Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 3,094 Words
  • 4,980 Views
  • 154 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Endings - 10. Chapter 10 Good Ol' Dad

... the one we grew up with....

                                                                                                                                                                                       ***

 

Good Ol' Dad

 

 

Chase had seen it coming on the bike road home—an exhausted Charles Leeman was running out of steam, and crashed in his room as soon as they got back to the condo. Tired as well, from the earlier than usual morning, Chase took the opportunity to stretch out on the couch.

It had been a great reunion, and somewhere Christine had to be smiling, and maybe even sighing with relief. For the first time in years, and long overdue, he glimpsed the tattered remnants of their family coming back together. The pain of the past had eased. If only the toll taken hadn’t included his relationship with Hank… his mother wouldn’t have liked that either. Damn… he’d told Dawson in his text that he’d call him when he got back.

 

“How’s it going?”

“Hey, buddy. All good here. Enjoy the bike ride?”

“Absolutely… we ended up at our old house.”

“Take a trip down memory lane, did you?”

“That’s exactly what we did. It was emotional, but in a good way.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. A really good way. My dad, he’s sleeping now—I think the long flight home finally caught up with him—he’s a lot different from the way he was when he left.”

“Meaning what exactly?”

“It means I’m pretty sure Cindy and I have our old dad back—the one we grew up with.”

“That’s awesome!”

“It is, yeah. His pilgrimage did him good. We had a great talk, all three of us… a couple of them actually, and it feels like we’re finally done grieving, like the worst part is over.”

“You guys just needed time.”

He sighed, a contented one. “We all want to move forward and do Mom’s memory justice, and seeing the old place helped. So how was your night? Was the pizza guy your Prince Charming?”

Dawson chuckled. “No, not this time. I did go out, though.”

“Oh, you did? Where?”

“Do you know Carter, from work?”

“I don’t think so. Who is he?”

“He’s one of the IT guys. Tall dude… killer smile.”

“Blond buzzcut?”

“Yeah, that’s him… he’s going to grow it out. Anyway, he called me and asked if I wanted to go for coffee or drinks, so I said yes.”

“He had your number?”

“He did. I gave it to him a few days ago.”

“And you didn’t tell me?”

“Dude, a guy needs his secrets.”

“Apparently. Ah… so you went for coffee? Drinks?”

“Both actually.”

Chase frowned as his stomach dropped a little. “Well… hey, good for you, yeah, that’s great.” Had that sounded as awkward as it felt?

“It wasn’t a hookup or anything… just a couple of drinks at “Woody’s” followed by a coffee later. Some good conversation too.”

“Whatever.” Chase was finally able to smile. “He is hella cute.”

“He said the same about you.”

“He did?”

“Uh huh. I wasn’t sure about going on a date, but it turns out he’s a sweetheart, and we have a lot in common.”

“Date, huh?”

“I guess that’s what you’d call it… casual, though.”

“Cool. So did sparks fly?”

“Um… I don’t know about that. There weren’t fireworks or anything, but I like him. He’s easygoing, and he’s interesting.”

“With a killer smile,” Chase added, trying his best to sound enthusiastic. “Sounds promising. So what do you have in common?”

“Well, he’s had his heart broken too, and he knows firsthand about unrequited love, so he understood my… caution. And, he likes golf.”

“You like golf? I Hmmm, more secrets, eh?”

Dawson laughed. “Yup. My dad used to take me and Brent to his club on the weekends when we were teenagers. I haven’t golfed since we went our separate ways, though.” His voice dipped on the last sentence, and Chase heard the wistfulness.

“Ah, I see. Bad memories?”

“Yes… no. Good ones for the most part, but it’s complicated.”

“I get it.”

“I know you do. So anyway, Carter and I are going golfing at some course north of here called “Pheasant Run” next Saturday. He says it’s a nice, easy par three, so I shouldn’t embarrass myself too badly.”

Chase swallowed before he spoke. “That definitely sounds promising.”

“I don’t know… we’ll see. You got plans for supper?”

“Oh, ah… my dad. I’ll have to see what he wants to do.”

“Okay, well, give me a call if you feel like getting together.”

“Will do. I think I might have a nap first.”

“That sounds like a great idea. I’m dragging my ass—been a long time since I had a late night. Talk to you later?”

“For sure. See ya.”

Chase ended the call and slumped back on the sofa. Had he just lost his friend to some new relationship? Closing his eyes, he took a few deep breaths. How had he sounded to Dawson? Why was he freaking out? Was he jealous?

To be honest, he was confused, because it almost felt like he was. At any rate, something was bothering him. He loved Hank still, no doubt about it, but Dawson had become important to him in so many ways. Was he just being selfish?

Twisting and turning to face the back of the couch, he squirmed until he got comfortable. He wished Rex was there to curl up with him—he could use the comfort his dog gave him. Sometimes he could smell Hank’s cologne on his thick coat, and a pathetic as it was, he could have used that scent now too.

It had been a great day so far, so why was he slipping backwards? Once again he thought about his and Hank’s ‘movie nights.’ Sighing, he buried his face in the cushions. He should be happy that his friend—his best friend—was ready to move forward, especially after fate had dealt him such a crappy hand. Why the fuck couldn’t he do the same?

 

“Chase? You awake?”

“Dad?” he rose up quickly. “What’s wrong?”

“I was about to ask you the same thing. You sounded upset.”

“I did? I don’t know what—”

“I thought you were talking to someone out here, but then I heard you yell out.”

Chase rubbed his eyes, blinking at the afternoon sun facing him. “Sorry about that—did I wake you?”

“No, I was already awake.”

“What did I yell out?”

“I couldn’t make out everything, but I did hear ‘Hank, please!’ I wasn’t sure if you were talking on the phone, but I thought I better check.”

“Oh. It must have been a dream… I don’t remember.” He sat up completely, putting his feet on the floor.

“I get that now. What’s going on, son?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, how are you really? This morning when we were all together, you looked happy, and now….” His dad trailed off, and Chase frowned, reminded of his talk with Dawson.

“I’m still happy, don’t worry. I talked to Dawson a while ago, after you went to bed.”

“And?”

Chase rubbed the last remnants of sleep from his eyes, stalling for time. “Oh… well… he’s started dating again.”

“O… kay… is that a bad thing?”

“No. No, not at all. He’s been stuck for a long time, so I’m happy for him… at least I think I am.”

“I see. You want to tell me about him?”

“Now?”

“If you want?”

“Don’t you want to get something to eat?”

“Is that your way of putting me off?” His father smiled from his perch on the coffee table.

Chase looked down, and then back up into his dad’s concerned visage. “He’s my best friend… the only one I’ve had since….”

“Since breaking up with Hank?”

Chase nodded. “I mean, Stacy and Don still care about me, and Trey too, but it’s been weird for everyone, so Dawson’s the only one I hang out with now. It’s easier that way. Anyway, I met him at work—he was one of the new interns at the time, and he asked me out, but I said no. He’d heard about Hank, and had a pretty sad story of his own, so long story short, we clicked… and became friends.”

“And nothing more?”

“No, Dad, I already told you that at Cindy’s. I mean, he’s attractive, well, really handsome actually, and I think he was sort of interested in me for a bit, and I even kissed him once, ah, twice, but….”

“Oh?”

“Yeah… I was upset after a conversation with Hank, and I thought—”

“You were ready to make it something more?”

“Something like that, I guess, but it felt like I was cheating on Hank.”

“Of course it did, because you still love him.”

“With all my heart, Dad. It’s stupid. It’s been ages now, and he’s moved on, but I love him just as much as I ever did.”

“Chase, there would be something wrong if you didn’t. You two had something quite special. Christine and I believed you were the real deal, just like we were.”

“I know. Mom told me that a few times, and I thought so too. I just wish Hank felt the same.”

“Maybe he does.”

“No.”

“You sound so sure.”

“I am.”

“Well, all I can tell you is people can be complicated, especially when they’ve been hurt the way he’s been, and I’m not just talking about what happened between you two.”

“Oh… his mom and dad? Right, I’m pretty sure that’s a big part of this.” Chase nodded slowly before continuing. “I’ve tried, Dad, but he’s not interested in anything I have to say. He can’t forgive me, or he doesn’t want to, just like he refuses to with his mom. That never made any sense to me either.”

“That may be, but you weren’t there during that time, and it makes sense to Hank, whether it’s the right thing or not.”

Chase nodded. He had never understood Hank’s holding onto his anger after all these years, but any time he’d suggested responding to her messages, he’d met with a stone wall.

“So you’re throwing in the towel?”

“What else can I do?”

“Are you asking for my advice?”

“Maybe.” He attempted a grin while he searched his father’s face, but couldn’t really pull it off.

“Keep trying. When something is worth it, you keep trying. He’s worth it, isn’t he?”

“I thought so, but… I don’t know anymore. He’s… it’s my fault, but he’s not the same Hank.”

“Well, if you think about it, you weren’t the same for a while either, Chase,” his father said gently. “Hank didn’t give up on you, did he?”

His father’s words caught him by surprise and hit him hard. He swallowed, trying to wet his suddenly dry throat. “No, he never did, but now he sees me differently.” He looked away from those concerned eyes, feeling like a little kid again.

“Am I upsetting you, son?”

“No, Dad, no,” he insisted, meeting his gaze again. “It’s just… it’s been frustrating, and I’m tired of… of going in circles.”

“I get it. We’ll leave it alone then, okay?”

“Sure… but, Dad, why am I feeling weird about Dawson having someone?”

“Pit of your stomach, bad?”

“A little bit, yeah.”

“Well, I can only speculate, but my guess would be you’re worried you’ll lose his friendship to a relationship—it does happen—or it could be you’ve been seeing him as a back-up plan.”

Chase met his father’s direct gaze as he thought about the last part. “That would be pretty damn selfish, wouldn’t it?”

His father scoffed. “I don’t see it that way at all. He was there for you when you lost your circle of friends, and now you have this very important connection. Emotions are complicated too, and you just have to be careful you don’t use him as a rebound.”

“I would never want to do that. He’s been through a lot in the past year.” He sighed, feeling miserable.

“Of course you wouldn’t, and you haven’t. Look, don’t get down on yourself, but it’s easy to make mistakes when you’re vulnerable… that’s all I’m saying. As long as you remember that, you’ll get past this, trust me.”

“You think?”

“Absolutely… unless your feelings run deeper than you’re willing to admit?”

Chase frowned again. Did they? He thought about that kiss. As nice as it was, it’d felt wrong. How would it feel now? Sighing, he stood up. “I have to pee.”

When he returned, his father was in the kitchen, looking in the fridge. “We need to do some shopping.”

Chase, standing in the doorway, agreed. “I’ve been eating out, or going over to Dawson’s for barbecue—he lives right across the road.”

His father closed the door and turned to face him. “Interesting… and convenient. Why don’t we go out for supper, my treat? You can invite Dawson if you’d like.”

“What about Cindy?”

“Of course, her too.”

 

Cindy couldn’t make it—she had plans with Marshall—but Dawson gave an enthusiastic ‘yes,’ and they ended up walking to a nearby “Boston Pizza.” Chase noticed a difference in his friend right away as he watched him interact with his father. He was animated and talkative, not so unusual, but still, his confidence seemed to have grown in the relaxed way he moved. It might have been his imagination, but Dawson looked happier than he’d ever seen him. That was a good thing, right?

“So, Chase tells me you had a date last night,” Charles said as soon as they were seated in the noisy dining room.

Chase groaned, and then rolled his eyes at his friend. “Dad!”

“What? I’m just making conversation.”

Dawson frowned at Chase, causing him to shrug. “You’re being nosy, Dad.”

“It’s fine,” Dawson said, turning his attention back to Charles. “I don’t mind at all… and before you ask, it went well for a first date.”

“So there’ll be a next one then?”

“Yes, sir. We’ll see how it goes. We’re going to play golf. I just hope I don’t embarrass myself, because it’s been a while.”

Was that a blush Chase was seeing creeping up Dawson’s neck? The man needed a boost. “I’m sure he’s not going to care whether you’re a decent golfer or not. He’s a good guy from what I can tell. And it’s about time one of us got back in the saddle, right?”

Dawson turned his gaze to Chase, his expression thankful. “I’m going to give it a chance, but it scares me a little… be prepared to talk me off some bridges.”

“Anytime, buddy.”

Dawson slowly grinned. “Thanks. We can do each other’s hair while we talk about boys.”

That got his father laughing—more like roaring, actually—and Chase and Dawson soon joined him. They settled in to enjoying their food and good conversation after that. Halfway through the meal, Chase realized he didn’t have that sick feeling in his stomach anymore. It was good to see his friend so happy.

 

The following week went by in a blur for Chase. He’d picked up Rex on Monday after work, from a rather subdued Hank. The man’s eyes had lit up at the news Charles Leeman was back, but dimmed again after asking Chase to pass on his ‘Hello.’ There’d been no follow up questions about the man who’d been his only father figure for years, after his own had drank himself to death.

It made Chase wonder what was going on with him, but when he asked if he was okay, Hank had given a low-key, “I’m fine. Everything’s fine. Bring Rex back whenever you want.” On that note, he’d turned and disappeared back into his building.

Chase had muttered ‘Jerk’ as he put an excited Rex into his car, but immediately chastised himself. Hank had been pleasant enough, and that was all he should expect. At least he didn’t rub Kevin in his face. The times when they’d confided everything to each other were gone, as was his ex being part of Chase’s family. If it weren’t for shared custody of Rex….

 

“So, did you have a good time?”

Dawson had just opened his door on Sunday morning, and he was squinting at the morning sun.

Yawning, he waved Chase in. “What time is it?”

“Eight-thirty.”

“Oh, it’s going to be a hot one. I need a shower.”

“Never mind that now. Why are you all rumpled?”

“Fell asleep on the couch.” Dawson rubbed his face, still looking groggy.

“With Carter?” he asked while peering into the living room.

When he turned back, Dawson was shaking his head. “Nah, he left at around three, I think.”

“Oh, I see,” he said with raised eyebrows. “Did you guys—”

“No! I told you we were taking it slow.”

Chase grinned. “Well, there are a couple of ways of taking it slow.”

Dawson snorted. “Don’t I know it, and I was tempted, but… the conversation was just as good.”

“Just as good?”

“Okay, almost as good. He’s a really sweet guy… and a great kisser.” His wink was amusing.

“Do tell… how great?”

“No more questions… I need to wake up. You make coffee and I’ll grab a shower.”

“What about food? Are we still going for a bike ride?”

“That’s two questions… and that’s all you get for now. Power bar and coffee, and I’ll be ready to go… can you fill my water bottle?” he asked before disappearing from view.

“Hey, want me to do your hair when you’re done?”

Dawson reappeared in the kitchen doorway with a broad smile. “Fuck off. I’ll talk when I’m ready.”

“Fine… so are you going to tell me how dreamy he is?”

“I repeat—fuck off.”

Chase chuckled as he proceeded to make coffee. Once again, he was proud of himself for being genuinely pleased for his friend. Maybe in a month or two, he’d be ready to think about being happy with somebody other than Hank.

 

*

Thanks to Timothy M., Robin to my Batman, and to all the readers who share their thoughts on this story. I truly appreciate the engagement... and the varied opinions. :) You guys are awesome! Cheers... Gary....  
Copyright © 2019 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 38
  • Love 36
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Omg I don't think Hank did anything with Kevin. Or maybe Kevin didn't want to do anything with him! Maybe Kevin tried talking him into giving chase another chance. Now this is no endorsement of Kevin, but maybe he's not the bad guy we thought. I just hope Hank is getting help, maybe Charles could have a talk with him. Speaking of, I have to say Mr. Charles is my favorite character in this story. And he's right chase shouldn't give up. I think Dad was right and Chase was more worried about losing his friendship with Dawson to a relationship. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

Omg I don't think Hank did anything with Kevin. Or maybe Kevin didn't want to do anything with him! Maybe Kevin tried talking him into giving chase another chance. Now this is no endorsement of Kevin, but maybe he's not the bad guy we thought. I just hope Hank is getting help, maybe Charles could have a talk with him. Speaking of, I have to say Mr. Charles is my favorite character in this story. And he's right chase shouldn't give up. I think Dad was right and Chase was more worried about losing his friendship with Dawson to a relationship. 

Hey, Wes! Back to first in two weeks in a row. :D  As far as Hank and Kevin :X  , but I'm really pleased you like Charles Leeman. I think he shows here how important he will be to Chase. I believe this breakup is especially hard for him because he likely considers Hank as another son. And, like his son does, he knows Christine would be disappointed with them ending their relationship. But, the main thing is, he gave Chase some support and answers he needed. Depression makes us spend too much time in out heads, and Charles is another sounding board for him... possibly his most effective one. :)  As far as Dawson, I think it's understandable for Chase to be confused about any feelings he has... that's how rebound relationships usually happen. I wonder how Dawson truly feels, though. Is Carter the real deal, or is he a rebound for him... and what about the interest he did have in Chase? Is it entirely gone? Just asking....

Cheers, buddy, and thanks... G :hug: 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Hey, Wes! Back to first in two weeks in a row. :D  As far as Hank and Kevin :X  , but I'm really pleased you like Charles Leeman. I think he shows here how important he will be to Chase. I believe this breakup is especially hard for him because he likely considers Hank as another son. And, like his son does, he knows Christine would be disappointed with them ending their relationship. But, the main thing is, he gave Chase some support and answers he needed. Depression makes us spend too much time in out heads, and Charles is another sounding board for him... possibly his most effective one. :)  As far as Dawson, I think it's understandable for Chase to be confused about any feelings he has... that's how rebound relationships usually happen. I wonder how Dawson truly feels, though. Is Carter the real deal, or is he a rebound for him... and what about the interest he did have in Chase? Is it entirely gone? Just asking....

Cheers, buddy, and thanks... G :hug: 

My only question is are we ever going to find out what happened at the cabin?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Wesley8890 said:

Omg I don't think Hank did anything with Kevin. Or maybe Kevin didn't want to do anything with him! Maybe Kevin tried talking him into giving chase another chance. Now this is no endorsement of Kevin, but maybe he's not the bad guy we thought. I just hope Hank is getting help, maybe Charles could have a talk with him. Speaking of, I have to say Mr. Charles is my favorite character in this story. And he's right chase shouldn't give up. I think Dad was right and Chase was more worried about losing his friendship with Dawson to a relationship. 

Charles, that's what i was thinking.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Awww.

This chapter of movement put me in the mind of growing pains, not for Charles Leeman (whom I LOVE-father of the year material, right there), although he did show growth. The pains were for Chase and Dawson.  
It is good for Dawson to move on and while he and Chase have a great friendship, Dawson was interested in more than that at first.  He told Chase about his date as a genuine development, not a way to make him jealous (I’m talking about you Hank) but jealous is what Chase was, of what is what Chase is still trying to figure out.

The way this story is unfolding, there is still a chance (however slim looking right now) for a reconciliation between Chase and Hank, while there still being Dawson and Chase vibes too.  
Hank is realizing the difficult road he chose in his handling of things in the break up....he doesn’t have to give up Charles and Charles still obviously cares for him but Hank’s black and white, all or nothing stance had him shut the door on all the Leemans, it seems.

 I was ambivalent about Hank’s subdued mood in this chapter-part of me is “I’m glad you’re miserable”, the other part is wondering if all his issues are about to come to a messy head.
 

“I thought so, but… I don’t know anymore. He’s… it’s my fault, but he’s not the same Hank.” 

“Well, if you think about it, you weren’t the same for a while either, Chase,” his father said gently. “Hank didn’t give up on you, did he?” -My favorite passage in this chapter.

Chase, Hank and Dawson are all good men, dealing with the pain of endings (and beginnings) in different ways.  there are many roads open that can lead to this story’s end, all viable and that, Master Gary, is the mark of a good storyteller.  *genuflecting to your greatness*.
Is it next Monday, yet?

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

My only question is are we ever going to find out what happened at the cabin?

You know it’ll come up eventually. Hank may not report on the events directly, and not to Chase, but what did or didn’t happen will be revealed. I personally imagine a bitter Cave-In throwing stones at Chase for ruining Hank. It’d be fun if he did so while confronting Chase but Chase hearing about it secondhand from Stacy or someone would satisfy me just as well. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Danners said:

You know it’ll come up eventually. Hank may not report on the events directly, and not to Chase, but what did or didn’t happen will be revealed. I personally imagine a bitter Cave-In throwing stones at Chase for ruining Hank. It’d be fun if he did so while confronting Chase but Chase hearing about it secondhand from Stacy or someone would satisfy me just as well. 

Part of me wants to bash Kevin and part of me wants to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Another part of me is thinking they did the nasty and after seeing chase Hank felt guilty like he had cheated.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
37 minutes ago, Danners said:

Yeah, their last confrontation definitely had a lasting effect on Hank. It seems like he came to a couple uncomfortable realizations since then, and he ran out of anger. The sadness left behind looks like it’s taking its toll. He’s lost and alone, more so now that he doesn’t have a distraction in Cave-In. (S’my nickname for Kevin, since he’s a mess and his presence only served to trap and isolate Hank. That, and when you remove the obstruction, all he is is a gaping hole. Heh.)

Charles is as insightful as he is supportive. I didn’t notice that Chase could’ve considered Dawson his backup plan, but Charles pointing it out connected all the dots. I’m glad he’s back and is both able and willing to offer Chase advice. His comes from a different place than Dawson’s or even Cindy’s, and it’ll do a lot of good.

I hope Charles reaches out to Hank, since the reverse isn’t likely after how Hank behaved before his return. Not only does Hank need a father’s advice, I think he needs the reassurance that at least one lifeline remains between him and Chase. Charles can provide both, along with the most important thing I suspect Hank is desperate for: love he doesn’t guilt himself for feeling.

Also, good for Dawson! The man deserves a guy who can return his feelings, no matter how tentative they are in their progress as a couple. It’s great that they haven’t hooked up because it proves they’re serious about respecting one another’s boundaries and, in a broader stroke, it shows Chase that good things come to those who wait.

Finally, and I’m surprised I’m admitting this, I think Chase will benefit from getting to a point where he can look for companionship outside of Hank. He still feels shackled to Hank and discouraged that he can’t move on. When he’s in a place where he can, it gives him the choice to love Hank and the conviction that comes with knowing they’re emotional equals moving forward. Does that make sense?

Another excellent chapter, Gary. This one is like when a runner reaches a comfortable stride somewhere near the middle of his journey, where he knows he’s gone a good distance already and what lies ahead doesn’t seem so daunting anymore. (But he’s gotta watch out for pot holes like Kevin, or he’ll end up with skinned knees and nothing to show for it, also like Kevin!)

So this was a “love” and “HA!!” commment.  I gave it the love so here comes the HA!!

😆 :rofl: 

Loved the “Kevin the hoe” commments.  👍

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Wesley8890 said:

My only question is are we ever going to find out what happened at the cabin?

Possibly. :P  Seriously... :X  No... seriously, though... we will get all the info we ... need... that's if there is anything to know... ;)    :hug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Tonyr said:

Charles, that's what i was thinking.

Hey, Tony!. Charles is making a lot of sense, isn't he? But still, he does have a stake in this... we'll see if what he thinks changes in a few chapters. :unsure2:  He seemed to have gotten on really well with Dawson... Cheers, and thanks for commenting, buddy... Gary.... :hug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
37 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

Part of me wants to bash Kevin and part of me wants to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Another part of me is thinking they did the nasty and after seeing chase Hank felt guilty like he had cheated.

I had a similar impulse to give Cave-In a second chance after what Hank said about them going to the cabin to figure out “where we go from here” because Hank didn’t get a chance to finish that sentence. He could’ve said they were going to the cabin to discuss what to do about Hank and Chase’s relationship.

But I don’t buy it.

At any rate, this time Hank didn’t give the impression of guilt. He was subdued, diminished, and reminded me of someone who felt absolutely alone in the world, someone who doesn’t know where or to whom to turn. Hence his initial excitement about Charles’ return. He sort of reminded me of Chase at the beginning of the story to be honest. That leads me to believe Cave-In is no longer in the picture.

I’m thinking they didn’t go to the cabin and Hank hasn’t seen him since, having isolated himself as he did before. But, say they did and say they slept together. Nothing good came out of it or Hank wouldn’t be so miserable. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Danners said:

Yeah, their last confrontation definitely had a lasting effect on Hank. It seems like he came to a couple uncomfortable realizations since then, and he ran out of anger. The sadness left behind looks like it’s taking its toll. He’s lost and alone, more so now that he doesn’t have a distraction in Cave-In. (S’my nickname for Kevin, since he’s a mess and his presence only served to trap and isolate Hank. That, and when you remove the obstruction, all he is is a gaping hole. Heh.)

Charles is as insightful as he is supportive. I didn’t notice that Chase could’ve considered Dawson his backup plan, but Charles pointing it out connected all the dots. I’m glad he’s back and is both able and willing to offer Chase advice. His comes from a different place than Dawson’s or even Cindy’s, and it’ll do a lot of good.

I hope Charles reaches out to Hank, since the reverse isn’t likely after how Hank behaved before his return. Not only does Hank need a father’s advice, I think he needs the reassurance that at least one lifeline remains between him and Chase. Charles can provide both, along with the most important thing I suspect Hank is desperate for: love he doesn’t guilt himself for feeling.

Also, good for Dawson! The man deserves a guy who can return his feelings, no matter how tentative they are in their progress as a couple. It’s great that they haven’t hooked up because it proves they’re serious about respecting one another’s boundaries and, in a broader stroke, it shows Chase that good things come to those who wait.

Finally, and I’m surprised I’m admitting this, I think Chase will benefit from getting to a point where he can look for companionship outside of Hank. He still feels shackled to Hank and discouraged that he can’t move on. When he’s in a place where he can, it gives him the choice to love Hank and the conviction that comes with knowing they’re emotional equals moving forward. Does that make sense?

Another excellent chapter, Gary. This one is like when a runner reaches a comfortable stride somewhere near the middle of his journey, where he knows he’s gone a good distance already and what lies ahead doesn’t seem so daunting anymore. (But he’s gotta watch out for pot holes like Kevin, or he’ll end up with skinned knees and nothing to show for it, also like Kevin!)

LOL... holes seems to be a theme here. :P  Hey, Dan! Yes, we are seeing that Charles is not afraid to give advice to his son. I am one of those kind of dads too... respectful, but I will tell my kids my opinion. :)  We don't really know where Hank is, but you're right that his anger seemed to have ebbed. It's hard to tell yet what that will mean. Is it just a lull? 

Cave-in?  :lmao: 

It does make sense that Chase might have considered Dawson a back up plan... he knew there was enough interest there that Dawson asked him out... Charles is right... people are complicated, and Charles sees what others might not. At any rate, he has made Chase think...

Hooking up would have been a mistake, and while I think many would have been tempted, Chase wasn't. The guilt would have compounded, and been too much. The cautious approach gets you in a lot less trouble. 

Yes, Chase reaching a point of independence makes total sense. It does give him the freedom to choose, with no residual feelings to get in the way. As of right now, he knows he isn't there, but that is his goal. 

:rofl:   Poor Kevin... now his knees are all skinned up... thanks for the kind words, buddy. This is an important chapter... the dust is starting to settle, and Chase is beginning to feel proud of himself. That's a big deal... and sure to give him even more strength. :yes: 

Thanks for another great comment, my friend... peace and love... G :hug: 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Possibly. :P  Seriously... :X  No... seriously, though... we will get all the info we ... need... that's if there is anything to know... ;)    :hug: 

That is without a doubt the most infuriating answer I have ever seen

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, FanLit said:

Awww.

This chapter of movement put me in the mind of growing pains, not for Charles Leeman (whom I LOVE-father of the year material, right there), although he did show growth. The pains were for Chase and Dawson.  
It is good for Dawson to move on and while he and Chase have a great friendship, Dawson was interested in more than that at first.  He told Chase about his date as a genuine development, not a way to make him jealous (I’m talking about you Hank) but jealous is what Chase was, of what is what Chase is still trying to figure out.

The way this story is unfolding, there is still a chance (however slim looking right now) for a reconciliation between Chase and Hank, while there still being Dawson and Chase vibes too.  
Hank is realizing the difficult road he chose in his handling of things in the break up....he doesn’t have to give up Charles and Charles still obviously cares for him but Hank’s black and white, all or nothing stance had him shut the door on all the Leemans, it seems.

 I was ambivalent about Hank’s subdued mood in this chapter-part of me is “I’m glad you’re miserable”, the other part is wondering if all his issues are about to come to a messy head.
 

“I thought so, but… I don’t know anymore. He’s… it’s my fault, but he’s not the same Hank.” 

“Well, if you think about it, you weren’t the same for a while either, Chase,” his father said gently. “Hank didn’t give up on you, did he?” -My favorite passage in this chapter.

Chase, Hank and Dawson are all good men, dealing with the pain of endings (and beginnings) in different ways.  there are many roads open that can lead to this story’s end, all viable and that, Master Gary, is the mark of a good storyteller.  *genuflecting to your greatness*.
Is it next Monday, yet?

Aww... you are so sweet, and this is such an intuitive comment. First of all, I love getting to write a father like Charles. He reminds me of someone. :P  

'Growing pains' is very apt. Dawson and Chase are both taking positive steps... Dawson in opening up to love, and Chase in standing up for himself. Yeah, it can hurt, but that's life. 

I'm glad you see the difference in Dawson and Hank with regard to telling Chase about their 'dates.' But, in fairness to Hank, I will say he's wrapped up in a pain that Dawson isn't. Still, it illustrates what a good guy Dawson is. :yes:  Hank, meanwhile, as you point out so well, is left isolated from the family that was once his. He has only himself to blame... and is he blaming himself? Because that would be a big step for the man. It remains to be seen id he is capable. :unsure: 

Your favorite passage was mine as well. This is a dad doing his job, leading Chase to where he needs to be. We need to be shaken from the mental paths we take, because sometimes we end up missing the big picture. What Charles reminded his son was that Hank was a good man... one who stood by him at the worst of times... that should not be forgotten. The thing is, when we make decisions, we don't want to look back later with regret. 

Yes, and it all comes down to the fact there are many roads these men can take... and part of the sorting has begun. Cheers, my dear friend... :hug:  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Danners said:

You know it’ll come up eventually. Hank may not report on the events directly, and not to Chase, but what did or didn’t happen will be revealed. I personally imagine a bitter Cave-In throwing stones at Chase for ruining Hank. It’d be fun if he did so while confronting Chase but Chase hearing about it secondhand from Stacy or someone would satisfy me just as well. 

Hmmm. Will it? I suppose you could be right... :X  I guess a lot of stones do fall during a cave-in. :P 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Wesley8890 said:

Part of me wants to bash Kevin and part of me wants to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Another part of me is thinking they did the nasty and after seeing chase Hank felt guilty like he had cheated.

This... right here... this is what I was going for. :D :hug:  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
59 minutes ago, FanLit said:

So this was a “love” and “HA!!” commment.  I gave it the love so here comes the HA!!

😆 :rofl: 

Loved the “Kevin the hoe” commments.  👍

Dan doesn't hold back, does he? Kevin never stood a chance. :gikkle: 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Danners said:

I had a similar impulse to give Cave-In a second chance after what Hank said about them going to the cabin to figure out “where we go from here” because Hank didn’t get a chance to finish that sentence. He could’ve said they were going to the cabin to discuss what to do about Hank and Chase’s relationship.

But I don’t buy it.

At any rate, this time Hank didn’t give the impression of guilt. He was subdued, diminished, and reminded me of someone who felt absolutely alone in the world, someone who doesn’t know where or to whom to turn. Hence his initial excitement about Charles’ return. He sort of reminded me of Chase at the beginning of the story to be honest. That leads me to believe Cave-In is no longer in the picture.

I’m thinking they didn’t go to the cabin and Hank hasn’t seen him since, having isolated himself as he did before. But, say they did and say they slept together. Nothing good came out of it or Hank wouldn’t be so miserable. 

 I must say this is excellent speculation, Dan... and it would be a shame if you were wrong. :P  I have to agree that Hank is likely feeling very alone as far as being part of the family he use to have... but as for 'alone' alone... :X 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

That is without a doubt the most infuriating answer I have ever seen

:D  :D  :D  Well, that certainly wasn't my goal, Wes. :D :D  :D 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Just now, Parker Owens said:

Chase would be unusual if he didn’t feel a little ache in the gut as his friend starts dating someone new. Call it jealousy or feeling left out, he’s still going to ache. That he can try to be happy for his friend is good. That he saw Hank without an emotional explosion is even better. Their relationship appears to be at an end, but a long time may pass before anything new forms. 

That's exactly why Charles has come in so handy. He can put things in perspective for his son... a son who has been prone to twisting himself in knots. He trusts his dad, and that will go a long way towards helping the journey he finds himself on. Instead of self doubts, he can instead feel proud that he is supporting his friend, which will help build his feelings of self-worth. Thanks, Parker... I thought this chapter, while relatively quiet, was an important one. Yeah, there were no emotional explosions... cheers... Gary.... :hug:  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, Headstall said:

That's exactly why Charles has come in so handy. He can put things in perspective for his son... a son who has been prone to twisting himself in knots. He trusts his dad, and that will go a long way towards helping the journey he finds himself on. Instead of self doubts, he can instead feel proud that he is supporting his friend, which will help build his feelings of self-worth. Thanks, Parker... I thought this chapter, while relatively quiet, was an important one. Yeah, there were no emotional explosions... cheers... Gary.... :hug:  

Other than the final chapter, I can see this a being the most important chapter.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

What Danners says above has opened my eyes to what I felt vaguely without being able to put it into words. I guess a lot depends on what happened to Hank previously and how he dealt with these experiences. Some people are very good at looking out for others and caring for their needs while they should not neglect their own wounds. If all of Hank's old wounds have also been ripped open with Chase's refusal and rejection, how will he cope? Then he really needs more than one helping hand. 

In a way I cannot get Hank's last sentence out of my mind: "Bring Rex back whenever you want.” I do not know why but I get the feeling it is the first time that he left a decision, even such a minor one, to Chase. Before he always seemed to be in control somehow. Am I wrong? It could also simply be signs of a bad conscience for taking Rex away from Chase for a weekend. Or Rex reminded him too much of Chase while he was away?

Again a lot of developments which seem to thicken the plot inside their heads... hard to wait for the next chapter, but what else is new???

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I am very much enjoying Chase Dad:yes: And he has a lot of good points. And I think that Chase needs to needs to make up his mind once and for all if he is going to keep

chasing Hank or go for Dawson. He sure has feelings for Dawson:yes: So we will have watch and wait and see if love lost can lead to love to come I know which one I would 

pick!

Great Chapter :2thumbs::thankyou:

Edited by Albert1434
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..