Jump to content
    jkwsquirrel
  • Author
  • 3,629 Words
  • 2,847 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Commencement - 13. The Kids Aren't Alright

Brett was in the hospital for about a week. In that week, I helped Dr. Reilly get the living room ready for Brett. She borrowed a hospital bed for him so he could keep his leg up. He wouldn’t be allowed to put any weight on it until April. Then he’d be in rehab. The doctors were optimistic that he’d be able to go back to school by mid-April. He’d be on crutches, but he would be able to be there to graduate. At least he’d be home for his birthday. Jen and I didn’t talk much about the deal Jack had made. I think we were both humiliated by how far we’d sunk. I was kind of glad that I didn’t have to look Brett in the eyes for a while after that day. I felt like such a sleaze bag.

 

Life at school sucked without Brett. I’d lost my favorite teacher and now my boyfriend in just a few weeks. During the school day, I would gather up Brett’s assignments. He would have a lot of catching up to do once he was home. I spent much of the first day at school since the accident explaining to people what had happened to him. I found that Brett was much more popular than I ever realized. There were dozens of people who I’d never even heard of who came up to me and asked about him. Lots of them even told me that they were sorry about what happened, and if I needed anything to let them know what they could do. I found that odd. They didn’t even know me, yet they were willing to help me? People are strange.

 

Dustin hadn’t said much when I picked him up on Monday morning in Brett’s car. He just got in and sat there like a lump all the way to school. When we met for lunch, he looked even more forlorn than he had before.

 

“Everybody keeps asking me what happened,” Dustin said. “I hate having to tell the story over and over.”

 

“You’re not blaming yourself for what happened are you?” I asked.

 

“No… I mean, it was my dirt bike and he didn’t want to ride it.”

 

Emily Barnhart sat down next to us in Brett’s usual spot.

 

“Did I hear you saying that you think it’s your fault that Reilly got hurt?” she asked.

 

“No, I just…”

 

“Well stop it. Brett’s a big boy. If he was dumb enough to get on that stupid thing that’s his fault, not yours,” she said.

 

“I know that, but it doesn’t make me feel any better.”

 

Emily sighed. “Tell you what. My parents are going out Thursday night. Why don’t you stop by and watch a movie with me like we used to?”

 

Dustin smiled and began to blush. “Really? Well, I’ll have Chess club that day, and then baseball practice after school, but I’m free after that. Sure, but I don’t have a ride.”

 

“I’ll come pick you up,” Em said. I wasn’t quite sure what I was seeing, but I think two of my best friends just agreed to have a date.

 

After lunch, the day continued to trudge on with the same boring boredom that had become my school day. I was ready to be done with school. Twelve years of sitting in the same stupid little desks made for right-handed people was starting to get to me. I couldn’t wait to be finished and move on with my life. The thought of having to go through the next month of school without Brett was depressing. The class that used to be taught by Miss Winston was once the one I most looked forward to, but now it was the one I most loathed. The substitute the school had found for Miss Winston was so lost it was pathetic. The students knew more than he did about biology, thanks to Miss Winston’s teaching. We weren’t going to learn anything the rest of the year. I spent more time counting the freckles on the back of Dustin’s neck than anything.

 

On Thursday morning, there was an announcement from the principal that everyone was required to stay in their classrooms. We speculated what was going on, but Joey looked terrified. After about an hour of us all being stuck in our classrooms, the principal showed up at our door and asked to see Joey. Joey looked like he was being marched to the gallows as he was taken away by the principal. He never came back to class that day, or for the next ten days, which was the standard suspension for a drug offense at our school. It turns out that the reason we were all kept in our classrooms was that the school had brought in a drug-sniffing dog to go through the hallways and by the lockers. Joey’s locker had been one that the dog found interesting. Turns out that not even having your father serving as the solicitor on the school board can save you when you bring cocaine to school in your jacket pocket. Joey’s buddy Andy got busted too, along with about ten other kids for various drug-related infractions. He could have been expelled, since he had a previous suspension on his record for his fight with me, but Jack struck a deal with the board. As part of that deal, Joey had to accept a reduction of his class rank and could not represent the school as valedictorian. Miss Winston’s prophecy had come true – Joey had crashed and burned all on his own.

 

Now it was down to Sarah and me.

 

Since the Miss Winston incident, Sarah had become much more of a bitch. We had never been friends, and we’d only had about one conversation between us in twelve years. But now, she seemed to be on a mission. I think she knew that there was a lot of animosity from the other kids around the school about what had happened with Miss Winston, and she was determined to prove to everyone who was in charge of that school. With Joey out of the way, I knew it was a matter of time until they came after me. She knew she couldn’t beat me fairly.

 

To be honest, I had never thought too much about valedictorian. I mean really, who cares? I could prove I was the least stupid person in a field of idiots. What was the point? I knew I was smart. My teachers knew I was smart. Why did I need the validation of some stupid title? Screw that! All I wanted to do was just graduate and get the hell out of there and on with my life. I was tempted to just go to the principal’s office and tell him to please just give the stupid bitch the title so I could concentrate on more important things.

 

But that wasn’t going to happen.

 

On Friday afternoon of that crazy week, there was a small barely-noticeable announcement in the bottom left hand corner of the student activities bulletin board:

 

The student activity known as the LGBTQ Alliance

is hereby disbanded due to lack of sponsor.

 

-John Taylor, MVSD President

 

I had to read it twice just to make sure I was reading it correctly. I tracked down Doug Sanders, who was the president of the group and asked him what was up.

 

“No one on the staff wanted to take over for Miss Winston,” Doug told me.

 

“What? That’s bullshit!” I replied.

 

“Tell me about it. I don’t see why they had to cancel the whole club. The cheerleading team’s sponsor doesn’t even do anything. They have boosters that run it and the board just rubber stamps everything they want to do.”

 

“I can’t believe this garbage,” I complained.

 

“I’m surprised you even care, Billy,” Doug said. “I mean it’s not like you ever came to a meeting.”

 

“It’s the principle of the thing, dude. They’re only doing this because they want to punish us for not being their stupid little puppets.”

 

“Well, we’re obviously not going to let this be the last word. We’re planning to meet after school at Janet’s diner. You’re welcome to come. I know Brett would have wanted to be there.”

 

“I’ll think about it,” I said. “It’s not that I’ve never wanted to go. I’ve just got a lot of other things going on after school. When the baseball season starts I’ll be at all of their games to do the stats.”

 

“Well, you know where to find us today at least,” Doug said.

 

I stormed down the hall toward my last class, the waste of time known as advanced biology. I couldn’t stand to see Sarah sitting there looking so smug. I’d had enough. I walked up to her desk.

 

“Your father has a lot of nerve cancelling things he has no idea about,” I said.

 

“It was a board decision, not just my father. Just how much power do you think my father has around here, Billy?” she asked.

 

“I don’t know! Maybe we should ask Miss Winston. Oh, that’s right, you got her fired!”

 

“I most certainly did not! She quit on you, Billy. She quit on your stupid club for freaks and losers. Nobody forced her to leave. She did it voluntarily. She was being completely unfair and trying to punish me for being sick! My father was only trying to make things right! I’ve earned my grades!”

 

“Sure you did! Just like you earned head cheerleader. I’m sure you put the ‘head’ in that title!”

 

Sarah slapped me right in the face. Can’t say I didn’t deserve it. It made me laugh.

 

“I’m not even going to waste my time going to the principal’s office to report that you just assaulted me,” I said. “Knowing this place, I’d probably be the one who got suspended.”

 

“I don’t need my father to defend me, Billy. Whether you like dick or pussy you boys are all the same. You don’t know how to handle a strong independent woman. I’ve earned everything I’ve got in this school.”

 

“The only thing you’ve earned is a trip to my ass!” I replied. I walked to my desk behind Dustin just as the substitute came in apologizing for running behind. Yeah… I don’t know what my insult was supposed to mean either, but it sounded tough at the time.

 

Dustin couldn’t stop laughing at me as we walked to Brett’s car.

 

“You just earned a one-way trip to my ass!” Dustin mocked me. “Oh man, I was trying so hard not to laugh! That was so awesome!”

 

“Come on, dude. I shouldn’t have said anything to her. It’s not like she’s the one who got the gay club cancelled. I just added fuel to the fire losing my temper like that.”

 

“How exactly does one earn a trip to your ass, anyway? I mean, are there tickets you can buy?”

 

“Dustin please! I’ve had a bad day.”

 

“I’d buy a ticket if you…”

 

“Stop! Just… Just tell me how it went with Em last night,” I insisted, hoping to change the subject.

 

Dustin began to blush. “Oh that? It… It was good.”

 

“How good?”

 

“I can’t tell you,” Dustin said.

 

“What? Did you fuck her or something?” I asked.

 

“No!” Dustin replied. “Dude, no. It was just really nice. We had a good time and we will probably do it again tomorrow night.”

 

“Going to do ‘it’ again, huh?” I teased. “Just admit it! You fucked her.”

 

“No! Billy, get your mind out of the gutter. I’m trying to have something special with her. Did you fuck Brett on your first date?”

 

“I don’t even know what would qualify as our first date. I guess he sucked my dick when we first became boyfriends. Does that count?”

 

“Ew. Anyway, it was a good time. I’ve always liked her. I don’t want to rush things with her. For once I’d like to have a relationship in my life that isn’t ruined by me being stupid.”

 

As we were driving along, my cell phone began to ring. Dustin grabbed it and answered it before I could stop him.

 

“You need to fuck your boyfriend soon. He’s getting bitchy.”

 

“Is that Brett?” I asked.

 

“No, it’s your other boyfriend,” Dustin laughed. “Seriously, let me tell you what he did…”

 

“Dustin, no!” I protested. I reached for my phone, but all I got was the hat Dustin was wearing, so I started to hit him with it.

 

“Now he’s assaulting me!” Dustin laughed uncontrollably. “Ow! Ow!”

 

“Give me the phone, Dustin!”

 

“No, yeah, we heard about it… Yeah, it’s bullshit. I agree… Janet’s… Yeah…”

 

“What did he say?” I asked.

 

“He said you shouldn’t talk on a cell phone when you’re driving his car,” Dustin replied.

 

“Fuck you guys. You’re worse now than you were when you were fighting.”

 

“Please, he needs fucked bad. He’s all grouchy and lashing out at people. You want me to fuck him for you since you’re laid up?”

 

“Dustin!”

 

“Mmm hmm… No, I wouldn’t charge. What are friends for?”

 

“Dustin please!”

 

“Billy, we’re trying to talk business here. Do you mind? So we agree, your boyfriend is a little bitch who couldn’t handle my humongous dick. I guess you’re out of luck, William.”

 

“Just give me the fucking phone!” I said. I managed to get the phone away from my maniacal best friend and heard my boyfriend laughing more heartily than I’d heard in a long time.

 

“I’m glad you find my suffering amusing,” I said.

 

“Well, since I’m all banged up I figured you could use a banging yourself,” Brett joked. “I’ve heard from a reliable source he has a big dick.”

 

“Yours is big enough for me,” I replied, though my eyes subtly lowered their way to Dustin’s lap. My gaze shifted upward to Dustin’s face. He smiled knowingly. I looked back to the road.

 

“So anyway, Dougie filled me in on what happened at school,” Brett said. “I miss one week and the whole place falls apart. It’s fucking bullshit. I get it though. Any teacher who would have stepped up would have been committing career suicide. We were lucky to have Miss Winston as long as we did.”

 

“Yeah,”

 

“So, you going to go to the meeting at Janet’s?”

 

“I wasn’t planning on it.”

 

“I think you should. I think it’d be good for you to meet with some people who could support you while I’m not there.”

 

“I don’t know. I guess you’re feeling better?”

 

“Yeah, I’m off the pain meds. I’m peeing in a jug now instead of a catheter. I’ll be home on Monday.”

 

“You’re totally off the pain meds?”

 

“Yeah. The only thing I’m on now is an antibiotic and a blood thinner.”

 

“What’s that for?”

 

“Well, I’ve been laying on my ass for a week and they’re worried about blood clots. Seriously, I can’t wait to get out of here. Even if I have to be on my ass for a month, it’ll still be better at home than here. I’m bored out of my skull here.”

 

“Yeah. Well I’m still going to come up tomorrow.”

 

“Cool. Stop by my house and grab my GameBoy will you? It’s probably in my room, but who knows.”

 

“Sure thing,” I replied.

 

“Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow. I love you.”

 

“I love you more,” I replied. “Bye.”

 

“See ya,” Brett said.

 

“Awwww! Does wookie-kins miss his wittle snickle-dums?” Dustin asked.

 

“Shut up, sweet little Dusty!” I replied.

 

“Dude, I can’t believe I spent all that time hating him. He’s like the brother I never had.”

 

“He likes you too. He would never admit it, of course.”

 

“Yeah. Hey, you want to go to that meeting?” Dustin asked.

 

“I don’t know. I won’t know anybody without Brett there.”

 

“Okay, first of all, that’s bull. Second, you won’t be alone. I’ll go with you.”

 

“You will?”

 

“Sure. I’ve probably fucked more guys than everyone in that club put together. But I just want to support you guys, you and Brett, I mean.”

 

“That’s cool, Dustin. You don’t have to do that.”

 

“Yes I do. I think we all need to support each other a lot more around here. I don’t know all the games that are going on, but I know there’s some real trouble brewing. If we all don’t support each other, then they’ll win. The way people like that win is by dividing everybody. But if we stick together, then we can beat them.”

 

So we went.

 

Janet was happy to see us and directed us to the back room of her diner. There were a few kids from school hanging out there. I knew their faces at least. They looked so young. I never thought that there would be kids there from lower grades, but sure enough there they were. Doug arrived a little while after us, and he and Dustin chatted. I just sort of sat there and tried to stay out of the way.

 

“Are you guys ready to start?” Doug asked the assembled kids. There were about ten or so of us there. Doug talked about the situation with Miss Winston resigning and the other teachers at the school not standing up for us. “It looks like we’re just going to have to meet in places like this without the school’s permission.”

 

“That’s bullshit!” one of the kids said. “We all know the reason Miss Winston left was because of what Sarah Taylor’s father did! Why don’t you just tank a test so the board will leave the rest of us alone, Roberts?”

 

“Guys, it’s not Billy’s fault the school board is doing this. He’s one of us.”

 

“It took him long enough to show it,” the kid replied. “All he’s done is hide like a little bitch while the rest of us put our necks on the line.”

 

“Why don’t you watch your mouth, Aiden?” Dustin threatened.

 

“Or what? You going to beat me up, Smith?”

 

“Guys, stop!” I shouted, standing between Dustin and Aiden. “Don’t you see? This is exactly what they want! They want us fighting each other and tearing each other apart. If we can’t stand together they’ve already got us beat. You understand what I’m telling you? Look, what was your name again? Aiden? I understand why you’re pissed off at me. You’re right. I’ve spent my whole life in the closet. I’ve lived in fear of these people. And what did it get me? Nothing. I’m tired of being afraid. I’m tired of letting everyone else tell me who I should be and who I can love. I’m done with that. I am gay, and that’s not something I should have to be ashamed of. I won’t go back to the way I was before. I’m proud to be gay, and I’m proud to stand beside you guys and fight for something that’s more important than us. We can’t let them win. We can’t.”

 

“You talk tough now,” Aiden replied. “But when the pressure’s on and we need you, you’ll bail on us just like Miss Winston did. You’re all talk and no balls, Roberts. First sign of a real fight you’ll run and hide just like she did.”

 

I stood face to face with Aiden. He was a freckle-faced little dork with braces who looked like he was barely a sophomore. I towered over him by about half a foot. And yet, he stood his ground and didn’t back down. “You can call me a coward, but don’t you dare talk about Miss Winston like that. Miss Winston was willing to put her ass on the line for her principles. She sacrificed herself to stand up to these people. She didn’t owe us anything, and yet she gave up her career to stand up for what was right. You may be right about me, but if you ever talk about Miss Winston like that again I’ll slap you so hard I’ll knock the braces right out of your stupid little mouth.”

 

Aiden gulped, but he didn’t back down. “Let’s see if you can back up your big mouth with your actions, Roberts. I don’t think you will. We’ll see if you have the balls to stand with us when it really matters.”

Thanks for reading!

Next Time: Blame It on the Rain
Copyright © 2017 jkwsquirrel; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 8
  • Wow 5
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a change. Billy now seems like he is out and proud.  Aiden should be reminded of what happened in the church with Carl.  He certainly didn’t back down under that pressure. Janet Rush is also awesome in this chapter. Allowing the club to meet at her diner was very brave. Especially in a small town of religious nuts.  After almost 13 years Dustin Brett and Billy finally seem to have the friendship that they always should have had.  I do almost feel bad for Joey in this chapter but I hope that this will get him into rehab and off the drugs.  

Blame it on the rain?  Does someone get pneumonia?  

Thanks Jeff for the early release and new chapter. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Why don’t you take a one way ticket to my ass? That was classic. Keep digging at spread me Sarah.

Dustin was hilarious this chapter. Hope he gets his chance at a real relationship.

Joey and his downfall is a recipe for disaster. I could see his ass going postal.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

From Aiden’s point of view, Billy squandered many chances to make a difference. It sounds like he doesn’t attend that homophobic ‘church’ with Billy’s mother and Joey’s family. Aiden’s got spunk (and Lou Grant hates spunk*)!  ;-)

 

It seems like the kids are finally organizing and standing up for themselves. They’re going to need Billy and Aiden! They’re going to need any and everybody they can round up to oppose Jack and his cronies! Maybe the man formerly known as the Vanilla Douche has some hidden talents and resources!  ;-)

 

 

* A Mary Tyler Moore show reference. It was part of a conversation between Lou and Mary, possibly when she’s being interviewed for her job. But in any case, it was almost certainly from the first season!  ;-)

 

Mary is initially complimented when Lou tells her, “You’ve got spunk.” [pause] “I hate spunk!”

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment

"The only thing you've earned is a trip to my ass!"  Billy just has the best comebacks. :D Brett's going to have a field day with that one.

 

Dustin picked up baseball again?  Interesting.  He must be recovering a lot better than I thought.

 

Joey: I'm surprised he even got to come back to school, I thought Jack would ship him off somewhere to avoid further embarrassment from his failure of a son.  He deserved everything he got, but it always makes me sad to see a young man's life ruined by drugs.  I'm also surprised he was still in the running, considering all the drugs he was taking.

 

Sarah: the biggest fish in a tiny pond.  Maybe Billy should give her the title and be left alone, but he had to screw that up and make it personal with her.  And that comeback.

 

That scene with Brett and Dustin was just great.  I really hope Em can be Dustin's special someone.  But it looks like part of him really wants what Sarah earned.

 

The meeting is off to a rocky start, but it looks like Aiden is another Billy in the making.  That school better watch out.

Edited by Shadow086
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Hmm, I guess that scene in the beginning of the book with Sarah was something of a red herring.  

 

Wise words from Dustin in the car about standing together.  He’s really come into his own.   Not surprised about Dustin and Emily but still, I was sort of rooting Billy, Brett AND Dustin since a few chapters back when someone said “please no polyamory” - occurred to me that Id be totally okay with that lol

 

Aiden has a point but god, people like that annoy the hell out of me.  Billy certainly handled it well though - he doesn’t have the best track record when it comes to personal attacks, but maybe that’s just with people he’s close to.  Or maybe he’s just grown :)

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Aiden was right. Billy handled it in a quasi mature way though.

I am hoping Billy will not only be talk and will not choose the coward's way out, like he did so many times before.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
21 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

One way ticket to my ass! The only reason she slapped him is because it was true! Dustin and Em huh, cute! Oh and billy, please slap that little queen aiden!

It was one of my favorite Billy moments too.  Glad you enjoyed it!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
21 hours ago, glennish said:

What a change. Billy now seems like he is out and proud.  Aiden should be reminded of what happened in the church with Carl.  He certainly didn’t back down under that pressure. Janet Rush is also awesome in this chapter. Allowing the club to meet at her diner was very brave. Especially in a small town of religious nuts.  After almost 13 years Dustin Brett and Billy finally seem to have the friendship that they always should have had.  I do almost feel bad for Joey in this chapter but I hope that this will get him into rehab and off the drugs.  

Blame it on the rain?  Does someone get pneumonia?  

Thanks Jeff for the early release and new chapter. 

Billy has his moments, but for someone younger like Aiden all he sees is someone who was too ashamed to be honest about who he is.  When I think about Billy and the era in which the story takes place, he's almost the last of his kind.  He's grown up right on the edge of when marriage equality is about to become a reality.  His whole world is being flipped upside down, and he's trying to find his place in that coming world.  He's  a  walking contradiction, conservative upbringing clashing with a liberal sex drive.  It's fun to play in that sandbox as a writer, yet frustrating for the people who have to live with him. (and sometimes for my readers!)  Aiden represents the younger generation that is coming up behind Billy's era, ones who are not so willing to put up with the bullshit, and less patient with the lack of progress previous generations made.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
21 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

Why don’t you take a one way ticket to my ass? That was classic. Keep digging at spread me Sarah.

Dustin was hilarious this chapter. Hope he gets his chance at a real relationship.

Joey and his downfall is a recipe for disaster. I could see his ass going postal.

It was a lot of fun writing this chapter, especially Dustin.  It took him a lot of work to get there, but we're finally seeing the young man Dustin could have been long ago if not for his abusive upbringing.  Can't say the same for Joey though!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
21 hours ago, droughtquake said:

From Aiden’s point of view, Billy squandered many chances to make a difference. It sounds like he doesn’t attend that homophobic ‘church’ with Billy’s mother and Joey’s family. Aiden’s got spunk (and Lou Grant hates spunk*)!  ;-)

 

It seems like the kids are finally organizing and standing up for themselves. They’re going to need Billy and Aiden! They’re going to need any and everybody they can round up to oppose Jack and his cronies! Maybe the man formerly known as the Vanilla Douche has some hidden talents and resources!  ;-)

I got the MTM reference! lol  I think allllll the way back to chapter 1-1.  Billy was moving on to the baseball field, but he couldn't help but stop and watch the kids who had taken over his old section of the playground.  Aiden represents those kids who had taken over the swings.  Billy is reaching the end of his high school days.  Soon he'll have moved on, and the younger kids like Aiden will inherit the school.  Aiden is just bold enough to call out the older kids and call them on the way they used their time at school.  Just think, here is this sophomore, barely five and a half feet tall, calling out two six-foot tall seniors.  Mon Valley High better watch out, because Aiden and the kids like him aren't going to back down when things get difficult.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
21 hours ago, glennish said:

could prove I was the least stupid person in a field of idiots

 

best quote of the series. 

Followed closely by:

 “The only thing you’ve earned is a trip to my ass

 

20 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

I like (Just like you earned head cheerleader, I’m sure  you put the HEAD in that title). That’s a Mean Girls moment if I’ve seen one.

Both classic Billy snark moments.  I also liked, "I'll slap the braces out of your stupid little mouth."  Such a "Billy" thing to say!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
18 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

"The only thing you've earned is a trip to my ass!"  Billy just has the best comebacks

There's a very short fuse between his brain and his mouth!  Of course, sometimes it backfires on him!

 

18 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

Dustin picked up baseball again?  Interesting.  He must be recovering a lot better than I thought.

He's just really good at it, too much talent to let walk away.  I'm sure his coach and the other players were begging for him to come back.  He won the batting title as a freshman.

 

18 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

Joey: I'm surprised he even got to come back to school, I thought Jack would ship him off somewhere to avoid further embarrassment from his failure of a son.  He deserved everything he got, but it always makes me sad to see a young man's life ruined by drugs.  I'm also surprised he was still in the running, considering all the drugs he was taking.

Even without the intervention of the police, he was going to fall.  Too much pressure, too weak-willed.  Getting caught was probably the best thing that could have happened to him.

 

18 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

Sarah: the biggest fish in a tiny pond.

Exactly!

 

18 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

That scene with Brett and Dustin was just great.  I really hope Em can be Dustin's special someone.

We only get half of the Brett-Dustin phone call, but what a phone call it was!  The relationship between Em and Dustin is going to be quite interesting in the next couple chapters.

 

18 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

looks like Aiden is another Billy in the making.  That school better watch out

Indeed.  He's going to make Billy look downright cooperative.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Israfil said:

Hmm, I guess that scene in the beginning of the book with Sarah was something of a red herring.  

Sort of.  It gave us insight into her reasoning.  She really thinks she's earned what she has in spite of her father, not because of him.  Of course, we all know what Billy thinks she's earned!

 

15 hours ago, Israfil said:

Wise words from Dustin in the car about standing together.  He’s really come into his own.   Not surprised about Dustin and Emily but still, I was sort of rooting Billy, Brett AND Dustin since a few chapters back when someone said “please no polyamory” - occurred to me that Id be totally okay with that lol

I'm glad the real Dustin is back.  As for a three-way relationship?  Brett doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would share his boyfriend.  Did I pair the spares in this chapter?  We'll find out!

 

15 hours ago, Israfil said:

Aiden has a point but god, people like that annoy the hell out of me.  Billy certainly handled it well though - he doesn’t have the best track record when it comes to personal attacks, but maybe that’s just with people he’s close to.  Or maybe he’s just grown

As I described up above, Aiden is a different breed than Billy.  If the school thinks Billy is bad, they haven't seen anything yet!  Although Billy threatening to slap the braces out of his mouth isn't exactly the best way to deal with someone!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Freerider said:

Aiden was right. Billy handled it in a quasi mature way though.

I am hoping Billy will not only be talk and will not choose the coward's way out, like he did so many times before.

Definitely "quasi" mature!  Though Aiden is right.  Billy isn't someone who likes to get physically rough.  He does his fighting with his mouth.  Any time Billy's been in a physical situation, he's been slaughtered.  Even the girls beat him.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, jkwsquirrel said:

He's just really good at it, too much talent to let walk away.  I'm sure his coach and the other players were begging for him to come back.  He won the batting title as a freshman.

From what he said in chapter 3, I didn't think he'd ever play again.

9 minutes ago, jkwsquirrel said:

Even without the intervention of the police, he was going to fall.  Too much pressure, too weak-willed.  Getting caught was probably the best thing that could have happened to him.

It was, but you'd think Jack would jump at the chance to ship him off to military school and be done with him.

 

And Dustin?  Well, despite what he keeps saying, I don't think he's over Billy yet. I don't think he'll cause any real trouble, though.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, jkwsquirrel said:

I got the MTM reference! lol  I think allllll the way back to chapter 1-1.  Billy was moving on to the baseball field, but he couldn't help but stop and watch the kids who had taken over his old section of the playground.  Aiden represents those kids who had taken over the swings.  Billy is reaching the end of his high school days.  Soon he'll have moved on, and the younger kids like Aiden will inherit the school.  Aiden is just bold enough to call out the older kids and call them on the way they used their time at school.  Just think, here is this sophomore, barely five and a half feet tall, calling out two six-foot tall seniors.  Mon Valley High better watch out, because Aiden and the kids like him aren't going to back down when things get difficult.

Aiden’s going to found the Denora chapter of Queer Nation at some point in the future!  ;-)

Link to comment

Time-traveler here. I got goosebumps on Aiden's appearance! I haven't read his story yet. But from what I heard. He's a tough one and could be a pain in the ass. Needless to say, I like him.

I couldn't help but hear the Avengers theme right after the end of this chapter.

I'm so pumped! A war is coming!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 3:26 AM, noahthesmallpotato said:

Time-traveler here. I got goosebumps on Aiden's appearance! I haven't read his story yet. But from what I heard. He's a tough one and could be a pain in the ass. Needless to say, I like him.

I couldn't help but hear the Avengers theme right after the end of this chapter.

I'm so pumped! A war is coming!

Good old Bishop makes his first appearance! (to get the reference you have to read Aiden's War.  Mwah hahahahahahahaaa!)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..