Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 1,326 Words
  • 2,432 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Wink - 1. Chapter 1

Nothing special. Just to set background

‘. . . I must thank you for your kind and elegant introduction. (sigh) If only even part of it were true (general laughter). As President of the Baptist Council of Victoria I ‘m asked to deliver many messages, some good, some not so good. However, on this occasion . . .’

Against the quietness, the assembled guests could hear the clinking of waiters subtly serving dessert course dishes. Especially for speeches they dimmed the lights of the restaurant, leaving a soft glow around the room. A spotlight focused on the rostrum and over eighty guests sat quietly in deference to the speaker.

‘. . . I have the pleasure of talking about your Pastor, Peeter Anderson. Whilst we’re here to honor his tenth anniversary to this parish, Peeter is very accomplished in other areas of activity. I speak to his activities in looking after the sick and disadvantaged in your community. I, myself, was once a Pastor like Peeter, so I know what it means to look after the poor and incapacitated parishioners. Particularly the latter. Too often, much too often, we turn our backs on persons with disabilities because their needs are heavy and difficult to administer. Then along comes a man like Peeter who puts the needs of his flock before his own. (pause as he studied his notes) But of course you know this . . .’

A quiet murmur of agreement greeted this statement. Several quests turned to each other and nodded their approval. On the family table the Pastor's wife Gloria turned towards her husband and kissed him on the cheek. The siblings, Jason and Rhonda watched impassively. In fact, they both seemed a little indifferent. The speaker continued.

‘. . . so, I won’t dwell any further. Let me get to the main reason we’re here tonight – Peeter’s tenth anniversary in this Parish. (pause as he scanned his notes) Let me divulge some history. Before his arrival, this Parish was in dire straits. Attendances were down, the finances in poor shape, there wasn’t any youth program, no Sunday school in place and certainly no Bible study group. The selection panel, including myself, realized it would take an exceptional man to meet the challenges. Now we all agree we made an excellent choice in appointing Peeter Anderson (general applause) . . . (waiting till the applause dies down) .Of course no man is alone, and I would be remiss in not acknowledging the support Gloria Anderson gives to her husband (general applause and loud calls of “HEAR, HEAR”) . . . (Gloria smilingly accepted the applause). Your contributions, Gloria, are too extensive to mention individually but just let me say, on behalf of the Council, a hearty thank you. Truly heaven will welcome your arrival. You have a wonderful family in your son Jason and daughter Rhonda and, (turning to the Pastor) you both should be congratulated on how you’ve raised you children . . .’

On the head table Jason Anderson shifted uncomfortably – this was getting too much.

Bullshit! Bullshit! Bullshit!! Oh yeah, we’re so wonderful, aren’t we? Everyone sees what they want to see, not the way we really are. No one knows who or what we are . . . except ourselves. One day I’m gonna shatter their illusions, destroy their expectations, and let truth shine forth. One day . . ..

‘ . . . . (the Bishop turned towards the family table) there we have your eldest, your son Jason and his beautiful wife Kathy who I’m told is expecting the Anderson’s first grandchild. Congratulations to you both. What a credit you both are. Jason, as you all know, has been active in church matters and stepped in to help his father on occasion. He also graduated top of the class from High School before going on and becoming a qualified mechanic. Well done Jason, you’ve set a fine example to all our young folks. And there’s the beautiful Rhonda about to graduate from High school this year. I’m told she wants to be a nurse, an occupation of care obviously the result of her upbringing and guidance . . .’

The speaker, Bishop Paul Jacobson, droned on and on, painting a glossy picture of a deeply religious god-fearing family well infused with community spirit. Jason turned to glance at his sister who returned the gesture with an uncomfortable smile.

Oh, my wonderful little sister don’t think I don’t know all about your secret trysts and sexual acrobatics. With your sweet smile and vicious tongue, I know the kids at school regard you as a sanctimonious bitch; particularly when you rant about feminism and equal opportunities. Our parents overlook your brutal outbursts and even encourage you to get more involved. In street terms you’re a ball-breaker. You treat young guys like vermin. Yes, you do. All you want from them is sex; there is no gentleness in you, no application of Christian teachings . . .. you give me the shits!

‘ . . . . so, in conclusion please be upstanding and raise your glasses to toast Pastor Peeter and his wonderful family . . . to Peeter and family!’

The audience responded by standing up and proclaiming, ‘TO PEETER AND HIS FAMILY’ and then sat back down. The speaker returned to the head table, the lights became brighter and the waiters speedily served the remaining dessert dishes. Pastor Peeter turned to the Bishop,

‘Thank you, Paul, (self-conscious) I’m not sure I deserve all those compliments. You’re right of course, I was never alone because Gloria, Jason and Rhonda helped me along the way. (Introspective) I must admit however that I left my daughters upbringing in the hands of my wife. The modern female is foreign to me; I don’t understand what all the fuss is about. You’ve got a daughter; is she active in women’s rights?’

‘No Peeter, no not at all. In fact, she seems to be antagonistic towards rabid feminism. She often talks to us about what’s happening. She believes that some obvious changes were necessary about female rights, but they largely have been addressed by now.’

‘I haven’t followed the issue Paul, but I remember reading somewhere that women were incensed about being a chattel of their husbands. If that’s so, then as a Christian I believe we must redress the problem. Wasn’t there an issue about the title of ‘Mrs’ denoting a married woman but no such label applied to married men?’

‘Yes, and that’s when women adopted ‘Ms’ to fall in line with men. Not all women use this salutation, many ladies still call themselves ‘Mrs.’ Beyond that I don’t know about any other issue the women have.’

(Gloria Anderson) Ssshh . . . Both of you . . . Best if you drop this subject. If Rhonda hears, you‘ll be lectured on the evils of mankind regarding women generally. I don’t want this evening . . .’

‘Mother, I’ve heard everything that’s been said. Thank you, Daddy, for recognizing it’s a Christian’s duty to assist in helping our cause. For your information Bishop, out greatest challenge is to have society recognize that a rape can happen even in marriage. The sex act can be abusive . . .’

‘Be quiet Rhonda. Let’s not get into that. This is a celebration; a recognition of your father's efforts over the last ten years and I will not have it turned into a political slugging match. I know how difficult you can be . . .’

‘Mother, I didn’t start the issue. I’m simply reacting to something the Bishop said and felt the need to respond, so please don’t . . .’

‘Enough, young lady! I say enough! Why don’t you go and talk to some of your friends? You can have your say when we get home.’

At that point the band began to play, thus preventing off any further escalation of the subject.

Apologies to all feminists
Copyright © 2020 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Yes indeed!  I would say the family dynamics are not all sunshine and roses!!  While Ronda seems very outspoken - Jason is pretty quite!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..