Jump to content
    FrankD
  • Author
  • 1,783 Words
  • 1,133 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fourth Down: Second Quarter - 14. Chapter 14

“This is Bullshit!” Ruth Raged after informing our family of what we had received earlier that day. “He ran out on us and now he wants us back? Well he fuck right off with that.”

“He can’t take us, can he?” Ian asked nervously.

“He still has parental rights, he being your father,” Dale informed them, “But we will do our best to fight it.” He quickly added.

“You two are family, and in this family we fight for each other.” I told them

“We can use the fact that he has basically been absent from your lives since a very young age, and that he is basically a stranger. There is also the fact that your mother has granted the Peterson’s guardianship over you.” Mr Phelps added.

We spent the rest of the evening with Mr Phelps, discussing what we could expect going forward, and the many ways we could hope to combat this. The very first thing he wanted to do was to set up a meeting with both parties, hoping we could come up with some sort of agreement that would benefit all involved.

“I don’t like this,” I said into Dale’s chest, as we held on to each other in bed that night after getting everyone somewhat settled.

“I know, it doesn’t feel right,” Dale responded, then leaving a gentle kiss on the top of my head.

“He had all these years to try and be in their lives, so why now.”

“I don’t know,” He sighed, “Come let’s get some sleep. We can talk more about this in the morning.

A few days later we received word that Oliver Jacobs had agreed to meet with us at Dale’s firm in the next few weeks. Weeks that were spent trying to distract the kids from the upcoming event. Dale was also working very closely with Mr. Phelps, coming up with ways that they could combat this with the help of the law.

It was a week before we were to meet with the kids' father, when I found Ian sitting alone outside by the pool. Dangling his feet in the water as he stared blankly into the pools clear blue depths. He had been isolating himself more and more as the weeks progressed. Both Clyde and Ethan struggled sometimes to get him to utter a single sentence.

“How you holding up, Bud?” I asked as I lowered myself down to join him at the pool's edge. Ian just shrugged, and continued his staring contest with the water.

“Whatever happens, we will always be there for you and your sister.” I tried to reassure the kid.

“But why though? It’s not like you guys are our actual family.” His voice, quiet and despondent.

“Listen here kiddo,” I said, wrapping one arm around his shoulders, and pulling him into an embrace. “We have been a family ever since you, your sister, and your mother helped us move in. Heck, look at how you and the twins interact, one could almost think that you were their older brother. I know for a fact that that is how Ethan sees you.”

At the mention of the young boy's name, a gentle smile developed on the young teen’s face. “He’s a sweet kid, I’d be lucky to have a younger brother like him. I am just, so confused,” He said, as tears quietly ran down his face, “On one hand I want to meet my father, I barely have memories of him as it is. I feel like I should hate him, but I can’t.” He wept, “It’s like every time I think of him, or look at his picture, I have this warm feeling come over me.”

My only response to this was to hold him closer to me, giving him the support he needed to let it all out.

“Would you hate me if I chose to live with him?” He asked, looking worriedly into my eyes.

“I could never hate you kiddo,” I said, giving him a gentle squeeze to try and reassure him, “And if that is what you choose, then we will support you. We will support both you and your sister in whatever you choose, whether it is this or what you do when you are an adult. That love and support will never go away, even if you choose to leave here.” I tried to smile.

***

“OK, Let me do most of the talking, try and be as honest as possible if and when they ask you anything,” Mr. Phelps was saying to us outside the room we were to use,”And try to keep control of your emotions.” He added.

Ruth just rolled her eyes in response. At first we thought it best that the kids not participate, but reconsidered in the end when Ruth was quite adamant that she would be there, the fact that she was seventeen also helped in her favour.

Upon entering the room, we saw three men, already seated at the table. Two were rather slim and had rather cold, calculating looks on their faces. The other was more rotund and had a rather pompous air to him. He reminded me somewhat of that uncle character from Harry Potter.

We introduced ourselves, and they did not even bother with the same courtesy. Things had not even started and already we knew they were going to make this difficult.

“Our client is here just as courtesy, as he will be taking the young Jacobs children into his custody after this farce of a meeting ends.” The weedier, of the two smaller men said.

“For that to even be considered, my clients would have to agree to it first. Especially seeing as they have legal custody.”

“Nonsense!” The larger man bellowed, “It will be a cold day in hell before I see my children potentially get corrupted by living with a couple of faggots!”

Both Dale and I were staring daggers at this pig of a man, when I noticed Ruth abruptly rise from her chair and storm out of the room.

“Well she certainly doesn’t seem fit to be working in the law industry.” Mr Jacobs laughed, as I too rose from my chair to go after her.

“Well fortunately that is not up to you.” Mr Phelps responded coldly.

“That man is NOT my father,” She yelled at me as soon as she saw me.

“He might be an arrogant asshole, but he is still your fa…” I tried.

“No! He is not!” She said as she paced, “I do not know who that man is.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, confused, as I grasped her shoulders so she could look at me.

“Unlike Ian, I remember my Father. I have never met that man in there who is claiming to be him.”

“You might not recognise him,” I tried.

Ruth just pulled out her phone, and showed me an image of what looked to be a slender man, with dark brown hair, and almost black looking brown eyes.

“Not only is his hair a different color, their eyes do not match.” She stated.

A cold chill overtook me. Who was this man claiming to be the Jacobs kids father? What the fuck was going on here? Was he trying to use the courts to somehow kidnap them?

That thought alone filled me with dread.

Pulling out my own phone I called the one person who might be able to help.

“Hey Hunter, is everything ok?”

“Hey Sheriff, not really. Hey, could you come to Dale’s office? I need to talk to you about something.”

“Sure, I’ll be there in five.” He replied then promptly cut the line.

“Sheriff Barker is on his way now, I want you to wait out here, then I want you to come get me when he gets here.”

Ruth just nodded, taking a seat in the firm's waiting room.

“It makes no difference if my client has not been in their lives for over ten years. He is here now, and he has a legal right to those children.” I heard one of the weedy men say as I reentered the room.

Once I took my seat next to Dale, he passed me his phone.

“Is everything alright? How is she?” The phone read.

“She is fine now, but we have a problem.” I typed in his phone for him to see.

I then proceeded to inform him of what Ruth told me. His eyebrows shot up on reading what I had just written. He then passed it to our lawyer who simply looked at it, nodded, then passed it back. He went on arguing as if he had not just seen the new information, and it was a few minutes until Ruth came in quietly to get me.

“Excuse me gentlemen,” I said, getting up quietly from my chair.

“Albert,” I smiled at my new friend, “Or should I call you Sheriff since you’re here on official business.”

“Albert is fine, if it is just us,” He reassured, “Now tell me what this is about.”

“So you know how Oliver Jacobs is challenging us for parental rights?” I asked. “Well the man in there did not even recognise his supposed daughter, and the picture Ruth showed to me was of a man who looked drastically different.”

“Well even I can tell that none of the men in there is Oliver.”

“Wouldn’t this be considered as kidnapping?” I asked

“It’s a weird way to attempt an abduction, and not one that I am sure would even succeed.” He said, “I think it’s time I introduced myself.” He added with an evil gleam in his eye.

“What’s a cop doing here?” Mr. Fakey McFakerson asked when we entered the room

“I’m surprised Oliver, don’t you recognise an old friend?” Albert asked, in faux surprise “Well that is what I would have asked if you were indeed Oliver Jacobs. Now who are you?”

“I am Oliver Jacobs! How dare you question my identity, I hope you like being sued.” He bellowed, his face purple with rage.

“Well regardless you are hereby being detained, and until we get your actual identity, will most likely be charged with two counts of attempted kidnapping,” Sheriff Barker smiled, “And as for you two,” He directed towards the other lawyers, you will be charged as accessories if it come to light that you knew what was going on and did not warn the authorities.” He then radioed for a few patrol cars to come and collect them.

“I am going to look into this. See what we are actually dealing with because something smells fishy.” Albert said to us.

Thank you for reading Chapter 14, wish all of you a very happy and safe Easter weekend :D
FDudney
  • Like 25
  • Love 9
  • Wow 13
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 minute ago, weinerdog said:

Out of all the scenarios I definitely didn't see that one coming.

That someone would try to pull that isn't surprising but all the obvious holes about the fake Mr Jacobs  makes this a head scratcher

Some people are just not too bright I guess ;) and thanks :D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

I don't think anyone saw that coming.  And I'm rather glad about that as the kids would have been miserable otherwise.  Now to find out who they really are and why they're doing what their doing.  There is a ring of a religious cult to this whole mess.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Wow.  Just…wow.

That was totally unexpected!  

Interestingly enough, I said in the last chapter that that Priestly woman may have been in contact with the father.  Well, now I may have to rethink this.  

This is probably someone from her so-called ‘church’ (read ‘cult’) she contacted with her outrage and they have decided to take things into their own hands.  The law firm may well be from out-of-state, but they may actually represent the ‘church’ and it’s minions. These groups often have wide-flung reaches. They may not actually have any contact with the father, at least not yet.  Their goal could be to get control of the kids (more recruits), at least, purportedly, until they can find him, for their own protection, of course.  They can then ‘interrogate’ them and get ‘dirt’ on those ‘filthy’ homosexuals to prove how awful and hurtful they have been to the kids, then they’ll try to get their hands on the twins! They could also be maneuvering to get their hands on the estate (After all, they are just children and can’t be in control of such a thing by themselves.  We have to administer it for them, through the church, of course, to protect them. And if they decide to donate it all to the church in thanks, well…)

Wow!  I have such an evil mind!  I think I’ve been reading and watching too many conspiracy theory stories!

Edited by Clancy59
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 4/16/2022 at 8:56 PM, Clancy59 said:

Wow.  Just…wow.

That was totally unexpected!  

Interestingly enough, I said in the last chapter that that Priestly woman may have been in contact with the father.  Well, now I may have to rethink this.  

This is probably someone from her so-called ‘church’ (read ‘cult’) she contacted with her outrage and they have decided to take things into their own hands.  The law firm may well be from out-of-state, but they may actually represent the ‘church’ and it’s minions. These groups often have wide-flung reaches. They may not actually have any contact with the father, at least not yet.  Their goal could be to get control of the kids (more recruits), at least, purportedly, until they can find him, for their own protection, of course.  They can then ‘interrogate’ them and get ‘dirt’ on those ‘filthy’ homosexuals to prove how awful and hurtful they have been to the kids, then they’ll try to get their hands on the twins! They could also be maneuvering to get their hands on the estate (After all, they are just children and can’t be in control of such a thing by themselves.  We have to administer it for them, through the church, of course, to protect them. And if they decide to donate it all to the church in thanks, well…)

Wow!  I have such an evil mind!  I think I’ve been reading and watching too many conspiracy theory stories!

 

Thank you, and hey conspiracy theories can be fun ;)

Link to comment
On 4/17/2022 at 3:57 PM, Hellsheild said:

"I fought the law and the law won! I fought the law and the law won!"Drag Queen Dancing GIF by Paramount+

Bonus ❤️ for Trixie 😁🥰

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..