Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 12,200 Words
  • 2,642 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Bard and the Prince - 11. Chapter 11

They landed in the wee hours of the morning outside of the Wild Lily and still Lexi had not said a word. Twice Robin had to tell him they were here and the took him two more times to get more than a nod. “Oh, I'm sorry, Robin, I'm just thinking.”

ABOUT? But he got no answer, just that brooding silence. Shelby just undid the prince's straps and helped him off. People were staring at the troupe. PARKER, TELL TERA WHERE WE WILL BE IF SHE NEEDS US. He nodded and seemed to escort Lexi in like an invalid. He obviously knew this mood and knew he would snap out of it when he did. Shelby threw on a cloak and put up the hood to follow them inside, a pair of rapiers out and in his gloved hands. They had found one limitation in their forms. They could not keep them while they slept whereas Robin and Lexi could just fine. Nothing major but one thing to think about if they were ever attacked. What good was a gold turtler in battle save for the one ability the possessed which erected a barrier of energy that would stop almost anything? Or a mockingbird that could sing songs that must be heard to have any effect? A wolf at least could help in that moment it took for the others to change.

The fliers followed Robin to the lake where he had dug his entrance to the tunnels. He shifted to his green dragon form and slid into the water gentle as a kiss. “One problem, Robin, I have no aquatic form. All fliers.”

I WILL TAKE YOUR SADDLE AND BELONGINGS THROUGH THE TUNNEL. JUST FLY BACK AND THROUGH THE WINDOW WHILE WE DRAGONS SLIDE THROUGH HERE. The griffin shifted to a new form, a white snow owl with the barest of turquoise at the tips of his feathers. All of his belongings fell to the turf and he took off with a hoot. ALL I GET ARE DRAGONS. WELL, FOR THE THREE NECKLACES I'VE TRIED.

Try the others now. Perhaps there is something more...unobtrusive. He nodded and slipped out of the saddle before taking a few steps along shore in case it was something larger than he expected. He knew each stone very well and thought about the jet black one. From his emerald green body he shrank to a smaller dragon still larger than a horse but with an almost skeletal look to his face, deep midnight black scales that did not shine and forwards spiraling ram horns. The drake took a step back. For the life of me you are my friend but I am terrified right now. He tucked his tail between his legs and tried to back up.

Robin quickly thought about the diamond he wore and the shift was painful for the first time in months as he grew to much larger than anything yet. Larger than the Wild Lily, this dragon had almost translucent scales and a very streamlined look. His elongated face was made more prominent from the two foot long spike that protruded from his snout straight forward. As he exhaled billows of smoke came from each nostril. Though the largest of his forms so far it was not frightening to Hunter. SO, HOW DO I LOOK?

Like a big dragon that would love to pet kittens. No one would be scared of you like this. If I remember correctly you are a smoke dragon and they were the only ones of the species to befriend humans. If he was a smoker then yes. They had no fear presence that all other dragons and drakes had and tended towards the lighthearted rather than brutish. Most tales of smokers were of one dying a heroes death, saving a village from a marauding red or black. Not that Robin would trust anyone nowadays to remember a smoke dragon on sight. If it comes down to a need of help during the night I suggest this form.

I DID NOT THINK PRIESTS STUDIED DRAGONS. Robin let out a billow of smoke that would choke someone rather than kill them.

There is much time to contemplate every religion, even those incidental ones and not the primal Gods. The followers of Tia'mat, the Dragon Queen, believe that smoke dragons are her heralds of peace to her people. Robin did not know there was a religion that followed dragons at all.

Robin thought about the one last necklace and knew from the moment he was changing that was no dragon. Draconian, yes, but not a dragon. He shrank dramatically to something not much taller than he would be and Hunter could tell he was meant to walk on his hind legs like a human. The wings seemed overly large and would almost drag on the ground as he walked on four toed claws. A five fingered hand replaced the three toed claw of the dragon; the opposable thumb would make this form nothing to tangle with when it came to armed combat. A deep barrel chest with heavy muscles for flight was armored with a dark blue skin rather than scales. When Robin stood his short tail unfurled to keep his balance. He was silhouetted against the smallest moon and Hunter would swear that it was a human/dragon crossbreed. He had no horns, only a ridge of scales that made for a heavy brow. A wide nose that seemed almost too flat for a human nose. Thin but obvious lips and a strong jaw. When he turned to look at Hunter the drake could see those amber gold eyes glowing with slitted black pupils. “I do believe this is no dragon.” The voice was his own and not modified by the heavy accent of reptilian hissing.

No, not a dragon. If you wore a cloak you could pass for a human in the night. Except for your feet and hands. Robin looked at his feet. Nope, not human. Neither were his clawed and scaled hands, yet they were hands and not paws or claws. Robin stretched out his wings to their fullest and they felt denser than his dragon wings had.

“I can fly by sheer power,” he surmised. “Much like you. Would that I had a mirror.” Then he chuckled. “Probably shatter from my looks.”

Actually, you look quite handsome in a stern and sharp angled way. Rugged almost save for the scales that stop mostly at your jawline. Robin felt along his rough skinned face and then touched the scales at his jaw. A few stuck up further than the line but he felt mostly human in the face. You should resume your swimming form, Robin. He nodded and they were on their way in a few moments. The night had not been a total waste of time. He now knew what each necklace did and he had a form that could pass as human at a glance.

When they got back to the Lily Lexi was there with a look of wanting to say something profound. “I am an idiot.” Robin started laughing and had to have help taking off the saddle again because he could not stop. “I am!”

WHY COME TO THIS OBVIOUS CONCLUSION, LOVE? I'VE KNOWN IT FOR MONTHS. Robin settled down to listen to why he thought he was an idiot.

“You've been telling me for as long as I've known you that no commoner would expect kindness from a nobleman. I just passed it off as you being from a different land and having seen different customs. But you weren't kidding, were you? No one who was not born into riches or at least comfort would expect anything other than disdain or at best ignorance.” Robin nodded. Lexi had just shrugged it off like Robin was being silly or foreign. Surely someone in the noble caste was nice to those society deemed his inferiors. But no, no one had been nice to those of decent yet humble birth. “Am I really that odd to care about my people? To wonder if too many are going hungry while I ate glazed duck?”

WHAT BROUGHT THIS ON?

“Adam. He looked so shocked, so flabbergasted that anyone from the upper class would notice him and his family when they did not want pottery. Was what my father did so rare?” He could only nod.

ESPECIALLY FOR A KING TO PUT IN HIS WILL. MAYBE AN ACRE OF LAND TO A BELOVED SERVANT WHO DESERVED SOMETHING FOR LONG AND FAITHFUL YEARS, THAT IS NOT UNHEARD OF. BUT A THOUSAND GOLD CROWNS? ENOUGH TO BUY MORE LAND THAN ANY ONE MAN NOT BORN WITH THAT SILVER SPOON IN HIS MOUTH? ONLY IN THE TALES ARE KINGS SO GENEROUS. Robin smiled and placed a claw on his shoulder. PERHAPS ONE DAY THERE WILL BE A BARD WHO SINGS OF KING HORATIO THE KIND WHO GIFTED A LOWLY POTTER WITH A CHEST OF GOLD FOR SIMPLY RAISING A GOOD SON.

“What does that say about my land? That all its nobles are so into themselves that they do not notice when a boy does a valorous deed and if they do they do not reward it? My father made a very public gesture when he allowed Nathan to train him, a public favoring of a boy. Then with his dying Will he left that boy's family...is it all so strange to everyone?”

Robin settled down for a rest and nodded. They knew the sun was rising as they changed form, Lexi shifting almost instantly into his cat o' nine shape. “It is such an oddity. Think back to my first week. Did I react like some person used to such treatment? Do I still?”

No, you seemed so shocked. You still get a look in your eyes every now and then when you see something that does not fit how the world works. He yawned and curled up in his own clothes to sleep. Hunter did the same, resuming his wolf shape and tucking his nose under his tail.

“Rest well, Charrinda. For all the work you do for this land you deserve it.”

* * *

When Robin woke late into the afternoon he found Parker pacing the floor with a look of pent up need to scream. “You'll wear a hole in the floor, imp.” Parker whirled on him and jumped on the bed with the biggest grin. “Help, crazy child attack!” He grabbed him and began to tickle him before he could even get a breath. “Wait to attack me will you? You will never win!” He shrieked like a banshee which brought Tera with her strange wand into the room.

“Oh. I thought someone was dying up here.” She smiled as she watched them thinking that Robin would be a great father if they should ever want a child of their own. “He's been waiting up here for you to wake up since after lunch.”

“Oh.” Robin stopped tickling him and let him breathe. “Why didn't you tell me?” Parker was still trying to calm down and gave him a very rude gesture. Tera narrowed her eyes which dropped the temperature in the room down to freezing. “That will be enough of that in the presence of a lady.” Although where he learned would be interesting to know. Robin knew the gesture, as did anyone over the age of ten to his knowledge. “Honestly.”

“I'm sorry, Nana. I could not say what I felt. Bad words in front of a lady is worse than the gesture.” She let her eyes resume their normal size and the room resumed it's previous temperature. “Do you know how hard it is to talk when you can't breathe?” She just rolled her eyes and left the room. Parker looked at Robin who was trying to look stern but ended up look constipated. They burst into laughter and Robin threw back the covers which buried the boy and got up to go wash up.

“So why have you been haunting my room all afternoon waiting for me to wake up?” He splashed water on his face and in his hair. There came a muffled reply that Robin could have sworn was another inventive curse but could not be sure. “What was that? I can't hear you from under the covers.” He smiled in the mirror as Parker's head poked out of the pile of blankets looking like an angry wet puppy with his hair sticking every which way.

“Lexi wants to see you in the lowers. It does not bode well for our chances at this first wizard.” His face was grim and eyes emotionless. Must be bad if Parker was resorting to his passive butler training to deliver the message. Yet not so bad that they waited for him to wake up.

“I'll be down when I'm bathed if it can wait that long.” He nodded and scampered out of the room. Robin took a cold bath to wake him up and was dressed in simple clothes just in case they had to strip mid meeting for the change. He was still brushing his lengthening hair when he took the last step into the lowers.

“SURPRISE!” yelled everyone there. Robin stopped and stared. He was actually seeing banners strung up with his name on them, many streamers of light cloth that turned the somewhat drab walls into a riot of color. A table had been set up with a cake, several pitchers of Nana's famous nectar and a few other flavors, stew, assorted fruits and vegetables with dressing for dipping. Another was set up with gifts in wrapped packaging that all had his name on them. Tera came over to place a festive hat on his head and led him over to where Lexi was looking pleased as punch. Heather was dressed in a dress more suited to a summer ball than a drab underground gathering. In fact everyone, including Parker, looked ready to attend a ball. Even Lexi wore a little hat on his head which made his feline ears stick out to the sides.

“This is the problem that could stop us from taking on a wizard?” he mumbled. “What is all this?”

Well, we never got to celebrate you turning seventeen. His jaw dropped. He realized in all the drama of the curse and then them having to deal with it he had been a man for months. There had been no time when he was just seventeen and afterward he completely forgot about it. Everyone there watched his eyes cloud up and he was smiling through the tears.

“You are all a bunch of stinkers. You did not have to do all this.” But they had and he felt ten feet tall. “Whose idea was this?”

Actually, Trav's. He wanted to throw you one when everything settled, but then Nathan died and, well... He trailed off with a sad smile. Robin wished that everyone could be here. Trav, Nathan. Ethan, and King Horatio. Since he was wishing he added his father and Master Meadowlark in there as well. But here was his family. Everyone who could be here, was.

“Thanks. All of you. Really, this was not expected and was so needed.” For all of us, he thought. He took a breath and dispelled the bad thoughts. This was a party for him and he was not going to spend it worrying about anything else except how adorable Lexi looked in that hat.

“Presents first.” Nana sat him in a chair and brought over the first present. “This one is from His Majesty, rest his soul.” His eyes widened. When had the king got this for him? Had he been planning to give it to him all those months ago? Robin untied the string on the box that was very light for its size. When he opened it everyone leaned forward to see. Robin lifted up a suit of finely crafted chainmail, each link delicate in its strength and polished to a glossy shine. Everyone oohed and aahed at the master craftsmanship of a suit that was obviously made for him. Robin smiled and held it up to himself. Thank you, Your Majesty, wherever you are.

Not even Lexi had known what was in the box when he had been given it and it had taken every bit of stealth to keep Robin from finding his gifts. Open the next one! He urged. He always loved birthday parties just to watch the person's reaction to what they were given. Nathan and his first cavalry horse, Ethan and his first holy writ with his name in the front, Trav with his first scrying crystal. Heather brought over the one from Ethan. It was a small box that weighed far more than it should. Robin carefully set the armor aside and opened this new gift. Lexi was not surprised to see the holy writ on top, he gave one to everyone he met if he could. Yet when he picked that book out of the box there was another one beneath it and a short note.

Robin,

You and I have known each other but a short time yet you have brought joy into the life of my family. For that you shall always have my blessings for when you and my brother finally get together. This last book is something I should not necessarily be sharing, but your dream and mine coincide with this one. May the True God, and Sonoh, shelter you in their hands for all time.

Sincerely yours,

Ethan

penned the date of our True Lord in the first week of the First month

in the year 1257

Robin smiled at the note and passed it to Lexi. Ethan had written this the day they left for their first trip here to Hamlet-on-the-Lake. Nice of him to mention his own god in his note. “Seems he knew before I did too.” Lexi read it and purred. It made both of them feel so much better to know that Ethan did not think they were tainted by their love for each other. Robin set the holy writ, which he would read cover to cover just for Ethan and to honor a god who had honored him, and opened the last book. “Lexi! He...he gave me a copy of their songs. By the look of it all of them.” He was smiling as he thumbed through a brand new book and came to a section that he paused at. The color drained from his face. “Lexi? Did you know the church used songs for healing?” Lexi shook his head. It was not common knowledge that the church used magic at all. They kept it veiled in miracles. Their magic did seem to stem from their faith in the True God so no one could nay say them, yet it was magic. Robin seemed to hear the melody in his head as he looked at the notes on the page. “Someone take this before I read it all night.” Hunter took the books, treating each with reverence as he placed them back in their box and put them on the table away from the food.

Next came the present from Nathan. It did not take and elder sage to know what throwing daggers and a rapier looked like wrapped in leather sheaths and a thin cloth. When they were unwrapped Robin's eyes lit up. The blades were standard, nothing fancy which meant he was supposed to use them not wear them, yet the cross guard on the rapier and stamped into the hilt of the daggers were robins inlaid with rubies. They were robins in flight and soaring over a stylized treble clef. Robin could not use throwing daggers yet, but he would learn. Lexi could teach him. Gods above he wished they were here so he could thank them from their gifts. Shelby took them so he could continue before he began dwelling on the past.

The next one would be the last of the absent family. Also the hardest for him. The package was long and slender and rattled a bit when he took it. “Trav would not have given me a rattle snake would he?” They laughed while he looked for a way to open the seamless box. “Damn wizards.” He realized what he had to do, yet he was no good at a spell of unsealing. He could get simple spells but this was magic he was no good at. “You are a sick man, Travis. Gods above I wish you were here so you could be laughing at me.” He tried to cast the spell and failed. Cast fail. “Lexi?”

Never could get that one either. He pulled the same trick on me on my seventeenth. Welcome to the family. Lexi was kind of enjoying this, it was a wizardly initiation into manhood, but he was struggling to cast a spell he could not at a time when it should not have to be.

Bleluth unrapa,” said Winter Heart from across the room and the box's end flowered open.

“Thanks, feather...wait. Since when could you cast spells? Other than singing one.” Robin looked at him.

“Since now. There is so much I do not remember about who I am, but when you were struggling I remembered that spell and a few others. Who knows what knowledge is trapped within each of us. Yet this day is about you, Robin. Look inside.” Robin nodded and tipped the box on its end to look. He saw two items that were strangely familiar to him, like he had seen them before. From the box he pulled a pair of sticks with ornate carvings along the length. One was topped with a gemstone the color of the rainbow, its colors ever changing even when it was at rest. The gem was held by a bird claw made of gold. The other stick was topped with a rounded gold cap. “Well well, seems your wizardly friend knew his stuff.”

“What is it then, feather head?” Lexi purred his happiness. He knew what it was for, he had one somewhere in that magical chest. Never used it, too unwieldy, yet he had one.

“That is the staff of a sonomagi.” Robin looked clueless. “You've never heard the term?” He shook his head. Lexi realized he had completely forgotten to tell Robin about the meeting with Minah. “They are sound wizards, singing mages. Simply put bards with magic.”

“A wizard staff? Trav gave me a wizard staff?” He looked incredulous. “Why? I'm no wizard.”

Well, most of it is customary to give a spell caster a staff when he reaches manhood. You did train under him for a brief time. He knew the potential was there and he's unlocked that with the few lessons he gave you. That staff will make any sonomagi spell you cast stronger. Lexi smiled as much as he could when he watched the info sink in.

“That staff is ready to be used in battle too,” Shelby said gruffly. “It won't break even against an enchanted sword. You know how to use a quarterstaff?” Robin shook his head. “I know you do Lexi.” He nodded. “Since you can't pick up the stick with your paws, puss in boots, I guess I'll have to teach you. Happy Birthday.” The way he said it was a joke, like he would be put out to teach him, yet everyone knew it was an act. “I'll be teaching Parker over there what I can, might as well include you too.” Robin grinned and thumped the death snapper on the shell with the butt of the staff. “Yeah yeah. I like you too.” The bard knew there was a softy inside that shell of stone. He only looked like he could eat nails. Robin looked at the two pieces of the staff and thought. He remembered Travis telling him about how a wizard made his staff into a whole. It was something that could not be taught, could not be duplicated by anyone other than the staff's intended wielder.

He smiled and began to sing. The staff thrummed in his hands and he let the pieces go as they floated free into the air. The thrumming changed and Robin began to harmonize with the wood and metal. The staff picked up a third harmony part and a light began to build between them. Somehow that chunk of wood knew the right melody because there were no sour notes, no wrong dissonances that broke the spell. Each separate piece tilted so the unadorned ends faced each other. Robin took the lead from the staff, showing it he would be the leader of their works and the staff became one and floated to his hand. It quieted and then lay dormant. “Master Meadowlark would be slack jawed right now.” Robin set the staff beside him. Everyone there knew never touch another wizard's staff. The bard sat back with a sigh, sending up his thanks to his departed friends. “Whose is next?”

Tera brought her own next. “It's nothing fancy, but I made it myself.” He grinned, hoping it was nothing that would clash with his eyes since it seemed to be clothing. He untied the bundle and out spilled a fine velvet cloak in the darkest black. He stood and held it up for all to admire. The interior was a bright red satin and the clasp was a robin in amber the exact shade of his eyes. He slung it around and put it on. It just barely touched the ground and covered him completely. “Put the hood up.” He did and he saw Hunter and Winter jump in awed shock.

“What? Did I turn invisible? Nana, did you make me an invisibility cloak?” He was mostly making a joke. She laughed and nodded. “Not fancy? I can only imagine the work involved with this.” He threw back the hood and gave her a big hug. He lifted her off the ground, a feat since she was no petite thing, and swung her around a complete circle. “Thanks. This will be fun.” He took it off and folded it back into its box. Heather tossed a smallish box at him and it landed at his feet. When he opened it he laughed. She was grinning from ear to ear. “You don't give up do you?”

“Never, Your Grace.” Robin pulled out a gauntlet of heavy leather. It was dyed a robin's egg blue and Tera swatted at her daughter with a motherly smirk.

What is so funny about a gauntlet? Lexi had to ask.

Charrinda, it is just not a gauntlet. It is a challenge. She has challenged me,” his grin was almost evilly funny, “for you.” Lexi fell off the railing he was lounging on.

What? He squeaked. Everyone there was seeing a cat reduced to a sputtering idiot for the first time.

“I accept your challenge, but you shall not win. I will be victorious! I shall crush you like a bug.” She was clapping for his performance. “The gauntlet is also made for an eagle to land on.” Robin pulled out the rest of the padding used for flying birds of prey. It would be strapped to his shoulder so the eagle could sit there when not hunting. It was a common pastime for nobles to go hawking, but this pad was much larger. “Thanks, Heather.” She smiled and curtsied. “Don't you have an eagle form, love?” He nodded as he resettled himself on the railing. “Feathers he needs flying lessons.”

“It would be nice to teach him to fly. Just to watch him crash.” Lexi rolled those blue eyes and shook his head.

From Winter Heart he got a book on instruments of the world. Robin immediately opened it to find something. “So that is a ra'gor.” It looked like a string instrument with four strings and what looked like a bow. The illustrations showed it was tucked under the player's chin and the bow was slid across the strings. What a strange thing. From Hunter he got a new pair of boots with robin feathers as tassels. He could wear them to perform in, but he would not be caught dead wearing them anywhere else. “You have an eye for the obscure.”

Perhaps you say that now. He seemed to be hiding something from him, something about the boots. Perhaps he had put something in them. Robin reached into each but found nothing. He gave up. They allow you to walk far longer than would be normal. My order called them mission boots.

“Thanks.” They may be doing a lot of walking too. From Shelby he got the lessons which he was planning on giving him anyway and a new sheath for his old blade. Nothing fancy, but it was something a warrior would give a comrade in arms.

“Perhaps I am not too late after all,” came a voice that made them all jump. Minah stood just inside the archway that led up to the inn. He looked as good as could be expected. A new scar across his eyebrow was the only thing that showed. “A Happy Belated Birthday Robin.”

He looked at the assassin with a mixture of wonder and suspicion. “Thank you, Guildmaster Minah.”

“I have come to give you one present you need never open, but for the next twenty years it will still be there.”

“Okay. Cryptic enough to get me to bite.”

“An apprenticeship. To teach you what it truly means to be a sonomagi. That offer is not your gift. I would like you as an apprentice so I am willing to wait. That is your gift.” Robin looked at him like he was a very strange looking animal. “If in those years you wish to become my apprentice just say it aloud and you and Lexi, for I know he will be joining you, will be whisked to my place to begin your training. It could be brief or take maybe ten years. Not too long. I do hope you say yes.” He vanished from sight leaving them all bewildered.

“Did what just happen happen?” No one had an answer for him. Robin wondered what it all meant. He got the part about the sonomagi training which he would dearly love to take, but from a professional killer? It just seemed...odd. Really odd. Why him? He would think about it later. “That elf has always given me the creeps. Saved our lives and all, but still. Ah well. One last gift.” Robin was given Lexi's gift, the one Robin had been teased with the few weeks before their curse. He took the long box from Tera who was curious herself what the gift was. It had been delivered to the Lily for Lexi, but they had had to flee before it got there and she had been holding it. It never seemed quite right to remind the prince it was here until he brought up the subject of Robin's day.

He untied the ribbon with as much sloth as possible just to annoy everyone there. They growled, yelled, hissed or squawked at him to hurry up. With a laugh he opened the box and looked at the strangest weapons he had ever seen. First glance said one was a rapier and the other an odd curving blade Nathan had called a scimitar. Robin had liked the feel of the one time he had ever used the slender scimitar, but Nathan was no master in the weapon himself and would not teach him his bad habits. A second look said they were not weapons but instruments. The rapier's blade was much thicker in the blade than the others Robin had wielded and the grip was almost twice as long and thicker then was necessary. The blade had a hollow tube running up the middle with two vents on either side of it. He turned it over in his hand and there was a click as the thicker than necessary grip slid free to expose a flute beneath. His eyes lit up as his mouth sagged open. Under Master Meadowlark he had learned the basics of many instruments, but he had excelled in lute and flute. Robin saw that it would play exactly the same save being a bit shorter than a real flute. Lifting it to his mouth he played an experimental note. It came out pure in tone and less shrill then a normal flute. The smile on his face as he looked over at Lexi, tears in his eyes, was so radiant Lexi wanted to go over there and give him a big hug. So he did. Lighting off the railing he shifted midair into that gigantic lion. Heather gasped, having never seen either shift, but Robin was rather impressed. Lexi padded over to drape a big paw over his shoulder and pull him into a big hug. The bard was laughing as he hugged him back. “Big kitty. REALLY big kitty!” A resonant purr sounded from deep in his chest and he stepped back to get revenge for an earlier assault. That big raspy tongue came out and he got Robin in the face, all of his face, in one swipe. “Ack! Truce! No more licking! I get it.” Parker was giggling as he watched. Lexi sauntered back to his stall and curled up, a smug look in his eyes.

Robin began to play a song he had always liked on his new instrument. It came out soft and sweet and Robin looked at Lexi with those amber brown eyes as a wave of love crashed over all who were there. It was powerful and palpable, everyone could literally feel the emotions stroking their soul like a lover would caress your cheek. His melody had them soaring with each crescendo and floating back down when the piece became pianissimo. His song had them surrendering to this lover, the one everyone must court, and had he been singing it they would have. Robin stopped the song one measure before the actual ending just in case. “I have never heard 'Courting The Lover Of Night' on the flute,” said Tera with a sigh. “It was magical.”

“Literally. Robin, you have a more powerful gift than you realize. I am sure you would be a force to reckon with should you ever take the elf's offer. With full training, you could kill with that song.” He nodded, but he knew enough to not do it. Winter Heart was right, he could kill with it. The one lover all must court, Death. The song spoke of a man who saw Death as a lovely woman. She was the most stunning creature alive and three times she called for him and twice she was rejected. Once when he was in battle but he had a wife, once the time he had lost the will to live after his own mortal love died in childbirth but then he had a child to raise, but the last time she called for him he went to her with open arms. He was tired of fighting what he knew she wanted and she was no longer fearsome to him but an old friend whose offer of peace would never wane. The griffin smiled over at Heather who had rested her hand on his shoulder during the piece. She smiled back. “Or you can fill the room with such good feelings.”

“What's the last one do?” Parker asked.

Robin got the hint and pulled out the scimitar. It was sharper than any sword Robin had used as it was a slashing weapon, but no other sword he had seen had strings like a harp. Along the inside of the curve were a dozen strings that he would see on any harp. How, he asked himself, would they stand up to actually fighting? The stings would be snapped in the first swing. Still, if he was attacked while he was performing this would be a surprise weapon. He plucked a string to hear how good it would be without a resonance chamber. He was surprised by the volume. How was it done, it has nothing to resonate the sound. He strummed them all, hearing all twelve notes to the octave. He could not play anything truly intricate with this, but it was still a nicely crafted harp, capable of playing chords and arpeggios needed for most songs. “Who crafted these?”

Do you recall that shop that only opens after dark? Robin nodded. They had never really gotten around to going there. Looks like Lexi did, sneaky little bugger. She does wonders with magic and weapons. Those strings will not break or lose their tuning. I tried to cut them, snip them, bashing them against the door jam. Nana even tried her best with magic. Those strings are there to stay. Robin grinned and began plucking out a melody. It was simple at first as he made himself acquainted with his newest instrument. His fingers began to double pluck strings for harmonies, his eyes closed and him doing it all by feel. Simple became intricate as all five fingers on his hand danced a tune across the strings.

“If we have a chance I would like to thank her for such beautiful craftsmanship. And everyone here, thanks.” He wiped away a tear, his lower lip trembling. They had thrown this party together in hours. Never would he find such friendship than in this room. The beasts made an odd but welcome addition to his family, but all of this...he missed out on this feeling since the young age he left for bard's training. Standing he pulled everyone, including a protesting Shelby, into a hug. At times like these he did not feel cursed at all.

“Enough mush, let's eat.” Winter Heart bopped the snapper on his head with his foreclaw. That afternoon was one of the happiest of his entire life. They did the customary razing. Though they did not know much about his past, what they did know was used against him in funny anecdotes of childish behavior. Then it became a contest to see who could come up with the best plausible misdeed.

“I remember when Robin was three,” said Parker who was not even thought of then so this was already a lie, “he would come in the shop where his father worked in his swaddling. Snot ran from his nose like a fountain of green ooze.” Heather was laughing and cringing at the same time and Robin wondered if the kid had been there, because he had done that often. “His head was wet, again, cause someone thought he was on fire, again.” The kid would make an excellent story teller one day if he could do this at the age of eight. Lexi was rolling on his railing watching Robin taking all this with as much dignity as he could without smiling. “He wandered over to the leather vats and looked inside. He saw his reflection there and dove in head first...to put out the fire on his head. His father came in wondering what all the splashing was about and thought a brown dog had jumped in the dyes...again.” Tera was enjoying this. It was rare for her to relax and laugh along with good humor. More so since the target was taking it so well. “Poor, poor, Robin. His father, his own flesh and blood,” he paused with a dramatic sigh, “used his head to dye the next six boots. He just held him up and shook him.” Winter Heart thumped Robin on the back.

“That's not funny, Parker. I passed out when he did that.” He said it with all seriousness that they stopped laughing and stared. “I could not believe my own father, my own flesh and blood,” he cried and hung his head. They looked on in horror as tears began to fall.

He's lying, said Lexi, spoiling the fun Robin had. He looked up and shrugged. They clapped at the lie within the lie. He won the best lie only because he used their own ammo against them and did it better. It all lasted until literally just before the change. Somehow Tera knew when the sun was setting and said she had to go work and that it was getting late. Heather and Tera slipped away with the dishes while Robin disrobed and stood in his stall.

“You could have let the fib go on a bit longer, love.” Lexi shook his head as they changed. It was almost instantaneous now, taking less than five seconds as compared to twenty minutes. Parker was already laying out the princes clothes so he was able to dress.

“Did you really want to thank her for the work? She's...uh...another odd one.” He pulled his shirt over his head as Robin scooped him up. “Hey!” The prince realized he was being held by something with scales but human hands, a deeper chest than even he had, and was not much taller than Robin. “Uh...Robin?”

“Yes love?” he asked.

“I am still half naked.”

“Your point? Had I my way you would never be allowed to wear clothes.” Lexi was able to get his shirt finally down and looked up at him where his jaw slackened. “I know. Really freaky looking.” Lexi ran his hand along his jawline feeling the change in the scales that were obvious and the rough skin of his cheek that were scales too small to discern but could just barely be felt. He stared into those eyes that, no matter the form, were still his. Gentle touches trailed down his arms that were covered in dark blue scales with subtle lighter swirling bands. Taking Robin's clawed hand in his own he traced the deep lines in his palms feeling their smooth but rawhide tough skin and down to those undeniably sharp claws. Under his touch Robin's wings settled against his back and the jagged spurs at the joint at the top of the wings came together on his chest to turn his wings into a sort of cape. Lexi felt the same smooth yet tough skin of his chest, that deep and brawny chest that he could not put his arms all the way around, and where the scales started in the groin to flow the length of his three foot tail. Robin's waist was almost feminine compared to the rest of the body, but only in comparison. Slender, sleek, and still at the perfect height for him to rest his hands on his hips. Lexi stood on his tip toes and pressed his lips to Robin's. He stood transfixed for a moment. How could he actually kiss him in this form? He must look like a monster. Yet his arms, those long and mighty arms, were around him of their own accord and he was kissing him back. :Gods above I love you Alexander.:

Lexi pulled back in shock. “Did you just say you love me?”

“I thought it, my mouth was a little busy.” He smiled, showing longer fangs and slightly pointed teeth.

“I heard you. I mean really heard it as clear as if you spoke it.”

Robin tilted his head to the side. :Can you hear me now?: he asked. Lexi nodded. :Good.: Robin used those huge wings to enfold Lexi as Heather came down to get the last of the dishes. She froze when she saw him. “It's me, Heather.” She shook her head to clear away the shock. “Before you leave I have to ask this of a completely unbiased person. Am I hideous in this form?”

She looked at him critically. “Well, Your Grace, your face is attractive in an exotic way. The rest is either covered up or...repulsive.” He laughed and nodded.

“Thanks. I knew I would get a straight answer out of you. Others are honor bound to lie to me to make me feel good.” She smiled and left with the dishes.

“I am not honor bound, Robin, I just try to look at the best parts.” Parker passed Lexi his pants through the small gap in the wings. “I think the claws are really great.” He grinned and skipped over to help Hunter and Shelby organize the presents on the table.

“Honor bound.” Robin furled his wings and settled them again. He long armed the cloak and threw it over himself and fluffed out his full head of hair. It was a shock to see that vibrant red against that deep blue. “Could I pass for human or should I put the hood up?”

“Don't smile and don't meet anyone's eyes. They glow.” He nodded as if to say I see. “You really want to thank her.”

“Yeah. These are amazing. Plus anyone who crafts weapons like these is bound to know a few songs.” Lexi nodded like they had gotten to the core of the matter.

“I'll be joining you,” said Shelby. “Need to get my own swords.”

“Actually, Shelby,” Lexi said with a grin, “I have some swords that I won't use and would be a shame to let them lay there.” He went over to that marvelous chest and pulled out the magical swords that Nathan had left to Trav but came to him. “My brother owned these and they should not just sit there.” He held them out to him, a pair of longswords with matching grips and sheaths. Robin had never had a chance to see them. “And since someone here has had some wizard training and forgot about it, he can study them to see what he can see.” Lexi smiled and Winter who rolled his eyes. “You are still welcome to join us if you want other blades less... noticeable.” Shelby drew one of the blades and it burst into flame. Robin jumped but the snapper just nodded with the critical eye of a swordsman. “Its sister is ice.”

“Sister blades? You sure know how to make a turtle feel wanted. What do the others get? I can't get something if they don't.”

“Since Winter Heart seems to have had wizard training he is welcome to look through any of the books. I don't really know what you could use, Hunter. Priests don't normally learn from books from what Ethan told me.”

True, but reading material would be nice. I may not be able to use the magic, but I did notice some children's stories that I never got to read or hear. Robin wondered how his life would have been different had he been raised in a monastery as a priest. Not nearly as exciting, true, but he would not mind leading a life of service, to help people. And I do not wish to overstep my bounds, Robin...

“Of course you can use the holy writ. Perhaps you could help me understand some of it too. My father did not follow the beliefs of the True God, and I think it fitting to learn what I can if I plan to sing the songs of that religion.”

The drake bowed deeply. It would be an honor and a privilege to do it. Whenever you feel up to it, might I give sermons? He looked so hopeful. Robin, Lexi, and Parker all nodded. It would be good to have something that would help them all even if they did not necessarily follow the doctrine. The outpouring of joy from his eyes was more than they could account for, but then what is a priest without his calling? Bless you. I am truly blessed to have such understanding and giving friends. You should get on your business though, and take your staff, Robin. Never safe to leave it laying about. The bard nodded and held out his hand. It rose from the floor and flipped end over end to land perfectly in his grip.

“I never saw Travis do that.” Lexi wondered just what Travis had kept from him.

“Sorry, Charrinda, but there are things that each mage can do. I'm sure there is something you could do with your staff that I would find amazing.”

Shelby, being close to Parker's height, borrowed one of his cloaks. He could pass as a very broad child at first glance, or a little old man if they saw the texture of his skin with its wrinkles and bumps. Winter pulled out a random book for himself and curled up under the lamp light to read while Hunter opened the writ and sat to do his own reading. “Hey, imp, I think Heather would like some help in the kitchens, if you want to earn another kiss.” The smile on his face would have taken in his ears had they not been large enough to carry him away when a stiff breeze picked up. He dashed up the stairs. “That will keep him busy.”

“Nice reason too, Shell. How do you know that he should not come with us?”

“To a shop that is only open after dark? Lexi, not a good place for anyone without a set of fortitude. He's a good kid and I will make sure he can go toe to toe with anyone in a fair fight and even some dirty ones, but this shop?” He shook his head. “Sounds like a vampire, a Lycan, or something as nasty.”

Lexi had to nod. It was sound reasoning and not too far off. Grabbing a cloak the prince led them through the tunnels which was going in the opposite direction for them to get to the shop. Yet this was Lexi's territory so they let him lead. They came up in a familiar part of town in the dock district. Only Robin did not put his hood up, that would have turned him invisible, and they wore their weapons openly. Anyone who got even a glance at the trio sensed something was not normal and those who were sober or smart enough left them alone.

Which was to say they had a small problem. As they turned the corner they found their way blocked by four men wearing shabby clothes and two of them held crossbows that were leveled and loaded. “Looky 'ere, boys. Some folks who'll be 'appy to donate them fine clothes and weapons to our cause.” The speaker was as tall as Robin and about as brawny as Lexi. He would be the local tavern champ, the one people paid for protection from the toughs and scoundrels that plagued every dock. His cronies were smaller, skinnier, but just as nasty smelling to all three of them.

“I do not think this is wise, gentlemen.” Lexi looked at the one in the back, the quiet one with a sharp eyed stare and wearing his shortsword like he knew how to use it. “Such an attack could be found out by the Yellow Rose and he would not be happy to hear of it.” The front three were obviously clueless as to who this was, but the back man was not. His eyes went wide and he took a step back.

“We never heard a no Yeller Rose. Hand o'er your gold.” The brawny man cracked his knuckles and neck in an attempt to intimidate them.

:Should I throw my cloak back, love?: Robin asked of him mentally. There was a negative feeling so he waited. Perhaps it would not be a good idea to tip their hand yet although the sight of him would probably scare the life out of them and end this peacefully.

“Uh, Gunther, ye may not wanna to take on The Rose's men. He got connections really high up.” The back guy was trying to get the hell out of this without seeming to be a coward.

“Shut yer yap, Mouse, these guys're gonna co-operate.” Robin shook his head as he smelled three others trying to sneak up behind them. Lexi knew they were there too and by the way Shelby turned his right foot so he could pivot he knew they were there too. This really was not fair. If they attacked they would be leaving with a minimum of a few bruises if they left at all.

“One last time to back off, Gunther.” Lexi placed his hand outside of his cloak and Robin felt something, a gathering presence that he was familiar with. Lexi was preparing to cast a spell. Magic usually scared people off with a minimal effort. Poor Gunther just gestured and the thugs converged on them. Robin exploded into action and went for Gunther to match him on his terms. Shelby spun and pulled out the sister blades that lit the night in blue and red light. The archers fired at Lexi but the bolts encountered a wall of fire and were turned into ash.

Robin caught the man's hands in his grip when he went to grapple him. The look of triumph in his eyes instantly turned to fear as he felt Robin dig his claws into the meat of his hands and grinned to show off his teeth. “You should have listened to the Mouse, Gunther. The Rose don't like to be crossed.” He had lowered his voice farther than it already was and added a growl to it that raised the hairs on the tough's neck. Robin pressed forward to forced the man to his knees and gave him a good view of his scaled legs and that swishing tail. Sweat broke out on his brow as he tried to keep Robin from driving fully onto his back.

Shelby quite easily outfought the three men who were underfed and desperate. He never once let his blades touch them, he only parried their adequately wielded daggers or would punch them with his knobby knuckles. It was too easy to whoop them and it was beneath his honor to kill such men. “You should just leave with your lives. I will step back and you can escape.” He did it and two men took him up on his offer and fled. The last was being stubborn. “Last chance, bucko.” He slashed for his chest and all it did was break his dagger on the rock hard shell. He shook his head and glared at him, the force of his gaze paralyzing the man. His muscles convulsed as he fell to the cobbled street and the death snapper quit glaring. To keep it up for more than an instant was to kill. “Hey, come get him.” He took three more steps back and sheathed his blades. The fallen man's comrades looked at him. “I could'a killed you, but I don't like killing without need.” One braved the turtle and dragged the stubborn man off into the gathering fog of the evening.

Lexi was wondering if they would be stupid enough to fire again when they did. Could they not see the big wall of fire that was twenty feet tall and stretched from warehouse to warehouse? It was a big wall of flaming fire that would attract every guard within the district and probably all over the city from the light that only meant fire among the warehouses. Their bolts burned up once more and they finally got the hint and dropped their weapons and ran. “My friend quit playing with your food,” he said to Robin who chuckled deep in his chest when they smelled the acrid stench of urine.

“But I do so love to play with my food. The taste much better when they are afraid of me.” Robin lifted him to his feet and broke the grapple only to grip him by the throat and lifted him off the ground. “Can I at least strangle him?”

“No. We have pressing business.”

“Can I bite off his fingers at least?” Gunther was trembling with more than standard fear. Robin was putting a bit of dragon fear into him and that kept the brawler from attacking him.

“Put him down.” With a growl Robin dropped him and refolded the cloak around him and walked back to Lexi's side but lifted his glowing eyed gaze to stare at Gunther. “Get out of here and remember that the Yellow Rose is a forgiving person but will not tolerate his plans being interrupted.” Gunther scrabbled away and slid into a side alley. They could hear his pounding feet echo off the walls and fade away. “Come here Mouse.” Lexi waved and the wall winked out. The man came over wringing his hands and trying not to look at Robin. Lexi took the man by the back of the neck and dragged him into another alley. Once out of the street Lexi let go and helped right the man's clothes.

“Lexi?” he asked, unsure.

“Good on the uptake, Mouse.” He pushed back his hood and smiled at the relief he saw in the man's eyes. “Mouse is one of my eyes and ears on the wharfs. Mouse, the shorter one is Shelby, one of my friends. The tall one is Robin.”

“Your...uh...partner?” He looked up at him with a discerning glance. “I hear it was a full dragon curse, not a Salamandrian.” Robin raised a scaly brow. “That is what you are.”

“Robin can change his shape and finds this one better than a full dragon. Have you anything to report while I am here?”

“Actually, yes. Happened not three hours ago. Hunters brought in the first dragon corpse in a hundred years.” Robin's eyes narrowed dangerously. “They didn't kill it, only had bird darts and daggers between them. This was an old one too, maybe three hundred if not four.”

“How do you know so much 'bout dragons?” asked Shelby. Lexi wondered how the man would answer this. It was one of the best kept secrets of Lexi's spy network. Something in the man surfaced and he stared at the snapper who fell back a step and almost drew his sword.

“I know more than you can imagine and as for how that is none of your business.” That force left when Shelby nodded. “It had been killed by something with claws six inches long and barbed, tipped with poisons designed to kill dragons and then its heart was removed.” He emphasized the last like it would be the most important. To him, with whatever knowledge he possessed, it was the most disturbing.

“Color?”

“A white.” Lexi whistled low and shook his head. “What would, or could, kill a white?”

“I'll tell you about them later, Robin, what I know of them.” He nodded and stifled the questions forming in his head.

“A female too. Pregnant.” All of them shook their heads. Dragons may be a very big nuisance at the best, but there were so few that this loss was nothing to celebrate. “There is also a rumor that in Corander Mines that another female smoke was found dead in the deepest shafts which have always been the breeding grounds left alone. Her heart was removed too if rumors can be believed.” He closed his eyes and swallowed before saying. “She was the last of the smokes.” Lexi sent out a prayer to Treena and even Tia'mat to watch over the souls of these dragons. This did not bode well for dragons. If something was going on a genocidal rampage, and succeeding, it would throw the balance out of whack. Something would happen that could not be repaired, something that may not be felt for generations but could literally destroy the delicate balance of nature and send the entire food chain into a downward spiral.

“Find out for sure. By whatever means necessary. I am no longer stationed at the castle. Get word out that all missives are to be sent to Arensford.”

“Trouble with the succession?”

“No, just the successor. I am still in charge of the network and will not tell whoever that ass of a brother of mine appoints to take my place who the contacts are.” Mouse nodded his understanding. He was purposely blinding the monarchy to internal matters until they could form their own eyes and ears. It would take months if not years to get men into the places the established network was. “Anything else?” He shook his head. “You have your task, one I know you will succeed in.” Mouse bowed and left in a run.

“Obviously he's to be trusted. This dragon thing...I feel it's not isolated, love. There is only one species in all the tales I know that possess the poisons to kill dragons.” All three shared glances and said, “Demons,” simultaneously. “Why kill off the dragons before that event when that demon comes here?” Robin was no good at puzzles like this. If it came to puzzling out a melody from scraps that he had heard then he was the man for the job. Need help with a spell or potion? He had enough knowledge to assist. That was his limitation, his education was about music, gossip and the laws and nobility of the lands. He was no tactician.

“Less opposition. Dragons are one of the few creatures that could tangle with a demon. That or a unicorn.” Robin nodded. The three aspects of magic were a balance. Lexi's widened. “Oh Hells below! Come on! We need to get to the falls Robin. Now!” Robin nodded and took off the cloak and gave it to Lexi before he shifted. They did not have the saddle, but Robin thought the smoke dragon would be best for him to carry them. The shift was painful but not as bad as it was last time. Without even looking around or asking he grabbed both and flapped into the air, sending up swirls of dust and fog dancing on the down drafts. Shelby screamed and clamped onto Robin's claw with those powerful jaws since his own claws were already dug into the tough flesh of the dragon's palm. Robin did not even notice it. Those sweeping wings carried them faster than the last time they made this trip and the dragon spiraled down to the lake at the base of the falls. “Treena! If you can hear me, I need to talk to you.” He slid down the body and landed in a run for the forest line.

“I always hear you, human. Here I will appear if I can.” She did not wear the aspect of a fairy this time. No she was a tall and elegant woman wearing leaves and vines as a gown.

“The unicorns are in trouble.” He told her of his theory that the demonic forces were taking out the dragons and would start on the unicorns next. Shelby stomped his foot. He should have seen that.

“Human, I am aware of the danger.” She seemed saddened, her eyes were pools of green sorrow. “I have secreted the remaining ones in a place no demon could get into. Yes, the balance in nature will tilt but not so much in so short a time as ten years. Your plan to save the dragons may save a few, but not all. You are aware of that?” He nodded, his eyes downcast. “We thank you for coming so quickly. Even we did not know that a white was killed.” She smiled sweetly and touched his cheek. Treena was in all aspects a nurturer and Lexi her chosen champion. “Be at ease in your mind, human, and know that we will do what we can to preserve the balance.” She turned and took a step deeper into the woods. When she did she took on the form of a deer and bounded away. Lexi had many more questions to ask, but he could not call a god for just answers to questions he could find out for himself.

All that haste to tell her what they already surmised or would have known in their own time, yet Robin could not be angry with Lexi in the slightest. He worried about larger things than Robin whose life was more in tune with the rhythm of the city than the slow beat of the forest. Yet he even worried about the cities too. Lexi would have made a very good king. A loved one, yes, and maybe a bit too relaxed, but he would have been a good king for any land. Robin just wished that all of this was over and they could go back to being normal...as normal as they could be. The trio returned to the city. Funny thing is they never went to the shop to thank the smith.

Three days were spent there before it was decided that they would head after the first wizard. Robin was up to much longer flights now and he would not have to worry about carrying two with Winter Heart carrying the kid and Hunter seeming pleased to carry Shelby. They could not put it off any longer. They traveled very light thanks to that wondrous chest. Everything they owned, and the very universe, seemed to fit inside. A good thing too because it would take them a month of travel on foot, maybe a week by flight, through dense forests into the land of Morath. Relations between Morath and any other place were never good and their borders were always patrolled heavily. Its capital city was its only real city as Morath was mostly bogs, fens, and swamps. Horror stories came out of that rotting, fetid land. Trolls by the thousands, squidlarkens, Tangle trees larger than houses...not to mention breeding grounds for black dragons. It was not a hospitable place, but then they were not going there for the hospitality and they were not ill-equipped.

They left the same way they came, with little fanfare and less notice. Out through the tunnels and lake at night, Robin carried everyone except Winter Heart who flew. A few startled fish swam deeper as the dragon sped through the water in an attempt to get as far away from the city as his passengers lungs would let him. He got nearly half way before Parker tapped on his hide that he needed air and in one flap they were out of the water and airborne. Two boats were close enough to see the silhouettes against the moons as they winged for the falls, their meeting and prep place. To watch them would be a feat for out of nowhere a griffin seemed to appear and a child sized human leaped from the back of the dragon and onto the leonine back of the griffin. Then a smaller dragon broke away carrying a turtle in its claws. Everyone would hear about their flight within an hour if the sailors could get the superstitions and the fear they caused out of their systems long enough to get back to the city.

At the falls Parker was grinning his fool had off. “It was so amazing! Leaping off the back of a dragon only to be saved by my friend and steed!” He spread his arms and went flying around the buttes. Gods above to be that young again. While he was a bundle of energy the rest were outfitted for the flight. Winter and Hunter donned specially made saddles but no bridles, they did not need them to know where to go and would be insulting to even suggest them. Shelby stuck out a limb and caught the boy in a rough hug.

“This is not the place for your shenanigans, Imp. You'll go flying over the side for real if you're not careful.” The lad nodded and was let go only to spin in circles like he was spiraling out of control and fell over laughing too dizzy to stand up. All of them looked on fondly and waited long enough for the world to resume its normal spinning speed before getting him dressed in his flight leathers.

IF THE EXCITABLE IMP IS READY WE HAVE MANY MILES TO COVER. Robin dipped a wing for Lexi and Shelby tossed Parker onto Winter's back before climbing onto Hunter's back and strapped himself in. It felt strangely soothing to be astride something, like in his former life he had been a cavalry man. Robin flapped twice and was up as the others took their time, a dragon needed a lot of time to climb to a good altitude before flying for any distance. They were away in minutes, Parker's levity now gone. The boy seemed to know when it was okay to express his childhood and when it would be inadvisable and on the back of a flying griffin at night when they were trying to simply cover as much ground as possible was not one of times.

* * *

Frederick was patiently waiting for the rest of the councilmen to arrive for his coronation. They had thought it prudent in these troubled times to waive the month long waiting period for there was only one crown prince now and he was off as he always was. They needed to secure the throne and Frederick was not going to complain. He sat there looking like he was listening to this imbecile prattle on about some new laws that will take effects before his coronation, but he was actually contemplating removing the man's vocal cords. “New levies must be built around the river...”

Shut up, shut up shut up! He cried out in his head even as he nodded sagely. Images of blood welling out of the man's eyes filled his head and a smile slid onto his face. The man stopped mid sentence.

“Is something amusing you, Your Grace?”

“Yes. I find it funny that they insisted on holding the coronation three weeks early and then everyone seems to be late.” The noble tittered a laugh and Frederick wanted to slit his throat with a bit of twine, which would take a lot of time. The idea put him a much better frame of mind while he waited.

Finally, one by one the councilmen filed in to take their seats and the meeting was called to order. The Prime Chancellor stood and called them to order. The old news was rehashed to remind everyone what happened at the turning of the Summer when they met last. “Honored colleagues, there are a number of changes being made for this session. New laws put into effect. Also the coronation of Crown Prince Frederick.” That caused a bit of a mutter as council sessions were open to the public. “It is viewed that a King must sit upon the throne in these troubled times. None of us could have foreseen the need. We had several princes to make heirs, but we are down now to only the crown prince and Prince Alexander whose mission to remove the curse from the Bard Robin and free us of a rogue wizard is fraught with peril. It is uncertain he will succeed or even live through this.” The people knew what was going on with Lexi better than these men did and knew the hazards that he faced even with the aide of a dragon, a griffin, a drake and death snapper.

“The first and foremost is a sealed law to be ratified at this session. Penned by the late king it concerns only the nuptials of the royal children. Ratify for or vote against?” It was something so small that the full council voted it in. Some small changes to the taxes and tariffs were made, but nothing big and all passed without a murmur of dissent even from the people as most of it went to strengthening the armsmen that protected them all.

The coronation was short and simple, far from the usual pomp and ceremony that would come with the crowning of a new king. It was supposed to be short at this time because they were in a state of war. The head of the various churches were there as a token representation of the gods and they would place the crown on his head and speak the words that had been said for the past four hundred years. Frederick sat tall as he settled into the throne. He had little choice as the seat was hard and sloped forward. “A reminder that the king cannot be lazy lest he fall on his ass.” Those were the words of the king...no, the dead man who had stood too long in Frederick's way to the throne.

Once the meeting was over he stood and gave a small speech about being vigilant in this time of adversity and standing strong against anything that threatened their fine kingdom. Those who were there were totally blinded to the fact that Frederick was laughing at them on the inside while they applauded his words.

Copyright © 2014 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..