Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 10,185 Words
  • 2,518 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Bard and the Prince - 8. Chapter 8

The height of summer came all too soon for them, but they had come to terms with the curse and could live with it. They had a set routine that had both of them in the stable an hour on each side of the change for more than just the change. They found time to just be alone, for comfort, and they had sorely needed it. Travis had tried spell after spell but this curse was here to stay until they had removed the spellcaster. There were no leads as of yet except the spellcaster seemed to be either gone to ground or his job was done. There was no trace of him or her. And they had too much to worry about as it was.

Nathan was dead. There was a small skirmish on the Rendolan border with the Cat Chasers, they had demanded that Lycenia return the two known fugitives they were harboring. Their answer was, of course, less tactful but came out to be roughly “Go fornicate thy self.” It angered the Chasers and they returned with a hundred men and a wizard.

“A two bit conjurer,” Travis had called him. Now the wizard wished he had been less cocky. He had not even gone to the battle and had only protected the force as a whole and not the prince specifically. The battle had been relatively boring as far as they go, a few blows traded but no one really hurt unless they were killed outright. Then the wizard entered the battle before Travis, safe in the castle, could join them to counter. The wizard was far better that Travis had guessed if he could cast two spells at once. He had transported while casting a spell Travis had never seen. He could not even duplicate it because he could not see his face to read his lips and could not hear through the scrying glass he used. The wizard watched in horror as a light devouring beam of black energy a finger's width thick struck the soldier prince in the chest. He did not scream, he could not even draw a breath to do it, before he was simply gone. The last thing the prince ever saw was the face of his enemy because he had looked when the man had transported in. Travis had registered the shock on his brother's face...and could do nothing because he was too cocky. His clothes seemed to hover in place for a moment and then fell to the stream bed.

Travis was there before he had consciously cast his transport spell and his most devastating spell was already leaving his lips, except the wizard was gone. Travis looked hastily around, but the wizard was nowhere to be seen. Anger and denial surged through him and he flung out his spell. His men seemed to freeze in place but the foe began to writhe in agony as acid devoured them from the inside out. Travis watched as they died painfully and painfully slow. Yet he was still without an outlet for his emotions. The murderer was gone and Travis wanted his blood, wanted it with a passion he never knew was in him. With the enemy dying or dead he turned back to the pile of clothes as the Lycenian forces reanimated. The clothes were untouched, not even wrinkled. What type of spell only hurt living matter...turning it into a blackened ash that was all that was left of his brother? Travis screamed out his rage and looked around for the wizard, casting every spell of divination he could to no avail. The wizard was gone...and so was Nathan.

One man was left alive. One boy really and only because he was too scared to move when the spell was cast, the only thing that saved a person from it. He was the flag bearer. He was a few years shy of fifteen and too scared to even raise a cry when Travis stalked over, the vegetation around him wilting and turning black. “You will return to where you come from and tell them if they ever send any troops this close to our border I will personally slay every single one of them. Tell them to turn over the wizard and I will spare those who come with warrants or white flags. Tell them boy. Tell them that Prince Travis of Lycenia says this.” The last came out as an evil hiss. Travis picked the boy up roughly and shoved him in the direction of the capital city of Rendol. “Go, before I change my mind.” The boy ran. Had he looked back he would have seen the wizard fall to his knees and sob.

“Your Grace...what are your orders?” the captain asked. He had to repeat it four times before Travis responded. The Captain had seen battle shock before and knew how it was to lose a brother in arms. He understood, but he needed to know what to do with the prince's remains.

“Gather up the wounded and the dead. Find a soldier who...did well in this battle. He shall bear my brother's armor and sword.” The captain saluted and did as ordered. Travis stayed there crying until the man returned to tell him they were ready. “Very well.” Travis flexed his mental muscles and the entire group, all two hundred soldiers, were standing in the south pasture. It was a few moments after sunset and had Robin not seen Trav at the head of the procession he would have thought the castle was being attacked.

The bard looked for the soldier prince but only saw sorrow in every face...and an empty suit of chainmail. He recognized it, he knew it very well for the man had so rarely been without it even at meals. Robin flapped over in a jumping glide to cover the distance quickly. TRAV? IS HE... The wizard nodded sadly. The dragon's reptilian face contorted in agony and then he roared so loudly that one would thought he had been related to the man himself. Gouts of white and blue flames shot skyward easily one hundred feet and rained down but was innocuous by the time it hit the ground. Twice more he did this, the traditional vow of revenge. The little display brought the entire castle population out here. Everyone had a weapon of some sort to help defend what they must have seen as an attack. No one said as word as the situation became obvious. The procession had become over a thousand.

The only people not there at the funeral were Frederick and Raven.

* * *

“There is nothing I can do.” Travis hated saying those words. He had been trying every combination of spell and grammar that he could research or think of, but this curse was there to stay. They had been resigned to their fate anyway, but it still left them feeling desolate knowing they would never get closer than they were now. “I have compiled a list of the wizards that may have cast this, but you'll have to check them on your own.” Lexi nodded. It had been a week since Nathan was killed and Travis had only slept when Robin forced him to. The death of their brother seemed to have hit Travis very hard. He obviously blamed himself and Robin could not so easily manipulate him when the wizard would be expecting it.

Lexi watched him leave the barn and stopped Robin from following. “Lexi, he should not be alone right now.” The unicorn nodded but did not pursue him. “So, what do we do?” He was completely out of his league. He did not know enough about Travis to know what to do in this situation. He could go after him but that could prove disastrous. Robin felt his mind dwelling on the list that now sat on the desk he had put in the open space between the stalls so anyone could leave him a message without disturbing him. He put the list from his mind but it came back stronger. “Okay, you nag! I get it!” Lexi had been putting the thoughts into his head. He could not really implant words and only the vaguest of images, but he could give him an idea of what he wanted to say. Robin looked over the list and shook his head. To even get to the closest wizard would take a month through the forests and jungles surrounding the Crystal Falls...or go over it. Robin was not up to flying for long distances yet but if he had enough altitude he could glide for hours. He could carry a horse if need be but not fly or even glide. They could not bring a mount for the other, and what horse would consent to be carried off by a dragon except Mist? Lexi gave a stomp that meant he was being an idiot. “What am I missing, oh great purveyor of knowledge and wisdom?” Robin's acid tone was from worry and Lexi knew it so he did not rise to the bait. What he did was gesture with his nose to his back. Robin looked confused then flushed with a feeling of stupidity. “Charrinda, I had not even thought to ask. You would do that?” Lexi gave him that stomp again. Robin chuckled. “Fine, smarty pants, but what about you? Unless they make dragon saddles, your legs would be rubbed raw.” His scales had a very sharp edges and he had a large spine ridge of very hard scales. Not comfortable on the seat bones.

“Robin?” Parker asked as he came in. Robin looked and saw he was dressed for riding. Funny that neither had sensed him coming or if they had they had discounted his known scent. It showed that they trusted the boy completely that he could just walk up without them knowing or caring.

“Where are you bound?”

“With you.” Robin blinked and Lexis snorted in negation. “And how do you hope to get all the chores done when you are laid up for half the morning and evening? Who will take care of the little things...” He saw they were not buying it. “I just wanna pay that bastard back for what he did to you. To us,” he said more to himself. Then he went on like normal. “I've been training really hard.” Robin glanced at Lexi who could find one big reason to not bring him, he could get killed very easily. He was eight years old, yet had killed a man, could deal with being with them and all of their sides and had proven he could follow directions even when he did not want to. His loyalty was without peer so they knew he would not turn on them. It was true that he had been training hard and he was as good as any man a few years older with the dagger and decent with a short sword. “And I know where we can get a dragon saddle.” And apparently he was willing to bribe his way into going with them.

Robin had to think about what he just heard. How in the name of the Gods did this boy know where to get a dragon saddle? He had been mostly kidding, who would ever want to ride a dragon enough to fashion said saddle, but if such a thing did exist and the imp knew where one was they could not pass it up. “Show me.”

“Already did,” the boy was smiling. Robin thought and then thumped his head with his hand.

“The store room. You know of a way to get it out too?” Lexi looked confused and Robin told him what they had found. Lexi played a little tune on his horn, one they had agreed would mean to talk to the King. “Right...tell the king there is a secret way into one of his storerooms...about that...” Lexi stomped. “Fine. Gods above you are so pushy today.” Robin smiled and kissed the nose of his beloved before bodily lifting the imp and putting him over one shoulder. He had gotten a lot stronger even in his normal form to where he could simply lift the boy and all of his gear even when he was laughing and yelling to be let down. “Oh no, you want to come along you have to deal with all the pain of being the tag along little brother.” With his free hand he tickled him, getting a high pitched squeal in his ear.

Lexi just shook his head and moved to the pasture to eat. He needed his strength if he was to carry two and the saddle. Perhaps it could be altered to fit him as well. He was roughly the same size as Robin when he was a dragon. It should not take too much work really, he could probably do it if this saddle were not too complicated. It was close to an hour when Robin and Parker returned with a massive saddle slung over Robin's shoulder. Lexi looked at it. No, he could not alter it. The thing radiated magic like a torch does heat. “Taking a break while the rest of us slave over here?” The unicorn nodded. “Good. Now, Travis could be spared for a moment to tell me what this big thing can do. Basically it molds itself to whatever mount it is put on so long as it is of the same size as the saddle. Could you bear the indignity? No joking, I don't want to assume anything of you.” Lexi nodded. If he was going to carry them they would need a saddle because unicorns are footloose and fancy speed demons. Robin came over and set the thing on his back. Lexi's ear flattened automatically but he shoved down the natural impulse to get anything off his back or run from it. Damned instincts. He had a much harder time overcoming his than Robin. Goes to show that deep down he was a runner and not a fighter and Robin was as calculating as a dragon just with better motives. The straps buckled themselves, handy, and it molded onto his barrel so that it was like wearing leather armor made for him. Parker had three bags, one for each of them with what the prince assumed would include clothing. Robin picked the pipsqueak up and put him in the smaller seat in the back and strapped him in. One bag was hooked onto the saddle on each side and the boy kept his own on his back.

Robin mounted. “Lexi, any idea why we aren't affected by touching you? I have never been a saint.”

The unicorn thought about it while they got situated, Robin strapping down the swords and bows. To a powerful a beast as the unicorn this weight was negligible. Lexi was not sure, but he felt that the curse was a defense and that Travis got caught at the wrong time, when the unicorn side had taken fully over. He sent the idea as such. “So if you ever go horse on us we should just stay away. Got that imp?” Parker nodded. “Can we make a few stops on the way? One now and one when you're human?” Lexi nodded. Robin sent the unicorn a picture of where he wanted to go.

Hold on the unicorn's notes seemed to say. They did and boy were they glad. A unicorn can move very fast when it chooses, like trees blur by fast. Like the skin would peel back from your face fast, like sonic boom fast. The journey that had taken half the day took less than an hour and the last few minutes was for Lexi to catch his wind. He was not used to running full out especially with a load on his back.

“That was just about the most awesome ride ever!” yelled Parker when they stopped. He was clapping his hands in innocent joy and Robin was laughing. At least someone was enjoying themselves. Robin would have liked to have his first ride under less serious circumstances. Still it was exhilarating.

Charrinda, I hope you get as much fun out of riding me as I did you. His words were laden with sexual innuendo and the stallion trilled a laugh. The idea Robin got in return made him blush ten ways from next week and Lexi let out a whinnying laugh. They stopped by a stream for Lexi to drink and then made the rest of the journey at a slower but still swift pace. To the three of them this was a much different place. Before it had been something new and exciting, an adventure over every rock and around every hill a startling new discovery.

Now it was simply an obstacle to get through.

They finally arrived at the Fountain. It was still a serene place that Robin would have liked to stay longer at but he knew they needed to keep on track. Robin slid off the broad back and went to collect several samples of each type of stone. He had a hair brained idea and it could not really hurt to try...except his pocketbook. “Why do you need that?” Parker asked as Robin mounted and Lexi started off at a quick trot. Unlike a horse his gaits were all smooth and did not bounce in the slightest.

“An experiment for Travis. One he will thank me for once all this is done.” Lexi sent a query but Robin did not answer except to say it would not be dangerous. Robin was eying each of the samples in turn, trying to see if he could get anything from them. He knew each was the same stone only they looked like different ones. There was a small difference in the way they...resonated with him. Of the thirty-two stones only twelve seemed to have that sameness as the garnet. The other ones were lovely, but these twelve would either confirm or disprove his theory. He snorted a laugh. “His” theory...his folly, more like it. What did he know about magic? Less than Lexi and he was still so new to spells too. “Feeling up for a good run again, Charrinda?” Lexi played a little dancing tune and moved. He could do it anywhere he considered home and since he considered the woodlands of the kingdom his true home he could go anywhere he had been in the blink of an eye.

When he stopped both of his riders leaned over and vomited. Had they not been strapped in they would have fallen off. “That was not fun,” said Parker between volleys. It had felt like being squeezed through something the size of a coin and leaving your stomach in knots behind you. When the stomach caught up it jumped like a jackrabbit and lost whatever was in it.

Lexi played a concerned note. “That is amazing, but lets save it for emergency situations, hmm?” The unicorn nodded. Robin dropped out of the saddle at the edge of the tree line and helped Parker out of his straps. Their legs were wobbly from the transport and they needed solid ground under them. “We are going to the Lily, Lexi. Tera should know we're alive and I'm sure she has a place to hide us.” Robin removed the saddle and gave the bags to the imp. “Meet us when you can or I will send Tera and her daughter out to get you an hour after sunset.” A haunting melody came from his horn and Robin chuckled...but he was serious. He had no qualms about enlisting help. He gave a hug to the unicorn and then was gone for the last half mile of open land to the city. As he left the trees he heard a snippet of a love song from behind and smiled. Gods above the man was charming even as a horse.

When they finally got to the Lily, their worst fears hounding them every step, it looked completely unscathed except for the new balcony. The gardens were in bloom, the sound of the house minstrel wafted out on the wind, and the smell of Nana's stew turned their stomach from queasy to hungry. Robin went to the stable and let the hands know they needed to store the saddle in the lower stables. Then they went in through the kitchen entrance to avoid the commons. “Robin?” He smiled as he saw Nana looking up with hope. “Are you alright? Is Lexi...”

“He'll be here after sunset and we're healthy if not whole. Is there a place where we can talk privately?” She nodded and took them to the office and shut the door. It was a nicely, if spartan, furnished with a few chairs, one lounge, a big desk and a large bookshelf crammed full of books. The rug was green and looked to have lilies on it and the walls were wood paneling fit for any room in the palace. Parker went and curled up on the lounge chair and relaxed. Robin told her everything from the moment they left to the second they entered the stables. He left out nothing, especially the curse seeing as she was the one who had to house them.

She seemed saddened by all of the news. Nathan's death hit her hard, she had been his nursemaid too for two years. She understood the need for secrecy and agreed that the lower stables would be perfect as few people even knew they were there. “I am sorry, lad. You two did not deserve this.” She brightened. “Can I cater the wedding?” Robin blushed and Parker laughed from his spot. “I knew when you came the first time that my Lexi was smitten with you. I'm so happy he found someone to love him back, it was the only thing really missing in his life.”

“He deserves someone better than me.”

“None of that self pity, I will not stand for it. The only problem with you is that you think he is too good for you.”

“He is. Gods above he's so near to perfect that I just look like a pale daisy next to an orchid in full bloom. I will never be as charming or nice or knowledgeable in so many areas. I'll never be a prince or have lands of my own to give him a place other than the palace to come home to when we are done wandering around. I'm not a bard yet, I have no true prospects to bring other than the fact that I love him so much I cheated death for him.” Robin yelped and rubbed then back of his head. “Parker! Oww!”

“That is from Trav. It comes with the message 'if you do not pull your head out of your ass and stop beating yourself up I will personally remove your yellow stripe and give you a real spine.' In other words shut up. You two are so good for each other that I can only hope that one day I find someone to love half as much.” Talk of love...from an eight year old? Had the moon turned to green cheese?

“I think I hear a pig singing.” Robin yelped again. “What was that one for?” He asked his own personal punisher.

“Being an ass.” Nana laughed at the mock glare Robin sent the lad. He snagged the kid and pulled him to grind his knuckles into his scalp and then pulled him in for a hug.

“Gods, I'm getting sage advice from the only little brother I've had.” He sighed and gave the boy a shove for the door. “Go put the stuff away and tell that lovely maid to draw us a bath. Maybe if you compliment her eyes she'll give you a kiss.” That brought a smile to his face and he went skipping out of the room. “Poor kid will never get a lady with those ears.”

“That poor kid is unusually astute.”

“He's had to grow up very fast in the past season. Present company included I could never ask for better friends.” He put his face in his hands and began to cry. Nana was around the desk and holding him as he sobbed. He had not had any chance to do this at the palace, he was always so aware of Lexi that he did not want to worry him with his own problems.

“Shh, there you go, let it out. Nana is here.” She knew that Robin was just turned a man, but he had been too pent up for his own good and this release was long overdue in her opinion. Such depth of emotion were not good if kept bottled. He clung to her and quietly cried out his hurt and his pain. So much bad karma since he had stolen a loaf of bread to eat, so much had happened that he had not really let himself go. Now that he had there was no stopping the flood. His dam had broken and the river would run its course until only a trickle remained.

Robin did not see Parker come back in the office but she did and when he saw what was going on he left with a nod. Robin had always seemed so strong, so in control for someone so carefree. Guess he had a lot to cry about and no one he could really cry to. He would not do it with Lexi, of that Parker was sure. The bard was so good at listening to other people's problems he did not know how to let his own out. With nothing to really do he slipped back up to the room and unpacked what they would need for the night.

After his good cry Robin felt better and then had a good long soak in the tub to wash off the road and the rest of his worries. He ate a bowl of that manna and nectar of the gods before setting out for his errand in the city. He wore his sword openly and did not have the ties in place. It let everyone who saw him know that he was willing to fight at a moment's notice, and by the set of his shoulders and jaw he was not in the best of moods. Actually he felt pretty good but he did not want to deal with people just then. He made his way to a familiar shop and entered. The shopkeeper looked up and brightened. “Welcome back, good sir.”

“I have need of your excellent work again.” He produced two samples of each stone and the man's eyes went wide. A jeweler by trade, he knew instantly what each stone was. “You said they were rare and this time you have a chance to make far more than the pieces I will ask of you.”

“Sir, did you know the stones are magic?”

“Of course. It is why I guard their location so closely. I need some bit of magic on these as well, if you know of a wizard who does this.”

“Sir, you have come to the right shop. I am the only purveyor of magical jewelery in the city.” And he was salivating. He wanted to do this works just for the stones. The hallmark of the true craftsman.

“Great. I need a ring made out of each stone. Whatever metal you use is up to you. They must be able to change their shape to suit the wearer in whatever form they choose to be in. Can you do this?”

“Yes.” The man looked around for a moment and then leaned in to whisper. “I deal with the were-folk all the time.” Robin nodded his head once and let the man think what he would. Gods above, werewolves were real? “Do you need them immediately?”

“As soon as you can. What ever you do not use is yours to keep as payment.” There were at least forty carats of each stone and he would use maybe four for each ring.

“Too generous. I cannot do it, you would be cheated.”

“Then fashion matching pendants for each. Will that help your conscience?” He smiled, glad to see greed was not this man's way. He loved his medium for his art and while it was very lucrative he was not obsessed with money.

“Yes. I can have them ready in two days.”

“Have these twelve ready by sunset. In fact, make those six into a sort of artful cluster. I don't have anything in particular I want, just something nice. I trust your work.”

“I will do as you say.” Again Robin nodded. The man was fast, but then he thought he was dealing with a Lycanthrope and they were probably the “get in, get it done, and get out” type of customer. “Shall I deliver them to your inn?”

“No, I will pick them up before sunset.” He left and made his way back to the Lily to wait for his change and Lexi. He missed him so much that it hurt.

Lexi sneaked in through the dock gate after sundown and was glad that they had left him a change of clothes and his swords. The place seemed to be crawling with less than reputable people now and he did stick out a bit with his finely cut if plain clothes. The smell of fish hung in the air and he was glad he did not have to come here often enough to become immune to it. His pace was quick and sure and he covered ground easily, but it also made him stand out even further because he obviously did not want to be there. “Sneaking in was never your style before, Your Grace.” Lexi halted mid stride and turned to see Captain Jared there with six other armsmen.

“Last time my friend and I were nearly killed. We thought it prudent to come in at different times and places.”

“So the young bard told me when he asked me to watch for you after sunset.” Lexi grinned. It was nice to see Robin had not been idle. There was a moment that Lexi was sure he was going to break down, but the storm passed and he seemed better for it. He must have been mothered by Nana, she could mother the King and he would accept it. “Shall we escort you or just tail you?”

“In this district? Arrest me. Less suspicious.” The captain nodded and his men took his weapons and his arms. They were being gentle but firm, a perfect cover. “So, Captain, any leads on the Six?” He was one of Nathan's operatives in the city, the task of sorting their information falling to Lexi surprisingly enough. His father had said it was time he took an active hand in the affairs of the whole kingdom and not just their little corner. Now he ran the spy network all over Lycenia and her neighboring countries.

“You are more upfront than your late brother.” He nodded. It was no use to hem a haw. “There are some rumors saying that since they failed for the first time they have returned to the depths that spawned them. Seeing as no one has been killed in the city since that night I would believe it. That or Minah won and they tucked their tails and ran.”

“So Minah lives?” The captain nodded. “I guess that is a good thing. Better to have a known evil than an unknown one.” Although he was not as evil as Lexi had once thought. Dangerous yes and would turn on a person for enough coin, but not evil. “Drop him a small thanks for the assistance.”

“Understood.” They left the dock district and entered the merchant quarter. There they went past the Lily and Lexi was freed. “I do hope we were not unduly rough.” He knew they were not, but this was a prince after all.

“You need to work on your fake arrests. Thank you gentlemen for your help. I will put in a good word for you with the Captain.” He grinned while the armsmen just stayed stone faced. “Get them a sense of humor, Jared.” He nodded and saluted before doing an about face and marching back to his post. The guards waited for the Captain to leave and then laughed. “Huh...could not just laugh in front of a superior officer.” They laughed harder and thumped him on the back after returning his swords. He went inside and was attacked by Hurricanes Parker and Nana.

“There you are! Come in and have some stew. We have been worried sick.” Nana was giggling. It was quite literally the same words she had uttered who knows how many times when he had been gallivanting around the country side without an escort..again. He had done it several times just to get some mothering and stew. “Your friend is resting and said to send you when you got in.” She was smiling from ear to ear as she gave him a big, smothering hug. “I am so happy for you,” she whispered. Even Nana approved of Robin. He must be a saint.

“And you, Parker, since when have you become my personal leg manacle?”

“Since I was told to keep a hold of you until you went to see Robin.” Lexi laughed and began to walk with the boy still attached to his right leg. He screamed his fool head off as they went down the hall and every patron and maid looked at first scared but then they saw what was going on and they shared the laughter. Anyone who came here was familiar with Lexi and all the improper things he did. If Parker thought the ride down the hall was fun he loved the one down the stairs to the basement stables.

I DID NOT MEAN IT LITERALLY, IMP, said Robin when he saw them. He was relieved to see Lexi although he knew he was fine. He saw how Lexi was with Parker and thought for the first time he would have made a great father or even an older brother. He was so good with kids. Lexi caught the thought and smiled. Now that they were here Parker disengaged and ran back up the stairs. I MISSED YOU. Lexi gave him a beautiful smile and wrapped his arms around his neck and kissed his cheek. Robin wrapped one big arm around his slender waist and pulled him up and onto his back. READY TO GO FOR A FLY? Lexi was in the saddle in seconds and strapped in.

“How are we going to get out without anyone noticing?” Robin looked back and grinned, exposing his wickedly sharp teeth.

HOLD ON, Charrinda, THIS WILL BE VERY INTERESTING. Robin pulled out a beautifully crafted necklace set in silver filigree. It had six different stones, the ones from the Fountain, arranged to look like small musical notes on the staff. It would never fit the dragon, but before the prince's eyes it expanded so that the dragon could wear it.

“Busy day?” The dragon nodded as he put it on. As soon as it touched his chest plate Robin began to tremble. “Robin are you okay?” Lexi watched as the details that made up Robin's dragon form began to melt into something completely new. His scales went from red to a deep emerald with gentle, rolling apple green bands. He lost the two huge horns on his head and they were replaced by a sleek crest that swooped back and then up. His tail became longer and broader, more paddle like. The massive claws shrank and webbing appeared between his toes. “Gods above how is this possible?”

REMEMBER THAT LITTLE EXPERIMENT? WELL, I JUST PROVED THAT THESE STONES AFFECT WHAT TYPE OF DRAGON I TURN INTO. Then Robin smiled a silly little grin. MAYBE IT WILL CHANGE YOU AS WELL. Lexi giggled. Knowing what the bard hoped it turned him into was far fetched. HOLD ON, AND WHEN I TELL YOU, TAKE A DEEP BREATH. Robin almost slithered out of the stall and then ran down the tunnel to a new offshoot Lexi had not known was there. If his direction sense was right they were headed directly for the lake. When Lexi saw the water ahead he took two steadying breaths and then held it just before Robin said to and dove in.

The water was cool against his skin and he knew they were reaching speeds unheard of to any water craft, even the five mast ocean riders with a gale force wind at their back could not go this fast. He was getting close to running out of air when they broke the surface of the water. Two powerful flaps and they were airborne. Lexi turned to see that he could not see Hamlet-on-the-Lake anymore. They had traveled almost the entire lake in the time it took for him to run out of air. Lexi was grinning as they climbed higher into the warm Summer night. The wind whipping past his face gave him the feeling that he was flying himself. Opening his arms he could imagine what Robin must feel to fly. Then his senses overlapped with that of his dragon love and he knew exactly what it was like to fly. The exhilaration of it all, the precise coordination required to stay aloft, knowing that all the world stretched out below you just ripe for the exploration. Lexi opened his eyes again when he felt the were spiraling down. He had hoped for a longer flight, but Robin was not ready for an extended one. What he saw when he looked down stilled his breath.

They were atop the Crystal Falls. All of Lycenia was below them as Robin landed. The buttes were covered in foliage so like that around the fountain that Lexi could imagine where the Fountain was fed from. No man had ever climbed this mountain and only the bravest ever used magic to get up here. The wind was a constant force that whipped his hair free of its tail and braid but then settled down to just toy with it. He unbuckled all of the straps and slid off Robin's back to stand on the grassy top of the tallest point in the hemisphere. Strange plants were in abundance and he could not even begin to classify them or the small insects that flitted from flower to flower. It was night time and there were insects about when most of them would be dormant below. One curious creature seemed to want their attention. It looked almost like a long necked turtle except no turtle had a golden yellow shell and would come over to paw at Lexi's leg.

He squatted and held out his hand. The turtle, whose shell was almost a foot in diameter, nudged under his hand for attention. “Robin, look at this.” The dragon looked at the creature and was surprised when it did not run away. “Have you ever heard of a turtle doing this?”

IT'S NOT A TURTLE, LEXI, IT'S A TURTLER. A BARON IN RENDOL HAD ONE OF ITS SHELLS AS A CEREMONIAL BOWL. HE SAID THE BOWL IMPARTED STRENGTH TO THOSE WHO DRANK FROM IT. Lexi looked at the beastie and wondered how it got here. They must be indigenous to the Falls, he thought. He stood and walked away to look to the south over the countryside. Somewhere out there was a wizard who may have been the cause for all of this. Lexi felt the turtler brush his leg and looked down.

“Did he say anything about how to get rid of one?” The turtler looked up with odd hazel eyes and pleaded with Lexi not to leave him. “R...Robin? It understand us.” It nodded succinctly. This was by far the strangest animal he had met. It was so smart it knew the common language, but how? Was there a human village up here or did it possibly get carried up here from its home by some large bird? “Do you live here?” He could not believe he was talking to a turtle. It gave an emphatic shake of its head. “You live down there?” It nodded. “Would you like to go back down?” Robin was smiling. Sweet man that he is, he even helps stranded turtlers. “That would not be a problem, will it Robin?”

NO. HE DOES NOT LOOK TO WEIGH THAT MUCH. He lumbered over to the water to try something. It is said that the waters could heal anything...he took a drink. While it was the most refreshing water he had ever had, it wiped away his fatigue, it did not remove this curse. Probably because the curse brought out a part of himself.

They stayed up there for an hour just being with each other and no one around...except a nosy turtler.

* * *

The castle was quiet, the only sounds that of people sleeping soundly after a week long vigil for the departed prince Nathan. The guards that were supposed to be watching were a despondent lot and they were trapped within their own misery, so trapped that they could not watch effectively. Even the hounds in the kennels, the horses in the stables, and the hawks in the mews were all fast asleep. Only one man was burning the midnight oil, one person who could not know what sinister plotting was being hatched.

Travis was at a loss. He could not find that wizard and it was wearing on his good nature. He had looked through every book he could find that even mentioned any sort of divination spell but to no avail. He simply could not find the man and his magical energy was on an all time low. He could not even light a candle at that moment. His eyes were bloodshot and bleary from being up for the past four nights with no sleep. He was exhausted but he could not take the time to rest because Nathan's killer was still out there and it was his task to find him; it was his fault that his brother was dead so it was his task to set it right.

He looked down at his labor, the many scrolls and parchment scraps that had been piled and compiled in his search. With a growl he swept it all off the desk and slammed his palms down on it hard enough to make an echo in the vast chamber. He could not think straight, could not even form a coherent sentence in his own mind. The young man was numb from the brain down and he did not, he could not, know that he was trying too hard. He was overtaxing his strength and he was doing it all for naught.

Travis hissed in pain as he felt someone transporting in from elsewhere. It should not be possible, he had wards to protect his library. But he had not renewed their energy in days so focused was he that he forgot. There was only one open spot safe enough to transport in to and Travis pulled out a wand. It was rudimentary magic, wands, but he had nothing left to cast spells with. The air shimmered an evil black and from the portal stepped that robed wizard that had caused them all so much grief. Travis raised the wand even as the wizard raised his head and his hand. Travis looked at the man's face even as the same beam of light devouring utter blackness struck him in the chest. He had seen who the wizard was, but he could do nothing about it as he felt the agony of dying grip him. When the robes settled the only thing that remained was a pile of ash and the ominous cackle of the wizard. “Two down, three to go.” Then the wizard was gone.

* * *

King Horatio sat up in a cold sweat as he had for many a night since the death of his second born son. It was a nightmare that woke him, one of such loss that he could not bear to live without that which was lost, and he would wake up sobbing silently so the guards that stood right out side the door did not hear him. The king felt far older then he was and truth he looked it. He did not have that regal manner, his eyes no longer held any sort of humor, and his once perfect posture was bent over by the weight of duties he did not want any more. Horatio, you're getting old, he said to himself. Perhaps it is time you thought about stepping down. Frederick is ready and eager and he will be my age when I die, too old to sire any children as heirs.

The king stood and shuffled over to his chamber's table to pour himself a goblet of mulled wine and sat heavily in his chair before the fire. He took a sip and stared into the flames that were burning low for the night. He would not sleep for the rest of the night and it felt like he had not slept in years rather than nine days. Only nine days since he had lost his son, his field commander, and his most elite bodyguard. The leader of his spy network, the man who never once chided when he was being silly at play with any of the infants he happened across in his duties, the man who would never again find simple joy in the playing of the fife. The king felt such a loss keenly. All of his sons were integral to the workings of the kingdom. Lexi had taken over as the head of the spies, a task he found both challenging and a bit of a laugh. He was gone to get the curse removed from his friend.

The king smiled sadly at that one. His most cherished youngest...in love with the bard. He had believed it without seeing it for himself. There had never been any dalliances in the loft with a maid for him nor scandal with a kitchen wench in the larder. He had been the soul of courtesy to every woman he had been asked to think about for marriage, giving them his attentions and never once bringing shame upon himself or the family by any impropriety other than a bit of aloofness. How could you expect anything else when the boy obviously was meant for his own gender. Lexi would have married them if the king had asked him to, but he did not even want to stick him in a loveless life for political reasons as his father had done to him. Were there any fondness that would have been with any of them Lexi would have done his best to be as caring a husband as he could and would produce children if that is what she wanted...or the kingdom needed.

But his heart was no longer his. He had given it to a very likable young man with a very powerful gift, and the king was not talking about the lad's sonomagic although that would be a force to reckon with once he reached his full powers there. Raven had been most livid to hear the boy was better in every way except for the one thing he could not have so young and that was years of experience. Yet the lad had acquitted himself very well and was a charmer. No one about the castle or the tails he had on him for the first weeks had anything to say against him except he was almost too perfect for the young prince. They would have many happy years together once the curse was broken. Gods above they were happy now. The king felt the need to once again to exercise his power and drained his goblet before he stood.

He moved quickly to his writing desk and penned a very thorough but simple law forbidding political marriage against the wishes of the royal children without the necessity of an heir. He also added in there a clause about them being able to marry whom they choose regardless of station or political ties. The only thing he did not change were the other common sense laws about marriage, ones the church would hang him for changing such as marriage between cousins or siblings. Horatio signed and sealed the document with wax and his personal seal. He cast a spell of protection over the paper so no one could destroy it until it had been ratified in open court.

The King's energy was fast depleting and he should not have cast that spell, but he did not want to take any chances. He had to write it in triplicate before he went to bed, but he could not seem to focus his eyes. His hand began to shake and he was not surprised. A king always fears poisoning from someone with the right access or a subtle touch. He put the pen to the paper and scrawled “I have been poisoned by an unknown hand...” and fell to the floor with a loud thud. He crawled to the door. Not to get help, he knew he was beyond that, but to draw eyes away from his table where the law sat. It was his last true act as King. He made it to the door and rapped once as loud as he could.

Then the King of Lycenia was dead.

* * *

Father Ethan had been in a meditative trance for two weeks contemplating the simple things he took for granted. He had always found his meditations to be enlightening, soothing in a way sleep could never hope to duplicate. He thought about the food he ate, much simpler than any prince had ever eaten. It fed his body as food was supposed to do, but it did not taste very good. It did not have to taste good to be good. How many people had to go to bed hungry and would literally kill for his diet? The clothes on his back at that moment were simple homespun wool. He had made it himself, another thing he took for granted were his learned skills, and it was light, undyed and kind of itchy in the seat, but it was clothing he had made. Simple things like these were the objects of his meditations. He actually set aside two weeks out of the season to do just this and it was always did him some good. Another thing he took for granted, his meditations!

Yet this time he was jolted out of trance by a feeling of wrongness. Something had happened that was so utterly malicious and evil that in sent discordant notes flying across the realms and anyone with the sensitivity to feel it would have been rocked to their core. Considering what had been happening lately he knew he had to get home. He had known about poor Robin's curse, a pigeon had found him only a few days after he came to the temple written in the king's tidy script. Ethan knew his Father was angry anyone would dare harm a guest of the royal family and saddened for Lexi. Then not a day later he received another pigeon from Travis telling him the full nature of the curse and that their suspicions had been correct about the pair. They were Charrinda and Ethan had sent prayers of thanks to his god for allowing Lexi to have that someone, although the True God frowned upon such things.

But the news he had gotten when he was jarred out of trance hurt the priest deeply. His brother was dead and it had happened nine days ago. No one had thought this would supersede his wishes to not be disturbed. He had not been there to send his soul to the heavens, to console his loved ones and Nathan's brothers at arms, had not been able to say good bye to a man he had loved and greatly admired for his quiet strength and big heart. Ethan had done the most unpriestly thing he could have done. He swore like a common fish wife, punched the wall, splintering the wood, and almost collapsed into his bed and cried. It was not fair, he had screamed. If Nathan had died by a blade Ethan would have been saddened and grieved, but he would have known that Nathan had gone the way he always wished, in battle.

To be struck down by magic? With not even a body to lay to rest? Ethan had cried for hours until he was too wrung out to continue and then informed the head of the monastery that he would be leaving to help his family through their...and his...time of grief. He had been granted permission of course, one did not stand in the way of a prince of the realm who had lost his brother and could probably level the monastery with one prayer in his grief. Ethan had left all priestly vestments there and had done something he had not done since he was fifteen. He pulled on a white silk doublet over a blue velvet shirt, leather trousers striped with the same blue and low cut boots not made for riding but for vanity. They, coupled with the tight trousers, showed off his strong legs and well turned calves. A cloak that had enough fabric to cover three men his size went over it all and was spelled to keep him at a comfortable temperature all day and night.

When he had filled his traveling pack and left the entire monastery stared. They had never seen him actually look like a prince and it did not bode well. “Will you be leaving us for good my son?” asked the head of the monastery. He was a very old, near ninety, completely bald man with so benevolent a presence that Ethan had actually gotten down on his knees bowed to this man.

“I know not, Father, but I hope not. I am second born now, there is much for me to learn and so little time to do it. Once Frederick is secure on the throne and has an heir I will return to finish my studies here, but I fear you will not live to see that day, Father. If not,” Ethan was tearing up. He did not want to leave here. He loved this old man as much as he loved his father and wanted so much to be there when he passed, to commend his soul to the heavens. He wiped his eyes. “If not then farewell on your next journey, Father.” He leaned down and embraced the man whose frail shoulders shook with emotions that did not show on his face. “I commend your soul to Heaven, Luke son of Thomas, knowing that you will be accepted in the full love of the True God. Be strong and steadfast, stray not from the the path to wickedness for what lies ahead is surely made for you.” He squeezed tighter. “I love you Father.”

“And I you. Be strong in spirit for your loved ones.” Ethan let go reluctantly and took the reins of his horse. “Come back to us safe and sound, Prince Ethan.” The title let everyone know that he had left to return for more than just this time. He would not be coming back soon.

Ethan mounted and turned and galloped out of the gates. If he had not he would have stayed and hid away in the temple forever. Ethan had courage to battle otherworldly beings, to fight for the True God and to help anyone in need. He was strong in spirit, true in his faith, and such a gentle soul. Yet he could not face the real world. He did not have courage to face this. Ethan wanted to curl up and sob until it stopped hurting. Yet he rode towards the problem. Perhaps that is what true courage is about, he mused. To be afraid and still do what needed to be done.

Ethan had been riding for hours when he heard the sounds of something up ahead and over the next rise. He slipped loose his mace in case he needed it and as he topped the rise he saw a small man or woman in long robes being attacked by goblins. He had never seen goblins before, but the sickly yellow green skin and hideous faces could be nothing else. They stood about waist high on an average human which put them chest level with this one. They carried clubs made of bone or wood and one had a sword that had seen better days. He kicked his horse into a gallop and sped down the hill, his cloak billowing out behind him like the wings of an avenging angel. The robed figure was barely holding their ground with a quarterstaff and thankfully the goblins were not very good fighters. When Ethan got close he simply leaped from the saddle and landed on the nearest two cross body. He thanked their arms master for teaching them how to switch from cavalry to foot soldiers. He rolled off the bodies and stood between the figure and the goblins with his mace ready.

The nearest goblin that had not been tackled swung with his club but Ethan parried and slammed his mace down on the monster's head hard enough to stun but not kill. They may have been goblins and better off dead but he was a priest. He would not kill unless he absolutely had to and he would use magic before he ever killed. The next goblins came in threes and he kicked out one's legs, hooked one's arm and tossed him and crushed the last one's arm with a hard swing. Ethan took a hit to his hip but he kept fighting. It had been so long since he had actually felt the pain of a hit that he gasped and faltered a step which threw off his rhythm and the goblins took advantage. Their blows came fast and furious. They were not powerful hits, the most they would do individually was bruise unless they hit him in the head. Ethan was able to get his footing again but they would not let him swing his mace. They hung from his arms and were gnawing on his legs.

He knew that they were too much for him to face physically. He was not a fighter, he was not Nathan... The thought of his brother brought his grief to the surface and he roared out his anger, and for the first time in years he gave in to the primal forces he always stove to control. His fury, his grief, his lust to prove he was every bit the man his brothers were and not less because he chose a life of peace, all of it came out in one blast of energy. It was dangerous to simply unleash your energy with no direction, no target. The blast threw off the goblins and they landed yards away but shook off the falls. The brief respite was all he needed and he swung that mace with all the strength he had. Every ounce of anger and sorrow, every bit of inner fire was put into the blow and it caved in the skull of the goblin, the blood splattering all over the ground and Ethan's face.

Two more fell from his mace before the rest finally gave up and ran, leaving their fallen comrades behind. Ethan heaved and fumed but closed his eyes to quell the inner monster that was in all humans. It was both easy and hard. Easy to do with the years of training but hard because it felt good to let go, to rid himself of some of that pent up emotion. When he was once again master of his inner war he opened his eyes. “Are you hurt?” he asked as he turned to the person he had helped. He looked at the man oddly when he raised his hand. Then when his hand shot forth a beam of energy that feeling of wrongness came back in full, but he could do nothing as the beam hit him square in the face.

As Ethan's clothes settled the wizard chuckled. “Four down, one to go.” Then he vanished, his goblin slaves having served their purpose.

Copyright © 2014 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Who is this wizard who has the power to destroy the Royal family? Is it Frederick,

Raven, or that Demon that Raven conjured up from Hell? Now I'm really anxious

to find out. It's so sad that the brothers and their father are all gone. They were all

good and special people.

 

I hope we find out who did this soon... I'll be waiting.

Link to comment
On 06/13/2014 10:21 AM, Stephen said:
Who is this wizard who has the power to destroy the Royal family? Is it Frederick,

Raven, or that Demon that Raven conjured up from Hell? Now I'm really anxious

to find out. It's so sad that the brothers and their father are all gone. They were all

good and special people.

 

I hope we find out who did this soon... I'll be waiting.

You shall be waiting for a very long time. MUAHAHA. There are several more chapters that have been written and many left to be written until Robin and Lexi's tale is told
Link to comment

As much as I like this story, I could not like this chapter. Evil triumphing over good in such large doses is so hard for me to stomach.....

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..