Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 11,163 Words
  • 3,101 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Bard and the Prince - 5. Chapter 5

Over the next weeks Robin's wounds healed until there was no trace of him being hurt except for a strange cross shaped scar on his shoulder. He and Lexi spent most of their time together, occasionally accompanied by Trav and always shadowed by Parker. Winter, which had been a far off thing when he first came the Lycenia Castle, was just around the corner and Robin was invited to winter with them. He agreed but wondered if he could deal with four months of avoiding the Crown Prince and the Masterbard.

Lexi had a lot to show him of the area around the castle, how to find food, but Robin surprised him with his natural knowledge. “Part of my training is survival. I may not be as good as you, but I can survive even in winter.”

The prince also had other lessons in mind and enlisted the help of the best teachers. It was a blustery Autumn day when Robin was wakened at dawn and told to dress and meet in the courtyard in five minutes. Since it was Parker who gave him the orders he was sure it came from pretty high in the hierarchy. “Any idea what they want?”

“Yes, but I was told not the say.”

“By?”

“Prince Alexander.” So it was some sort of surprise for him. He pulled on his clothes and was dressed in two minutes and out the door tying on his cloak because he could feel the chill. He hurried to the yard to find Lexi and Prince Nathan there in tight, light weight clothes and Robin slowed to stare. He had seen Lexi in loose clothes that sometimes left his chest bare, but he had never seen him completely bare chested. He was a splendid specimen of physical perfection. There was something about a person who worked hard enough to develop that much muscle that was admirable. Deep chest, broad shoulders, slender waist that still had a little bit of baby fat on it...he was a very attractive man and Robin felt a tightening in his chest.

Nathan on the other hand was whipcord tight. There was no fat on him and his shoulders were broader still than Lexi's, but he was leaner, more like a tumbler except for his arms. Of the two it was Nathan that scared him because he could not tell what he could do, only that whatever he did would really hurt.

There was a table set out with strange wooden poles of varying lengths and shape. “Okay,” he said, remembering what those poles were, “so who's bashing me first?”

“It's arms training, Robin, not a bashing.” Lexi smiled though. He knew it would be a bashing for the next few weeks until Robin gained some skill.

“I'll let you tell it. My knowledge of blades is stick them with the pointy end.” He removed the cloak and handed it to Parker. “And next time they plan to murder me, and you don't tell me, imp, I'll haunt you for the rest of days.” The boy looked only mildly apologetic.

“I for one am glad you have no habits to break.” Nathan, who had never spoken to him, had a very memorable voice. It was a snake slithering over dead leaves and gravel, all lisp and hiss. Perhaps an injury to the throat. “Spread your arms.” Robin did so and Nathan came over to eye him. He looked at him critically like one would if buying a horse, feeling his arms and shoulders, his chest and even his back and stomach. “Hmm.” He went over the routine again. “Hmm.”

“Are you always like this, Your Grace?”

“Yes.” He spun and went to the table and came back with a pole. “Why talk when it is not necessary? What type of sword would you wield?”

“Something fast. I'm not strong and I doubt I ever will be built like muscle boy over there.”

“True, you'll never have an abundance of power. Your are right to choose a fast weapon. A rapier most likely. With your reach and agility you could do some damage to anyone stupid enough to think you weak because you have noodles for arms.” Robin saw Lexi smirk but compared to the both of them he did have noodles for arms. Nathan's voice, once he was accustomed to it was not so bad and his direct speech was better than false flattery if a bit jarring. Without another word he tossed the pole to Robin who caught it and spun to regain his balance. He had expected it to weigh far more than this.

Lexi suddenly darted for him and slashed with a shorter pole but somehow he blocked it, the shock making his arm tingle and he dropped his weapon. “What did you learn?” the prince asked.

“Never give you a sword and make you mad.” He stooped to pick up his pole and rolled when he saw Lexi swat at his backside and came up with the blade in he hands.

“Not bad. Tumbling must be one of your skills.”

“One of them.” He waited for Lexi to rush him again, but he did not. A tingle on his neck made him flip sideways. He had narrowly avoided a sneak attack from Nathan.

“Very good. Your awareness is better than we could have hoped. Attack Lexi and see if you can actually hit him.” Robin rolled his eyes and rushed the man with both hands on the hilt of the practice blade. Lexi just shook his head and sidestepped but felt a sting along his ribs. He looked at Robin in mock horror when he completed his diving roll facing him. “How did you know which way I would step?”

“You're right handed so you step left for optimal reach for a counter attack. I saw that little move on your side of the blade.” He winced at the memory of his first scuffle in the streets after being taken as apprentice. Someone had insulted Meadowlark's singing and the then nine year old Robin had tried to make them take it back. All he got was a slice across his ribs, a trip to the priest, a stern talking to and the respect of a few people who now knew not to insult Meadowlark in his hearing because the other two had broken noses.

“Any other tricks?”

“One.” He hurled the pole at Lexi who went wide eyed and batted the blade away cross body. That put his sword out of range when Robin tackled him and sat on his chest. He began to tickle him which produced the most blood curdling shriek ever heard. Parker was torn between laughing and gasping but Nathan had no qualms about roaring at his half brother's plight. Watching Lexi convulse like a fish out of water was funny to the normally stoic prince. “Like it?”

“No...get off...” Lexi could not use his strength against Robin and convulse to get away from those long fingers poking at every ticklish spot on his person. “I yield!” Robin stopped and stayed there sitting on him. “You fight dirty, Robin. You will pay for this! I swear you will suffer!” He was laughing too hard to be any sort of serious and Nathan had to take a few deep breaths to stop himself from laughing.

“If you say so.” He helped him up and they got down to some actual lessons. Lexi would teach him by being his personal chopping block and Nathan would teach him how to turn anyone into a chopping block. By lunch time Robin had bruises atop of bruises and he felt he had been more than adequately repaid for the tickling. No, he was wrong.

“Grab a light lunch because your next lesson starts in an hour.”

“Next?” He had that scared deer look in his eyes.

“Yes. Etiquette and intrigue with Wini, first aid with Eatme...Ethan, basic cantrips with Trav and then dinner. After that, if you can still stand, it is back to Wini for dagger work.”

“Why?” he whined.

“We have the Winter to get you ready for your journeying. You need to learn more than just a sword.” He smiled at him. “I do not want you leaving here as easy prey as you came. I won't always be there to watch your back.” He saw some sort of emotion spasm across Robin's face but was gone before he could be sure he actually saw it. Probably wishful thinking on my part, Lexi thought. “Hurry on to lunch.” Lexi turned on heel and glided away.

“Does this seem fair to you?” he asked Parker.

“Yes. If repaying Prince Alexander includes not dying later...”

Robin chuckled. “You are very wise for someone so young.”

The bard's lessons encompassed his waking hours and it exhausted him, but he loved it. He learned the nobility of Lycenia and their habits, learned a few, very few, healing spells and quite a bit of medicine from Father Ethan and even a few cantrips from Trav. Lesson with Trav were his favorite because he could wander through the library and just pick up a book and read it. The contents could be herbal remedies or could be knowledge of the demonic hierarchy or even a book of child's tales. There was no rhyme or reason to what he learned there, but he learned quite a bit.

One gem he found was something not even Travis knew was there. He had inherited the library from the former wizard of the family. Robin had pulled down a plain blue bound book and opened it. Inside were songs. The same song was repeated for voice, lute, harp, horn and drum. Not unusual except he had never seen such music. They were not from Rendol or even Lycenia. He could barely read the script and knew it was not in any language he knew. “Trav, what is this?” He rushed over to where the mage was busy grinding some seeds for his own usage although Robin had collected them.

The wizard looked at it briefly. “Music, of course.”

“Well, I know that, but what language?”

Trav looked closer and let his unconscious memory take over. “It's from Mardus, a chain of islands south of the continent. What it says, I've no clue. There is a reference book in the...” but Robin was already headed that way. Trav only shook his head. He had been the same way when he came across a new book with something in it he had never seen before. That was years ago...but he was still as intrigued as Robin. Why would a music book be in a Library of magic? Even the children's tales were guidelines for budding wizards. He decided if they were anything interesting Robin would tell him.

It was not until Robin had translated the text that he realized what type of book it was and the first person he told was Lexi. The prince was in the middle an important meeting when Robin poked his head in. The steward of the castle was asking him to be the dispute settler for the day while the Crown Prince was away on his own studies. “Why not Nathan?”

“Prince Nathan does not have the grasp of the nuances you seem to and the people love you and know it will be a fair ruling.”

“You fight dirty, you know.” The steward nodded. Robin politely cleared his throat. “Robin. I'm having a discussion and I do not mean to be rude, but it is important.” His tone said that he didn't want to keep Robin away, he just wanted it to be over.

“Just wanted to know if you wanted me to play during the disputes. Ease the tensions a bit.”

Lexi blinked a few times. A smile of gratitude lit his face. “Actually, yes. That would be great. Set the times for after lunch and I'll tackle them then.” The steward bowed and left. Lexi had two hours to spare before he had to do his duty. “Not that I'm not grateful but I know you did not come here just to ease my burden.”

“Actually, I did. I found a great book in Trav's library.” Instantly Lexi was interested. Not even he had been in the library as much as Robin had because it was Trav's sanctuary from every one else.

“How do you rate, anyway?” he asked as they left the room and headed for Lexi's quarters.

“Privileged guest and I don't annoy Trav with questions. Plus I do know more arcane lore than I let on and have assisted with a few minor experiments.” That was the clincher. Lexi had helped on several occasions, but he was not very good at the arcane studies and could not tell a deranga seed from an apple seed. If Robin could then he was a big help to Trav and would be welcome. “But this book...it could help with my dream.”

“It's a music book I take it.”

“Oh yeah.” They got to his room and Lexi only shook his head when he saw Robin's lute and a book sitting on his bed.

“I should say something about being in my room when I'm not here, but that would be bitter of me. I'm in a bad mood, Robin, so please forgive me.”

“You won't be when I am done.” Lexi sat and waited as Robin leafed through the book and then a separate stack of papers. These papers seemed to be his notes from the book.

A strange music flowed out of the lute, a calming melody that put Lexi immediately at ease and he felt content. It was magical, he knew, but the short song was potent. The entire piece was only a few moments long, but it was enough to relax the princeling. “Okay, I like this book. Where did that strange music come from?”

“Mardus, a chain of islands south of the continent. The entire book is simple melodies that teach a bard how to affect emotions. Nothing as grand as I've been blundering through, but better because it's a beginners book. It also alludes to more advance techniques, but I have not looked for another book yet.” He was grinning. “But as great as this is, the last part is the most impressive.” Robin turned to the last pages of the book and shifted to look at the low burning fire in the hearth. He checked the words of the song and then sang. It was a ten second ditty, but the result was astonishing. The fire burst into a much larger flame that nearly consumed the wood in the hearth.

“Gods above!” Lexi stared at the fireplace and then slowly looked to see the smug look on Robin's face. “ Robin...”

“Let me guess...gimme gimme gimme?” Lexi nodded. They spent the rest of the time before the disputes leafing through the book and with the help of the Mardus references they found two more handy spells that you had to sing in the tongue twisting tones of Mardus. They had tried to sing it in their language, but there was no effect.

“If there are songs that need to be sung in this language, it stands to reason there are songs in every language.” Lexi said as they entered a packed meeting hall. “Kill me now,” he whispered and Robin only grinned. Lexi, wearing the black robes of office, did not sit in the seat of judgment as was protocol. Instead he walked among the petitioners and met them as he would if he were just hearing their problems as they passed on the street, Robin dutifully three steps behind and playing softly. No one seemed to be in the mood to argue any decision he made even when he was unsure it was truly fair.

Robin did eventually get around to telling Trav and only because he needed help in finding other books like that one. “So I'm here only for your research?” Trav asked with mock anger although since Robin had gone on his little hunt he had unearthed tomes the wizard had thought lost in the library.

“You understand me then,” Robin said and ducked a half halfhearted punch. “Seriously. These are just what I need and maybe, just maybe, you could use them too.”

“I cannot sing.”

“Most of them have alternate instrumentals so if you know how to play the lute, harp, drums, horn or some instrument called the ra'gor then you are able.”

“Hmm. I'll see what I can find.” He sounded so put out that Robin almost told him to forget it, but he could tell that it was somewhat feigned. Trav liked intellectual challenges and this was a good one.

* * *

By the end of winter Robin was a decent swordsman, excellent bowman, deadly with daggers and could speak fluent Mardus. He had actually grown taller and had put on muscle mass if not fat so he was refitted for most of his clothes. He did not even ask why they were being so kind to him, he had figured it out at the end of that first day three months earlier. Lexi liked him, and if by doing something nice for Robin made him happy, then all but Frederick and Raven seemed willing to do it. Even the King had invited Robin to play at the Winterfest when all the nobles gathered to celebrate the turning of the season. It was a unique honor that few other than the court bard had ever had in the history of Lycenia.

And truth be told he was wondering about his feeling for Lexi. He always knew he was open for someone raised in a small village, but he had never once experienced that lightening of the heart when someone mentioned the name of a person, or the constriction of the throat when that person was upset, or a hundred other feelings he associated with being in love. Him, in love with Lexi? It was absurd. He was worthy of it, to be sure if anyone was worth loving it was Lexi, but him? He had never once even thought about it except to think it was just not for him. He was flattered when he knew a man saw him as appealing, but it never went beyond that.

Until he met Lexi.

He knew deep down inside that he had loved him the moment their eyes met for the first time. There had been that spark, that ineffable presence of Lexi lurking in the back of his mind. It was nestled deep in his subconscious. It started as a tickle whenever Alexander would enter the room. He would turn even before he had touched the door handle. It had progressed to knowing where in the castle he was and it had gotten to the point where they were finishing each others sentences because they knew what the other was thinking. Neither had spoken of it because Lexi did not want to drive Robin away and the bard because he felt strange to know what Lexi was feeling about him.

One outing changed their relationship forever. They had decided it was time for Robin to see Hamlet-on-the-Lake. They would travel light taking only Mist, a bay gelding named Dancer that adored Robin and hated anyone else and a black pony for Parker. He had to go because Robin insisted. “The imp needs to see some of the world before he settles into the life of a butler.” No one could find a reason not to bring him so he was going.

The trip took longer than normal because Lexi had many places for them to see. One was a very eerie place that Parker seemed scared witless of but Robin found fascinating. It was a ring of elms, twelve in all, that surrounded a shallow pool of water lined by lilies and cattails. The sun dappled the floor in spots and made for a wondrous change from the winter gray. Lexi motioned for them to follow silently and they did until Parker felt a cold chill run down his spine. He froze and would not take a step more. They led him back to the horses. “Are you okay?”

“No. That place gives me the shivers.” Parker was not one for flights of fancy either.

“It does that to some people. Watch the horses, we'll be back in an hour.” The boy nodded and set about grooming his pony. The men made their way to the ring again. As they stepped into the ring of trees dozens of dancing lights swarmed them and Robin gazed around in utter astonishment at his first encounter with the fae.

Faeries danced and sang in high pitched voices, their gossamer wings glowing in the light of the afternoon. Little fae men swung lithe fae maidens to and fro above, around and even on their heads. Lexi watch Robin as he watched them, the look on his face childlike in its wonder. When Robin saw Lexi looking he turned to him with a smile. The prince told him to take out his lute. When the faeries saw his instrument they all stopped singing and dancing and settled down on toadstools and lily pads to gaze up in rapt attention. When they were not moving the faeries looked like very sharp featured people with eyes too large for their head and long pointed ears. They wore not a stitch of clothes and there was no guile in those faces, no malice, only the joy and innocence of truly natural beings.

Robin played something soothing and the maidens sighed while the men almost went to sleep. Robin had heard that different songs affected the fae in strange ways, but he had never been able to test it until now. Faster songs seemed to inflame the passions of the women while it made the men rowdy and boisterous. Slow ones made the women swoon and the men bored. Sad ones mad them cry and huddle together for comfort, their eyes pleading for him to change his tune. Yet he could not even begin to scratch the surface of his repertoire in the hour.

Robin did not come away empty handed either. The fae, to repay him for his concert, taught him a song in their tongue. Lexi seemed to be able to converse with them after a fashion and translated for Robin their desire to teach him. So he learned a song he doubted he would ever use because it made humans dance uncontrollably. Fun, but it was a song he would archive in his Vault of music...once he built it.

When they had rejoined Parker, Robin seemed to feel very light, very worry free. He could not find the words to express what he felt and Lexi only gave him a knowing look. Something wonderful had happened to him, something he would never have happen again. It was a glimpse into a world he could never understand, one of simple joy and free of tomorrows. Just now mattered, who cared what happened in the future which may never happen?

Another stop was more mundane, no magical creatures there, but it was just as awe inspiring. Tucked away in the brambles and over piles of scree was a strange sort of natural fountain, except this fountain did not spout water. It was made of some white stone, most likely alabaster, and was a few feet in diameter at the base, standing four feet tall. The plant life around it a more vibrant shade of green and the flowers were gem like with their translucent petals veined with lines of darker mater. From the spout came not water but some sort of heavy fog like gas, a thick rainbow colored fog. It did not last much past the base of the fountain as it rolled into the foliage, but it was beautiful. “What is it?” asked Parker, destroying their mesmerized state.

“Trav and I have out theories. We both know that the fog leaves a residue behind that layers together by coloration and hardens into a very rock-like material. What it does is the speculation. It obviously changes the local plant life, but how? And why.”

Robin began to sing to himself. It was a tune he had heard a decade ago in a language he had learned soon after. The piece was haunting but almost pastoral in the phrasing with its rising and falling motion.

 

“Avar su yountu avara su,

myoru tyo m'clara su m'clara tyo.

Hyort araga nyar su to su,

Peyo lor su berga wa su.”

 

When he had finished he looked at the other two who were gaping at him. “Sorry.”

“What was that?” asked Lexi breathily. It had raised the hairs on the back of his neck.

“A song I heard years ago. A song about a place where the rainbow touches down and leaves the treasure of the land behind.” He gestured to the fountain. “The origins of leprechaun stories.”

“Is that true?”

“To the writer it was.” Robin got closer to the fountain and pulled out his dagger to chip off a coin sized sliver of some blood red stone. “If I mounted this and said it was garnet, would you believe me?” Both nodded. “It may be useless but it sure is pretty.” He pocketed the egg shaped sliver and rejoined them. Nothing else that trip could hold a candle to faeries and fog that turns into gem stones.

The city of Hamlet-on-the-Lake was aptly named for the huge lake the took up most of the area in the small valley. Robin had once seen a ship with two masts, but it was not even half the size of the massive ships that dominated the lake. He stared in open mouth shock at the profusion of life. He had grown up in a city but there were more people in the bazaar than in his entire city! The trio made their way to the huge iron gate, each one easily forty feet tall and thirty feet wide, where they were stopped for a search. “Turn out your bags,” said the bored guard. Parker was about to say something silly when Lexi just shook his head and did as ordered.

“Yorik what are you doing!?” came a voice that had to belong to a commanding officer because the guard stiffened into a quick salute. “Do you know who you have stopped?”

“It's okay, Captain Jared, he was doing a very good job.” Lexi smiled at the captain who had once taught him how to ride a horse for battle. Retired from the cavalry, Captain Jared had settled well into the role of simple guardsman with dignity.

“If you say so. Personally anyone who does not recognize a prince of the realm on sight is blind.” Yorik went as white as a sheet.

“You recognize me only because of Mist. You know only I can ride her...well Robin has and I heard that young Parker over there sat on her. Don't chide the man for doing his job, Captain, you'll give him gray hairs and yourself ulcers.” The Captain grinned and knuckled a salute as they rode past. Once out of ear shot Lexi leaned in and whispered loudly, “The Captain is a good man and a gentleman. Taught me everything I know about cavalry riding.”

“You understand armsmen well. Me? I just try to stay away from them.”

“Prudent and not a bad course, but Jared is one you holler for if you need a second in a duel.”

Robin turned his head this way and that to get a look at every new sight and inhaled deeply to see if there was any new smell to investigate. Everything seemed vibrant and new. People selling everything from mended pots and harness to jewelry to cattle were spread out among the bazaar's multitude of blankets, home made stalls and old crates where he saw at least two charlatans were cheating the people in the shell game.

No stranger to a city, Robin knew where the inns were and headed for them. “How much are you looking to spend and make, Lexi?”

“As much as we can. Wini made it perfectly clear I cover all of your expenses while you save up for your journeying.” Mentioning the journey made Robin sick. He had known that he did not want to leave Lexi to go on some damned journey that had been his entire goal up to that point. He wanted to stay there. “Are you okay?”

No, I'm not okay, he thought, I'm falling in love with a man and I don't know what to do. What he said was, “Just overwhelmed. Since Wini says you're footing the bill we'll go there.” He pointed to a huge three story inn with a garden terrace as the dining area on the roof. It had something about it he found appealing.

“I was going to recommend the Wild Lily, too, but we think alike.” Lexi had a strange almost hopeful look in his eyes but it was nothing compared to what Robin could feel. Lexi was sure that Robin was the one for him and he had only one problem about telling him and that was Robin may freak out. Robin was sure he would not freak out, he had been getting use to the idea for months, but he was not sure he could handle it. Not yet anyway.

“Well then lead on. You probably know the innkeeper by name. Gods you probably bought them the inn just to be nice.”

Lexi laughed as he trotted into the stable. “Very close, but very far. Parker, could you run our things up to the third floor, the door painted with a swan?” The boy smiled and grabbed the light sacks and entered through the servants door. “Come on, the stew is the best in the city.”

The men entered the normal way and Robin had to stop. The fragrance hit him like a blind sided punch. The scent of lilies permeated the room and everywhere he could see was green. The plants grew indoors. The décor was tasteful, elegant and seemed to suit his tastes very well. He could hear a beautifully played harp coming from the commons room, accompanied by a sultry voice better suited for love songs than epic ballads, but whoever it was sang wonderfully. “Welcome to the Wild Lily,” said a voluptuous woman whose neck line plunged almost obscenely low to reveal more cleavage than Robin had seen on two women. “Will you be wanting a room...Lexi?” Her entire manner changed from gracious, almost inviting hostess to motherly in the blink of an eye.

“Nope, just a pigment of your colorful imagination.” He stepped into her buxom embrace with a smile of fondness on his face. Whoever this woman was there was affection on both sides. “Nana, this is Robin, journeyman bard and my guest this Winter. Robin, this is Tera, the manager of the establishment and the closest thing I've ever had to a mother. She was my nursemaid until I was ten.”

That explained a lot. “Milady, your inn is by far the most beautiful I had ever had the privilege of staying, but more so because of your beauty.” He bowed over her hand and kissed it. He almost expected a twinge of something from Lexi, but there was not. The prince trusted this woman very much.

“He's a bard alright. Any guest of Lexi's is an honored guest here. Will you be gracing us with a song? Because unless my gossip is all wrong you made quite a splash at Winterfest.”

He actually blushed and Lexi gasped even as the biggest grin in the world took over his face. “I admit to making an impression. I would love to play your commons...”

“Commons? Gods above no! The Terrace.” Lexi laughed at the expression of amazement that flickered across the bard's face.

“What are you laughing at, Alexander?” Robin asked with as much fake heat as he could put into it.

“Nothing, love, nothing.” Lexi's grin slid off his face as he realized what he had just said. “Is there any of your famous stew, Nana?” he asked hurriedly to try and cover up his slip, but it was out in the open now. Lexi had just declared he loved Robin. Stupid, stupid, stupid, he chided himself.

Within Robin he was saying yay yay yay!

“Always. I never know when you are going to drop by for an inspection so I always keep a pot made.”

“You did not buy it for her, Lexi, you own it and gave it to her.” Robin chose to ignore the slip until he and Lexi could have some privacy. It was kind of hard to not smile though. His heart had done a cartwheel in his chest when he heard that word.

“She needed to have a place to go since Father would have no more children, and an inn is perfect. She can mother a lot of people this way.” He gave an inward sigh of relief. He had not noticed the slip, but Lexi would have to be very careful from now on.

“You two go on up to the terrace. I already directed that polite little boy there.”

“Wini's personal spy, son of the potter in the village, and a very good lad. Parker is his name. Call him by it and he'll love you forever.” Robin followed Lexi through a wonderfully designed hall lined with astromelia lilies and carpeted with a lush green piece that looked like growing grass.

“I am impressed. This the best inn I have ever stepped foot in.” They came to a set of stairs made of stone that looked like it was naturally supposed to be there. It lead up to the terrace and once again Robin was stunned by the simple beauty of the place. It was a perfect replica of the gardens outside Lexi's bedroom window, only smaller. The fish pond was next to the wild rose bushes and three tables ringed it. Over under the gazebo were four more tables at the base of the stage which was surrounded by climbing ivy. A small dance floor was set off to one side and tables sat along the railing for the best view of the city.

From out of nowhere came hurricane Parker. He almost knocked Robin over in his excitement. “You should see the room. There are two beds in the servants room! The main bed is as big as the one you sleep in. And the maid is pretty.” Robin had to bite back a laugh at the puppy dog eyes that Parker was making.

“I'm glad you approve.” A serving girl came over from a hidden stair and set out three bowls of stew, four crystal goblets, a basket of still warm bread and an unlit candle for later when the sun was fully down.

“Will there be anything else, Your Grace?” She asked in a timid voice. Robin knew she was smitten with the prince but knew that she had no chance. She was by far the most beautiful young lady Robin had seen. It was something about the way her eyes sparkled from some inner light that made her ordinary features extraordinary.

“No, thank you Heather. Your mother will be joining us I assume?” She nodded and left in a hurry. She glanced back once with longing.

“That girl has it bad.”

“I know, but I can't find it in me to even let her down gently. Gods above we use to be playmates when we were toddlers, now she is a lovely woman who wants a man she cannot have.”

“Station problems?” he asked feigning ignorance.

“You could say that. I care for her, but...”

“She's not for you, nor is any woman.” Robin pulled out the prince's seat for him to sit before he fainted.

“You...you knew?”

“Yes, I have for months. Since the day we met actually.” Lexi blushed, the color returning to his face. “My friend, if that is your choice in life I will support you and whomever the lucky person is. It may not mean much coming from a simple minstrel, but you have it.”

Actually it meant quite a bit, more than words could ever express. Lexi smiled broadly. “You are always full of surprises, Robin.”

“You have no idea, trust me. So, let's eat this famous stew before it gets cold.” Robin pulled out Parker's chair and helped the boy up. Parker was used to letting Robin do it his way that this no longer outwardly shocked him. Robin took a bite and froze, his eyes drifting shut in a moment of ecstasy. “Gods, this is fantastic.” He resumed chewing slowly to savor each bite.

“I know.”

“You know what?” Nana asked as she came over with a pitcher of some red liquid.

“That your stew is just about the closest thing to manna.”

“It is not...”

“Milady, takes this from a person who has dined with peasants and kings. This is by far the best stew I have ever eaten.” Robin's words oozed sincerity and it made her night to hear it.

“I try.” Tera could see her former charge was head over heels for this undeniably handsome man, and that the bard returned it but was unsure. She knew that Lexi no longer needed her to change his swaddling or mind him, but she could not help but feel protective of him still after almost a decade. “So what brings you boys to town?”

“For me I wanted to show my friend here what a city really was. Plus he could meet you and have some of this food for the gods.” He shoveled a huge spoonful into his mouth and smiled around it like a chipmunk. It was just about the most adorable thing Robin had ever seen. Gods above, the man was so charming. “Plus he turns seventeen in two weeks and I've been planning on torturing him, knowing I would buy his gift here and he could not look at it.” Robin looked at him like he was either the sweetest man or the most vile, evil thing to walk the earth.

Tera poured a glass of the drink for everyone. “Strawberry apple cider. Lexi's favorite.”

“And you keep it on hand should he show up.”

“And I make it myself.”

Robin grinned and took a sip. There was more to it than simple strawberry and apple juice, something that gave it a sweetness that was more sugary than was natural. “I like it. Tangy, sweet, a hint of watermelon I think, and something else I cannot identify.”

“Very good. There is some watermelon in there.” Several more patrons were arriving for their own supper on the terrace. “I'll let you boys eat.” She got up and escorted them to their tables.

“I like her, Lexi. She is an amazing woman, a wonderful cook, and she knows everything about you...all the juicy gossip.” The evil grin he gave him was so horrible Lexi did not know whether to laugh or get angry. Robin had shown a knack for getting information out of anyone and he thought that Nana would last longer than most if it were important to him, but the common gossip she would spill to the world.

“Maybe we should have stayed at the Cockerel,” he mumbled into his drink.

Robin was about to reply when he felt something was out of place. Some detail he had overlooked when he had come in, but the feeling lessened. Someone was or had been watching them so intently that he could feel the weight of their gaze. It was not unusual for a bard to attract attention, or a prince for that matter, so he just passed it off as overzealous fanatics. He ate quickly and downed his drink. “I'm going to go freshen up. What should I play first?”

“Something that does not include the words love or hate.”

“There goes ninety percent of my repertoire.” He left grumbling.

“You should go help him, Parker.” The boy nodded and was off like a shot. Once they were gone Lexi turned to glare at a potted plant. “Give me one good reason I should not call the city watch and have you arrested.”

A person slinked out from the foliage and sat. “Then you would not know why I have broken laws to be here, Alexander.”

“You have broken many laws, why should these stop you? I know you have been following Robin, Minah, but this is brave even for you.” It was. The guildmaster was not known to go abroad by day for obvious reasons and for him to show himself in one of the most crowded inns was foolhardy.

“True and true, but I am here as a more precautionary measure than for business.”

Lexi had to wonder what the assassin was up to. He was known to warn targets they were being set up for a hit, especially when there was profit to be made and some sort of boundaries had been crossed. Lexi would not pay the elf, which Minah knew, so that meant someone had crossed some line he did not know about. “Then?”

“Someone has placed a twenty thousand gold piece bounty on his head.” Lexi whistled low. That was quite a sum for a simple minstrel. “This message was delivered to our guild magically, so whoever did it has connections in high places.”

“Why warn us?”

“The boy is one of the most promising sonomagi I have ever seen and that is saying something being one myself. I want to train him.” So he had personal stock in Robin. An apprentice would be a good thing, but Robin was no assassin.

“Sonomagi? You mean his spell songs actually have a name?”

“Of course. But a name will not stop poisoning, the method they asked one of my competitors to use.” So Minah's guild had turned down the hit. Again not unheard of for the assassin. He turned down contracts regularly if there was something to be gained by not killing them, in this case an apprentice. Lexi knew that until Robin had given the elf a definite answer he would have no need to fear Minah...unless he took too long to answer. Even elves had finite patience.

“I will tell him of your interest in him and that he should be cautious. He knows your profession and can guess at more than I would know.”

The killer could tell that was the most he was going to get out of the man and nodded. “Good. My apologies for interrupting your meal, Your Grace. Have a pleasant evening.” The elf seemed to fade from view and left Lexi feeling anxious. Someone was out to kill Robin, and that left only two sources. One would be nearly impossible to trace because they lived across the border in Rendol. The other did not take a sage to guess at.

* * *

The trio stayed in the city for a week and it seemed that Parker was having more fun than the rest. His duties were heavier as they all went shopping for many things, most of which Robin would use on his journey, and he had to lead the pack horse or carry things himself. Not that the men made him, it just turned out that their shopping trips needed a small caravan to port all the goods. Small cookware, food that could keep for the journey, tailoring kit to repair clothes or make new ones, extra lute strings even though the ones he had would never break or wear out. Parker was in charge of getting it back to the inn and he seemed to tackle the task with an energy the men found exhausting. He found hands when none were around, paying handsomely for their services and honesty because half of the items went back to the Wild Lily unsupervised. Nothing came up missing.

One such outing was for his protection. The best weapon smith lived in the city in the shabbier part of town, a fact the did not concern any of them. They found the shop easily and went to open the door but it was locked. A small sign in the corner of the window said the shop would open at sunset and close at sunrise. “And you are sure he's the best?” asked Robin jokingly.

“Nathan will buy from no one else.” Good enough for Robin. If the Captain of the royal guard shopped here then this person was truly gifted. Odd, but gifted.

They trekked back to the main part of the city to find a bowyer. A specific one by the way Lexi was passing every shop until he came to one tucked away in the back alley. “Why do you choose the ones with the smallest shops and ones that take hours to get to?”

“There is a reason such shops are still here when the bigger ones get more customers.” Robin nodded at that one. When they entered this shop Parker was suddenly the rudest person in the world. He openly stared and gaped and pointed at the shopkeeper. “Parker, behave yourself.” Lexi was shocked he was acting like this. Normally Parker was the soul of discretion and courtesy.

“It is quite understandable for the little colt to wonder at something new. Concern yourself not with his actions for I know they are born of innocence rather than malice.” The shopkeeper's voice was deep and mellow like a rolling pasture would sound if it gave utterance. “What brings you to my shop, Prince Alexander de Aren, last scion of the house of Miller?”

“I come to purchase a bow for my friend. Something that will serve him as faithfully as my own has, Master Bowyer Chet of the Moon Hide Herd.” Robin guessed that formality was essential when dealing with centaurs. The beast stood well over ten feet tall with hooves...and hands... the size of dinner plates, startling blue eyes in a very tanned face and almost silver hair and hide. His arms made Lexi's look like string and that was not even because of the nearly doubled height. He was heavily muscled form years of pulling a bow and by the looks of it he could shoot just as well left handed. “This is Bard Robin, apprenticed to the late Master Meadowlark. Robin, you stand in the presence of Master Bowyer Chet of the Moon Hide Herd, may the sun warm his withers for years to come.”

Robin got the feeling that this formality was more from respect. “I welcome you as my guest, Bard Robin, and lament the passing of your mentor.”

“I thank you for your welcome, Master Bowyer Chet, and will add your lamentations to those of others when Master Meadowlark's song is written.” The centaur inclined his head gravely. To be added to a song a lamentation was an honor among centaurs, or so Robin had been taught. Like he ever thought he would need to worry about the very reclusive people.

“Come, let us speak of happier subjects such as bows.” There was a subtle shifting in his facial muscles and Lexi started to laugh. Robin guessed it was a centaurish joke. Chet was grinning.

They got down to the business at hand, most of the long winded formality gone. Chet had an eye for wood and bone, knowing instinctively what he could fashion out of any piece. He measured Robin's draw, his height, and then he asked what Robin wanted out of the bow. “I want reliability. Not a toy, but nothing too heavy. Does that help?” He was not sure he had made any sense.

“Yes. I will bring you a few samples of what I am capable of making and let you choose.” He went clomping off to the back of his store.

“He seems like a nice enough person.”

“He's one of the best bowyers in Lycenia, he's well mannered, but never nice. It's not in a centaur to be nice to a two-legger, polite is the best you'll get.”

“Why?”

“No idea, they were his words.” Lexi shrugged.

Chet came back in with four bows that looked far more expensive than Robin wanted Lexi to spend on him, but if he was not given the best Wini would hear of it and then all hell would happen. Robin looked over each one, noting very different bows. “This one,” he said of a simple bow that was smaller than the rest. “It's good from horseback or standing.”

“Correct, Bard Robin. I believe you will find it suitable and the one I make for you will be more to your taste.” Robin nodded as if he understood. Wasn't he going to get this one?

“When do you believe it will be finished, Master Bowyer Chet?”

“Two days.” With that he turned and went to the back room again. It was very clear they were dismissed.

Once outside Robin could only shake his head at the strange behavior of the centaur. “I hope his bows were worth that.”

“Worth what?” Lexi asked.

“You being dismissed worse than I've ever seen Frederick send a servant off on an errand.” Robin only shook his head and stalked off towards the inn.

“Take no offense to him, Robin. That is simply his nature and I knew that when I went there.” Lexi was wondering why Robin seemed so heated about something that did not even bother him.

“Still, no one should be sent away like that. If not because you are a prince of the realm then because you are human...”

“And he is not. You are judging him by our race's standards and he may not even think the same way.” He laid his hand on Robin's shoulder. It was a rare occurrence, Lexi seeming to know that Robin, while being a very caring and open individual, was not one for bodily contact. He would shake hands easily, but even something so simple as a pat on the back sometimes made him uncomfortable. The bard looked at the hand, not in that “take it off or lose it look” but like he was surprised by his lack that look. “My friend, don't worry about the centaur. His bows are worth a little humbling.”

Robin rolled his eyes. “You are about the most humble person I know, except for Father Ethan maybe.” He took a breath and pushed away his frustrations. “Come on, I could use a drink.”

“You? I've never seen you even drink watered mead.”

“I meant Tera's fruit punch.” He ruffled Lexi's hair and scooped up Parker and put him on his shoulders. “Then the two of us are going to be the scandal of the entire city.”

“We are?”

“Yes. You and I, oh charming prince, are going to put on a show right over...there.” He pointed to some random street corner where there was a lot of traffic but no performer. “But I have one more stop I would like to make before we have fun.” That stop was a jewelers where Robin had that rainbow stone set into a pendant of gold. He had asked if the jeweler knew the stone.

“I have never seen its equal. It is rarer than even garnets. Where did you get it?”

“That, my good shopkeep, is a secret I shall take to my grave.” The gem cutter took the shavings that were removed from the stone so it would fit as payment. Then they went back to the inn to get ready for their scandal. This would be fun.

Robin had seen how living like a prince was and he found it a good vacation from his real life, but he needed to stay in touch with the people, to know what they wanted, to remember who he was. Lexi seemed to sense his need for this simple thing and he was curious how living like a minstrel was. Robin had done a number on his costume. Rather he had gone to a second hand cart where they sold mended clothes and had bought all three of them their outfits for the rest of the day. Simple, threadbare in spots, and perfect for a down on their luck performing troupe. Smudge a little dirt on Parker's face to make his cheeks look a little more sunken and he was set. The only problems were their lutes. There was no mistaking the fact that they were masterworks and cost more than most peoples homes. “There may be a way,” Lexi had said and closed his eyes.

Robin knew he was preparing to cast some sort of spell but it was not one he had ever learned. His spells were all gestures or a short phrase. One would do nothing but conjure a rose, another a ball of light, and one would make his voice louder. Performer's magics and ones anyone could learn. Simple compare to what Lexi could cast. Robin only caught a few phrases that sounded anything like a spell he had cast. When he was done the air around the lute shimmered and their entire appearance had altered to that of cheaply made and almost unplayable lute. “That works.”

“Good.” Lexi snagged his costume and went to his half of the room to change.

Robin caught Parker's eye and nodded him out of the room. The boy went with his own minute nod and went to change for his part. Robin did up his disguise and then walked over to sit on the lounge chair. “Lexi, we need to talk.”

“About what?” he asked although his tone said he knew exactly what the topic of conversation was going to be. He had been dreading this since he had slipped and now it had come.

“What you called me in the foyer of the inn.” Lexi's posture stiffened.

“I had hoped you had missed that,” he mumbled.

“I chose to ignore it until we could talk. In private.” Lexi nodded with his back still to Robin. “I need to ask some questions for my own sanity and I hope you'll give me the honest truth.” He waited and eventually Lexi nodded again. His posture became limp almost as if he was setting himself up for some sort of disappointment. “How do you feel about me? The whole of it.”

“Gee, ask the easy questions first!” he said sarcastically. “I've never been one to rush into things when matters of the heart are concerned. I always knew I liked men and knew that there would be an uphill battle if I ever met that one person for me. So few people talk about it.” The shirt he had in his hands fell to the floor and he went to stand by the balcony doors and leaned on the frame with his arms crossed. How could such a powerful body seem so vulnerable, so suddenly? “I've only been serious about one person in my entire life and he...he hurt me very badly.” Robin felt himself get angry. Who would dare hurt this man? Robin was livid. “After that I was not interested in anything to do with anyone. I just did what I have done my entire life and try and help out, never getting close enough to form any sort of a bond.” His voice quavered a bit and Robin fought the urge to go and hold him. There was some more to this than just a heart break. Whoever this person was he had done more than just hurt him. If Robin went to do what he felt he needed to do, to go and hold him, he would never get any answers.

“Then you come floating into my life. I did the only thing that was right when I saved your life and I have never once regretted it. I thought I would bring you home, patch you up and then send you on your way much as I had several dozen other people I had run across that just needed a helping hand.” He chuckled but there was no warmth to it. “Then you opened your eyes...your beautiful golden brown eyes I always seem to just barely avoid falling into and being lost forever. I knew. Then and there I knew that I loved you. There was no going back once we made eye contact, but my past haunted me so I did my best to hold you at a friendly distance but not seem to.” He wiped away an unseen tear and Robin felt his own eyes overflow. “Then you turned out to be such a good person on the inside that I let down my guard enough to get to know you past that oh so stunning exterior. Because really? Are you that gorgeous? Can the gods be that cruel to tempt me with a man so stunning and perfectly pleasing to the eye?

“So I've been trying to bury it so I could remain friends with you, just to be near you. I figured that was enough and it has been. Just seeing you makes my day and seeing you smile makes my week. Gods above I had never meant to say any of this, but there you go. It's out there, like one of those nameless entities. For better or worse I am so far in love with you that if you leave I will not live to see another day.”

Robin had asked for an honest answer and got one so honest he should have kept his mouth shut. He had known Lexi liked him but they had known each other only for a few months. His depth of feeling could not be more than a crush, he had been sure. Boy was he ever wrong...and he was so happy about it! Robin had to think. Lexi loved him. He loved Lexi. He could think that much at least. Could he give up his dream and join the prince and his world, to deal with the nasty looks from Raven and Frederick, the court intrigue that wanted to pull on him every which way? Could he give it all up? “Yes,” he whispered. He knew he could and would if that is what Lexi asked of him. He may never become a full bard, but he could still play his music, could still gather the songs he could and maybe start that library here in Lycenia. “Does Trav approve?”

“I think he likes you as much as I do for different reasons. Wini approves, even Mist does and she hates anyone other than me and Trav...and now you. My Father...well, I believe he knows more than he lets on. So, yes, the family that means anything thinks you're a good person.”

“Would you do anything to be with me? Give up all this and join me on the road?” He had to know if the feeling was returned.

“Gods above I'd do it in a heart beat.” That he said with so much conviction that Robin had to smile.

He stood and walked soundlessly to wrap his arms around Lexi's shoulders. The prince jumped but settled immediately into the embrace. Their bodies fit so well together. “Good, because then I know if the whole palace life gets too much we can leave together.” Lexi turned to look up at him, hope in his eyes. “I have never felt this way and it scares me. I've had romantic encounters with women that meant little more than a warm place to sleep and a hot meal. I once thought I loved a girl, but it was nothing compared to the way I feel when you smile, how your eyes brighten up the room and shame the sun, how your laugh is the most wondrous music I could never hope to reproduce. I've never once considered holding a man the way we are right now.” Lexi smiled up at him and snuggled closer. “But this feels right. I knew when I woke up to see you and Mist that my life would never be the same.” His voice caught as a lump rose in his throat. “Bear with me. I...I can't believe I'm feeling this let alone saying it. I love you Lexi.” This last part came out a whisper.

“You mean that?” He was suddenly cautious. He even felt cautious.

“Look inside you for something that does not quite match what is you.” Lexi looked confused but did as he was asked. His eyes lost that luster as he went into some sort of trance state, a similar one to Trav or Ethan when they were pondering something that required so much of their attention that they shut out the rest of the world. Robin could feel him searching for the sensation of difference that he found with ease. Perhaps since his own magic, one that let him affect emotions, gave him a better understanding of it. When Lexi brushed the area that was nestled deep in his mind he came back and mentally stared at it. Robin opened up his heart and poured everything into that place. All his love, his fears, his uncertainty were laid bare. Lexi's eyes opened wide in pleased shock and he stared up into his eyes.

“Is that...you?” Robin nodded. “Do you know how...” He shook his head. He had not come up with anything from any gossip or folktale that spoke of something like this. There were songs, but they were tall tales. “You do love me. I... can tell. I recall feeling something strange a few times when you were unhappy or angry and I wondered why I would feel that. Now I know.” They shared a smile and Robin could tell what Lexi wanted, but he was not ready for that yet. Lexi knew that Robin was not ready for that next step and let him know without words it was his call. “Gods above Trav is going to be a pain.”

“Why?”

“He is going to tell me 'I told you so' at least a thousand times.” Robin chuckled and laid his forehead on Lexi's. “I could stand here all day, but we need to get to that corner.”

“Somehow it does not seem so important now.” Robin could not believe he had even said that, but he was telling the truth.

“You would give up your dream for me?” Robin nodded. “No, you won't. You'll get your library and I will help you do it.” Lexi seemed very adamant about it.

“It will happen, Lexi, when it does. I'm in no rush any more.” The prince just watched for some sort of apprehension, but he found none. There was some fear of the unknown, but no second thoughts about any of this.

* * *

The room was filled with an acrid smoke that made Raven cough, but this was necessary. He had been busy these last months and he was ready to proceed with his plans. He only needed to retrieve the final ingredient for it and that had to come from outside this realm. Years of planning would be done by the end of the month and he would reap the rewards of his long and faithful service to his master. Once he was done he would be set high above any mortal king, but that would be a few more years as he grew into his power. He had to wait for the full power to come to him during a very rare alignment of the planets. That was ten years away.

Tracing the last lines of an ancient glyph, Raven retrieved a pouch from his desk, and holding his breath lest he breathe in the fumes, he opened it and cast the powder on to the circle. The powder never touched to floor as it began to swirl within the confines of the circle into a tight ball. Lightning flashed inside the warded area and struck the ball once, twice, thrice before it exploded. There, in the now settling dust, stood a demon. It towered over any mortal man by six feet and it's leathery bat-like wings were half unfurled. The pale white flesh glowed a midnight blue slashed with ice, it sinister malevolent eyes a simmering poison green. Two horns jutted from its forehead and curved back around its ears. Our master sends his regards, human, came the otherworldly voice of the demon.

“I give homage and praise to Malachai, mightiest of Lords whom we serve.” Had any lesser servant uttered the name of the Fell One they would have been struck dead instantly, but Raven had served faithfully, and The Fell One was pleased with his follower.

Our master asks if it is time.

“It is time. The last ingredient is needed.” The demon's grinning visage was terrifying to behold, but Raven had dealt with its ilk and knew well the fear he would feel.

Have you a caster? Asked the demon, knowing that this puny human could not cast the spells.

“He will be ready within the week.”

Good. Our master is well pleased. Do not fail him. The demon narrowed his eyes. There is a threat I sense, one that would halt centuries of meticulous work.

“Name this threat and it shall be removed.”

Beware the Two That Are One who wield the Sword of Jur'atel. Beware He Who Is The Vanguard and the protector of the Two That Are One, for they shall bring an end to all of this.

“Have you names, servant of the mighty Malachai?”

One dwells within the other a red breast who is shadowed by a Watcher who will knight the Vanguard. This made no sense. Who could live within another and be followed by a watcher? And this sword. He had heard of it before, but where? He would have to study quickly.

“They will be dealt with.” The demon nodded and seemed to swell in size until he exploded. There, in the circle, was a small bone fragment. Raven scuffed his toe through the edge of his measured work and canceled the spells of binding. Once done he gently picked up the bone and put it in an ensorcelled box on his shelf. With this task out of the way he opened a window to clear the air and removed all trace of his work lest anyone come snooping. He more had work to do.

Copyright © 2014 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 05/23/2014 01:38 PM, Foster said:
This was a wonderful chapter, I like.
Got the next three chapters queued. Thanks for sticking with this one, Foster. It's kind of a long one.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..