Jump to content
    FrankD
  • Author
  • 3,635 Words
  • 4,093 Views
  • 25 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fourth Down: Second Quarter - 1. Chapter 1

“Well here we are,” I said, looking over the steering wheel of Dale’s car.

I still could not believe my life. Next to me was my husband, the man I owed everything to, for not only saving me but also being there for me in what was the darkest period of my life. Behind us were our beautiful twins that our dear friend Vicky gave us. They were both asleep in their booster seats exhausted after the long drive from our old home; our old life as students.

Now we are starting the next chapter in our lives. I was to start my new position at the local high school, and Dale was starting up a new law firm in this small, quiet town we fell in love with: Cedrich Falls. We talked it up so much that our friends ended up following suit and moved here as well, about a month prior, with Evan saying that we were never going to be rid of them. And that was perfectly fine by me.

“It’s really beautiful,” Dale said quietly, looking over our new home.

“Yea.” I smiled back, grasping his hand to gently squeeze it, showing my excitement for what our future holds.

We were in front of a light brown wooden garage door. To the right was the enclosed porch with its red tiled roof. A bay window was attached on the other side of the porch which jutted out from the house with one of the second floor rooms sharing the same wall. Of all the windows we saw, they all shared the same light wood as the one used for the front and garage doors.

“Ok little ones, we’re here! Our new home!” I beamed, reaching around to gently rouse them from their sleep.

Mia was the first to open her eyes. She tried to get a better view of the house by grabbing my head rest, so she could stand and look.

“Is this ours?” Her little voice was full of awe.

“It is!” Dale smiled.

“It’s big,” she murmured. “Will I get my own woom?”

“Yup! No more sharing! You, my little Princess, and my dear little Prince, will each get a room to yourselves.”

Mia looked ecstatic at this piece of news. Ethan, on the other hand, looked a little miserable.

“What’s wrong, li’l man?” I asked, gently shaking his foot to grab his attention.

“I don’t wanna be alone...” His voice trailed off.

“It will be ok,” I whispered, gently squeezing his foot. “How about you get the room closest to us? That way, your Daddies won’t be too far away if you need us.”

“Pwomise?” he asked.

“Absolutely,” gently smiled Dale. He twisted around so he could get a better view of our son.

With that, we all got out of the car, stretched, and helped the little ones out. Then I opened the front door so we could explore our new home. It was bare, but boy was it beautiful.

“Make sure to remind me to thank your parents!” I told Dale, as we stepped over the threshold. As a wedding gift, they bought us our first home. Fit for our family! It had white walls, and light beige flooring which seemed to open up the space quite a bit. The hallway in front of us had paneled in wood flooring that led straight to the kitchen at the end. To the right was an arched doorway which led into the family room, which seemed large enough for two seating areas, and a pair of French doors which led outside. Immediately in front of us were a set of stairs leading up to the second floor, with a wrap-around balcony overlooking the passage way. Up there were four rooms, the largest being both Dale’s and mine. One room each for the twins, then the last room would be a combination study for Dale and me, as well as being a guest room.

To the left of the kitchen was what was to be the dining room. It, too, had a large arched entry, which overlooked another part of the sprawling gardens outside. Beyond the dining room was an entryway to the attached garage, and one that led into the basement. The kitchen itself was nice and spacious, with white tiles on the floor and walls, both with hints of blue. The kitchen sink was at the far wall with a big enough island that held the stove tops. There was enough room on one side to make a breakfast bar.

No sooner had I opened the door, I had a little Miss Mia squeezing past me and running up the stairs.

“Hey! No running up the stairs, young lady!” Dale called after her causing her to immediately slow down. We just passed knowing smiles at her excitement.

“We’re gonna have to get child gates for that,” he said, as we began to explore our new surroundings.

“Yea, we don’t want her accidentally falling down the stairs,” I added, looking up to the second floor where our daughter had disappeared. “Come, li’l man, let's go find you a room.”

“And to make sure your sister doesn’t hurt herself!”

As I walked up the stairs, Ethan, who I had picked up earlier, clung to me tightly. To the right of the landing were two rooms. Neither would be suitable for the boy in my arms. In front of us was a bathroom which guests and our kids would be using, and another room overlooking the back of the house.

“Looks like this is going to be your room Li’l Man,” I say, as I set him down.

“Where’s your room?” He asked timidly.

“Just next door,” Dale said with a fond smile, pointing to the wall to the left of the door. “What do you think?”

“You can see the swimming pool!” Mia squealed from the window, causing Ethan to trot over so he could also look outside.

Dale took one look outside, and I could tell he was pissed. Making my way over, I could see why.

“They said they’d have a poolnet installed when we moved in,” he whispered angrily to me.

“I’ll give them a call in a second, and find out what held them up,” I say as I take him in my arms to comfort him.

“What time was the moving truck due?” He asked, looking up at me.

“They should be here in five,” I say, glancing at my watch.

Just then the doorbell announced that someone was here.

“I’ll get it!” Mia squealed, as she ran out of the door.

“No you won’t Missy! You wait for either your Father or me to answer the door,” Dale said, following her in her wake.

“Come on, let's see who that is, shall we?” I say to Ethan, as I pick him up and place him on my hip.

Just as we get to the stairs, we hear Mia’s excited voice. “Mommy!”

Ethan looks at me excitedly. “Looks like Mommy is here! Shall we go say hi?” He nodded his head vigorously.

We get down stairs, and Ethan is already trying to slip from my grasp so he can run over to his mother, who already had the excitable Mia in her arms.

“There’s my li’l boy! Mommy missed you,” Vicky cooed, as she held another arm open so her son could crash into her. Once she had both kids in her arms she placed a loving kiss on both their heads. “Howdy, neighbors!” She grinned. “How was the trip?”

“Long,” Dale said. He took his friend into his arms. “How are you? We missed you!”

“I’m good,” she smiled. “Just got everything moved in my place next door,” she said, indicating her lovely house to the left of us. “And work is going well.”

“Have you heard from Madox and Evan?” I ask, giving her a kiss on the cheek in greeting.

“Yea, they are doing well. Said we should expect them when they finish their shift at the hospital.”

As she finished, we saw a large moving truck pull up. “Looks like our stuff is here!” I smiled at Dale, giving him a kiss before I met with the delivery men.

“Mr Peterson?” Said the gruff voice of what appeared to be the man in charge.

“Hunter Peterson,” I confirmed, grabbing his meaty paw. “My husband is inside. He should be able to show you where things go. Am I able to help with anything?”

At the mention of my husband, the mover looked a bit shocked. He shook his head, then responded. “We should be fine, sir, but if you wanted, you could take the smaller stuff? Me and the other guy will handle the big stuff.”

“No problem,” I smiled.

“Hey, Hon!” Yelled the mover, causing the other large man to look at his partner questioningly. “Mr Peterson is gonna help with the small stuff. His husband will tell us where to put things.”

“Sure thing, Babe.” The man smiled broadly.

“I tell ya, it’s always good to see other folk like us, especially at jobs. Lets us relax a bit. And not have to worry about letting something slip, you know?”

“Oh I know. So… how long?”

“Eddie and me? Should be going on twenty years.” His voice showed how proud he was of his relationship. “Been working together for fifteen of those years, and married for five.”

“Wow that’s impressive,” I said with awe, “Dale and I have been together for eight years, married for about three years now.” I added.

“Well then,” He said, “let's get you and your family settled in shall we.” He broadly smiled, as he patted my arm, then proceeded to take the larger items from his van with the aid of his husband.

Stepping into the van, I could see that most of the smaller boxes were slotted in amongst some of the much larger pieces of furniture. Looking at it, it was clear that they were gonna have to move boxes around so that they could grab the larger items. I decided it would probably save time to move the smaller boxes onto the lawn, then proceed to take them from there.

“Well, hi there Neighbor.” A gentle voice sounded from behind, startling me for a second.

Looking behind me, I found a pretty blonde petite woman, with looks to kill. I would bet that she had every straight guy after her. She had a genuine smile that reached her pale blue eyes, and her wavy blonde hair settled lightly upon her shoulders. She wore a spaghetti strap top with thick horizontal blue stripes combined with a pair of pale pink short shorts.

“Hi, I’m Hunter, Hunter Peterson.” I smiled, taking her delicate hand in mine.

“Annabelle Jacobs, though you can call me Belle.” She said as her eyes looked me up and down.

"Hi Belle, it’s really nice to meet you.”, I smile as I grab a box to place on my new lawn. “You lived here long?” I asked as I placed the box down, then turned to look at her.

Was she just checking out my butt?

“Huh? Oh all my life.” She smiles. “My parents left me the house after they passed away a few years back..” She says pointing to a rather nice house across the street.

“Oh I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Thanks,” she smiles sadly, “I still miss them, and it was hard in the beginning. But my family and I are in a good place. Now is there anything I can help with?”

“No I should be good, just grabbing the boxes, so the movers have access to the furniture.”

“Well I can help with that.” Belle says, as she jumps into the van before I can say anything in response, and proceeds to grab one of the boxes.

“Need help?” Another voice sounded. It was Vicky, she had Ethan on one hip with his thumb in his mouth, and holding the hand of a very excited Mia, who was eyeing the boxes. Probably wondering which one had all her toys.

“I am good thanks.” I smiled and placed a kiss on each of my childs’ heads. “Vicky this is Belle, our Neighbour from across the road.

“Hi.” Belle said as she stood up to greet the person, “Oh how adorable.” She squealed as she took in the twins.”

“Ethan, Mia. This is Aunty Belle.”

“Hi Aunty Belle!.” Mia sang

“Is she that pwincess fwom that movie.” Ethan asked his Mother quietly. While trying to hide from the new stranger.

“Aw I wish Honey, now she was beautiful.” Belle said, with a little wink towards Ethan. “You two have such beautiful children.” She added.

“Thanks.” Both Vicky and I said at the same time.

“Each is a little like their father. Red haired and full of life, the other, brunette and mild mannered. Aren’t you sweety.” Vicky said, as she placed a kiss on Ethan’s chubby little cheek, causing him to giggle.

Belle looked a little confused at this statement.

“Nice house, Mr Peterson.” The mover I had spoken to earlier said, as he and his husband came toward us for the next piece to be collected.

“Thanks.” I say proudly, “Dale, pointing you in the right direction?”

“Your husband has not led us astray yet.” He chuckled.

“Husband?” Belle said, confusion lacing her voice. “I thought you…” She said confused, pointing between both Vicky and myself.

“No.” I chuckled. “Vicky is one of our closest and dear friends since college, she is also the mother of our twins.” I smile broadly. “Dale is the love of my life, and my husband.” I added.

“All the good looking ones are either taken or gay. As that old saying goes.” Belle laughed good naturedly, as she grabbed another box to place on the lawn.

The day was wearing on as Belle helped me with the boxes, while Vicky made sure the twins didn’t get up to too much mischief. We just grabbed the last box when we heard feet running on the asphalt from across the street.

“Moooom!” a young teen yelled as he was running towards us.

“Yes Ian.” Belle said to the kid who must have been about thirteen or fourteen years old.

“Can Clyde come and spend the night?” He asked, while looking around at the movers and twins, playing on the front lawn.

“Sure he can. Under two conditions.” She smiled at her son. “The first; is to say hi to our new neighbors. This is Mr Peterson. And this is Ms…”

“Anderson.” Vicky said, realising we had not given her last name. But you can call me Aunt Vicky.” She said smiling to the young teen.

“And you can call me Uncle Hunter, little man.” I smiled, holding my hand out for him to shake. “But if you see me in school, then I’m afraid it will have to be Mr Peterson.”

Both Ian and Belle looked at me strangely, before Ian’s eyes lit up, “Are you the new coach?” He asked excitedly.

“That would be me, I will also be teaching freshman and junior history.” I smiled

“Oh cool.” Ian grinned. “What was the other condition?” He then asked his mother.

“You need to get his father’s permission for Clyde to come and help the Peterson’s move in.”

“You don’t have to do that. You’ve done enough. Really.” I say, “We also have another two friends coming over after they finish work to help out as well.” I add.

“The more the merrier.” Belle smiled, as she grabbed a box, “Now to meet this husband of yours.” She said as she turned to walk toward the house. “Oh and Ian, could you send your sister over to help out.” With that she disappeared into the house.

“I like her.” Vicky smirked. “It’s a good thing I came out when I did, or you’d have some splainin to do to the hubby.” She laughed.

“What?” I laughed at her, as I grabbed another box.

“She was just about all over you. At least it was with her eyes.” she laughed

“She was not checking me out.” I laughed at her.

Was she? Na she couldn’t have been.

Shaking my head, I placed the box down with the others.

“Hi, is my Mom here?” came the voice of a much younger version of Belle.

“Uh, yea.” I say, “She’s just in the house.”

“Ah Ruth. Come help me with some of the boxes in the kitchen.” Belle called from the doorway. “Oh and say hi to Mr Peterson and Ms Anderson.” She added before she disappeared into the house.

“Uh hi.” Ruth said, clearly uncomfortable. “Uh Nice house you got.” She added before scurrying embarrassedly into the house.

Vicky and I just smiled amused at the situation, before I carried on getting more boxes out of the van, while the movers grabbed the things they were after. Vicky also made sure Mia was not getting in the way.

***

I was sitting on the back of the van with Vicky, taking a breather, and sipping on some water Dale had bought out for me, when a car pulled in behind Dale’s. A smile basically split my face in two when I saw the rest of my best friend’s getting out. Evan and Madox, still together, and happier as ever. I grabbed them both in a bear hug, kissing each on the cheek closest to me.

“Hey guys, how was work?” I asked as I released them, but kept one hand on each arm, as I took in my friends. It felt like ages since I last saw them.

“Work was work. How was the drive up?” Evan smiled as he brushed my hand off so he could grab one of the boxes.

“Uncle Evan, Uncle Madox!” Came the excited squeals of two six year olds running into their favorite uncles arms.

Ethan in Madox’s, while Mia jumped into Evan’s with such force that he landed on his butt. He just laughed as he hugged his niece, giving her kisses all over face, causing her to squeal with laughter.

“How are my two favorite little people in the whole wide world?” Modox asked as he knelt down with Ethan on his hip, and roughling Mia’s already messy red hair.

“Gooooood.” Both twins beamed at him.


Evan then led Mia inside, with Madox following close behind.

Vicky and I just smiled, before I went back to what I was doing, and soon Madox replaced Vicky helping me get the stuff that was left in the van. Soon the van was empty, and we were moving boxes into the chaos that was my house, with Dale pointing in all directions to put which box where he wanted it.

With the movers gone. Madox and I set about putting the house in order by piercing together the disassembled furniture, like the desks, tables, and beds. Ian and his friend Clyde arrived shortly after the movers had left, and Belle had tasked them with unpacking the lounge room, with the twins helping out.

Once the beds were built and mattresses placed on them, Vicky set about making beds, with input on how the twins wanted their beds to be. Whilst that was being done, Dale and Evan were supplying us with drinks, and getting the grill ready, while Belle had taken it upon herself to unpack the kitchen with the help of her daughter, and were then busy prepping salads and other side dishes, to go with the grilled food.

With everyone helping out, we had our house set up before dinner was ready, with all the cardboard boxes taking up space in our garage, ready to be sorted out at a later stage. The rest of the night was spent outside, with the kids swimming. The two older boys took it upon themselves to try and teach the twins how to swim, except for Ruth, who decided that she was old enough to sit with adults at Sixteen.

“It’s a nice night isn’t it.” Dale said as handed me a beer, then proceeded to sit in lap.

“It sure is.” I smiled fondly at my husband, while snaking an arm around his waist to secure him.

“Someone please tell me where I can find a man to look at me like Hunter looks at Dale.” Belle said, with a wistful look on her face.

“You and me both, sister.” Vicky said, clinking her drink with Belles.

“So you all know each other from college?” Ruth asked from her seat next to her mother’s, sipping on her soda.

“Evan and I have been friends since kindergarten.” I say with a fond smile towards my oldest friend. “I then roomed and shared an apartment with Madox for a few years, we then met Vicky through Dale.” I added.

“To be fair, I met Dale and Vicky, when you had that hospital stay. And that was around the time that Mads and I got together.” Evan said, then placed a lovingly chaste kiss on his boyfriend's offered cheek.

“Staying in hospital is never fun, I hope it wasn’t a long stay.” Belle said, sympathetically.

Memories of my time in hospital flooded me. Causing me to smile thinking of all the good things that happened since then.

“It was ok,” I say, “A lot of good things came about from that time.” I smiled towards Dale, linking our hands together.

“There he goes again. You sirs are gonna make me jealous if you don’t stop soon.” Belle laughed.

“Don’t you mean queasy?” Evan said before bursting out in laughter, causing everyone else around us to laugh at our expense. Leaving both Dale and me blushing.

Welcome to the first Chapter of my 2nd book. I hope you all enjoyed :D
I am not American, so I hope you'll forgive me if I get something wrong
FDudney
  • Like 27
  • Love 25
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Can't wait for more...and don't worry you only made 4ish mistakes.  Better than a lot of American writers🤓

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

You must live in this country because what you described sounds like Americana to me.Having a student from the school Hunter is going to teach at living across the street will come into play I'm guessing

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Excellent beginning to the "Second Quarter" and I'm enjoying the continuing story of Hunter and Dale!  Thanks frankd. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Same here 

5 hours ago, mayday said:

Great start. But now I have to read the first novel, too...

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great beginning and I'm looking forward to more of Dale & Hunter and the gang! The twins sound precious.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Hello Frank:

Your newest story about Hunter and family 👨‍👨‍👧‍👦 is off to an interesting start. The twins are an absolute delight 🧑‍🤝‍🧑.  

Nothing attracted my 'editor's eye' or needed a 'red pencil'. As for "I am not American, so I hope you'll forgive me if I get something wrong", not to worry. Other than an obvious "whilst" or "unpacking the lounge room" (you could have called it a 'snug' but didn't), nothing really gave you away as being perhaps a 'cousin' from down under. In fact your earlier referral to 'family room' was spot on. And although a majority of GA readers are probably Americans, authors come from around the world and for me All are welcome. 

I look forward to coming chapters.

I hope you're well and coping with the continuing Covid-19 pandemic (although I think the nature of this horrific beast allows for it to be called a damndemic. Ooh a new word?). In any event, take care, stay safe and well.

:thankyou:

Tony

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 7/1/2021 at 10:55 PM, Terry P said:

Great chapter.  Good way to start it.  And the twins are so cute!

 

Thank you ^-^ the twins were fun to write.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 7/1/2021 at 11:53 PM, Clancy59 said:

What a great start.  I’m looking forward to reading this book. :thumbup:

Thank you ^-^

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 7/2/2021 at 12:34 AM, Timejun said:

Can't wait for more...and don't worry you only made 4ish mistakes.  Better than a lot of American writers🤓

Thank you ^-^ 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 7/2/2021 at 3:50 AM, weinerdog said:

You must live in this country because what you described sounds like Americana to me.Having a student from the school Hunter is going to teach at living across the street will come into play I'm guessing

hehe Thank you :D I actually grew up in South Africa, and now live in Oz. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 7/2/2021 at 4:24 AM, KayDeeMac said:

Excellent beginning to the "Second Quarter" and I'm enjoying the continuing story of Hunter and Dale!  Thanks frankd. 

Thank you ^-^

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 7/2/2021 at 8:20 PM, mayday said:

Great start. But now I have to read the first novel, too...

 

Thank you ^-^ I hope you enjoy the first book.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
22 hours ago, Modified Cub said:

Great beginning and I'm looking forward to more of Dale & Hunter and the gang! The twins sound precious.

Thank you ^-^ the twins have been fun to write, especially Mia.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Hello Frank:

Your newest story about Hunter and family 👨‍👨‍👧‍👦 is off to an interesting start. The twins are an absolute delight 🧑‍🤝‍🧑.  

Nothing attracted my 'editor's eye' or needed a 'red pencil'. As for "I am not American, so I hope you'll forgive me if I get something wrong", not to worry. Other than an obvious "whilst" or "unpacking the lounge room" (you could have called it a 'snug' but didn't), nothing really gave you away as being perhaps a 'cousin' from down under. In fact your earlier referral to 'family room' was spot on. And although a majority of GA readers are probably Americans, authors come from around the world and for me All are welcome. 

I look forward to coming chapters.

I hope you're well and coping with the continuing Covid-19 pandemic (although I think the nature of this horrific beast allows for it to be called a damndemic. Ooh a new word?). In any event, take care, stay safe and well.

:thankyou:

Tony

Thank you :D I have a close friend editing my chapters, and it has been helpful to learn. 

I hope you too stay safe in this damndemic.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I thoroughly enjoyed your first book.  I am sure no. 2 will be just as enjoyable and will be looking for numbers 8, 9 1nd 10 in the not too far future.   Thank you.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 7/8/2021 at 7:25 PM, bottomguy said:

I thoroughly enjoyed your first book.  I am sure no. 2 will be just as enjoyable and will be looking for numbers 8, 9 1nd 10 in the not too far future.   Thank you.

Thank you that means a lot ^-^ I am glad you enjoyed the 1st book, lets hope the 2nd one is just as good :D

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Nope. not American – 'Lounge Room' gave you away! Bit superior writing, good characterization anf excellent pacing. It is great to see a GA story that has been editied by a person who knows what he is doing. Your editor has left the Britishisms alone, and that is great, and NO grammatical errors …. that is a miracle. Keep ip the good work!

Mr Will

  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

Nope. not American – 'Lounge Room' gave you away! Bit superior writing, good characterization anf excellent pacing. It is great to see a GA story that has been editied by a person who knows what he is doing. Your editor has left the Britishisms alone, and that is great, and NO grammatical errors …. that is a miracle. Keep ip the good work!

Mr Will

Thank you, my editor has been great, and has been teaching me as I go

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..