Jump to content
    FrankD
  • Author
  • 2,577 Words
  • 1,308 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fourth Down: Second Quarter - 13. Chapter 13

The next few days were hard. I had to be strong for her kids. It was heart wrenching as we watched their hearts break the next morning when both Dale and I broke the news to them. Ian took it hard as he clung to his mother’s still body, wailing for her to wake up. While Ruth held her mother’s hand one final time, while straining to keep her emotions in check. I later found her clinging to Mia’s small frame in her room, finally allowing herself to grieve.

Though the twins were too young to understand what had happened, they somehow knew that the older two were hurting. Ethan never left Ian’s side, and we would often find that Ethan would climb into Ian’s bed. And just like her brother, Mia too did not leave Ruth’s side. Though unlike her brother who would offer comfort, Mia would try to distract Ruth from her pain, often telling her silly stories or telling silly little jokes. And if those failed to bring a smile to Ruth’s face, she would just resort to holding the older girl.

At Belle’s funeral it was like half the town had arrived, offering their condolences to both Ruth and Ian, who were being flanked by our family. Clyde stood beside his friend, his hand on Ian’s shoulder, offering his support as the young teen mourned the loss of his mother.

It was a few days after the funeral that our somewhat sombre atmosphere was disturbed with someone knocking on our door.

“Can I help you?” I asked the well suited man on my doorstep.

“Hi, my name is Aaron Phelps,” He said, offering his hand in greeting, then went on to inform us that he represented the law firm that was handling Belle’s estate and was there for a reading of the will.

“Oh,” I said numbly, as I shook the proffered hand. “Please come in.”

Leading him into the living room I turned to him, “Would you like something to drink? Coffee, tea, water?” I asked before offering him a seat.

“Water would be nice, thank you.” Mr. Phelps smiled, as he took a seat on the Sofa.

After handing the lawyer his water I took the seat across from him, sitting next to my husband, who had joined us after making sure to let both Ruth and Ian know that they would want to be here for this.

After taking a sip of his water, Mr Phelps proceeded to read to us the contents of Belle’s will. First on the list was that Dale and I were given guardianship over the two Jacobs kids. He then proceeded to inform them that Ruth was to receive the family home, then what assets they were to receive. With that done Mr. Phelps thanked us for our time. Before leaving he left his business card with us, and told us to contact him if any problems occurred or if we had any questions.

A few days later as I was just getting lunch ready for the kids when I heard a knock on the front door. I turned the pot of water down low, I was making a simple spaghetti dish that the kids seemed to love. Then washing my hands, I went to greet whoever was at the door, thinking it was probably another ‘Well Wisher’ offering their condolences for the loss of our friend. The sentiment was greatly appreciated, and it was nice to know that Belle was so beloved by the community.

Answering the front door I found a couple who I would guess would be in their early to mid sixties. The woman, I am assuming she was the wife, was dressed conservatively as was her husband.

“Can I help you?” I asked the couple.

“Hi I’m Merideth Priestly,” The woman said, as she walked uninvited into my home, “This is my husband Lukas.” She smiled as she took in the interior of my home.

Mr. Priestly for his credit looked at me apologetically as he followed his wife inside.

“Ah… please come inside,” I said, taken aback by the sudden intrusion, “Can I get you anything to drink?” I ask as I lead them into the living room.

“Tea would be lovely.” Mrs. Priestly said as she proceeded to seat herself on my sofa.

Going into the kitchen, I set up a tray with mugs, a sugar bowl, and a jug of cream as the kettle boiled.

“You have a lovely family,” Mrs Priestly said to me on returning into the living room with the tray.

“Thanks,” I replied as I placed the tray down on the coffee table, “Cream, Sugar?”

“Yes please” She smiled at my question, “I must say, your wife is very beautiful, as are your children.”

I looked at her confused, then I realised she was looking at a picture of both Dale and I, with Vicky standing between us, and the twins who were four at the time, standing in front with big smiles on their little faces.

“Oh,” I smiled, “Vicky is actually a dear friend of ours, she is also the mother of our twins. Now the handsome young man in the picture is who I am actually married to.”

“Oh,” was all she said. She just sat there stiffly now, holding her cup of tea as if it was actually a cup of vile poison. Her husband, on the other hand, just sat there looking like he would rather be someplace else, as he tried to make himself as small as possible. He had also not added a single word to the conversation.

“And does she live here with you and… this other man?”

“No, she lives next door.” I answered, narrowing my gaze at her.

“You mean, she actually allows her children to be exposed to this… this corruption?” she gasped.

“Corruption?” I asked, now openly glaring at this woman. Who did she think she was, coming into my home?

“I am gonna have to ask you to leave.” I said standing up.

“What?” She asked, completely shocked, her mouth open and closing like a fish.

“It was nice meeting you, but you are no longer welcome in my home. Please leave.” I told the pair, indicating the door.

“Well I never,” Mrs. Priestly said standing up, snatching up her purse. “I have never been insulted in all my life. Come on Lukas,” She said, grabbing at her husband's hand and hauling him off to the front door.

I just followed her as she stormed out of my house, dragging her poor husband along as if he was on a leash. At least he looked apologetically towards me on their way out.

Once they passed the threshold of my home, I slammed my front door behind them. Then trying to put the incident out of my head, I went back into the kitchen to finish up lunch, grateful that all four kids including Clyde, who seemed to be a regular now at our home were in the pool. Thus not being exposed to that toxic woman.

That evening we were having a quiet dinner, when we were interrupted by someone at the door. Dale got up to answer it, then made sure the kids were going to stay put and continue eating by putting Ruth in charge before joining my husband.

“I thought I told you, you were no longer welcome here.” I said coldly as I recognised Mrs Priestly, who was sitting where she had sat earlier that day. This time joined by a neatly dressed woman I did not recognise.

Upon saying this, Dale instantly recognised what I was referring to after I had told him what had happened earlier that day when he had come home from the office.

“Yes, well,” Mrs Priestly all but spat, “I thought I should introduce to you, my dear friend Harriet Dunspur.” She said with a disgusted look on her face.

This woman just looked at us coldly, not even bothering to offer her hand in greeting. “I work for Child Protective Services, and I have come to relieve you of the children in your care.”

“What!?” Both Dale and I asked, in complete shock

“You can’t do that,” Dale said, a quiet rage began radiating off of him.

“The simple fact that they have been exposed to and are living with unrepentant homosexuals, says that I can.” This thin woman spat.

Sensing the danger this woman posed for my family, I left the room for the kitchen, phone in hand, leaving Dale to handle these women for the time being. Searching through my contacts, I sent a text to Vicky, knowing she too worked for CPS, asking her to come over as it was an emergency. I also sent a text to Sheriff Barker, hoping his presence would help calm the situation in the living room.

“Is everything ok?” Ruth asked as she stepped into the kitchen from the dining room.

“It will be.” I said, trying to reassure her, “Listen, could you take the kids out for ice cream?” I asked, handing her my keys to the car, and some money.

“Sure,” She smiled, as she went back into the dining room, where she gathered her brother and the twins and led them quietly out of the front door.

“What are you doing here, Harriet?” I heard Vicky hostiley asking the woman. It was clear she did think fondly of this woman.

“I would think my presence would be obvious, Victoria. And what may I ask, are you doing here?”

“My kids live here, for one.”

“If you knew this, why would you allow these… These people to corrupt them?”

“My kids living with their Fathers is of no concern to you, Harriet. As for the Jacobs teens, it was their mother, a dear friend of ours who’s dying wish was that these two men were to be parental figures to her dear children, and so they were granted guardianship.” Vicky said, as if it should be obvious.

“Allowing these innocent children to live here sends the wrong message.” Mrs. Priestly tried to put in. “Their souls will end up being corrupted, and could possibly lead them to being homosexual as well.”

“Oh really Merideth.” Sheriff Barker said, only having just stepped into the living room, and hearing what she had said. “Living with you didn’t stop your son turning out gay.” He added coldy

Mrs. Priestly clearly bristled at the mention of her son.

“I have no son.” She all but spat, “And I will be having a word with your mother about your lack of respect for the community you should be serving.”

“Oh I have a lot of respect for my community, Ma’am” he said condescendingly, “What I don’t respect is two members of this community coming and harassing this fine family.” He added firmly. “Now I am going to have to ask you to leave, and to please leave these people in peace.

“But the children are still in danger, they have to come with us.” Mrs. Dunspur sputtered.

“Well seeing as I am here, I can clearly see that the children are perfectly safe where they are. Now if you’d be so kind.” Sheriff Barker said sternly, leading the unwelcome guests from our house.

Once they left, I just collapsed onto the seat behind me. Dale sat with me, taking my shaking body into his arms.

“Are you ok?” Sheriff Barker said, squatting down in front of us. Placinging a reassuring hand
on my shoulder.

“We will be, and thanks Sheriff.” Dale sighed.

“It’s no problem, and please, I think it’s high time two start calling me Al, don’t you think?” He smiled at us.

“So is it true?” I asked him

“Is what true?” Albert asked back, seemingly confused by my question.

“Is it true that that Priestly woman has a gay son?”

“Oh…” Albert said, taken aback, then looked down, his face taking on a sombre expression, “Yea, she has.”

“What happened to him?” Dale asked.

Vicky then placed a few mugs of tea in front of us, she must have gone into the kitchen when those two women had left.

“I am going to have a word with my supervisor first thing tomorrow morning, this is simply inexcusable.” She said plopping down.

“So what happened to him?” I asked the question again, after the silence stretched on, thinking Al might have forgotten what Dale had asked.

Taking a moment to sit down, and taking a sip of his tea that Vicky had provided, he sighed, “Lets just say he was my best friend all throughout school. Well up until halfway through our sophomore year.” Taking another sip, he continued, staring off into space, “Something happened to him which resulted in him being outed.”

“Oh that’s horrible…”I said softly.

“It was, I am not sure what happened. All I know is that it involved the rest of the football team.” He said in a sad voice.

“What do you mean by ‘the rest’?” Dale asked. “Were you a part of it? The football team that is”

“I was,” he sighed, “though I was not involved in what happened, and no one told me even when I asked. Suffice it to say, this incident, whatever it was, led to my friend being outed. Which caused him to isolate himself from the rest of the school, even though I tried my damndest to be there for him.” He said, as a tear slid down his handsome face.

“At least you tried,” Vicky said, rubbing his knee sympathetically.

Al just smiled at her, “Thanks. After that it was pretty clear to me that his homelife was no better. From what I heard, his parents apparently refused to acknowledge him at home. That he was only allowed to go to school, and that was it. The rest of his days were apparently spent locked up in his room.” He said sadly

“That is fucked up.” Dale spat, clearly remembering what had happened to me.

“Do you know what happened to him?” I asked, hoping that whoever this guy was, he was in a better place.

“All I can say is that he is currently in a bad place, but I am trying to help him.”

“You got back in contact?” Vicky asked.

“Lets just say being Sheriff comes with some perks,” He smiled wistfully before becoming sombre again. “But yea, I managed to locate him, and we are at least speaking again.”

“He is very lucky to have a friend like you.” I told him.

Al’s only response was to smile at me.

It was a couple weeks later that things in our home had come to some semblance of normality. Dale’s home office had now been completely converted into Ruth’s bedroom, and Ethan’s room was now known as the ‘boys’ room, much to their delight.

It was when I had just taken the mail inside that I noticed a rather important looking letter addressed to both me and my husband. I let out a small gasp when I read the contents of that letter. It stated that it had come from an out of state law firm, claiming to represent a man by the name of Oliver Jacobs. It was informing us that Mr. Jacobs had become aware of his ex-wife’s passing, and would now be pursuing to reclaim custody of his children.

Thank you for reading Chapter 13 :D 
As always I hope you're all enjoying the story so far
FDudney
  • Like 19
  • Love 2
  • Wow 4
  • Angry 21
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I have heard some horror stories about the leeway FPS has in some states and if you have an ignorant incompetent person like the one in this chapter in charge things like this can happen.

As far as the letter they got from the law firm my first reaction is I bet bet the kids don't even know him and he probably wants control of the assets including the house that is suppose to be Ruths.I bet Mrs. Priestly will try to get involved in that also.

  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment

I might be reaching, but I hope Al's friend finds closure by the end of this story and his mother gets whats coming to her. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

And just who is this Priestly woman?  Why was she there, pushing her way into the house as if she had every right, in the first place?  Why didn’t the husband make a peep?  At first, I thought she was one of the grandmas, but that was obviously wrong.

It sounds like that Dunspur woman overstepped her authority, also.  She probably told Priestly she could remove kids in an emergency situation.  But that only applies when their lives are in immediate danger, which is far from the truth here.  It sounds like she has a history of this kind of behavior.  Hopefully, this will be enough for her to not only lose her job, but also her license.

I guess the ex-husband had to be notified about Belle, but I am willing to bet that Meredith has been in contact with him, also.  He may want to get his hands on the estate, but she wants to get back at the ‘sinners’ who thwarted her in her campaign of terror.  This out-of-state attorney have to either be admitted to the bar in this state or find a local partner firm.  Hopefully, Belle’s wishes and Ruth’s choices for herself and Ian will bear a lot of weight in the court, if it gets that far.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

And just who is this Priestly woman?  Why was she there, pushing her way into the house as if she had every right, in the first place?  Why didn’t the husband make a peep?  At first, I thought she was one of the grandmas, but that was obviously wrong.

It sounds like that Dunspur woman overstepped her authority, also.  She probably told Priestly she could remove kids in an emergency situation.  But that only applies when their lives are in immediate danger, which is far from the truth here.  It sounds like she has a history of this kind of behavior.  Hopefully, this will be enough for her to not only lose her job, but also her license.

I guess the ex-husband had to be notified about Belle, but I am willing to bet that Meredith has been in contact with him, also.  He may want to get his hands on the estate, but she wants to get back at the ‘sinners’ who thwarted her in her campaign of terror.  This out-of-state attorney have to either be admitted to the bar in this state or find a local partner firm.  Hopefully, Belle’s wishes and Ruth’s choices for herself and Ian will bear a lot of weight in the court, if it gets that far.  

'Priestly' by name but certainly not by nature. Check her shoes to see if they are 'cloven hooves', for she and her ilk (and there are a LOT of them, especially worming their way into FPS / CPS etc) are no doubt in league with SATAN (and PUT IN their own evil doings).

 

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBf9BVIsLzyxc1KwEJiF5shqAg5_rBGyPE0IVSh3urwCEn__RzLq1tptCZpP9KClO9-vKzhSc-4_WvzMs4ycJyWze_7vnkPy7N6jSKSgziSRROX4QbemVl&usqp=CAs

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
On 4/8/2022 at 3:32 PM, weinerdog said:

I have heard some horror stories about the leeway FPS has in some states and if you have an ignorant incompetent person like the one in this chapter in charge things like this can happen.

As far as the letter they got from the law firm my first reaction is I bet bet the kids don't even know him and he probably wants control of the assets including the house that is suppose to be Ruths.I bet Mrs. Priestly will try to get involved in that also.

That's kinda scary, though I would not be surprised :/ Also thanks :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 4/8/2022 at 4:59 PM, Clancy59 said:

And just who is this Priestly woman?  Why was she there, pushing her way into the house as if she had every right, in the first place?  Why didn’t the husband make a peep?  At first, I thought she was one of the grandmas, but that was obviously wrong.

It sounds like that Dunspur woman overstepped her authority, also.  She probably told Priestly she could remove kids in an emergency situation.  But that only applies when their lives are in immediate danger, which is far from the truth here.  It sounds like she has a history of this kind of behavior.  Hopefully, this will be enough for her to not only lose her job, but also her license.

I guess the ex-husband had to be notified about Belle, but I am willing to bet that Meredith has been in contact with him, also.  He may want to get his hands on the estate, but she wants to get back at the ‘sinners’ who thwarted her in her campaign of terror.  This out-of-state attorney have to either be admitted to the bar in this state or find a local partner firm.  Hopefully, Belle’s wishes and Ruth’s choices for herself and Ian will bear a lot of weight in the court, if it gets that far.  

She obviously has an over inflated ego ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 4/9/2022 at 1:06 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

'Priestly' by name but certainly not by nature. Check her shoes to see if they are 'cloven hooves', for she and her ilk (and there are a LOT of them, especially worming their way into FPS / CPS etc) are no doubt in league with SATAN (and PUT IN their own evil doings).

 

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBf9BVIsLzyxc1KwEJiF5shqAg5_rBGyPE0IVSh3urwCEn__RzLq1tptCZpP9KClO9-vKzhSc-4_WvzMs4ycJyWze_7vnkPy7N6jSKSgziSRROX4QbemVl&usqp=CAs

My thoughts exactly :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..