wobbled over to the chest and opened it. It was empty. He placed to book in the chest and he watched it vanish. How he enchanted it to hold a limitless amount of stuff I would love to know. A fleeting look of pain flickered in his eyes. There is so much I would like to know, so much I will ever be wanting to hear from him and now I never will. He slinked over to a corner and curled up. No one said a word, but Winter began humming a tune Robin could hear in his head. It had been in one of the music books he had found down here, one that was from another land. This one was designed to calm a person into a relaxed and almost trance like state. Yet again Winter had proven himself to have a gift similar to Robin's. Perhaps he had been a sonomagi before he was trapped in this curse.

Everyone went about and brought things to the chest only to watch them vanish within. Even things that were too big would slide in and be gone. Shelves went in as easily as books. Robin caught sight of one object that Parker was carrying. “Hey imp, that chest belongs to you. From Trav.” The boy looked a bit confused. “Yeah, everyone left you something.” The boy set it to the side and went back to work but every time he would pass the chest he would look at it or brush the top with his fingers.

An arc of electricity zapped across the room and crackled against the far wall. Everyone ducked or dove to the ground. Sorry! called Lexi from his corner. Damn tail magic!

“Say what?” asked Robin as he came over.

My tails each possess a different aspect of magic and I don't know which is which. That one, he said as he batted it with his paw, apparently uses storm magic. I just need to figure out which is which and then I can help out. Robin wanted to say that they were doing okay, but that would be cruel to Lexi and would rob him of a learning experience.

“Just don't use anything like death magic and we'll live.” The cat gave him a flat look with those blue eyes. The bard went back to work and tried to ignore the booms and bangs and the occasional “oops” that came from the corner.

“Seems like a very interesting way to learn magic,” said Winter Heart as he passed by.

“Without a teacher is there any other way?”

The griffin looked thoughtful and then shook his head. “No, I guess not. Just feels like he's doing it all wrong.”

“I've been wondering if you were a wizard or something. Could be why you were cursed, to remove a rival, or perhaps the three of you were in the same platoon during a battle.”

“I've never been in a battle, really. I know that. What makes you think that anyway?”

“Well, you and Shelby know each other, or at least you act like you do, and I'd bet anything he was a soldier with the way he took up a sword to go do battle rather than use his heavy claws or beak. Some priests travel with soldiers to offer healing and help when they can.” Robin put a large set of brass scales into the chest and went back for more from the desk he was packing.

“Huh. Your conclusion has merit, but I think I only caught one battle and that was at the end. Perhaps it was my first, and only battle. I know not.” He wandered off and came back with a large staff topped with a sapphire the size of a chicken egg and shaped like a faceted star. Robin wondered at that staff once and was told never to touch it or he would not enjoy the results. Had the wards died with Trav or did they know that with Travis dead the staff was free to choose a new owner? It had once belonged to Trav's master and it had passed to him when the man had died. Perhaps it knew when its wielder was gone and would choose a new one. Either way it was put into the chest with the rest of the stuff.

It took them well into the night to put everything in the chest. Robin was a big help in dragon form lifting the things too heavy for the rest such as the statues and a marble work table that was flawless in its finish except for one small chip taken out of the corner. It had held potion making kits and vials of what Robin knew was acid. Those were placed into a separate case that would not allow the glass vials to break during transport. Lexi finally was able to help and found many hidden places they would have overlooked and in them caches of magical items and strange things from a caged spider the size of a small dog to a gnarled, mummified hand that twitched every so often. “I would cast a magic detection spell but I would be blinded since the entire place is magical.” The prince looked around at the now barren place with a feeling of finality. He would never again be down here. This was his final goodbye to a brother he would forever miss. As they left he began casting spells of warding to keep people out of Trav's library. In time people would forget that it was here and then once all who were alive now were dead it would forever seal itself, preserving the memory of a man who had spent most of his life here, however short it was.

They did not tell anyone they were leaving. They simply went to the south pasture and retrieved all of their belongings from the loft. Lexi even went to his room and took all of his things from there. Once done Lexi tied the chest to the backseat of the saddle and helped Parker into the saddle that they had adapted for Winter Heart. It would do for now until they could get to Hamlet-on-the-Lake. They had one stop to go before then.

When a dragon lands in the square of a small town everyone panics. Robin found this out the hard way that night. There were screams of women and children as they ran for cover and the few soldiers that were there drew arms before they saw who it was. THAT REALLY GETS ANNOYING. I MEAN HONESTLY, WHEN WAS THERE A DRAGON HERE LAST, HMM? The words made the armsmen lower their weapons.

“Your Grace, you scared the bejeezers outta us.” Robin chuckled.

“He's just used to being around the castle.” They saluted and told everyone who had come to call on their town. Although they were still scared it was much less and a few of them even came over to apologize for overreacting.

THE FAULT IS MINE. I FORGET THAT I AM A DRAGON AND NOT EVERYONE IS ACCUSTOMED TO MY DASHING GOOD LOOKS. They knew him well enough here to know he was no danger. The strange procession went to the Potter's residence and Parker went inside to say his goodbyes. Robin poked his head in. I WOULD COME IN, BUT I WOULD NOT FIT THROUGH THE DOOR. The potter chuckled a bit and then looked down at his son.

“Da, I'm Robin's man now. He's a Baron and I'm going with him.”

The man's shoulders sagged a bit but he nodded. He knew what that meant and while he would not want to see his son leave, to possibly die in his service to the crown through Robin, the potter knew his son would be as protected as they could make him and would get that great adventure he always wanted. “Then I know you will be in the best of hands. I will not lie to you my son. I will worry myself gray until the day you come home for a visit.” He looked over at Robin and Lexi. “You lead a dangerous life, Your Graces, and hope you will remember he is just a boy.”

“How can we forget it? We've been trying to keep him out of most of this, but he just pokes his nose in anyway.” Parker stomped his foot in protest. “But before we leave Robin has something he wishes to give to you.”

Robin reached in and set a large bag on the table. THIS COMES FROM HIS MAJESTY KING HORATIO. IT WAS HIS LAST WILL THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE THIS AND MY BELIEF HE KNEW WHAT HIM PASSING PARKER'S OATH TO ME WOULD MEAN. IT WILL NEVER BE A SUFFICIENT THING IF ANYTHING EVER HAPPENS TO HIM, BUT IT WILL COVER ANY LOST WAGES HE MAY HAVE BROUGHT HOME. Adam Potter opened the bag and stared at the gold. It was a large sum to anyone even someone who would make that in ten years which was nearly unheard of.

“The King? Never once has he even graced my shop. Why would he do this?” He was so dumbfounded that his mouth just sagged open.

“My Father knew what loyalty lay within Parker. Not to the crown, but to my Father. He knew it when Parker killed a man to protect his liege. He was a younger boy then. Such unasked for loyalty could only be learned beginning at home. My Father knew that Parker would go to any lengths to protect a man he had been placed under, even if he had to kill a friend to do it. This would be his way of saying thank you for raising such a noble son.” Adam just stared like Lexi had spoken gibberish. It was such a foreign concept that any noble, especially the King, would notice anything any commoner would do and reward it so generously.

“I am most honored by the house of the Swan.” He bowed deeply.

“Adam, you honor us with the way the you raised Parker.” Lexi returned the bow with as much sincerity and solemnity as Adam. It was a returning of equality, one man to another despite caste and birth. Had it not been for love Lexi would have been born a commoner and had it not been for love Parker would not be the boy he was.

When they left Lexi was very quiet. He climbed onto Robin without thinking and forgot to buckle himself in. Parker saw the familiar look on his face and buckled him in. Robin caught the boy's eye and he smiled and shook his head to say it would be okay once he thought about what had gotten stuck in his brain. Hunter helped the boy onto the griffin's back and only a moment later they were flying over the town with Parker waving to those he would be leaving behind for who knows how long...if he ever came back. When going up against a wizard who dealt with demons life was ever a fickle thing.

Copyright © 2014 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 3
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There is amazing amount of material in this chapter, so much so that it should be

divided into two chapters: one about the powers of the stones, and the other about

the reading of the will and results. I'm happy for Parker, a little sad for the others.

We have new characters to replace those who died. Is that coincidence, or magic?

Who are they/were they? Will we ever find out?

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..