Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 8,912 Words
  • 2,464 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Bard and the Prince - 7. Chapter 7

Trav opted to go on ahead and make sure they knew not to attack the red dragon. No one it seemed had believed the tale, but Travis was not given to flights of fancy so they needed to start believing in something that was supposed to be long extinct. The only person who was not told immediately was Wini who would try her best to counter the spell. She, Trav knew, was exceptional at defensive spells and counterspells, but this was way out of her league. Not even the two of them together could counter this.

The King was there when Robin and the rest walked stiffly through front gates. There were many armsmen with bows trained on the dragon and Robin almost turned right back around and left. BAD ENOUGH I HAVE TO BE STUCK IN THIS FORM, BUT I WILL TURN AROUND AND LEAVE IF YOU KEEP THOSE DAMNED BOWS ON ME ANY LONGER AND FORGET ALL I OWE TO THIS FINE FAMILY. His voice came out as an angry hiss and his eyes would have been shooting fire if they could have.

“Lower your bows,” Lexi barked.

No one moved. “My apologies,” said the king. “They are only being cautious because I insisted I be here to greet you.” It was not much of a greeting but Robin understood the need for caution. He also understood the King's reasoning. Robin needed to be openly greeted or else someone may take it into their heads to try and kill him. “Robin, I am told this...affliction has cycles.”

Not a bad cover story, Trav. YES, YOUR MAJESTY. I AM AS YOU SEE ME DURING THE NIGHT ONLY...AT LEAST SO FAR. WE...WERE SET UPON BY SOME FORCE UNKNOWN WHILE WE WERE TRAVELING THROUGH THE WOODS LAST NIGHT JUST BEFORE SUNDOWN AND THIS MORNING I CHANGED BACK TO A HUMAN FORM. The king nodded. IF IT IS YOUR WISH I CAN STAY IN HIDING FROM SUNSET TO SUNUP.

“As prudent as that is, I will not ask this of you. It would be cruel and petty to even ask. You have been a very welcome guest here and a credit to your late Master. I would not insult you this way. As you seem to be in control of your mental faculties I will trust to a bit of discretion though.” The king was doing all that he could to keep Robin calm and was going to lengths to let him know he was still welcome. It meant a lot to both him and Lexi that the King was on their side in this struggle when he could just order Robin killed or gone or imprisoned.

SO NO POPPING OUT OF THE MOAT AND SCARING NIGHT TRAVELERS... GOT IT. The King chuckled, glad to see that the spark he admired in the man had not died completely. That would have been too much.

“I believe the south stables can be used as a night time resting place if you wish to maintain a daylight schedule. Since my son seems in good shape, other than a bloodied nose and a few cuts, I believe it is safe to lower your weapons.” He did not ask where he got them meaning Frederick had snitched. The armsmen did so reluctantly and Robin gave a deep bow to the king. “I do hope to see you at morning meals and if your spirits are not dampened a song now and then.”

A BARD DRAGON...IT COULD BE LUCRATIVE. IF THE SOUTH STABLES ARE TO BE A REFUGE I ASK THAT NO ONE EXCEPT PRINCE ALEXANDER, PRINCE TRAVIS AND PARKER COME THERE. I KNOW THEM WELL AND TRUST THEM. I MAY NOT ALWAYS BE IN CONTROL, THIS IS STILL VERY NEW TO ME. After a pause he smiled. It looked like he was snarling, but his eyes made all the difference. MAYBE WINI, BECAUSE I DOUBT I COULD STOP HER FROM DOING ANYTHING. Plus this gives Lexi a place to hide out when he was not human. He could either sleep undisturbed or move around a bit so he did not get bored.

“I agree with your caution and I am glad you are willing to meet me halfway.” King Horatio was very glad, because there was no doubt that even this dragon could wreak havoc if angered. He doubted it would come to that as long as Robin was in control of his own mind and body, but a red dragon was a true danger. “Your rooms are still open to you.”

I THANK YOU, MAJESTY.

“Do not thank me. You took this curse from someone trying to strike at this family and I will not turn my back own your bravery and honor. Now, I believe you may want some privacy. It is almost sunup.” He nodded and turned on his heel and strode back into the castle proper. Most of the guards left, but a few stayed.

One stepped forward. He had been one who had attacked him out on the plains. Robin looked at him evenly and knew what he was going to say before he even opened in his mouth. He could smell it. “Bard Robin...there is no forgiveness for what we did.” His very posture, tone, and even scent said he was ashamed of how they reacted even with the Crown Prince so obviously out of his mind.

PERHAPS NOT, BUT THERE IS UNDERSTANDING. I MUST LOOK VERY INTIMIDATING TO NORMAL PEOPLE. Robin turned and walked as calmly as he could because he could feel hundreds of eyes on him. Lexi and Parker went to stable the horses and then joined him.

The south stables were used only during breeding season which would not start for a few more months and it was set far enough from the main pastures that no one would bother him. The straw was old and it was a bit musty, but it would be fine for both of them when they wanted to use it. “Imp, sometime after you wake up can you get Wini and move Robin's stuff to the loft? And some of mine secretly?”

“Yes, Lexi. I could start now.”

“No, you need to eat and then take a nap in a real bed.” He sent the boy on his way and went over to one of the empty stalls and pulled off his clothes.

Robin was settling into the first stall, the one easiest to get into and the most obvious one he would choose. No one would check the back stall at all when it was obvious he used the first. He watched as Lexi disrobed and he had to admit, he did have a well sculpted body. Lexi must have felt him staring because he shook his bare backside at him. CUTE. Lexi laughed and leaned on the divider wall.

“Robin, I need to sleep and I think I'll try it horse style. Can you bring me something a horse could eat for breakfast when you come back?” He nodded and settled down for the change as the sky was rapidly lightening. “I do love you, Robin, no matter your form.”

AND I YOU, MY Charrinda. It felt silly and exhilarating at the same time to say that. Even to a bard they were just stories because it was almost impossible to tell them from any other couple that were devoted to each other. To meet a pair was song worthy. To be part of a pair was to be part of history. Charrinda always seemed to be part of the main struggles of history because through it all their love would endure and keep them strong.

Was it this hard for them? Robin thought. They could hold each other and be intimate with each other, but Robin may never reach that level of comfort if his beloved could not even hold him, could not press his lips to his as they had only that once just before his pendant burned his chest. LEXI? DID YOU RECOVER MY PENDANT?

“Parker grabbed it, why?”

BECAUSE IT HAD BURNED RIGHT BEFORE I CHANGED THE FIRST TIME. He felt it was important but he was so tired he could not imagine why it was.

The sun came up. The change gripped them in its grasp and let go only when it was done. The changes were taking less and less time and hurt less and less. Robin stood shakily and walked to the back stall to be with Lexi for a few moments before he went to eat. “You do make a very handsome unicorn.” He put his arms around his neck and placed a kiss on his soft nose. The flute trill was full of longing and knowing this would be the best they could do for maybe a long time.

“Robin?” Parker called from the entrance. “I have your clothes and Wini is bringing another load soon.”

“Thanks imp. I know Lexi asked you to do it after you slept, but I will forgive you if you do take at least a nap. Set out something for me if you could and leave the rest by the door and I'll put it up in the loft after breakfast.” He stroked the muscled neck of the unicorn as he let his head droop from weariness. “Sleep well, my love.” He left the last stall and pulled on the very simple clothes he found laid out. Prudent because they were still not sure if he would change in the middle of the day and these were nothing fancy he could break out of. He ran into Wini on his way out and she rushed him back in.

“Where is my grandson?” She was leveling a weapon at his face...her finger. How women mastered the Finger Of Death was beyond him. They also had the Finger's of Accusation, Warning, Poking, Tickling and several others he could not think of with the Death in his face.

“He's most likely asleep by now, Wini.” She looked ready to tear the kingdom apart. There was something about her that he felt now, something that was akin to Trav. Could she be a minor wizard? That could be why Lexi had such diverse skills, he had mage-blood from both sides.

“Where? He's not in his room.”

“My Charrinda sleeps in the last stall and grandmother or no, if you disturb him now we will have words.” He fixed her with a steady stare that seemed to rock her to her core. Where had the Robin she knew gone? He had been so nice, so sweet and fair to all and would never had done this with this much...force. Then she caught the second word and smiled. In fact she seemed just as happy as they were about it. Why?

“Are you? Really? I am so happy for the both of you. Is he that tired?” The Finger was gone now, replaced by a woman who wanted to hear all the gossip. Robin gave her a brief account of what had happened, including the parts the king did not know. Wini had more right to know in Robin's opinion because she could broach the subject to the king more tactfully than they ever could, and Lexi was her last surviving blood kin. She looked ready to hunt the rogue wizard herself and slit his throat. From his point of view she could do it just by sheer anger. And the Finger.

“We seem to be getting better after a shift. I think the reason he is so tired is for normal reasons. You know...assassins, running for your life, trying to kill a brother, that sort of thing.” Her look said it was not funny at all. “Wini, may I ask a favor?” She nodded. “I am not the same person who left two weeks ago.” She could tell that quite easily. “I find thought patterns I've never thought about in my head, I'm cursed into dragon form every night, I turn seventeen tomorrow, and I come to find out the love of my life is a man and he's sharing my curse. Can you just accept the bad jokes for a while, until I figure out who I am becoming?” He sounded so pitiful, so wrung out that she could not refuse him.

She smiled and patted his cheek. “Of course, Robin. I'm being forgetful in my worry for my only grandchild that I overlook you own sorrows. You need to hold onto part of the old you.” He gave her a winning and grateful smile. “You know, were I forty years younger and you not destined for Lexi I would charm you and steal you away just for that smile.”

“My Lady, who says you could not still?” He kissed her cheek.

She laughed and blushed. “Where do you want these?”

“By the door is fine, I'll take them up to the loft after breakfast.” He skipped out and went to breakfast, an ordeal he really did not wish to go through. He knew that the Crown Prince would be there and Robin would love nothing more than to see the effect of dragon fire on his cruel and pompous ass.

Thankfully the prince was not there, but Nathan was, a first in Robin's memory. He usually ate with the guard and then shadowed the King. That was why he was here, he was acting as an inconspicuous guard...like the twenty other ones Robin smelled hiding in the halls and two nicely concealed passages were obvious to his now keen senses. He decided to not call the king on it, he may not even know they were there. “Ah, there is the young man we know. Join us.”

Robin sat on the other side of Nathan, which put him between the King and Robin. This was not lost on the quiet man and he gave the bard a respectful and gracious nod. “How is Alexander?” he asked in that strange voice.

“He is exhausted. The last two days and nights have been hard on him. Parker too. I find myself in a quandary with him.” Might as well get this out of the way. Lexi had told him what may happen.

“How so?” asked King Horatio.

“I am sure you were given a full account of last night.”

“A shame to lose a man like that. The boy...Parker right? He was only protecting you as is his duty, but he should not have had to do that. He will not be punished by me or anyone under me.” Robin visibly relaxed. Horatio could sympathize with the bard, but a boy who had duty pounded into his head from birth could not be held accountable for doing his duty. Had he been older the King would have found it difficult to so easily pardon the boy. Law is Law.

“That's the thing, Your Majesty. He punishes himself. I don't know what to do about it.” It was nice to hear the king would do nothing to harm a lad Robin was seeing as a combination of little brother and son. It was one less worry on his mind because murder, even in self defense of ones life, of a royal guard could be punishable by death by decapitation.

“Give him to me,” said Nathan. That sounded ominous. “I'll teach him dagger and sword when he grows into one. That way, he is seen as being favored by three princes of the house, four if you count Ethan, and is receiving training in the use of weapons, a skill he should start soon anyway. Individual training.” Nathan's solution offered a bit of everything, both punishment and praise. “He will hate me by the end of the first week for I will not go easy on him.” Robin grinned ruefully. He remembered the bruises Nathan had given him vividly.

“Thank you, son, that is an excellent notion. Can you spare him for a few hours a day?” the King asked of Robin. The king could order it, but he did not like to use his authority when it was much easier to simply ask.

“For this, yes. I'm cranky when I change so it is best if he avoids me in the earliest hours, if that is good for you, Your Grace.” Nathan nodded. It would be good because he was an early riser and it would be far easier to introduce this as part of a new routine if it did not conflict with his other duties.

Trav came schlepping in looking like he had not slept at all last night. He probably had not either. “Son, you look like pan fried hell.”

“Funny, Father, since I feel it. I have yet to find a single way that this spell could be altered to be a curse. I would suspect demonic interference if I would have not felt if one was here in the realms.” He stared at his eggs for a moment and then picked up his fork as if this were as daunting a chore as his search for a counter. It might be to him. He wanted so badly to find a cure that he hated wasting time for something so mundane as eating.

“If any could find it, you will Prince Travis. I have seen you in that library. You know it as I know the lute.” The weary prince smiled slightly. Then he began to wolf down the food and in less than a minute he was done and leaving. The King did not comment but he did look worried. One thing Robin liked about King Horatio was that he cherished each of his sons and supported their course in life. Only Frederick had little say in how his went. Perhaps that is why he was such a sour man. “He works too hard.”

“He does but it his work that gives him such passion.” Robin knew that.

When breakfast was over Robin was heading back out to the stable when Nathan caught up to him. “Robin, we are not as close as you are to my youngest brothers but I would ask you a favor.” For a moment he was without speech. It only lasted a moment.

“This sounds rare.” He nodded. Nathan was not a man to ask for anything unless he absolutely could not do it himself. “If it is in my power to do this then yes.”

“You have a way with your music I can only see as magical. Could you put Trav to sleep for a few hours?” His plea was so heartfelt that Robin would have drugged the wizard to sleep if that was the only way to fulfill this favor.

“How long?”

“Until he learns he is not all powerful and needs sleep.”

“Not even I can put him to sleep for eternity.” This got a very small twitch of a smile. “I'll do it after I'm done in here.”

“Thank you.” He looked like he wanted to say something but felt it was not his place.

“Say whatever is in your mind, Nathan. If you wish to be as close as the three of us are then know that I prefer it to secrets. Blunt truth can be forgiven, lies cannot.”

“Don't hurt my brother. He's not had good luck with his choices in his...loved ones. I believe you will be different than the last, but I must ask.” That was blunt.

Gods above everyone did know if Nathan saw it. This was starting to be a very big shift in his life. He finds out he is in love with a man, getting hunted by assassins, cursed, and now Nathan is seeing to the heart of a matter that Robin had not even seen coming. The sky would then turn purple and rain lemon drop candies. “I love him, Nathan. I never want to hurt him although I know that things I may do could.”

“You understand. I will not bother you any longer.”

He turned to leave when Robin stopped him saying, “Nathan you seem like a man who understands privacy.” The prince nodded solemnly. Robin motioned him to follow. “What you are about to know is for Wini to tell the King. She's the only one with the tact to do so.” Nathan nodded. They entered the stable and made their way to the last stall where Lexi was asleep on his feet. His coat shone even in the dim stable with a healthy sheen, and his horn quite literally glowed a soft pearly light. Nathan's mouth fell open in wonder. “He's beautiful, isn't he?” He could only nod as he swallowed the lump in his throat. He had never seen so beautiful a creature. “Charrinda, wake up.” The head came up slowly and when he looked out at the world with those stunning blue eyes even Nathan saw it immediately.

“Lexi?” he breathed out. The unicorn fixed him with one of those eyes and he nodded. “How is this possible?”

“He shares this curse during the day. That's why it has cycles.” Robin saw it coming and did nothing to prevent it. He took a full body punch to the jaw and it rocked him back quite a few steps until he landed amid the old hay. Lexi whinnied and blasted a harsh note at Nathan and leaped to get between them, but Robin held up his hand. “Let him get it out now, Lexi, or it will fester and he will never trust me again.” He got to his feet. His lip was oozing blood and he wiped it away with the back of his hand. Before Nathan's eyes the gaping cut scabbed over and sealed shut. Such a minor cut was nothing to a dragon, even a human cursed into one. “I will not fight back, Nathan. He is your brother and I'm surprised I lived through Wini this morning. She leveled the Finger at me.”

Once that initial outburst was done with he seemed to be much calmer. At least he did not attack Robin again. “How did this happen?” Robin told him everything he told Wini and then some. He added the near death and return to life for only one reason. “And that reason currently is looking to run me through with his horn?” Robin nodded. Nathan was not stupid. He knew more than he let on, always had. He knew tales of people who came back from the dead to be with their loved ones and always those tales ended in a good way. “The Six? I'll ask the agents to keep as much tabs on them as possible. This makes this more than just a plot on you, Robin. And why you?”

“That is the thousand gold question.” Robin told him everything. How he came to be here in Lycenia, their running story, the Cat Chasers. “Does it sound like it could be an agent in Rendol?”

“No. There is no way for them to know where you are. You're not being tailed, or our own tails would have seen it in the first week.” Robin snorted his chagrin at being followed without knowing. He should have guessed, it was what he would have done in their boots. “I will look into this as quietly as I can. Lexi, if you ever need to talk...any time you can come to me.” It touched him deeply that Nathan was opening up like this because they had never been close and he always treated him with the respect due to a brother, but nothing approaching fondness. They had always had the understanding that they would never be close, there relationship was one of comrades in arms or very distant relatives you cared for simply because they were your kin. He stepped forward and laid his head on Nathan's broad shoulder. It was the closest thing they had ever had to a hug. The stoic prince reached up and patted the thick neck with something that was almost a smile. “I will let you rest.” He left before he gave away more of his feelings than he ever wanted to.

“That is the most shocking thing about all of this.” Robin fed Lexi a bushel of apples and had brought some of the oatmeal with honey. It made him trill with glee. “Go back to sleep, love.” He nodded and was soon snoozing on his feet again. Robin organized what he had in the loft and saw they had brought everything but the paintings and the bed.

He found the pendant he had made and saw the the stone was cracked and a few pieces were missing. The casing was even charred and what can char gold? Why had this reacted the way it did? It was condensed vapor, not stone. Why should it react to a curse this way? And come to think of it his scales were the color of the stone. Had this affected his change? There were just too many questions and no answers. None that he had anyway.

Robin decided to make good on his promise to Nathan and he might even get some answers while he was there. He grabbed his lute and went to the one place he would find Trav. The library had not changed since he was here last, not that it should have since he had only been gone two weeks physically. “I don't have time to help you with a spell, Robin.” He was pouring over a thick tome with dozens more scattered about. He would look at one and cross reference it with two more before he would write one word and a nearly blank scroll.

“I'm not here for a spell, just a few answers you may have and to keep in practice.” He tuned his lute and sat in the stool he used when Trav went off on one of his many tangents.

“Ask, but don't expect a fast answer.” Robin began to play very softly so as not to break his concentration and get kicked out. He was also putting only the barest hint of power into it, hopefully too subtle for Trav to pick up in his focused state.

“Lexi showed me the fountain. I made this from one of the stones.” Robin held it up and Trav's eyes flicked to it for the briefest of moments.

“The stone is cracked.”

“It cracked when this curse was placed on us.” Travis stopped his scribbling and turned to look closer. He moved quickly over to closely inspect the stone. His brow pulled down in thought.

“I have seen this grain...” he mumbled and was gone in a flash only to return with a strange box. Inside, for there was no lid, lay a chess set, each piece had carved with golden or silver bases. They were all swans, the house sigil, and could easily be distinguished because of the different poses and ornaments for each piece although there no two similar gems. “I was right. This set was made two hundred forty-six years ago, a gift from some elven lord to the house as a thanks for some act of kindness. Most of the details have been recorded somewhere in here but I remember that much.

“Look closely at the grain.” Trav was pointing out the odd almost curving layers. “No other stone has ever matched these until you showed me that.” Robin nodded his understanding and began to put a bit more into the feeling of lethargy and tiredness. He was not playing anything obviously a lullaby, but that was because it was not a lullaby. It was random chords he had strung together as an exercise to keep his skills sharp, a ditty he usually played twice as fast. Playing it this slow was almost like playing a lullaby. “I know these pieces were spelled to never break. Perhaps this fountain is where gems for spell casting come from. Gods above know they are very rare.”

“Did you notice one other fact?” Trav looked at him and his eyes were getting a little droopy. “The stone I was wearing is the exact shade of my scales. The pendant had burned me as I was waking up from my bout with death...I'll have to write that down...Anyway. Only a few heartbeats later,” Robin's eyes got moist, “after Lexi's and my first, and only, kiss I was the dragon. With that exact coloration down to the small swirl pattern of brighter red.”

Trav nodded his understanding. “May I have this to study?” Robin gave it to him and Travis went and sat in his chair to continue taking his notes. His head started to nod and only a few breaths later his head was on the desk and he was snoring softly. Once asleep Robin knew he could stop playing. He went over and looked over the tomes that the wizard had been searching through. All of them were words of power, Robin had seen enough to know the phonetics by now, and Trav appeared to be trying to find a counter spell by crafting it. He had two words in that tight script of his. For all of his intensive study he had two words of a spell Robin knew would not work. He looked the word up and found that this spell was making out to be something else yet those two words had everything to do with them.

Robin left the wizard there and went searching the stacks for more books he could use. There was a part of him now that he did not understand, some beast inside that had probably always been there but had been dormant until now. Now...it was biding its time until sunset when it would emerge to once again try and rule his thoughts. Robin went to the reference section and pulled down the book on dragons. Using another desk, Robin opened the first book and began to read.

* * *

Robin made it back to the stable with only moments to spare and out of his boots and shirt, but the pants were rags by the time he was done changing. “Robin are you okay?” Lexi asked as he was slipping on his own clothes. He noticed the lesser pain and was glad.

YES, JUST CUT IT VERY CLOSE. I NEED SOME WAY TO TELL WHEN SUN SET IS SO I DON'T GET CAUGHT UNAWARES. He opened the stall door and lumbered to his beloved's cubby. He tilted his head one way and tried to focus.

“Why are you staring at me like I was an illusory picture?”

TRYING SOMETHING. I READ DRAGONS CAN SEE IN SOMETHING CALLED THE INFRARED SPECTRUM. THEY CAN SEE HEAT PATTERNS. Lexi nodded his understanding and laced up his boots.

“Well, time to go to supper. Do you want anything?” The dragon shook his head and gave the man a chin to forehead lick. His tongue was alternately raspy but slick, like lightly iced over stone. “That is enough of that. Your tongue is not something that should come in contact with anything unless you want to strip the flesh from it.” He was smiling and rubbing the spot.

I'M NOT SORRY, said the bard with a gaping grin. He turned his head a fraction of a second before Lexi did and Wini came in to fetch Lexi for supper. YOU DO TASTE VERY GOOD. He whispered this as quietly as possible and in Lexi's ear. The man flinched as chills jumped down his spine.

“Your father is wondering where you are. I have told him that you feel Robin needs someone around that can recall to him his true self once he changes. That will excuse your tardiness.” She smiled at the two of them. “Even like this I can see the love you two have. I am glad that it is so strong else this would be a very hard time for a relationship.”

“Grandmother, just say what you really mean.”

“If either of you gives up on the other I will personally box your ears, claws or horn won't stop me.” They smiled and gave each other a look like that would never happen. She wondered as she stared at them how this curse was placed. The caster must have had very intimate knowledge of them to even get this far with a spell like this. “Are you two lovebirds done?”

“Yes Grandmother,” they both said with impish grins. Could a dragon look impish? This one sure did.

COULD YOU LET THE GUARDS KNOW I WILL BE WORKING ON FLYING? I'LL BE AROUND HERE, BUT I DON'T WANT TO BE SHOT DOWN IF I DO HAPPEN TO GET AIRBORNE. He was hoping to learn very quickly because the books said dragons were flying within days of their births. He had a lot of catching up to do if he ever ran across another dragon. There had to be at least one more somewhere in the world. He was aware that there was a severe decline of dragons, not that they had really been prominent for the past two hundred years. Either they were being hunted to extinction, a strong possibility, or they were on the wane because their time was coming to a close. Such things went in cycles, Mother Nature moving on to newer ideas.

Once Robin was alone he went out into the night and the middle of the south pasture. No one was around, by now every person in the castle should know that he was back here. The only ones who might come were the few children who wanted to see what a dragon really looked like. They would slip away from their keepers and sneak down here to peek, the boys daring the smallest one to run up and touch him while he was resting. Robin was ready for that.

He slowly opened his huge sail like wings, the thin membrane unfolding easily and it felt good to him to get them to their full extension. From nose to tail he was close to twenty-five feet long and his wingspan was over fifty feet. He had read that he may get as long as fifty feet with a nearly one hundred fifty foot wingspan. That was a few years off if at all. He closed his eyes to think about exactly which muscles were being used to hold the wings up and extended. It seemed the chest muscles were modified to support the huge shoulder and neck muscles, he could feel it all across his chest. A stray breeze stirred and he gasped at the almost erotic feeling of bliss that came when it caressed his wings. Gods above no wonder dragons loved to fly!

Robin gave a few lazy flaps to get used to moving the wings and get his blood pumping. He would soon get used to this, but this flapping business was complex right now. There were four joints in each wing and each one affected how he flew so he had better get used to just moving one or two at a time. Concentrating, Robin began his slow isolation of each joint and it took him an hour for each wing to find the right parts to move each section independently of the rest. This would all come naturally and instinctual to a dragon whelp, but he was sixteen and could not trust any instincts yet. Conscious thought became habit and habit became instinct.

The moons were sitting just above the tree line when he figured he could try to get off the ground. He began to flap those massive wings faster and his front half got off the ground before he had to set back down. He was too heavy, his wing muscles too weak yet. He kept it up just to strengthen them and stopped when he could not even extend the wings anymore.

Robin heard three sets of footsteps and crouched to look in that direction. Without thinking that heat vision kicked in and he could see three small red blobs that slowly came into focus as his mind translated what he saw into some sort of visual picture. The entire world was shades of red, blue and green. The hotter the object the brighter and more red.

Robin relaxed and sniffed. Parker had brought two other kids with him and Robin had to shake his head. It might be better to get this over with just so he did not have to worry about it later. YES, IMP? Parker was used to his voice and the uncanny way he knew when it was Parker and not someone else. The other two jumped.

“I have brought some people to see you, if you do not mind.”

I WILL NOT EAT THEM THIS TIME, BUT ONLY THIS ONCE. He knew Parker could hear the joke in his tone, but the others seemed to break out in sweat. COME, YOUNGLINGS, I WON'T EAT YOU. IF PARKER THINKS YOU ARE WORTH ME MEETING THEN I WILL TRUST HIM. The children came into view of normal sight and his eyes adjusted automatically. Robin had seen the kids around the castle and knew that the young lady was the granddaughter of the seamstress and the lad was studying to become a scribe. He had never learned their names because they would not encounter him except by chance. AH. I SEE A YOUNG LADY IS AS BRAVE AS ANY LAD...PERHAPS BRAVER IF ALL YOU BROUGHT WAS TWO.

“Bard Robin, this is Rachel and Hector. They were the only ones willing to come.” So the imp had known he would get visitors and had felt them out ahead of time. The boy was always full of surprises, so he should not be surprised.

GOOD. THE LESS PEOPLE THE BETTER. He turned to the boy, a thin lad close to ten years old. HECTOR, HOW ARE YOUR STUDIES GOING?

The boy was wide eyed and smelled both afraid and awed. “Good, Bard Robin. Masterscribe Walter has hopes that I will make a full scribe one day.” Robin had met the master of course and a drier personality he had never encountered. Robin liked the challenge of making inks and had asked the scribe to give him a few pointers...big mistake. The man's voice was like the drone of a huge bumble bee and he was very long winded. How anyone could stay awake while he was teaching he did not know.

GOOD, AND RACHEL, THE SHAWL THAT YOU MADE FOR WINI IS LOVELY. PERHAPS YOU COULD GIVE ME A FEW LESSON WHEN I CAN FIT INTO A ROOM? He gave them a smile.

“Y...yes, B...Bard R...r...r...Robin.” Wow, she was either more frightened than she smelled and looked or that was one bad stutter. Robin settled down and crossed his forelegs in an nonthreatening pose hoping to put them more at ease. It did not change them one whit. Oh well, he was comfortable now.

The children stayed for a few more minutes, and with their curiosity satisfied went off to bed. The dragon shook his head fondly and headed to the stable for his own rest. Flying would be very tiring work until he built up the muscles and endurance. Lexi was there with a book to keep him occupied. Robin grinned as he looked at the title. A collection of children's stories about unicorns. “Were you able to get airborne, Charrinda?” he asked without looking up.

NO. I NEED TO WORK UP TO THAT. I CAN GET MY FRONT HALF UP, BUT THE TAIL IS TOO HEAVY. THAT WAS NOT AN OPENING FOR A JOKE EITHER. He settled into the straw at Lexi's feet and laid his huge head in his lap. The prince began to absentmindedly caress the heavy brow ridge above those eerie eyes. He scales were very smooth, not at all like Lexi thought, and had a hard edge that would cut if he rubbed the wrong way. Robin's eyes drifted shut and a deep almost inaudible rumble came from deep in his chest.

“Feel good, Charrinda?” the prince asked, knowing it full well. While Robin was good at reading Lexi's thoughts, Lexi was better at the emotions now. He could feel the overflow of bliss coming from the dragon and it filled him with contentment. He was so worried that he could never be intimate with Robin, unable to show him how much he loved him, that this closeness was a blessing.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO SHOW ME, Charrinda, I CAN FEEL IT. Robin was falling asleep fast, a luxury he had not had for the past few days. He was on his last dregs of energy and knew he would soon start to snap at people...maybe literally if they caught him in dragon shape.

“You feel tired. Rest and I'll wake you before sunup.” Robin nodded a bit and sighed, falling asleep to the gentle touch of his beloved. It was enough to just be there, enough for both. It may not be what they really wanted, but it was enough.

* * *

Lexi was grazing at the edge of the woods surrounding the south pasture, the afternoon sun baking his withers, when Travis transported in. Lexi had known it was him, the feel of the magic was very familiar, and did not even look up. “Do you know what that bard did?” he asked in way of greeting. Lexi played a negating few notes. It startled the wizard. “How did...no!” He yelled, rerailing the train of thought that had almost been derailed by the surprise. “That bard spelled me to sleep.” Lexi looked up and nodded. “You knew?” The flat look was a very Lexi trait. “Of course you did. I need to work on this curse and he puts me to sleep! Me!” Now the real reason came out. Travis had formidable defenses against magic and a partially trained wilder had put him to sleep with little trouble and without his knowing at the time. “I just now woke up.” That made Lexi nod in admiration. It had been almost a full day since Robin had done it. It was an impressive feat. “What are you doing out here anyway?”

Lexi looked at him like he was stupid. Then he stuck out his grass covered tongue. “Oh. Eating? Wait...eating? Grass? Gross much?” Lexi shook his head. It was actually like eating fresh greens... “Should I let you get back to it or can you eat while I rant?” Lexi lowered his head but looked at Trav out the corner of his eye. “Good. Let me tell you I have been very stupid. I have been thinking that Robin's gifts were good for nothing other than making you like his music more.” Lexi snorted. “I know, I know, I was not paying attention to you telling me he was more than he seemed. I remembered that you said he almost made you feel like you were drowning. That is powerful magic, and this curse has, I think, made it stronger.” Lexi looked up, his attention now on the wizard. “Dragons have magic that we humans do not understand and it is akin to Robin's inborn magic. Enchantment, compulsions, but nothing really powerful like summoning lightning. I know I taught you that compulsions can be stronger, but you get what I am saying?” The unicorn nodded. He understood that compulsion and enchantment were more peaceful solutions. “But dragons take these a step further. Just by looking at you a dragon can instill fear or awe, make you tell the truth or even make you fall unconscious. How strong are they when they try? And how guileful? If your Charrinda is any standard the answer is very, and I'm actually putting him at the bottom of the standard. Do you think that this curse has strengthened his magic?” Lexi thought about it. He nodded and then shook his head. “You think it has, but not in the way I'm thinking?” Lexi nodded.

“Okay, so he has always had this subtlety but I just never seen him try.” The unicorn nodded. “And...what next? He has more magic?” Lexi looked a little hesitant. “More magic akin to his own?” Lexi agreed. “You know, I never knew equine features could mimic human emotions. Either that or you are unique. A 'unique-orn' maybe?” Lexi lunged playfully at him with his horn. It was a very bad joke. “So Robin's magic has simply been added to. That little joke he made when he arrived about lucrative dragon bard may not be far off. Imagine what he could do on a field of battle. It'll come to that once Father finds everything out.” Lexi knew that to be true. Robin would be both a bane and blessing to both sides. He could and would enchant both forces without meaning to.

Lexi felt something...wrong...evil...tainted heading this way and he wanted to both run away and towards it with his horn lowered. He looked at Travis who must have read Lexi's body language. This presence was not as strong magically, but the malignant feel could still hurt his soul sibling. Lexi tossed his head towards his back. “What? There is something wrong and you want me to get on your back?” Travis was no horseman by far. He hated to be on horseback more than failing a spell. Lexi knew it was now too late because whatever it was coming was just over the rise. Lexi moved. There was no other term for it. He was standing a few feet from Trav and then he was suddenly between him and the top of the hill. It could have been akin to transport spells only with no puff of smoke or use of magic. Lexi lowered his horn and pawed the ground.

Over the ridge came Frederick and an armed escort of two men. The Crown Prince looked to be in a very foul mood...no change, but when his eyes fell on Trav and a huge unicorn his entire posture changed to one of greed and infinite caution. “Trav, back away slowly.”

“You back off, Frederick. The 'corn does not like you by the look in his eyes.” He did not say that he did not like him...some decorum must be used, there were people other than family around. Lexi fixed his gaze on Frederick and the man froze for a moment and then shook his head as if to clear away the cobwebs of compulsion.

“I think not. Do you know the price for a unicorn horn.” Lexi's horn glowed a bright white and from it came a beam of raw power that struck Frederick in the shoulder and spun him through the air, knocking him back forty feet where he landed flat on his back and knocked the wind out of him. The armsmen ran for it. They did not see the unicorn stagger and fall over.

Travis reacted without thinking and placed his hand on the unicorn's barrel. Even as he began to cast a spell his entire past ran through his head and knocked him to his knees. Every memory suddenly surfaced and played like a sorcerer's illusion on the inside of his eyelids. He relived every past deed, every joy, but more so the wrongs he had done, the hurt he had caused whether or not he knew it. The pain was excruciating and he screamed for the horrors to stop, but it did not. He saw his eighth birthday when Frederick played a cruel prank on him and the young wizard, in a fit of childish temper, sent a concentrated ball of sound that knocked the prince down the stairs...when he was ten he punched Ethan in the nose for teasing Lexi...he broke Nathan's arm with a word because the soldier had followed the orders of Frederick to really give Lexi hell in arms practice... It did not let up until he had been through his entire sorrowful past and the final words of the spell fell from his lips. Lexi vanished from beneath his hands and Travis caught himself, tears running down his face, but for all the pain he had gone through he felt...cleansed. Whole without tarnish. His entire evil past was like a distant memory. He looked up at Frederick and staggered to his feet to see how badly injured he was.

The crown prince was not having a good week. He gets beaten by Lexi in a sword and magic fight and now he was beaten again. Trav only smiled. His shoulder was untouched and unharmed, but his face he was being tortured. If Travis's experience was any standard then he was being tortured...and he deserved everything he got. Karmic curses were kind of useless against half the population because all they did was give the target back what they have given others. A goodly person would be given rewards and happiness. Lexi had been the target of Travis's first casting and all it did was make Lexi laugh and weep with joy. Frederick was not a goodly person. Karmic curses could not kill, they were not even a curse unless you happened to be hellbent and bound. That beam of energy would be akin to a curse to the prince who was undeniably an ass... to put mildly.

Travis hated being related to the man because now he had to do his duty. He shook his head and touched Fred's head and sent him to his bedroom. He also sent a message orb to the head of the keep to tend to him. He then transported himself to the stable where he found Robin just arriving with an expression of worry and murder. “Relax. He's not going to die. Fred saw him and Lexi sent him a Karmic curse. The curse takes a lot out of the caster and Lexi's never cast it before to my knowledge.” They entered to find Lexi still on his side in his stall.

Robin rushed over and took his head in his lap before Travis could warn him of his experience. The same thing did not happen to the bard. There were only two reasons why. One, he had never done anything bad or his karma was about even because he was not smiling either. Two, their bond protected him from it. Or both for all he knew. Or none of it. He knew nothing of unicorns. “Lexi?” The tone in Robin's voice was so heart rending that Travis had to swallow back tears. It told the wizard that if Lexi were to die so would Robin. The bard felt he could not live without the princeling. “Charrinda, so tovya arra ami?” Travis almost lost it. No one spoke the old tongue anymore. It was the language magic, one only wizards ever spoke even one word of aloud. Yet here was this boy speaking it as if he was from the days it was the only tongue. “Yo tra'al so arra q'tar.

Travis sat down. His mind translated the phrases. “Beloved of my soul, will you leave me? You will not leave without me.” Spoken in the old tongue Robin had done something, Travis could feel it. Some sort of binding stronger than any spell he could cast. It was deep, a potent binding that could have some very long term ramifications.

The effect was almost immediate and Travis saw life energy flow from Robin into Lexi, a strong radiant liquid blue light. The unicorn perked up enough to nibble the bard's hair and then lay back down to sleep. Robin kissed the neck before he stood. He turned and looked at the wizard. “Spill,” he said commandingly and Travis, quite against his will, told him everything that happened from the time he woke to that moment. Every thought, emotion, action...he divulged it all and only stopped when Robin told him to stop. “Travis, I am sorry for doing that just now. I did not know it would happen.” He felt ashamed he had done it.

“I know, Robin, and I won't hold it against you.” Gods above he had never been compelled so easily, so completely. This curse had made a phenomenal increase in his abilities and Travis hoped if he ever met a true dragon he would not be on the menu; the dragon could tell him to cook himself and Travis would have no choice.

“Thanks. I...I wish the Crown prince were without his title. I would kill him.” The statement came out cold and even. There was no heated anger, only cold determination that the man never hurt his beloved again. His eyes momentarily had slitted pupils but Robin seemed to know what was happening and clamped down on the emotions that looked to be turning him into a dragon when he was human.

“Robin, hold on. You can beat this...we can beat this. You and Lexi and I will find some way to beat this. Just, hold on.” He nodded with a clinched jaw. He had to hold on or he would lose it all.

Copyright © 2014 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

To say I can't get enough of this is the understatement of the year. I really really really freaking love this story I mean it's insanely awesome. I so can't wait for the next chapter!

Link to comment

All the ins and outs of this story are so clever and captivating. I watch for new chapters too.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..