Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 9,639 Words
  • 3,831 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leopard Spots - 28. Chapter 28

Friday 2nd May, 2014

“Shit! He’ll be going out of his mind,” Neil said as he reviewed his emails. It was just after four on Friday afternoon.

Oliver glanced over to where Neil had set up his laptop on the kitchen table. “Who’s going crazy?”

“Alf,” Neil said, his concentration on the screen in front of him. “I was supposed to chat with him last night, but I wasn’t around. He sent me a few emails, trying to get hold of me. I need to let him know I’m okay.”

Oliver grinned as he continued unloading the dishwasher. “Sounds like you’ve got another friend. Who is he?”

“A guy from school. He came out to me Wednesday night, and then I didn’t chat with him on Thursday. He’s going to think I’ve stopped talking to him just after he told me he’s gay.” Neil grimaced. “I need to make sure he understands that that had nothing to do with it.”

Oliver thought for a moment and then nodded. “Ah...gotcha. You mentioned him last night.” He frowned. “I thought his name was Liam?”

Neil looked up and shuddered. “No fucking way! Liam’s the bully who happens to be gay. He’s nothing like Alf.” He paused, staring vacantly into the distance. He then shook his head and returned his attention to his laptop. “Liam’s changing and becoming nicer, but I don’t trust him. Alf, I think I can learn to trust.”

“Boyfriend potential?”

“I hope so, but I don’t know who he really is, what he looks like, or whether he likes me in that way. He likes me, but it might be just as a friend. He doesn’t know I’m gay.”

“Are you going to tell him?”

Neil made a face. “Eventually, but not now. There’s too many things going on. I don’t want my life to become even more complicated – not just yet.”

* * *

Doug, Liam, and Clarissa had just left Neil’s home. After Mrs. Rosewood’s shocking statement that Neil was no longer at home, the trio had muttered a few platitudes and then backed out.

“She said he was gone, and she didn’t know if he’d be back. That means he’s run away,” Liam said.

“It could also mean he’s been arrested.” Doug held up his hands at Liam’s glare in response. “Hey, I’m just saying.”

“Why would he be arrested?” Clarissa asked.

“Public display of patheticism? A new anti-loser law?” Doug danced back when Liam swung a fist in his direction.

Stop saying that!” Liam took another swing, this time blocked by Doug.

“Mate, I’m sorry! I was trying to be funny.” Doug watched warily as Liam glared and then turned away. “I’m sorry, Liam, I really am. I know you’ve got feelings for him – don’t ask me why, because I haven’t any fucking idea – but I can’t change what I think about him.”

Clarissa stared angrily at Doug and then put a hand on Liam’s arm. “Twenty bucks if you give him a black eye.”

Liam glanced at her and then glared at Doug. Doug took a quick step backwards, which made Liam’s lips twitch into a smile. “While it’s tempting, Clarissa, I won’t do that to Doug. Despite his opinions on Neil, he has been helping me.”

“I’ll pay forty for a broken nose.”

“Stay out of this, bitch!” Doug glared at her, receiving a raised finger in return.

“Please...” Liam grimaced as he kicked a stone on the footpath. “Can you two cut it out and help me work out where Neil might’ve gone?”

“I think that’s obvious,” Doug said. “He’s gone to the Leopards.”

Liam’s head snapped around. He grinned. “You’re brilliant!” He pulled out his phone. “I’ll send Jim a text and ask him if he’s heard from Neil.”

“Who?” Clarissa asked.

“Jim Henderson,” Doug said while watching Liam. “The Leopards’ openly gay player.”

“How the fuck did you get his phone number? Wasn’t he on TV a while ago?”

“That’s the one. He seemed a nice-enough guy when we met him, though Liam spent more time with him than I did. That’s when Liam got his phone number. I got to spend time with the boyfriend as a consolation prize.”

“The what?” Clarissa glanced at Liam and then back at Doug. “When was this?”

“During the holidays,” Liam said, still typing. “The same day we met Neil working at the sports store that Jim also worked at.” He looked up and smiled. “Text sent.” The smile faded. “I hope he’s heard something.”

“We could also try to get hold of Tony. The club will know how to contact him...” Doug didn’t appear too keen.

“Who’s Tony?” Clarissa asked. “I’m getting lost here, guys. If you want me to help with Neil – and I want to – then I need a bit more information.”

“Tony’s Jim’s boyfriend.” Liam cocked his head as he thought. “Let’s wait until we see if Jim replies. I can’t see that Tony would know anything that Jim doesn’t.”

“What are we going to do now?” Doug waved a hand at the suburban street around them. “We can’t just stay here until we hear something.”

“Back to my place?” Liam gave Clarissa a half-smile. “You can come, too, if you like.”

Clarissa pursed her lips and then nodded as she slipped her phone out of a pocket. “I just need to let my mum know I’m going to be late.”

The three strolled towards Liam’s house at a much slower pace than Liam had set on the way to Neil’s. They were almost there when Liam’s phone beeped. He stopped, pulled it out, and grinned. “It’s him!”

“What did Jim say?” Clarissa asked.

Liam, not concentrating, started to correct her as he scanned the email he’d received. “It’s not Jim. It’s...” He stopped as he realised what he was about to say. He then read something that swept aside his immediate concerns. “The bastard! Neil’s father hit him; that’s why he ran.”

“What the fuck?” Clarissa glared back in the direction of Neil’s home before turning to Liam. “Is Neil alright?”

“He says he’s safe.” Liam swallowed as he heard the words come out of his mouth. He hoped Clarissa misinterpreted the pronouns. “Neil’s staying with some of the Leopards, but he should be back at school sometime next week. He hopes that’ll be Monday.” Liam painted a smile on his face – not difficult because he was relieved that Neil was okay – but he knew he needed to divert Clarissa from his slip.

“Who sent you the message, and how do they know so much?”

Liam froze, his smile slipping away. He had thought that giving her the content of the email would distract her, but it hadn’t worked and may have made his situation worse. He looked at his best friend and bit his lower lip.

Doug made a face. “Clarissa, it’s private, okay? You don’t need to know the details. Just be happy that it sounds like Neil’s okay.”

“You expect me to accept that?” She pulled out her phone and started typing. “I’m going to tell Neil you’ve heard what’s happened, and I’m checking to make sure he’s fine.”

Liam snatched the phone out of her hand. “No!”

She narrowed her eyes. “Give me that back.”

“Please don’t tell Neil. He...” Liam glanced at Doug who grimaced and shrugged his shoulders. Liam sighed. “He’s got a new friend. I told you about him: the person Neil was supposed to have contacted last night but didn’t. Neil doesn’t know that his new friend and I know each other. Neil sent his friend an email, and the friend’s passed on the details. That’s what’s going on, but please don’t tell Neil. He doesn’t need to know that his friend is also friends with me.” He paused and met Clarissa’s steely gaze. “Just like he doesn’t need to know that you and I are working together to help him. He doesn’t trust me – I understand that – but there’s no reason he shouldn’t trust you or Alf. Telling him will risk that. Please...?” He held out her phone as a peace offering.

Clarissa frowned as she accepted it back. “Alf? Who’s Alf?”

“Neil’s new friend, and that’s all I can say. I know you’ve got no reason to, but please trust me?”

Clarissa stared for a moment longer and then shook her head as she put her phone away. “I don’t know why, but...okay.” She glared at Liam. “Now, what the fuck was that about Neil being hit?”

* * *

Jim paused and frowned after getting out of his car. “What are they doing here?” He was with Ty, and they had just arrived for training. The object of his concern was a television cameraman, soundman, and reporter. It appeared that they had stopped Roger as he was about to use the players entrance to the change room.

“We’re about to find out,” Ty said. “They’ve noticed us.”

The female reporter was headed in their direction, followed by her two associates.

“Behave yourself, brat. We don’t want to get the club into trouble.” Jim hoped it was only a coincidence, but he knew in his heart it had something to do with Neil. He had sent Liam a text earlier, reassuring him that Neil was okay but that he wasn’t able to give any details. He suspected that the media’s presence was also related to Neil’s troubles.

Ty snorted. “You watch yourself, Dad. No flirting with the nice girl; Tony wouldn’t approve.”

Jim chuckled, but quickly schooled his expression back into one of vague politeness.

The soundman held his boom microphone towards Jim and Ty, while the woman stepped forward. “Jim Henderson, what can you tell me about the allegation that you’ve corrupted an under-aged child?”

“What the...?” Jim scowled at the allegation and decided to try to bluff it out. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. Who said that?”

“Do you deny it, then?”

“I haven’t corrupted anyone, but if you won’t tell me what the hell...” Jim made himself stop and calm down. “Who am I supposed to have corrupted?” If this wasn’t about Neil, Jim didn’t want to mention him to the reporter.

Before she could answer, Ty stepped forward, a scowl on his face as he loomed over the woman. “Dad is one of the best people I know. Probably the best. The idea that he’s hurt someone, especially a kid, is fucking ridiculous! Get the hell out of here before I throw you out!”

“Brat!” Jim glared at Ty. “Stay out of it.”

The reporter had taken a half-step backwards, but then her expression firmed as she fixed her attention on Jim.

“So, there is something going on that your teammate doesn’t know about. How do you feel about ruining a family, taking a couple’s only child away from them?”

Ty’s eyes went wide and then narrowed. “Neil. You’re talking about Neil, aren’t you?”

She turned her attention to him. “You know him? What part did you play in stealing the Rosewood’s son?”

“Brat, stay out of this!” Jim scowled up at the boom mike before turning back to Ty. “Go inside and start getting ready. I’ll deal with this.”

Ty ignored him and spoke directly to the reporter. “Neil’s a friend of mine. After his father attacked him, he fled for his own safety. He’s afraid he’ll be hurt even worse if he goes back home. I don’t know what fucking lies his parents have told you, but they’re the villains here. Dad’s got nothing to do with this. Todd and I are the ones who’ve been helping Neil, not him.” He took a step forward. “Now, get the hell out of here!”

The trio backed off, though only a few steps. The camera was still pointed in their direction, and the boom mike was still held high. Ty turned to Jim. “Let’s go.”

Jim kept his mouth shut until they were inside the building. “My apologies, brat. You handled that well. Thanks.”

Ty grimaced. “I shouldn’t have lost my temper, but when I realised what Neil’s parents had done, I...” He shook his head.

“You didn’t hit them, and you kept yourself under control. I think you did great.” Jim scowled at the door they’d just come through. “Fucking bastards.”

Ty pulled out his phone. “I’d better let Neil and Todd know before they show up. I don’t want them walking into an ambush.”

“We’re informing Todd and the rest of the players now,” Peter said as he approached. “Good call on Neil, though. Roger’s talking to Colin. He’ll prepare a statement while we’re training and then run it past Neil.” He grimaced. “I’m assuming the reporter will still be out there when we’re done. They’ll probably be watching training, too. Hopefully, they won’t interfere.”

Most of the players trickled in over the next fifteen minutes and started to get ready. A couple of them approached Jim to ask what was going on. Ty explained, Zach interjecting with the details of that morning’s confrontation in the boardroom, and they joined the rest of the team in muttering about both the media and Neil’s parents. All of the players had favourable impressions of the young man from the previous weekend’s trip to Bendigo.

“Okay, everyone. Out on the oval and get warmed up. We’re about to start.” Peter scowled generally around the room. “You need to concentrate. Ignore the TV camera and ignore any comments or questions. Focus on what Will, Julie, and I are telling you, and work hard.”

“Todd and Neil aren’t here yet.” Ty frowned at the door from the car park before glancing back at Peter. “Shouldn’t someone stay here just in case they need help?”

Peter gave Ty a sardonic smile. “If that’s your way of getting out of the start of training, this is not your lucky day. You can start by running laps.” He grinned reassuringly. “Todd, Paul, and Ollie will be here soon. They’re dropping Neil off on the far side of the ground. Neil will make his way cautiously around the oval and, when he gets a chance, will slip inside. Colin, Anne, and Tony will look after him while they work out the next steps.” Peter raised an eyebrow. “Any more questions? You’re currently up to two laps. Do you want to try for four?”

Most of the team chuckled, but Ty stared impassively back at his head coach. “I’ll go for eight if it guarantees he stays safe.”

Peter acknowledged Ty’s comment with a nod. He tilted his head towards the exit that led to the football oval. “Get going, brat. We’ll make sure he’s okay.”

* * *

Colin and Tony looked up as the door to Colin’s office was flung open.

“What the fuck is going on?” Eric Blackman, president of the Lilydale Leopards Football Club, demanded as he stormed into the room.

“I presume you’re talking about the reporter outside.” Colin waved a hand towards the remaining spare chair. “Have a seat. Tony and I were just reviewing our options.”

“Options? When there’s TV cameras outside and a reporter who’s claiming that one of our players has raped a kid? Why the fuck are we talking about options?” Eric ignored the chair, placed both hands on Colin’s desk, and leant forward. “We need to get this sorted out as quickly as possible!”

Colin stared back up. “It’s one camera, and the reporter is effectively saying that Neil’s been brainwashed, not raped.” He held up a hand when Eric opened his mouth. “We agree that something needs to be done ASAP. The key is to inform the reporter of the facts, not the garbled account they currently have. Tony and I are preparing a statement that covers those facts as clearly and succinctly as possible.”

Eric glared for a moment and then collapsed into the vacant chair. “The club can’t afford a scandal. If another major sponsor pulls out, we’ll end up back in financial trouble again.” He sighed and dropped his head. “The gay community won’t help us out again, not if we’ve been portrayed as a club that’s seducing young kids.”

“It won’t come to that,” Tony said, “but if we get the truth out, yes, the gay community will help us again if we need it. Neil’s here because he’s gay, and the club is giving him the support he needs. The community will recognise that, I’m sure of it.”

Eric looked up at Tony and then Colin. “When’s the kid getting in front of the camera, and who’s going to be with him?”

Colin shook his head. “Neil’s not going to face the reporter. We’ve already asked, and he doesn’t want to do it.”

Eric slammed a hand onto the desktop. “Want? Want? It’s got nothing to do with what he wants. We need him! He has to set the story straight.”

Colin glared back. “For fuck’s sake, Eric, he’s still a boy. He’s not even eighteen yet! I’m not going to put him in front of a camera unless he wants to and is able to cope. At the moment, neither is true.”

“The club’s at stake here, Colin! We need this nipped in the bud as quickly as possible.”

“And that’s what we were working on when you barged in.” Colin took a deep breath and forced the scowl from his face. “We’re going to give the reporter a statement with all the relevant facts, and then we’re going to allow her to interview some of the players, but we won’t know who until we get a chance to speak to them after training. At the moment, based on what Tony’s told me, it’ll be one or more of Todd, Paul, Jim, and Ty. Roger’s another option, but Tony doesn’t think he’s across what’s been going on.”

Eric frowned for a few moments. “I don’t want Ty speaking to her. He’s likely to say something inappropriate.” He leant forward to emphasise his words. “We can’t afford for this to go wrong.”

Colin shrugged. “I agree, but Ty’s been in on this from almost the start, from what Tony’s told me. He’s also got the looks and personality that comes over well on TV. If he says the right things, it could make all the difference.” He grimaced. “Yes, it’s a risk, but we’ll make sure he knows that he has to be on his best behaviour. I believe he’ll say the right things.”

“Unless his comments are edited to make him look like a fool.” Eric grimaced as he stood up. “Then again, they could do that with anyone. Keep me informed. If I need to placate someone, let me know. I’ll be at my desk.”

Tony and Colin stayed silent until Eric had left the room. “He’s stressed,” Tony said. “More than I would’ve expected. He acted like I wasn’t even in the room.”

Colin snorted. “He still hasn’t completely recovered from the shock when the club almost folded. Last year, he wouldn’t’ve been anywhere near that abrupt if something like this had happened.” He shook his head. “He’s right that this would work a lot better if Neil would speak to the reporter, but we have to work with what we’ve got, not with what we’d like.” He gave Tony a wry smile. “Back to work. Any more changes you recommend to the statement?”

Tony shook his head. “I think it’s about right, but I’d like to run it past Neil before we release it. It’s his life we’re taking about. He needs to be comfortable with what’s being said.”

Colin nodded. “I had intended to do so. I just wanted to make sure you were happy first.” He picked up his phone. “I’ll get Anne to bring him around.”

* * *

Neil glanced at Deon while they waited in the airport lounge for the flight from Sydney to start disembarking passengers. “I’m still not sure what I’m doing here, but at least it’s a long way away from that TV camera.”

After training, Deon had offered to take Neil with him when he went to pick up his father from the airport. The television reporter had still been outside, and Neil didn’t want to encounter her. Todd, Paul, Ty, and Jim had all agreed to be interviewed, but Neil had refused. Taking Neil to the airport would fill in enough time that they had hoped she would be gone by the time they returned.

Unfortunately, the plan hadn’t worked. During his interview, Todd had let it slip that Neil was living with him, and the reporter had followed him home. He had sent Neil a text message to let him know and to suggest that it might be a good idea if he stayed elsewhere for the night. Another text message arrived as Neil and Deon neared the airport, this time from Ty, to say that a second reporter was waiting at their place. They were gaining the impression that the situation with Neil might be bigger news than they had expected – or wanted.

Deon chuckled. “True, and that’s part of it. However, I also wanted to introduce you to Marcus and my dad. Not quite the way I had intended to do it, but...” He shrugged.

“I never intended to go home, anyway, but now that they’ve lied to the media about Jim...” Neil scowled. “They’re bastards. Absolute bloody bastards.”

“Mate, calm down.” Deon put a hand on Neil’s shoulder and used a gentle pressure to make the shorter guy turn to face him. “Do you know that what you’re saying is pretty much how I felt when my dad walked out on my mum? It’s taken me years to get over that hatred, and I’m still not completely there. I’ve had enough people, including my mum, tell me that I’m holding a grudge without good reason. I’m trying my best to get past it, but I’m fighting a habit of years.”

“What are you trying to tell me?”

Deon gave him a soft smile. “Don’t hate your parents. If they really are bastards, just move on and put them in your past. Don’t let that anger ferment; let it go.”

Neil scowled. “Did your father ever hit you? Do you really expect me to forgive and forget?”

“No, to both. But you don’t have to harbour a grudge, either. Someday, you might want to be able to look them in the eye without hating them.” Deon sighed as the first of the passengers started to disembark. “I’m still learning to do that again myself.”

Neil’s phone beeped. He checked the text message and grimaced. “Todd says the reporter’s still hanging around outside. Roger said I can stay with him tonight.”

Deon nodded. “That’s fine, but I’ve got another idea.”

“What?”

Deon ignored Neil as he stepped forward to greet his father and Marcus who had just left the air-bridge. “Dad, Marcus, it’s good to see you again.” Deon smiled as he shook their hands.

“It’s good to see you, too, Deon.” Sam glanced around. “Pamela’s not with you?”

Deon grimaced. “No. She and I...” He shook his head. He wasn’t ready to talk about his relationship issues. “I’d like to introduce you to Neil.” Deon smiled over his shoulder and beckoned. “Neil, I’d like you to meet my father and Marcus. Guys, this is Neil. He’s the one I told you about earlier in the week.”

Neil frowned at Deon and then smiled cautiously at the two older gentlemen.

“G’day, Neil. I’m Sam.” Deon’s father smiled as he stuck out a hand.

“Hello, sir.” Neil glanced at Deon before turning back to Sam. “Why was Deon telling you about me?”

Deon, standing slightly behind Neil, quickly shook his head to indicate that he didn’t want his father to answer the question. He hoped Neil didn’t spot the signal. “It was after Ty filled in everyone on the bus about your situation. I told them because I thought they might appreciate what you’ve been going through.” He pulled a face as he looked at Sam. “It’s gotten worse since I spoke to you, Dad. Neil’s father hit him yesterday, so Neil’s moved in with Todd, Paul, and Ollie. However, his parents have told the media that Neil’s been ‛corrupted’,” Deon emphasised the word with a scowl, “and they’re staking out both Todd’s and our homes, looking for Neil. I was thinking it might be a good idea if he stayed with you guys tonight.”

“What?” Neil flicked his gaze at Sam and Marcus before turning his attention to Deon. “Roger said I could stay with him.”

Deon smiled. “It’ll hopefully only be for one night, but if the media can’t find you, they might give up. There’s no way they’ll find you if you stay with my dad and Marcus, but they might catch you at Roger’s. If they really are making this into a big deal, they might have someone staking out his place. They know he’s the team’s captain.”

“Then maybe Peter or Anne or even Julie. Someone will be able to put me up...” Neil suddenly looked frightened. “...won’t they?”

Deon put a hand on Neil’s shoulder, trying to pass on some reassurance. “They can’t have reporters everywhere, but there could be one at any of those places. There’s no chance at all that they’ll have someone at Dad’s hotel. It’ll be safe, with no risks.”

When Deon turned his attention back to his father, he found him holding a whispered conversation with Marcus. After a moment, Sam smiled at Neil. “If you’re happy sharing a hotel room with two old guys, then that’s fine with us.”

Neil glanced at Deon and then down at the tiled floor of the airport. A shudder ran through his body, and then he looked up. “Okay.” He gave Sam and Marcus a weak, tentative smile. “I really appreciate this.”

Marcus took a step forward, his arms starting to rise as if to give Neil a hug, but then dropping back by his side. “We’ll do what we can, Neil. I understand what it’s like to be homeless at your age. It happened to me, too.”

Neil was staring, wide-eyed, while Deon frowned. He hadn’t known that about Marcus. Deon took in the expression of hope and fear on Neil’s face and then at the sympathy on display on Marcus’s. He glanced at Sam and received a smile and nod in return.

“Okay, let’s get your luggage and get out of here.” Deon tried to inject a degree of positiveness in his voice as he said it. “The trip back will give you three a chance to get to know each other.”

Neil’s head snapped around. “What about the game? I’m supposed to be one of the runners. Does this mean I can’t go to the match?”

Deon smiled. “Let’s worry about that tomorrow. One thing at a time, Neil.” He looked past Neil to Sam as he realised that statement applied to himself, too. “One thing at a time.”

* * *

Liam frowned at his computer. It was the second night in a row that Neil hadn’t signed in to chat with Alf. This time Liam didn’t panic, though he was still concerned. He realised it was possible that Neil was in a new place where he mightn’t be able to go online late at night. Since Neil had responded to the emails the previous night, Liam was hopeful that Neil would let him know what was going on, even if they couldn’t chat via instant messenger.

Still, Liam decided to do some investigation...just in case. After sending Neil one more email from Alf, he followed up with an email from his normal account to Clarissa. He was unable to make it to the Leopards game the next day, but she might. All he wanted her to do was to make sure that Neil was okay.

* * *

Peter glanced around the change room at the assembled players. “I want you to ignore the media. I want you to ignore all the other things going on. When you cross that boundary line out there, you’re here for one thing and one thing only: to play football. Everything else gets left behind. Focus on the game and your opponent. Footscray may not have had a good start to the season, but over half their team are AFL-listed Bulldog players. They’re not to be taken lightly.”

It was the AFL’s Western Bulldogs Football Club’s first year to field a standalone VFL team after years of being affiliated with VFL clubs. It had not gone unnoticed that two of the most successful AFL clubs in recent years, Geelong and Collingwood, had standalone VFL teams owned by them. The Box Hill Hawks had close to the same ties to the AFL’s Hawthorn Football Club. The Western Bulldogs and Richmond had followed suit, withdrawing their previous affiliations and fielding standalone VFL teams, instead, allowing them greater control in player development. When the Western Bulldogs did so, they chose to use the original name of their club, Footscray, for their VFL team.

“As we discussed last night, making sure our back line is tight from the start of the game is critical. We can’t allow them to gain any momentum. Todd, Paul, Brat, Wade,” Peter nodded towards the four, “keep that defence solid.” He turned to the next group. “Midfielders, as always, you’re the key to our success. Keep disrupting the lines of attack from the opposition and keep feeding the ball to our forwards.” Peter smiled. “In other words, keep doing what you’re good at.”

As the midfielders grinned at the compliment, Ty raised his voice. “Your job is to make sure we defenders are bored. If I have to run too much, I’m not going to be happy.”

Peter let the chuckles persist for a couple of seconds before he raised a hand. There was immediate silence. “Don’t worry about the brat. If he gets bored, I’ll shift him somewhere else.” The laughs and playful jeers didn’t last long as the players quickly returned their concentration to their coach. “Roger, Deon, there are some tough guys out there. You’re going to need all your muscle to hold them off as the ball comes in your direction. Ollie, you’re there to pick up that loose ball. Get in there quick and get it out again as fast as you can.”

Peter continued to hand out detailed instructions until it was time for the players to take the field. He noted with approval how, as they moved out of the room, all the players either said something or visually showed their support for the young runner standing by the exit. Peter followed the last of the players, pausing as he reached Neil. “Stay at the bench or with the players. The reporters know better than to interfere with the match, but just in case, we’ve hired a couple of security guards.”

Neil nodded. “Anne told me when we arrived.” He grimaced. “If I become a distraction, you’ll tell me, won’t you? I want to be here to help the team, but I don’t want to cause problems, either.”

Peter smiled. “You’re encouraging them, Neil, just by being here. They all know now what you’re going through, and by showing up and asking to be a runner, you’re telling them that they’re still important to you. They won’t want to let you down.”

Neil swallowed and then nodded. “Thanks, Peter.”

Peter waved a hand to indicate Neil should go first. “After you. I’ll be right behind you.”

Peter noticed how Neil stiffened his spine as he jogged through the door and out onto the oval. If attitude was all that required for success, Neil would have a great life ahead of him. Sadly, Peter knew that attitude, while critical, wasn’t enough.

* * *

Despite what she had been told by Liam and Doug, Clarissa still felt a small sense of shock as she saw Neil following the players onto the ground. It was one thing to be told, another to see it for herself.

From her position in the grandstand she also noticed how the one television camera near the players’ entrance had focused on Neil as he went past and how the female reporter stuck a microphone in Neil’s face as he jogged past, not stopping or speaking. She didn’t know what to make of it, but Neil’s body language told Clarissa that it was unlikely to be good news. She moved closer to the front of the grandstand so she could get a better view of Neil and what he was doing.

She pushed her way through a group of Leopards supporters who were waving to the players. She smiled as she overheard one young teenager boasting about how his brother was going to kick lots of goals. A couple of girls around her age were talking about their boyfriends on the team.

Down on the oval, the reporter, followed by the cameraman, had marched onto the playing field, clearly heading to where Neil was standing with some of the other support staff, only to be intercepted by two security guards. Clarissa frowned, wondering what was going on when she heard something nearby that made her head snap around.

“...Neil doesn’t...”

Clarissa edged over to the couple of middle-aged men that seemed to be where that snippet had come from.

“....bitch. Why can’t she just leave Neil alone?”

Clarissa surreptitiously eyed the man who had spoken. He was glaring down at the reporter who had turned to face the camera and was saying something while the players warmed up in the background.

“It’s okay, Marcus. He ignored her, and from the glare she got from all the coaches, she’s not going to be allowed near him again.”

Clarissa turned away, but her focus remained on eavesdropping on their conversation.

Marcus sighed. “The poor guy. He’s certainly had life tough. At least when I was kicked out of home, I had a few friends. Between his home and school life, he’s had no one.”

“He’s got the Leopards.” The two turned and headed towards some spare seats. Clarissa manoeuvred so she stayed nearby without obviously following them.

“Yeah, but that’s new. Up until recently, he’s been alone.” There was a short pause. “Did you hear him in the middle of the night, Sam?”

“Yeah, I did.” The tone was depressed. “I felt like getting up and giving him a hug, but I didn’t know how he’d take it. I thought it was best to pretend to be asleep.”

“I thought the same. He’s putting on a brave face, but I think it was almost two before he stopped crying and finally fell asleep.”

Clarissa was confused. She didn’t know who the two guys were, but she’d heard enough to know that Neil had stayed the night with them. She was hoping to learn more, but the conversation ended with one of the guys disappearing to get some drinks. The other headed to one of the seats. Clarissa quietly followed, taking a spot just in front of him.

“Sam! Where’s your better half?”

Clarissa glanced across to see a balding muscular man who she guessed was around forty, along with a slightly overweight guy with a shoulder-length black ponytail of a similar age. Both were wearing Leopards-supporter jackets.

“G’day, Matt, Gary. He’s gone to get a couple of beers.” Sam chuckled. “If you move fast, you can probably catch up and place your own order.”

“Gary, you’ve got a job to do.” Matt waved a hand to dismiss the other guy only to receive a clip over the back of the head in return. “Hey!”

“It’s your turn. You can help Marcus carry the drinks while I catch up with Sam.”

Matt tossed his head as if he was flicking some non-existent hair out of his eyes. “Fine!” He then grinned and, to Clarissa’s surprise, gave Gary a quick kiss. “I’ll be back soon.”

Gary settled in the seat immediately behind Clarissa. “Mandy and the kids aren’t here today?”

“They’ll be along soon. There was a change of plans last night. Deon asked us to take in a kid who’s homeless. He was going to be staying with Todd, but there’s some reporters snooping around, and Deon thought it was best he stayed with someone the media won’t know.”

“Ouch. What happened, and where is he now?”

“You can probably get the full story from him later, since he’s down there with the team, but in short, his father hit him because he’s friends with Jim. Neil wasn’t going to wait to find out what would happen when his father found out he’s gay, so he ran away.”

Clarissa couldn’t stifle a gasp or stop herself from looking over her shoulder. When both guys glanced at her, she stood up and moved away. While she wanted to hear more, she didn’t want to be questioned about her eavesdropping.

Once she was out of their sight, she pulled out her phone. She knew that Liam would be playing his own game of football in the local, Ringwood junior competition, but she sent him a text anyway. She wanted to find out how long he’d known that Neil’s gay, though that would be after she had ripped into him for keeping it a secret. In the meantime, she needed to decide if she was going to help him in his quest to gain Neil as a boyfriend.

She glanced back down at the oval and chuckled at herself. She had wanted to get to know Neil, and she shouldn’t have been surprised to find he was a lot more complex than he appeared on the surface.

* * *

“Fuck!” Peter slammed a fist into the wall next to him. “Runner!”

Neil jumped up, moved next to Peter, and waited.

“Tell Paul he’s to shut down Number 8. I don’t want him getting another goal. Tell Todd he’s to take Number 24. Go!”

As Neil ran off, Peter scowled at the scoreboard. The game had only been going for twelve minutes and Footscray already had three goals and a behind. The Leopards were yet to score.

Peter watched as the umpire prepared for the centre bounce to restart play after the latest Bulldog goal. “Come on, Zach. We need you to win this one.” He held his breath as Zach slammed into the opposing ruckman as they both went for the ball. Both missed and football was immediately grabbed by one of the smaller Footscray players. “Fuck, not again!”

The ball was quickly moved down the ground towards the Footscray goal posts. This time, Paul spoilt the attempted mark by the Bulldog’s key forward, and the loose ball was snatched up by Ty. A handball to Todd and then back again gave Ty the space to sprint down the right hand side of the oval. He dodged one opponent and then kicked the ball to Jim just before being tackled by another.

Jim didn’t wait. He immediately played on, running towards the forward line. Spotting Owen breaking away from his opponent, Jim kicked a flat stab pass, which was marked cleanly by his teammate. Owen paused for a moment, and then, without a run-up, kicked the ball to Deon who was about thirty metres out from the goals and almost directly in front.

“We need this one, Deon,” Peter muttered while scanning the ground to make sure everyone else was maintaining their defence.

A minute later, Peter slammed his fist into the wall again. “Damn!” He glared at Will. “He needs to improve his accuracy. I don’t care what you have to do, but we can’t afford for him to keep missing set shots like that!”

“Julie thinks she’s worked out the problem, but it’s going to take time. He’s got to change some bad habits that are affecting his aim, and that won’t be quick.” Will shrugged. “He’s dedicated, though. He’s been out every night, to the best of my knowledge, working on the exercises that she’s given him.”

Peter glanced past him to Julie. “Will they work?”

“I think so. Deon told me last night that he can start to feel the difference, and he’s regaining some of his confidence. That should be enough to carry him through the short term until he’s got his style corrected. He gets worse the more frustrated he gets.”

Peter returned his attention to the game. The kick-in after Deon’s lesser, behind score had progressed as far as the midfield to be stopped by a sharp tackle from Jim. “Yes!” Peter immediately scanned the ground to see what opportunities were present.

The ball was passed to Jarrod in the middle who went for a long, high kick towards Roger, Deon, and three Bulldog defenders. All five were running to where it would land. The resulting collision resulted in no one marking the ball, but Deon had managed to gain the front position and the umpires awarded him a free kick for being pushed in the back by one of the Footscray players.

Peter stared at the scene for a moment and then yelled. “Jackie!”

“Onto it,” Jacqueline yelled over her shoulder as she raced onto the ground to where Roger was still lying on the ground.

Deon’s goal, while welcome, didn’t give Peter a lot of relief. He watched as Jackie and Oliver helped Roger limp off the field. “Ward, you’re on for Roger. Tell Ty to get the hell down the ground to the forward line while you take his place on the back line.”

A few minutes later, Peter had been informed that Roger had done his ankle again, but this time it was likely he would be out for several weeks. The Leopards had just lost their most reliable goalkicker.

* * *

Clarissa grimaced as she glanced at the half-time score. Footscray were up by just over three goals. The Leopards had been fighting hard but had been unable to peg back that gap. She didn’t know any of the players, but for Neil’s sake she wanted them to win.

She had been sitting by herself, though she’d been approached by a couple of guys during the first half. When the players and Neil disappeared into the change room for the half-time break, she decided to mingle and see if she could learn anything more about what was going on with Neil.

She’d been eavesdropping for five minutes when everyone’s attention was drawn to an altercation in front of the player’s entrance. Two security guards were restraining a thickset man in his forties while the television camera filmed the event.

A couple of minutes later, with various expletives still drifting up to where Clarissa could hear them, the man was released. He stormed off, pausing only once to turn and raise his fist at the guards and shout some more curses. Moments later, he left the football ground.

“...Neil’s father.”

Clarissa turned to look at the young woman who had spoken. She was talking with two other girls of a similar age. Clarissa edged closer, while trying to avoid making it obvious she was trying to listen in on the conversation.

“He’s the one who hit Neil?” a voluptuous girl of Mediterranean appearance asked.

“Yeah, that’s him.” The first girl shuddered. “Ty told me what he’d done. My brother might have some serious differences of opinions with my dad at times, but there’s never even been a hint of violence. I know it happens, but I’m having trouble understanding it.”

The second girl grimaced. “Todd showed me the photos he took on Thursday night. One side of Neil’s face was a very painful-looking red.”

“What’s going to happen next?” the third girl asked.

“I don’t know, Stacey. I wish I did, but I just don’t know.” The first girl glanced at the second. “Did Ollie or Todd say anything, Helena?”

She shook her head. “With the media camped outside the house, Neil stayed somewhere else last night. I don’t know where, but Ollie told me that Deon organised it.”

“Isn’t Ty one of Deon’s housemates? Did he tell you where Neil was, Karen?” Stacey asked.

“No. Deon told him it was better if not many people knew, but it was somewhere the media wouldn’t find him.”

Clarissa made an instant decision. “He stayed with a couple of older guys called Sam and Marcus. Do you know them?” When three pairs of eyes turned on her, she gave them a sheepish smile. “Sorry, but I couldn’t help listening in. I’m Clarissa, a friend of Neil’s from school.”

Karen smiled as she introduced herself and the other two. “Ty’s told me you’ve been helping Neil out. Something about stopping some bullying...?”

Clarissa chuckled. “Yeah. Blackmail works wonders if used at the right time.” She sighed as the momentary light-heartedness faded. “I used to date one of the guys who’s been bullying him, and I have a video my ex doesn’t want made public. I’m sorry I didn’t do something earlier.”

She found herself being hugged by Helena. “You’re helping now. That’s all that’s important.” Helena stepped back and gave Clarissa a faint frown. “Those bullies haven’t been saying anything about Neil recently, have they? Because if they have...”

“What sort of things?” Karen asked.

Helena glanced at Clarissa before dropping her gaze. “Personal stuff. Things that Neil probably doesn’t want anyone at school to know.”

“You mean...” Karen’s eyes flicked to Clarissa as her voice petered out.

Helena nodded. “I didn’t know who they were at first.” She grimaced and then looked at Clarissa, a question on her face.

Clarissa frowned and then her eyes widened. “That’s how he found out!”

“Who?” Stacey asked.

“Liam.” Clarissa narrowed her eyes at Helena. “Medium height, brown hair that’s always untidy, toned body, muscular arms...gay. You told him about Neil, not knowing who he was.”

Helena flinched. She then scowled. “They promised they wouldn’t tell anyone. I’m going to–”

“No one at school knows.” Clarissa clicked her fingers as another piece fell into place. “You told Doug, too. That’s why he’s not interfering.”

Karen stared at the two of them. “What are you talking about?”

Clarissa looked at Helena. “Do they know? About Neil, I mean?”

Helena nodded. “It’s fairly common knowledge in the club.” She gave Clarissa a faint smile. “He’s a nice guy. A lot of people are looking out for him.”

Karen crossed her arms. “Will someone tell me what the fuck is going on?”

Clarissa kept her eyes on Helena, checking for clues that her intuition may be flawed. “Liam’s my ex. He came out as gay a couple of months ago. He, Doug, and Rod have been bullying Neil for years. I’ve used some blackmail I’ve got on Liam to put a stop to that, but recently Liam’s been acting a little peculiar. Yesterday, when Neil didn’t show up at school and Liam started to panic, I found out why; he’s got a crush on Neil. I’m guessing that started when Liam found out Neil’s gay, and now he wants him as a boyfriend.”

Helena stared and then gave a snort of laughter. “Oh, that’s nice.” She smiled at the other girls. “It was at Easter. Liam’s two friends tried to hit on me at the game and were going to leave when I told them Ollie’s my boyfriend. Liam was the nice guy who wanted to talk. He mentioned he’s gay and looking for a boyfriend. I said I knew someone who was gay and single...” She pulled a face. “I didn’t know that they already knew Neil, but they promised they wouldn’t say anything to anyone. At least they’ve kept their promise.” She raised an eyebrow at Clarissa, asking for confirmation.

Clarissa nodded as she filed the information towards her understanding of Neil...and Liam.

“And that’s why you’re so happy?” Karen asked.

“No, it’s more amusement.” Helena chuckled. “I was going to introduce Liam to Neil because both of them want boyfriends. I mightn’t’ve picked well for Neil, but it seems I was right on target for Liam.”

* * *

Peter glanced around the change room at the assembled players. “Okay, guys, the game’s not over yet. After their initial burst, we’ve managed to contain them, but we haven’t been able to peg back the difference. We’re blocking their movement of the ball down the central corridor, but they’re doing the same to us. So we’re going to change things around.”

“What’s the status with Roger?” Deon asked.

“Roger’s out for the rest of the game. Andrew’s sent him to get some scans on his ankle so we can find out the full extent of the damage.” Peter didn’t tell the players the rest of the news, that if it was a high-ankle sprain, as Andrew suspected, it would be weeks before Roger returned. The scans would hopefully determine how many, but Peter had been told to expect Roger to be unable to play for at least two months. “We need you to step up a notch, Deon, if we’re going to stay in this game.” He narrowed his eyes as he swept his gaze over the rest of the players. “That goes for all of you. Brat, you’re staying on the forward line to help out Deon. Jarrod, I’m moving you to the back to help out there. You need to pounce on the loose ball and get it out of there before the Bulldogs can strike. Dad, you’re taking the centre, but be prepared to range all the way across the middle of the ground.”

Peter turned to the player he was most unsure about. “Dave, we need you to cover the near wing. Chase that ball and keep the opposition at bay. Can you do it?”

There was a collective silence from the other players as everyone stared at Dave. He grimaced and then firmed his expression. He nodded.

“Great!” Peter immediately turned to the team’s primary ruckman, not wanting the attention to linger on Dave. “Zach, we need you to win more of the ruck duels. You’ve being outmuscled too many times. If you don’t think you can win them, let our fast guys know and concentrate on making sure your opponent doesn’t win them, either. We’ll work on picking up the loose ball rather than controlling the ruck.”

He continued to give instructions for the next ten minutes. Unless Footscray faded in the second half, it was going to be a tough battle to pull out a win.

* * *

“I don’t think it’ll be a good idea to tell Neil you know, at least not at the moment,” Karen said to Clarissa while they watched the game.

“Because of everything else that’s been going on?” Clarissa sighed. “Yeah, I agree. I’d like to, so he knows he has another friend who doesn’t mind, but it might be too much for him.” She hadn’t mentioned the conversation she’d overheard between Sam and Marcus to the other girls, but she had the general impression that they already knew that Neil was fragile.

“Thanks. Ty thinks that Neil’s turned a corner by moving out of home, but being chased by a television reporter is freaking him out.”

“I’m not surprised. It would freak me out, too.” Clarissa sighed. “I would’ve liked to stick around for the end of the game so I could say hello, but I think it’ll be better if I quietly disappear. He seems to have gone to a lot of effort to keep his life here away from what’s happening at school.”

“Yeah...” Karen glanced down to where Neil was carrying a couple of drink bottles out to Todd and Paul. “You’ve got my number now, so stay in touch. If there’s something going on that you think is important, Ty and Todd will want to know about it.”

“Do you think Neil will be at school on Monday?”

“No idea. A lot will depend on whether there’s a risk that his father will show up and try to drag him away.” Karen snorted. “Neil’s father is the one accusing the Leopards of kidnapping his son, but the real risk is the other way around.”

“Can’t his parents take him out of school despite what he wants?” Clarissa asked.

“From what Anne told me, I don’t think so.” When Karen saw Clarissa’s puzzled expression, she explained. “Anne’s the club’s financial controller. She also keeps on top of most of the legal issues for the club, as they don’t have a full-time lawyer. She’s checked up, and Neil’s old enough to move out of home if he wants. He might have problems with any school activities that need parental approval, but they can’t take him out of school against his will.” Karen smiled. “At least it’s a public school. If it was a private school, he might be in trouble.”

Clarissa frowned as she thought. Her contemplations were interrupted by a cheer from the crowd around them. She glanced at the oval to see a number of Leopards congratulating one of their players while the goal umpire signalled a goal.

“We’re now just over two goals behind, but we’re running out of time.” Karen grimaced. “They’re cutting it fine if they’re going to pull out a last-minute win.”

“Who kicked the goal?”

“Deon.” Karen smiled at Clarissa. “He’s the one who hid Neil last night.”

Clarissa stared down towards Deon. “I’m glad he did. I really hope everything works out for Neil.”

“Me, too.” Karen sighed. “I’m still worried about Monday. I’m not sure if it’s a good idea for him to go to school, just in case his father tries something.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll make sure nothing happens.” Clarissa firmed her expression. “Liam will help. Doug might, too.”

“I thought they’d been bullying Neil?”

Clarissa smiled. “That was before Liam found out Neil’s gay. Now, he’ll do anything he can to get in Neil’s good books. I didn’t understand before, but now that I know that Neil’s gay and Liam knows it, too, I understand what’s making him tick. I’m not sure about Doug, but Liam’s his best friend. He might just help to make his mate happy. If not, a kick to the balls will make sure he doesn’t interfere.”

* * *

Peter scowled as the last of the players trudged into the change room. Will was in his usual spot by the door, ready to let the supporters in after Peter had finished his immediate review with the players.

Before Peter could say anything, Ty, who had been fiddling with something inside his sports bag, turned and faced the team. “We lost. Roger, our captain, went down in the first quarter, and while we rallied around to pick up the slack, we didn’t do enough. So, we fucking lost.”

Peter glared at Ty. “Brat, sit down.”

“After I’ve said my bit.” Ty glared at his teammates. “We need to show Roger that we’re not going to lie down. We need to show him – and everyone else – how we feel when we find out that we’re not quite good enough and what we are going to do about it.” He reached into his bag and pulled out his phone plugged into a set of speakers. “And what are we going to do?”

Moments later, the chorus of Twisted Sister’s We’re Not Gonna Take It sounded out. Ty strode around the room, meeting everyone’s eyes as he sang along with the music. He paused in front of Neil for a moment and smiled as he sang before moving on.

The team reacted, slowly at first with Todd and Zach being the first to join in, but by the time Ty had finished his circuit, everyone was singing along. Peter stared in disbelief as everyone responded to Ty’s question of “What do we think of losing?” by joining in the chorus at the top of their voices.

Ty turned off the music and looked at Peter. “Sorry, but it was something I needed to do.”

Peter smiled and nodded his head. The smile faded as he scanned the room. While still disappointed, the players were no longer despondent. Instead, Peter could detect a sense of determination throughout the group. His eyes rested momentarily on Dave, the one significant positive that came out of the game. Dave had played a strong, disciplined second half – just what the team had needed. The way Dave was watching Ty, not Peter, told the Leopards coach that Dave was taking Ty’s lesson onboard.

Peter glanced at Ty. “Put that back on, and set it to repeat.” He looked at Will. “Open the doors. Let’s show our supporters how we feel about losing. We’ll review the game on Monday night after training.”

Ty seemed surprised, so Peter moved over and took the phone and speakers out of his hand. He found the song but hadn’t set it to play when Ty took the speakers and phone back and set the music going. The two exchanged a nod before Ty returned to circling the room while singing his head off.

Peter was about to fade into the background when he spotted Neil frowning at Ty. He moved and sat next to the youngster. “Are you okay?”

Neil’s eyes didn’t leave Ty. “Yeah, I think so.” Neil pulled a face and then looked at Peter. “Can you ask Colin to find that reporter? I think I’m ready to tell my side of the story.” He gave Peter a weak smile. “I don’t wanna take it, anymore, either.”

There are times when a song demands to be included in a story. This was one of those times for me....
Don't forget you can also comment in the discussion forum thread!
Copyright © 2015 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well, it certainly seems that you can learn a lot of things by eavesdropping at football games. xD

Anyway, great chapter! I can't wait for Neil to confront the reporter. She will probably try to twist his every word... it remain to be seen whether he manages to still get his story across... I guess it really depends on whether she tries to make it into the juicy story of the club corrupting a kid or she has some sense of fairness and/or thinks that a story about an abusive father and the club coming to rescue might just sell similarly good. ^^

:)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/14/2015 09:11 PM, Sammy Blue said:
Well, it certainly seems that you can learn a lot of things by eavesdropping at football games. xD

Anyway, great chapter! I can't wait for Neil to confront the reporter. She will probably try to twist his every word... it remain to be seen whether he manages to still get his story across... I guess it really depends on whether she tries to make it into the juicy story of the club corrupting a kid or she has some sense of fairness and/or thinks that a story about an abusive father and the club coming to rescue might just sell similarly good. ^^

:)

I'm sure all the eavesdropping was completely accidental... :P

 

There are certainly a lot of possible consequences from talking to the reporter. :) I will say that you'll find out what happens in the next chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Sometimes I really hate being right ! :pinch:(more on that in the forum)

When I read the chapter again, I winced at Neil's words: "I don’t want my life to become even more complicated – not just yet." Poor Neil, but I'm glad he feels strong enough to stand up for himself.

Poor Liam, too. He's gonna have a hard time convincing Clarissa to help him, athough I think she'll just tease him for a while, before relenting. And for a moment I thought Ollie had blown the Alf cover. Maybe Neil will forget that hint with all the other things happening.

Another interesting football match and Patrick got his wish of seeing the Leopards lose. But he doesn't know about Ty's rallying song in the changing room. I feel sorry for Roger, this may well be the end of his football career.

Link to comment

Incredible chapter! They just keep getting better and better. :)

 

So, you were right about Neil's not wanting to come out at school immediately. It's amazing how that happens. ;) And, yet, Clarissa managed to figure it out on her own. Looking forward to her (no doubt hilarious) confrontation with Liam and Doug.

 

I think Neil's telling his side of the story is a good idea; however, my (extremely limited) experience with reporters is that it's prudent to select carefully the reporter one speaks with. Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/14/2015 10:42 PM, Timothy M. said:
Sometimes I really hate being right ! :pinch:(more on that in the forum)

When I read the chapter again, I winced at Neil's words: "I don’t want my life to become even more complicated – not just yet." Poor Neil, but I'm glad he feels strong enough to stand up for himself.

Poor Liam, too. He's gonna have a hard time convincing Clarissa to help him, athough I think she'll just tease him for a while, before relenting. And for a moment I thought Ollie had blown the Alf cover. Maybe Neil will forget that hint with all the other things happening.

Another interesting football match and Patrick got his wish of seeing the Leopards lose. But he doesn't know about Ty's rallying song in the changing room. I feel sorry for Roger, this may well be the end of his football career.

A moderate grade high ankle sprain will take an athlete out for 6-12 weeks. It's not a career ending injury, though this is not the first time Roger's hurt his ankle. Now, an ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) injury can be career ending. Some players come back from more than one, but that particular injury usually takes a year to recover from.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/15/2015 01:01 AM, impunity said:
Incredible chapter! They just keep getting better and better. :)

 

So, you were right about Neil's not wanting to come out at school immediately. It's amazing how that happens. ;) And, yet, Clarissa managed to figure it out on her own. Looking forward to her (no doubt hilarious) confrontation with Liam and Doug.

 

I think Neil's telling his side of the story is a good idea; however, my (extremely limited) experience with reporters is that it's prudent to select carefully the reporter one speaks with. Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Talking with a reporter can be hazardous. A potentially hostile reporter is even more dangerous. But sometimes, not talking at all can make things even worse. There's not always a right answer :(
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Fantastic Graeme! I love the suspense, the building tension, the budding romance. This story keeps getting even more compelling. Great job. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/15/2015 06:43 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Fantastic Graeme! I love the suspense, the building tension, the budding romance. This story keeps getting even more compelling. Great job. :)
Thanks, Cole!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..