Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Unfortunate Occurence at Shenandoah High 2020 - 11. Chapter 11

While hanging out with Andy and Nick at Finn's party, Tristan is told some important information. Also, Finn extends Tristan an invitation.

I’m reclining in the most comfortable chair ever next to Finn’s pool. Both Andy and Nick are piled into the lounge next to mine. The sky above us is completely clear and the stars are out. I used to be ale to point out all of the constellations. During the summer, my grandpa would bring his telescope out of the attic and we’d stand out on the back porch for hours looking up at the stars.

There’s a slight chill in the air but I can feel the warmth coming off the nearby fire pit. There’s a group of baseball jocks drunkenly singing along to some country song on the radio. Two girls I recognize from Speech and Debate are splashing around in the pool, fully-clothed, stopping occasionally to swap spit.

“So, are we going to address the elephant in the room?” Nick asks, turning his gaze on me. Both he and Andy have the biggest grins on their faces.

“What?” I ask.

“Your clothes,” Andy says.

“Your hair,” Nick says.

“Oh,” I say. I gesture to the outfit I’m wearing. “This is all of Keisha’s doing, not mine.”

“No, no, no,” Andy says. “We like it.”

“We’re just curious as to why,” Nick says. “You’re usually much more reserved.”

“It’s really a good look,” Andy says. “It’s very -.”

“Slutty?” I suggest.

“Well, I was going to say provocative.”

“Hey, there’s nothing wrong with slutty,” Nick says.

“I just feel so exposed.”

“Well, you look hot,” Andy says. “In fact, if Nick and I weren’t together, I’d seriously consider dragging you into the pool house.”

“Andy.” Nick playfully swats at his boyfriend.

Andy sits up and looks down at Nick. “You said exactly the same thing not even ten minutes ago when he left to go to the bathroom.”

My face feels warm despite the coolness in the air. At least Nick and Andy think I’m effable. Maybe someone else here will. Preferably someone single.

“So, Tristan,” Andy says. “Can I ask you something and you promise you won’t get mad?”

I bristle. What on earth could Andy want to ask me that he thinks could possibly upset me.

“Um, sure. Go for it.”

“Well – and this is just based off of observations so please don’t get mad at me -.”

“Andy,” I say. “I’m not going to get mad.”

“He wants to know if you and Finn are hooking up,” Nick blurts.

I quickly look around to see if anyone in earshot heard what Nick just said. The two girls in the pool are back to making out and the rowdy baseball jocks are singing louder than ever.

“No,” I say in a voice that only the three of us can hear. I run my fingers through my hair completely forgetting about all of the gel. I wipe them off on the lounge chair.

“Why would you think Finn and I are hooking up?” I ask.

“Let me handle this,” Nick says sitting up. He turns to face me. “It’s just that since he and Emily broke up, you two have been hanging out … a lot.”

“First of all,” I say, “Finn and I are just friends and what do you mean they broke up?”

“It happened like three weeks ago,” Andy says. “They had this big blow-up in the parking lot after school.”

“Yeah,” Nick chimes in. “Finn was going off about how he was tired of her telling him what to do.”

“Then Emily accused him of cheating which is absolutely insane. I don’t even think Finn’s smart enough to cheat – no offense.”

“I’m surprised you didn’t hear about it,” Nick says. “It was like all people were talking about for a couple of days.”

My head feels like someone has just filled it with water. I’m hearing everything Nick and Andy are saying but their voices sound a million miles away. I close my eyes and try to make sense of what I’ve just heard. Finn Montgomery and Emily Branson are broken up.

“Tristan.”

Nick’s voice is much louder now. I open my eyes and see that he is only inches away from my face.

“You okay, man?” he asks placing a hand on my shoulder.

I slowly nod my head.

“If this is information overload, please let us know,” Andy says.

“No – it’s fine,” I say. “I mean, yeah – Finn and I have been hanging but it’s not that. He was having some computer issues so he took me over to his house a few days ago and I helped him fix them. Then I helped him study for a Pre-Cal test. That’s it. I promise.”

“We believe you,” Andy says tentatively. “It’s just that the timing … first the fight and the breakup and then all of sudden you two are hanging out.”

“We’re just friends,” I say. “Nothing more.”

“What a shame,” Andy sighs. “You two would have made a hot couple. Hotter than Nick and I.”

“Forgive us for speculating,” Nick says rolling his eyes. “But a lot of straight dudes these days seem to be climbing over to our side of the fence.”

“Well, not Finn,” I sigh. “Unfortunately.”

“Aww, honey.” Andy leans over and places his hand on my shoulder. “I totally recognize that face. You like him don’t you?”

“Since the first day I saw him,” I say looking down at the grass.

Andy looks over at Nick and smiles. “Remember when I thought you were straight?”

“Just think,” Nick says, “We could’ve gotten together a long time ago if you hadn’t spent all of sophomore year thinking I was hetero.”

“Well we’re together now,” Andy says placing a kiss on Nick’s forehead. “And that’s all that matters.”

“Sometimes I wish there were no labels,” I say looking back up at the night sky.

“What do you mean?” Nick asks.

I bite down on my bottom lip as I take a moment to gather my thoughts which admittedly is so unlike me.

“Labels – like gay or straight or bi. Maybe if there were no labels, people who be more honest about their attractions.”

“You’re right,” Nick says. “We put way too much stock in labels. Like if you’re gay, you have to like these singers and these movies and you have to dress like this and if you don’t dress like this now other gay dudes are questioning if you’re really gay or not. Fuckin’ stereotypes – I hate them.”

“And then you get shamed if you embrace the stereotypes too much,” Andy chimes in. “So it’s lose-lose, in my opinion.”

“I imagine it’s worst if you’re bi,” Nick says. “I came out in the eighth grade and freshman year there was this girl in my English class who I thought was the most beautiful person I’ve ever seen. I was going to ask her to some dance but before I had the chance, her friends told her I was gay. She outed me in front of the entire cafeteria.”

“I vaguely remember that happening,” I say. “I’m sorry that happened to you, Nick.”

“Well, a few weeks later the whole school found out she had gonorrhea so … karma’s a bitch.”

The three of us laugh.

“So, this must be where the real party is,” a voice calls from behind us. I recognize the voice. I sit up in the lounge and see that Finn is walking towards us.

“Hey Finn,” Andy says.

I take a moment to look Finn up and down. The first thing I notice is that he’s not wearing his letterman jacket. Instead he’s this black button-down shirt with the top three buttons undone and the sleeves pushed up past his forearms. I notice the watch on his arm. It looks really expensive – probably a Rolex or something equally as outrageous. Dark denim jeans and Timberland boots cap off the rest of his outfit.

There’s no question about it. Finn Montgomery looks fuckable.

“You guys enjoying yourselves?” At that very moment he and I lock eyes.

“Yeah,” I say. My mouth is suddenly dry. I wish I’d brought a bottle of water out here with me.

“I’ve been to some pretty off-the-chain parties before,” Nick says. “But this – this is on a completely different level.”

“Well, as I told Tristan here the other day, we Montgomery boys have a tradition. When the parents are away, the Montgomery boys like to play. Since my older brothers have all moved out, I’m the last Montgomery boy standing so of course I had to do it big. This may be the last big party this place sees for a bit.”

“Do your parents ever find out?” Nick asks.

“I’m sure they know but usually the morning after the party we hire a cleaning crew to make sure the place is perfect before they return home. We also lock up all the really valuable and breakable shit just in case someone gets sloppy and bumps into something.”

“Well, I think it’s really cool that you invited us,” Andy says. “This is my first ever official high school party.”

“Well, hope I you’re not disappointed,” Finn says with a grin.

“Not in the slightest,” Andy says. He clears his throat and turns to Nick. “Hey, I’m parched all of a sudden. I think I’m going to grab me something to drink.”

“There’s a shit-ton of sodas and beer in the kitchen,” Finn says.

“Well, since my parents will literally kill me and throw my body in the Everglades if I have one sip of alcohol, I think I’ll just stick to a Coke,” Andy says.

Nick slowly stands up and stretches. “I’m pretty thirsty myself. Unlike my teetotaler boyfriend here, I will be partaking of beer. I doubt my parents would care anyway. I’m sure their too busy eating tiramisu in Rome right now.”

“Well help yourself guys,” Finn says gesturing towards his house.

I roll my eyes but can’t help but smile at my friends’ utter ridiculousness. Seriously, Andy – I thought you were a better actor than this. I watch as the two of them walk off towards the house.

“I’m glad they’re back together.” Finn claims the lounge Nick and Andy just vacated moments ago. “I was seriously beginning to think Nick was an asshole.”

“He’s not an asshole,” I say quietly. “He was just heartbroken.”

Finn sighs and leans back. “Yeah – I get that. Now.”

I look over at Finn who is looking up at the sky. Finn’s a pretty confident guy but for a moment I see the mask slip. It’s the mask every teenager in America wears as a means of survival. I see hurt written all over his face and all I want to do is wrap him in my arms.

“I heard about you and -.” I clear my throat. It feels weird that I’m about to say her actual name. “Emily.” I look over at the pool which looks so inviting despite pool season being over weeks ago.

Finn sighs again. “It was gonna happen sooner or later. I’m just glad it happened sooner.”

I look over at Finn and the mask is firmly back on. He looks over at me and grins.

“Wanna go for a walk?” he asks.

“Um, sure.”

“There’s something I meant to show you the other day but time got away from us.” Finn stands up and smooths out the wrinkles on his shirt. He then extends a hand in my direction. I accept it.

I’m on my feet and there can’t be more than a few inches between me and Finn. His eyes lock onto mine for the second time tonight and I feel insides begin to twist. He lets go of my hand and gestures at the patch of woods right behind his pool house.

“C’mon,” he says. “There’s a trail cutting through the trees just right over there. Dad keeps it pretty clear but there could be a few fallen limbs and rocks. I want you to stay close, okay?”

I smile and then nod. Yes, Finn, I’ll stay close – if you promise to do the same.

As always, thank you for reading. Please subscriber, comment, critique or just say hello!
Copyright © 2020 imperfect _pisces; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Oh my. Andy and Nick have opened Tristan's eyes to a possibility and now he and Finn are off for a private walk in the woods.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

I read chapter one, and I enjoyed it. Then I got sidetracked. I realized today that I was seriously behind, so I went on a binge. As of this evening I am caught up and having a grand time! You have created some really interesting characters. Tristan and Keisha are a hoot! I really like Finn, Nick and Andy, and the theater class! Of course I am trying to figure out what Finn is up to. I really hope he and Tristan end up a couple! And the "girl drama" between Keisha and Tristan makes me laugh! I love her "take no prisoners" atttude. I can't wait to see what happens next. Thanks. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

The old “walk in the woods but stay close because of fallen branches“ line. What a great set up!  😈

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..