Jump to content
    FrankD
  • Author
  • 1,347 Words
  • 1,622 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fourth Down: Second Quarter - 16. Chapter 16

“You’re lying!” Ruth cried out, before running out of the room. Her eyes, wet with tears.

“My dad’s, dead?” Ian asked in a small confused voice.

I got up from my seat and sat next to Ian, taking the boy in my arms.

“I’m sorry,” Albert said as he took a book out of a bag, which I had now just noticed was sitting next to him. “This is his journal, we also managed to salvage some of the stuff he had on him.

“What happened to him?” Dale asked, sitting down on the other side of Ian.

“From what the FBI have been able to tell me. The motel that that Oliver was staying at, was a front for human trafficking. The owners would apparently target out of state visitors. The men would be murdered, and they would sell what ever belongings they could. While the women would be taken out of the country.” He said solemnly.

“Jesus,” Dale uttered as we held Ian closer to us.

“Come,” I said to Ian as I led him upstairs, feeling like we had had enough of that conversation. If there was anything important we missed, I knew Dale would fill us in. “Let's find your sister.” I added, looking at the journal in my hand.

We found her soon enough, holed up in her room. She was sitting on her bed, a pillow hugged tightly to her body as she quietly wept.

“Hey,” I said softly, sitting down next to her and taking her in my arms. Offering what comfort I could with Ian doing the same on the other side of her.

“I’ve hated him for so long,” Ruth uttered, after a long period of us just sitting there. “I thought he left us, and now I found out he was taken from us.” She wept as she buried her head in my shoulder. I just squeezed her tighter, letting her know I was there.

I sat with the teens in silence after that, feeling bad for what they were going through. With Belle’s passing, and now the reason for their father’s absence, they must be taking this hard. Hopefully this will be the end of the hardships they would have to face for a long time. But with everything that was happening with that Priestly woman, I wasn’t so sure. I just knew I needed to protect the kids. And if I was lucky, Ruth and Ian would not have to deal with that as well, and neither would Mia and Ethan.

It was a few hours later that I left the teens, who had fallen asleep on Ruth’s bed. Both holding onto each other. I gently placed Oliver’s journal on her nightstand, hoping it would offer some closure for them. Then as quietly as I could, I left the room. Closing the door on the way out.

“Sorry about this,” Albert said once I had rejoined them in the living room.

“No, thank you for finding out what happened to Oliver.” I told him.

We spent the next few hours discussing what we were going to do with Oliver’s remains. We wanted them brought home, so he could have a proper burial. Thinking about what his last moments must have been like left me shuddering. My heart going out to him, and the other people affected by this.

“How are they?” Dale asked, breaking me from my thoughts.

“Sleeping,” I told him, as my arms snuck around his torso, seeking the comfort that I always found there.

As the weeks passed, I would often see Ruth sitting in an armchair next to a window. Her father’s journal in her hands, and a sad smile on her face, as she read her father’s words.

“So what was he like?” I asked her as I took a seat near her, after giving her a mug of tea.

“He was such a dork,” She laughed. “He talks about how he met Mom in school, and how it was love at first sight.” She added with a smile, “Who knew he was such a romantic.”

We then spend the next hour or so talking about him. Both from what he had written in the journal and of what she could remember. She remembered how excited he had gotten when he had found out Belle had been pregnant with Ian. Of how he would spoil all of them. And of how much it had hurt when he had disappeared, thinking he had left them.

“I want him buried next to Mom,” Ruth suddenly said.

“Hmm?” I hummed after taking a mouthful of tea.

“Well, I know you and Dale are having him brought home.” She said softly.

“It’s the right thing to do,” Was all I said.

“And thanks. It means a lot to both me and Ian. I have hated him so much for what I thought he had done to us.”

“I know,” Was all I could say, as I gently squeezed her shoulder.

Over the next week, I spent some of my freetime with Dale, going over arrangements for a funeral of a man we had never met, a man who meant so much to a best friend we had lost only months before. A man who meant so much to the kids left behind, Kids who meant so much to us as well. We had managed to contact those who were close to Oliver while he was still alive, and were able to set up a meeting with his and Belle’s church. The old priest who had married them, the same one that had spoken for Belle at her funeral, jumped at the chance to do the same for Oliver. He also apologised for his colleague at the other church in town for their campaign against my family. Saying it was very unchristian of them.
Oliver was soon laid to rest in a plot next to the love of his life. Just like Belle, the turn out was quite the same. There were also quite a few new faces. Faces belonging to those who Oliver had worked with, and who he had sold things to. There was one face however, one that was definitely not welcome. Mrs Priestly sat there with her husband. Dabbing her dry eyes with a tissue as she pretended to grieve. I noticed how her eyes seemed to be focused on my kids which now included both Ian and Ruth. So Dale and I made more of an effort to not let the teens be alone for a minute. Just in case she tried something. It was Mr Priestly who surprised me.

“I’m sorry for your loss,” He solemnly told Ruth and then said the same to Ian.

“You are doing a fine job,” He then said to me.

“Excuse me?” I asked, not thinking I had heard right.

“With the Jacobs kids,” He clarified, “Belle could not have chosen better for her kids.”

“Then why is your wife trying to make our lives difficult?” I replied in a harsh quiet tone.

“I truly am sorry for that,” He said to me, “And for more.” he suddenly added with wide eyes.

“More?” I asked, suddenly feeling outraged, “What do you mean ‘More’?” I said, my voice getting louder.

“I’m sorry,” Was all Mr. Priestly said, as he looked worriedly around him, before quickly walking away with his head down.

“What did he want?” Dale asked as he slipped his arm around my waist as we gathered our family to leave.

“He wanted to apologise it seems,” I answered, then proceeded to tell him of the weird conversation I had just had.

“Do you think he was warning us?”

“He could’ve been, I’m just not sure.” I told him. “When he said that, it was as if he had recognised me from somewhere.”

“Do you think we could have met them before, and just not remembered?”

“I think we would have remembered them, especially if his crazy wife was there. She is kinda memorable. For all the wrong reasons” I laughed.

Thank you for reading Chapter 16 :D hope you all enjoyed it.
 
 
FDudney
  • Like 25
  • Love 8
  • Sad 7
  • Angry 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That was exactly where I went with that cryptic comment.  He seemed to specifically seek out Hunter to make his comments.  How did he get away from the witch long enough to do so?  She’ll be out for him if she finds out, I think. 

 I also thought that maybe he was apologizing for the next steps in her campaign of terror.  Like I said in the last chapter, they haven’t been to a school board meeting yet.  I can fully see her there with her (unsuspecting) goon squad demanding his departure and prosecution for imagined transgressions.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

crystal ball cmt GIF by The Ed Bassmaster Show

Trouble!

a bigoted toad of a bitch

shenanigans

and un-christian-like characteristics preformed by hypocrites 

  • Haha 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

I had the same thought when I commented upon the previous chapter @weinerdog. In praising @FrankD, I wrote "I have to wonder what further surprises you have up your sleeve for your readers - maybe a reappearance by Mayson, perhaps he is somehow related to the odious Harriet Dunspur or Meredith Priestly". I seem to recall reference to Mayson's family wanting nothing to do with him, and if Meredith is his mother or a close female relative, it could explain his homophobic attitude. The only flaw in this speculation is that if Meredith is his mother then surely Hunter at least would have recognised the same family name (I don't recall Mayson's family name ever being mentioned, although I guess he could have changed his family name). There was also mention by Albert that Meredith's son is gay and estranged, although this may be purely coincidental.

A very sad chapter with the confirmation of Oliver's murder and the disclosure of the circumstances which led to it. I can only but imagine the sadness Ruth and Ian must be feeling, and the guilt that Ruth in particular must be feeling for having judged her father unfairly. 

A very intriguing chapter @FrankD.

Thank you ^_^

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I feel sorry that Ruth and Ian had to lose their father Oliver, only to find out the reason he lost touch with them and that he was murdered. Ruth is finding some solace in his journal.

I am angry at the :devil: Priestly's, acting all 'holier than thou, showing up at Oliver's funeral, the only chance his children have to say goodbye. But typical of the born-again alt reich, as they goose-step across other people's rights.

Dale and Hunter need to be even more vigilant, for themselves and all four children. 👨‍👨‍👧‍👦 👨‍👨‍👧‍👦 

🙏 for 🇺🇦

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

The story moves along, following a road full of twists and turns. What's coming next? It's sure keeping me interested.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I'm thinking Mrs. Priestly is really up to something really bad that may possibly very dangerous to the children ( Ian & Ruth). I'm thinking somebody needs to do an investigation into the Priestly's.

Edited by James B.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, frosenblum said:

The story moves along, following a road full of twists and turns. What's coming next? It's sure keeping me interested.

Hopefully not too twisty amd turny that it throws people off 😛

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..