Jump to content
  • Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

    Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow. 

     

    FrankD
  • Author
  • 1,196 Words
  • 329 Views
  • 6 Comments

Fourth Down: Second Quarter - 9. Chapter 9

“Good morning Little One.” I smiled at the small fluffy bundle which clearly must have snuggled into my stomach as I slept on my side. I just stared lovingly at this tiny creature who was purring her little heart away as my fingers were buried in the short black fur of her flank.

“Where did she come from?” Asked a very groggy Vicky, her voice thick with sleep. One hand stretched high in the air, the other covering a yawn as she woke up to the world around her.

“She lives here apparently,” I told her, then promptly informed her on how Felicia had visited us during the night.

“And how are you this morning?” She asked as she got out of bed and approached my own.

“Ok, I guess,” I shrugged. I still felt a little numb after the news from yesterday. “Did the Doctor say anything else? I kinda zoned out after the big reveal.” I asked embarrassedly.

Vicky placed a hand on my shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze as she spoke. “He said quite a bit, and that he would be in sometime this morning to discuss what he mentioned yesterday. Until then how about we focus on our little visitor here.” She added after scratching Felicia behind the ear.

A few hours after breakfast had been served there was a knock at the door, followed by Dr. Araka’s head poking in.

“Good morning Ladies.” He smiled at us in greeting as he entered the room. “How are you feeling this morning? he asked, concern for me clear in his voice.

“As good as I can be after that news yesterday. Sorry for zoning out on you.”

“That’s quite alright, you aren’t the first patient to have a reaction like that, and I am quite sure you won’t be the last.” He gently smiled.

So cancer,” I say to him, “Just how bad is it, and what are my options?” I ask, steeling myself for what his response might be.

“Pretty bad I’m afraid. The cancer is stage four, which is incurable. And where the tumor is currently sitting, trying to remove it would be more adverse than beneficial.”

Incurable, and inoperable. Well that is just fucking great.

“As for options, we can try chemo, which in theory should slow the cancer down as well as possibly shrinking it, but that has some severe side effects.”

“So how long?”

“With it’s rate of growth as it is, probaby three months at best. With Chemo, we might be looking at a few years.” He informs me.

While he was telling me all this, Vicky was giving me strength to stay in the conversation just by gently squeezing my shoulder.

Dr Araka then informed me on the chemo treatment, and what I should expect if I go down that path, which seemed just just as scary. He also mentioned that if I did go for treatment, that he would be getting intouch with our local hospital and getting things organised so I could have my treatments there instead of having to make the journey into the city. I would also be close to my family, and those who cared for me.

I would also need to make arrangements in case it got too hard for me to look after myself, seeing as how I lived alone with my kids.

“Don’t worry, I can see Hunter and Dale fighting with me on who gets to look after you if it has to come to that.” Vicky whispered as if reading my mind.

It was then decided that I would have my first treatment at the local hospital in the next few days, after he had gotten everything sorted out and that he would be seeing me in about three months after having another scan, just to see how I was progressing.

“So one more night in this lovely place.” Vicky said, once Dr. Araka had left.

“Looks that way,” I responded as I reclined back in bed.

Just as I proceeded to get comfortable, little miss Felicia jumped back on the bed, and settled herself down for a nap in my arms.

“I think someone likes you.” Vicky smirked.

“And the feeling is mutual,” I replied, with a smile as I gently scratched at the exposed side of the cat which resulted in her purring.

The next morning as we were packing away our things, Felicia had popped out of the room. Only to return with a little toy mouse in her maw. She trotted over to my open suitcase and much to our amusement, proceeded to drop the little cat toy in the corner of the case, then immediately ran out only to return with another toy.

“I don’t think you can do that.” I told the cat, picking her up to stop her from going out and grabbing another toy. Only for her to lick my nose and snuggle into me.

“Looks like Felicia has chosen you.” My nurse smiled as she came into my room with my discharge papers in her hand.

“Sorry,” I try, “She just decided to pack a few of her own things it seems.”

“She has become pretty attached to you.” the Nurse said as she gently stroked the cat’s cheek with her free hand. “She will be missed.”

“Missed?” I asked, confused, why would they miss Felicia when she lived here.

“Oh, I am sorry, I thought you were adopting her.”

“The cats are up for adoption?” Vicky asked her.

“Yup, though we mainly let the animals choose who they would like to go home with.”

“So I can take her home with me?” I ask, surprised, “I do have another cat at home, hopefully having another one won’t cause too much of an issue.”

“Well Fee here is quite welcoming to the new cats, and you are the first person she has really shown any interest in. If you like, I can grab the forms.”

“How much would adopting her cost?” I ask, the thought of adopting this sweet thing was becoming more of a reality as the conversation grew.

“Oh, adopting our cats is free, unless you want to donate something to our animal fund, which helps us care for them.

“I think I’d like to do that,” I say looking down into the smiling face of the cat in my arms.

Soon after we were packed, documents were signed and Felicia was safely tucked away in a cat carrier that was supplied by the hospital, we were walking out towards the car.

“How are you feeling?” Vicky asked, once we were strapped safely in her car.

“A little worried, I’m just trying to not focus on the bad things right now.”

“Whatever happens, we will be there for you, every step of the way.” She encouraged, grasping my hand and giving it a squeeze.

With that said, we were on our way home. Even though I did not want to think of it. I was dying. How long I had left, only God knew. I knew I would have to make arrangements soon, not only for me, but that of my kids.

Thanks for reading Chapter 9

Sorry it was SO late in coming, I have just been a bit distracted. This chapter was a bit hard to write, and only got harder the longer I left it.

FDudney
  • Like 11
  • Love 8
  • Sad 12

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is difficult to read about but it is reality I almost put a tear icon as a chapter reaction.The day Belle passes(hopefully not soon) Having Felica around would be like having a piece of Belle still around.I hope Belle fights for a long long time but I get the feeling arrangement will be made for Hunter and Dale or maybe Vicky to get her kids

  • Sad 4
Link to comment

Difficult to write, difficult to read, but ultimately most difficult to experience it.

@FrankD, you’re bringing us through the more difficult but more realistic and likely journey that many will face; too often it’s the tragic traffic accident with the police at the door approaching midnight.

The tragic accident gives us the immediate shock and loss but this journey deals with choices that don’t allow for delays or indecision without a significant penalty for no reply; brutal but likewise it hasn’t opportunities for plans, new memories, and a chance for last words and farewells.

I’m glad you’ve returned @FrankDand that you’re forging ahead with a real life journey that’s sure to pull a few tears in heartache and yet a few more in relief for continuity of a secure and loving support family.

Edited by Philippe
  • Sad 4
Link to comment

Glad to see you back, but very sad to read this chapter.  The entire time I was reading with tears, remembering my Mom when we got her diagnosis after she developed uterine cancer 10 years after successfully fighting breast cancer.  In her case, the treatment was what got her.  She had been treated with Tamoxifen at a time when they didn’t truly understand its ramifications and it led to complications years after she should have been clear.  By the time we finally figured things out, she was also inoperable.  We lost her within 6 months.

This is going to be a hard story to read.

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
On 11/25/2021 at 1:22 PM, weinerdog said:

This is difficult to read about but it is reality I almost put a tear icon as a chapter reaction.The day Belle passes(hopefully not soon) Having Felica around would be like having a piece of Belle still around.I hope Belle fights for a long long time but I get the feeling arrangement will be made for Hunter and Dale or maybe Vicky to get her kids

Thank you ❤️

Edited by FrankD
Link to comment
On 11/25/2021 at 4:26 PM, Philippe said:

Difficult to write, difficult to read, but ultimately most difficult to experience it.

@FrankD, you’re bringing us through the more difficult but more realistic and likely journey that many will face; too often it’s the tragic traffic accident with the police at the door approaching midnight.

The tragic accident gives us the immediate shock and loss but this journey deals with choices that don’t allow for delays or indecision without a significant penalty for no reply; brutal but likewise it hasn’t opportunities for plans, new memories, and a chance for last words and farewells.

I’m glad you’ve returned @FrankDand that you’re forging ahead with a real life journey that’s sure to pull a few tears in heartache and yet a few more in relief for continuity of a secure and loving support family.

Thank you ❤️

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/25/2021 at 8:40 PM, Clancy59 said:

Glad to see you back, but very sad to read this chapter.  The entire time I was reading with tears, remembering my Mom when we got her diagnosis after she developed uterine cancer 10 years after successfully fighting breast cancer.  In her case, the treatment was what got her.  She had been treated with Tamoxifen at a time when they didn’t truly understand its ramifications and it led to complications years after she should have been clear.  By the time we finally figured things out, she was also inoperable.  We lost her within 6 months.

This is going to be a hard story to read.

I am SO sorry for your loss, and bringing up sad memories. Sending you ALL the hugs ❤️

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..