Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 7,896 Words
  • 2,654 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leopard Spots - 33. Chapter 33

Saturday 10th May, 2014

Ty grinned at his younger friend. “Come on, mate. We’re taking you out for at least part of the day. We’ve got some shopping to do, and I need your help. Todd won’t be back until late this afternoon, so I don’t see that you’ve got much in the way of excuses.”

Neil glanced at Karen. “Wouldn’t you two prefer to spend the day by yourselves?”

Ty draped an arm across Karen’s shoulders. “We’re planning a quiet night, and you’re definitely not invited for that, but there’s no reason we shouldn’t get the pleasure of your company during the day.”

Karen smiled. “If you want an honest answer, Neil, Ty’s being a chicken, and he wants to use you as an excuse for not doing what he needs to do. I’m hoping you’ll back me up and not leave him an option.”

Neil glanced at Ty, who was going red.

“Don’t listen to her, Neil. I was thinking I’d send a text to Alex to see if he and Ethan were free for lunch. I know you met them at Todd’s place the week before Easter, but that was ages ago, and you probably didn’t get a chance to chat with them.”

Karen chuckled. “Nice change of subject, Ty, but you’re not getting out of things that easily.” She smiled at Neil. “Tomorrow’s Mother’s Day, and Ty doesn’t want to drop off a present at his mum’s place – the present that he still hasn’t bought, by the way – just in case his father is there.”

Neil shuddered. He had managed to push the subject to the back of his mind, but Karen’s reminder had raised the storm of emotions again. Even though it was over a week since he’d left home, he hadn’t been able to put the past behind him. He didn’t want to see his parents, but he also felt guilty about not doing anything for his mum on Mother’s Day.

“Hey, it’s not like that at all. It’s...” Ty’s voice trailed off under Karen’s amused smile. “Okay, it is, but you haven’t met him. You don’t know what he’s like.” Ty glanced at Neil and grimaced. “At least, he’s not as violent as your old man.” Chagrined when he saw Neil flinch, Ty released Karen and gave Neil a quick embrace. “Sorry, mate, I shouldn’t’ve said that.”

“It’s...it’s okay.” Neil gave Ty a tentative smile. “You’re a brat. You don’t know any better.”

Karen laughed. “He’s got you there, Ty.” She grinned at Neil and tilted her head towards the door. “Let’s go, Neil. I think I’m going to need your help today to keep this guy on the straight and narrow. He needs to buy his mother a card and present and then drop them off today since he’ll be playing down in Frankston tomorrow and won’t get a chance.”

Neil dropped his head. “I should probably do the same.”

There was silence for a couple of seconds before Ty spoke again in a gentle tone. “If that’s what you want, mate. But I don’t think you should deliver it yourself. We’ll gather up Todd this afternoon to go with us. Just in case.”

Neil grimaced. “I was thinking...”

“Yes?”

Neil looked up. “Couldn’t we just leave the present by the front door? I don’t want to see them.”

Ty smiled. “We can do that.” He glanced at Karen. “In fact, that’s an excellent idea. I might–”

Karen gave him a light punch to the arm. “Don’t you dare! You’re going to go in and speak to her. Just because you can’t stand your father doesn’t give you the right to avoid your mother, too. She doesn’t deserve that.”

Ty winced. “Yeah, you’re right.” He gave Neil a weak smile. “Do you think you could come with me when we visit my parents? I might need your muscles if my father says the wrong thing.”

Neil couldn’t help glancing at his arms and then at Ty’s much larger biceps.

Karen laughed. “Neil, the danger will be Ty reacting to whatever his father says. If he starts to do something he shouldn’t, all you need to do is kick him in the balls. Ty, I mean, not his father.”

Ty’s hands immediately covered his crotch. “Hey, I’ve got to play tomorrow. You can’t do that to me!”

Karen stretched up and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. “We won’t...if you don’t do the wrong thing. Now you’ve got an extra incentive to ignore him.”

Ty grabbed her hand and took a step towards the door. He glanced back over his shoulder. “Come on, mate. I think I need you to protect me from this one, too.” Karen gave him a light kick in the shins. “See what I mean!”

Neil grinned. He made some mental notes as he followed them outside. He wanted that same sort of playful, loving relationship with any future boyfriend he might find. “Where are we going?” he asked as they headed towards Ty’s car.

“Eastland. I don’t know how long it’ll take me to find something, and there are a lot more options there.” Ty shrugged as he smiled at Karen. “Which is why I didn’t want to do this by myself.”

Karen sighed. “Translation: I have to pick out the present, and all he’ll be doing is to pay for it.”

“Exactly!” Ty stopped by the driver’s door. He winked at Neil. “And if you’re extra especially nice, she’ll probably do the same for you.”

Karen rolled her eyes. “Brat.” She smiled at Neil. “But he’s right, if you want some help picking something.”

* * *

Doug scowled, trying to hide his worry behind a gruff exterior. He stepped into Liam’s bedroom and yanked the bed covers off to reveal his boxer-clad mate. “Time to get up!”

Liam’s reply was muffled by the pillow in which his face was buried. “Leave me alone.”

“No fucking way. We’re going out together. I’m not going present shopping by myself; you’re coming to Eastland with me. You promised. We’ve got to get it done now because we’ve got a footy match this afternoon.”

Liam rolled over, displaying his drawn face to Doug’s dismay. The red eyes and shadows under his eyes indicated he hadn’t had a lot of sleep. “Get Neil to go with us, or I’m staying in bed. Anyway, I’m grounded.”

This time Doug’s scowl wasn’t a mask. “Your mum said you can go with me. And I’m not contacting that fucking loser. I’m here for you, not him. I–”

He wasn’t prepared for Liam to roll off the bed, stand, and grab Doug’s shirt. “He is not a loser!

“Steady, mate.” Doug reached up cautiously and took hold of Liam’s wrists. “At least you’re out of bed. Why don’t you get dressed and we’ll go out? Before your mum changes her mind.”

Liam released him and then sank down onto the edge of his bed. “I don’t want to go.”

“Look, Liam, I understand you’re upset, but you need to get on with your life.”

“Not without him.”

Doug felt a chill run through his body. He sat down next to Liam and tentatively put an around his best friend. “Liam, no one is worth that. You’ve got lots to look forward to. In another few months we’ll both be eighteen and I’ll take you to one of those gay bars you’ve mentioned. Maybe you’ll find a boyfriend there. Don’t give up. There are still plenty of good things in your life.”

Liam gave him a puzzled stare, and then his eyes went wide. “Doug, I’m not....” He shuddered. “No, I’m not going to kill myself, if that’s what you were thinking. I just meant...”

Doug gave him a squeeze of encouragement. “What did you mean?”

“That...” Liam dropped his head. “...that I’m not in the mood to enjoy things without him. Yeah, I know I’ve fucked up and will probably never get to have a chance to be with Neil, but I’m not ready to accept that.” He looked up and gave Doug a wry half-smile. “The first stage of grief is denial. Give me some time before you push me out of it.”

Doug felt relief at the small sign of the old Liam resurfacing. “How long do you want?”

Liam shrugged. “I don’t know.” He grinned. “How about I go for a world record? Do you think I can stay in denial for the rest of the year?”

“I think you’ll find a better boyfriend well before then.”

Doug found himself thrown onto Liam’s bed with his best friend glaring down at him. “No one’s going to be as good as Neil. Don’t even imply it, Doug!”

Doug cautiously held up both hands in surrender. “Okay, mate. I won’t mention it again.”

He realised with regret that Liam still had a long way to go before he was over Four-Dork.

* * *

“Shit! Turn around. Quickly!” Liam took his own advice and spun on his heels, heading back the way he’d come.

“What’s wrong?” Doug asked, glancing back over his shoulder.

“Neil and a couple of other people were just coming out of one of the shops back there.” Liam stopped a short distance away and glanced at his reflection in one of the store windows. “Fuck! Why couldn’t I have worn something better than this?”

Doug shook his head. “Four months. I don’t fucking believe it.”

Liam gave Doug a quizzical look. “What are you talking about?”

“You came out to me four months ago. It’s taken you this long before you did or said anything that was really ‛gay’, and when you did it had to do with Four...er...Neil. What is it about him that makes you act this weird?”

Liam wanted to scowl, but all he did was sigh as he tried to surreptitiously keep an eye on Neil. “Do you remember last year, when you had a crush on Penelope?”

“Hey, you promised to never bring that up again!”

Liam chuckled. “And if you promise to never bring this up again, I won’t. But it’s the same thing.”

Doug’s eyes widened. “Shit! You really do have it bad for him, then.”

Liam gave another heavy sigh. “Yeah...” He straightened. “Let’s go upstairs. Maybe we can find something for Neil there.”

Doug grabbed him by the arm. “Wait a sec. We’re here to get something for my mum, not that loser!”

Liam glared as he pushed his face close to Doug’s. “Don’t fucking call him that again, or I’ll do something we’ll both regret!”

“Okay, okay.” Doug shook his head. “Fine, if you want to find him a present, we’ll do that, too. But...” he held up a finger to emphasise his point. “Only after we get something for my mum. Deal?”

Liam grinned. “Deal!” He stared vacantly into the distance. “Now, what can I get him?”

* * *

Ty took a few quick breaths. “We can do this. It’s not that hard. We just go in, talk to Mum, give her the present, and get out of there.”

Karen’s eyebrows rose, and she gave Neil a smile. “This is Ty psyching himself up.”

“Is his father really that bad?” Neil asked.

Ty grimaced and answered for her. “Yes.” He paused and then sighed. “Okay, I’ve tried to explain it to both of you, but if my old man is in there, expect to be belittled and denigrated. He’s a past master of the putdown, and he never has anything positive to say.” He glanced at Karen and winced. “I really don’t want you there. If he insults you, I might react badly.”

Karen frowned. “I can take care of myself, Ty. They’ll only be words, and if they’re not true, they can’t harm me.”

“Yeah, but he mixes in just enough of the truth to make you doubt yourself. Please, trust me on this.”

She smiled. “I can take it. I’m a big girl.”

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you.” Ty gave her one last worried look and then steeled his expression into one of determination as he marched up to the front door of his parents’ house. “Please don’t be home. Please don’t be home,” he muttered to himself.

Karen rolled her eyes while looking amused. Neil hung back behind the two.

The front door opened to reveal the scowling expression of Ty’s father. “Oh, it’s you. Finally ready to admit that you can’t manage without me?”

Ty pasted a fake grin on his face. “Hi. No, I’m just dropping in to wish Mum a happy Mother’s Day.”

“Typical. This is what happens when you lack supervision, Ty. You can’t even get the day right by yourself. Mother’s Day is tomorrow.” Mr. Flanders stepped back to allow them into the house. He narrowed his eyes at Karen and Neil. “Who are these people?”

“This is Karen, my girlfriend, and Neil, another friend of mine.”

Mr. Flanders stared hard at both of them. He gave Karen a second look up and down. “If you want to create a good impression, my dear, you should learn to dress properly. A lady doesn’t wear pants, but given that you’re associating with my poor misguided son, I don’t suppose you’re aware of the finer points of etiquette. You clearly are not someone with any sense of refinement.”

Ty’s arm muscles bulged as he clenched his fists. “Karen is a wonderful person. I don’t want you speaking to her like that.”

Mr. Flanders raised an eyebrow. “I’m sorry. I thought I should speak in a manner to which she was likely to be accustomed. If she had any class, she would’ve been able to find a young man much better than you. Are you saying she’s a young woman of decent breeding?” He gave Karen another critical examination. “Personally, I don’t see it.”

“If you say one more thing...”

Karen smiled and rested a hand on Ty’s bicep. “It’s okay, Ty. Just let it go. Your father doesn’t know me.”

Mr. Flanders cocked his head. “Should I want to?” He shook his head. “Probably not. If you’re associating with the version of my son that sadly appeared after he left my care, you obviously have little in the way of taste.”

Ty’s menacing step forward was halted by Karen’s laughter. He glanced at her with an expression of concern, to which she chuckled. “I’m fine. There’s no need to look at me like that.”

“But...” Ty’s gaze flicked to his father for a moment before returning to Karen.

She grinned. “It’s okay. I just found what your father said amusing.”

Mr. Flanders scowled at her. “Please display a sense of decorum while you are a guest in this house. While I didn’t expect much, I had hopes you would have some manners.”

Karen smiled. “I’m sorry, Mr. Flanders. I assure you that I do have manners.” She glanced at Ty and winked carefully so his father wouldn’t see it. “Unlike some people present.”

A quick smile flashed onto Ty’s face before he tried to school his expression into one of polite disinterest.

Mr. Flanders gave Neil a hard stare. He snapped his fingers in Neil’s direction. “I know you; you were on TV recently. You’re another one of those homosexuals. You lot have already led my son astray, and I don’t want you here. Get out.”

Neil gulped and took a step backwards as he looked to Ty for help. Ty gritted his teeth. “We’re not going to be staying long. I just want to give Mum her present, wish her all the best, and then we’ll leave.”

“The sooner the better.” Mr. Flanders sniffed in disgust. “Given your association with this riffraff, it seems apparent that you’ve given up on becoming an AFL footballer. Probably just as well. Without me, you’re obviously losing your focus.”

Ty scowled. “No, I haven’t, and for your information, I’m going to be visiting the Carlton Football Club next month. Dad’s been invited, and I’m going with him.”

Mr. Flanders glared. “What do you mean?”

Karen jumped in before Ty could say anything. “He means Jim Henderson. His nickname at the club is Dad.”

He stared down his nose at her. “My dear, I’m not ignorant. I’m fully aware of the obnoxious phrase that my son uses for that person. I understood who he was referring to, and I didn’t need your condescending explanation. My question was to how my son received an invite from an AFL club.”

Ty’s knuckles were going white. “Never talk to her that way!”

Karen put a hand on Ty’s arm. “Leave this to me. You take Neil and go see your mum. I’ll explain things to your father.”

Mr. Flanders smiled coldly. “Yes, run along, dear boy. Do what you’re told. You wouldn’t know what to do if someone wasn’t there to tell you.”

Ty growled as he stepped forward but was stopped again by Karen blocking his way. “Go see your mum, Ty. I’ll handle this.” Before Ty could say anything, she faced his father. “As Ty said, if you’d been listening, Jim received the invite, and he was told he could bring one of his teammates. He chose Ty.”

Mr. Flanders sneered at his son. “I see. You still can’t manage to do anything by yourself. I told you that I could get you to the AFL, but you turned your back on me. Now, you’re reduced to picking up the dregs left by others.” He shook his head sadly. “And to think that I used to believe you could be the best player in the league.”

Ty hesitated. “Karen...”

She smiled. “I’ll be fine.” She turned her attention back to Ty’s father. “You’ve had your chance to pontificate. Now it’s my turn. You have no idea who your son is or what he’s capable of doing. I don’t care what you think you know, but I’m going to tell you what your son has been up to.”

“If you think I have any interest–”

Karen leant forward. “A gentleman doesn’t interrupt a lady when she’s speaking.”

Mr. Flanders stiffened. “You’re no lady!”

Karen glanced back and waved a hand to indicate she wanted Ty and Neil to move on and find Ty’s mum. She then smiled at Ty’s father. “Unless you want to find out how unlady-like I can be, I suggest we retire to the lounge room so I can tell you exactly how well Ty’s been doing.”

* * *

Ty sat behind the steering wheel for a moment and then smiled at Karen in the passenger seat. “I love you.”

She raised an eyebrow. “What brought that on?”

“You. Back there. You kept my old man occupied while Neil and I went to see my mum.” He leant over and gave her a kiss. “That’s above and beyond the call of duty. Thank you.”

She shrugged. “I have to confess that I didn’t think he would be as bad as you’d made out, but you were absolutely right. He’s an egotistical control freak. Your mother barely said hello to me as we were leaving because of your father’s obvious disapproval.”

“She wasn’t like that when we were alone with her,” Neil said from the back seat. “I like her. She said how sorry she was that I’d been hit by my dad.”

Ty grunted. “Unfortunately, she’s very much under my old man’s thumb. She doesn’t say boo unless he’s given permission. Get her away from him and she’s great. When he’s around, she’s a mirror that reflects his thoughts and views.”

Karen sighed. “Some people are like that. They don’t want to be the one who’s responsible or to make the decisions. They let others take control, like your father.” Her brow wrinkled as she thought. “If you’re right about your mum, then maybe they’re ideal for each other. I don’t think it’s healthy for one person to dominate a relationship like that, but if they’re both happy then we should stay out of it.”

Ty snorted as he started the engine. “I’m more than happy to stay out of it. Mum’s nice, but I really don’t want to see my old man if I can avoid it.”

Neil frowned. “I don’t think I’m the assertive type. I’m more the other way, letting things happen around me.”

Karen turned to look into the back seat. “Maybe, but there’s degrees. Ty’s parents are at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Most people fit somewhere in between. You might prefer to have a boyfriend who takes the lead, but don’t let yourself become a doormat for him. Be yourself, and when you want to, stick up for what you want.” She smiled. “Ideally, you want your relationship to be balanced: sometimes you’re running the show and other times you let him make the decisions while still expressing your own opinion if need be.”

“Listen to her, Neil. She knows what she’s talking about.”

Neil sat back and thought for a moment. “I think I understand. My dad makes a lot of the decisions at home, but Mum has the final word in quite a few things, especially anything to do with the house. There were times she’d let him do what he wants, but other times when she’s the boss.”

“And that’s normal.” Karen smiled at Ty. “Ty and I are still finding our way, but we’ve already identified some broad areas where one of us is in charge. Otherwise, we talk about it and work out something between us.”

“Such as?” Neil asked.

“Sex.” Ty grinned. “She’s in charge of when I get it, and then I’m in charge as to what happens next.”

Karen’s gaze was frosty. “Really?”

“Oops...” Ty’s smile faded away as he kept flicking his attention between the road and his girlfriend. “I think I’ve put my foot in it.”

“I’d say that’s a fair assessment of the situation.” Karen turned to look at Neil in the back seat and winked at him while keeping the cold expression on her face. “Ty now has to be a really good boy for the rest of the day, or tonight he’ll be sleeping alone.”

There was quiet in the car for a few seconds. “Karen, darling, honeybun, sweetie pie–”

“You’re laying it on a bit thick, Ty.” Karen’s tone was caught between warning and amusement.

Ty grinned. “Tonight, you’re in charge. You do whatever you want. Just remember, we have to be finished by midnight because I’ve got a curfew.”

Karen shook her head, a wry smile on her face. “Sometimes...” She reached over and gave Ty’s leg a caress. “If you weren’t so adorable and sweet, I don’t know why I’d put up with you.”

Ty shrugged. “Because you’re a glutton for punishment?”

Karen chuckled. “Must be.”

Neil scrunched down in the back seat, not wanting to be there while they shared an intimate moment. His movement must’ve attracted Ty’s attention, because he looked at Neil through the rear-view mirror. “Sorry, mate. I shouldn’t’ve done that to you. I’m used to my mates from school and the single guys on the team, where sex is a common topic of conversation.”

“My apologies, too, Neil.” Karen turned to give him a weak smile. “I was in a frisky mood, and Ty knew it. That’s why he played up.” She grimaced. “Sadly, you can expect more of the same at lunchtime. Alex and Ethan are worse than Ty in that respect. Nice guys, but, as Alex has said at times, he’s got a two-track mind, and one of them is stuck on sex.”

A half-smile appeared on Neil’s face. “It sounds like I need to find myself a boyfriend so I can learn enough to keep up with you guys.”

Ty chuckled. “That’s one way of doing it.” When Karen gave him a mock glare, he shrugged. “Actually, that’s probably the best way of doing it.”

Neil looked out the window as he dreamed of having someone he could call his boyfriend. He scowled as he recalled how close he thought he’d been less than twenty-four hours before when he thought he might be able to start dating Alf. A day later and there was no one on the horizon.

“Neil?”

“Yes?” Neil realised that he had zoned out.

“Last chance. Do you want me to get Paul or Todd to meet us at your parents’ place?” Ty asked.

Neil swallowed. He’d been trying to avoid thinking about what was coming up. “N...no. We’ll just leave the present on the doorstep like we planned.” He tried to smile. “We’ll be in and out of there before they realise we’ve been.”

“Okay, mate. And then we’ll meet up with Alex and Ethan so you can calm down.” He smiled. “We’ll take you somewhere flash.”

“You don’t have to...”

Karen chuckled. “You don’t know what Ty considers to be flash, Neil. It’ll probably be a step up from McDonalds, but with Ty, I’m not even sure of that.”

Ty scowled. “What’s wrong with McDonalds? Decent menu, sit-down meal. The only thing it misses out on is table service. If you order the right thing, you can even get a toy with your food!”

Karen glanced back at Neil and rolled her eyes. “See what I mean?” She grinned. “The crazy thing is that he can make it sound...and be...exciting.” She shook her head. “Don’t expect anything too upmarket.”

Ty pouted. “Just for that, I’m going to have to find somewhere decent.” He thought for a moment and then grinned. “How does Vietnamese sound?”

Karen straightened. “The restaurant in Box Hill where we went on the double date?”

“That was my thinking. Do you want to text Alex and let him know?”

Karen pulled out her phone. “I’ll do that now.” She grinned over her shoulder. “You’ll like this place. I just hope we can get in.”

* * *

“...and that’s it. I’m just so glad Todd and the other guys are letting me stay with them.” Neil’s gaze was focused on the tabletop. The looks that Alex and Ethan had given him during his story had made him uncomfortable.

“Mate, that’s one fucked up set of parents you’ve got,” Alex said.

“Too true.” Ethan sighed. “At least it looks like you’re getting a boyfriend. That’s something positive.”

Neil’s head snapped up. “What are you talking about?”

Ethan frowned as his eyes flicked to Ty and Karen before returning to Neil. “I thought...”

Alex glanced at Ty. “Yesterday morning, on the radio. We were listening to the Pride FM and the footy-tipping segment. Paul and Jim were talking about what had happened. One of them said that Neil was starting to date someone from school.”

Neil glowered. “That fucking bastard! That fucking, fucking bastard!”

Karen reached over and put a hand on Neil’s shoulder. “Steady, Neil. They didn’t mean any harm by saying something.”

“Not them. Liam. We’re out for lunch, he’s nowhere in sight, but he’s still interfering in my life!”

“Who’s Liam?” Alex asked.

Ty glanced at Neil and winced. He turned back to Alex and Ethan. “The ex-potential boyfriend. It’s a little complicated, but Neil didn’t know that Liam was the one he was going to start dating.”

Neil closed his eyes for a moment and then let the anger out. “A little complicated? He played with me. He fucking twisted everything and screwed with me. He...” Neil growled at the memory.

“Can we explain it to them?” Karen asked.

Neil waved a hand. “Go ahead. I’ve been humiliated so much already, two more people won’t hurt.”

“We don’t have to know,” Ethan said quickly.

Neil shook his head. “It’s okay.”

Ty stared at Neil for a moment and then turned to Alex and Ethan. In a low voice, he gave them a summary of the saga of Alf and Liam.

Ethan grimaced when Ty finished. “He sounds like a real bastard.”

Neil snorted. “He is. He and his mates have been doing this sort of thing to me for five years. I don’t know why I’m surprised that they saved the best for the last year of school.”

“Steady on, Neil. Liam’s changed. I accept that he hasn’t been the best of guys in the past, but he was honestly distraught when he was telling you the truth last night.” Ty smiled. “I think he’s fallen for you.”

“Yeah, well fuck him! I would’ve dated Alf, but there’s not fucking way I’m going out with that jerk.”

Karen’s eyes suddenly narrowed. “You liked Alf, though.”

Neil found himself caught in whirlpool of conflicting emotions. “I...he...I could’ve loved him.” His expression hardened. “But he was a lie. He wasn’t real. That’s why I hate the bastard. He almost made me fall in love with a figment of his imagination!”

* * *

That night, Liam sat in front of his computer. He closed his eyes and swallowed once. Did he really want to do what he was contemplating?

“Fuck this! Doug’s right. I need to move on.” Liam stood up and stepped away. He tried to force his mind onto something else, but he found his gaze kept going back to the computer screen that showed the picture of Neil that he had snapped at school one day when the two shared a class.

“Argh...!” Liam yanked out the chair and plonked himself back in front of the computer. He grabbed the keyboard and then hesitated. Slowly, and then with increasing confidence, he typed. By the time he had finished, he had written several pages of text.

He minimised the window and stared at the picture of Neil. “Why?” It was a rhetorical question; Liam knew the answer. Everything was his own fault, but that didn’t stop him from wanting things to be different. He sighed and brought back up the window. He clicked Send. Moments later, he had a reply.

I hate you. I don’t want to hear from you again. Go away.

Liam sighed. All he could do was hope that Neil hadn’t also set up his email client to auto-delete as well as auto-reply.

* * *

There was plenty of noise in the bus as the Leopards returned from their Mother’s Day game in Frankston. It had been a good win, by just under ten goals. Ty was doing his bit to contribute to the general raucous atmosphere when he noted his housemate staring silently out the window.

Ty dropped into the seat next to Deon. “What’s up, mate? You should be celebrating. Five goals! That’s fantastic.”

Deon screwed up his face. “And five behinds. I’m still missing as much as I’m getting. You did better, percentage-wise.”

Ty shrugged. “Volume counts. You did better than me in that respect. I only kicked three goals; you got almost twice that number. And most of these were after contested marks. You’re doing your job, Deon. Don’t be so hard on yourself.”

“Yeah, I know. I’m improving, which is a plus.”

Ty frowned at the depressed tone. He made a guess. “This isn’t about the game, is it?”

“No.” Deon turned to face out the window again. “I’m going to have dinner with Mum, Jordan, and Teresa tonight to celebrate Mother’s Day. I’m not looking forward to it.”

“Why not?”

Deon sighed. “Because I’m going to have to explain that I’ve broken up with Pamela. Which will then mean having to explain why.”

“Ah...” Ty sat for a moment. “Do you regret it?”

“I miss her and the good times we had, but I wasn’t able to give up footy for her. I still don’t know if I made the right choice.” Deon turned and gave Ty a self-effacing smile. “Not that I made a choice at all. I procrastinated for so long that she made the choice for me.”

“We can’t keep second-guessing things, Deon.” Ty snorted. “But I’m guilty of it, too. I keep wondering how things might’ve turned out if I’d met Dad at the start of last year. Would he have shaken some sense into me while I still had a chance of getting drafted, or would my old man have interfered again and stopped it from happening?”

Deon chuckled sadly. “We’ll never know. That doesn’t stop us from thinking about it, though.”

“Yeah, but then it’s time to move ahead. Learn the lessons from the past and make sure we don’t make the same mistakes again.” Ty cocked his head. “Do you remember that absolute shocker of a kick I sent your way in the third quarter?”

“Yeah. I’ll admit I wasn’t even sure if it was meant for me.”

“It wasn’t originally. Ollie was breaking clear and I started to kick to him only to see one of the Frankston defenders appear from nowhere and block the line. I was already committed to kick the ball, and I had to change targets partway through the kick. Do you know why I picked you?”

“No, why?”

Ty smiled. “Because I knew you’d get it. It didn’t matter how bad it was, I knew you’d hold off your man and mark the ball. That gave you your fourth goal.”

Deon frowned. “And your point is?”

“Sometimes we have to change plans. When that happens, we have to trust our teammates to deal with the change. You didn’t let me or the team down. You certainly didn’t let yourself down. Pamela has caused a change in your plans. Okay, that’s happened. Pick your new target and go all out for it, just like you do on the football oval.”

“Who?”

Ty shrugged. “Not my place to say. And you mightn’t’ve met her yet. Give it time and you’ll find someone else. Not everything works out the first time.” He grinned. “It took me two dads before I found the one that’s right for me.”

Deon laughed. “Thanks, brat.”

Ty stood up and then had another thought. Holding onto the back of the seat as the bus rocked along, he smiled down at Deon. “It’s only a suggestion, but why don’t you ring Sam? He knows what it’s like to go through a relationship breakup. Maybe he can help you?”

Deon scowled. “He’s the one who broke up with my mum! What the fuck would he know about what it feels like to be on the other side?”

Ty shrugged. “You won’t know until you talk to him. As I said, it was only a suggestion.”

Ty moved along the aisle, but after two rows he stopped and looked back. A smile appeared on his face as he saw Deon with his phone in his hand. Ty continued on his way, celebrating the win with his teammates until he reached someone else who didn’t seem to be quite in the spirit of the day.

“G’day,” Ty said as he dropped into the seat next to Neil.

Neil grinned. “Great game, brat! Everyone played really well.”

Ty shrugged. “That’s called teamwork. There was a time in the second quarter when everything just seemed to click. It was magic!” He gave Neil a half-smile. “You don’t seem to be fully enjoying the moment, though. Is there something wrong?”

Neil grimaced and wouldn’t meet Ty’s eyes. “Todd asked me the same question a few minutes ago.”

“And...?”

“And I don’t know if I should ring my mum and wish her a happy Mother’s Day.” Neil lifted his head. “It wouldn’t be, would it? I’m not there. Without me, how can Mother’s Day be happy? She doesn’t have anyone else who can call her Mum.”

Ty smiled softly. “Do you want to call her?”

“I don’t know.” Neil’s shoulders slumped. “I do and I don’t. I think I should because she’s looked after me for so long, and now that I’m away from home, I’m learning how many things she did that I took for granted. But I don’t want to, because I’m not sure I want to speak to her, and calling her may make her feel worse. It’ll just rub her nose into what’s going on.”

“I don’t think she’ll be able to avoid thinking about it, Neil. Turn the problem around. What if you don’t call her? How do you think she’ll feel then?”

Neil chuckled, though it didn’t sound particularly happy. “Did Todd send you to talk to me?”

“Why?”

“He said pretty much the same thing.”

Ty grinned. “What’s the saying? Great minds think alike or is it ‘fools never differ’?”

“Which one do you think it is?” Neil asked.

Ty was pleased to hear a more positive tone. “Well, the answer is obvious. Since I’m always right...” He raised an eyebrow, inviting Neil to complete the sentence.

“Fools never differ.” Neil grinned.

Ty clenched a hand against his chest. “I’m crushed!” He reached into his pocket. “Here, take this. Just in case you decide to ring, it’ll be better if you don’t use your own phone so they don’t find out your new number.”

Neil stared for a moment before hesitantly taking Ty’s phone. “But then they’ll bug you!”

Ty shrugged. “They won’t harass me once they learn it’s not you. I don’t even live with you, remember, so there’s no reason for them to keep ringing me.”

“Thanks, Ty.”

Ty scowled. “What have I told you about that name?”

Neil chuckled. “Sorry, brat.” He screwed up his face and then nodded to himself. “I’m going to call her.”

“Do you want me to stick around?”

“Please.” Neil closed his eyes and muttered under his breath for a couple of seconds. After an obvious swallow, he dialled his parents’ number. “It’s ringing.” He waited then grinned. “I’m getting the answering machine!”

Ty stood up so Neil would be able to leave his message in private.

* * *

Monday, and Glenda Williams, the Leopards front-office manager, settled herself down behind her desk so she could relax with her usual early morning cup of coffee. It was particularly enjoyable, given that the Leopards had such a convincing win the day before.

She’d just taken her second sip when the sound of the front doors opening attracted her attention. She almost choked as she recognised the two people entering the foyer. Glenda quickly put down her cup and rang Colin, the only senior staff member whom she was sure would be at his desk at that time of the day.

“Colin, the Rosewoods have just arrived.”

“How do they look? Do I need to find some of the guys to help out?”

Glenda surveyed the visitors, who were waiting patiently at the reception counter. “They’re not acting aggressive. They’re waiting for someone to notice them.”

“Okay, I’ll be down shortly. Don’t hesitate to hit the panic button if you get concerned.”

“Thanks, Colin. I’ll see you soon.”

Putting on her professional smile despite her personal misgivings about Neil’s parents, she stepped up to greet the visitors. She was glad that there was no direct path from the foyer to the front office unless Mr. Rosewood tried to dive over the counter.

“Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Rosewood. How can I help you?”

Phil Rosewood glanced at his wife as if he was expecting her to answer and then back at Glenda. “Can we please leave a message for Neil?”

Glenda kept her surprise from appearing on her face. “Sure. Would you like to write it down?”

“No, that won’t be necessary.” He glanced at his wife again, who had started to sob. He placed an arm around her waist and pulled her into his chest. Mr. Rosewood gave Glenda a pained look. “Can you let him know that his mum got his present and the phone message? We both really appreciate that he made the effort, and can you please pass on our love?”

Glenda blinked. Before she could say anything, the older couple turned and headed to the door.

“I’ll make sure he gets the message. Thank you.”

Phil Rosewood nodded, though he didn’t look back as he escorted his wife out of the building.

* * *

Clarissa and Neil sat down with their now-regular, Tuesday after-school coffees.

“You seemed a bit distracted today, Neil. Is there something I can help with?”

Neil frowned at his cup. “No, just puzzled. I got a message when I went to the football club last night. My parents left it for me, but I don’t know what to make of it.”

“Can you tell me?”

Neil sighed, still staring at his coffee. “They said to say that Mum got the Mother’s Day present I dropped off and the message I left on the answering machine. They then asked Glenda to send me their love.” He grimaced. “Glenda said it was my father who said it.” He looked up. “The guy who hit me. The guy who wants to castrate me. He said to say they both love me.”

“Could it be that they’re regretting what they’ve done?”

Neil scowled. “So they should! After what they did...” He glared at his cup and then picked it up and took a large sip. He spluttered and quickly put the coffee down again, while wincing from drinking too much hot liquid at once.

“Have you rung them back?”

“No!” Neil’s body slumped as his anger drained away. “It’s too early. I don’t trust them. They might be doing the same as Jerk Face, pretending to be something they’re not until they trap me.”

Clarissa had noticed that Neil was using her old nickname for Liam. He’d started doing so the day before, after he told her about how Alf and Liam were the same person. That titbit of information was why she had backed Neil up when he had told Liam to go away and leave him alone. Liam had approached them at lunchtime and tried to give Neil a box of chocolates while mouthing an apology. Neil had flung the box, good-quality, Lindt chocolates, into the nearest rubbish bin while yelling at Liam to fuck off.

“They might be on the level.”

“And they mightn’t be.” Neil shook his head. “There’s too much at risk. I can’t afford to make a mistake.”

“Do you think they’ll try to intercept you before or after school? Now that you’re taking the train, I mean.”

Neil pulled a face. “I don’t know. I think it’s safe, but I don’t know. I can’t keep asking Ollie to take me to and from school, though. He’s got his own life, too.” He shrugged. “Anyway, it’ll probably take them a few days to work out I’m no longer getting a ride, and next week Ollie will be giving me a lift again, so that’ll confuse them if they’re watching.”

Clarissa frowned. “I thought you just said that you didn’t want him to do that?”

Neil grinned. “Next week is the Leopards football clinic at our school. He, Jim, and Roger will be here for most of the week, so Ollie’s able to take me. After that, it’ll be back to the train again.”

“Jim’s the gay one, right?” When Neil nodded, Clarissa continued. “Who’s Roger?”

“The Leopards’ captain. He’s on crutches at the moment; he did his ankle the other week. He’s a cool guy, and his daughter gets along well with Sean.” He grinned. “There may be a romance there, sometime in the future.”

Clarissa made herself wait before asking the obvious question, hoping Neil would explain without prompting. “Who’s Sean?”

Neil seemed confused. “Haven’t I mentioned him before?”

“No.” She smiled. “But then, there’s been a lot of things going on, so it’s understandable that you’ve forgotten.”

“Okay, Sean is Lorraine’s son. He’s six.” Neil hesitated, taking in Clarissa’s exasperated expression. “Lorraine’s Todd’s girlfriend. She also has a daughter, Becky...”

* * *

Marcus stepped into the apartment and sniffed. A smile appeared on his face as he savoured the aroma wafting out of the kitchen. “Smells great!” He tossed his briefcase onto the nearest chair, as he usually did when he arrived home from work.

He heard a chuckle. “That’s because you’re not cooking.”

Marcus slipped into the kitchen and wrapped his arms around the cook’s waist. “True, but it still smells great.” He glanced into the frying pan where several small pieces of steak were simmering in a creamy gravy. “How long until dinner?”

“It’s almost ready.” Sam leant back so he could accept a kiss from his partner. “Give me ten minutes.”

“Just enough time to get changed and open a bottle of wine.” Marcus let Sam go and stepped to the side.

Sam frowned. “I thought we agreed: no wine during the week.”

Marcus gave him a sheepish shrug. “Usually, yes, but there’s something we need to discuss, and some wine will help.”

“That doesn’t sound good...”

Marcus smiled. “It’s good and bad, but I think it’s better discussed over dinner. I’ll be back soon.”

Fifteen minutes later, the two were seated at the small table where they ate most of their meals. Sam had brought out and lit the candles they used for their occasional romantic dinners, and the two had just toasted each other.

“Now, what is it that you wanted to discuss?” Sam asked.

“You know how Deon rang you on Sunday afternoon...?”

Sam sighed. “Yeah. I was really disappointed to hear that he and Pamela had broken up. I thought they made a good couple. He was pretty upset. He held it together pretty well, but the fact that he wanted to talk to me about it told me a lot.”

Marcus smiled. “Yeah. I know we discussed it and decided we couldn’t go down to Melbourne this weekend, but I think Deon needs you.”

Sam shook his head. “We’ve already talked about this. It’s too much money, plus we’ve promised David and Roland that we’ll be there on Saturday night to see them in that play they’re in.”

“Agreed, but David and Roland would understand if you’re not there. They appreciate the importance of family.”

“But we can’t afford it!” Sam grimaced. “I really want to be there for Deon, but we can’t do it.”

“True, we can’t...but you can.” Marcus gave Sam his most encouraging smile. “If you went by yourself and if we imposed on Matt and Gary to put you up for the weekend, it won’t cost that much, just the airfares. I’ll keep our commitment to David and Roland, and you keep your commitment to your family.”

Sam’s jaw dropped and then he frowned. “We don’t know if Matt and Gary would be able to do that, and I’m uncomfortable asking them.”

“I know, which is why I rang them this afternoon. They’ll be more than happy to have you stay with them. They even offered to pick you up from the airport on Friday night. All we need to do is book your flights. That we can afford.”

Sam blinked. A slow smile appeared on his face as he reached across the table to take Marcus’s hand. “I love you.”

Marcus smiled back. “I love you, too. Now, let’s finish this great meal you’ve cooked for us, and then we’ll get online and book your trip down to Melbourne. You can let Deon know you’ll be down to see him as soon as we’re done.”

Don't forget you can also comment in the discussion forum thread!
Copyright © 2015 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I guess Liam is not taking it as badly as I feared, that's a relief. Doug is a good friend even if he's thick at times, when will he learn not to call Neil names? I got the message you were hinting at: the parallel between Liam and Phil, how people can change and see the errors of their ways, but it's understandable that Neil doesn't trust either of them. By the way, why didn't Liam send the mail to Todd as well as Neil, ? If Todd reads whatever he has written, he might persuade Neil to read it too. Liam isn't all that bright / clever either, is he?

I'm impressed Ty didn't bash his dad's face in, that bastard deserved it for talking to and about Karen that way. But in a way it's good she has met him, so she knows where Ty is coming from and that he is not exaggerating when he says his dad is an utter bastard. I wish they hadn't told Ty's dad about him going to Carlton with Jim. But they probably didn't see any harm in it, since they don't know the mischief he's been up to with other clubs. The funny thing is he's probably done Ty a favor as he might have started negotiations if his dad hadn't blocked it and now he's still free to go to the best place. Talk about irony of justice.

Deon needs to meet Clarissa. :lol:

Link to comment

Hi Graeme,

 

Thanks for the next chapter of Leopard Spots.

 

I don't really know what to make of this chapter. A lot of seemingly positive, minor things happening. I was very pleased to see the Rosewoods visit the Leopards, just to show their appreciation of Neil's efforts.

 

Deon seems to allow his father closer again. I hope he'll take the advice.

 

I really feel for Liam. I hope that him and Neil will eventually come together.

 

Keep up the amazing work.

Lots of loving cuddles,

Maarten

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Poor Liam. I feel so badly for his plight. Although a small part of me wants to giggle with glee at his comeuppance. I really hate bullies. As much as I want to be a voyeur to the romantic reconciliation, I know I'd never start a relationship with someone who had treated me that badly. I just wish something equally awful would happen to Doug; seeing his friend's misery doesn't seem like enough. :evil:

 

I like how you wove Mothers' Day into Ty's and Neil's stories with very different outcomes. I'm glad Neil has a chance of reconciliation with both of his parents. There doesn't seem to be any hope for Ty, though. His father really is a Grade-A arsehole. I was hoping Karen would find out about Ty's dad's little treachery but I guess you're saving that revelation for another time. Karen was awesome, though. I really wanted to hug her. Actually, I find myself wanting to hug most of your characters. :wub: Arsehole fathers excepted, of course.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well, you got me tearing up again with the Rosewoods. You are also negotiating a wonderful atmosphere of contriteness and forgiveness. Both are admirable traits. Perhaps the best part of this chapter is the discussion of the internal roles in a relationship. They aren't fixed and are very different from what others perceive. We don't know what others experience behind closed doors. It makes things very interesting, richer, and more complex. You are very crafty, Graeme. Kudos to you. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Ty's dad and Doug, at different levels, frustrate me to no end. Ty is going to have the last laugh at that. This chapter though, was fraught with possibilty. Deon and his dad, Neil and his parents. With Neil, I get his hesitation to trust the sudden change in tide. It will take him a bit. I can only hope that Deon will be more open with his dad, who is certainly trying.

Liam.. He's going to have to sweat it out a while, but I'm starting to feel for him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/21/2015 05:39 PM, Timothy M. said:
I guess Liam is not taking it as badly as I feared, that's a relief. Doug is a good friend even if he's thick at times, when will he learn not to call Neil names? I got the message you were hinting at: the parallel between Liam and Phil, how people can change and see the errors of their ways, but it's understandable that Neil doesn't trust either of them. By the way, why didn't Liam send the mail to Todd as well as Neil, ? If Todd reads whatever he has written, he might persuade Neil to read it too. Liam isn't all that bright / clever either, is he?

I'm impressed Ty didn't bash his dad's face in, that bastard deserved it for talking to and about Karen that way. But in a way it's good she has met him, so she knows where Ty is coming from and that he is not exaggerating when he says his dad is an utter bastard. I wish they hadn't told Ty's dad about him going to Carlton with Jim. But they probably didn't see any harm in it, since they don't know the mischief he's been up to with other clubs. The funny thing is he's probably done Ty a favor as he might have started negotiations if his dad hadn't blocked it and now he's still free to go to the best place. Talk about irony of justice.

Deon needs to meet Clarissa. :lol:

Thank you!

 

Liam didn't sent the email to Todd because it was personal between him and Neil. We didn't get to see the content, but given it's several pages, I suspect it's not something that should be shared with others.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/21/2015 09:22 PM, shyboy85 said:
Hi Graeme,

 

Thanks for the next chapter of Leopard Spots.

 

I don't really know what to make of this chapter. A lot of seemingly positive, minor things happening. I was very pleased to see the Rosewoods visit the Leopards, just to show their appreciation of Neil's efforts.

 

Deon seems to allow his father closer again. I hope he'll take the advice.

 

I really feel for Liam. I hope that him and Neil will eventually come together.

 

Keep up the amazing work.

Lots of loving cuddles,

Maarten

Neil's parents are not your stereotypical homophobic parents. They're human, with human failings and emotions. So is their son....
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/21/2015 11:25 PM, impunity said:
Poor Liam. I feel so badly for his plight. Although a small part of me wants to giggle with glee at his comeuppance. I really hate bullies. As much as I want to be a voyeur to the romantic reconciliation, I know I'd never start a relationship with someone who had treated me that badly. I just wish something equally awful would happen to Doug; seeing his friend's misery doesn't seem like enough. :evil:

 

I like how you wove Mothers' Day into Ty's and Neil's stories with very different outcomes. I'm glad Neil has a chance of reconciliation with both of his parents. There doesn't seem to be any hope for Ty, though. His father really is a Grade-A arsehole. I was hoping Karen would find out about Ty's dad's little treachery but I guess you're saving that revelation for another time. Karen was awesome, though. I really wanted to hug her. Actually, I find myself wanting to hug most of your characters. :wub: Arsehole fathers excepted, of course.

Karen's someone special. Ty was really lucky to meet her :) As for Liam, what he's going through is probably only a fraction of what he's put Neil through over the preceding years. Sad, but true....
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/22/2015 01:20 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Well, you got me tearing up again with the Rosewoods. You are also negotiating a wonderful atmosphere of contriteness and forgiveness. Both are admirable traits. Perhaps the best part of this chapter is the discussion of the internal roles in a relationship. They aren't fixed and are very different from what others perceive. We don't know what others experience behind closed doors. It makes things very interesting, richer, and more complex. You are very crafty, Graeme. Kudos to you. :)
Thank you! Neil's parents aren't all bad. They are certainly not your ideal parents, but then most of us don't have those (nor can I say that I'm an ideal parent for my boys -- I just hope my mistakes are never as bad as theirs)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/22/2015 02:20 AM, Defiance19 said:
Ty's dad and Doug, at different levels, frustrate me to no end. Ty is going to have the last laugh at that. This chapter though, was fraught with possibilty. Deon and his dad, Neil and his parents. With Neil, I get his hesitation to trust the sudden change in tide. It will take him a bit. I can only hope that Deon will be more open with his dad, who is certainly trying.

Liam.. He's going to have to sweat it out a while, but I'm starting to feel for him.

I'll admit that even I am not quite sure what to make of Doug. He's an obnoxious bully with a mean streak. He's also a very loyal friend to Liam. He has redeeming features...but most people don't see them.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hi Graeme, another lovely chapter. The pacing of the story is fantastic. You manage to move things forward steadily and have moments of suspense, growth and conflict without ever having to pack a huge chuck of the action into a single chapter. I see other writers here struggle with this and you make it effortless. The only difficulty is waiting till Saturday of rate next chapter.

Cheers

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/24/2015 10:32 PM, Rndmrunner said:
Hi Graeme, another lovely chapter. The pacing of the story is fantastic. You manage to move things forward steadily and have moments of suspense, growth and conflict without ever having to pack a huge chuck of the action into a single chapter. I see other writers here struggle with this and you make it effortless. The only difficulty is waiting till Saturday of rate next chapter.

Cheers

Thank you! The pace of the story has been a big concern of mine. I keep feeling that I'm dragging things out too much, but when I go back and review what's been written, I can't see much that could be dropped without having a significant impact on the story in some way.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..