Jump to content
    jkwsquirrel
  • Author
  • 3,997 Words
  • 3,821 Views
  • 27 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Commencement - 3. The Resurrection of Billy Roberts

I pissed the bed.

 

Yep, I’m a seventeen-year-old kid and I fucking pissed the bed last night… Again! God, I was so fucking pissed off! My dad used to say better pissed off than pissed on, well, I took care of both of those in one night!

 

It was the night before school started. Senior year. I was so not ready to go back to school. Somehow through all of my troubles I’d managed to keep my perfect grades. I don’t know how. I guess my school wasn’t challenging enough. That was probably true. It wasn’t exactly a bastion of learning excellence. If things kept going as they were, I had a shot at valedictorian. The only problem was I was caught in a three-way tie at the top of the class. I couldn’t have asked for two more perfect people to be my rivals for academic superiority. One was super-bitch Sarah Taylor, the daughter of the school board president, head cheerleader, future student body president, and general pain in my ass since grade school. My dick was about the only one she hadn’t sucked or ridden in my class. She was such a slut! It was no wonder she won every election at our school. She probably won every male vote in the place. I mean, yeah, she was pretty and she put out, but that was no reason to hand her everything she wanted in her life. I wondered just how much of her success had to do with her work in class and how much had to do with her work on her knees. There were even rumors that she’d fucked a couple of the teachers, but you know how rumors get started in a small town.

 

The other contender for the valedictorian’s crown was my arch-nemesis, Joey McKenzie. That’s right, my boyfriend’s secret half-brother, the boy who I’d humiliated when I revealed his plans to have his girlfriend get an abortion, the boy who I’d punched in the face, the son of the man who had threatened to destroy my life if I ever revealed that he was my boyfriend’s father… That was who I was tied with, neck and neck, for valedictorian. Joey hadn’t been much trouble for me through my junior year like he had been in the past. Ever since his dad had threatened me if I ever told anybody about him being Brett’s father, Joey had pretty much left me alone. As much as Joey hated me, he was more terrified of his father. Jack McKenzie had told me that Joey wouldn’t be a problem for me as long as I kept quiet, and sure enough that had been the case. It was all the more reason to keep the secret to myself. If Joey was so afraid of his father that he would abandon his favorite pastime of torturing me, I knew he wasn’t somebody I wanted to piss off. The relative peace had allowed me to excel in school even with all the shit that was going on in my personal life.

 

But they were going to screw me somehow. The school board president’s daughter and the school board solicitor’s son versus the son of a nobody? I was totally going to get screwed, and not in the good way. It was just a matter of time. When things got tight, if it looked like I was going to win, they would screw me. They had to. I was poor white trash, and worse, I was gay. They were the cream of the crop, I was a queer. It was only natural that they would not only beat me, but screw me to do it.

 

Showers took about twice the time they used to since my hair had gotten so long. I was beginning to forget what it was like to have short hair. It had been a few years since my last haircut. To be honest, I was ready to chop it off. It was getting annoying to maintain. But mom was constantly “suggesting” that I should cut it, and that was the main reason I kept it so long. It was one thing that she couldn’t control about my life, and it was driving her crazy. It seemed like cutting it would be letting her win. I was tired of losing on every front with her. I didn’t want much. I just wanted to be with my boyfriend and not have every aspect of my life ruled by someone else.

 

Was that too much to ask?

 

Another problem with having really long hair was that it took forever to dry. It was still wet by the time I gathered up my stuff and met Brett in the driveway to go to school. I was so happy when Brett got a car and could drive us to school instead of riding the bus. It made things so much easier. No senior wanted to be seen riding the school bus. Brett had done so much better in eleventh grade than he ever had in school before. I think the main reason was because he stopped getting half-assed tutoring from me, which was honestly just an excuse for us to have sex. He was seeing a real honest-to-god reading expert, who was helping him to overcome his dyslexia and really learn how to read for the first time in his life. Now he was almost never seen without a book in his hands. It was kind of cute to watch him rapidly devour all of the books he could find, everything from Dr. Seuss to “The Hobbit,” books I’d read years ago. When Brett used his hyperactivity for good, there was no limit to the good things he might be able to achieve. It was like whole new worlds had opened up for him, worlds in which he didn’t really need me anymore. I felt like I was becoming part of his past, just something that he’d kept around to not hurt my feelings but that he’d grown out of, like an old pair of comfortable sneakers.

 

“Ready for a new year, dude?” he asked as I slipped into the passenger seat next to him.

 

“As ready as I’m going to be,” I replied. I’d just left the house and already felt like going to the bathroom again. I wanted to go back to bed.

 

“Okay, we’ve just got one more stop to make and we’ll be on our way,” Brett said.

 

It was always an adventure to ride along with Brett when he drove. He wasn’t as easily distracted as he used to be, but he was still ADHD. You could never get too used to whatever was on the radio when he drove, even if it was a song he liked.

 

“Ugh… ‘The Reason,’” Brett groaned. “I mean, Hoobastank was never good, but now they just reek.” He began flipping through the stations until he found some AC/DC. I don’t know what song it was, all AC/DC sounds the same, and I’d never hear the whole song with Brett in control of the music.

 

“Dirty deeds… Done dirt cheap!” Brett sang along with the song. He leaned closer to me and whispered as the song got quieter. “Dirty deeds and they’re done dirt cheap…”

 

Then he changed the station again.

 

It looked like Brett was going to drive past Dustin’s house, and I could see him outside in front of his house, waiting for the bus. I never expected Brett to pull up next to him, and then for Dustin to jump into the backseat of Brett’s car as if they had planned the moment ahead of time!

 

“What’s up, dude?” Brett asked, offering Dustin his hand. Dustin grabbed hold of Brett’s hand and they shook. I was still getting over the shock.

 

“Let’s do this!” Dustin replied. The tires on Brett’s car spun and kicked gravel behind us as he peeled out of Dustin’s place. I couldn’t believe it. The two of them were chatting like old friends as Brett drove us toward the school. I just sat there quietly as I tried to process what was happening. I never in a million years thought I would see the two of them behaving like civilized adults with each other, let alone Brett freely giving Dustin a ride to school in his car.

 

Brett pulled into the student parking lot and the three of us exited the vehicle. Dustin ran into some old friends of his from the baseball team and quickly sprinted off with them, leaving Brett and me to talk as we walked toward the school together.

 

“You’re awfully quiet this morning,” Brett said.

 

“I just… I don’t know what to say. I never thought I’d see the two of you acting like that.”

 

“Like what?” Brett asked.

 

“Like… civilized people.”

 

Brett laughed. “Dude, we’re not stupid little kids anymore fighting over who gets to be your friend. We’re seniors now. Don’t you think it’s time to quit acting like little bitches?”

 

“I just… I’m kind of shocked. How did you even plan to have him ride with us?”

 

“I used this revolutionary device called a telephone, which allows people to talk to each other and make plans without even being in the same building together. You should try it sometime.”

 

“You called him?”

 

“No, I had to have my mommy dial the numbers. Of course I called him!”

 

“Wow… I… I’m just really impressed. I guess I thought you’d hate each other forever.”

 

“Things change, dude. I mean, the guy almost died in my living room. We don’t want to live in the past anymore. This is a new year. I figure, if I can make peace with Dustin anything is possible. Besides, he’s a pretty cool guy. Why didn’t you ever tell me he was so nice?”

 

“I don’t know what’s even real anymore,” I replied, smiling. I couldn’t believe it, but I liked it. Maybe Brett was right? Maybe anything really was possible?

 

Well, school was school. I liked my schedule. The school was trying something new that year, and home rooms were arranged by last names, instead of by academic level. So, I was in the same homeroom as Brett, Dustin, and Bobby Rush, and also with Sarah Taylor. But thankfully, for the first time since elementary school I didn’t have to share a homeroom with Joey McKenzie. Homerooms had lunch and some classes like gym together, so I could look forward to seeing Brett a lot more in school than I used to. Brett had progressed out of many of his remedial classes and was taking regular classes for almost all of his subjects. Dustin would be joining me in my advanced classes. There was never a time when I wouldn’t have some friend of mine in class with me, which made things so much more tolerable than my junior year when it seemed like I was always alone.

 

Most of my classmates were dismayed when they found out that Miss Winston was assigned to teach our advanced biology class, but I was happy about it. Miss Winston was one of my favorite teachers, and I had missed not having a class with her in my junior year. It just seemed like junior year had been some kind of bizarre nightmare and I was finally waking up to find that I was a senior. I didn’t even mind that Miss Winston had assigned me to work with Sarah Taylor when she divided the class into pairs to work on our first assignment of the year.

 

“You know, in all the years we’ve been in school, I think this is the first time we’ve been assigned to work together, Billy,” she said as we sat down next to each other to begin the project.

 

“Yeah, weird since we’re always in the same classes,” I replied.

 

“It seems like we live in two different worlds even though we go to the same school.”

 

“Yeah, well, I’m not exactly Mr. Popularity.”

 

“That’s only because you’re so quiet.”

 

“Oh trust me, it’s better when I don’t talk. The more I talk the more I piss people off,” I replied.

 

“I don’t believe that. You’ve always seemed like a nice boy. We’ve been in almost every class together for twelve years and I think this is the most we’ve ever said to each other. I feel like I don’t even know anything about you.”

 

“That’s kind of the way I like it,” I said.

 

“Just trying to fly under the radar?”

 

“Yeah, if I could just be invisible, that would be great.”

 

“I can’t argue with that. You probably think I like all the attention I get, having everybody know everything about me and what I’m doing.”

 

“Don’t you?”

 

“Would you like for everybody in the school to think you’re a big slut who would sleep with anybody?”

 

“I… I guess that would suck.”

 

“You don’t have to guess, I can just tell you. It sucks. It also sucks to have everybody think that everything in life is just handed to you because of who your parents are. I didn’t ask to be the daughter of the school board president. I’ve worked hard for what I’ve earned. No one handed me anything, and if they did, I wouldn’t want it.”

 

“Really?” I asked. “God, I wouldn’t care. I’d love to have someone working behind the scenes pulling the strings to get me something I didn’t have to work like a dog for.”

 

“Is that what you think my dad does for me?” she asked.

 

“Well, you don’t have to worry about getting suspended for three days when someone tries to bully you,” I replied.

 

“I don’t think anyone would get suspended for that,” Sarah replied. It was then I realized that she didn’t even remember that she had once gotten me suspended from school. It just made me hate her more. I wasn’t even a blip on her radar. I wondered if she cared about anyone but herself and her own problems.

 

However, she was an excellent lab partner. Despite us spending much of our time in meaningless chit chat, we still finished our assignment ten minutes before anyone else, and it was done perfectly. It just made me even more pissed off that I could work so well with someone so vile. I didn’t have to like her to respect her intellect. I just hoped that she would maybe respect me a little more after our conversation, but it was more likely that she’d forget my name by the end of class.

 

At the end of the day, I walked with Brett and Dustin back to the car. I saw Sarah walking nearby with some of her friends. She looked right at me, but it was like she was looking through me at someone else. Nothing had changed.

 

“You guys want to stop somewhere to get something to eat?” Brett asked.

 

“I’m broke,” Dustin replied.

 

“Me too,” I said.

 

“That’s okay. It’ll be my treat,” Brett insisted.

 

He drove us to my favorite restaurant, Janet’s Diner. We got a table and Bobby’s mom took our order. Brett told her that it would all be on one check.

 

“You don’t have to pay for my food,” Dustin said.

 

“I know. It’s a special occasion. We’re celebrating your return to the outskirts of nowhere.”

 

“Gee, thanks,” Dustin replied.

 

“So, you going to try out for basketball and baseball?” Brett asked.

 

“I don’t know… Baseball brings back a lot of bad memories.”

 

“Yeah, but you were good,” Brett said. “The team could compete for states with you on the team.”

 

“Yeah, but I haven’t swung a bat in almost two years.”

 

“It wouldn’t matter that much. Dude, you have talent that other guys would kill for. You have the best pure swing of anybody I’ve ever seen. You led the league in batting average as a freshman. You would have set all kinds of records if you could have played all four years. You have a gift. That kind of talent doesn’t disappear in a year or two.”

 

“When did you become the school’s sports recruiter?” I asked.

 

“You don’t want to see us win this year?” Brett asked.

 

“I don’t care,” I said.

 

“No shit,” Brett replied. “You don’t care about anything.”

 

“Are we seriously going to start this again? Look, Brett. I just had the best day of school I’ve had in a year. Okay? Don’t start with me. Don’t ruin it.”

 

“Guys, it’s okay…” Dustin tried.

 

“Butt out,” I snapped at him. “No one cares what you think.”

 

“Don’t talk to him like that!” Brett scolded me. “Why do you have to be such a dick?”

 

“I’m not being a dick,” I insisted. “I just want to eat my fucking food without being harassed about my stupid fucking attitude. I actually felt good for the first time in a year today and now you totally fucking ruined it.”

 

“How did I ruin anything? I just want you to not be a fucking asshole for one goddamn minute so we can enjoy one goddamn lunch together! For fuck’s sake, Billy! Don’t be a fucking bitch!”

 

I was about to unload on Brett when Janet arrived at our table with our order.

 

“Boys, I don’t want to have to remind you again to play nice. Cut out that swearing or you’ll be eating in the parking lot.”

 

“Sorry, Mrs. Rush,” Brett said quickly.

 

“Sorry…” I mumbled. “Whatever…”

 

We ate our food quietly. About five minutes later, Brett mumbled under his breath, “You were being a dick.”

 

“Suck it, Reilly,” I replied.

 

I felt bad for Dustin. He looked like a hostage stuck there with us. After dinner, we made our way back to the car for an even quieter car ride. Brett dropped Dustin off at his house first, leaving us alone together. I knew that Brett was an expert at the silent treatment, so I decided to get the ball rolling before he dropped me off at my house without us having settled things.

 

“Look,” I said. “I’m sorry I was a dick. I am trying to be better.”

 

“It doesn’t seem like it. It doesn’t feel like you want to get better at all. I think you like being miserable. I just… I miss what we used to have together. You know? It seems like lately all we do is fight. I’m tired of it. I hate feeling this way. I hate dreading seeing you because I don’t know what is going to piss you off next. I just want things to be the way they were before.”

 

“I know… Brett, I honestly am trying. I hate feeling like shit all the time. I’m starting to think there might be something wrong with me that can’t be fixed.”

 

“Listen to me Billy. I promised you a long time ago that I would always love you. I meant it then, and I still mean it. I still love you. But you are exhausting me. It feels like we’ve gone from drifting apart to running apart. Pretty soon, I’m afraid we’re going to forget what it was like to be in love with each other. Remember when we first got together and we had sex every day for a month? Then we started having sex once or twice a week. Then it was once or twice a month. Now it’s been two months since we had sex. We barely kiss anymore. We hardly even talk without fighting. I feel like I’m losing you, and you’re not even trying to make it better. This is even worse than breaking up. This is torture. I’d rather break up than keep living like this.”

 

“I knew it would come to this. So you want to break up then?” I asked.

 

“Of course not! Billy, I just want to get back something of what we had together. We were so close. It felt like we could read each other’s mind. But now, I feel so far away from you. I just want my boyfriend back.”

 

“Brett, I get it. I feel it too. I wish I could make this funk I’m in stop. I still love you. I’m just so frustrated! It’s like the more I try to make everyone else happy the more miserable I get.”

 

“Then stop trying to please everybody else!”

 

“Including you?”

 

“Yes, including me! Billy, I don’t want you to try to make me happy. I don’t need you to do that. I will love you no matter what. I would love for you to not be miserable, but that doesn’t mean I want you to change who you are. I just know that it’s killing you to be so depressed. But it’s not up to you to make me happy. You don’t have to pretend to be something you’re not for me to love you.”

 

“Fuck, why can’t my mom understand that?”

 

“Dude, if you want to keep trying to make your mother happy by betraying who you really are, then that’s your right. But if you do that you will never be happy. You’re going to just keep being miserable because your mother is making you live a lie. She may have accepted in her head that you’re gay, but she never could accept it in her heart. This whole last year, she’s been trying to break you. Sometimes I think she has succeeded. But then you have those moments when the real you comes through.”

 

“The real me? I don’t even know who that is anymore.”

 

“Well, I can’t define that for you. I just know that I haven’t seen him in a long time. I miss him.”

 

“Well how about this? You’d say the real me isn’t this mom-pleasing douchebag I’ve turned into, right?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“The real Billy Roberts would tell his mom to go fuck herself because the two of us are together and if she doesn’t like it she can go to hell. Right?”

 

“Definitely!”

 

“Okay. Seems to me there’s only one way to break out of this funk I’m in. But I’m going to need your help to do it.”

 

“You know I would do anything for you,” Brett replied.

 

“All right! I have to do something to show my mother that I am my own person and that she doesn’t control me. I need to do something crazy, something unexpected. I need to do something to show her that I’m never going to be like her. Brett, we need to go to the tattoo place down on Main Street.”

 

“Now we’re talking!” Brett said. “We’re… Wait… Did you say the tattoo place?”

 

Thanks for reading! I'd love to know what you thought!

Next time: Like Father, Like Son
Copyright © 2017 jkwsquirrel; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 6
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



YES!!!!!!!! Billy get a tat!!! Rebel!!! Viva la  revalucion!!! And Brett and Dustin being friendly weird but awesome. Brett has grown up more than I ever thought possible. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Every time Billy seems to be making progress, he chooses to do something incredibly stupid! Hopefully, Brett will be able to talk Billy out of that one. Either that or they find out they’re not old enough to get them yet.  ;-)

 

 

In 2 or 3 decades there’ll be millions of people regretting the ink that will have stretched 2 or 3 times larger than when they were first done! And they’ll be trying desperately to find ways to have them removed. And from my grave, I’ll be laughing loud enough to be heard by every single one those idiots!  ;-)

Link to comment

I knew Billy would end up doing something stupid.  He's just going to make things so much harder for himself.  Like the way he's going to destroy the fragile peace he has at school.

 

It's nice to see Brett and Dustin getting along, I think the two of them and Billy will bring some change into this town.

 

Now, for the next chapter.  The most obvious thing is that this is where Billy finds out that he's also diabetic.  I think that's what it's going to be about, but knowing Jeff, it could also be about the tattoo, and Billy getting the same one as George.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Had plenty of moments like Billy did with Sarah.  When she was talking about flying under the radar,  I was thinking “do you realize it’s to avoid people like you?”  I’m surprised Billy didn’t call her out on the suspension considering his hobby of verbal sparring but I guess that’s how he’s kept his grades up the past year. Props to him - I don’t think I would have been able to hold back. 

 

However, I do think she was at least partially genuine - senior year and everyone is trying to re-invent themselves to a degree, or at least re-examine themselves.  We see this with Brett and Dustin and especially Billy but itbecen includes the popular kids.  Maybe she’s trying to make amends somehow?  Still, to hell with her.  

 

If Joey tries some nonsense like this I’m all for Billy telling him to fuck off and seek forgiveness at how precious Church - even if he does try to be civil for Brett’s sake.  Years of bullying like that cannot and should not be forgiven.

 

#evilregal

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I think the tattoo as a move against his mother is brilliant.  Paula as a bible thumper would have to know the old testament restrictions against such things.  I hope they end up with matching tattoos too.  It was great to see the 3 of them getting along after all this time.  Thanks for the early chapter, and eagerly awaiting the next!!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, glennish said:

I think the tattoo as a move against his mother is brilliant.  Paula as a bible thumper would have to know the old testament restrictions against such things.  I hope they end up with matching tattoos too.  It was great to see the 3 of them getting along after all this time.  Thanks for the early chapter, and eagerly awaiting the next!!

I see them both getting a small heart-shaped tattoo with "B&B4Ever" written inside it. :)

 

We also never heard about Billy ever managing to apologise to Emily, did we?

Edited by Shadow086
  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Every time Billy seems to be making progress, he chooses to do something incredibly stupid! Hopefully, Brett will be able to talk Billy out of that one. Either that or they find out they’re not old enough to get them yet.  ;-)

 

 

In 2 or 3 decades there’ll be millions of people regretting the ink that will have stretched 2 or 3 times larger than when they were first done! And they’ll be trying desperately to find ways to have them removed. And from my grave, I’ll be laughing loud enough to be heard by every single one those idiots!  ;-)

Check out WAR 5.8, the conversation right before Dustin kicks the crap out of Brett for some context.  The ending of this chapter didn't come out of nowhere! ;)

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I wish Billy would cut his hair!  I know that seems stupid, but he’s totally let himself go.  If he would cut his hair, he would once again see the cute boy he is, and then the real Billy could have a chance to come through.  He’s using that hair as a weapon against his mom, and as a way to hide from the world.  Cutting it will be the first step towards coming out of his funk.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, wenmale64 said:

I really like the way Brett and Dustin have grown up as this book is developing.

I thought the same thing this morning after reading and thinking about the story so far.  Both Dustin and Brett have had shitty lives so far, but they are growing up and maturing.  Billy seems to be going backward in his development.  He seemed much more mature and outgoing earlier in the story when he was younger, now he seems stuck at some immature state, unable to let go of the things that have happened to him, almost afraid to grow up!!

Edited by glennish
  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 12/14/2017 at 3:21 AM, droughtquake said:

In 2 or 3 decades there’ll be millions of people regretting the ink that will have stretched 2 or 3 times larger than when they were first done! And they’ll be trying desperately to find ways to have them removed. And from my grave, I’ll be laughing loud enough to be heard by every single one those idiots!  ;-)

I got my first tattoo 23 years ago and since then have gotten a total of 10... not a single one is stretched nor am I trying desperately to have any of them removed... so I'm not an idiot you'll be laughing at ever hahaha

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 2:23 AM, Wesley8890 said:

YES!!!!!!!! Billy get a tat!!! Rebel!!! Viva la  revalucion!!! And Brett and Dustin being friendly weird but awesome. Brett has grown up more than I ever thought possible. 

Brett does have his moments!  Nice to see a bit of peace with Brett and Dustin.  But will it last?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:00 AM, Shadow086 said:

I knew Billy would end up doing something stupid.  He's just going to make things so much harder for himself.  Like the way he's going to destroy the fragile peace he has at school.

 

It's nice to see Brett and Dustin getting along, I think the two of them and Billy will bring some change into this town.

 

Now, for the next chapter.  The most obvious thing is that this is where Billy finds out that he's also diabetic.  I think that's what it's going to be about, but knowing Jeff, it could also be about the tattoo, and Billy getting the same one as George.

Why would you suspect that our Billy would ever do something stupid?  When has he ever done that?  :ph34r:

 

Brett and Dustin working together is a scary proposition!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:37 AM, Israfil said:

Had plenty of moments like Billy did with Sarah.  When she was talking about flying under the radar,  I was thinking “do you realize it’s to avoid people like you?”  I’m surprised Billy didn’t call her out on the suspension considering his hobby of verbal sparring but I guess that’s how he’s kept his grades up the past year. Props to him - I don’t think I would have been able to hold back. 

 

However, I do think she was at least partially genuine - senior year and everyone is trying to re-invent themselves to a degree, or at least re-examine themselves.  We see this with Brett and Dustin and especially Billy but itbecen includes the popular kids.  Maybe she’s trying to make amends somehow?  Still, to hell with her.  

 

If Joey tries some nonsense like this I’m all for Billy telling him to fuck off and seek forgiveness at how precious Church - even if he does try to be civil for Brett’s sake.  Years of bullying like that cannot and should not be forgiven.

 

#evilregal

I think one of the signs that Billy isn't feeling right is his lack of snarky comments.  But as for Sarah, it seems that one of the themes of Commencement so far has been leaving the childish things of the past behind and moving forward (commencing, so to speak).  Brett and Dustin have made peace, Paula's moved on from George, Joey seems to have been neutered by his father, and Sarah is trying to become a better person.  But the past has a way of not letting us move on quite so easily.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:04 AM, glennish said:

I think the tattoo as a move against his mother is brilliant.  Paula as a bible thumper would have to know the old testament restrictions against such things.  I hope they end up with matching tattoos too.  It was great to see the 3 of them getting along after all this time.  Thanks for the early chapter, and eagerly awaiting the next!!

Thanks dude!  Billy does know how to press his mother's buttons, but he's not as big of a rebel as he liked to think he is.  However, he does have a lot of his father in him, so anything is possible.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:24 AM, Shadow086 said:

We also never heard about Billy ever managing to apologise to Emily, did we?

No we didn't.  It's probably better that he didn't make contact.  He might have made things worse.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:54 AM, Okiegrad said:

I wish Billy would cut his hair!  I know that seems stupid, but he’s totally let himself go.  If he would cut his hair, he would once again see the cute boy he is, and then the real Billy could have a chance to come through.  He’s using that hair as a weapon against his mom, and as a way to hide from the world.  Cutting it will be the first step towards coming out of his funk.

So much right about these comments!  The funny thing is that Billy himself doesn't even like it anymore, but he's a stubborn boy.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 12:20 PM, wenmale64 said:

I really like the way Brett and Dustin have grown up as this book is developing.  Even with his issues, Brett is a saint for keeping with Billy. Most people would have thrown in the towel month ago.  Yea for Dustin. He has really gained the upper hand on his situation and depression. Even if he does not get Billy romanticly, he can still be a good friend and enjoy the good things that friendship can bring, same for him and Brett.  Now for the tat thing......  I have no problem with tatoos and some are really great works of art. One thing is that they are basicly a perminant thing and therefore should be thought about with a critical eye.  Getting a tatoo as a strike out at someone is a poor idea. If Billy does follow through with this I hope the immage is true to his heart.  Now with the long hair that bothers his mom.....  Maybe a rainbow hair color job would make the point better and worst case a haircut and a little time will remove the evidence of a poor choice.  Looking forward in any case :) .  Keep up the great work and looking forward to the next chapter.

Who knew the most patient person in the story was the kid with ADHD?  Dustin's story is so fun to write.  Thanks for the interesting thoughts on Billy's upcoming act of rebellion!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:48 PM, glennish said:

I thought the same thing this morning after reading and thinking about the story so far.  Both Dustin and Brett have had shitty lives so far, but they are growing up and maturing.  Billy seems to be going backward in his development.  He seemed much more mature and outgoing earlier in the story when he was younger, now he seems stuck at some immature state, unable to let go of the things that have happened to him, almost afraid to grow up!!

Thanks!  I like the imagery of Billy as someone who won't let things go.  That goes all the way back to chapter one of the whole story with him looking at the swings and slides at the park and wistfully remembering when they were his domain.  Billy is kind of like the kid who wants to ride the roller coaster, stands in line for an hour, gets on the ride and then panics and wants to get off before the ride starts. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:09 PM, spikey582 said:

Thanks Jeff, for directing us back to that conversation.  There was so much more than happened later in that chapter that completely overshadowed that casual conversation.  So which will it be, tattoos or nipple piercings?  I tend to think, unless somehow Billy is planning on having his shirt off in front of his mom all the time to throw it in her face, it seems like getting tattoos together would be more impactful.  

 

For some reason this chapter made me sad.  I mean, this story has a tendency to do that depending on the situation.  But to me, it just had so much "what might have been" about it.  I guess it still can be that way for the boys, but just imagine if they'd stopped acting like jackasses years ago and actually had been there for each other.  It would have been like this all the time.  

 

I second @Okiegrad 's sentiment that Billy seems to have really let himself go.  The long hair just does not seem like him at all.  I'm also now extremely concerned for his health as the frequent peeing, including wetting the bed.  That's extremely abnormal at his age.  I just really want to see Billy succeed, not as far as the valedictorian thing, that's meaningless in the long run, but I just want him to be able to finally enjoy his time with those that actually care about him and love him.  He really needs to start appreciating Brett and Dustin.  And he NEEDS to tell Brett about his Dad, before it causes too much more drama.  

Thanks Spikey!  Yes indeed, what might have been?  Looks like Brett is in that place as well.  Seems like Dustin is willing to forget the past as well.  But will the past be so willing to be forgotten?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:06 AM, JayT said:

I got my first tattoo 23 years ago and since then have gotten a total of 10... not a single one is stretched nor am I trying desperately to have any of them removed... so I'm not an idiot you'll be laughing at ever hahaha

You rebel!  lol  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 12:51 PM, jkwsquirrel said:

Joey seems to have been neutered by his father

Omg, you really had me :lol: over that one, Jeff! :rofl: 

 

Brett's speech to Billy made me sad. He loves Billy and just wants him back. The old Billy, not this empty shell of a boy.

 

I really enjoyed how much Brett and Dustin have matured! They really grew up so much that they can carry on a civilized conversation without wanting to kill each other! It's so nice to see them getting along. And when Brett asked Billy why he never told him that Dustin was so nice, I almost fell out of my chair! :lol: Billy was ALWAYS trying to convince Brett that Dustin was a good guy.

 

And when they were in the diner, I couldn't believe what a dick Billy was being! Brett was so right; Billy was being a royal d-bag to both of them. Isn't that the old Billy trying to get through? The old Billy would yell at anyone over stupid shit.

 

And the tats...I don't think Billy should just go in there and get any tat just to spite his mother. I think getting a tat should be something you really think about, not do it on impulse. I thought the title of the next chapter had to do with Billy being diagnosed with diabetes, maybe because something goes wrong with the tattoo, Idk...But now I'm just thinking it could be because of his dad's tattoo (which I don't remember, but someone else brought it up :lol:).

 

I'm going to have to go back and re-read the part of the book you mentioned, Jeff, because I don't remember it now.

Edited by Lisa
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

B).................First of all, OMG how did I miss this update?  Yeah, I can't figure Billy out sometimes either, he totally surprised me by being a dick in the diner, I was thinking 'where did that come from?'  Bed-wetting is either two things, emotional stress or under developed bladder control, since this seems to recent I opt for stress.  As noted Billy was always trying to convince Brett that Dustin was ok, then when it happens he starts an argument in the diner?  I think Billy needs to talk to somebody, and with his dad gone he is driving himself crazy with stress.

Great Chapter!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Lisa said:

Omg, you really had me :lol: over that one, Jeff! :rofl: 

 

Brett's speech to Billy made me sad. He loves Billy and just wants him back. The old Billy, not this empty shell of a boy.

 

I really enjoyed how much Brett and Dustin have matured! They really grew up so much that they can carry on a civilized conversation without wanting to kill each other! It's so nice to see them getting along. And when Brett asked Billy why he never told him that Dustin was so nice, I almost fell out of my chair! :lol: Billy was ALWAYS trying to convince Brett that Dustin was a good guy.

 

And when they were in the diner, I couldn't believe what a dick Billy was being! Brett was so right; Billy was being a royal d-bag to both of them. Isn't that the old Billy trying to get through? The old Billy would yell at anyone over stupid shit.

 

And the tats...I don't think Billy should just go in there and get any tat just to spite his mother. I think getting a tat should be something you really think about, not do it on impulse. I thought the title of the next chapter had to do with Billy being diagnosed with diabetes, maybe because something goes wrong with the tattoo, Idk...But now I'm just thinking it could be because of his dad's tattoo (which I don't remember, but someone else brought it up :lol:).

 

I'm going to have to go back and re-read the part of the book you mentioned, Jeff, because I don't remember it now.

You may be right, maybe Brett should be careful what he is wishing for!  But I think Brett is thinking more of the Billy we had at the end of Part 5 than the rampaging Billy of Parts 3-4.  Like Spikey said, this is what could have been a lot earlier if the boys had not allowed their egos to get in the way.  Brett and Dustin have more in common than they realize.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..