Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 9,702 Words
  • 3,432 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leopard Spots - 55. Chapter 55

Friday 19th September, 2014

“Welcome back, listeners. It’s time for Joe’s favourite part of the show: our Friday-morning, AFL- match preview. Helping us out in the studio, we have Paul Crowman and Jim Henderson from the Lilydale Leopards Football Club. Welcome, guys.” Michelle smiled at the two guys sitting opposite her and co-host Maria at the Pride FM radio station. “We’re at the pointy end of the season with the preliminary final between Sydney and North Melbourne tonight and Hawthorn verses Port Adelaide tomorrow. The winners will meet next week in the AFL grand final.”

Maria grinned. “But before we do that, Joe has, as always, found a way to keep these two hunks in the studio for longer than they really need to.”

Paul chuckled. “Joe is consistent. I have to give him marks for that. What is it this time? An interrogation of what it’ll take for me to go on a date with him?”

Joe switched on his microphone in the booth next to studio. “A great idea, Paul, but we’ll keep that one for next week. We’ve got something much more special planned for today.”

Paul and Jim exchanged looks. “I don’t like the sound of that,” Paul said.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll manage.” Michelle winked. “What we want you to do, without any chance to prepare, is give us a preview of that other football match this weekend.”

“Which match?” Jim asked.

“The VFL grand final on Sunday between the Lilydale Leopards and Footscray at Etihad Stadium.” Maria smiled. “Do we really need to ask who you think will win?”

Paul grinned. “Not really. We’re both hoping it’ll be the Leopards, but our coach would kill us if we stated that’s the result we expect. We’re going to have to work hard for the win.”

Jim nodded. “The only time we met Footscray during the season was back at the start of May, a game they won. That was the start of their winning streak; they’ve only lost one match since then. We believe we can give them another loss, but we’re fully aware of how tough that will be.”

Michelle gave the guys a thumbs-up. “For any listeners interested in seeing the Leopards in action – and we hope that’s most of you – tickets are available from Ticketmaster or at the Etihad Stadium box office on Sunday. The game kicks off at 2:15 pm and we’re looking for a lot of people to join us in cheering on the Leopards to victory. Pride FM will be operating on a skeleton staff that afternoon because most of us will be at the match. Ticket prices are very reasonable, with $20 for an adult, $15 for a concession, and children fifteen and under are free, though you still need to get them a ticket. It’ll hopefully be a great day out. We’ve posted further details on our website, so go check it out.”

Paul’s eyebrows rose at the unexpected plug for the game. He glanced at Jim, who shrugged and then smiled his thanks at the show’s two co-hosts.

Maria turned to Jim. “We know we’ve put you guys on the spot, but what can you tell us about the team preparations? Anything special you want to mention?”

Jim pulled a face. “We’ve got our final training session tonight, and everyone is waiting anxiously to see how the brat pulls up in his fitness test.”

“Who’s the brat?” Michelle asked.

“Ty Flanders. One of the most talented footballers I’ve ever seen, and I don’t mean just in the VFL. In my opinion – and I hope he’s not listening because I don’t want him to get a swollen head – he’s equal to many of the AFL players in the competition already.” Jim shrugged. “There are certainly superior players, but he’s still very young. He’s got the potential to be even better than he is now, and that’s already a high standard.”

“Ty injured his knee two weeks ago in the semi-final against Williamstown,” Paul said. “He’s been working his guts out trying to get ready for this match, and we’re all hoping he’ll pass the tests and be declared fit to play.”

“Well, we hope so, too.” Maria smiled. “How have your supporters been reacting? Anything unusual to report in your local area?”

Jim narrowed his eyes. “Who’s been talking? You obviously know what’s been going on.”

Michelle grinned. “Yes, we know. Your young runner Neil Rosewood was working here at Pride FM last night, and he gave us the inside story. How about you tell the listeners what’s been happening in Lilydale?”

“I’m going to have to have a word with Neil when he gets home tonight.” Paul chuckled. “Okay, since you already know, the Lilydale community has rallied behind the team, and there’s massive support from not only all the businesses in the area, but also the council. The main street through Lilydale is decorated in brown and black, and there are signs everywhere showing the community’s support for the team.”

Jim shrugged. “We’ve also got family members coming from everywhere for the grand final. Deon’s father’s flying down from Sydney, and Charlie’s parents are driving from Echuca.”

“That’s Deon Bradshaw and Charlie McDonald,” Michelle interjected.

“Roger…Roger McDowell’s sister is on her way from Brisbane with her family, and Owen Driver has a cousin who’s flying in from New Zealand. This is the first time the Leopards have been in a grand final for over a decade, and everyone is extremely excited. Our biggest challenge is to stay calm and not let the event overwhelm us. We’re trying our best to treat this as just another game, but it’s difficult.”

Paul nodded. “There’s a lot of pressure on us, and that’s going to take its toll. We’re hoping that Footscray will be under just as much pressure since this is their first season in the VFL, but they have a number of AFL players from the Western Bulldogs on their team and the support of the other AFL players from their club. As Jim said earlier, it’s going to be a tough game.”

Maria caught Joe’s signal to wind up. “Well we wish you both all the best, and we’ll be there to watch you on Sunday. However, it’s now time to get back to what we’re here for. Tonight’s AFL preliminary final between the Sydney Swans and North Melbourne in Sydney. Jim, what do you think? Are the Swans too strong for the Kangaroos?”

Jim pulled a face. “On paper, I’d say yes, but you can never underestimate any team that’s made it this far in the competition. Sydney have certainly had more finals experience than the ‘roos, which is definitely a factor in their favour, as is the home-ground advantage...”

* * *

Liam and Clarissa glanced once at the packed grandstand and then found themselves a spot along the fence surrounding the Lilydale Leopards football oval. They weren’t alone, with several hundred other Leopard supporters also gathered to watch the team’s final training session before the grand final.

“It’s almost like there’s a match on tonight.” Liam grinned. “It’s a bigger crowd than I ever saw at any of my games.”

Clarissa chuckled. “I know. I’ve been to a number of them, remember.”

Liam paused. “Please don’t take this the wrong way, but for a moment I’d forgotten that we used to date. Now that I’m with Neil...” He smiled sheepishly.

Clarissa’s forehead wrinkled, and her eyes narrowed. “I haven’t forgotten...” She smiled. “But I have forgiven. It took me a little while, but Neil’s helped me understand what it must be like to be hiding in the closet. I don’t really know what it’s like, but I think I can appreciate why you found it necessary to pretend.”

Liam shrugged. “I did like you – and I still do – but it wasn’t in the way that you thought I did or in the way you deserve. What I feel for Neil is completely different.”

Clarissa slipped her arm into Liam’s. “And that’s fine. If you hadn’t come out when you did, I wouldn’t have forced myself onto Neil as a form of payback, and he would still be a stranger to me. I’m so glad he’s not. A pity he couldn’t be here with us tonight.”

Liam sighed. “He headed off to Pride FM soon after school finished. He didn’t really want to go to work – he wanted to be here – but he knows he has to save up for next year. I think it’s almost definite that he’ll be moving to Sydney, because I’m sure he’ll get into a university up there.”

“What about you?”

“I’ll be going, too. Mum and Dad have hinted that they’ll give me some financial help, but I’m going to have to find a job once I’m there to help pay the bills. That’s going to be a pain, but it’s either that or I give up Neil. It’s a no-brainer.”

Clarissa nodded slowly. “I’m going to miss you guys, but you’d better stay in touch or else...” A roar from the gathered supporters redirected their attention. “Here come the players!”

“While I remember, did Deon get you your ticket?”

“He said he’d give it to me after training.” Clarissa snorted. “If I was cynical, I’d say that was a ploy to make sure I was here tonight.”

Liam chuckled. “Possibly, but he probably just likes seeing you, and any excuse will do. Anyway, if you hadn’t been able to make it, I’m sure he would’ve dropped the ticket off to you tomorrow.” Liam watched the players for a moment and then smiled. “Ty’s with them, and I can’t see any sign that he’s favouring his sore knee. That’s promising.”

Clarissa pulled out her phone and started typing.

Liam flicked her a puzzled look. “What are you doing?”

“Karen’s working tonight, but she wants to know how Ty goes. She’s too impatient to wait for him to tell her at the end of training, so she asked me to give her updates as training progresses.” Clarissa glanced up at the light towers. “I don’t think photos or video would come out too well, so it’ll just be text messages.”

“Okay.” Liam pulled out his own phone. “I’ll do the same for Neil. This is one of the reasons he wasn’t keen about working tonight.”

Clarissa chuckled. “Is there anyone else we need to keep informed?”

Liam grinned back at her. “Not that I can think of. What about that AFL scout who spoke to you a couple of weeks ago? Should we tell him?”

“Nah.... He can find out for himself on Sunday.” Clarissa dropped the light-hearted tone and stared out across the oval. “I hope Ty does well. He’s going to be really disappointed if they decide he’s not fit enough to play.”

* * *

Julie frowned. “Again, but this time dodge to the right.”

Ty nodded and returned to his starting position for the drill. The coaches were testing his agility to make sure he could change direction freely off both legs.

“So far, so good.” Peter and Jackie were nearby, watching Ty work out while Will ran the rest of the team through a light training session. “Any concerns, Jackie?”

“No, but we’re not finished yet.” She smiled. “It’s a promising start, though.”

“How much more agility work do you need to see?”

“I’ve already seen enough. If you’re happy, then you can move him onto the next set of tests.” Jackie smiled at the head coach. “I’ve already given him the okay. These tests are more for you than me. I’m just here in case I see anything that concerns me. To be honest, Julie’s just as likely to spot that stuff first, but it doesn’t hurt to have a second pair of eyes looking for problems.”

“Okay, thanks.” Peter raised his voice as Ty completed another round of the agility drill. “Julie, time for some contested work. Use Dave, Paul, and Dad.”

Julie lifted a hand to acknowledge the instruction and then scowled at Ty. “Sprint to the far goal posts and back. Go!” As he ran off, she jogged over to Will and spoke quietly. By the time Ty was back, Julie had returned with some of Ty’s teammates.

“Match practise, guys. Dave, Paul, I want you going all out against the brat. For the next fifteen minutes, he’s an opposition player and deserves no mercy. Dad, you’re feeding the brat the football.”

Jim frowned. “Is it wise for Dave and Paul to go out all? What if the brat gets injured again?”

“Do you think Footscray will take it easy on him on Sunday?” Julie shook her head. “They know he’s been injured, and if he plays, they’re going to assume he’s not 100% and will try to take advantage of it. I want to find out what happens now, not on Sunday.” She glanced at Ty. “Ready?”

Ty’s expression was one of determined concentration. “Ready.”

“Then let’s get started. We’ll start with handballs and tackling. Dave, Paul, if he’s not eating grass most of the time, I’ll be working on you next.”

With that threat hanging over Ty’s opponents for the exercise, the four started work. If Ty made it through successfully, there would be little doubt as to whether he was fit to play.

Peter smiled as Paul and Dave did their best to keep Ty contained, but the younger player was too agile. Peter didn’t think that Ty was moving as fast as he could, but he was moving as fast as needed.

Despite Julie’s statement to the contrary, Peter was concerned about possible new injuries, so he indicated to Julie to cut the exercise short after a little more than eight minutes. The four players then shifted to a contested marking drill, again with Jim kicking the ball to Ty.

“He’s looking fine to me,” Jackie said several minutes later. “How much more do you need to see?”

“Not much. A few stop-start sprints and we’ll be done.” Peter smiled. “Thanks, Jackie.”

“Don’t thank me. Ty’s done all the hard work. I’ve just made sure he’s done it in a controlled way.”

“And that’s what I’m thanking you for.” Peter winked. “I’ll wait until after he’s finished his sprints before I tell him the good news. He’s playing on Sunday.”

* * *

Peter had to whistle loudly to cut through the exuberant congratulations that rang through the change room with the announcement to the team that Ty had been declared fit to play.

“Since we’ve got lots of visitors tonight, I’m doing the team briefing now rather than later.” Peter grinned. “Don’t worry, I’m going to keep it short since we went through the game plan on Wednesday night. The key message I want to pass on tonight is to relax. I don’t want you doing anything too energetic tomorrow. I also don’t want you lying around worrying about Sunday. Go off and play a round of golf, see a movie, or just spend some time with family and friends. Do your best to forget about the game that’s coming up and just enjoy tomorrow. I’ll see you all here Sunday morning for the bus trip into the city.”

As the players started to get ready for their showers, Paul grinned across at Oliver. “You heard him, Ollie: nothing too energetic. What are you going to tell Helena? I noticed her in the crowd tonight, so don’t take too long in letting her know the bad news.”

Oliver raised his middle finger. “Fuck off, Paul.” He shrugged. “Peter also said I should be spending time with family and friends. That means spending as much time as I can with her.”

“Yeah, but no sex. You don’t want to get too tired.”

“I’ve never had that problem so far. Why should this weekend be any different?” Oliver smirked as he undid his football boot laces. “However, I’ve decided I’m not doing anything. I’m going to just lie there and let Helena do whatever she wants. If that involves sex...well...I’m not the one doing it.”

The other guys listening in laughed. Ty and Jarrod bumped fists with Oliver before Ty glanced at Jim. “What about you, Dad? Is Tony banished for the weekend, or are you going to do an Ollie and lie there and take it like a man?”

Jim gave him a long-suffering look. “I thought you didn’t want to know what we got up to.”

“I don’t, but as your vice-captain, I need to make sure you’re doing your bit for the team, especially when it comes to vices.” Ty smirked. “I think that means not spending half of Saturday alone with Tony, like I believe you’ve got planned.”

Jim rolled his eyes before stripping off his training top. “Tony has to go to the airport to pick up some sponsors. He’s asked me to go along. The only time we’ll be alone is in the car on the way there, and I don’t think that Peter would consider that as being ‘too energetic’.”

“Right...” Ty dragged out the word to show his scepticism. “And who’s going to verify this unlikely story?”

“How about I introduce the sponsors to you before the match? Would that satisfy you?”

Ty shrugged. “Maybe. I’ll see what they have to say. Who are they?”

“No idea. Tony said they were flying in from Adelaide. I’ll find out when they arrive.” Jim grabbed his towel as he finished undressing. “Did you say you’re going out for lunch tomorrow?”

“Yeah. Karen and I are going with Neil to his parents’ for lunch.” Ty grinned. “I’ll catch up with you in the afternoon. Not that I’m chaperoning, but I want to make sure you and Tony don’t get up to anything you shouldn’t.”

Jim lifted his gaze to the off-white ceiling. “What did I do to deserve this?”

* * *

Deon leant over and gave Clarissa a kiss. “Thanks for coming.” The two were just inside the clubroom along with a crowd of Leopard supporters talking about the just-completed training session.

Clarissa tried to give him a hard look, but it was spoilt by the upward curl of her lips. “I didn’t have much of a choice. If I wanted my grand-final ticket, I had to be here.”

“Just a sec.” Deon rummaged in his bag for a moment and then pulled out an envelope from which he extracted a set of ticket still joined together. He ripped off one at the perforations. “Here you are.”

Clarissa frowned as she put it away. “Who are the other tickets for?”

“Two are for Dad and Marcus, and the other one’s for Kev.” Deon smiled. “I’m off to pick up Dad and Marcus from the airport now, and I’m catching up with Kev for dinner tomorrow night so I can give him his ticket then. Would you like to come, too?”

“Now or tomorrow?”

“Either, but I was mainly asking about tomorrow.” Deon’s face went red. “I’d like him to meet you so he’ll know someone else when he’s at the game.” He shrugged. “At the moment, he’s met Dad and Marcus once, and that’s it. He doesn’t know anyone else.”

“Okay, since you asked so nicely. A girl always likes to be invited to dinner as an afterthought. It makes her feel so special.”

Deon dropped his gaze. “Sorry.”

Clarissa laughed. “Don’t be, I’m teasing. When’s Kevin flying in from Sydney, and who’s picking him up?”

“Saturday, and his parents will be collecting him. He’s at Sydney’s AFL preliminary final tonight, cheering on his teammates. If they win, he’s going to try to get tickets for the grand final next weekend. Would you like to go?” He grinned sheepishly. “I know it’s another footy event, but it’s the last one of the season. Kevin should be able to get us good seats through his club.”

“The last one of the season...until the following weekend when you have the draft camp and then a couple of weeks later when then Leopards have their awards night.” Clarissa abandoned the dry tone and reached up to give Deon a quick peck on the lips. “I’d love to. Attending an AFL grand final at least once should be on everyone’s list of things to do.”

Deon gave her a hug and another kiss. “Thank you, but I have to go now. I don’t like leaving my Dad waiting at the airport for me to collect him.”

Clarissa smiled and gave him a small shove. “Go. I’ll see you tomorrow. Say hello to Sam and Marcus for me.”

* * *

The next morning, Ty hobbled his way into the kitchen. Ryan was already there, munching his way through his usual breakfast cereal.

“Brat!” Ryan’s smile quickly changed to a frown. “Your knee’s playing up?”

Ty shrugged. “It has been each morning. It gets better after a bit of time, but it’s still sore.”

“Are you going to be okay?”

“Once I’ve had a painkiller injection, I’m fine.” Ty waved a hand to dismiss the matter. “What are your plans for today?”

“Fiona and I are going shopping. It’s her father’s birthday next week, and she wants my help with buying him a present.” Ryan grinned. “It shouldn’t be too hard; her dad’s recently taken up fishing, so she’s going to get him some gear. After that, we’re off to see a movie. What about you?”

“Karen’s coming here to pick me up, and then we’ll collect Neil before we head to his parents’ place for lunch.” Ty glanced around to make sure they were alone. “After that, we’ve got a surprise planned for Dad; I just hope it’s before Karen has to go to work.”

“What sort of surprise?”

Ty shook his head. “Tony’s organised it, I don’t want to mess it up. Sorry.”

“That’s okay. I hope it all works out. You can tell me all about it tonight.” Ryan looked past Ty. “Morning!”

Ty spun around and then grinned with relief when he realised it wasn’t Jim who had just entered. “G’day, Deon.”

“Brat, Ryan.” Deon stretched his arms. “I hope everyone else slept well, because I had a shocking night.”

“Why’s that?” Ty asked.

Deon gave him a wry half-smile. “Nerves...and the game’s not until tomorrow afternoon.”

Ty frowned. “That’s not good. You’re going to be worn out if you don’t get a decent sleep.”

“Yeah, I know. I’m almost tempted to have a few drinks tonight, but I won’t.” Deon grimaced. “I just hope tonight is better.”

Ryan smiled. “Go to the club and see if they’ll organise some sleeping pills for you. It’s not ideal, but it’s better than being exhausted tomorrow.”

“Thanks, Ryan. I’ll do that.” Deon sighed. “I need something to calm myself down.”

“Yeah, good idea.” Ty grinned. “That way Deon will be able to sleep like a baby.”

Deon glared while Ryan chuckled. “Brat!”

* * *

“Thanks for coming to the airport with me.” Tony and Jim were waiting for the arrival of the flight from Adelaide.

Jim shrugged. “They’re sponsors of the club, and they’re flying in to see us play tomorrow. You’ve got to be here to meet them, so it makes sense that I’m here, too. After all, if it wasn’t for people like them, we wouldn’t have a club and we wouldn’t be in the grand final.”

Tony grinned. “Very true.” He had told Jim that he needed to pick up a couple of supporters who were flying in from South Australia. Jim had assumed that – like Marcus and Sam – they were interstate sponsors of the club who had donated money at the start of the season to keep the club afloat. Tony hadn’t corrected him.

Jim smiled at Tony. “What are we doing after we drop off the sponsors at their hotel?”

“I thought we’d go out for something to eat. Nothing flash, as I know you don’t want to load up too much before the final but somewhere relaxing. How about lunch at the Olinda Creek Hotel?”

Jim shuffled uncomfortably as he tugged on his Leopards jacket that Tony had insisted he wear. “Can we go somewhere else? Somewhere out of Lilydale?”

“Why?” Tony chuckled. He already knew the answer.

“I’d like to spend some time with you without someone coming up every couple of minutes to wish me all the best for the game. That’s not going to happen anywhere in Leopard country.”

Tony raised an eyebrow. “Leopard country? That’s a new one.”

“Ollie coined it last night at training, and the brat jumped on the phrase.” Jim smiled. “So did most of the team. We’re all impressed and a little over-awed by the attention we’re getting. The local community has gone overboard with showing their support.”

“Okay, if it helps you relax, we’ll go eat somewhere in Ringwood. By the way, Ty looked fine from what I saw last night, but what’s the official word? Did Jackie and Peter give him a clean bill of health?”

“They did.” Jim’s smile broadened. “He did everything they asked of him and even went up against Dave and Paul in a number of drills. They’re happy that with an injection before the game, he’ll be able to play.” Jim shrugged. “His knee was sore this morning, but he said that’s been the case all week. Once he gets it moving and warmed up, it feels better. He said he’ll need the painkiller to be able to play, but he’s feeling confident.”

Tony glanced at the airport gate where passengers were starting to disembark. To maximise the surprise, he tried to keep Jim distracted.

“I’m guessing you’ll want a quiet night tonight. Whose turn is it to cook?”

“Mine.” Jim chuckled. “Would you believe I had to think about that? This week has been so chaotic that it’s been difficult to maintain any sort of routine. Between the brat’s rehab and the general hype, Peter’s instruction to keep things as normal as possible was doomed to failure.”

“Ty did at one point suggest you stay the night at my apartment, but I told him that wouldn’t be a good idea. Was I wrong?”

Jim blushed. “Probably not. I’m going to need a good night’s sleep, and having you in the bed next to me would be a little too distracting.” He gave Tony a shy smile. “It might’ve been okay, but...”

Tony was saved from responding by the arrival of his two guests.

“Jim!” Jessica Henderson rushed forward and gave her son a hug. “It’s so good to see you again.”

“Mum?” Jim glanced past her. “Dad? What are...” As his mother let go and his father stepped forward with an outstretched hand, Jim gave Tony a dirty look. “This was all a setup. There’s no sponsors, are there?”

Tony smirked. “Your parents donated their son to the team. I think that makes them sponsors.” He smiled nervously at Jim’s mother, very much aware that this was the first time they’d met since Jim had told them he’s gay and that the two of them were now a couple. “G’day, Jessica. I think the surprise worked.”

Jessica chuckled and then surprised Tony by giving him a hug, too. “As if we’d miss his big day. He should’ve known better.”

“So the weekend plan you couldn’t get out of was coming here?” Jim smiled at his father.

Philip Henderson grinned. “Tony had already booked our flights by that stage.” He shrugged. “What could we do?”

Jim raised a warning finger at Tony. “Just you wait...” He then smiled, moved over, and gave Tony a quick kiss on the lips. “That’s a promise,” he whispered.

Tony was in shock for a moment. Jim had been slowly becoming more comfortable at small signs of public affection, but the last thing he had expected was to be kissed not only in a crowded airport, but also in front of Jim’s parents. While he was recovering, Jim slipped his hand into Tony’s and then turned to his parents. “Let’s go collect your luggage.”

* * *

Tony smiled as Jim chatted happily with his parents while Tony concentrated on driving. There had been a few embarrassing questions early on from Jim’s father about their relationship, but it had quickly become apparent that there was no uneasiness. Uncertainty, yes, but that was merely because the older couple didn’t really know what being gay meant, and they were trying to learn. Their love for their son and their respect for his decision about his partner came through loud and clear. Tony knew he would have his turn at being interrogated by Jim’s father, but that would be when Jim wasn’t around.

They were well on their way to Ringwood before Jim asked where his parents would be staying while they were in Melbourne.

“Tony found us a nice couple who are putting us up for a couple of nights,” Jim’s mother said. “He gave us their phone number, and we’ve already spoken a few times. It’s kind of them to take us in, and if we can do some good while we’re there, I think that’s what’s now called a win-win.”

“Do some good?” Jim glanced at Tony before returning his attention to his parents in the back seat. “What do you mean?”

Tony bit the bullet. “They’re staying with Neil’s parents. He asked them, and they said yes.”

Jim stiffened and sat back in his seat. He stared out the front window of the car, but Tony could see that his lips were tight.

“Before you jump in, Jim, Tony explained everything to us, and we spoke to the Rosewoods before we made a final decision. Phil seems a nice guy, and Mary is wonderful. She’s just a little unsure, just like we were when you first told us you’re gay.”

“Neil’s father hit him.” Jim’s tone indicated his disapproval.

“Yes, we know. And it’s Neil who asked that we stay with his parents. Tony went around there to check things out, and he’s told us we’ll be safe. Don’t worry; we’ll be fine.”

Jim’s scowl didn’t last as an expression of worry took over. He looked at Tony. “When did you go there, and who did you take with you?”

“Tuesday, and I went by myself.” Tony glanced to his side before returning his attention to the road. “I wasn’t going to let your parents stay there without checking it out for myself.”

“You could’ve gotten hurt!”

“Neil thought it was safe. I went to see if he was right. I told his father that I’m your boyfriend, and he thanked me for telling him. He’s over the anger he had when Neil left home.” Tony’s gaze flicked to the side again. “Please...trust me.”

Jim sighed. After a few seconds he nodded. “Okay.”

* * *

“They’re here!” Neil jumped away from the window, raced to the door, and opened it before Jim and his parents were halfway across the front yard. “Jim!”

Ty chuckled as he glanced at Karen. “Even I’m not that excited to see Dad.” He couldn’t help flick his eyes across to where Phil and Mary Rosewood were standing. Neil’s mother was wringing her hands.

Karen lowered her voice. “He’s hoping Jim’s mum will help his. He’s got a right to be excited, but I hope he doesn’t end up disappointed.”

Ty nodded but didn’t reply. Instead, he sat with Karen in the lounge room while Neil greeted his guests. Phil and Mary Rosewood waited behind their son.

“Philip, Jessica, it’s nice to finally see you,” Mary said as Jim and Tony brought in a pair of suitcases.

“The same here, and thanks again for letting us stay.” Jessica Henderson reached into her handbag and pulled out a small present. “It’s not much, but I hope you like it.”

“Oh, you shouldn’t’ve.” Mary smiled before accepting the gift. “Please, come in and take a seat. Would you like a tea or coffee? You must be hungry after your flight.”

“No, it’s okay. We ate on the plane.” Jessica smiled back before glancing at the hallway that led off the entranceway. “Where can we put our luggage?”

Mary turned to her husband, but Neil jumped in before she could say anything. “I’ll show you.”

Jim grinned. “Mum, Dad, why don’t you stay here and get to know the Rosewoods while Tony and I put your suitcases in your room?”

“Thank you, Jim.” Jessica turned back to Neil’s mother. “Is that offer of a cup of tea still open, Mary?”

“Of course!” Mary waved a hand towards the passageway on the other side of the entrance area. “Come in and take a seat.”

Before the ladies moved, Neil’s father stepped up to Jim. He straightened his shoulders and looked Jim in the eye. “I owe you an apology. Back in May, when Neil first left home, I said a lot of things that weren’t true and should never have been said. Can you forgive me?”

Jim stared for a moment and then gave Mr. Rosewood a faint smile and a nod of the head. “That was a long time ago. You and Mary have shown how much you care for Neil since then, and that’s all that’s important.”

Phil nodded back. “Thank you.” He turned to his son. “Neil, after you’ve taken them to the guest bedroom, feel free to show Jim and Tony around the house if you like. I want them to be comfortable with Jim’s parents staying here.” He smiled at Jessica and Philip. “There’s someone waiting for you in the lounge room.”

Jessica looked puzzled until she glanced into the indicated room. “Ty!”

Ty stood up and grinned. “Grandma, Grandpa!” He limped over and gave Jim’s mother a kiss on the cheek. “It’s good to see you again. “Do you remember Karen?”

“I do.” Jim’s mother smiled. “It’s a pleasure to see you again, dear. I hope you’re keeping our favourite grandson out of trouble.”

Ty laughed. “I’m your only grandson, Grandma.”

“Which automatically makes you our favourite.” Jessica winked at Karen. “Of course, that also means you’re also our least favourite, too, but we won’t mention that.”

Karen grinned. “That’s the way I feel about him at times, too.” She wrapped her arm around Ty’s. “But he’s worth it...usually.”

Mary Rosewood wore a faint frown. “I didn’t know that Ty was related.”

“Ty considers himself to be Jim’s son, so that makes him our grandson.” Jessica chuckled. “It was quite a surprise to us when we found out. It’s not every day that you learn you have an eighteen-year-old grandchild.”

Mary nodded slowly. “So, he’s not really your grandson.”

Jessica shook her head. “Yes, he is. He mightn’t be our flesh-and-blood, but he’s still our grandson. Family isn’t always determined by an accident of birth.”

“But...” Mary glanced at Ty and then back at Jessica. She was obviously perplexed.

Jessica moved next to Ty and put an arm around his waist. “If Neil married a girl, wouldn’t you consider her to be a daughter, even though she’s not your biological child? If Neil adopted a baby, wouldn’t you love it like any other grandchild? What difference does a biological link make? We’re all children of God, aren’t we?” She smiled up at Ty. “As far as Philip and I are concerned, Ty is family, regardless of who his parents are. That fact that he considers Jim to be his dad is enough for us.”

Jim’s father moved up next to her and nodded. “Yes, it’s unusual, but we think of Ty as family. One day, Jim and Tony will hopefully adopt or foster a baby, and then we’ll go through the more traditional grandparent roles, but for now we have someone we’re proud to call our grandson. What’s more important than that?”

Mary Rosewood stared and then looked away. “I need to put the kettle on. Phil, can you ask them what they’d like to drink while I’m in the kitchen?”

* * *

“Thanks for taking us home,” Neil said as Tony drove them back to Lilydale.

Jim snorted as he turned around and glanced at Neil. “We didn’t have a lot of choice since the brat failed to mention until after she’d left for work that Karen was the one who took you two to your parents’ place.”

“You should’ve been able to work that one out for yourself.” Ty, who was sitting in the back of Tony’s car, winked at Neil. “You know that I really shouldn’t be driving at the moment.”

“Yeah, but you could’ve organised something instead of springing it on us without warning.” Jim settled back into the front seat. “I’d planned on having some lunch and then taking my folks out for the afternoon.”

“They obviously needed a rest, and they’re getting along like a house on fire with Neil’s mum and dad, so you were free to give us a ride. You can grab a bite to eat when we get home.” Ty grinned. “What’s your problem?”

Jim shook his head. “I should’ve expected it from you, but I’m surprised that Karen left without having things organised.”

“When she asked about how we were getting home, I told her that you were taking us. I just didn’t mention that I hadn’t told you.” Ty shrugged. “Anyway, you’ll see Grandma and Grandpa again tonight when we all go out for dinner.”

Jim was caught between exasperation and amusement. “A dinner that you invited yourself to. It was going to be just the four of us.”

Tony chuckled. “Actually, no, it wasn’t. We’ll be going out with Stacey, Charlie, and his parents. Charlie asked me during the week where he should take his parents. He mentioned he’d be introducing Stacey to them, too, so he wanted somewhere decent without being too flash. We’re going to The Firehouse in Ringwood. It’s more expensive than your parents would probably want, so we’ll need to chip in for them, but as long as he pays his own way, Ty’s welcome, too.”

“See, Dad, even Tony agrees with me! You were just being selfish, not allowing me to see my grandparents.”

Jim rolled his eyes. “If it wasn’t for the fact that Mum and Dad go along with you calling them that...”

Ty grinned. “You’re jealous. I think Grandma and Grandpa like me better than you.”

While Neil grinned and Tony chuckled, Jim sighed heavily. “Sometimes, brat...” He shook his head.

* * *

At dawn on Sunday morning, Charlie padded down the hallway to the kitchen to be greeted by the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and the sight of one of his housemates. “You’re up early.”

Jarrod chuckled. “So are you. How are you feeling?”

“Like my stomach is full of butterflies.” Charlie glanced at the pot of coffee and then mentally shook his head. He decided that while he rarely drank herbal drinks, a jasmine tea would be better than overloading with caffeine.

“Same here.” Jarrod leant over his mug and took a deep breath. “I haven’t been this nervous since I had to get up in front of the school and make a speech. I was only fifteen and I almost threw up.” He grimaced. “I’m trying to decide if a big breakfast would be a mistake.”

Charlie put the kettle on. “Not having a decent breakfast would be a bigger mistake. We’re going to need a lot of energy for the match this afternoon.”

“Which is still eight hours away.” Jarrod stared at his drink. “I’m thinking a light meal now, and a bigger snack mid-morning.”

“Don’t forget we’ll be having lunch at eleven before we get on the bus.”

“I know, but if I eat now, I’m going to need something before then.” Jarrod sighed. “Peter kept telling us to stick to our normal routine, but getting up this early has fucked up that idea.”

“Yeah, I know.” Charlie echoed the sigh. “I woke up a little while ago but couldn’t get back to sleep. At least, I was in bed reasonably early.”

“Speaking of which, how was dinner last night?” Jarrod asked.

“It was great! Jim’s parents got along really well with mine, and the brat was his usual self.” Charlie chuckled. “Ty’s invited himself to Echuca to stay with my parents and to Adelaide to stay with Jim’s — both over the Christmas/New Year break. I don’t know how he’s going to manage that in addition to spending time with Karen, but he seems confident he can do it.”

Jarrod grinned. “I’m sure he can. Whether Karen will go along with it is another question, but even there I wouldn’t bet against him.”

“Me, neither.” Charlie sighed as he put a teabag into a cup and waited for the kettle to boil.

“Since, like me, you’re up at the crack of dawn, what are you planning on doing to fill in time?”

Charlie shrugged. “Maybe some study. That should take my mind off things...assuming I can make myself concentrate.”

“At least you’ve got that. I don’t know what to do with myself, but if I don’t do something, I’m going to be a nervous wreck by lunchtime, and I know it’s going to affect my game.”

“Try listening to music. Something restful.”

Jarrod snorted. “I don’t have anything like that on my phone. All my stuff is loud and energetic.”

As the kettle whistled, Charlie considered the options. “Borrow mine. I’ve got a couple of easy-listening playlists configured. I usually use them on the train when I don’t want to have to think.” Charlie poured the water into the cup with the jasmine teabag.

“Sounds perfect!” Jarrod grinned. “Not thinking is exactly what I need to do. Thanks, Charlie.”

Charlie smiled. He had intended to listen to those tracks himself while he read a textbook in the lounge room, but he could listen to the copy on his computer, instead, though it wouldn’t be as convenient.

* * *

“It’s good to see you, Helena. We missed you last Sunday.” Paul grinned as he put down a platter of grilled bacon.

Helena smiled. “That turned out to be a bad idea, so we’ve gone back to the old tried-and-tested methods of getting ready for a game.” She slipped a hand onto Oliver’s thigh. “This time Ollie’s managed to get a good night’s sleep.”

Paul frowned at his housemate. “Exactly how much sleep did you get last night?”

Oliver grinned. “Enough. That’s all you need to know.” He winked at Neil. “Someone told me that sex is a good way to relax. It turns out that Neil was right.”

Todd rolled his eyes as he placed a jug of orange juice in the middle of the table. “Did the relaxing really need to take place through most of the night?”

“If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing properly.” Oliver grinned. “And often.”

“As long as you’re not too tired for the game...” Paul gave Oliver a hard stare.

Oliver waved a hand to dismiss the idea. “I’ll be fine. Helena and I are planning on spending most of the morning relaxing, so I’ll be fit and ready when it’s time to leave.”

Todd scowled. “Ollie...”

Oliver grinned. “I think you’ve got a dirty mind, Todd. What exactly do you think Helena and I will be doing?”

Todd threw up both hands. “I don’t want to know.”

“Good. I hope that attitude applies to Neil, too.” Oliver raised an eyebrow at the young man. “I believe someone is planning on spending the night elsewhere tonight.”

Neil stiffened. “How...?”

Helena chuckled. “Sorry, Neil, that’s my fault. I was at the training session on Friday, and I overheard Liam telling Clarissa that you’re staying at his place.”

“Is this true?” Paul asked.

Neil’s head jerked up and down. He dropped his head.

Todd glared at the others at the table. “Leave him alone. Liam’s coming to the dinner at Crown Casino and then I’m taking him and Neil home. That’s all you all need to know, so drop it!

Neil quietly started eating. He and Liam weren’t sure if anything was going to happen that night, but they both knew they would have the opportunity.

* * *

Mary Rosewood glanced around the stadium as she walked up the stairs to their assigned row. “I can’t believe my little boy is part of this.”

Jessica Henderson chuckled. “Neither can I. Jim’s dreamt of playing football in a place like this, but to actually see it happen...” She turned to the two gentlemen following. “How long until the game starts?”

“About twenty minutes.” Jim’s father smiled. “We’ve got plenty of time.”

“Mary!” Glenda Williams smiled as she stood up. “I hope you don’t mind, but since I was organising all the tickets, I’ve put you up here along with some of the more...mature supporters.” She winked. “The younger folk are mainly further down, closer to where the action will be, as are the older but louder crowd.”

Neil’s mother smiled. “Thank you, Glenda. That was very kind of you. Glenda, this is Jessica and Philip Henderson. They’ve come over from Adelaide to see the match.” She turned to Jim’s parents. “Glenda is the front-office manager at the football club.”

Glenda’s smile widened. “Pleased to see you again, Jessica, Philip.” She grinned at Neil’s father. “Having two Philips is going to get confusing.”

“Call me Phil and Jim’s dad Philip. That’s the best we’ve come up with.” His expression changed to one of puzzlement. “Philip and Jessica were saying earlier that they didn’t know anyone at the club apart from a few of the players.”

Glenda shrugged. “It was before the season started when they came over for Jim’s birthday. They met a lot of people that night, so I’m not surprised they don’t remember.” She moved across and exchanged a peck on the cheek with Jim’s mother. “Tony told me that since Ollie’s surprise at that party went so well, he wanted to do the same.”

Jessica laughed. “I think this one was just as good – possibly better.” She saw Mary’s perplexed look and explained. “Ollie had arranged for Philip and me to show up without notice at Jim’s 21st. That was where Glenda met us, though I can’t remember her.” She smiled at Glenda. “I hope you’ll accept my apologies for that.”

“No need. I had two people to remember, you had a lot more. Please take a seat. We’ve still got time, but we might as well get ourselves settled.”

While the ladies chatted, Phil Rosewood scanned the stadium. He turned to Jim’s father. “There are already a lot of people here. I had the impression from Neil that the crowds were usually smaller than this.”

“I heard the same from Jim. He told me last year that they rarely got over a thousand spectators to a match, though I believe the numbers have been higher this year. Still, I don’t think it’s been this many.”

Neil’s father nodded slowly. “I believe the capacity of the stadium is around 50,000. I’d estimate that it’s currently about...” he paused and looked around again. “...a quarter full. That makes it a bit over 10,000. A good-sized crowd, and there’s still more arriving.”

* * *

“Clarissa! I’ve finally found you.” Kevin grinned. “You’re not sitting in the seat that’s on your ticket.”

Clarissa shrugged. “I was told we’ve got the entire section booked out, so as long as no one complains, we can sit wherever we want.” She smiled. “Girls, this is Kevin, a friend of Deon’s. Kevin, this is Mary and Evelyn, friends of mine from school, and Helena, Karen and Stacey.”

Kevin grinned. “May I join you?” He gave the girls an appreciative look. “The scenery is much better up here.”

Mary blushed, but Evelyn and Helena laughed. Evelyn nudged her school friend. “Move over Mary. He can sit here between the two of us.” Evelyn winked at Kevin. “We’re the two single girls; the rest are all taken.”

“Sounds perfect.” Kevin flicked Clarissa a quick glance, as if he was looking for her approval before taking the seat that Mary had just vacated.

Evelyn smiled as she focused her attention on the newcomer. “So, where have you been hiding? Clarissa hasn’t mentioned any hunky single friends of Deon to us before.”

Kevin shrugged. “Sorry, but I just flew down from Sydney yesterday. I’ll be here for a few weeks, but then I have to fly back and start work again.”

“What do you do?” Evelyn ran a hand lightly over Kevin’s bicep. “You’re certainly keeping in shape.”

“I have to stay fit for my job. It involves a lot of physical activity and keeps me busy.” He smiled. “But I’ve got some time off now. Maybe you can show me around while I’m down here in Melbourne?”

Karen snorted. “You didn’t tell her what you do for a living, Kevin. Are you shy?”

Clarissa chuckled. “I doubt it. I think he’s trying to be modest.”

Kevin shrugged. “This is Deon’s day, not mine. The focus should be on him and his teammates.” Kevin smiled at Evelyn. “I’m a professional footballer.”

“He plays for the Sydney Swans,” Clarissa added. “He had his AFL debut three weeks ago.”

Evelyn’s eyes opened wide. “Really?” A broad grin appeared on her face.

Kevin grinned back. “It was five weeks ago, but I had my second game with the seniors two weeks later in the last game before the finals. When I get back, I have to start work to try to break into the seniors as a regular player. That’s going to be tough.”

Clarissa rolled her eyes. “Before you get too settled, Kevin, there’s a few other people I should introduce you to.” She caught the momentary glare from Evelyn. “I’m sure the guys from school would like to meet you, too, and it’ll be good for you to know them in case you need a testosterone fix.”

“I’m sure he doesn’t need anything like that,” Evelyn said quickly.

Kevin stood up and winked at her. “I’ll be back. I promise.”

As soon as they were out of earshot, Kevin smiled at Clarissa. “She’s nice.”

“She is.” Clarissa grinned. “And, in case you didn’t realise it, we’ve just started the two-week break between terms three and four. Evelyn’s supposed to be studying, like Mary and me and the guys you’re about to meet, but I’m sure she’ll make time for you...if you’re interested.”

Kevin frowned. “How old is she?”

“She’s eighteen. She had her birthday back in February.” Clarissa frowned. “Why were you worried? Even if she was seventeen, it’d still be legal.”

He shrugged. “The club doesn’t like even a hint of scandal, especially on things like this. It’s better to be safe than sorry.”

“Fair enough.” Clarissa spotted the group she was looking for. “Come with me and I’ll introduce you to the guys.”

Not waiting, Clarissa edged her way along the narrow gap between the seats in the current row and those in the row below it. As she approached, Liam stood up to greet her. “Clarissa!”

The two exchanged a kiss on the cheek. Clarissa then glanced past Liam to Doug and the other guys in the group that Liam had organised. “Guys, this is Kevin, a friend of Deon’s. Kevin, this is Liam. Liam’s another friend of mine from school. I’ll let the other guys introduce themselves.”

“G’day!’ Kevin smiled and waved a hand in a lazy greeting.

“Just so you know, Liam’s my ex. We’re still friends, though, and Deon knows about Liam. He’s not jealous.”

Liam and Doug both burst out laughing. “Yeah, I think that’s a fair-enough statement,” Liam said. “Where do you know Deon from?”

“I used to play football with him a couple of years ago.” Kevin shrugged. “We lost track of each other last year, but we caught up again a couple of months ago. Since I was free, I thought I’d come see him play today.”

“Do you still play football?” Doug asked. “If you ‛re looking for someone to play with, we’ve got some vacancies in our local team.”

Clarissa put a hand on Kevin’s hand to forestall a response. She smiled at Doug. “He does, but he’s not that good. He’s been trying to break into his club’s senior team, but he only managed two games last season.”

Kevin snorted. “Yeah, I suppose that’s one way of looking at it. I did play in the grand final for our seconds team last week. Unfortunately, we lost.”

“Sorry to hear that. Which team do you play for?” Doug asked.

“It’s a club up north, not in Melbourne.” Kevin shrugged and gave them a sheepish smile “You may not have heard of them.”

“One of the country teams?” Doug shrugged. “Okay, I probably wouldn’t have.”

Kevin shrugged. “It’s not important.” He glanced down to the oval below. “It looks like they’re preparing for the players to come out. Do you know much about the two teams?”

Clarissa put a hand on Kevin’s arm to attract his attention. “I’ll leave you with the guys. You know where we’re sitting. Don’t take too long or Evelyn will probably come searching for you.”

Kevin laughed. “I can’t have that. Tell her I’ll be back soon.”

* * *

Helena had a huge grin on her face when she returned to the other girls. She had volunteered to make a quick – or as quick as possible – run to the nearest food station for a collection of snacks and drinks.

“What’s made you so happy?” Karen asked as she helped hand out the food.

“Something I saw while I was waiting in line.” Helena chuckled. “Ollie’s going to get a swollen head from it. I just hope it’s after the game and not beforehand.”

“You’ve lost me.” Karen glanced at the other girls, but none of them appeared to have any idea, either.

“You remember a couple of weeks ago, when Ollie lost his shorts during the match?”

“That was on a Sunday. I was working, though I heard about it. Why?”

Helena snickered. “Someone got a good photo. There was a bunch of guys showing off a banner they made for some of their mates. It had a photo of Ollie at both ends in his underpants and the words ‘Ollie, Ollie, Ollie! Oi! Oi! Oi!’ in between.” She grinned. “I’m sure Ollie won’t mind the attention, even if he’d prefer it to be a bunch of girls holding up the banner.”

Karen laughed along with the other girls. She recognised the wording as a playful alteration of the Australian sporting chant of ‘Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!’. “You didn’t ask them for a copy of the photo?”

“I thought about it, but I would’ve had to leave the queue. I decided I can go looking for the guys at quarter time. They shouldn’t be too far away from this section.”

“They might even be in this section.” Karen waved a hand at the various clusters nearby. “There are certainly a lot of openly gay guys in the area.”

“Then keep your eyes open, everyone.” Helena smirked. “I want a copy of that photo!”

* * *

There was a roar from the crowd as the Footscray players ran out onto the oval. It was followed by an even louder roar when the Leopards appeared.

Jim wasn’t alone in staring up in wonder at the crowd; half the team were doing the same. He’d never seen that many people at any of their matches. He had overheard one of the ground staff saying that they’d sold over 20,000 tickets, but seeing all the spectators in person made that number hit home. The brown-and-black slightly outnumbered the red-and-blue representing Footscray, but there were so many of both that Jim was awestruck. That feeling was amplified by the smattering of rainbow banners that Jim knew were largely for him.

“Fuck...” Ty’s exclamation was barely audible, but the shock on his face was quickly replaced with determination. “Let’s give these people something to celebrate.”

The two teams lined up opposite each other, with the VFL premiership cup on a stand between them. While the national anthem was sung, Jim couldn’t help being overwhelmed by the situation. He was standing there in the middle of Etihad Stadium, arm-in-arm with his teammates, about to play the biggest game of his football career in front of the biggest crowd he’d ever seen outside of the AFL. The ABC television cameraman who filmed the line of players during the singing just added to the unreality of the scene.

The crowd roared again when the national anthem concluded. As the line of players broke up and they started to get themselves ready, the stadium’s siren sounded. Workers quickly removed the microphone and other equipment, while the television crew left the ground.

The Leopards gathered around their head coach for a last-second pep talk. Peter stared around the group for a moment and then smiled. “Back in March before the season started, I said it was the year of the Leopard. I was right, but the year’s not quite over. It’s time to show everyone why we’re here.”

After a collective shout of agreement, the team dispersed. Jim headed over to the far side of the oval to his usual place on the wing. He glanced down the ground to where Ty, Roger, and Deon formed the heart of the forward line, and then in the other direction at where Todd, Paul, and Ward were the defensive core.

Jim was soon joined by a Footscray player. His opponent smiled and nodded his head. “Here’s to a great game.”

Jim smiled back. “May the best team win.”

The sound of a whistle drew their attention. The match ball was being held high by the umpire in the middle of the ground and the crowd was responding with a roar.

The grand final was about to start.

Don't forget you can also comment in the discussion forum thread!
Copyright © 2015 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great build up to what must be ratedas the key chapter - not that it is all about which team wins but the fall out on each of the plyers their families and friends. Grea t story. Thanks

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/22/2015 03:23 PM, Canuk said:

Great build up to what must be ratedas the key chapter - not that it is all about which team wins but the fall out on each of the plyers their families and friends. Grea t story. Thanks

Thank you!

Link to comment

I had to take notes as I read the chapter a second time so as not to forget to comment on all the important things happening.
Starting off with the Radio Pride segment was brilliant, it reminded us that they were a large part of the Leopards being able to compete. I'm hoping that next week Jim and Paul will remember to thank the listeners for their support.I
t was nice to witness the conversation between Liam and Clarissa. They finally are where they were meant to be: good friends who support each other.
It was even better to see the talk Deon and Clarissa had, even if she does tease the poor guy a bit much. But I suspect it's good for him. ;)  And I suspect Clarissa is also doing it as a defense against falling too hard for Deon.
Jackie and Julie are a great team, Peter will miss them when he's gone. I'm so glad all Ty's hard work and Jackie's help has paid off. You're now forgiven for injuring him. :lol: Of course I still worry along with his teammates when I see him hobbling on a sore knee, but if they win the final, Ty will happily pay the price of being unable to walk all Monday.
Such a wonderful end to the scene with Jim and Tony at the airport warms my heart. Tony deserves it for being so supportive and patient, not only during Leopard Spots but in this story too. And it was sweet when Jim went all worried and protective in the car.
Philip and Jessica are both clever and kindhearted. They made Mary focus on being the hostess rather than the presence of Jim and Tony. I was almost proud of the way Phil went over to Jim and apologized. Somehow I hadn't expected that, even though it was the obvious - and right- thing to do.
The brat is certainly back in fine form with teasing Dad. Good thing he hasn't heard (about) Jim's praise of him on the radio. Yet...
Lots of pre-game nerves understandably. Charlie is being the perfect teammate once more. I noticed he didn't say anything about Stacey meeting his parents. Hope it went well.
Poor Neil, being friends with Ollie and Helena must be trying at times. I'm glad Liam managed to fix things so he can come to the dinner and have Neil stay over. Knowing you we'll be kept in the dark on the details, but I hope they have a good experience, no matter what happens.
Kevin and Clarissa are being quite devious with Liam and his friends from school, aren't they? But since Kevin started it, Clarissa is simply playing along. Fun for us to watch. I can see Evelyn and Kevin having a nice time together, and since they are looking for the same thing, it's all good.
I almost fell over laughing at the idea of Ollie being cheered by a bunch of gay guys. Serves him right for the comment to Neil about his shorts. And of all the straight guys on the team, Ollie's the one to take it as a compliment, particularly if Helena likes the idea. But his fans may be disappointed when she tells them why she wants a copy of the photo.
And finally the start of the match approaches. I got goose pimples when reading about the crowd and how they made the players feel. I loved Ty's reaction, and Jim feeling awe at the whole thing including the rainbow banners was just perfect. I won't even moan about the cliff hanger, because I look forward to a whole chapter dedicated to the match. And hopefully another one describing the celebration afterwards. :2thumbs:

Edited by Timothy M.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/22/2015 05:48 PM, Timothy M. said:

I had to take notes as I read the chapter a second time so as not to forget to comment on all the important things happening.

Starting off with the Radio Pride segment was brilliant, it reminded us that they were a large part of the Leopards being able to compete. I'm hoping that next week Jim and Paul will remember to thank the listeners for their support.I

t was nice to witness the conversation between Liam and Clarissa. They finally are where they were meant to be: good friends who support each other.

It was even better to see the talk Deon and Clarissa had, even if she does tease the poor guy a bit much. But I suspect it's good for him. ;) And I suspect Clarissa is also doing it as a defense against falling too hard for Deon.

Jackie and Julie are a great team, Peter will miss them when he's gone. I'm so glad all Ty's hard work and Jackie's help has paid off. You're now forgiven for injuring him. :lol: Of course I still worry along with his teammates when I see him hobbling on a sore knee, but if they win the final, Ty will happily pay the price of being unable to walk all Monday.

Such a wonderful end to the scene with Jim and Tony at the airport warms my heart. Tony deserves it for being so supportive and patient, not only during Leopard Spots but in this story too. And it was sweet when Jim went all worried and protective in the car.

Philip and Jessica are both clever and kindhearted. They made Mary focus on being the hostess rather than the presence of Jim and Tony. I was almost proud of the way Phil went over to Jim and apologized. Somehow I hadn't expected that, even though it was the obvious - and right- thing to do.

The brat is certainly back in fine form with teasing Dad. Good thing he hasn't heard (about) Jim's praise of him on the radio. Yet...

Lots of pre-game nerves understandably. Charlie is being the perfect teammate once more. I noticed he didn't say anything about Stacey meeting his parents. Hope it went well.

Poor Neil, being friends with Ollie and Helena must be trying at times. I'm glad Liam managed to fix things so he can come to the dinner and have Neil stay over. Knowing you we'll be kept in the dark on the details, but I hope they have a good experience, no matter what happens.

Kevin and Clarissa are being quite devious with Liam and his friends from school, aren't they? But since Kevin started it, Clarissa is simply playing along. Fun for us to watch. I can see Evelyn and Kevin having a nice time together, and since they are looking for the same thing, it's all good.

I almost fell over laughing at the idea of Ollie being cheered by a bunch of gay guys. Serves him right for the comment to Neil about his shorts. And of all the straight guys on the team, Ollie's the one to take it as a compliment, particularly if Helena likes the idea. But his fans may be disappointed when she tells them why she wants a copy of the photo.

And finally the start of the match approaches. I got goosepimples when reading about the crowd and how they made the players feel. I loved Ty's reaction, and Jim feeling awe at the whole thing including the rainbow banners was just perfect. I won't even moan about the cliff hanger, because I look forward to a whole chapter dedicated to the match. And hopefully another one describing the celebration afterwards. :D

Wow! :blink: A fantastic summary, Tim, and I'm not sure what to say in response. Just to make it clearer, the average crowd size in the VFL is around 2000 people. A crowd of 20000 for the grand final would, naturally, be a little overwhelming for the players. By the way, I used the numbers from the actual 2014 VFL grand final where the offical crowd figures was 23816. For the record, Footscray won...but they were playing the Box Hill Hawks, not the Lilydale Leopards :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wonderful Graeme, and I loved all the interplay between the characters...especially Ty and Jim's parents. A lot of things to consider in this one, but I still have my doubts about Neil's mom.
More please!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/22/2015 06:28 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Wonderful Graeme, and I loved all the interplay between the characters...especially Ty and Jim's parents. A lot of things to consider in this one, but I still have my doubts about Neil's mom.

More please!

Neil's mother still has some issues that need resolving...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This was definitely the best chapter by far *although I think I say that about every chapter). :) I can't possibly point out all the highlights (and Tim did a great job of this) but I loved Tony's surprise at Jim's kissing him at the airport and Clarissa's little joke with Kevin and the boys at the end. Also, Ty's just being the brat; I am continually amazed at how much personality you have packed into that one character. :rolleyes:

 

Can't wait for next Saturday and the big game!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow, this is the beginning of the end, is it not?
I really like this story and it's going to be hard to let go of the team in a few weeks (or hopefully a bit longer...)
Great writing, can't wait for the next chapter! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/22/2015 11:17 PM, impunity said:

This was definitely the best chapter by far *although I think I say that about every chapter). :) I can't possibly point out all the highlights (and Tim did a great job of this) but I loved Tony's surprise at Jim's kissing him at the airport and Clarissa's little joke with Kevin and the boys at the end. Also, Ty's just being the brat; I am continually amazed at how much personality you have packed into that one character. :rolleyes:

 

Can't wait for next Saturday and the big game!

Thank you! Yes, I liked Jim kissing Tony, too. It shows how much Jim has developed from the guy at the start of the year who was hiding in the closet, afraid to let anyone know he's gay.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/23/2015 12:34 AM, Cole Matthews said:

All I can say is my fingernails are bitten to the quick! I can't wait! *gnaws nervously*

LOL. Sorry about the fingernails, but there was too much to cover before the game itself started.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/23/2015 02:17 AM, Sammy Blue said:

Wow, this is the beginning of the end, is it not?

I really like this story and it's going to be hard to let go of the team in a few weeks (or hopefully a bit longer...)

Great writing, can't wait for the next chapter! :)

Thank you! While it has been suggested to me that I never actually end the story, it does have an ending. I don't think I could write something that never ends...but if someone approached me to turn this into a TV show, I'd do my best to keep the story going for several seasons ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I love, love, loved this chapter. From the beginning to now, we've come to know these characters so well. It's been amazing to watch their transformation to who they are now. Something this chapter captured wonderfully, as they interacted with each other, their friends and family.
So excited for the finals match!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/23/2015 03:59 AM, Defiance19 said:

I love, love, loved this chapter. From the beginning to now, we've come to know these characters so well. It's been amazing to watch their transformation to who they are now. Something this chapter captured wonderfully, as they interacted with each other, their friends and family.

So excited for the finals match!!

Thank you! I don't know what else to say :*)

Link to comment

Ohh it is bittersweet: the grand final coming up, Neil making progress with his parents, the boys futures in the AFL or VFL. Its been a wonderful ride but I see the end in the horizon. My Saturday morning tea will be dull without another chapter to look forward to. But as you suggested maybe in a few years I will have a new favourite show on the telly - GO LEOPARDS.
My consolation is that your creative brain has new adventures in the wings waiting to be told.
Wonderful chapter as always.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/23/2015 09:03 PM, Rndmrunner said:

Ohh it is bittersweet: the grand final coming up, Neil making progress with his parents, the boys futures in the AFL or VFL. Its been a wonderful ride but I see the end in the horizon. My Saturday morning tea will be dull without another chapter to look forward to. But as you suggested maybe in a few years I will have a new favourite show on the telly - GO LEOPARDS.

My consolation is that your creative brain has new adventures in the wings waiting to be told.

Wonderful chapter as always.

Thank you. Yes, the end of this story is on the horizon but I've already started on the next one. It's going slowly, unfortunately, so it won't be ready when this story ends. :(

  • Like 1
Link to comment

That was a great chapter with many surprises. This story is great. I look forward to each new chapter to find out what new twist is coming.
Let's hope that Jim's parents help Phillip and Mary feel more comfortable about having a gay son. They have discovered already that Neil has only changed for the better. Working with the Leopards has given him more confidence.
Now on to the final game of this season. Thanks for writing another great story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/25/2015 02:46 AM, WildcatLes said:

That was a great chapter with many surprises. This story is great. I look forward to each new chapter to find out what new twist is coming.

Let's hope that Jim's parents help Phillip and Mary feel more comfortable about having a gay son. They have discovered already that Neil has only changed for the better. Working with the Leopards has given him more confidence.

Now on to the final game of this season. Thanks for writing another great story.

Thank you! Yes, Neil has changed a lot over the course of the year. He wasn't a particularly likeable person at the start, but that's all changed and almost all of that is due to the Leopards. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..