Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 8,263 Words
  • 3,400 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leopard Spots - 39. Chapter 39

Monday 2nd June, 2014

Clarissa smiled at Evelyn. It was just before school on Monday morning. “Given that the response to my text on Sunday morning was ‘Fuck off, I’m busy’, I’m guessing you had a good time at the party.”

Evelyn laughed. “Yeah, I did. I’d’ve liked it to go further, but he thought I was a bit young. I persuaded him otherwise Saturday night, but he still wanted to end it when we finished Sunday afternoon.” She shrugged. “It was fun, but he’s probably too old for me. You know these older guys – no stamina.”

“How old is he?” Mary asked. “I didn’t see many old guys, there, and the two I noticed the most were obviously a couple.”

“Twenty-three. Maybe twenty-four. Something like that. Over the hill either way.” Evelyn’s expression went dreamy. “Talented, though.”

Clarissa chuckled. “Okay, I think I can guess who it was, but you don’t need to confirm it.” She glanced at Mary. “What about you?”

Mary blushed and started to avoid eye contact. “I had a good time. I’ve got a date for this coming Saturday night, too.”

“Way to go, girl!” Evelyn said. “Who did you score?”

“I didn’t ‘score’ anyone. I met a nice guy and we had a fun time. We decided we’d like to see each other again.” Mary raised an eyebrow at Clarissa. “What about you and that hunk you spent most of the party dancing with? You told us he was off limits, but you never said that it was because you had a prior claim.”

Clarissa frowned. “I don’t have a prior claim. Deon’s just had a nasty breakup. All he needed was a friend, and that’s what I tried to be. Nothing more.”

“The way he was looking at you, I think he wants more than a friend.” Mary grinned. “I don’t think you’ll object if that turns out to be the case.”

“He’s on the rebound. I’m happy to be there for him, but I don’t think he’s looking for a girlfriend.” When Evelyn and Mary both raised an eyebrow, Clarissa shrugged. “Okay, I won’t say no if he makes me a serious offer, but at the moment it wouldn’t be serious, even if he thinks it is.”

“You’re being a bit harsh, Clarissa. Make him take his time, but don’t put him in the friends-only box too quickly.” Mary glanced around at the other students trickling into the school grounds. “By the way, why are we waiting here?”

“Because this is the best place to spot Neil when he arrives. Liam said he’d be going to meet him at the train station, and I want to check if the two arrive together or if I’m going to pound some sense into one or both of the guys.” Clarissa smiled. “Karen and I have put in too much effort to let those two fuck things up.”

* * *

Neil hesitated after stepping off the train. Liam had said he would be there, but Neil was still apprehensive. A smile flitted across his face when he spotted Liam by the station exit.

Neil approached, noticing how Liam straightened from his slouched posture as a huge grin appeared on his face. Not sure what was acceptable, Neil stopped a couple of steps away and gave Liam a nod. “Hi.”

Liam made an aborted attempt to reach out with both hands, but after Neil flinched, he quickly changed it to a single hand being offered. “G’day.”

The two shook hands while staring at each other’s face. After a couple of seconds, they let go. Liam tilted his head towards the exit ramp from the station. “Shall we go?” He smiled. “Of course, we’re heading to school, so it’s perfectly okay for you to come up with some sort of excuse to head somewhere else, instead.”

Neil chuckled before going serious. “I need good marks if I’m going to get into uni. I think we’d better not skip school.”

Liam sighed as he waved a hand to indicate he wanted Neil to start moving first. “Yeah, I know. I’ve got to work hard for the rest of the year since my goals have changed.”

The two headed down the bitumen path. “What’s changed?” Neil asked.

Liam snorted. “Someone I know is probably going to study in Sydney, and I’ve decided I want to go there, too.” He gave Neil a half-smile. “I’ve already raised the idea with my parents. Now I have to wait for the shock to wear off before I find out if they’ll help me with the costs.”

The smile on Neil’s lips disappeared, and his head dropped. “My parents don’t know. I’m not sure if I should say anything.”

Neil tensed when Liam put an arm across his shoulders, but forced himself to not pull away. They were both known to be gay. A public display of affection shouldn’t cause them any problems.

“Mate, your parents don’t deserve anything from you. They threw away any rights when they forced you out of home.”

Neil pushed Liam away, freeing himself from Liam’s loose one-arm embrace. “They still love me! And don’t call me ‛mate’. We’re not mates...yet.” Neil hadn’t intended for that last word to slip out, but he found he couldn’t keep it in. He wanted to be friends with Liam – more than friends, if possible – but he wanted it to happen gradually.

Liam’s jaw dropped open. “Neil, I...” He screwed up his face for a moment before sighing. It was his turn to drop his eyes to the ground as they walked. “I’m sorry, but your father hit you. How can you say they still love you?”

“They wished me all the best on my birthday. My father even said I was a man now and congratulated me. They’ve been sending me money, and they gave me a new laptop, too.” Neil screwed up his face. “I don’t understand how, but I know they love me. I just can’t trust them.”

“What do you mean, you don’t understand how? You can be a very likeable person, Neil.” Liam chuckled. “But I’ll admit that it took me a long time to see it for myself.”

Neil gave Liam a soft smile. “Thanks. Now, I just need to learn how to return the favour.” He grinned and took a quick step away as he expected a playful response. The grin slipped away when Liam didn’t react the way Neil had thought he would. Instead of a cheeky comeback or a mock punch, the other guy looked crushed. “Liam?”

Neil realised he had made a mess of things. His friends at the Leopards would’ve reacted the way he had expected, but Liam hadn’t. He decided to deal with the matter head on, using the clues that Tony had given him. “Liam’s a jerk.”

Liam’s head snapped around, an expression of horror on his face. Before he could say anything, Neil smiled and continued. “But I’ve met a nice guy called Alf, who’s a lot better. Him, I’m more than happy to get to know.”

Liam’s confusion lasted several seconds. His brow wrinkled. “Is that why you were asking about Alf, yesterday?”

“That’s right. I don’t want to know the jerk. I’d prefer it if he was relegated to ancient history and I never saw him again. But Alf is someone I could go out with.” Neil winked. “As long as he’s not grounded for the rest of his life.”

Liam grinned and reached out to Neil. Neil met him halfway, and the two shared a short embrace.

“Thanks, Neil.” He started to pucker his lips and then quickly glanced around. He grimaced. “Fuck! Neil, while all I want to do is kiss you, I don’t want to scare you off, either.” His eyes were filled with pleading.

Neil stepped back. He saw a few other students looking in their direction, and he swallowed. “I’m...” He shook his head angrily. “Why does it have to be so difficult?”

“We take it slowly.” Liam closed his eyes for a moment. “I don’t want to fuck this up. If I ever start making you uncomfortable, tell me. I don’t want to hurt you, and I don’t want to lose you. I’ll do whatever it takes, Neil. Please believe me.” He opened his eyes and waited anxiously for the response.

Neil stared back and then slowly nodded. He still didn’t know what was going on, but Todd had taught him to trust himself. His gut feeling was that Liam was being honest, that Liam was more Alf than Jerk Face.

* * *

Evelyn gave Liam a crooked smile. “I’m guessing you’re going to be a permanent feature at lunchtimes now.” The original foursome of Mary, Evelyn, Clarissa, and Neil had a new addition.

Liam shrugged. “I guess so.”

“Maybe.” Neil’s calm statement attracted everyone’s attention. He scowled. “Why are you all staring at me?”

“Are you saying Liam’s not invited to join us for lunch?” Clarissa asked in a manner that told Neil he’d better answer the question the way she wanted.

Neil hesitated before answering. The worried look on Liam’s face bothered him more than Clarissa’s tone. “Liam’s spent years showing me how much of a bad guy he can be. I’m giving him a chance to show me a different person, and we both want it to work, but there are no guarantees.”

“No one expects a guarantee, Neil,” Mary said.

Clarissa turned to Liam and fixed him with a quizzical look. “You’re being very quiet.”

Liam shrugged and gave her a wry smile. “Neil and I had a good talk yesterday and another this morning. I understand where I stand.” He pulled a face. “That doesn’t mean I’m not petrified he’ll run away at times.”

Mary’s gaze flicked between the two guys. “So...are you two officially together?”

Liam shrugged, but Neil shook his head. “No.” Neil gave Liam a reassuring smile. “But it’s a possibility in the future.”

Evelyn frowned. “After all this time, after what he’s done for years, why?”

Clarissa glared at her friend. “Don’t forget that we’re also partly responsible for Neil’s isolation. It’s not just Liam that he’s giving a second chance to.”

Evelyn winced and then sighed. “You’re right.” She gave Neil a half smile. “Ignore my question.”

Neil gnawed on his lower lip. He glanced at Liam who was sitting there with an open smile. Neil knew it was up to him as to whether he’d try to explain things to Evelyn, but Liam would help if Neil needed it.

The decision was taken out of his hands when Clarissa changed the subject. “Who do the Leopards play next weekend?”

“Essendon’s VFL team. It’s the Leopards’ last home game until mid-July.” Neil smiled. “I hope none of you girls are Bomber fans.”

After a chorus of denials, Clarissa cocked her head. “Don’t you get to go with the team on their away games?”

“Yeah, but the Leopards also have some weekends without a game coming up. One in June and two in July. That’s going to help them heading towards the finals. More chances to recover.”

Liam grimaced. “Also more chances to lose match fitness. Having a break can be a two-edged sword, Neil.”

“How are the Leopards doing so far?” Mary asked.

“Seven wins, including against last year’s premiers, and two losses. They’re in the top four.” Neil grinned proudly.

Liam smiled back. “They’ve had a good start to the season. I hope they can go all the way to the grand final, Neil. Wouldn’t that be a buzz? Being a runner in a VFL grand final!”

* * *

Neil was just about to leave the room after the last class of the day when his arm was grabbed. He glanced to his side and froze. It had been so long since Doug had bothered him that his mental alarm had been switched off.

“Wh...what do you want?” Neil tried to pull away but it had no impact on Doug’s grip.

Doug glared at the last few stragglers until they left the room and then released Neil. “We need to talk.”

“About what?” Neil started to edge away, but Doug followed up maintaining an intimidating presence.

“Liam.” Doug jabbed a finger towards Neil’s face. “If you hurt him, I can promise you a personally escorted extended trip to hell. The last five years will be a pleasant memory in comparison. Don’t fuck him around.”

Neil went cross-eyed as he kept his focus on Doug’s finger. “I...I wasn’t going to.”

“Good.” Doug stepped back. He stared for a moment and then shook his head. “I don’t know what he sees in you, but I’m not going to interfere.” He scowled. “Unless you fuck this up.”

Neil swallowed. “I...”

Doug pointed a finger towards one of the classroom chairs. “Sit.”

Neil dropped into the nominated chair. He watched Doug nervously. Neil didn’t know what was going on. The only thing he was sure of was that there was no immediate threat of violence. Neil was confident that Doug wouldn’t do that while Liam was happy.

Doug turned his back and ran a hand through his hair. “Liam is...vulnerable. He’s leaving himself wide open to you. You could rip him to shreds if you wanted to.” He glared over his shoulder. “I’m here to make sure you don’t even try.”

Neil stared. “You care...”

Doug spun around. He put his fists on his hips as he leant forward over Neil. “Of course, I fucking care! Liam’s my best mate. I’d do anything for him.” He winced as his gaze lost focus. “Almost anything.”

Neil hesitated for a moment. “Liam told me you got into trouble for covering him while he was at my party.”

Doug snorted. “No big deal, and I’d do it again if I had to.” He narrowed his eyes. “Liam thinks it was worth it. Was it?”

“I think so.” Neil frowned as he stared back at Doug. “I believe he’s being honest, that he really wants me. I don’t know if we’re able to make it long term, but I’m giving it a go.”

Doug leant forward. “If it doesn’t work out, it won’t be because of Liam.”

Neil swallowed as he edged away. “He could be the one to call things off.”

Doug gave Neil a grim smile. “That would make me happy.” He scowled and raised a warning finger. “But that’s not your choice. You’re there to make him happy. If he walks away, you smile and walk in the opposite direction. Got it?”

Neil’s head jerked up and down. He no longer knew how Doug was going to react. It had been easy in previous years: Doug would torment him. It had been even easier over recent weeks: Doug would ignore him. With Neil and Liam starting to explore a possible relationship, Doug had changed again.

“In that case, our talk is done.” Doug gave Neil a last warning glare. “Remember, Liam’s my mate. I stick up for my mates, and if you do anything against him...”

Neil cringed and looked away. “Yeah, I know. You’ve made your point.”

“Good.”

Neil watched as Doug marched to the classroom exit. As his old foe reached the door, Neil realised there was something he had to do while he had the chance. “Doug?”

Doug frowned as he glanced back. “What?”

“Thanks.” When Doug didn’t look like he understood, Neil continued. “Thanks for helping Liam. It’s taken me a while to let Liam in, but I really appreciate what you’ve done to make that happen.”

“I didn’t do it for you.”

* * *

Julie smiled at Charlie. “Today’s your lucky day.”

He didn’t feel lucky. That smile of Julie’s had more than a hint of sadism in it. “What’s happened?” It was just before their Monday-night training session. Charlie had arrived twenty minutes early at Julie’s request.

“I’ve decided to find out if you’re capable of pushing yourself into contests. You’re great at leaping on the loose ball, but we need midfielders who can make the loose ball by extracting it out of packs when there’s a stoppage. You’re hanging back too much, Charlie. We need you to get in there more and get that ball.”

Charlie cringed. He knew Julie’s criticism was accurate.

She frowned. “Charlie, that’s the wrong reaction. You should be asking what you need to do to change. As I told Deon a few weeks ago, champions keep improving. They never stop looking for ways to become better. You have the potential to become a champion. It’s your mindset that’s holding you back.”

Charlie gave her a tentative smile. “In your opinion, who doesn’t have the potential to become a champion?”

Julie laughed. “Okay, you got me. The answer is no one. Everyone has the potential to become a champion at something.” She smiled. “But in your case, you’re a good footballer. I believe you can get better, but you need to believe it, too. That’s why I’ve designed a special training session for you tonight.”

Charlie gulped. He waited to find out what unique form of torture Julie had planned for him.

She laughed. “Relax, Charlie. It’s not the end of the world. Come with me.” She led him to the gym where Dave was warming up on a bike. “Dave, finish up. I’ve got a job for you to do.”

Charlie stared at Dave. As was now his norm, Dave’s expression was hard, discouraging any conversation. Charlie knew it was only a mask, but it was enough to keep most people away.

Julie continued. “Tonight, you’re going to tag Charlie.”

Both guys stiffened. Dave scowled. “Is that wise?”

“Yes, it is.” She jabbed a finger in his direction. “You need to work on controlling yourself, and Charlie needs to work harder to get the ball. This is going to challenge both of you.”

“Why not Jim?” Dave asked as he hopped off the bike.

“Because, for what I want, you’re the better tagger.”

Dave scowled. “Other people don’t think so.”

Julie crossed her arms and stared down her nose at Dave. “Peter and I are the only ones whose opinion counts. Who’s been saying otherwise?”

“Jim’s the one who’s training with an AFL team next Monday.”

Julie frowned. “Who do you play for: the Leopards or the Blues?”

Dave flinched. “The Leopards.”

“Then what the fuck does the opinion of the people at Carlton have to do with anything?” Julie’s expression softened. “Dave, you’re a great midfielder and a strong tagger. So is Jim, but the two of you are different. You’re more physical; he’s faster. You charge through opponents; he slips past them. You can’t compare the way you two play.” She paused and her eyes flicked to Charlie for a moment. “Tonight, you’re the one I want because your style of tagging is what Charlie needs to get better. He needs to play harder, and you’re the right person to teach him how.”

“Last time he ended up injured.”

“Then make sure it doesn’t happen again.” Julie crossed her arms and gave both guys a hard look. “You’ve both got things to work on. Tonight, we start. Any more comments?”

Charlie and Dave exchanged glances. Without speaking, they knew that Julie wasn’t going to back down.

“Good.” Julie smiled. “Now get ready. Training starts in a few minutes.”

* * *

Charlie collapsed at the end of training. He lay there for a moment and then looked up to see Dave standing there with an outstretched arm. Taking the proffered hand, Charlie let Dave help him to his feet. “Thanks.”

“You did well.” Dave gave Charlie a momentary smile. “She’s right, though; you need to attack the ball more.”

“Yeah, I know.” Charlie’s preferred style was to have the ball come to him, rather than go looking for it. It was a style that worked well when he was playing as a forward, but as a midfielder he needed to be more aggressive. “Thanks for all your help tonight, too.”

To Charlie’s surprise, Dave laughed. “You enjoy being knocked around a lot?”

“No way! But you pushed me without pushing me too hard.”

Dave sobered. “You mean that I didn’t cause any injuries this time.”

“That wasn’t what I meant!” Charlie reached over and put a hand on Dave’s shoulder. “I could tell you held back, but you made me work for the ball. That’s what I needed.”

A slow smile appeared on Dave’s face. “And making sure I didn’t hurt you was good for me, too. The psychologist said my anger was probably due to my...er...other problems, but now that I know what’s going on, I shouldn’t have any more serious issues in that area.” He shrugged. “I wonder if he spoke to Julie, since she seems to agree, given what she asked me to do. Either way, I think he’s right. I never felt out of control, tonight.” He gave Charlie a wry smile. “Unlike that other time.”

“It was an accident.” Charlie paused, taking in Dave’s relaxed body language. “Things are going well, then?”

Dave shrugged. “Reasonably well.” He shuddered and lowered his voice. “He’s making me detail what happened. He says I can’t allow myself to ignore it, but I need to face up to it. It’s tough, but I think it’s helping.”

“If it’s helping, then going through the pain now means you won’t have to go through it again later.” Charlie smiled encouragingly.

Dave sighed and nodded. “I know.” He glanced across the oval to where the coaches were standing and then gave Charlie another wry smile. “Unlike Julie, who makes us go through the pain every time we train.”

Charlie laughed. Dave joined in. The two were still grinning when they entered the change room. Dave collected his gear and disappeared so he could have a private shower in the coaches’ room, but it was no longer a furtive escape. Everyone on the team just treated it as something he did – with no special meaning.

* * *

Todd paused between bites of the pork medallions that Neil had cooked for dinner. “You’re being rather quiet.”

Neil shrugged. “Just thinking about something that Liam said this morning.”

Oliver grinned. “What did lover boy have to say?”

He’s not...” Neil grimaced. “We were talking about my parents. I told him about the laptop and the money they’ve sent me, and how my dad wished me all the best now that I’m eighteen.” He looked at Todd, a tortured expression on his face. “It’s been a month. Is it too early to go to see them?”

Paul and Oliver stopped eating for a moment. They looked at Neil and then Todd. Oliver bit his lower lip, visibly stopping himself from saying something.

“Do you want to?” Todd asked while carefully considering the ramifications.

“I don’t know. I thought they’d hate me and would be happy to turn their backs on me when they found out I’m gay, but they haven’t.” Neil dropped his gaze to the plate of food in front of him. “Ty told me not to hate them. He also said to keep the door open. That was for Liam, but I’m wondering if he also meant my parents.”

“The brat’s not stupid.” Todd chuckled. “He’s not always right, but sometimes he gives good advice.”

A smile flashed across Neil’s face as he lifted his head. “Yeah, he’s not always right, even if he wants to think he is.” His expression firmed. “You think it’s okay to see them?”

Todd hesitated before responding. “If you want to give it a go, then yes. I’ll be there, though, just in case.”

“Me, too.” Paul smiled. “I think between us we can handle your father if he tries something.”

Todd spotted Neil’s flinch. “I don’t expect anything will happen, Neil, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. When and where do you want to do this?”

Neil pulled a face. “Not this weekend, but maybe the one after? You guys don’t have a game then, so I thought maybe Sunday afternoon for an hour or so.”

“Sounds good to me.” Todd caught Paul’s eye and received a nod in return. “Ring your parents and check if that’s okay with them.”

Neil swallowed and then nodded his head. “I want to ask Liam if he’ll come, too. I’ll probably have to talk to his parents, though, since he’s grounded.”

Todd grimaced. “Are you sure? We know how your parents are, especially your dad. Do you really want to rub their noses in the fact that you’re gay the first time you see them again?”

“I’m with Neil on this one.” Oliver smiled at the young guy before looking across the table at Todd. “That’s the heart of the issue between him and his parents. If they’re allowed to ignore it, Neil will never know if it’ll be safe to be alone with them. Being told is different from seeing it for yourself. It’s much harder to pretend it doesn’t exist when the situation is right in front of you.”

Todd glanced at Paul, who shrugged. “Ollie’s right. It might even be better this way. The topic won’t need to be raised unless they want to. They just need to see Neil and Liam together. Otherwise, he’ll probably have to talk about it with them, and that’s likely to cause an argument.” Paul turned to Neil. “Am I right? That this is more than just seeing your mum and dad again?”

“Yeah...” Neil screwed up his face. “I’m so confused! I told Liam my parents still love me, but do they? They love part of me, but do they hate that I’m gay? I want to find out. I need to find out.”

Todd stared for a moment and then nodded. “Okay. If you need help with Liam’s parents, let me know.” He paused. “Actually, it might be best if the two of us went to see them. Even if he wasn’t grounded, Bruce and Beth will be unlikely to allow Liam to go see someone who’s known to hit kids. They’ll want to know that Paul and I will be there, too.”

Neil smiled. “Thanks, Todd.”

“How about I ring them after dinner and we go around there tomorrow or Thursday night? Also, do you want to wait until you know if Liam’s coming before you ring your parents?”

“That sounds great. I’ll ring Mum and Dad tonight; I don’t have to mention Liam to them. That way we can confirm when it’ll be.” Neil gnawed on his lower lip for a moment. “Do you think it’ll be okay if we went to their place? I don’t want this to be in public, but I don’t want them to know where we live, either.”

Todd glanced at Paul. “That should be fine. As I said before, I don’t think anything will happen, not with Paul and me both there.”

“Do you want me to come, too?” Oliver asked.

When Neil gave Todd a questioning look, Todd smiled. “Probably not, Ollie. We want enough people to ensure that Neil’s safe, but not so many that his parents feel uncomfortable talking to him.”

“Well, keep me in mind if you need an extra body.” Oliver smiled at Neil. “Just one bit of advice. Don’t have sex with Liam in front of your parents. It doesn’t create a good impression.”

“Ollie!” Todd glared.

Oliver stared back innocently. “What? Are you saying you disagree, and that Neil should have sex while he’s there?”

Neil’s giggle distracted Todd. “Thanks, Ollie, but Liam and I are a long way from needing to worry about that.”

Paul chuckled. “Let’s get back to eating, guys. Neil put in a lot of effort into this dinner. We don’t want it to get cold.” He winked at Neil. “Though I’m curious as to how Ollie knows that sex in front of the parents is a bad idea. Personal experience, maybe?”

Oliver put down his fork for long enough to give Paul the finger. “None of your fucking business.”

* * *

Liam grinned as he spotted Neil getting off the train the next morning. They had chatted online the night before, but Neil had been coy about why he was coming to dinner, and Liam wanted to ask him in person.

“G’day, Neil.” Liam was happy to receive a shy smile in return.

After a handshake, they were soon strolling towards school. “Now that I’ve got you here, what’s going on with tonight? Mum says you’re coming to dinner.”

“Me and Todd. Todd rang last night and organised it.”

“Is this because I’m grounded and can’t go out?” Liam grinned. “Thanks, mate. I really appreciate you doing this for me.”

Neil’s head dropped, and he absentmindedly kicked a loose stone. “It’s not that. At least, not all that. I’m going to ask for a favour.”

“You know I’ll do whatever you want.”

“Yeah, but your parents may not approve.” Neil took a deep breath and looked at Liam. “I’m going to see my parents. Not this Sunday, but the one after. I want you to come with me.”

Liam stumbled in shock but quickly recovered. “Neil, I...”

Neil grimaced. “Yeah, I know. Todd and Paul will be coming with me, but I’d like you there, too. My parents are being nice to me, but no one has mentioned anything about me being gay. I’d like you there with me when I see them again so there’s no mistake. They need to see all of me, not just the part they want.”

Liam frowned. “Your father hit you, Neil.”

“I know, but he’s sorry about that. Over the last month they’ve shown that they care. I don’t want to shut them out, but I don’t want them to think that I’m not gay or let them think that they can ignore it because I never show them...” Neil shook his head angrily. “You know what I mean.”

“Yeah, I do.” Liam put a hand on Neil’s shoulder for a moment. “I’ll be there.”

“Your parents mightn’t allow it. That’s why Todd will be coming with me tonight to help try to persuade them. He’s already given them a heads up, but we’ll talk to them about it after dinner.” Neil smiled at Liam. “If your parents say no, don’t skip out on them. If you did that, they mightn’t allow me to see you at all.”

Liam shook his head. “They can’t stop me. This is my life, not theirs. I’ll pay the price if you want me there, but they have no say in whether or not I go.”

“Please...don’t.” Neil looked away. “I know you’ll be there if I ask, but I don’t want you getting into any more trouble.”

Liam couldn’t help a smile. There were times when he received mixed signals from Neil, but that one was clear. “Okay. Hopefully, they’ll let me go.”

The two walked in silence for a few steps before Neil glanced at Liam. “Who is going to be there tonight from your family?”

Liam shrugged. “My older sister, Charlotte, moved out of home last year, so it’ll just be my younger brother, Noel, who doesn’t live on the same planet as the rest of us.”

“What?” Neil’s eyes were wide with disbelief.

Liam gave him a half-smile. “He lives in cyberland. Apart from meals and school, he stays in his bedroom playing on his computer.”

Neil grimaced. “I can understand that. I did pretty much the same for years.”

Liam mentally kicked himself for raising unhappy memories. “Yeah, but not for the same reason. Noel is...different.” He paused, uncertain of how much more he should say.

“In what way?”

Liam closed his eyes for a moment. He hoped Neil would be understanding. “He’s autistic.”

“Oh.” After a couple of seconds, Neil continued. “What sorts of things shouldn’t I do when I meet him?”

“Don’t worry about it.” Liam grinned with relief. “He probably won’t speak to you when you show up – he’s slow to warm to people – so just say hello and don’t push him.”

There was another pause before Neil spoke. “What’s he like?”

“He’s cool. He and I don’t have a lot in common, but when we do, we get along great. He’s kind and generous, and he can be really funny at times.” Liam caught Neil’s frown. “I mean funny, as in being a comedian, not funny in being laughed at. He’s got a great wit; he just doesn’t use it outside of the family very much.”

“He’s different, but you’re cool with him. I was different, and you spent years laughing at me.” Neil’s tone was flat.

Liam grimaced. “He’s my brother. I grew up with him. He was always different, but he was just being ‛Noel’. You...” Liam dropped his head, “...you were the person who...” Liam couldn’t continue.

It was several seconds later before Neil asked his next question. “Does Doug know about him?”

“Yeah, and he’s cool with Noel.” Liam pulled a face. “The two get along great, actually. Doug’s one of the few people that Noel allows to roughhouse him. There have even been occasions when Doug’s been at my place where he spent more time with my brother than with me.”

“Really?” Neil scowled. “He’s like that with Noel, but he can’t stand me. Why?”

Liam started to get worried. Doug was not a topic that he felt comfortable discussing with Neil. He understood why Neil didn’t like Doug, but Doug was Liam’s best friend. Trying to talk about him was too likely to put Liam in the situation of choosing between Neil and Doug, something he didn’t want to do.

“Can we change the subject? I wanted these times to be about us, not other people.” Liam kept his mental fingers crossed.

Neil frowned in thought for several seconds and then nodded. “Okay.”

“Thanks, mate.”

Neil scowled. “We’re not mates, yet.” A momentary smile flashed across Neil’s lips. “But we’re getting there.”

* * *

Julie watched Ty and Jim for a few minutes as they worked on their now-regular Tuesday morning endurance runs. She then headed inside to Peter’s office.

“Have you got a minute?” she asked.

Peter pushed his keyboard to one side and smiled. “Of course. Any excuse to avoid paperwork.”

Julie chuckled as she stepped in and closed the door. “I wanted to talk about Jim. There’s something strange going on, and I don’t like it. I think he’s being set up for something, but I don’t know what.”

Peter waited until she sat down. “Are you talking about Dad’s invitation to train with Carlton next Monday?”

“Yes.” Julie scowled. “He’s a good player – close to AFL level, in my opinion, though I don’t think he’s quite there – but Ty’s better. Why Jim and not Ty? It doesn’t make sense. One thing I’ve learnt is when something doesn’t make sense, there’s the danger of someone getting hurt.”

Peter leant back in his chair and steepled his hands. “This goes no further than this room. Not even to Will and definitely not to any of the players.” He waited for Julie’s nod. “Carlton is interested in the brat. They’ve had one of their staff try to question me about him, which is how come I know. They’re not saying they’ll draft him, but they’re watching. My best guess is that this is all a ruse so they can evaluate the brat up close.”

Julie frowned. “Why? Why not just ask Ty to train with them or even just have a chat with him after training one night or after a game?”

Peter smiled. “Tactics. Carlton appears to think that none of the other AFL teams are interested in the brat, and they don’t want to draw any extra attention to him. In particular, they don’t want any of the other clubs to know they’re looking at the brat. The main clue for me was the fact that they said Dad could bring a teammate. They know that Dad and the brat have a close relationship because I told them, so they probably expected the brat to be that teammate.”

Julie nodded slowly. “And because of his minor-celebrity status, any media in attendance will concentrate on Jim and not Ty. And the media will almost certainly be there, since having an outsider join in a training session with an AFL team at this time of the year is odd enough to attract attention.” She paused as a thought ran through her mind. “But they’ll still see Ty if they bother to look, so it’s not like he’s being completely hidden.”

“My understanding is that the brat won’t be training. He’ll be there, but he won’t be joining in.”

“Then why have him there at all?” Julie shook her head. “It doesn’t make sense.”

Peter shrugged. “Carlton appears to think it’s worthwhile. I don’t understand everything about what’s going on, but I’m confident that it’s the brat that they’re interested in.”

“Does he know this?”

“No, and we’re not going to tell him.” Peter leant forward to emphasise his words. “The brat took it really hard when he wasn’t drafted last year. If we build him up and he doesn’t get drafted again this year, he’ll be destroyed. He doesn’t deserve that.” He paused and caught Julie’s eye. “You mentioned earlier the danger of someone getting hurt. You were right. The brat’s draft opportunity will depend on his performance on the field. Saying anything to him won’t change that, but it might lead to unrealistic expectations on his behalf. So we say nothing.”

Julie grimaced. “Yeah, I understand. I don’t have to like it, but I understand.” She knew that only a handful of VFL players were drafted each year. Ty had a chance, but it was by no means a certainty.

* * *

Neil bit his lip before turning to Liam. “I’m sorry, but Tuesday’s when Clarissa and I have a coffee after school.” It was the end of the school day, and the other students were streaming past them on their way home.

Liam looked puzzled. “Yeah, I know. I joined you the other week when Jim and Ollie were here for the footy clinics.”

Neil pulled a face. “Do you mind if you don’t join us this time?” He gave Liam a smile. “You can join us in the future if Clarissa doesn’t mind, but I want to talk to her in private about something.”

Liam’s brow was wrinkled, but he had a smile on his face. “Sure, if that’s what you want. I’ll be seeing you tonight for dinner, anyway.”

Neil smiled back and put a hand on Liam’s arm. “Thanks, Liam. I really appreciate this.”

After saying goodbye, Neil watched Liam disappear into the crowd before heading to the coffee shop where he would be meeting Clarissa. There was a particular subject he wanted to talk to her about, and he didn’t want Liam around when he did so.

Clarissa was waiting for him, a cafe latte already in front of her. She raised an eyebrow as he sat down opposite her after ordering his coffee. “I expected Liam to be with you.”

“He wanted to come, but I asked him not to. At least, this time. I said he could join us in the future if you said it was okay.”

She smiled. “Of course it’s okay. He can be a jerk at times, but overall he’s a good guy.”

Neil grinned sheepishly. “Yeah...”

Clarissa laughed. “You’re blushing. Whatever you do, don’t tell me what you’re thinking about, because I probably don’t want to know.”

Neil dropped his gaze. His face felt like it had gone even redder. “Are you okay talking about him? Liam being your ex, I mean.”

Clarissa sighed. “Normally, an ex is the last thing any girl will want to talk about with her ex’s new partner, but you and Liam are in a special category. Go ahead. What is it about him that you want to talk about?”

“Actually, it’s not exactly about him.” Neil took a deep breath and looked up. “How much did you have to do with Doug while you were going out with Liam?”

“Doug?” Clarissa’s eyebrows rose. “Why would you...?” She winced. “Ah...gotcha. The two aren’t precisely joined at the hip, but sometimes it felt like it.”

Neil pulled a face. “Liam told me that Doug’s been pushed down below me on his priority list. He said that Doug doesn’t mind, but I’m hoping you’d have a better idea of how Doug’s likely to react.”

Clarissa winced. “I expect him to come out swinging. He’s jealous of anyone getting between him and Liam. He’d act like a jilted boyfriend.” She paused. “I wonder...”

“Doug’s straight. Liam told me that, and I believe him. Doug even said...” Neil’s voice trailed off as he thought about the conversation he’s had with Doug after school on Monday.

“What did he say?”

“He told me he’d do almost anything for Liam. He made it clear he didn’t think I was good enough for Liam, but he wouldn’t interfere as long as Liam was happy.”

“That sounds like Doug. There was one time last year when he tried to come down heavy on me. He was hinting that Liam wanted sex and that I should give in. I told him no. He tried to put pressure on me to say yes.” She gave Neil a wicked grin. “He didn’t try again after that. I made it clear to Liam where I stood, and he was fine with waiting.” She chuckled. “I didn’t know then that he had another reason for not having sex at that time. I’m guessing that it was before Liam came out to Doug.”

Neil swallowed and started to tense up. “Does that mean he’s going to tell me that I have to...?”

Clarissa frowned. “Yeah, he probably will at some point. I suggest you talk to Liam about it as soon as you can. If you’re not on the same page, Doug will side with Liam, and he can be pretty nasty.”

The coffee that Neil had ordered arrived at that time, and Neil took the opportunity to give himself some thinking time while taking a sip. “Thanks, Clarissa. I’ll talk to him tonight if I get a chance.” Neil grimaced. “I don’t want to talk about sex – it’s too early – but if you think I should, I’d better get it over with.”

“Neil, don’t do anything you don’t want to do. Besides sex, that includes talking about subjects you’re not comfortable with.” She leant forward. “If you like, I’ll have a word with Liam and make sure he keeps Doug under control.”

“No!” Neil shuddered at the thought of how that conversation would go.

Clarissa smiled. “Relax. I won’t mention this discussion at all. I’ll just remind Liam of my time with Doug and point out that if Doug tries that with you, it could wreck everything he’s trying to do.” She cocked her head. “And it would, because he’s looking for something long term with you. That means not forcing things before you’re ready, and that’s what Doug would do.”

Neil stared nervously at his coffee. “Maybe I’m better off getting out before things go too far. I could be happy with Liam, but if Doug’s going to be hovering in the background, I don’t think things will work.”

“Don’t give up too quickly.” Clarissa pulled a face. “Much as I hate to say it, Doug can be a good guy, too. He’s got a lot of rough edges and a particularly severe nasty streak, but he’s extremely loyal. He makes a good friend and a formidable enemy.” She paused in thought. “But even there, he knows when to cut his losses. He never tried much after Liam broke up with me. That might be because his initial focus was on protecting Liam from the homophobes, but even after that he’s largely ignored me.”

Neil grimaced. “But you haven’t been his personal target of opportunity for the last five years. Is he going to give that up?”

Clarissa smiled. “He will, if that’s what Liam wants. In the past Doug would tell Liam what he should think, but Liam’s standing up for himself more and more. I can’t say for sure, but I think Doug will back off.”

Neil’s shoulders dropped, and he nervously wiped his face with his hand. “But only as long as I’m going out with Liam. If it doesn’t work out, I’m going to be in trouble.”

Clarissa stared for a moment and then reached across the table to take Neil’s hand. “I’m sorry, but you might be right. I’m hoping you’re not, but when it comes to Doug, I wouldn’t put it past him to take revenge on you if things go pear-shaped.” She scowled. “But if that happens, come and see me. Since I pushed the two of you together, I have to take some responsibility if things don’t work out. I’ll deal with Doug if it comes to that.”

Neil sighed and then gave her a weak smile. “Thanks, Clarissa.” He cocked his head as a thought struck him. “It mightn’t be that bad. I only really need to stick things out until the end of the school year. Once school is over, I can get away. Doug’s not going to follow me to Sydney.”

“Sydney!” Clarissa’s jaw dropped. “You’re really thinking of going?”

Neil frowned. “You know about that?”

Clarissa shrugged sheepishly. “Deon’s dad told me about it when they drove me to the party. But I never thought you’d seriously consider the offer.”

Neil smiled “It’ll be the perfect escape from Doug.” He grimaced. “But if things work out between Liam and me, it’s going to put a strain on the relationship.”

Clarissa sighed. “You don’t have life easy, Neil. I wish there was something I could do about that, but I’m sorry.”

Neil shrugged. “Things can change. There’s a lot of time between now and the end of the year.” He grimaced. “As long as Doug doesn’t get nasty, I should be fine. There’s plenty of time for something to happen to make things easier.”

* * *

Todd grinned at where Neil was helping Liam clean up after dinner. “I think the boys want to get the chores done as quickly as possible.”

Bruce Bellweather chuckled. “Liam’s certainly working quicker than normal. He started clearing the table as soon as Noel headed to his room.”

Beth raised her voice. “Liam, Neil, if you’d like to come back here, there are things we need to talk about.” She smiled. “I’ll finish up once we’re done.”

“Thanks, Mum!” Liam grinned as he led Neil back to the dinner table.

Bruce frowned at Liam as the two boys sat down. “Todd told us last night about Neil wanting to see his parents. He then said he wanted you there with him when he did so.”

Liam nodded. “Yeah, he told me this morning. I want to go.”

“It could be dangerous,” Beth said. “We don’t want you hurt. Neil’s father may be sorry he struck Neil, but if he snaps again, it might be you he hits.”

“Paul and I will both be there to make sure that doesn’t happen.” Todd smiled. “You haven’t met Paul, but he’s bigger than me.”

Beth blinked. “Oh, my...” She turned to Neil. “Is this the same Paul who drove you here on Sunday?”

“That’s right. And if my dad goes for Liam, I’ll be there in front of him.” Neil had his lips set in a firm line. “If he goes for either one of us, it’ll be the last time I see or speak to him. I won’t let him hurt Liam.”

“And I won’t let him hurt Neil.” Liam gave his mum and dad a hard stare. “Neil deserves to know where he stands with his parents. I want to be there to support him. If being there proves his parents are homophobes, everyone is better off knowing that now. Otherwise, we mightn’t find out until Neil’s alone with them...and that might be too late.” He put an arm across Neil’s shoulders. “I don’t want to take that risk.”

Neil swallowed and then shuffled closer to Liam so the two faced Liam’s parents as one. “I promise you: I won’t let my dad touch Liam.”

Bruce narrowed his eyes. “You’re going to incite him into doing something.”

Neil shook his head. “The only thing we’ll be doing is holding hands.” He reached over his shoulder and pulled Liam’s arm back onto the table. He clasped Liam’s hand. “Like this. If that sets off my dad, there’s no hope for him.”

Liam eyed his parents. “There will be four of us: Todd, Paul, Neil, and myself. We’ll be safe.”

Bruce Bellweather turned to his wife and raised an eyebrow. She smiled back at him. Bruce turned back to Liam and Neil. “Correction: there will be five. I’ll also be there.” He smiled. “But I’m proud of you, Liam. You, too, Neil. I hope it all works out, but I want to see what happens with my own eyes.”

Todd sat back, a smile on his face. He was also impressed by Liam and Neil. The two appeared to make a good couple.

Don't forget you can also comment in the discussion forum thread!
Copyright © 2015 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Damn, out of likes, you'll have to wait until later. Although I'm not sure you deserve one, since you now have us waiting anxiously for TWO future events ! :angry: Jim and Ty going to Carlton and Neil and Liam visiting Neil's parents. But I guess anticipation is sort of fun. :unsure::lol:

Trust Julie and Peter to work out what is going on with Jim, Ty and Carlton. :) But they've forgotten what Ty's main problem was, the one that kept him from being drafted. This is actually a good sign of how far Ty has progressed in getting rid of the chip on his shoulder. But now I'm worried about how the Carlton people will test him, if he's not training. If they are stupid enough to provoke him with taunts about Jim, they deserve whatever happens. On the other hand Ty is clever and he certainly recognizes provokative behavior from his father. If he connects the dots and realizes they only invited Jim to be able to get close to Ty, I think they might be in for a surprise. Ty is perfectly capable of saying he wants to play wherever Jim is - although I understand he can't refuse the draft, right?

Good news about Dave, and I'm liking Julie more all the time. The Leopards are lucky to have her. I'm sure Peter appreciates her, he trusts her too.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/02/2015 03:05 PM, Timothy M. said:
Damn, out of likes, you'll have to wait until later. Although I'm not sure you deserve one, since you now have us waiting anxiously for TWO future events ! :angry: Jim and Ty going to Carlton and Neil and Liam visiting Neil's parents. But I guess anticipation is sort of fun. :unsure::lol:

Trust Julie and Peter to work out what is going on with Jim, Ty and Carlton. :) But they've forgotten what Ty's main problem was, the one that kept him from being drafted. This is actually a good sign of how far Ty has progressed in getting rid of the chip on his shoulder. But now I'm worried about how the Carlton people will test him, if he's not training. If they are stupid enough to provoke him with taunts about Jim, they deserve whatever happens. On the other hand Ty is clever and he certainly recognizes provokative behavior from his father. If he connects the dots and realizes they only invited Jim to be able to get close to Ty, I think they might be in for a surprise. Ty is perfectly capable of saying he wants to play wherever Jim is - although I understand he can't refuse the draft, right?

Good news about Dave, and I'm liking Julie more all the time. The Leopards are lucky to have her. I'm sure Peter appreciates her, he trusts her too.

No, Ty can't refuse the draft. Part of the processing of nominating for the draft is to agree to accept a two year contract with whatever club drafts you. The players don't get much say in the matter, apart from making their preferences known beforehand. Only the really strong prospects will do that, though, and they'll only do it rarely, because it's a big risk -- the other clubs may decide that they're not worth picking, and if the club they wanted doesn't select from for any reason, they miss out.

 

I don't know why you're waiting anxiously for Neil's visit to his parents. What could possibly go wrong? 0:)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I really hope that Neil's talk with his parents works out. Liam's father meeting Neil's father might also be a good thing. Maybe there will even be a talk between the two of them about having a gay son at some point?

 

I'm also looking forward to Jim's training session. Perhaps Ty will finally be seen as he really is. He can't have that much more bad luck. :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/02/2015 09:54 PM, Sammy Blue said:
I really hope that Neil's talk with his parents works out. Liam's father meeting Neil's father might also be a good thing. Maybe there will even be a talk between the two of them about having a gay son at some point?

 

I'm also looking forward to Jim's training session. Perhaps Ty will finally be seen as he really is. He can't have that much more bad luck. :D

Sometimes, two parents talking about an issue can help. Other times, it just makes thinks worse. We'll have to wait and see which is the case here.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

They do appear to be a good couple.

Let see, so much to digest in this chapter. There is the overall idea which seems to be everyone moving forward and getting beyond previous problems. For Dave, this involved working against Charlie without going too far.That scene was pretty indicative of the entire chapter. Liam and Neil are negotiating the terms of their dating, if not their relationship. Clarissa is watching from afar but starting to think more about her own life beyond the boys.

Meanwhile, we have the team eyeing Ty and figuring out how to engage him, or not. Once again, a good plot thread showing how we carefully assess our impressions of others in order to make a decision about their worthiness.

Which leads to the upcoming meeting with Neil's parents. Everyone is unsure yet somewhat open to see how the Rosewoods react to Neil. Their plan to show them how Neil is unequivocally gay, yet wants to have a relationship with them, is a good one. Having backup is probably best, not because Neil's father is going to hit anyone, but because it should give Neil the confidence to be honest. Of course, I don't know what's going to happen. Phil appears to be ruing his behavior. I doubt he's going to be physically domineering. I'm sure you'll wow us so I'm not worried.

Anyway, awesome chapter Graeme. I'm obviously drinking in and relishing the story as usual. Can't wait for next week. Thanks for sharing with us.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm really happy to see Dave doing better. Julie is a great confidence booster. The politics of this AFL business is maddening.

I'm kind of glad that Neil will have a show of force with him. Neil is coming into his own and growing in confidence. Wanting to have Liam with him says so much about how far he's come, and who he is. I was worried that Liam being there would take away from the chat with his parents, but I get it. He is willing to accept that his parents still love him, and willing to give them a chance to accept him but on his terms not hiding who he is. Brave boy. And then there's Doug.....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/02/2015 11:19 PM, Cole Matthews said:
They do appear to be a good couple.

Let see, so much to digest in this chapter. There is the overall idea which seems to be everyone moving forward and getting beyond previous problems. For Dave, this involved working against Charlie without going too far.That scene was pretty indicative of the entire chapter. Liam and Neil are negotiating the terms of their dating, if not their relationship. Clarissa is watching from afar but starting to think more about her own life beyond the boys.

Meanwhile, we have the team eyeing Ty and figuring out how to engage him, or not. Once again, a good plot thread showing how we carefully assess our impressions of others in order to make a decision about their worthiness.

Which leads to the upcoming meeting with Neil's parents. Everyone is unsure yet somewhat open to see how the Rosewoods react to Neil. Their plan to show them how Neil is unequivocally gay, yet wants to have a relationship with them, is a good one. Having backup is probably best, not because Neil's father is going to hit anyone, but because it should give Neil the confidence to be honest. Of course, I don't know what's going to happen. Phil appears to be ruing his behavior. I doubt he's going to be physically domineering. I'm sure you'll wow us so I'm not worried.

Anyway, awesome chapter Graeme. I'm obviously drinking in and relishing the story as usual. Can't wait for next week. Thanks for sharing with us.

Thank you! I'm not sure what else I can say without potentially giving out spoilers...
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/03/2015 05:47 AM, Defiance19 said:
I'm really happy to see Dave doing better. Julie is a great confidence booster. The politics of this AFL business is maddening.

I'm kind of glad that Neil will have a show of force with him. Neil is coming into his own and growing in confidence. Wanting to have Liam with him says so much about how far he's come, and who he is. I was worried that Liam being there would take away from the chat with his parents, but I get it. He is willing to accept that his parents still love him, and willing to give them a chance to accept him but on his terms not hiding who he is. Brave boy. And then there's Doug.....

Thank you! To be honest, I think I'm downplaying the politics of the AFL business, but then the business itself is still evolving. The way things were done twenty years ago is very different in many respects to the way they're done today. As part of the research for this story, I read the Nathan Buckley biography and the machinations of the clubs before he started playing in the AFL were incredible. I'm guess that those sort of things still occur, but are much more closely scrutinised now than they were then.

 

Essentially, all the clubs are constantly looking for a way to get an edge over the other clubs. If being sneaky to pick up a highly-talented player is required, then they'll be sneaky...as long as they don't violate any explicit AFL regulations. Of course, that doesn't stop them stretching and distorting those regulations until they're on the verge of breaking, but as long as they don't break the regulations....

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I keep wanting to see the good side of Doug and it just isn't happening. While his attempts to protect Liam are well meant, his intimidation tactics are just an extension of his former bullying and likely to do more harm than good. I'm pretty sure Liam would be horrified if he knew about it. :no:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/04/2015 05:16 AM, impunity said:
I keep wanting to see the good side of Doug and it just isn't happening. While his attempts to protect Liam are well meant, his intimidation tactics are just an extension of his former bullying and likely to do more harm than good. I'm pretty sure Liam would be horrified if he knew about it. :no:
Doug has a good side. Even Clarissa sees that:

 

Clarissa pulled a face. “Much as I hate to say it, Doug can be a good guy, too. He’s got a lot of rough edges and a particularly severe nasty streak, but he’s extremely loyal. He makes a good friend and a formidable enemy.”

 

The problem is how to make him your friend. If you manage that trick, you've got a very loyal friend on your side. Then the problem becomes one of how to make sure he doesn't go overboard in protecting you....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..