Jump to content
    FrankD
  • Author
  • 1,778 Words
  • 2,293 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fourth Down: Second Quarter - 6. Chapter 6

“Uh, Mr. Peterson?” Came the voice of one of my freshman homeroom students.

“Yes Whitney, what can I do for you?” I ask, looking up to see her standing in front of my desk seemingly unsure of herself.

“You are coaching the football team, right?”

“Well I am officially taking over this afternoon,” I tell her. “Though, it might be a bit late for signups as tryouts are finished.”

“That’s the thing... I did sign up, but Coach Anders told me that I could not join ‘cause I am a girl.” Her voice was solemn.

“Well, usually girls don’t end up in highschool football teams,” I tell her. “But I don’t see why he would not allow you to try out. Tell you what, you come to practice this afternoon, and we’ll see where we go from there.” I say to her, hiding the fact that I was a bit irritated that my Assistant Coach was turning away potential players.

“Thanks, Sir.” She smiles, relieved, before returning to her desk.

Shortly after, the bell rang indicating the end of the period. As a result, the kids scurried from the class only to be replaced by the students who had me for their first period. The morning seemed to fly by, and soon I found myself enjoying my lunch with my colleagues in the faculty lounge.

“How’s Ethan doing?” Olivia asks as she takes the seat next to me.

“He’s doing well,” I tell her. Then I proceed to tell her about my current predicament with Whitney, and my Assistant Coach.

Olivia just smiles at me. “Knowing you, I am sure you’ll find a way to sort things out smoothly. I don’t think Adam is sexist, just... a little stuck in his ways?” She patted my hand.

“Thank,” I smile at her support. “So, how is Bruce?”

“Bruce is good. He is doing another double at the hospital today. He and Evan seem to be hitting it off. He just better not steal this one!” She laughs.

“Not if Madox has anything to say about it!” I joined in.

“Well, he has nothing to worry about, if what Bruce has been saying is true.” She leans in, as if she’s about to drop a big ass secret.

“Well…” She says, taking an exaggerated look around the room. “Everytime a certain Physiotherapist joins them for lunch,” she pauses, looks around again, “his face lights up like a lighthouse.” She grins.

We both burst out laughing at this ‘revelation’, resulting with the members of staff giving us amused looks.

“Though on a more serious note,” I say to her after we have calmed down a bit, “Is it weird seeing your husband, your ex, and Evan getting close?” I ask her, not even being able to comprehend the situation, as I have only been with the one guy.

“No... Not really,” she says after a moment's contemplation. “I mean, the thought of it possibly being weird crossed my mind when I found out they worked together. But seeing Madox happy, and being with Bruce...” A sigh of longing escaped her lips, as a smile lit up her face. “I couldn’t be happier.”

“How did you take his being bi?” I asked her, intrigued by the idea, especially after the rift that was caused between us when she found out about me being gay.

“Honestly?” She says, sitting back in her chair, relaxed. “It was never really a big issue. Well, for him it was. He was so worried that I’d see him in a different light, but… After what happened between us, and staying with Vicky, it really opened my eyes. She taught me so much. And now I have a wonderful guy in my life. So who cares if he also likes guys? The important thing is that he loves me, and I love him.”

“He’s really lucky,” I tell her, causing another smile to form on her face.

We caught up a bit more before the bell rang signalling the end of lunch and the beginning of the second half of the school day. We then gathered our things, saying our farewells, and left in different directions; me to my classroom, and her to the Nurses Office.

On my way, I happen to spy Ruth leaning against what I assume is her locker, with a few of her friends standing next to her.

“Don’t be too late for class, Ruth!” I smirked teasingly as I walked past her.

Although I am around the corner, the conversation between Ruth and her friends is easily heard. “Oh. My. God. Ruth! Mr Peterson, is like, so into you!” It was the thickest Valley accent I have ever heard.

“He is so not,” Ruth told her, the embarrassment clear in her voice.

“He, like, so totally is. And did you, like, see how totally hot he is in those pants?”

“Betsy, shut up!” I hear Ruth whisper harshly to her friend. “I don’t know how things are where you’re from, but Mr Peterson is my neighbor. And, ew, gross! He’s a married man!”

“Well, his wife sure is lucky. Did you see the ass on that man?”

Ruth’s only response was to laugh at her friend as they walked to their next class. Feeling somewhat amused by their gossip, I walked to mine, thinking how lucky I was to be married to Dale, the hottest guy I had ever laid eyes on.

The rest of the day went smoothly. After the last bell, and all my students had gone to their next destinations for the afternoon, I packed my things to drop off in my car before heading across the street to pick up the twins.

“How was your day?” I asked the two as I held their hands, leading them to the Nurse’s Office so Olivia could keep an eye on them while I got ready in my coaching gear.

“We did learn our BACs” Ethan said excitedly.

“ABCs” Mia corrected him.

“Yea, is what I said.” Ethan told her.

“Did you?” I asked, excited by their enthusiasm.

“She taught us the ABC song too!” Mia said, then the two started singing, to which I started singing along with them.

We had sung the song loudly about five times before I dropped them off with Olivia.

“They’re all yours,” she said, seemingly relieved, once I returned.

“Were they a little much?” I asked, as I went to pick up Ethan who wanted some Daddy cuddles.

“Na,” Olivia brushed it off. “They were fine. Once I got them to start coloring that is.” She laughed. “Well anyway I am off, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“See ya, Olivia! Drive safe!” I said to my friend.

“Bye Auntie Livia!” The twins say in unison.

“Ok, come on you two,” I tell my kids as we leave for the field. They would be with me on the field where I could keep an eye on them until Belle came after her shift, to pick them up.

Once on the field, I got them to sit on the outer edge and told them that they were only allowed to play in the area I indicated, or else they would not get any dessert.

Once I felt that they would be fine, I found Adam, and took him aside so I could talk to him about Whitney, who was standing alone looking nervous, but ready to train with the guys. I was also happy to see both Ian and Clyde on the field.

“Hey, Adam, I just wanted a word,” I say to him, once we’re out of ear shot.

“Sure. What’s on your mind, Hunter? I am glad your boy is doing well.” He says to me.

“Thanks. Uh, I wanted to know why Whitney wasn't allowed to try out?” I ask him, hoping I did not come across as accusatory.

He looked at me confused before replying, “um, ‘cause she’s a girl?” He says, as if that should be enough reason.

“She should still have been allowed to try out. If she’s able to prove that she has what it takes, and won’t get hurt, then she should still be able to play.” I say to him.

“What? You want a girl on the team?” He asks, clearly confused.

“Only if she is able to prove herself like every other player on the team,” I say to him. “There have been plenty of girls playing just as well with their male teammates,” I inform him.

“Really?” He says. “But what if she is unable to keep up?”

“Then we cross that bridge when we get there,” I smile.

With that we head back, so I can formally address the kids and tell them what they can expect from me, and what I expect from them, hoping to carry over the lessons taught to me from my coach from college. I also let Whitney train with the guys, after I told her what I wanted to see from her.

Belle came and left with the twins, about half an hour into the training session, in which Whitney was showing the freshman just how it was done, causing the boys to push that little extra.

“Looks like we have a new team member!” Adam’s voice was awestruck.

“Looks that way,” I responded, happy about my decision to let her tryout.


***

Stepping through the threshold of my front door, the only thought on my mind was the hot shower I needed after training with the team. Heading upstairs to our room, I relished in the peace and quiet with no one else in the house.

I am just about to step into the shower when I hear what appears to be someone pounding urgently on our front door. So grabbing the sweats I usually sleep in, I pull them on and rush down to the door. Opening it, I find a very scared looking Ian.

“What’s wrong Ian?” I say, as worry sets in. I am hoping to god that the kids are okay.

“It’s Mom!” He says, grabbing my hand and pulling me across the street to his house.

Entering Belle’s house, I am met with the scared wailing of my twins.

Are they hurt? I need to make sure they are ok.

“Where are the twins?” I ask, scared that they might be hurt.

Ian doesn’t even answer me, as he pulls me into the kitchen.

“I was just talking to Mom, when she suddenly collapsed!” He sobbed.

From my vantage point in the doorway, I could see Belle sprawled out on the floor. A small pool of blood soaking into her blonde hair.

Sorry for the slight lateness, hope you all enjoyed it :D
 
FDudney
  • Like 29
  • Love 7
  • Wow 11
  • Fingers Crossed 4
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

9 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Oh my my I hope Belle is going to be OK'

Coach Anders might have violated the law by not letting Whitney try out.There is a law in the U.S. called Title IV that they says they have  to give her an equal opportunity.

We will have to wait and see I'm afraid. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

The synopsis of the story indicates Dale and Hunter take in two kids in need. I anticipate these kids may be Ruth and Ian, suggesting Belle is either dead or incapable of looking after them, at least in the short term. I hope I am wrong.

This continuation of the life of Hunter and Dale has been a rewarding read so far @FrankD. Keep up the good work.

Thank you ^_^ I am glad you are enjoying it :D

  • Like 3
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Howzat said:

@FrankD talk about a cliffhanger!

Can't wait for the next chapter.

Next chapter is coming soon ;)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
21 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Oh my my I hope Belle is going to be OK'

Coach Anders might have violated the law by not letting Whitney try out.There is a law in the U.S. called Title IV that they says they have  to give her an equal opportunity.

Oops...wrong title...it's Title IX, not IV. 

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

I just started reading this story today but love it much already.  The cliffie has me anticipating the next chapter!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, pvtguy said:

I just started reading this story today but love it much already.  The cliffie has me anticipating the next chapter!

Thank you ^-^ You won't have to wait too long for the next installment ;)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..