Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 6,736 Words
  • 3,361 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leopard Spots - 43. Chapter 43

Saturday 21st June

Peter scowled, his frustration showing. “What the hell is the brat up to? He’s not paying attention.”

“He seems more interested in his opponent than the game.” Will frowned. “He’s also bumping and jostling the guy more than I usually see him do.”

Julie checked the opposition-player list. “That’s Craig Roach. Does the brat have a history with him?”

Peter grimaced. “I heard rumours through some friends that the two had a run in when they were both on the state squad, but I’d discounted it. I thought he was more sensible than that. Shit!” He ran a hand through his hair and then called back over his shoulder. “Runner!”

Neil stepped forward and waited.

“Tell the brat he’s moving back into defence, and then have Owen return to the forward line.” Peter glanced at the clock. “I’ll revisit things at the half-time break.”

Neil nodded and headed off. He checked where the football was – the other end of the oval – and then ran onto the ground. He soon caught up with Ty.

“...worthless piece of shit. You should go home and leave the game to someone who knows how to play.”

Ty grimaced at the taunt from his opponent but didn’t respond, at least not verbally. He did manage to give the guy a hefty bump as he turned to face Neil. “G’day, mate.”

“Peter wants you back in defence, and then Owen is to come back here to the forward line.” Neil kept a wary eye on the opposition player who was looking particularly aggressive.

Craig Roach sneered at Ty. “Do what you’re told and run away, little boy.”

“Fuck off, cockroach.” Ty turned away.

“At least I know how to fuck. Unlike your friend, Henderson.”

Ty spun around and drove a fist into the other guy’s stomach. As Craig doubled over, Ty stared down at him and then gave Neil a horrified look. “Neil, I...”

Craig Roach leapt forward from his crouched position and took Ty down in a classic tackle. Ty tried to push him away, but his opponent grabbed his jumper and shoved Ty back against the ground.

Neil watched as the two wrestled, too stunned to do anything. When Ollie and another opposition player ran past and tried to separate the two, Neil took a step backwards. He glanced around and saw other players sprinting towards the scuffle. He backed off. When one of the newcomers shoved Ollie from where he was trying to pull Ty’s foe away, Neil knew the brawl was escalating. He retreated a few more steps and then turned and ran back to the bench. Neil felt bad about doing so, but he had been told he couldn’t interfere, and he suspected that included fights. When he arrived, he found all three coaches on their feet, staring at the expanding melee.

“What the fuck happened out there?” Peter asked as soon as Neil was in earshot.

“The guy was being abusive, and Ty hit him. The guy tackled Ty, and everyone started to join in.”

“The brat did what?” Peter didn’t wait for an answer. He scanned the interchange players standing on the boundary line watching the action. “Jai, you’re going in for the brat. Take his place on the forward line.” Peter scowled as more players on the field joined in the melee, though all that Neil could see was pushing and shoving. The players seemed to be avoiding anything more serious. “Shit! This is one huge, fucking disaster.”

Neil stepped back to his usual position with the other runners behind the coaches. He thought the Leopards’ head coach was more upset than the situation deserved, but a quick glance around showed others in the team were also concerned.

Julie moved over next to him. “If the brat swung and hit the other guy, he’s going to get reported. If the umpires saw it the way you described, he’s going to be suspended just as we’re getting to some critical games. That’s what’s got Peter so upset. The brat hasn’t been playing well, and it’s showing on the scoreboard. Now we’re in danger of losing him for the next few games, too.”

It was several minutes later before the players had dispersed and Ty was on his way back to the bench. His expression was stormy, but it didn’t seem to have any real focus. “Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck!”

Peter scowled. Ty grimaced in response. “Yeah, I know. I’ve fucked up big time. Sorry.”

“It’s not me you need to apologise to, brat.”

Ty flinched. He caught sight of Neil watching him and pulled a face before looking away. “Fuck!”

The bad news was confirmed soon afterward. Ty had been reported by both a goal umpire and a boundary umpire. He would have a date with the tribunal on Monday night.

* * *

The mood in the visitors’ change room was sombre at the end of the match. Before Peter could say anything, Ty stood up. “Sorry guys. I shouldn’t’ve let that cockroach get inside my head, and I certainly shouldn’t’ve lost my temper. I let you all down.” He glanced at where the coaches were standing. Peter’s arms were crossed, and he had what threatened to be a permanent scowl on his face. “I’ll be speaking with Peter later about it, but I wanted to tell you all that I fucked up and I’m sorry.”

“We’re a team, brat, but if we’re going to win, we need everyone doing their jobs.” Peter scanned the room. “As he said, he fucked up, but he’s not the only one. He just fucked up the most. I’m not going to name names, but you know who you are. Next week, we’re playing Port Melbourne at home, and we need to be prepared. Some of you guys seemed to think that because we defeated the Hawks three weeks ago that we can beat any team. You’re right...but it’s not a given.” He cast his angry gaze around the room. “It’s also true that any of our opponents can beat us if we don’t play as a team. Too many times this afternoon I saw individual efforts but not enough teamwork.”

Peter scowled at the downcast players for a couple of seconds before continuing in a milder tone. “Despite the appalling display out there, there were a few gems that deserve to be highlighted.” He nodded to Dave. “When almost everyone else lost their heads, you kept yours, Dave. Well done. You were consistently strong and tough all day, and that’s what we need.”

A few of the players gave murmurs of congratulations, but the general tone in the change room after their loss prevented a more rousing acknowledgement of Dave’s successful game.

“Paul, you negated their main scorer for most of the match. It’s unfortunate that their other forwards picked up the slack, but we have to expect that. That’s why we need everyone to fire up and do their jobs. You stopped one forward, but the others got away from us too many times.”

Peter turned to Deon, and for the first time a faint smile appeared on his face. “Four goals, Deon. Another great result. It wasn’t enough for the team, but as a personal effort, it was top notch. Your accuracy is also improving, which is another reason you should go out and celebrate tonight. We need you more than ever now, so keep up the good work.”

Deon grimaced and dropped his head. As with Dave, a few players muttered a few words, but losing the match had drained everyone’s energy.

Will smiled as he stepped forward. “As an extra positive to come out of the game – and it’s only temporary because some of the other teams haven’t played yet – but those four goals makes Deon the leading goal scorer for the competition.” He grinned towards the young player. “Well done!”

There was a bigger response this time, one that took the edge of the despondency, but it was still a long way from the enthusiasm the team had previously shown after a match.

Peter watched the players for another couple of seconds and then turned to Will. “You can let everyone in, now.” Without waiting, Peter headed to where Ty was sitting with his elbows on his knees and his head bowed. “You wanted to talk?” Peter asked as he sat down.

Ty glanced around before dropping his head again. “I’d prefer it to be in private.”

“Let me guess. You’re wondering if I still want you as vice-captain.”

Ty stiffened and looked up, wide-eyed.

Peter chuckled. “I’m going insane in the process, but I’m beginning to understand how you think.” He smiled. “You fucked up. You know you fucked up. But you didn’t do it for the wrong reasons.” He held up a hand to stop Ty from speaking. “Yes, you shouldn’t’ve done it, but you did. Fine. If I thought you’d do it again, then I would consider asking for you to stand down, but I can tell you’ve taken the lesson to heart. If it happens again, I might reconsider, but for now you still retain my confidence, and I suspect you’ll find your teammates will think the same.”

Ty frowned for a moment and then gave Peter a weak smile. “Thanks.”

“Now, how about doing what you’ve done before? Get everyone out of their current mood and back into being focused on making sure we don’t lose again.” Peter smiled expectantly.

Ty screwed up his face. “It doesn’t feel right. Not just yet. Maybe on the bus heading home, but not now when I’m the one to blame. It’d be like I’m trying to pretend I didn’t fuck up. Sorry, Peter.”

Peter stood up and put a hand on Ty’s shoulder. He gave a small squeeze to show he understood. “Don’t beat yourself up too badly, brat. You weren’t the only one to fuck up today. We still need you for the rest of the season.”

Ty flinched. “Yeah.... Hopefully I don’t get rubbed out for too many matches.”

“We’ll talk about that later. Immediately after your shower, make a note of everything the other guy said. We’ll review it and see if we can plead provocation.” When Ty seemed surprised, Peter smiled. “Neil told us that the other guy was being abusive. I’ve already noted down what he overheard, but the more we’ve got, the better. What Neil told me isn’t going to be enough to sway the tribunal, but if there was more and worse, it just might.”

“The problem is there wasn’t. It was pretty normal sledging, annoying but nothing I wouldn’t normally ignore. But he also targeted Dad, and that’s what made me eventually lose it.”

Peter frowned. “Any homophobic comments?”

“No. Just snide comments because of that TV interview.” Ty screwed up his face. “Not much worse than what I’ve been giving Dad all week, but it was different when it was said with malice. I saw red, and it fucked up my game. I told Dad to not let them get to him, and then I let it happen to me.”

“Don’t worry about it. Just make sure it doesn’t work a second time.”

Ty’s expression hardened. “It won’t. Never again. I won’t give that cockroach the satisfaction.”

* * *

Neil watched from his spot in the Leopards bus as a succession of players sat down next to Ty, had a few words, and then moved on. Ty’s despondency was impacting on the team, but the response it drew was one of support. Neil waited, and when there was a break he moved from his seat into the one next to Ty. “G’day.”

Ty started to grimace and then seemed startled. “Neil?” He glanced past Neil, as if looking for someone else to be standing there, and then returned to the young runner. “I didn’t expect you to come to see me.”

“I’ve got a question.”

Ty frowned. “If you want to know if I knew what I was doing, the answer’s no. As I hit him, I knew I was in trouble, but it wasn’t premeditated. It was like how I used to be before Dad pulled me into line; I reacted without thinking.”

“That wasn’t my question.” Neil smiled. “I wanted to know if your father is always right.”

“My what?” Ty stared, perplexed. “What’s that bastard got to do with anything?”

“Is he always right?”

“Fuck, no!” Ty glared into the distance at something only he could see. “He fucked me up so badly, I wouldn’t mind...” He shook his head and he brought his attention back to Neil. “What’s he got to do with anything?”

“Because when we saw him on Mother’s Day, he said you were worthless. Is he right?”

“Don’t go there, Neil...”

Ty’s warning growl made Neil’s smile widen further, though he knew there was an element of risk with what he was doing. He considered it worth it to help someone who had done so much for him.

“What about Karen? She doesn’t think you’re worthless. Is she right?”

“Neil...”

“I don’t think you’re worthless, either. But I’ve been wrong about a lot of things. Am I wrong about this one, too?”

Ty turned away. “Fuck off, Neil. I’m not in the mood.”

Some of the tension that had crept into Neil as he pushed Ty faded away. Ty wasn’t going to get violent, which was what Neil had been afraid of. “I know a brat who’s always right. Except when he’s not, of course. What’s the brat’s opinion? Are you worthless or not?”

Ty scowled back at Neil. “Fuck off and leave me alone!”

Neil stared back, using all his willpower to avoid swallowing nervously. “Friends don’t leave friends alone. A number of people have taught me that. You’re one of them.”

Ty’s scowl faded, and his head dropped. “I fucked up, Neil. Fucked up big time.”

“So? Liam fucked up for five years, but he’s come good. Deon’s dad fucked up, but the two of them have sorted out their differences. My dad fucked up big time – bigger than you – when he hit me, but he’s coming around, too. My mum...” Neil’s voice faded as he thought about his mother. He had no doubt that she loved him, but she was struggling with him being gay. “Anyway, fucking up once in awhile happens. I want to know if the brat who befriended me is still there, or if that deadbeat father of his is right. I’m betting his father’s wrong.”

The two stared at each other for several seconds before a faint smile appeared on Ty’s face. “Thanks, Neil.” His smiled strengthened. “Just for the record, I’m always right. There’s no exception.”

Neil raised an eyebrow. “Really?”

“Yes, really!”

Neil grinned. “In that case, can you tell me the answers to my upcoming chemistry test? I keep getting confused on exothermic and endothermic reactions.”

Ty grinned back. “Fuck off, Neil. If you want help with that sort of stuff, go see Charlie. I only deal with important things.”

Neil nodded as he stood up. “Like people. Like friends.” He smiled down at Ty. “Thanks, brat.”

“No, thank you.” Ty sighed, though the smile on his lips remained. “Sometimes I need reminding about what’s important and what’s not.”

Neil was in a happy mood as he started to head back to his seat. He stopped when Jim, who was seated in the row behind Ty, reached out and grabbed his arm. Neil gave Jim a quizzical look. He received a smile and a thumbs-up from Jim in response.

That made Neil’s day.

* * *

“...and so I’ve been asked to attend the tribunal tomorrow night,” Neil said.

“Do you think it’ll make any difference?” Liam asked. The two were lying intertwined on Liam’s bed while they caught up on the events of the previous day’s football match.

“Probably not. Ty’s indicated he’s going to plead guilty to the charge, so the only benefit I’ll be able to give is to tell the tribunal what I heard. I doubt it’ll be enough for them to decide the brat was provoked, but every little bit helps. We’re all hoping he’s not rubbed out for too many games.”

“Did the other guy get reported, too?”

Neil frowned. “Honestly, I don’t know. He might’ve been, but all our attention was on what was going on with Ty.” Neil let his head rest on Liam’s chest. “Because we’ve got two weekends off in the next month, if he gets suspended for three or more matches it’ll mean he’ll be off for at least five weeks. Todd’s concerned that Ty will lose a lot of match fitness if he doesn’t play for that length of time.”

“Yeah...” Liam grimaced. “I’ve seen that happen too many times. No matter how hard someone tries to train, it’s not the same as a real match.” He paused and then smiled. “I’ve just realised what you said. You used ‛we’ when you were talking about the Leopards. You’re a part of them, and they’re a part of you.”

Neil thought for a moment and then pulled himself onto an elbow so he could give Liam a wry smile. “I’ve heard the guys talk about how the Leopards are like a family, but now I know what they mean. The Leopards are my family now.”

Liam used the arm that had been behind Neil’s back to pull him on top of himself. He smiled and took advantage of the situation to take a quick kiss. Neil had other ideas, and the kiss lasted longer than originally planned. Liam didn’t complain.

Eventually, the two separated. Neil rolled off the bed and stood up. He grinned sheepishly at Liam. “Sorry, but even if you don’t need to, I have to study for our chemistry exam.”

Liam grimaced. “Talk about a mood killer. Don’t remind me; it’s not exactly a subject I’m shining in.” He sighed and rose. “You promised to help me with my maths, too.”

Neil grinned. “I did. And what will you offer me in exchange?”

Liam grinned back but didn’t say anything. He didn’t need to.

The two retreated to Liam’s desk and proceeded to work their way through the chemistry textbook, covering the various topics that had been addressed during the first half of the school year. They had just started on Liam’s maths revision, when there was a knock at the door.

“Yeah, Dad?” Liam called out.

The bedroom door opened and Bruce Bellweather stuck his head in. “When you guys want a break, come to the kitchen. Your mother and I need to discuss something with you.”

Liam tried to keep a nervous frown from appearing on his face. “Just me? And what is it about?”

Bruce smiled. “No, both of you. Don’t worry about it until then.”

Liam gnawed at his lower lip. He glanced at Neil and received a shrug in reply. “How about now?” Liam asked.

“If you like.” Bruce stepped back and waited for the guys to join him in the hallway. “We’re doing some forward planning, and we thought it was about time to get you involved.”

“Is this about uni next year?” Liam asked, holding crossed fingers behind his back as the three strolled towards the kitchen.

Bruce’s smile disappeared. “No. We haven’t made any decisions about that...yet.”

“Then, what?”

Liam’s mother looked up as they entered the room. “I’ve just made some raspberry muffins. Would you boys like some?”

“Yes, please!” both Liam and Neil chorused.

She chuckled as she turned away and pulled a couple of small plates from a cupboard. “Take a seat. Has your father told you what this is about?”

Liam flicked a quick scowl at his father. “No.”

“Well, we were discussing your punishments and decided it was time to start relaxing your restrictions.”

Liam pumped his fist. “Yes!”

Bruce chuckled as he took a seat at the table. “Don’t get too excited. You’re still on probation after the stunts you’ve pulled. But you’ve been on your best behaviour recently, so...”

Neil and Liam glanced at each other and then sat down opposite Liam’s father. Beth brought the boys their muffins. There was a faint mist of steam rising from them, and Liam licked his lips in response to the sweet aroma that wafted upwards.

“Neil, how are you getting along with Doug and Rod?” Beth asked.

Neil winced. “Okay, I guess. I don’t see Rod very much anymore.”

“Hmm...” Beth Bellweather eyed Liam. “Are you going to invite them to your birthday party this year?”

Liam stiffened. “Am I getting one? I’d thought...”

Bruce grinned. “Yes, you’re having a party.” He contemplated Neil while responding to Liam. “As you pointed out to us not too long ago, a person only gets one eighteenth-birthday party. Maybe we shouldn’t’ve tried to stop you from going to Neil’s, but that’s done. Rather than worry about that, we’d like to ask what you want to do for your own.”

Liam’s initial euphoria quickly faded as he noticed Neil’s slumped posture. He knew Neil had to be at his party, but so did Doug and Rod. He needed to find a way to manage that problem.

* * *

Patrick O’Malley frowned as Shane entered his office and closed the door. “Paddy, we need to talk.”

“About what?”

Shane dropped into Patrick’s spare chair and leant back. “Flanders. I’m concerned his attitude problem is reappearing.”

Patrick had been half reading a scout’s report when Shane’s comment grabbed his full attention. “Why?”

“There was a brawl in the Leopards-Williamstown match on Saturday involving most of the players from both teams. Flanders was reported for striking. From what I’ve been told, he started the fight by punching his opponent behind the play. That doesn’t sound like someone we want here at Carlton.”

Patrick drummed his fingers on the desktop. “Are you saying you no longer want to consider drafting him?”

“I’m saying that we need to find out what’s going on. I can’t risk using one of our draft picks on someone who is unreliable.”

Patrick nodded slowly and looked up Ty’s details on his computer. “Do you know if Henderson was involved in the brawl?”

“Why?” When Patrick just stared impassively back, Shane shrugged. “I suppose so, but I don’t know. What difference does it make?”

Patrick reached for his desk phone. “Stick around and we’ll find out. I’m going to see if I can get hold of the boy, and we’ll get his side of the story.”

“How can we trust what he says? He’ll probably lie through his teeth and blame the other guy.”

“We won’t know until we ask.” Patrick shrugged. “It won’t hurt to find out what he has to say for himself. If we find out he’s lied to us, then that’s something you’ll need to factor into your decision.” Not waiting for a response he put the phone on speaker and dialled Ty’s number. They waited a few seconds while it rang.

“Hello?” The sound was scratchy, with a significant degree of background noise.

“Hi, brat. It’s Patrick O’Malley here. Did I catch you at a bad time?”

“Oh, Mr. O’Malley. Just give me a sec.” Patrick and Shane heard him yelling to someone that he was taking a short break. Shortly afterwards, the level of background noise dropped to a faint murmur. “Sorry about that.”

“That’s alright. I take it you’re at work.”

“Yeah, but it’s about time for the morning break, anyway. What can I do for you?”

“I heard there was a bit of a fracas on Saturday involving lots of Leopard players, including your Dad. Can you tell me what happened?”

Ty snorted. “Dad didn’t do anything wrong, if that’s what you’re worried about. He came in to try to break it up, not to start anything. It was all my fault, not his.”

Patrick smiled as he raised an eyebrow at Shane. “What did you do?” Patrick asked Ty.

“The cockroach I was playing against had been making snide comments since the start of the game. I ignored most of them, but when he started in on Dad I lost the plot. I shouldn’t have let it get to me, but I did. Dad wasn’t there to defend himself, so I acted.” There was a short pause. “Actually, more like reacted. It was a big mistake. I wasn’t thinking, and I’ve let the team –and Dad – down.”

“Did Jim say anything to you afterwards?”

“He didn’t need to. I knew he was disappointed in me. I’ve already promised him I won’t let anyone do that to me again.” Ty snorted. “Dad told me to not promise things I can’t deliver.”

Shane scowled and shook his head as he stared at the speaker.

“What do you think? Was that a promise you’re not going to be able to keep?” Patrick asked.

“I hope not. He’s right – I can’t promise that – but I’m going to do my best. My team needs me, and I don’t like Dad being disappointed with me. He’s a great role model and mentor. Anyway, as I said, he didn’t do anything wrong. From what I’ve heard, he suffered worse sledging than me throughout the match, and it didn’t affect his game. He played really well.”

“Thanks, brat. I really appreciate you filling me in on what happened. I understand that you have a date with the tribunal tonight.”

“Yeah...”

“Well, good luck. And all the best for the rest of the season. I’ll let you get back to work now.”

“Thanks, Mr. O’Malley. I really appreciate you ringing me to get the story straight. Dad did nothing wrong; it was all my fault.”

A few seconds later, Patrick was leaning back in his chair and staring at Carlton’s recruiting manager.

“You heard him, Paddy. He started it and for no good reason. He couldn’t even commit to not doing it again.”

Patrick shook his head. “I heard him admit fault, say he did it to defend one of his teammates, and then made sure that no one else was blamed for what happen. He made a mistake, granted, but he’s only eighteen. A lot of kids his age lose their temper.”

“But still...”

“You were worried about his attitude problem. I think that conversation settles that question once and for all; it hasn’t come back.” Patrick shrugged. “He made an error of judgement, a momentary lapse of common sense. That doesn’t make him undraftable.”

“I don’t like being pressured, Paddy.” Shane stood up. “If he fucks up again like this, I won’t take him.”

Patrick nodded. “That’s fair enough. I’m willing to put money on him not getting reported again for the rest of the season, though.” He smiled. “Knowing you, you’ll have someone at tonight’s tribunal to get another side of the story. Ten bucks says that Flanders will plead guilty and try to take all the blame.”

Shane stared for a moment and then smiled. “I won’t take that bet. Knowing you, as soon as I leave the room, you’ll be back on the phone to him to convince to do exactly that to minimise any suspension he receives.”

“Would I do that?” Patrick grinned. “Even without another phone call, I’m confident I’m right.”

Shane shrugged as he opened the office door. “I’m not going to bet against you, Paddy. I’ve lost too many times in the past to want to do that again.”

* * *

Doug frowned as Liam approached him at lunchtime. “I thought you would’ve been with the girls.”

“And Neil.”

“I was including him with the girls.” Doug smiled when Liam threw him a glare. “Anyway, why aren’t you with them?”

“I feel like I’ve been neglecting you.” Liam shrugged. “Neil put the idea into my head that I should be spending time with you, too.”

“That loser?” Doug raised an eyebrow. “That’s good news. Thanks, mate!”

Liam narrowed his eyes. “Why do you think that’s good news?”

“It means that he doesn’t want you around. That gives you a chance to find someone better.” Doug then scowled. “But if I catch him with someone else before you dump him...” Doug slammed a fist into his palm.

Liam sighed. “It’s not like that. He pointed out that you’re a good friend and that I should do what I can to make sure you stay a good friend.”

“You don’t have to do anything for that to happen.” Doug brightened. “But if you want to make me happy, all you need to do is abandon that–”

No!

Doug gave Liam a wry smile. “It was worth a try.” He draped an arm across Liam’s shoulders. “Since you’re loser-free, what would you like to do?”

“How about we hang out with some of the guys again?” Liam cringed. “I’ve been ignoring everyone for weeks.”

Doug didn’t move or say anything immediately. Liam gave him a quizzical look. Doug sighed. “Okay, but it mightn’t go the way you hope.”

“They’re pissed off at me. I would be in their position.”

“They’re not pissed off with you. Not really. It’s more that they’re not...”

Liam frowned. “They don’t want to be seen with a gay guy?”

Doug scowled. “Fuck, no! If they tried that, I’d rearrange their faces. No, it’s...”

“Spit it out, Doug.”

Doug edged away. “They don’t want to associate with anything to do with Four-Dork.”

His name’s Neil.” Liam didn’t bother trying to hide his anger. He knew that Doug would detect it anyway.

“I know, but that’s not what they call him.” Doug grimaced. “Come on, mate. Look at it from their point of view. For the last five years, being seen with Four-Dork was a sure-fire path to social oblivion. They’re not going to change quickly.”

“Neil’s a great guy when you get to know him.”

“I know that’s what you think, and he makes you happy, so I’m not interfering, but...” Doug made a face. “It’s not that easy, Liam. It goes against everything we’ve said and done for years. All I’m saying is that the guys aren’t comfortable with you hanging around with that loser.”

“So, when I invite them to my birthday party...”

Doug grimaced. “If Four-Dork is going to be there, they may not come.”

* * *

Neil glanced to the side as he and Liam strolled to the train station after school. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” Liam’s sullen tone told a different story.

Neil wondered if he should push. He had only seen Liam’s good side for the previous few weeks, but he could still remember the nasty side. He was afraid to see Jerk Face return. As the two continued in silence – a silence that was itself a change in the recent pattern – Neil decided he couldn’t let things slide. He needed to know if Liam’s friendship might only be a temporary thing.

“Something’s wrong, Liam. You’re angry for some reason. Is it something to do with me?”

Liam seemed startled. “Fuck, no!” He reached out and put a hand on Neil’s arm for a moment. “I’m really happy with you. It’s the other guys that...”

“That what?”

Liam grimaced, and it was several seconds before he responded. “I spent some time with Doug at lunchtime like you suggested.” He smiled at Neil. “I suppose the contrast there is part of what’s annoying the shit out of me. If you can put the past in the past, why can’t the other guys?”

“What did Doug and Rod say?”

“Doug is...Doug. He doesn’t like you, but as you’ve said before, you and he have an understanding. He’s not the one I’m frustrated with. It’s the other guys.” He paused and frowned. “Rod never said anything at lunchtime, not really. He was pleased to see me, but he didn’t say anything of consequence.”

“So...?”

Liam sighed. His walking pace slowed as his gaze dropped to the ground only a short distance ahead. “We had lunch with some of the guys from the school football team. I’ve known them for years. A couple had a small problem when I came out, but most were fine, and those two soon came around. That’s what makes this so...”

Neil waited for Liam to continue. He sensed he had pushed as hard as was reasonable and risked problems if he went further.

“I told the guys about my party and told them that they’ll all be invited. They weren’t thrilled.”

Neil blinked. “Why not?”

Liam gave him a look of pleading. “Do we really need to talk about this? I’d prefer to talk about us, not them.”

“If you like.” Neil hesitated before continuing. “But you said it was annoying you, and I can see that. Maybe getting it off your chest will help?”

Liam screwed up his face. “They asked me if you’d be there. When I said you would, they wouldn’t look me in the eye. They just said that they’d think about it.”

Neil swallowed. “So, if I go to your party, your friends mightn’t? Maybe it’ll be better if I stay away.”

Liam grabbed Neil’s arm. “Don’t say that! I want you there.” He let go and gave a heavy sigh. “If it turns out to be just you and me, that’ll still be the party I want. I’m not going to compromise on this, Neil. You’re my boyfriend. If they can’t handle that, then they’re not the friends I thought they were.”

* * *

The chairman of the VFL tribunal gave Ty a stern stare as he read out the verdict.

“...and so, it is the decision of the tribunal to suspend you for two matches.” He leant forward to emphasise his words. “This is more lenient than we would normally give, but we are taking into account not only your guilty plea and your obvious remorse, but also the peculiarities of the fixture at this particular juncture. We would’ve liked to have given you three weeks, but with the two byes coming up that would’ve been an effective five-week suspension, which we thought was too harsh. You should consider yourself lucky, and don’t expect the same light treatment if we see you again.”

Ty nodded, his face serious. “Thank you, sir. I sincerely hope I never see you again.” A smile appeared for a moment before it disappeared. “At least on a professional basis.”

The chairman nodded, his mood seeming lighter even though his expression never changed. “You’re dismissed.”

Ty waited until he, Peter, and Anne had left the room before he scowled. “Fuck, fuck, fuck!”

Neil, who was waiting outside, looked worried. “What happened?”

Anne smiled at the young man. “Two weeks, which is the best we could’ve hoped for. It could’ve been a lot worse.”

With a weekend without a game coming up, a suspension of two matches meant that Ty would have three weeks off from playing.

“But it still means I miss out on the match against Port Melbourne.” Ty grimaced as he turned to Peter. “I’m sorry.”

Peter shrugged. “We’ll have to deal with it. I’m not letting you off the hook, but it’s time to move on.” He fixed Ty with a steely gaze. “You’re going to have to work hard for the next three weeks, brat, to make sure you keep up your fitness. I also want you at the games you’ll be missing even if you can’t sit on the bench. You’re still a Leopard even if you’ve been muzzled.”

“Yeah, I know.” Ty was still downcast when he glanced at Anne. “Thanks for coming out on a Monday night. I’m sure you had better things to do.”

Anne smiled. “You needed some legal representation even though you pleaded guilty. Tristan said it would reinforce the contrite feeling if that representation wasn’t a lawyer.” Tristan was the solicitor who donated time to the club when required. He had been a loyal supporter for many years, and his firm was the one which sponsored Oliver.

Peter glanced at his watch. “I need to get back and find out how training went in my absence.” He glared at Ty. “You’re not working tomorrow, so I expect to see you making up for what you missed tonight.”

“Yes, sir.”

Peter smiled. “The name’s still Peter, brat. Now go, and take Neil home. I don’t know how much it helped, but having him testify certainly didn’t hurt your case.”

Ty gave Neil a gentle slap on the back. “Thanks, mate. It’s time for me to return to chauffeuring duties.”

A few minutes later, Neil and Ty were heading back to Lilydale. The trip to the tribunal had been occupied by the two talking about what was going to happen. The return journey started in silence.

Once they were on the Eastern Freeway, Neil turned to Ty. “Can I ask for some advice, brat?”

Ty flicked his eyes across to the passenger seat before returning his attention to his driving. “Sure! However, my advice isn’t always great, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.”

“It’s about Liam.”

Ty winced. “Don’t ask me about boyfriends, Neil. I’ve been one, but I’ve never had one.”

“It’s not that, it’s more to do with friendship.” Over the next five minutes, Neil hesitantly explained the problem of Liam’s friends and the party.

“That should be an easy one, Neil, but it’s not that simple.” Ty thought for a while before responding further. “If those guys were real friends, they’d go to the party regardless of who Liam is dating. But I’ve been in that position myself. When I was in Year 11, one of my mates started dating this real witch. We all saw that she wasn’t right for him, and we stopped hanging around when she was with him. We shouldn’t’ve let her drive a wedge between us and our mate, but we did. It was easier than having to deal with her.”

Ty flicked a smile across at a frowning Neil before continuing. “I’m not saying you’re a witch, but you’re someone Liam’s mates don’t approve of. That’s the same situation. Now, from what I’ve seen, I think you’re great for Liam and he’s great for you. Karen also approves of you two as a couple, which is all the confirmation I personally need. But those guys don’t know you like we do.”

Neil nodded slowly. “I don’t want Liam’s party to be messed up, so I’m thinking of telling him I can’t go. But I know that will upset him, too.”

“Don’t do that! Liam wants you there, and that’s more than sufficient reason to go. What we need to do is find a way to encourage his friends to go, too. When’s the party?”

“Sunday, 27th July. The guys will be playing football on the Saturday, which is why Liam picked the Sunday after his birthday.”

Ty smiled. That was one of the weekends when the Leopards didn’t have a game. “Has he picked a location or theme, yet?”

“Not that I know of.”

“Perfect! There are still a few details to sort out, but why don’t you give him a call and suggest he have the party in Lilydale – at the club – but make it for the afternoon. If I can round up a few of the guys to help, we can hold an impromptu football clinic as part of Liam’s birthday. From what Dad told me, the clinic at your school went well, so this will be more of the same, but with fewer people and more instructors. How does that sound?”

Neil grinned. “If you did that, then Liam’s friends are going to want to go. Thanks, Ty!”

Ty mock-scowled. “What did I tell you about calling me that?”

Neil chuckled. “Sorry, brat.”

“Then it’s settled. You ring Liam and run the idea past him. When we get home, I’ll talk to the guys and we’ll see who will be willing to help out, assuming Liam’s parents don’t mind.”

Ty smiled as he listened to Neil’s excited voice talking to Liam. From what he could overhear, it sounded like he’d done something right. In his mind, that went part of the way to making up for his fuckup at the game.

Don't forget you can also comment in the discussion forum thread!
Copyright © 2015 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh brat... :no: I'm not sure whether to be exasperated or impressed at Ty's development as a person, but I'll take Patrick's word that the brat's sincere remorse is a good sign. But a two game suspension of the Leopards best player at a moment they've just lost a game is bad. And winning the match will simply reinforce the cockroach's opinion that heckling is worth it. But I shall have my revenge when Ty is drafted by the Blues and the Roach is left behind. :evil:^_^

The idea about the football Clinic is awesome ! Most of Liam's friends probably look up to the local team and having the players interact with Neil and seen as his friends will mess with those stupid high school boys' petty minds and ingrained attitudes. And I'm sure having Todd and Paul looming over them asking Why the fuck they are calling Neil nasty names will do wonders for their behavior. :evil::rofl::yes:

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/30/2015 02:48 PM, Timothy M. said:
Oh brat... :no: I'm not sure whether to be exasperated or impressed at Ty's development as a person, but I'll take Patrick's word that the brat's sincere remorse is a good sign. But a two game suspension of the Leopards best player at a moment they've just lost a game is bad. And winning the match will simply reinforce the cockroach's opinion that heckling is worth it. But I shall have my revenge when Ty is drafted by the Blues and the Roach is left behind. :evil:^_^

The idea about the football Clinic is awesome ! Most of Liam's friends probably look up to the local team and having the players interact with Neil and seen as his friends will mess with those stupid high school boys' petty minds and ingrained attitudes. And I'm sure having Todd and Paul looming over them asking Why the fuck they are calling Neil nasty names will do wonders for their behavior. :evil::rofl::yes:

Thank you! Yes, Ty has matured a lot, but he still has his rough edges. One of those showed up at just the wrong time....
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great chapter. Thanks for keeping a few rough edges in Ty, otherwise the story would be poorer. Ty suffers for our gain!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Contrition and forgiveness are two of my favorite themes. All of us trespass against others and this chapter portrayed that condition so very well. First we have the brat goaded into a physical response. He handled his transgression as honestly as he could. Then we have Liam's mates doing the flip side using social avoidance to affect their friend. We will see how Ty's plan to lure them into seeing the other side of Neil works out. Frankly, it's a brilliant plan I think. Wonderful job Graeme! Can't wait for next week! Thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hi Graeme,

 

Thanks for the next chapter of Leopard Spots.

 

A great chapter again. I love your portrayal of the Brat. His blow up is totally believable, and I love how O'Malley sseems to know that it's not as big an issue as others make it out to be. I am still looking forward to seeing how the Brat will respond when he realises that he was the target all along. I feel it's going to take Dad's intervention to get the Brat to take the draft spot.

 

I like the football clinic option, to allow Liam to have all his friends present for his birthday.

 

Keep up the amazing work.

Lots of loving cuddles,

Maarten

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great chapter, but I first thought, 'Oh no, Ty.' Then I realized that it was a really believable reaction for Ty. The best thing is that he realized his mistake, and is remorseful. He is young, and there's bound to be a lapse in judgement, and he will learn from it. Plus, his heart was in the right place.

Loved the chat between Neil and Ty.

Pits good that Bruce sees that he was too harsh on Liam, and he's lifting the punishment a bit. The clinic is a neat idea so I hope Liam's friends wise up soon as Neil isn't going anywhere.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/30/2015 09:20 PM, Rndmrunner said:
Great chapter. Thanks for keeping a few rough edges in Ty, otherwise the story would be poorer. Ty suffers for our gain!!
Everyone has rough edges :) I don't like perfection, unless the story demands it, like my short story My Roommate's Gay :P
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/30/2015 11:57 PM, Cole Matthews said:
Contrition and forgiveness are two of my favorite themes. All of us trespass against others and this chapter portrayed that condition so very well. First we have the brat goaded into a physical response. He handled his transgression as honestly as he could. Then we have Liam's mates doing the flip side using social avoidance to affect their friend. We will see how Ty's plan to lure them into seeing the other side of Neil works out. Frankly, it's a brilliant plan I think. Wonderful job Graeme! Can't wait for next week! Thanks.
Thank you! Unlike Neil, Ty lives and breaths football. A football solution to a bunch of guys who don't want to go to a party is obvious to him :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/31/2015 03:12 AM, shyboy85 said:
Hi Graeme,

 

Thanks for the next chapter of Leopard Spots.

 

A great chapter again. I love your portrayal of the Brat. His blow up is totally believable, and I love how O'Malley sseems to know that it's not as big an issue as others make it out to be. I am still looking forward to seeing how the Brat will respond when he realises that he was the target all along. I feel it's going to take Dad's intervention to get the Brat to take the draft spot.

 

I like the football clinic option, to allow Liam to have all his friends present for his birthday.

 

Keep up the amazing work.

Lots of loving cuddles,

Maarten

Thank you!

 

The draft is at the end of November, while the story is currently late June. It'll be a few months before the draft happens and, as you've seen so far, a lot can happen in a few months :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/31/2015 05:52 AM, Defiance19 said:
Great chapter, but I first thought, 'Oh no, Ty.' Then I realized that it was a really believable reaction for Ty. The best thing is that he realized his mistake, and is remorseful. He is young, and there's bound to be a lapse in judgement, and he will learn from it. Plus, his heart was in the right place.

Loved the chat between Neil and Ty.

Pits good that Bruce sees that he was too harsh on Liam, and he's lifting the punishment a bit. The clinic is a neat idea so I hope Liam's friends wise up soon as Neil isn't going anywhere.

Thank you! I tried to make Ty's blow-up believable, so I'm very happy that you think it was.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..