Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 8,985 Words
  • 3,405 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leopard Spots - 54. Chapter 54

Monday 15th September, 2014

Dr. Andrew Bardley, the local general practitioner who donated his time to the Lilydale Leopards football club, looked up at Ty. “How does that feel?”

Ty grimaced. “No change.”

“Okay.” The doctor started to prepare another injection. “We have to get the painkiller into just the right spot. It may take us a few tries to get it to work.”

Ty tensed as the second needle was inserted into his knee but then smiled as a sense of numbness removed the pain. “That’s it.”

“Excellent!” Dr. Bardley smiled. “I’ll leave you with Jackie, but good luck, Ty. We’re all hoping that this is successful and you’ll be able to play in the grand final.”

Jackie entered the small treatment room as the doctor left. “Okay, brat, let’s get that knee strapped up and then start the testing to see what you can do with it.”

“What’s the plan?” Ty asked as he lay back and let Jackie tape his errant joint to give it extra support.

“We’ll run you through a set of exercises in the gym to test what movement you’ve got and, more importantly, what you still can’t do. That will allow us to work out what needs to be done if you’re going to be fit to play on Sunday.”

Ty swallowed. “So I still may not get to play?”

Jackie paused and caught Ty’s eye. “Nothing’s certain, brat. We’re going to do everything we can to get you ready, but there are some things that are outside of our control. Ask me what I think your odds are after we finish tonight, but don’t ask me now.” She smiled. “And don’t worry if you can’t do everything I ask you to do. It’s only Monday. We’ve still got most of the week to get you fit again.”

“Do you think I can join the guys outside?” Ty wanted to be part of the Monday-night training, even if it was only on the periphery. He hadn’t been there for their win the day before, and he wanted to feel part of the team again.

“Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. I want to see what you’re like in a controlled environment before I let you run free.”

Once Jackie had finished, the two strolled out of the treatment room and into the gym.

“It feels better already,” Ty said. “I don’t see why I can’t go outside for a bit.”

“You’re still favouring the leg slightly, so we’ll start you on the treadmill at a slow walk.” Jackie glanced across and raised a voice. “Neil, can you please move to the next machine? I want that one for the brat.”

“Sure!” Neil stopped his treadmill and then hopped onto the one next to it. He started it up and continued his jog.

“What’s so special about that one?” Ty asked.

Jackie grinned. “It’s now between the ones that Neil and Tony are using. That means there is someone either side to distract you.”

“I don’t get it.” Ty stepped onto the treadmill and hit the quick-start button. He started cautiously, walking at not much more than a slow stroll.

Jackie stepped between Neil and Ty and increased the speed on Ty’s machine slightly. “Tony, Neil, I want you to talk to the brat. You have to make him listen to you and contribute to the conversation. I want his mind off his knee for the next five minutes so he’s walking without thinking about it. Can I rely on your help?”

Tony nodded. “Sure, Jackie, but what should we be talking about?” Tony slowed down his machine to a fast walk. “You’re looking good, Ty. You don’t look like you’re in any pain at all.”

Ty shrugged. “I’m not. We’re testing how things hold up after I’ve had a painkiller.” He glanced at Jackie. “You just want me walking?”

“That’s right. I’ll control the speed; you concentrate on chatting with these two guys.” Jackie stared first at Neil and then at Tony, giving them a not-so-subtle hint.

Tony chuckled. “Okay, Jackie. Ty, Neil, is there anyone you want to invite to the grand final? The club’s arranged for a large group booking. Unlike all our other games, Etihad Stadium has allocated seating, so we want to make sure everyone can be together. We’ve got until Friday to sell the tickets, at which time we hand any left back for match-day sales.” He grinned. “The players are going to be told at the end of training tonight, but you’re finding out early.”

Ty shook his head. “Just Karen. I’ll ask her if she wants to invite any of her friends, though I expect Charlie will be inviting Stacey.” He looked to the other side where Neil had also slowed down to a fast walk. “What about you?”

“Liam and his dad. I don’t know if his mum will want to go. Deon will probably ask Clarissa before me, but I’ll speak to her at school tomorrow.” Neil hesitated. “Do you think it’ll be okay if I ask my mum and dad if they’d like to come?”

Ty grimaced. “Tough call. I know things are getting better there, but there are also a lot of people in the club who don’t like them because of what they did.”

“Ask them, Neil.” Tony shrugged. “It’s academic if they say no. If they say yes, I’ll make sure they’re sitting with people who won’t mind.” He smiled. “I don’t expect people to stay in their assigned seats, anyway. I’m hoping we’ll have enough people to take over one whole section, so everyone can sit with whoever they want.”

Neil pulled a face and then sighed. “Okay. I’ll ring them tonight and see what they say.”

“Speaking of parents, I need some advice from you, Ty.”

“I’m not asking my old man to come!” Ty scowled. “I’ve had enough of that bastard; I don’t want to see him again if I can help it.”

“It’s not that.” Tony smiled. “What I really want is for Jim’s parents to be there, but I want it to be a surprise. Asking them is easy enough, but I’ll also need to find somewhere for them to stay while they’re here.”

Neil frowned. “You don’t think Jim will invite them himself?”

Tony chuckled. “I’m sure he will, but they’ll tell him they’re sorry, but they can’t afford the trip. They also won’t let Jim pay for it.”

Ty grinned. “You’ve already asked, haven’t you?”

Tony shrugged sheepishly. “I booked their flights earlier today after I spoke to them. They’re looking forward to not only seeing Jim again, but also hopefully watch the team win a premiership. I just need to find somewhere for them to stay. While their budget could stretch to a motel room for a couple of nights, they’re not keen on that option. I get the impression that they don’t have a lot of money saved.”

“They can sleep at our place. Dad could stay with you, and they could have his room.”

Tony shook his head. “Peter keeps saying you need to keep things as normal as possible. Spending the night before a big game at my apartment isn’t doing that. Jim needs to get a good night’s sleep in his own bed.”

Ty chuckled. “Yeah, I suppose so. Staying with you, he probably wouldn’t get much sleep at all.” Ty’s brow wrinkled as he thought. “Why don’t you put them up at your place and you stay with us?” Ty smirked. “You can sleep on the couch.”

Tony grinned. “Yeah, right. However, that would mean they’ll be meeting Alex, and I don’t think I’m ready for that.” He gave Ty and Neil a sheepish look. “This will be the first time I’ve met them as Jim’s boyfriend, and I’m not sure introducing them to Alex immediately afterwards would create a good impression.”

“You’ve met them before?” Neil asked.

“At Jim’s 21st, but that was before he told them he’s gay.” Tony frowned. “Now where did they stay that time? I can’t remember.”

“They stayed with Peter,” Ty said. “Can he take them again?”

Tony shrugged. “I don’t know. All I can do is ask.”

“Let me know if he can’t,” Neil said. “I’ll check to see if Liam’s parents will be able to put them up. How long would it be for?”

“Two nights. The flights I’ve booked have them arriving Saturday at lunchtime and then flying back Monday afternoon.” Tony smiled. “I think everyone is hoping that Sunday night will be spent celebrating. No one will want to be heading off to the airport after the game.”

Ty grinned. “Too right! Deon told me that Sam and Marcus are trying to get Monday off so they can stay the extra night. I also heard a rumour that there’s something being organised for after the game on Sunday night.” He raised an eyebrow at Tony.

“Yeah, there is. We’re all hoping it’ll be a celebration and not a wake, but the club’s organising a get-together in the city. We’re expecting a couple of hundred people.”

“Whereabouts?” Ty asked.

Tony smiled. “We’ve booked one of the function rooms at the Crown Casino. We’ll be selling tickets for that, too, but the club is going to pay for the players and subsidise the costs for the staff and family members. And for those who couldn’t afford it, or couldn’t stay because it’s a Sunday night, the club has organised a family day for the club the following Saturday, along with a large-screen projector so everyone can watch the AFL grand final. If you win, this place is going to be packed.”

Neil frowned. “Er...speaking of affording tickets, how much are the tickets for the grand final? I’m guessing they’ll be more than normal.”

Tony grinned. “Don’t worry, it’s not that much – $20 for an adult and $15 for a concession. Kids get in free.”

“$15 each for me and Liam, then.”

Ty scowled. “Do you really think you’ll have to pay?” He turned to Tony. “The club will pay for him, won’t they?”

“Of course.” Tony smiled. “Just like for all the other matches where he’s worked.”

Jackie interrupted. “Thanks, guys, but it’s time for the brat to get busy on the weight machines. He’s still got lots to do, though this has gone well. You kept his mind off what he was doing, just like I asked.”

Ty glanced at the treadmill controls as Jackie reached over and hit the cool-down button. He hadn’t realised that she’d increased the pace to that of a steady walk while they had been talking.

* * *

“Hi, Mum.” Neil had the bedroom to himself as Todd was busy cleaning his football gear. He didn’t have a lot of time, as he needed to start cooking dinner for his housemates, but he wanted to ring his parents.

“Neil! We weren’t expecting you to call. Nothing’s wrong, I hope.” Neil’s mother’s tone had quickly morphed from pleasantly surprised to worried.

“No, everything’s fine. I just wanted to ask...”

“Ask what?”

Neil took a quick breath. “Would you like to come to the game on Sunday? It’s the grand final, and the Leopards are playing Footscray. It’ll be at Etihad Stadium in the city at 2:15 pm. The club’s organising a group booking so the supporters can all sit together.”

Mary Rosewood chuckled. “Slow down, Neil. I’ll check with your father, but I’m sure he’ll be as thrilled as I am to sit with you to watch the game.”

“Er...I won’t be with you. I’m part of the support group, and I’ll be down with the team on the oval. Tony said he’d make sure you’ll be seated with someone you know, though. He suggested Glenda, the front-office manager.”

There was a distinct pause before his mother responded. “That’s fine, dear. Will we get to say hello to you?”

“I’ll make sure I see you. After the game, if not before. It’ll mean a lot to me if you can be there.”

“Then we will.” Mary’s tone was firm. “How do we get the tickets?”

Neil gave her the information that Tony had supplied, and his mother said she would sort out the rest of the details with Glenda in the morning. The two then chatted for a couple more minutes before Neil raised the courage to discuss the other subject he wanted to talk about.

“Mum, do you remember Jim Henderson from the club?”

There was another pause. “He’s the...homosexual...isn’t he?”

“That’s him. His parents are flying in from South Australia for the grand final, and Tony’s trying to find a place for them to stay for a couple of nights. I haven’t mentioned this to him, but would you and dad consider putting them up for Saturday and Sunday night?”

“Why can’t they stay with their son?”

“They don’t have a spare bed at their place, and the team’s trying to keep to their regular routine leading into the grand final, so Jim giving up his room and sleeping on the couch isn’t an option.” Neil hesitated. “Also, Jim doesn’t know about this. It’s supposed to be a surprise.”

“I don’t know, Neil. It’s...”

Neil scowled as he used her tone to read between the lines. “Is it because of who Jim is?”

“No, of course not!” Mrs. Rosewood’s response was rushed, leading Neil to the opposite conclusion. “It’s that we don’t know them. I’m not comfortable letting total strangers stay here. What would we talk about?”

“You and they have something in common, Mum.” Neil hardened his tone. “You both have gay sons. Maybe you can talk about that?”

“Neil, I...”

Neil waited for her to continue, but there was only a faint sound coming over the phone line, and he couldn’t work out what it meant.

“Neil?” his father’s voice asked after almost half a minute.

“Yeah, Dad. How’s things?”

“What did you say to your mother? She’s all upset.” Phil Rosewood sounded concerned and puzzled.

“Never mind.” Neil sighed. “Tell her to forget it.”

“Forget what? You know we’ll do whatever we can for you.”

“I asked her if you would be willing to put up Jim’s parents for a couple of nights. They’re flying in from South Australia on Saturday to surprise him.”

“Are you talking about Jim Henderson’s parents?”

“Yes.” Neil continued in a bitter tone. “I pointed out to her that they had something in common with you two. They also have a gay son.”

“Neil...” Phil’s tone was one of exasperation. “You know that sets off your mum. Can’t you leave it be, even for a little while?”

“It’s who I am, Dad!”

“I know, but your mum’s still struggling with that. She loves you, Neil – I do, too – but she needs time.”

“How much time? How long do I have to wait before she accepts me for who I am?”

Neil’s father sighed. “I don’t know. She’s worried for you, worried that you’re going to sicken and die too young. Worried that you’re going to....” There was a pause. “We just want you to be safe, Neil. If we struggle at times, it’s not because we don’t love you.”

“I know.” Neil grimaced. He recognised the truth in what his father had told him, even though he found his mother’s apparently wilful avoidance of the subject frustrating. “Anyway, as I said, you can tell her not to worry. I’m going to ask Liam’s parents if they can put up Jim’s mum and dad.”

“Don’t be too hasty, Neil. Give me a chance to talk to your mum, and we’ll see what we can do. If this means so much to you, I’d like to do what you want.”

Neil heard the sincerity in his father’s voice. He pulled a face and then sighed. “Okay, Dad. I’ll still ask Liam’s mum and dad, but I’ll tell them that I’ve also asked you. For now, I have to hang up. It’s my night to get dinner ready for the guys.”

“Okay, Neil. I’ll call you back later to let you know if we can help.”

* * *

Jim frowned as he stared into the refrigerator. “Whose turn was it to do the grocery shopping this week?”

Ty winced. “Sorry, I’ve been a little busy. I’ll do it now.”

Jim glanced across at where Ryan, Ty, Deon, and Tony were sitting around the kitchen table. “Okay, you’ve had other things to do. I’ll hold dinner until you get back.” He smiled. “I think we can all excuse you this time, though you should’ve told someone so they could’ve gone in your place.”

Tony’s brow was wrinkled. “Should Ty be driving? He wasn’t in a fit state to do that last week.”

Ty bit his lower lip for a moment. “The knee’s still a little numb. I should be fine.”

Deon stood up. “I’ll go with him, just in case. Where’s the list?”

“I’ll get it for you.” Jim headed to the corkboard on the side wall. “I’ll mark the things we really need. Leave the rest; I’ll get them tomorrow sometime.”

A few minutes later, Ty was driving to the Lilydale Marketplace shopping centre with Deon in the passenger seat. Ty concentrated as he manoeuvred his way along the back streets of Lilydale.

“Is there any particular reason you’re going this way?” Deon asked.

Ty shrugged. “Less traffic.”

“Your knee’s hurting. That’s why you’re going slower than normal, too.”

Ty flinched. “Maybe you should drive home.”

Deon slowly shook his head. “Why didn’t you say something?”

“Because I thought I could do this. Because I’m fucking tired of being an invalid. Because I don’t want to be chauffeured everywhere, okay?” Ty’s anger and frustration rose with each sentence.

Deon held up his hands. “Don’t go off on me, brat. I just asked a question.”

Ty sighed, and his shoulders slumped. “We’re almost there.” He glared, though without taking his eyes off the road. “If you tell anyone about this...”

Deon smiled. “You’ll tell everyone that I’m being a big baby, right?”

Ty paused and then chuckled. “Right.” He flicked his eyes to his passenger for a moment. “Thanks, mate.”

“But I’m driving back.”

“Of course!” Ty grinned. “Having someone drive me everywhere is a privilege I richly deserve.”

Deon grinned. “I think you need to exercise that knee more. I’ll take the car, and you can walk home.”

“Hey, that’s not fair! If I do that, I’ll miss dinner. I worked really hard at training tonight.”

Deon’s response wasn’t the sarcastic one that Ty expected. “Yeah, you did. Everyone was surprised when you jogged that lap.”

Ty pulled into the car park. “I’d finished all the tests that Jackie had given me, so I asked her if I could go out and join you guys. She said I could do one lap, but no more, and I wasn’t allowed to run hard. The knee felt good, but the painkillers are wearing off now. I don’t think I could go jogging at the moment.”

Ty parked the car in an area where there were no other vehicles. Deon hesitated. “Do you need any help getting out?”

“No!” Ty pulled a face. “Let me do this myself.” It was the bending of the knee to get it out from under the steering wheel that was the painful part, and Ty was much happier once he was upright. “Okay, time to go shopping.”

Ty walked slowly but deliberately towards the entrance of the shopping centre. At that time of night only the entrance to the supermarket and bottle shop was open; the rest of the shops were closed. With Deon at his side, the two strolled along the passage that ran along the side of the supermarket and then out into the main corridor that fronted the store.

“What the fuck...?” Deon glanced at Ty. “Did you know about this?”

Ty shook his head. The area in front of the supermarket was decorated in brown and black streamers and balloons. A banner stretched between two pillars read GO LEOPARDS! Ty glanced down the corridor to his right. While the security shutter to the rest of the shopping centre complex was down, he could see similar decorations outside many of the shops.

“I think the people of Lilydale really want us to win on Sunday,” Ty said.

“Yeah...” Deon glanced around for another couple of seconds, an expression of disbelief on his face. He then made a face. “This isn’t getting the shopping done. You get a trolley and I’ll do most of the walking around. We don’t want you overdoing the exercise.”

The two were in the supermarket for less than a minute before the first stranger approached them. “Good luck, guys. I hope you win!” he said as he walked past, carrying a shopping basket containing a handful of groceries.

“Er...thanks.” As soon as the guy was out of earshot, Ty turned to Deon. “Do you know him?”

“No. I thought you did since you responded.” Deon looked at the Leopards jacket Ty was wearing, and then down at his own. “I suppose we stand out.”

Their shopping trip was punctuated with similar greetings and words of encouragement from numerous strangers. A couple of people addressed them by name, congratulating Deon on being the top scorer for the VFL and wishing Ty all the best for his recovery. When they finally made it to the checkout counters, they found the night manager of the store waiting, giving them a 10% discount, while wishing them all the best for the grand final.

Ty waved a hand at the decorations around the supermarket entrance. “When did all of this go up?”

“Today, though the organising started as soon as you won the preliminary final.” The manager, a young man in his late twenties, grinned. “Wait until tomorrow. I heard that the council is having similar decorations put up along the Maroondah Highway. This is the biggest thing to happen in Lilydale for years.”

Ty and Deon exchanged looks of disbelief. Neither of them had expected the local-community reaction to the team making the VFL grand final.

* * *

Deon laughed at the slurred sounds coming over the phone. “Kev, you’ve obviously had a lot to drink.”

“Yep! It’s been so long, I’m making up for lost time.” Kevin Scanlan was a happy drunk.

Deon could hear the sounds of other inebriated guys in the background. “What’s going on up there?”

“It’s our Mad Monday celebration. My season is over...”

Deon frowned. “But isn’t that supposed to be the Monday after the last game? Sydney’s playing on Friday night.” Mad Monday was an AFL tradition: a final team celebration before the end-of-season review with the coaching staff and the start of an eight-week break from football.

“It’s over for me and the other players in the reserves. We had our grand final last weekend.”

“Yeah, I know. I sent you a text, remember. I saw the results as soon as they were online.” Deon hesitated and then decided to not mention the details. The Sydney Swans reserves had lost by two points when Aspley kicked a goal after the siren. The Swans had been up by over five goals going into the final quarter but Aspley had kicked six goals to Sydney’s one as well as enough behinds to take the lead.

“That’s right, you did.” Kevin giggled. “Sorry, I can’t remember who I spoke to and who I didn’t.”

Deon grinned. “So you’re ringing now to let me know?”

“No...well...maybe. Now why did I call you?” Kevin’s voice became less clear as he called out to someone else. “What the fuck was I ringing Deon for?” There was an indistinct response and a lot of laughter. “Oh, yeah.... I’m coming home for a few weeks. Can you get me a ticket for your grand final? I want to see it. I hope you do better than we did.”

Deon’s eyes widened with surprise. “Sure! I’ve got to ask Clarissa if she wants to go, too, so I’ll get tickets for both of you.”

“Great! I’ll see you there.”

Kevin hung up just before Deon asked how to get the ticket to him. After a moment, Deon chuckled and decided he’d ring back later in the week when Kevin was hopefully sober.

* * *

It was Tuesday morning when Liam pulled away from the train-station wall he had been leaning against and headed over to greet his boyfriend, who had just alighted from the train. “G’day.” Almost unselfconsciously, he gave Neil a quick kiss. They had started to make that a habit after they mutually agreed that they shouldn’t be afraid to make displays of affection in public. “Did you hear back from your parents last night?”

“Yeah. It was late, though. They’re both coming to the grand final, and if Jim’s parents need a place to stay, they can stay with my mum and dad.”

The two started their stroll to school. The school term was winding down, but that meant the last week was loaded with revision tests as they got ready for their end-of-year, state-wide exams in November.

“Have you let Tony know yet?” Liam smiled. “Mum and Dad said if there weren’t any other options, they could stay with us, but it wasn’t ideal. Noel sometimes has a problem if people he doesn’t know stay too long. If needed, he can be told he has to just accept it, but it’s easier if we don’t have to force things on him.”

“I’ll ring Tony mid-morning. That way I know he’ll be at work and Jim will hopefully not be around, so Tony will be free to talk.” Neil pulled a face. “Do you think it’ll be better for Jim’s parents to stay with my parents or yours? I’ll admit I’m being selfish; I’m hoping they’ll help Mum get used to the idea that I’m gay. But I don’t want to mess up their trip to Melbourne, either.”

“Leave it to Tony to decide. You’ve done your bit, which was to find places for them to stay. He’s got my house as a fallback if he can’t find anywhere else.” Liam grinned. “Are you getting excited? Sunday’s not that far away.”

Neil grinned back. “Yeah, I am, and so are the guys. Ollie’s beginning to stress out, but Todd and Paul are both playing it cool.” He chuckled. “Ollie’s trying to decide if he wants Helena to stay the night on Saturday. She didn’t last week and the guys won, but she normally does, and Peter’s told everyone to stick to their normal routine as much as possible. Ollie doesn’t know what to do.”

“Sex or football...” Liam chuckled. “Tough choice. Let me know what Ollie decides.” He hesitated for a moment, wondering if it was the right time, but knowing there would probably never be a perfect opportunity. “My folks said you could stay at our place on Sunday night after the game if you wanted. That’s another reason why it might be better for Jim’s parents to stay with yours and not mine. Mum and Dad will expect us to do some study on Monday, but they said we could sleep in. We’re going to have two weeks without classes, but I need to put in some hard work if I’m going to get good marks at the end of the year. So, what do you say? Do you want to spend the night at my place?”

Neil’s face went unreadable. The two walked in silence for almost a minute while Liam waited nervously for Neil’s response. Liam opened his mouth twice to say something, but closed it again without speaking. He’d put the offer on the table, and it was time to let Neil think. Liam didn’t want to make it appear that he was pressuring his boyfriend.

Eventually Neil grimaced. “There’s a post-match dinner being planned at Crown Casino. The club’s organising it, and they’re giving the staff discounted tickets. The players will all be there, and the guys are expecting me to go, too.”

Liam scowled for a moment and then grinned. “Let me speak to my dad. Since Mum’s staying home to look after Noel, it’ll just be him and me at the game. He might allow me to attend the party, especially if the Leopards win.”

“You’ll need to purchase the ticket beforehand. There’s a limited number, and they’ve already allocated out a bunch for sponsors as well as players and staff.” Neil sighed. “Thanks for the offer, Liam. I’d like that, but I need to be at this event. The guys mean a lot to me. You do, too,” he quickly added, “but it’s different.”

Liam smiled. “Yeah, I know. They took you in when you needed help, and we’ll have other chances to get together. A post-grand-final get-together doesn’t happen every day. Hopefully, Dad will let me go with you. If not...” Liam shrugged.

“Thanks.” Neil grabbed Liam’s hand and pulled him to a stop. He then gave Liam another quick kiss. “If Sunday night doesn’t happen, we’ll work out another date I can spend the night with you.”

* * *

“...so who wants tickets for the game?” Liam glanced around at his friends. He had caught up with his school football mates at lunchtime and had told them about the group booking that the Leopards were organising.

“Is Four-Dork going to be there?” one guy asked.

Liam did his best to keep a scowl from his face, though he doubted he was completely successful. “He’ll be there, but he won’t be sitting with us. I can promise you that.” His expression lightened as he wondered what their reaction would be when they saw Neil out on the oval with the players. He suspected most of them didn’t know that Neil was one of the Leopard runners.

Doug scowled, and Liam threw him a hard look. He didn’t want Doug explaining where Neil would be during the match.

Another guy smiled. “I’ll need to get back to you, Liam, but, yeah, I’d like to see the game. My old man might want to go, too. How much for adults?”

“Not a lot: $20.” Liam pulled out a piece of paper and pen from his backpack. “If anyone interested can let me know how many tickets they’ll want, I’ll let the club know. I’ll need payment by Thursday lunchtime. I’ll collect the tickets that night and then hand them out on Friday. How does that sound?”

“Sounds good to me.” Doug smiled. “Put me down for one ticket, and I’ll check with my dad to see if he wants to go, too.” He glanced at the other guys. “Anyone else going?”

Fifteen minutes later, Liam was whistling as he headed to where Neil would be with the girls. He had nine guys who said they’d like tickets, several of whom thought that they might need extras for other people who may want to go. Another five guys promised to get back to him on Wednesday.

Neil looked up and smiled. “How did it go?”

“I expect we’ll have a group of around ten to twenty people to cheer the team on.” Liam turned to Clarissa. “Are you going on Sunday?”

“Deon’s already asked me.” She cocked her head. “I don’t think he’s organised the ticket yet, so why don’t you put my name down for your group? At least that way I’ll know who I’ll be sitting with. I’ll let him know, and if he’s already got the tickets, I’ll tell you tomorrow.”

Neil smiled. “Tony indicated he expected everyone to move around and not necessarily stick to the allocated seats, so don’t worry about who you’re going to be next to.”

“Still, unless I’m sitting with Karen, Helena, and Stacey, Liam’s an acceptable second choice.” She grinned to show she wasn’t serious and then turned to Evelyn and Mary. “How about you two?”

“I’ll be there.” Evelyn nodded to Liam. “Add me to your list.”

“And me.” Mary smiled. “I hope they win.”

Clarissa frowned. “You haven’t been to a match since you stopped dating Jarrod. Why now?”

Mary didn’t meet her eyes. “I’m going for Neil.” She glanced across. “You’d like me to go, don’t you?”

“Of course!” Neil hesitated for a moment. “Jarrod asks about you from time to time.”

“Does he?” Mary looked away. “He’s a nice guy. I’m still sorry it didn’t work out.”

* * *

“Hello, Matt.” Anne Flintlock smiled as she stood up. “It’s good to see you again.”

“It’s a pleasure to be here, and I hope there’s going to be an even bigger pleasure on Sunday night.” Matt Riley smiled back as he shook her hand before sitting down opposite her.

“So, to what do I owe this pleasure?”

Matt leant forward. “I know that you’ve given Gary and me tickets to the party after the match because we’re sponsors, but we want to pay.” He smiled. “I think I know you well enough that the only way we’d be able to pay is if we forced it on you, so here I am.” He settled back in his chair.

Anne stared back and then grinned. “Tony warned me that you and Gary were stubborn. Okay, I won’t fight.”

“Good.” Matt pulled a folded piece of paper from his jacket pocket. “Here’s a cheque for $1000. That should cover our tickets.”

Anne’s jaw dropped. “Matt, that’s too much!”

Matt shook his head. “You don’t understand. As far as Gary and I are concerned, the Leopards are family. That is something we decided back in March when you first needed our help, and we’ve had no regrets about that decision. We know that your finances are still tight, but we want to make sure that Sunday night is a celebration. If it’s not a celebration of victory, it’ll be a celebration of triumph over adversity. The Leopards have already won where it’s important: in the hearts of their supporters. Gary and I want Sunday night to be everything it should be.” He grinned. “We hope we’ll be celebrating with a premiership winning team, but we’re celebrating, regardless. That cheque is to help make sure that the night is up to scratch. We don’t want to be disappointed.”

“Thank you. I don’t know what else to say.” Anne smiled across the desk. “You and Gary have already done so much for us.”

Matt stood up as he prepared to leave. “We’ll wait until after the finals to do the paperwork, but I also wanted to let you know that we’ll be sponsoring the club next year. That’s in addition to sponsoring Jarrod.”

“Thank you,” Anne repeated as she stood up. “Thank you very much.”

* * *

Tony hesitated before he steeled his nerve and marched up to the front door. He thought he was safe, but there was an undercurrent of fear that warned him that he could be wrong. Pushing his uncertainties aside, he rang the doorbell.

“Yes?” the middle-aged woman who answered the door asked.

“Mrs. Rosewood? I’m Tony Hills from the Lilydale Leopards Football Club. Would I be able to take up a bit of your time?”

Neil’s mother took a half-step forward, an anxious look on her face. “Is Neil okay? Has something happened?”

Tony smiled, trying to be reassuring. “Neil’s fine. I’m just checking up on something he organised. May I come in?”

“Oh, sorry.” She stepped back. “I’m sorry, I was just concerned that Neil was sick or in trouble.” She turned her head and raised her voice. “Phil? We have a visitor.”

Tony couldn’t stop himself from tensing up, but he took a couple of slow deep breaths as he followed Mrs. Rosewood into the lounge room. A couple of minutes later, he was seated opposite Phil Rosewood while Neil’s mother was in the kitchen organising an impromptu afternoon tea.

Tony tried to not let his examination of Neil’s father be too obvious. The man was muscular with a weathered face, but Tony sensed there was something wrong. He wasn’t able to pinpoint why, but Mr. Rosewood gave him the impression of a warrior beaten in battle.

“Are you another one of the players who’s been looking after our son?” Phil asked.

Tony shook his head. “While I work out in the gym with Neil regularly, I’m one of the staff members, not one of the players.”

Phil gave him a weak smile. “A workout partner. I could never get Neil motivated to go to a gym. Well, thank you for that, at least.” He lowered his eyes. “It seems we owe the Leopards a lot.”

Tony diplomatically decided to change the topic. “I believe Neil rang you last night about this weekend.”

Phil looked up and smiled. “Yeah. He invited us to watch the Leopards play. I think that’s his way of saying he forgives us, even if he’s not able to move back home.”

“He also asked for a favour...” Tony waited to see what sort of reaction he would get.

“He asked if Jim Henderson’s parents could stay here for a couple of nights.” Phil glanced towards the kitchen door and then lowered his voice. “I think it’d be good if they did. It might help heal a few rifts.”

“Your wife isn’t keen?” Tony asked.

Phil flinched. “She’d be the perfect hostess, but she’d prefer it if Henderson and his boyfriend didn’t visit. She’s not sure if she could cope with that.” He gave Tony a beseeching look. “Neil asked us to take them in. I really want to help simply because he asked. If we need to do something to make it happen, just let me know.”

Tony also lowered his voice. “Just so you know, I’m Jim’s boyfriend.”

Phil’s eyes flickered, but Tony couldn’t detect anything other than surprise. Neil’s father then nodded. “Thanks for telling me.”

“If they stay here, Jim and I will probably bring them and pick them up on Monday, but otherwise we’ll stay away.”

Mary Rosewood entered at that point carrying a tray loaded with three steaming cups, each on a saucer, and a plate holding a small collection of cupcakes. “I’m sorry, but I didn’t have anything else ready to eat. The church had a fundraiser on the weekend, and most of the things I baked went there.”

Tony smiled. “Ollie’s told me about your cooking. He raved about your carrot cake for a couple of days after he visited.”

Mary blushed as she handed out the drink. “I’m glad he enjoyed it. I don’t make it very often any more. It’s hard with just the two of us. Too many things go stale before we finish eating them.”

“I can appreciate that, and I’m sorry I showed up unannounced, but Neil only spoke to me at lunchtime today.”

“What about?” Mary asked. “Is there a problem?”

“It’s about the Henderson boy’s parents staying here on the weekend.” Phil turned to Tony. “Neil told us he was also going to ask Liam’s parents, but they’re more than welcome to stay with us.”

Tony kept a surreptitious eye on Neil’s mother. “That’s why I came. I wanted to make sure it was okay before I let Jim’s parents know the options on where they’ll be staying.”

Mary’s hands shook slightly, but she tried to hide her reaction by taking a sip of her tea.

“Yes, it’s okay. We’d love to have them, wouldn’t we, Mary?” Phil asked.

“Of course,” Mary said, though her tone indicated uncertainty. “But we don’t really know much about them. What can you tell us?”

Tony smiled. “I’ve only met them once – at Jim’s 21st birthday party – but they seemed like decent, down-to-earth people.” He chuckled. “I hope it’s not going to cause confusion, but Jim’s father is also a Philip, while his mother’s name is Jessica. He works in road construction; she does part-time work at their local library...”

* * *

“Hi, Mrs. Henderson. It’s Tony again.” Tony was driving back to Lilydale, using his hands-free unit to ring Jim’s parents. With the amount of driving he did for his job, he had become accustomed to using the time in the car to make phone calls.

“Tony! I didn’t think you’d get back to us so quickly. And please, I told you before: call me Jessica.”

“Okay, Jessica. Peter isn’t able to put you and your husband up this weekend because he’s got relatives coming to stay with him.” Tony chuckled. “It looks like quite a few families are gathering together for this weekend. However, a friend of ours has found a couple of places for you to stay.”

“Philip and I are looking forward to surprising Jim. He was quite disappointed when we told him that we already had plans for this weekend that we couldn’t get out of.” Jim’s mother’s amusement came through clearly. “Let us know what we have to do and where we have to go, and then concentrate on making sure Jim’s ready for Sunday. We’ll try not to be too much trouble.”

“Thanks, Jessica. The reason I’m ringing is because I wanted to ask your preference on who you stay with for the two nights.”

“Do we know either of them? Otherwise, just pick one. I’m sure it’ll be fine.”

Tony pulled a face. “I would be surprised if you knew either of the two couples, but you probably know of one of them. Do you remember back in May when Jim was on TV because the Leopards took in a runaway?”

“Oh, yes. The poor kid. I don’t really understand how a father could do that to their own child.”

“Things have changed a lot since then. Neil’s father has come around, and he regrets what he did. Neil’s the one who’s found two places for you to stay. The options are with his parents or his boyfriend’s parents. His boyfriend’s parents were reluctant because of other things going on, but they’ll take you in if there’s no other option, so you’ve definitely got a place to stay.” Tony paused before getting into the details. “I’ve just finished speaking to Neil’s parents, and his father is honestly remorseful. His mother worries all the time about her son, but she’s struggling to cope with the fact that he’s gay. Neil would like you to stay with them, but I didn’t want to commit to that without talking to you first. Things might get a little tense because of Mary’s – that’s Neil’s mother – issues with homosexuality.”

There was silence for several seconds. “I don’t know.... What do you think?”

“There’s no danger, if that’s what you’re worried about. Mary is having trouble accepting that her son is gay. She knows it, but she’s not acknowledging it. She’s trying really hard, but it’s not something she’s resolved yet. Phil – Neil’s father – seems to be well along the path to acceptance. He knows what he did was wrong, and he’ll do whatever’s needed to show Neil how much he loves him. Neil asked them to take you in for a couple of nights, and his father’s swung right behind that idea.

“However, if you’re concerned, we have a fallback option, so you have a choice.”

“How will we be getting to the match on Sunday?” Jessica asked.

Tony smiled. “Both families are going to the game and will be able to take you. Don’t worry about that. I’ve also bought you tickets for the post-game party at Crown Casino, but Jim and I will make sure you get back safely.”

Jessica laughed. “If they win, I think it’ll be more Philip and I getting you two home safely. Jim will probably get wasted while celebrating.”

Tony chuckled. “True, but I’m not a big drinker, so I was planning on being the designated driver.”

There was a short pause. “What do you recommend?” Jessica asked in a more serious tone.

“I don’t know. Sorry, I know that’s not helpful, but I’m in two minds. I like Neil and trust him, but I’ve also heard how his father reacted to Jim after Neil ran away. I’m pretty sure he’s past that, but I can’t stop worrying. I was nervous when I went to see them just now, but Neil’s father was fine – more than fine. It’s just...”

“Once bitten, twice shy?” Jessica sighed. “I’ll talk it over with Philip when he gets home, and I’ll get back to you tonight. We’ve all done stupid things in our lives, Tony. Sometimes they follow us around for a lot longer than is fair. Maybe this is one of those times.”

“Yeah, but Jim would never forgive me if I put you in harm’s way.”

* * *

“What do you think is going on with Mary?” Neil asked Clarissa as he and Liam sat opposite her at the coffee shop for their regular Tuesday afternoon after-school drink. “She sounded like she’d like to be dating Jarrod again. I know he wouldn’t mind that.”

Clarissa shrugged. “She and Jarrod hit it off pretty well to start with, but then they found they didn’t have a lot in common. That’s why they broke up, but it seems clear to me that she still has feelings for him.”

Neil nodded slowly. “As I told her at lunchtime, Jarrod still asks about her. Not often, but enough so I know he still thinks of her, and he hopes she’s okay. So, why do you think she’s coming to the match on Sunday?”

“To support you, of course.” Clarissa smiled. “But I think she also wants to see Jarrod again, even if it’s from a distance.”

Liam looked thoughtful. “He must’ve made a pretty strong impression on her if she’s still thinking of him after all this time. They broke up more than two months ago, and they’d only been going out a short time.”

“Do you think they’ll get back together?” Neil asked, looking first at Liam and then at Clarissa.

“No.” Clarissa’s comment was blunt but sad. “Or at least not any time soon. They need to find some common ground to build up a relationship, and that will take time. Mary may’ve realised that, and she might be going on Sunday to see if she can develop an interest in football. Jarrod would need to meet her halfway, though, and find something other than football that the two of them can talk about.”

“They’ve both got a start on that one.” Liam smiled at Neil. “Having friends in common is a good place to begin.” He glanced across the table at Clarissa. “But you’re right; they’ll need more than that.”

“What about you and Deon?” Neil asked. “What’s your common ground outside of football?”

Clarissa seemed startled. “Er...well...we’re still working on that one.” She snorted. “But the village idiot is right: having friends in common is a good start. Karen’s keeping me up-to-date on the team gossip, so we often talk about that.”

“You haven’t called Liam that for a long time.” Neil narrowed his eyes.

Liam chuckled. “She hasn’t been put off-balance for a long time. I don’t think she expected that question.” Liam smirked as he raised an eyebrow in her direction.

“Neil, can you please tell your boyfriend that he’s coming very close to getting a kick in a place where you probably don’t want him injured.” Clarissa smiled sweetly. “It’s in your own best interest to get him to shut the fuck up!

Neil laughed.

* * *

Wednesday night, Tony chuckled as he listened to the swearing behind him while he looked out the gym window at the players training in the rain. Jackie had not only forbidden Ty to go out in the mud but she also wouldn’t let Dr. Bardley give him a painkiller injection. She wanted to see what Ty could do without the benefit of a numb knee. Ty had progressed from pleading to cursing as Jackie ran him through a set of exercises to test his limits.

“How many people do you think are out there watching the guys?” Neil asked as he moved up next to Tony.

Tony shrugged. “At least a couple of hundred. Not bad considering the weather. I think there’ll be more on Friday if it’s fine like they’re forecasting.”

“This really is a big thing, isn’t it? I mean all these people coming to watch the guys train and the decorations in the main street. Most of the shops have some sort of sign up showing their support for the club. I never expected any of this.”

Tony chuckled at the wonder in Neil’s voice. “Where I grew up, the local football club was fairly successful, and this sort of things happened every time they made the local district finals. The Leopards are higher profile even if they’re not an AFL team, so I half-expected it. If anything, I’m surprised the hype didn’t start earlier.” He glanced across. “Have you finished your workout?”

“Not quite. I’ve got a few more exercises to do. Can you spot for me?” Neil asked.

“Sure.” He followed Neil over to the bench press. “Ready when you are.”

Tony helped Neil through his three sets of presses before sharing a grin with his sometime gym partner at a renewed bout of cursing from the other side of the gym. “Someone doesn’t sound too happy.”

Neil chuckled. “No, but do you blame him? He wants to get out there and train.”

“He’s training in here. While I’ve been jogging when it’s raining, I much prefer to be inside when it’s wet. He should be grateful.”

Neil moved to the lat pulldown machine but hesitated before sitting down. “Mum told me that you went to see them yesterday.”

Tony moved over and sat down on a spare exercise bench nearby. “I did. I wanted to make sure everything was okay before I spoke to Jim’s parents.”

Neil frowned for a moment and then nodded. “You weren’t in the room when Dad went off at Jim after I ran away. My parents don’t know who you are.”

Tony smiled. “Your father does. I told him while I was there. He indicated I shouldn’t mention anything to your mum, though.”

Neil flinched. “Am I being selfish asking for Jim’s parents to stay with mine? I know they need somewhere to stay, but I’m also hoping it might help Mum. Liam’s mother has spoken to her a few times, but she doesn’t seem to be getting through.”

Tony hesitated and then smiled. “You’re being a little selfish, but I don’t have a problem with that. It was always your father who was the risk when it came to people meeting them, and I think he’s fine. He’s very supportive of you. Your mother is, too, but she’s still a bit reserved at times.”

“What time are you bringing Jim’s mum and dad to my parents’ house?”

“Probably between one thirty and two, depending on traffic. Why?”

Neil pulled a face. “I think I should be there; it might help things go smoother. I won’t take Liam, though. That’ll just set Mum off.”

Tony sighed. “Are you ready to be with your parents by yourself?”

Neil dropped his head. “No...” He looked up. “Todd’s going to be with Lorraine, but Paul might be able to take me. I’ll have lunch with them, which will hopefully put Mum in a good mood for when Jim’s parents arrive.”

Tony nodded slowly. “If you’re willing to live dangerously, there’s another option.” He grinned.

Neil frowned. “What do you mean?”

Tony looked over to where Ty was sweating through some one-legged squats on his injured knee. “Why don’t you ask the brat if he’ll join you for that lunch? He knows about the surprise, and he gets along well with Jim’s parents even though, like me, he’s only met them once. Your parents also know him, which I think is important.”

“Do you think that’ll be a good idea?” Neil looked nervous.

“It’ll be fine.” Tony smiled. We just have to make sure Karen goes, too.” Tony stood up and tilted his head in Ty’s direction. “Come on. Let’s go ask him.”

The two headed over to where Jackie was keeping a careful eye on Ty. They waited until he had finished his squats. Tony glanced at Neil and then took the lead when it became obvious that Neil didn’t want to be the one to speak first.

“Brat, are you and Karen doing anything for Saturday lunch?” Tony asked.

“We’re going out, but we haven’t picked a place yet. Why?” Ty glanced at Jackie, who indicated it was time for him to get back on the treadmill.

Tony nudged Neil.

Neil dropped his gaze to the gym floor. “I’m thinking of going home for lunch. Tony’s going to bring Jim’s parents around that afternoon, and I wanted to be there when they arrive.” He looked up. “Would you like to come for lunch, too?”

Ty grinned as he started up the treadmill. “Sounds great, mate. If your folks are happy to have Karen and me there, we’d love a home-cooked meal. We won’t be able to stay late because Karen’ll be working that afternoon, but hopefully we’ll still be there when Grandma and Grandpa show up.”

Neil frowned. “Who?”

Tony chuckled. “Ty’s logic is that since Jim’s his dad that makes Jim’s parents his grandparents.”

“It’s not logic; it’s fact.” Ty grinned at Neil. “You agree, don’t you?”

Neil grinned. “Yeah, right. If you say so.”

Ty winked at Tony. “See, I told you. Even Neil agrees with me.”

Tony shook his head, though he couldn’t help smiling while he did so. “Brat.”

Don't forget you can also comment in the discussion forum thread!
Copyright © 2015 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I liked all the preparations, including the plans to have Jim's parents stay with Neil's parents. I hope they tell Mary and Phil how they were disappointed in Jim lying to his girlfriend and breaking her heart but they were OK about him being gay, even if they might have been sad about him not being able to tell them before now. I'm still waiting for someone to realize that Phil has been laid off due to his reactions in May; Neil obviously didn't catch on to the fact that Tony visited during a time when Phil would normally have been at work. On the other hand, Tony was expecting to see Phil, so perhaps what I'm saying is wrong? In any case I can see Jim's parents asking Phil about his job, so it may all come out there. I also think taking Ty and Karen is a great idea, perhaps Ty can tell Neil and his parents and Karen what it's like to have a real nasty bastard as a father. I think Ty needs to talk about it, but on the other hand we don't want him to get too upset the day before the grand final.
I laughed about Clarissa having to admit she was still working on finding common grounds with Deon, but I guess the question is academic if they stop dating when Deon gets drafted. I can't help hoping Jarrod and Mary give it another try. They are both so young that they can work on finding mutual interests. Now if they come from very different backgrounds, it might be harder. Mary would fit in well with the other girlfriends, I think her and Stacey might find common ground, and Karen would help too.
Great stuff about the Lilydale community rallying behind the Club and I simply love Matt and Gary. They are the kind of sponsors all clubs must dream about having. I hope the Leopards can give them the reward everyone deserves, even if I did feel a twinge of worry when Matt said they'd won the most important battle, even if they lost the final. :o None of that please !
Great chapter and I'll even take another one building the anticipation before the main event.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/15/2015 03:22 PM, Timothy M. said:

I liked all the preparations, including the plans to have Jim's parents stay with Neil's parents. I hope they tell Mary and Phil how they were disappointed in Jim lying to his girlfriend and breaking her heart but they were OK about him being gay, even if they might have been sad about him not being able to tell them before now. I'm still waiting for someone to realize that Phil has been laid off due to his reactions in May; Neil obviously didn't catch on to the fact that Tony visited during a time when Phil would normally have been at work. On the other hand, Tony was expecting to see Phil, so perhaps what I'm saying is wrong? In any case I can see Jim's parents asking Phil about his job, so it may all come out there. I also think taking Ty and Karen is a great idea, perhaps Ty can tell Neil and his parents and Karen what it's like to have a real nasty bastard as a father. I think Ty needs to talk about it, but on the other hand we don't want him to get too upset the day before the grand final.

I laughed about Clarissa having to admit she was still working on finding common grounds with Deon, but I guess the question is academic if they stop dating when Deon gets drafted. I can't help hoping Jarrod and Mary give it another try. They are both so young that they can work on finding mutual interests. Now if they come from very different backgrounds, it might be harder. Mary would fit in well with the other girlfriends, I think her and Stacey might find common ground, and Karen would help too.

Great stuff about the Lilydale community rallying behind the Club and I simply love Matt and Gary. They are the kind of sponsors all clubs must dream about having. I hope the Leopards can give them the reward everyone deserves, even if I did feel a twinge of worry when Matt said they'd won the most important battle, even if they lost the final. :o None of that please !

Great chapter and I'll even take another one building the anticipation before the main event.

Wow...what am I supposed to say to that? :D

 

Phil asked Clarissa, Doug, and Liam to keep it quiet that he's lost his job. They apparently haven't told anyone, especially, Neil, but it's possible that some of the Leopards have worked it out. The fact that Phil was home when Tony went to visit isn't necessarily indicating anything -- he could have been taking a day off. Australia has pretty generous annual leave: the standard is four weeks per year for a full-time employee, and that's in addition to sick/carer's leave. Certain industries also have rostered days off, though that's usually applicable to larger companies/industries such as construction.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Another great gift for us, Graeme!
As Tim said, I could do with another chapter of preparation as well--it's just so fascinating to see the behind-the-scenes lives of these people. The plan to bring in Jim's parents as a surprise is just great--he's going to love it. I hope Mrs. Rosewood doesn't spoil their visit, and I hope they can get through to her, but I don't see it being very likely...and I don't think she's actually made any progress at all, and that's just her husband's wishful thinking--he doesn't seem to be trying to push her into a better mental place by talking about it. In fact, he's the one person I feel the most sorry for--he's caught in the middle between his son and his wife: if it were just him, I think Neil could go home and be happy, but his mothers is the big negative weight which is pulling everything down. After all these months, she still can't look at her son if he mentions being gay, or talk about it at all--she has made, and is not willing to make any progress at all--avoidance is not dealing with it, it only makes it fester more inside her. Neil is not safe at home with her...and he can never go home unless she changes and welcomes him as a gay son with a boyfriend. So, his father, for one rash act which he is truly remorseful about, gets that held over his head, while his wife who was equally culpable but in a different way, gets to seem the reasonable one despite her unchanged attitude and state of denial--that is just not fair. Perhaps Mr. Rosewood should try some shock therapy on his wife--tell her that if she won't get therapy or make an effort to change, he will consider leaving her so he can be with his son?
Sorry to go on so long. :) The latest game I've dvr'd is St. Kilda v. Freemantle at Docklands--St. Kilda is one team I remember seeing on my old cable service nearly 30 years ago--got to watch it tomorrow...now if I can locate some German soccer!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Phil and Mary, Phil and Jessica, the Brat, Karen, and Neil should make for an interesting discussion. It is in meetings like this, people find common ground and change their minds about things. It's a process of norming that is so ingrained we don't even notice it. Great job portraying this idea as well as building up the tension. I can't wait and yet I want so much more. That's the mark of good writing. Thanks Graeme!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Why is Liam still friends with (and doing favors for) people who continue to disparage Neil? You'd think he'd have ditched them by now. :no:

 

That said, this was another excellent chapter! I love that the whole town is supporting the Leopards, and Matt and Gary are too awesome for words. I am awaiting next weekend with as much eagerness and anxiety as the team and their fans. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/15/2015 09:20 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Another great gift for us, Graeme!

As Tim said, I could do with another chapter of preparation as well--it's just so fascinating to see the behind-the-scenes lives of these people. The plan to bring in Jim's parents as a surprise is just great--he's going to love it. I hope Mrs. Rosewood doesn't spoil their visit, and I hope they can get through to her, but I don't see it being very likely...and I don't think she's actually made any progress at all, and that's just her husband's wishful thinking--he doesn't seem to be trying to push her into a better mental place by talking about it. In fact, he's the one person I feel the most sorry for--he's caught in the middle between his son and his wife: if it were just him, I think Neil could go home and be happy, but his mothers is the big negative weight which is pulling everything down. After all these months, she still can't look at her son if he mentions being gay, or talk about it at all--she has made, and is not willing to make any progress at all--avoidance is not dealing with it, it only makes it fester more inside her. Neil is not safe at home with her...and he can never go home unless she changes and welcomes him as a gay son with a boyfriend. So, his father, for one rash act which he is truly remorseful about, gets that held over his head, while his wife who was equally culpable but in a different way, gets to seem the reasonable one despite her unchanged attitude and state of denial--that is just not fair. Perhaps Mr. Rosewood should try some shock therapy on his wife--tell her that if she won't get therapy or make an effort to change, he will consider leaving her so he can be with his son?

Sorry to go on so long. :) The latest game I've dvr'd is St. Kilda v. Freemantle at Docklands--St. Kilda is one team I remember seeing on my old cable service nearly 30 years ago--got to watch it tomorrow...now if I can locate some German soccer!

Thank you! Unfortunately, avoiding problems and issues rather than trying to resolve them is a very human trait. If a person can pretend that there's not a problem or that it will resolve itself, they often do nothing about it themselves. :(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/16/2015 12:18 AM, Cole Matthews said:

Phil and Mary, Phil and Jessica, the Brat, Karen, and Neil should make for an interesting discussion. It is in meetings like this, people find common ground and change their minds about things. It's a process of norming that is so ingrained we don't even notice it. Great job portraying this idea as well as building up the tension. I can't wait and yet I want so much more. That's the mark of good writing. Thanks Graeme!

Thank you! Yes, there's the potential for a lot of good to come out of that discussion...if, as ColumbusGuy has pointed out, Mary doesn't try to avoid the issue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/16/2015 05:00 AM, impunity said:

Why is Liam still friends with (and doing favors for) people who continue to disparage Neil? You'd think he'd have ditched them by now. :no:

 

That said, this was another excellent chapter! I love that the whole town is supporting the Leopards, and Matt and Gary are too awesome for words. I am awaiting next weekend with as much eagerness and anxiety as the team and their fans. :)

Thank you! An interesting question about Liam is still friends with the other guys at school. My response would be that for him to ditch them because they don't appreciate Neil is the flip-side of them ditching Liam because of his boyfriend. If it's wrong for them to ditch Liam because of who he dates, it'll be wrong for Liam to ditch them before of their opinion of who he dates.

 

No friend is perfect. They all have flaws and annoying behaviour. Liam seems to find enough enjoyment with his friends that he's willing to overlook their disparaging of Neil. If the bad ever outweighed the good, he'd move on...but he's planning on moving on at the end of the year, anyway. Maybe he's sticking with them because he's got a long history of friendship with them and he realises he only has a few more months to enjoy their company?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I like Neil's attitude toward his mother. Seems to me if she is going to come around, it's no use tiptoeing around the fact that her son is gay. No matter how many times you don't say it, Neil is still going to be gay. So, having Jim's parents stay with Mary and Phil. Could be really eye opening for Mary, or it could be an awkward weekend...
Love the build up to the finals. Leopards have the best fans. A win would be the best way to repay them for their loyalty....I think ;-)
Great chapter as always...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/16/2015 06:25 AM, Defiance19 said:

I like Neil's attitude toward his mother. Seems to me if she is going to come around, it's no use tiptoeing around the fact that her son is gay. No matter how many times you don't say it, Neil is still going to be gay. So, having Jim's parents stay with Mary and Phil. Could be really eye opening for Mary, or it could be an awkward weekend...

Love the build up to the finals. Leopards have the best fans. A win would be the best way to repay them for their loyalty....I think ;-)

Great chapter as always...

Thank you! Neil might be being a little too aggressive in pushing his mother, but I agree that he's certainly justified in not letting her hide from the truth.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..