Jump to content
    joann414
  • Author
  • 12,444 Words
  • 3,686 Views
  • 29 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 - Spring - Nature's Wrath Entry

Lying Up A Storm - 1. Chapter 1

Thanks so much to all who helped with my story.  BillW, Zandra, Lisa, and Louis.  Your time and efforts are much appreciated and my story wouldn't be what it is without your hard work. smile.png

Lying Up a Storm

 

“I can’t, Mom. My plans have been made for over a week. Jim will get angry if I break our date. He said he’s got a surprise for me.” Petey turned to see Jim walk in the kitchen door, his mouth falling open, listening to the conversation. “No, Mom. I’ll call you when I’ve got a free weekend.” Petey shut his phone off, dreading what was coming.

“Do you know another Jim or was I the subject of that conversation?” Jim leaned against the cabinet with his arms folded. He watched Petey nervously run his hands up and down the front of his jeans, putting off answering his question.

Petey looked at the floor, his face flaming. “I told my mom about six months ago that we were dating. She kept trying to fix me up with guys, thinking since I was gay I’d have a hard time finding someone. So, I told her you were gay. Then, I let her assume that’s why I moved in with you when I took that job at the sawmill. I didn’t tell her that you offered to rent me a room because I couldn’t find an apartment. After you told me I could stay and I told her we were involved. I’m sorry. She’s just so overbearing sometimes. You’d think I was thirteen instead of thirty. I’ll tell her the truth. Do you want me to call her back now?”

Jim started to blast the man for lying, but then an idea sprang to mind. “Look, there’s no harm done. No one here thinks we’re dating. They think I felt sorry for you when you were new on the job and offered you a place to stay. You do look like a little twink, all hundred and forty pounds of you. The white blond hair and porcelain complexion doesn’t help. On top of that, women would kill for those big green eyes and long dark lashes. That’s why I call you Petey instead of Pete. You look young and twinkish.” Jim dodged the dishcloth Petey picked up and threw at his head.

“I’m sorry.”

“You’ve already said that. Now, you can wash dishes for me the rest of the week as payment.” Jim toed his boots off and headed to his bedroom, wanting a shower.

Petey laughed at his retreating back, knowing Jim would take full advantage of him and the house chores. “Oh well, that’s what you get for lying,” he mumbled to himself.

Half an hour later, Jim came from his bedroom in clean jeans and a sweatshirt. He was carrying his socks and boots with him. Pulling out a chair from the table, he sat down. “I’m going down to Backroads to meet the guys. Wanna come? You know, since we are supposed to have a date and all?” Jim put on his socks and boots as he spoke.

“Um, no? I’m sure your redneck buddies would love to see me tagging along. I’ll take a raincheck.”

Jim studied him for a few seconds before saying, “My buddies would have nothing to say if you came with me. Believe me, if I want to bring you, it’s my business. They’ll treat you just like you’re one of us.”

“Nah, its Friday. I think I’m going to watch a movie and order pizza. I’ll make sure to order enough for you to have leftovers. You’re always starving after drinking a lot of beer.”

Jim acted offended. “I don’t drink a lot of beer. A lot of beer to you is three because two knocks you on your ass. Oh well, I won’t be late. I heard on the radio we’re supposed to get thunderstorms later tonight. Wouldn’t want my Petey Bear to be scared. I know how bad weather makes you head for the basement. “Jim’s laugh echoed through the house. “Oh yeah, there’s one more thing.” He reached out and pulled Petey to him, pecking him on the lips. “See you in a bit, honey. Had to kiss my new boyfriend bye.”

Petey was stunned at the touch of Jim’s lips. The big brawny bear of a man he’d spent the last eighteen months in the same house with had just kissed him. “Well, fuck me running.” Petey laughed at his own omission, thinking of the pun.

***

 

Petey lay on the couch watching his third movie when he heard the first clap of thunder. He picked up his cellphone, the glowing face showing it to be after midnight. Getting up off the couch, he went to shut the two front windows he’d opened earlier to let fresh air in the house. Lights pulled up in the driveway as he shut the last window. Hearing the first heavy drops of rain, he went to open the door for Jim, knowing he never had an umbrella.

“Damn, time got away from me. We started playing pool. I was up over a hundred when the weather came on. They spotted a tornado about thirty miles east of here, and it’s moving our way. Grab a couple of flashlights and blankets and we’ll head to the basement. I’ll secure the doors and windows. You go on.” Jim went toward the back of the house.

Petey went to the utility room and found two flashlights and grabbed a couple of bottles of water. Going to the hall closet, he grabbed two blankets and a couple of pillows, heading toward the basement door. He lay down his stuff to open the door, and then picking it back up, carefully made his way down the steep steps. At the bottom, he reached for the string and turned the single light on. He kept the basement as clean as the rest of the house, but didn’t really want to spend the night down here on a concrete floor, surrounded by wine and cardboard boxes. Finding a place to sit down against the wall, he put one of the blankets on the floor, settling on top of it to wait for Jim. He wasn’t sitting for more than a few moments before the electricity went off. Fumbling for one of the flashlights, he shined it toward the opening so Jim could see to get down the stairs.

Jim saw the stream of light coming from the basement door, and walked toward it, trying not to be alarmed. The wind outside was blowing harder than he’d ever seen before and he could hear the roar of the storm. Pulling the basement door shut behind him, he slowly made his way down the steps and toward Petey whose face was even whiter in the beam of the flashlight. Knowing the other man was scared of bad weather, Jim sat down as close as he could to him, using the warmth of his body to reassure him. “Wind is getting up pretty good. I think we’re in for a rough few hours. You might as well turn that light out and save the batteries.”

Petey switched the light off and laid it close by. He then put the pillow behind his and Jim’s back hoping it would make them more comfortable. Settling against the soft down, he let out a long sigh. Never in his wildest dreams did he think he’d be stuck in the dark all night with the subject of his fantasies of the last several months. Jim would run screaming if he knew the thoughts Petey had conjured up about the big man. “Did you know I was gay when you asked me to move in with you?”

“Where the hell did that come from? What difference does it make? You’ve never broached the subject before, why now? Is it because of the lie you told your mother?”

Petey turned toward Jim in the dark. “Well, Mom always told me lying would get me in trouble. I lied to her and look at us. We’re in the basement because there’s a tornado coming. If I hadn’t lied, maybe we’d be upstairs, safe in our beds.”

Jim snorted. “What kind of horseshit is that? Why would a mom even tell a kid something like that?”

“When I was in high school, I used to come home with bruises on my stomach and back, and I’d tell her I fell down the steps or something. She knew I was lying and was being bullied. One day, she confronted me and dared me to lie to her, saying no good would come from telling lies. So, I told her what was going on. We moved a month later. But, you can’t run all your life.

When I got offered the job at the mill as office manager, I was scared to take it. It was far enough from her that I could live my own life, but I didn’t know how I would fit in at a mill that employed a bunch of rednecks.” Petey stopped, wondering what Jim was thinking.

“We’re not as bad as you think. You’d be surprised if you got to know more of the plant workers better. Yeah, they made fun of you at first, but that didn’t last long…”

“Because you stopped it. I heard it, Jim. The day in the break room when two of the sawyers were going to vandalize my truck for fun and you threatened them with their life. I was coming to check on someone’s time card when I overheard the conversation. When I got back to my office, I almost resigned, not wanting you to feel like you had to defend me because I was gay. It wasn’t fair to you.”

“No, it wasn’t fair to you. You’ve as much right to be treated equally in a workplace as they do. Never doubt that. If you do, you’ll answer to me.” Jim punched Petey lightly in the ribs with his elbow.

A loud roar from above stopped their conversation, causing the men to move closer together. Jim put his arm around Petey’s shoulders, pulling him as close as possible without hurting him. “It’s ok. We’re safe.” Jim felt Petey bury into him, Petey’s face against his chest.

Petey pulled his head back after the noise quieted. “Aren’t you going to ask me why I moved from the city to Podunk country?”

“Nope, I know. You wanted to prove to your mom you could take care of yourself and you heard brawny rednecks were hot.”

Petey went to lightly pop Jim in the back of the head with his open palm, but hit him in the mouth instead. “Oh, shit! I’m sorry. I was aiming for the back of that big head of yours.”

“You know one of the good things about the dark, Petey? I can tell by the tone of someone’s voice if they are telling the truth, and you didn’t mean one word of that apology.” Jim aimed two fingers into Petey’s ribcage and they hit his mark. The giggle that erupted told him so. Chuckling himself, he was glad the smaller man had forgotten where they were for the moment.

“You know Ann and Glenda think you are hot as hell, don’t you. When you come into the main office, I’m thankful they both keep peppermint in their mouth all day, because with two women breathing that hard right behind me, I can smell as well as feel their breath. I’m sure their panties are a little damp too.” Petey blushed in the dark, not believing he’d been so brave with his remarks.

Jim couldn’t believe what he just heard. “Did you say their panties were probably damp? Petey! Your mother would be shocked at her little man. I might just have to tell her that my boyfriend’s mind slides off in the gutter.”

“You wouldn’t dare. She’d wonder why we’d be discussing females anyway. So, no tattling on me, Jimbo.”

“Jimbo! No way. I hate that name. Call me anything but Jimbo. Call me hun, Big Boy, sexy, but don’t call me that! My former best friend used to call me that. If you don’t want to be a former friend, then find another nickname.” Jim’s voice trailed off in the dark, and his breathing had elevated enough that it could be felt by Petey who was still flush against his side.

“You’re right. You can tell a lot about a person’s voice in the dark. I’ll never call you that name again…Big Boy.” Petey giggled a little trying to ease the tenseness that seemed to have developed between them. “Can I call you that in front of my mom? Big Boy can mean lots of things. Her mind will be in the gutter then.”

“No, don’t you dare! Your mother likes me, and I want it to stay that way. If she thinks I took advantage of you that might change. But, I can make her think that my sexual knowledge brought you to your knees.”

Petey turned toward Jim in the dark, trying to make out the expression on his face. “No, she wouldn’t believe that. She always said someone would have to hit me over the head with their cock for me to know that they wanted me. I was terribly shy throughout school and even in my early twenties. My first date with a guy was on my twenty-first birthday. It was a blind date. We ended up having dinner and then we went bowling. Turns out the guy was as shy as I was even though he was as big as you are. When he kissed me goodnight, he had me by the shoulders, and my feet weren’t touching the porch. When he saw what he was doing, he said a hurried goodnight and I never heard from him again. Guess he didn’t like little guys and I kinda like to have my feet planted on the floor in case of a quick getaway.”

“Now, that’s funny. Imagining that picture in my mind is hilarious. So, after your first kiss being in mid-air, you decided to hang up the dating scene and remain a virgin?” Muffling his laughter, Jim waited for Petey’s reply, not really expecting the young man to say much.

“Nope, I didn’t say I was a virgin. I said that was my first date. When I was seventeen, I seduced the quarterback of the football team. I had to tutor him in math our senior year to make sure he kept his grades up where he could play football. After a few sessions, I knew he wasn’t the guy everyone thought he was. We’d be studying and I’d catch him with his face propped up on his fist just staring at me as I read or explained something to him. My parents left us alone one night so we studied on the couch downstairs. After we finished studying, I asked if he wanted to stay and watch a movie to which he agreed. As expected, about half an hour into the movie, he asked me if I was gay. When I said yes, he leaned over and kissed me, and I mean kissed my socks off! I came up gasping for breath to see him halfway to the door, turning to me with tears running down his face murmuring, “I’m sorry. Please don’t tell anyone.” So, he never studied with me again. But three weeks later, the day of his final ballgame, he asked if he could take me out to eat as payment for helping him. I agreed.

He picked me up that Saturday afternoon and we went straight to a motel about fifty miles away. When we got there, he already had a basket of food waiting, champagne, and he even had a couple of candles lit. I would’ve been terrified if not for such a romantic setting. Three hours later, we were scarfing down the basket of food and basking in the afterglow of both of our first sexual encounters. I was lucky. We took turns and it was like we were learning from each other. So no, I’m not a virgin and you’re the first person I’ve ever shared my story with,” Petey finished, waiting for Jim’s crude remarks about two boys losing their virginity.

“That’s a beautiful story. Many should be so lucky. I’ll never tell your story. What was said here tonight stays here. Now try to sleep. It looks like the storm has set in.” Jim pulled the blanket up around the two of them, straightening the other one beneath them to shield them from the cold concrete.

Petey slid down a little trying to get comfortable. “You know? He calls me every Christmas and I’ve met his partner a couple of times. Even after his parents disowned him, he didn’t falter. He went to work in a sporting goods store and five years later, he had one of his own. His name is Morris and he even played semi-pro for a while. I’m proud of him. He’s a great friend although he says I gave him the strength to be who he really is; he’s always been that person. Others just know it now.” Petey’s voice drifted off.

Jim pulled the blanket tighter around the two of them, thinking of Petey’s confession and how well adjusted he seemed although many thought he was just a “little fairy”. They would have a rude awakening. Petey was strong and above average as far as intelligence. He’d be a force to be reckoned with, no matter how big the man. Hearing the other man’s breathing even out, he slid down, moving Petey’s head over onto his chest, drifting off himself, a contented smirk on his face.

***

“Wake up, Big Boy. The storm’s gone and the sun is out. I went upstairs and nothing is broken, but there’s still no electricity.” Petey leaned over Jim’s prostrate form, shaking his shoulder.

Jim woke to look into the most beautiful green eyes he’d ever seen, the smell of toothpaste coming from the happy childish smile. “What time is it? Why didn’t you wake me?”

“It’s just after eight. We probably didn’t go to sleep until the wee hours of the morning. No worries, we have a couple of trees down. Mr. La Plue lost two windows out of his garage. He’s like a bear with a sore head walking around in his yard. Oh yeah. Some child is going to be looking for his pitch back. It blew into our front yard. I’m sure it’s one of the kids down the street. I’ve seen those boys in baseball uniforms.”

Jim rubbed his slightly aching head, moving his shoulders trying to get the stiffness out of them from sleeping on the concrete. “Whoa, there. Why are you so chirpy? We still have to clean up the yard and there’s no power. I hate cold showers.”

“Quit grumbling. Get up and brush your teeth. I made coffee. That’s the good thing about having a gas stove. If you’re nice, I’ll fix you some toast and bacon.” Petey jerked the blanket off the top of Jim and started folding it. Glancing down, he couldn’t resist one last jibe. “The storm didn’t scare your woody. He’s up, stalwart as ever.” Snickering, he hurried up the stairs, glancing back in time to dodge the pillow Jim flung at him.

“Boy, I need food.” Jim folded the other blanket and followed slowly behind him, feeling like someone had beaten him while he was asleep. It was hell getting old.

Petey had all the curtains open, sunlight coming through, making the storm seem far away. He took bacon and butter out of the refrigerator after starting the coffee. “I put some clean jeans out for you. You never check your closet, and I knew you couldn’t warm the ones you have that are in the dryer.” He smiled, thinking of how you much you learned about a person by living in the same house with them. If he didn’t get the clothes in the dryer folded or hung on hangers, Jim would have lived out of the dryer. It was a throwback from before he moved in and Petey knew it.

Wetting a rag with cold water from the bathroom faucet, Jim washed his face and upper torso, shivering from the coolness of the rag. Dropping his boxers, he wet the rag again, dragging it around his balls, skinning his cock back to give it a wakeup call, only to have it shrivel from the cold touch. “Damn, I hope they get the power on today,” he mumbled.

“Did you say something to me?” Petey stood in the doorway of the bathroom, clean towels in his arms. “Sorry, I was just bringing these. I didn’t think you’d be bathing in cold water.” Glancing down between Jim’s legs, he chuckled. “Looks like somebody doesn’t like the cold water. He went from woody to wimpy.”

Jim threw the wet rag at him and bellowed, “Get your wimpy ass out of here and fix my breakfast. You’ve seen my hot body before.”

Feeling his face get hot, Petey hurried to the kitchen to finish breakfast.

Ten minutes later, they sat across from each other eating and drinking coffee. Both men ate in silence, not feeling the need to talk. After they’d both eaten about half their meal, Petey piped up.

“If you knew I was gay from the get go, why did you offer me a place to live?”

“Are we talking about this again? Gay had nothing to do with it. Shit, I’m not homophobic. Ok? My feelings are different from a lot of people.” Jim got up to get more coffee, hoping the other man would change the course of their conversation.

“What’re your feelings on the matter? Do you have gay friends or what? I know you have a few homophobic friends.”

"They’re not really homophobic, Petey. It’s just how they’ve been raised. Who people choose to screw or love is the least of their worries. Believe me. Unless you come on to one of them, you’ll fit right in. Look at Leo. He’s gay and everyone knows it.”

“Yeah, but he’s over six-foot tall and tips the scale at over two hundred pounds. I wouldn’t screw with him either. I mean…”

Jim chuckled as Petey tripped himself up with his own words. Pushing his chair back he decided to put the other man out of his misery. If he didn’t, Petey wasn’t going to let it rest. He was like a dog with a bone, and refused to let go. “I’m bisexual, Petey. I’ve known since I was a teen and I’ve never been ashamed of who I am. My mom left my dad and me because of it. I came home on my sixteenth birthday to my favorite cake and a goodbye note. Dad made sure I didn’t suffer from it. He offered counseling, camp, or anything else he thought would help me deal with my mom leaving. As far as my sexuality, we never discussed it any more than we discussed his. We were who we were, end of story. You could say our lives meshed then.

My mom had always taken care of me, provided for me, making sure I had money when I needed it, a ride to school, whatever. After she left, dad took the time to do those things. He was a supervisor at the mill all his life. I started working in the summers with him, and after fifteen years, I’m still there, no worse for wear. When dad died several years ago, he left me the house and his savings. I’m happy right where I am, so I stayed.” Jim picked at his napkin, wondering how Petey would react to his story.

“Wow, you’re lucky. Most fathers are the ones that throw their sons out, and the moms just let it happen. I bet the two of you were real close. My dad never wanted me, but my mom made up for it. She still tries to although I’m grown. I have to let her think she does or she feels useless. Her parents left her well off and other than social shit, I’m all she’s got so I just get spoiled more everyday she lives. Sometimes I feel pathetic, but sometimes I feel like the luckiest person in the world to be loved like my mom loves me.” Petey choked back the tears, knowing how true his statement was.

“Then, we’re both lucky and have no reason to be unhappy, so eat up. We need to go and check to see what damage the storm did at the mill, if any. Hopefully, we won’t find much and be able to start up on schedule Monday morning. Get out of those sweats and put on your jeans and boots. You can help if needed.” Jim got up to go get his own boots on, glad the conversation was over, but knowing they both had a lot to think about. He didn’t have a clue if Petey knew of his feelings or even if Petey felt anything for him. There were times he thought so, but then he remembered the age difference and felt it was more like hero worship. Seven years age difference sometimes seemed like seventeen. Time would tell. Jim hollered and told Petey he’d meet him in the truck before heading out the front door. When Petey finally got in the passenger seat, he headed toward the mill.

“Why do I need to go? I could be cleaning the yard?” Petey’s question was genuine.

“The mill is your livelihood just like mine. Aren’t you curious if it’s still there or not?”

“What? You think it sustained a lot of damage?”

“Think about it. We’ve got lumber that’s not under sheds. If the tornado touched down there, it could be a mess. The winds were high enough to blow off some of the tin on the sheds too.” Jim shifted the truck, turning onto the road leading to the mill.

Petey rose up in the seat so he could assess the damage better. Although there were a few boards scattered here and there, the mill had been lucky.

Jim pulled up to the main office where he saw the owner’s car parked. Both men got out of the truck and went in.

“Hi Jim, Petey. Glad you came by. I just put a call into Joe Hartley. He’s going to replace the tin on the sheds this afternoon. The clean-up crew is on their way in to get up the lumber. If you don’t mind staying around and making sure they show up, it’d be a help. We were hit pretty hard at the house and Miriam is about to have a duck trying to get the windows replaced today, so I’ve got to try to find someone to do that.”

Jim held his hand up to stop the other man from saying anything else. “We’ll stay until everything is set, and I’ll check back late this afternoon to make sure it’s all done. Go take care of you and yours.”

The two men watched their boss drive away before heading back to the truck.

“We’ll drive around by the lumber sheds. Joe may already be there.” Jim saw the contractor’s truck and three or four men were getting out of a bigger truck with a flatbed behind it that held sheets of tin and aluminum siding. He waved at the group of men as he passed by, heading to his own office.

“If you need to stay, I’ll go back home and start cleaning up and you can call when you finish up here.” Petey was trying to be helpful.

“No need. If the clean-up crew are punched in, I’ll know they are somewhere on the yard. We’ll find them, and tell them we’ll check back with them later to make sure they stay and do their job.” Jim hopped out of his truck and walked over to the side of his office that housed the time clock. Seeing several cards moved from one side to the other, he knew the crew was there.

He walked back to the truck and got in, heading toward the outside area where they set lumber. He saw the men patiently stacking lumber and one of them on a lift putting it back where it belonged. Thankfully, they had a good crew at the mill.

Jim pulled up beside two of the men. “Hi, Jess and Sam. Thanks for coming out. I’ll be back later to check on ya’ll. The break room is open if you need anything. Tell the other guys thanks too. It means a lot.”

Jim drove back to the highway and headed home, his mind on the man beside him. “We’ll get up as many limbs as we can, but if there’s any we can’t handle, I’ll get a couple of the guys at the mill to come cut them. They’ll use them for firewood and I’ll pay them for the clean-up. I know some that want to earn the extra money.”

Petey’s mind was in overdrive and he heard nothing Jim said. All he could think about was getting back home and hopefully continuing their earlier conversation. There was a lot he still wanted to know about Jim. “Who’ll remove the big limb from the backyard?”

“Didn’t you hear anything I just said? Where the hell was your mind?” Jim spoke harsher than he meant to, worried that things would change between the two of them.

“Sorry, my mind wandered for a few seconds. I’ll rake the front and try to find out who the pitch back belongs to while you see to the other. I’m not much use for anything else.” Petey was quiet the remainder of the five miles to their house.

Jim had no idea what to say. He thought they had a great relationship even before this morning, but something had changed and he didn’t like it. Not one bit. “That’s fine.” Jim got out of the truck, turning to make sure Petey got out also. He knew he’d hurt the other man’s feelings with his harsh tone. Living together had taught him a lot too. Petey wore his feelings on his sleeve.

***

Around four o’clock that afternoon, Jim looked up to see Petey hauling small limbs in a wheelbarrow and dumping them in a pile at the corner of the backyard where they burned their leaves. “I’m fixing to go check on things at the mill. Shouldn’t be gone over an hour. If you like, I’ll grab us a burger on the way back.”

“That’s fine.” The other man never looked up from what he was doing.

Jim shrugged. He wiped sweat with his sleeve and headed to his truck.

When he got to the mill, everything was done. He locked the break room and got back in his truck, heading to the small diner on the way home.

Dusting himself off, he got out and went inside. Penny, the evening waitress, came over to take his order. After ordering two hamburger plates and a beer with a cold mug, he texted Petey on the phone telling him he had just ordered and would be home in about half an hour. He’d just pocketed his phone when it off.

No hurry. I just finished outside and am going to grab a shower. Ttyl

Feeling out of sorts after reading the message, Jim hurriedly drank his beer, waiting impatiently for his order so he could leave. Less than fifteen minutes later, his waitress brought his food; he paid out, and left.

 

The power came on minutes after Jim left. Petey decided to go in and get a hot shower. He’d thought about the wine in the basement while he was burning brush and decided to try a bottle. He went downstairs, got a couple of bottles and chilled them while he showered. After he dried off, he wrapped the towel around his middle and went to pour himself a glass. Gulping down the first glass of wine, he poured another and went to get dressed.

He pulled on a pair of old cargo pants and a long sleeved tee shirt that was just as old, sliding his feet into a pair of fleece-lined crocs. The air outside had almost reached freezing before he came back inside. Tossing back the last of his wine, he went to the refrigerator for a refill. Feeling a little tipsy, he fell into a fit of giggles, thinking about what he’d done in the shower. If Jim knew he’d jerked off thinking of him all sweaty in the yard, he’d probably kick him out of the house. Still giggling, he shut the refrigerator to see Jim standing in the door of the kitchen, staring at him.

“I’m glad you’re having a good time. You’re weird text worried me. When you told me not to hurry and that you were getting in the shower, I thought something was wrong. I come home and you’re drunk!”

“Tipsy, thank you. By the way,” hiccup, “why haven’t we drunk any of the wine before? It’s absolutaly delifus.” Petey hiccupped again, swaying on his feet.

Jim reached around him and opened the refrigerator to see a bottle of wine almost empty and another full one chilling beside it. “You were going to have quite a party weren’t you? What made you think you could drink a bottle of wine when you get high off two beers? Also, the reason I don’t open wine is I could count on my hands the times I’ve actually liked the wine I was served. Now, come sit down and eat before you fall down.”

Petey staggered to the table, managed to get his chair out, and promptly sat his ass flat to the floor when he missed it. “Oopsie daisies. I miffed my feat.”

“Ok, that’s enough. You’re taking a nap.” Jim reached his hands beneath Petey and carried him like a baby from the kitchen to his own room since it was closer than Petey’s room which was in the back of the house. None too gently, he dropped the hundred and forty pounds of drunken cuteness into his bed and pulled an afghan over him that was folded at the foot of the bed. Before he could rise up, Petey reached out and pulled his head down, putting his wet mouth to his ear.

“I wuvs you this much.” Petey spread his arms across the bed on each side of him and promptly began to snore.

Turning out the light, Jim left the door open in case he needed something when he woke.

After eating, Jim went to the desk in the den and began writing checks for their monthly bills. When he finished, he checked his email and surfed the web a little while, landing at his favorite site for gay porn. Lost in the hotness on his monitor, he didn’t know that he’d been at it for hours. When he heard the news come on television, he shut his computer down and went to get a beer before settling into his favorite recliner and watching the late news.

Eleven o’ clock found Jim dozing in his recliner, waking when he heard ominous sounds coming from his bathroom. Sighing loudly, he went toward the sound of vomiting, trying not to feel sorry for Petey, but he did anyway. He opened the linen closet and got a hand towel. Walking into the bathroom, he went to the sink and wet it with cold water. Waiting for Petey’s dry heaves to subside, he began wiping his forehead with the cool rag, and then washed his face the best he could. It was hard since Petey was like a rag doll with its head hanging over the toilet. “Ready to get up?”

“I’m gonna die. Just let me die here. Don’t tell mom though. Call her after the coroner comes to get me.” Petey then lay down on the cool ceramic floor.

Jim rinsed the towel out and left it in the sink. He took the glass by the sink and filled it up with water and walked back over. “Raise your head up and rinse your mouth out. It’ll make you feel better.”

Petey took the hand Jim extended to him and sat up, reaching for the glass with his other hand. He swished water in his mouth several times and spit it into the toilet, flushing it afterward. “I’m so embarrassed. Did I do or say anything stupid?”

“Well, other than doing a striptease in front of me while you sang “Jimmy Crack Corn”, no. That was a little funny too though.”

Eyes wide open now, Petey screeched, “I did what?” Seeing Jim’s amused face, he said, “You’re a liar. I still have my clothes on.” He then pushed himself up from the floor, reaching for the vanity to steady himself. “Did you eat my burger?”

“No, I didn’t eat your burger. Are you sure that you’re up to eating? How about a few crackers and some soda?”

“I’m too hungry for just crackers.”

Jim looked at Petey’s face and saw that some of the color had returned to his cheeks and decided the other man may be able to eat the burger. “Ok, I’ll warm it for you while you brush your teeth. Don’t think you’ll want the cold soggy fries though.”

Petey turned to the sink and reached for his toothbrush, watching Jim’s departing backside in the mirror. “Damn, he’s hot even when I feel sick.” He almost jumped out of his skin when Jim stuck his head back around the door.

“I heard that. I knew you thought I was hot.” Laughing loudly, he went to warm Petey’s food, feeling lighthearted for the first time since this afternoon.

When Petey rounded the door of the kitchen, Jim was putting his plate on the table. It had a hamburger, chips, and a huge pickle on the side. “I think I can do without the pickle.” He picked it up and laid it beside his plate, not wanting the juice to make his chips soft.

“Sometimes you remind me of a kid. Why couldn’t you just leave it on your plate?”

“The juice will make my chips soggy,” Petey replied with a mouthful of burger.

Jim laughed and went back to the den, satisfied that the other man was ok. He locked the front door, intending to go to bed when he heard Petey saying something.

“What did you say?”

Petey looked at him and asked, “Why did you ditch your best friend for calling you Jimbo?”

Knowing it was useless to avoid the subject, Jim plopped down into one of the kitchen chairs across from Petey. “I didn’t ditch him for calling me Jimbo; I ditched him for slugging me and telling his girlfriend that I came onto him when she caught us in a situation.”

“Dare I ask what kind of situation?” Petey leaned back in his chair, finished with his meal. “You don’t have to tell me. I shouldn’t have asked.”

Looking across the table at the other man, Jim told his story, one that only he and his father knew.

“Dave and I’d been friends since third grade. So, of course when we hit puberty, not only were we best friends, but jerk-off buddies. Eventually, we began to jerk each other off. This went on until we were sixteen. We had a week-long field trip our junior year and the two of us roomed together. The second night we were there, Dave kissed me. I was thrilled, head over heels in lust, and convinced I finally had a boyfriend. Him having a girlfriend was the farthest thing from my mind. We fooled around a little while, jerked each other while kissing and then he inserted his finger in my ass. I rode it like there was no tomorrow. He came just watching me. Needless to say, an hour later, he had his cock inside of me. The next few nights I thought were the best nights of my life. But, we got home that weekend and everything crumbled at my feet.”

Jim cleared his throat, memories hurting him more than he thought they could.

“My dad was at work that Saturday night and Dave’s girlfriend had a bridesmaid party to attend. We were in my room on my bed making out with our clothes on. I was on top of him, rutting against him, both of us reaching for more. When I heard my door open, the next thing I knew, I was on my back on the floor, blood pouring from my nose and Dave screaming, “You fucking faggot. I told you to get off of me and you wouldn’t listen.” I watched as he put on an act that would’ve won him an Academy award. Fake tears stained his face as he told me how I ruined our friendship by betraying it and being a faggot. Then he grabbed his girlfriend by the hand and dragged her out of my house, still calling me a fag.”

“My dad came home later that night and took me to the hospital. My jaw was fractured and I’d broken my tailbone when I hit the floor. After I told him what happened, we never spoke of it again. I felt no need to try to get people to listen to the truth anyway. It would’ve only hurt Dave’s girlfriend.” Jim ran his hand over his face, glad to be done with the story, feeling a cleansing inside he hadn’t expected.

Petey studied Jim, not surprised that he’d chose not to hurt the girl, but he had one more question. “What happened to Dave? Did he marry the girl?”

“Suicide. A year after we graduated, he shot himself after being caught trying to pick up an undercover cop posing as a male prostitute.”

“Wow, lying does bring bad things. I’m going back to bed. Thanks for taking care of me. See you in the morning.” Petey dropped his paper plate into the garbage. Turning, he walked over to the other man, kissing him sweetly on top of the head.

***

Cold air woke Jim. Opening his eyes, he saw Petey standing at an open window at the foot of his bed.

“What are you doing now? If you tell me some shit about airing out the house, it’s too damn cold. I told you that Friday evening when you started opening windows.”

Petey turned to look at him. “I could smell a little bit of stench from my episode last night, so I cleaned the bathroom and opened the window. I’ll shut it back later. Sorry that I woke you. I just wanted to make sure that I hadn’t left the bathroom in a mess.”

Jim threw his feet over the side of the bed uncaring of his boxers gaping, allowing his morning woody to spring free.

Petey glance down, seeing Jim’s erection and felt his heart rate increase, the blood flowing to his own cock causing a rise in his sweats. “Um, I’ll get breakfast.”

Jim had seen Petey glance at his hard on, causing his own body to respond so as Petey made to leave the room, Jim reached out an arm and stopped him. “Do you…” He couldn’t finish the sentence, scared of offending Petey with the offer of sex.

Looking at the open lust in Jim’s eyes, Petey climbed onto his lap, their cocks rubbing against each other. Feeling Jim encircle him in his arms, he was underneath the larger man in a matter of seconds, his mouth being ravished hungrily. Trying to keep pace with Jim, Petey hung on to the large man’s shoulders giving as good as he got.

After the need for air made Jim slow down, he nuzzled his nose underneath the soft creamy jaw beneath him, breathing in a scent that haunted him at night. The light fragrance of the lemon soap Petey used made his body tighten more than it already was if that were even possible. Taking a deep breath, he leaned in and nibbled the slender neck, leaving small red marks where he touched.

Getting his body under control, he realized the man beneath him was panting, rutting against him, begging for release. Jim slid his hand down, cupping his warm, tight balls, lightly massaging the hard cock with the palm of his hand.

“Jim, I’m not going to last long, but please don’t stop.” Petey was straining against Jim’s hand by this time.

Looking down into the green pools below him, dilated with lust, Jim’s own body neared completion. He reached for his own cock with his other hand, feeling it being slapped away by Petey’s smaller hand. The touch of the other man’s hand on him was his undoing. When he started going over the edge, he felt Petey’s release on his hand and up his arm.

Jim rolled off of Petey when they’d stilled, both of them breathing heavily. Turning his head to look at Petey, he watched as the other man brought his hand to his mouth tasting the cum there. “Keep doing that, and I’ll never let you out of this bed.” He then did the same, tasting Petey’s sweet nectar on his own hand.

“Well, now for a shower. I’ll get to breakfast in a few. By the way, I told you fresh air was good for you.” With that last remark, Petey all but skipped from the room and to his bathroom to clean up.

After both men showered and dressed, they fixed breakfast together. Lingering over coffee after their meal, Petey asked timidly, “Did you do that just for me, or did you want it too?”

“You and your crazy insecurities about me have got to stop. You’ve lived with me over a year and you know I do nothing that I don’t want to. Well…except mop the floors when you make me. Shit, I hate mopping damn floors. But, in answer to your question, I did it for you and for me. Now, are you happy?”

“I can’t believe you just answered such a serious question, grumbling about mopping floors throughout the conversation. You better be glad I live with you. Nobody else could tolerate all your grumbling.” Hopping to his feet, Petey began to wash dishes and was surprised when out of the corner of his eye, he saw Jim picking condiments up from the table and wiping the table off. Maybe they should have casual sex more often. Petey giggled at his thought causing Jim to look at him suspiciously.

“What’s so damn funny? Washing dishes is not amusing, I know. That’s why I let you do them.”

“Let me do them? I do them so they don’t pile up for a week. You don’t wash them until you can’t find any more clean ones. Anyway, I was thinking that if sex gets you to help out in the kitchen, I might consider a little casual sex more often.” Petey was surprised when Jim slammed the jelly back down on the table and stomped out of the kitchen.

“Don’t do me any favors, Petey. I’m going to get a Sunday paper.” Jim slammed the front door shut, the windows next to it rattling ominously.

Sunday afternoon seemed three days long. Jim wouldn’t speak to him and Petey was miserable, wondering what he’d said or done. After he cooked the two of them a late lunch of steak and salad, he went for a walk, going over the events of the morning. Coming up with nothing that he thought should’ve gotten the kind of reaction Jim displayed, he headed back to the house, going straight to his room.

Jim lay on the couch, pretending to be immersed in a movie, hating himself for acting like a lovesick teen. Just because Petey fooled around with him and they got their rocks off together didn’t make them couple of the year. Getting to his feet, he went and knocked on Petey’s door, only entering when he heard a soft, “come in”.

“Don’t pay attention to me. I get bent out of shape over stupid things. Sorry about this morning.”

Petey looked over the magazine he was reading, and then laid it on his lap. “I don’t understand what I did. You just seemed to get angry all of a sudden.”

“That’s just my point. If you don’t understand, then there was no reason for my anger. Maybe I just took too much for granted.” Jim walked over and patted the younger man on the shoulder. “It’ll all work out.”

***

The week started out busy. By Wednesday, Jim felt like he’d put in his full forty hours. Around three o’clock that afternoon, his radio went off. It was Glenda asking him to come to the main office. Hopping in his truck, he drove across the plant, parking in an empty spot out front.

Jim walked through the door and glanced over at Glenda who was busy on her computer. “What’s going on? Who needs to see me?”

“Mr. Parks. He said to go right in.”

If the owner called for your presence in the middle of the work day, it was a matter of importance. Jim walked to the back of the building and knocked on the big door that Mr. Parks worked behind. “You needed to see me, sir?”

“Sit down, Jim. I’ll be right with you.” Mr. Parks told the person on the other end of the phone he’d call them back and hung up, turning his chair to face Jim across the desk.

”Petey got an emergency call about a half an hour ago. Seems his mom has had a heart attack. I called and made plane reservations while he went to get his things together. Then I went out in the plant to look for you, but they said you were up at the kilns.”

“Is Petey ok? Was he going straight to the airport or what?”

Mr. Parks came around the desk, leaning against the front of it and looked Jim straight in the eye. “I’ve known you since you were a kid. Your dad brought you up to be a hardworking, honest young man. He’d be proud to know that you found someone to love and who loves you back.” Clearing his throat, he continued. “Now, I think Petey is going to need someone since his mom is his only close family. You have a ticket waiting at the airport too. Now go. Call me with an update. I’ll make sure someone covers for you here. Your flight leaves in one hour.”

Stunned by his boss’s words, Jim could only nod and got up to go out the door.

“One more thing, Jim. When you and Petey are there, waiting for news of his mom, make sure he knows you’re there for him and why.”

“Yes, sir. I don’t know what to say. But, thanks.” Jim hurried out the door to his truck, getting home in half the time he normally did.

When Jim drove up the driveway he noticed Petey had already left for the airport. He ran through the shower, not bothering to dry his hair afterwards. He grabbed a suitcase and opened his closet revealing all his clothes nicely hung up, shirts on one side and jeans on the other, making it take less than ten minutes to pack. Slipping on a pair of jeans and a flannel shirt, he then pulled on socks and slipped his feet into a pair of ropers, picking up his suitcase as he headed out the front door.

The ten minute drive to the airport seemed to take forever. When he got inside, there was a man dressed in a blue uniform that ran toward him, asking if he was Jim Thornhill. When Jim nodded, the man motioned for him to follow, and walked swiftly through the airport after taking Jim’s luggage to the check-in point. When they got to a short line of people already boarding, he said something to the flight attendant standing at the entrance. She held up a ticket in her hand, motioning Jim on board. He would’ve felt important if he hadn’t been so worried about Petey.

Five minutes later, Jim was onboard and surprisingly being lead to first class. He could see Petey’s blond hair barely peeking over the back of a chair in the comfortable area. Walking to stand beside him, Jim paused. “Is this seat taken?”

“Jim!” Petey’s eyes filled with tears, telling the other man what he already knew. The young man needed him as much as he needed Petey.

Jim sat down in the seat beside him, reaching to wipe a tear that slid down the other man’s cheek. “It’s going to be ok. I promise. Anyway, your mom’s too stubborn to leave you alone. She’ll be here another twenty years to spoil you.”

Petey gave him a watery smile before leaning his head against Jim’s shoulder, silently thanking him for being there.

Although the flight wasn’t very long, Jim could tell Petey was impatient to get there. When the light finally came on to fasten their seat belts for the landing, Jim thought the other man was going to get off the plane right then. He all but jumped out of his seat when he heard the chime. “Relax, we’re almost there. I’ll get our luggage when we land. You go grab us a rental. Do you need my credit card?”

If looks could actually kill, Jim would’ve died during the landing. “I have my own credit card and two of my mothers. She always said that I shouldn’t go anywhere without any money. So, I have access to about fifty grand on just one of the credit cards that I have.”

Jim’s mouth fell open, but then he just shook his head, leaning back as the plane started to descend.

After a smooth landing, both men hurried off the plane, wanting to get to the hospital as soon as possible. By the time their luggage came around, Petey was standing by Jim with keys to a rental and two cold drinks.

The two of them got into the rental with Petey driving since he knew the area. Westmoor General was only about twenty minutes from the airport. Finding a space in guest parking, Petey turned off the engine. Looking over at Jim, he took a deep breath before opening his door.

Jim walked around the car, lightly touching the middle of Petey’s back as they walked. Though it wasn’t much, he just wanted Petey to feel him there as well as see him. When they got inside the hospital, they were instructed where to go.

Stepping off the elevator on the floor of the Cardiac Care Unit, Petey immediately spotted his mom through one of the glass windows. He hurried through the door of the room and leaned over her, planting kisses all on her tired face, relieved that she kissed him back although she couldn’t hug him because of all the wires attached to her.

“I’m fine, Petey boy. They said it was pretty bad, but modern medicine has come a long way. Hopefully, I’ll get to leave this place in a few days.”

“Mom, you’re going to stay until they say it’s ok for you to go home. I’ll stay with you for a while after they release you.” Petey turned to see Jim hovering by the door.

“I couldn’t let him come alone. Hope you don’t mind me tagging along.” Jim smiled at Petey’s mom, charming both mother and son.

Petey’s mom smiled. “Thank you for coming with him. He gets so emotional and needs a steadfast hand at times.”

“I’m right here you two. Quit talking about me like I’m a child instead of a man.”

The two men cut their visit short. After both men kissed her cheek, Petey’s mom waved them gently away. “Go home and rest. I’ll still be here tomorrow.”

Half an hour later, the housekeeper let Jim and Petey into the house that Petey had grown up in. It was a large two-story brick home. The inside stunned Jim, but he wasn’t surprised. Olivia oozed wealth just looking and listening to her. If he didn’t know Petey, he’d never matched the two as mother and son.

Petey lead him upstairs to a room at the end of the hall. This is my room. You can sleep next door… or bunk with me. It’s up to you.” He might have sounded nonchalant, but he could feel his cheeks heat up as he spoke.

Jim picked up his suitcase and walked through the door of Petey’s room. “This is fine. No use messing up two rooms.” He sat his suitcase on the floor before sitting down on the side of the king-sized bed and removing his shoes. Looking around the room, he noticed a lot of things that were definitely Petey. There was a brass telescope on a stand almost as tall as Petey. Bookshelves filled to the max covered one whole wall. But the thing that really screamed Petey was the sky blue walls and the dark blue down comforter with light blue clouds on it that was spread out on the bed. The pillow shams were light blue also. “I’ve never slept in a room quite so peaceful looking.”

“Thanks. I was afraid you’d think it looked too feminine, but you see what I saw. It’s just comforting colors to me.”

“Petey?” The housekeeper stood in the door of the room, not bothering to knock to make her presence known. “I’ll fix the two of you a sandwich. After you get settled in, you can come down and eat.”

“Thanks Ms. Lily. I’m starving and I’m sure Jim must be hungry. We’ll be right down after we wash up and change.” Petey smiled at the older lady that was more like an aunt than a housekeeper.

Both men opened their suitcase and pulled out a pair of sweat pants. Jim didn’t bother to change his shirt, but Petey pulled the long sleeve polo off he was wearing and put on a tee shirt. They padded downstairs in their socked feet.

After Jim had eaten over half of the cold roast beef sandwich, he said, “This is a beautiful home, Petey. It must’ve been hard leaving.”

“Yeah, I missed it a little at the beginning, but not so much anymore. Things are a lot more interesting where I live now.” He winked at Jim as he spoke.

Jim chuckled. “Interesting or entertaining? I’m not sure how I’d describe our living arrangement. Some days I feel like an old married couple and other days I want to throttle you for being so insecure about things.”

“I’m not insecure. It’s just that there’s times that I feel like I’m taking up some of your space that normally would make your life a little easier if I wasn’t there.”

“You say some of the craziest shit. For one thing, you don’t take up much space at all. Anyway, I wouldn’t have asked you to move in if I hadn’t wanted you in my space.” Jim spoke as genuine as he felt.

Finishing their sandwiches, they put their glasses in the sink and went upstairs to Petey’s bedroom.

“Which side do you prefer?” Jim removed his flannel shirt as he spoke.

“Doesn’t matter. I always wind up in the middle anyway. Choose whichever you want, I don’t care.”

Jim went to brush his teeth while Petey turned down the comforter and moved all the throw pillows from the bed. When he got back in the bedroom, there was a bottle of water on the night tables that were on each side of the bed. Deciding to sleep closest to the door, Jim climbed in bed, wondering where Petey had gone.

A few minutes later, Petey came back in the room dressed in blue silk pajamas that made him look like a delicate porcelain male Barbie doll. “You look like you would break if I touched you in those pajamas,” Jim said before the thought about it.

“Nah, I promise I won’t. I just love the feel of silk. The only reason I don’t wear them at our house is I thought you’d make fun of me.”

“See! That’s what I mean. You worry too much about what others think. I’d love to see you walking around our house in silk pajamas, so pack every damn pair you’ve got and bring them back with you. Now, I’m tired. Turn out the light and get in the bed.”

Petey did as he was told, crawling across Jim to get in the bed. “I’m going to nickname you grumpy. When you’re tired, you get ill.”

Jim smiled when he felt Petey crawling over him like a child. “Call me anything you want as long as I get to sleep in your bed.”

Petey was glad it was dark so the other man couldn’t see the big smile on his face. He certainly hoped Jim wasn’t just being nice because of his mom. His feelings were too far gone to stop them now. “Nite, grumpy.”

Jim turned in the bed and pulled the smaller man to him, kissing the top of the lemon-scented hair. “Nite.”

***

Jim’s woke up to see sunlight streaming through the windows, bouncing off the blue walls. He felt like he was lying on a cloud in the sky. He frowned when he saw a note on the table beside the bed.

Good morning. I went to the hospital to catch the early visiting hours. Ms. Lily will fix you breakfast or whatever you want. Will be back before noon. Make yourself at home.

Xx

Jim’s frown disappeared when he saw how Petey signed the note. Folding it and putting it in his suitcase, he lay out clean jeans and a sweatshirt, and went to get a shower before going downstairs.

The morning passed slowly without Petey around. After breakfast, he walked around the large backyard, sitting down on a bench under a large tree. He’d been there a couple of hours when he turned to see Petey walking toward him, hands in the pockets of the jeans he wore. A light blue scarf hung around his neck that matched the sweater he wore under the black leather jacket he had on.

Scooting over and patting the seat beside him, Jim asked, “How’s your mom?”

Petey sat down, his arm brushing Jim’s he was so close to the other man. “She’s good. They’re going to let her come home tomorrow. Ms. Lily is going to move in with her. They’d already decided that before mom had her heart attack.”

“That’s great. It sounds like she’s doing well, so why the long face?”

Shrugging his shoulders, Petey hung his head, studying the black boots he wore. “I don’t know. She’ll be fine. She’s a fighter and Ms. Lily will make sure she takes care of herself. I told her I’d stay until the end of next week. You need to go on back. There’s no need in you missing any more work than you have to. We’ll be fine.” The younger man’s voice trembled a little as he spoke.

Jim studied Petey before speaking. “Are you sure you’re ok? I can stay as long as you need me to. Mr. Parks insisted.”

“So, that’s why you came. Mr. Parks thought I needed a babysitter. What do I have to do to prove to all of you that I’m a grown man? I may be small, but I’m an adult. Do you hear me? An adult!” Petey got up and stalked back to the house, his head hanging, muttering angrily to himself.

Sighing loudly, Jim looked up unconsciously seeking help. He knew this wasn’t the time to tell Petey how he felt. Things were already too emotional without adding more. Dreading the next few hours, he walked toward the house to book his flight for the next morning. If everything went well, he’d be at work come Monday morning, rested.

When Jim walked into the kitchen, Petey was sitting at the table eating a huge slice of cherry pie with enough ice cream on it to feed him and Jim. Chuckling, Jim asked, “ Were you hungry? Is that why you got out of sorts with me?”

“Hell no. I’m just tired of being treated like a kid. You don’t see me as the man I am. I’m just some twink sharing your house that you feel the need to protect.”

“Don’t throw that drama shit at me. I know you’re a man more than most. So, you figure out why I still want you to live in my house and why I came here. It wasn’t to babysit you, I assure you. Now, I’m going to book a flight for the morning and get my clothes together. If you like, we’ll have dinner later and catch a movie on TV.”

Petey looked ashamed of his outburst. “Sure.”

After he finished eating, Petey went to find Ms. Lily so he could tell her not to fix dinner. Then, he went back to the hospital to check on his mom before going to the supermarket and purchasing steak, potatoes, and salad fixings for dinner. Going over into the bakery section, he picked out a strawberry cheesecake for dessert. By the time he got home, it was almost dark. Letting himself in the back door, he put the groceries on the kitchen table.

Jim found him there fifteen minutes later, wrapping the potatoes for baking. He opened the package containing the two steaks and put them on a platter, along with a pair of tongs. “These are beautiful steaks.”

“I had the butcher cut them. I know how you grumble about fat and shit. I think it gives them more taste. Hand me that lettuce, will you?”

“I like to get what I pay for and I work too hard to pay big money for something so tough I can’t chew it. Anyway, I always get half of yours too.”

“Well, you may not get it tonight. I’m hungry enough to eat half of yours.”

“The hell you say! It hasn’t been three hours since you ate a third of a cherry pie with a pint of ice cream on top.”

Petey smiled. “I’ll have you know that the pie and ice cream is all that I’ve eaten today. I only had coffee at the hospital. So, you better guard your steak.”

Jim picked the platter containing the two steaks and started out back to the patio. “I’ll do the cooking tonight. Gotta keep an eye on my meat.”

The two men bantered back and forth the rest of the evening. They sat on opposite ends of the couch, feet propped on an ottoman in front of them, nursing a beer and watching “Gone with the Wind”. Three hours into the movie, Jim said, “I can’t believe I let you talk me in to watching this. It’s the longest damn movie I’ve ever watched.”

“You’re the only person I know that’s never seen it. Your cinematic education is lacking if you’ve never seen Scarlett with the orange sunset behind her.”

Jim scooted across the couch and yanked a strand of the straight blonde hair. “You’re pretty cinematic yourself. Like, easy on the eyes.”

“Why, Mr. Jim. Are you trying to seduce me?” Petey gave Scarlett a run for her money when he batted his big green eyes at Jim.

Unable to stifle his laughter, Jim doubled over, loving Petey’s imitation of the southern belle. After his fit of laughter, he roughly pulled Petey to him, bent him over in his arms and laid one on him, causing the smaller man to laugh into his mouth as they kissed.

The kiss got deeper, and both men forgot about the movie. Sliding his arms under Petey, Jim carried him up the stairs and to bed.

“Are you still playing Rhett Butler?” Petey looked into Jim’s face as he was laid gently on top of the comforter.

“No, I’m playing me the night before I have to leave you for a week. Now, come here and kiss me.”

***        

Jim refused to let Petey take him to the airport the next day. He called a taxi and kissed Petey inside the front door before he walked out to leave. “Call me if you need anything, and don’t over-think everything like you always do. We’ll talk when you get home. Otherwise, text every chance you get.” He kissed Petey one more time, oblivious of Ms. Lily smiling at them from the door of the kitchen.

 

Petey didn’t miss a chance to text Jim at least twice a day and more if he had something important to tell him beside just their normal conversation. He spent his days airing out his mom’s house and helping Ms. Lily get her belongings moved in. His mother insisted on him leaving on Friday. When he sent the time of his arrival to Jim, all he received back was a smiley face and a kiss.

Jim hurried home Thursday afternoon. He dragged the braided rug out of the back of his truck and took it inside. After doing some other things to prepare for Petey’s return, he settled down in his recliner with a beer and a bowl of popcorn, unable to think about anything but his lover’s arrival.

Their lovemaking the night before Jim left, showed Petey how much he meant to him and he knew it by Petey’s reaction. The small blonde cried in pain when Jim entered him, but in joy when they reached their climax in unison, both moaning in pleasure. Before making himself miserable, thinking of Petey without him there, he switched off the television and went to bed, dreaming of seeing his little man the next day.

The next afternoon, Petey looked for Jim when he got off the plane. A familiar, blue jean jacket and red baseball cap caught his eye and he jogged toward him, uncaring of the stares he got. “I missed you.” Petey stopped himself just inches from Jim.

Jim looked down at the blonde and before Petey knew what happened, Jim hauled him against him, hugging him like he hadn’t seen him in years.

They got in Jim’s truck and the ride home seemed to take forever. Their hands were clasped between them, Jim’s thumb caressing the smaller hand in his. “I have a surprise for you.”

Smiling, Petey chuckled a little mischievously. “Can I guess?”

“Ah, you’ll never guess this one. Even I thought of something you won’t figure out in a million years.”

Petey played the game with Jim all the way home. He guessed everything from edible undies to leather whips and collars. They were both laughing when they got out of the truck to go in the house.

Jim grabbed Petey’s bag, wrapping his other arm around the younger man as they walked in the house. The smell of food greeted them.

“Smells good. What did you put in the slow cooker?”

Jim put down the bag he was carrying and then turned to Petey. “I’m hungry for something else right now.” Swooping down, he grabbed Petey in his arms, picking him up, his mouth feeding off Petey’s own warm moistness. Setting him back down, Jim said, “It’s your favorite. Chicken and rice. There’s fresh rolls and salad to go with it. Then, you get your surprise.”

“I can’t wait. I think I’ll grab a shower before we eat. Wanna join me?” The excitement in Petey’s face and voice was evident.

Jim smiled lovingly into the green eyes before replying. “Nah, I got a couple of things to finish. Go ahead. I had one before I went to the airport.”

After the noise of the shower could be heard, Jim slipped through a door, and checked on everything. Satisfied that his plan was ready, he went back to the kitchen and set the table.

***

Petey finished his second helping of chicken and rice before Jim did his first. “Did you eat while you were away? I know your mom made sure you were fed.”

“It just wasn’t the same. I like our simple meals. After mom came home, Ms. Lily pampered her with all kinds of health foods, and needless to say, that’s what I ate too. Yuck!”

Jim laughed at the childish face Petey made. “You don’t get your surprise until you finish eating.”

“What about dessert?” Petey knew he was pushing the envelope by dragging things out.

“I’ll dessert you. If you’re through, put your dishes in the sink. I’m going to lock up for the night. It’s after nine.” Jim could feel Petey’s stare as he left the kitchen, but he didn’t look back or the other man would’ve seen the look of excitement on his face.

Petey threw his plate away before rinsing his glass and setting it in the sink. He walked out of the kitchen to see Jim leaned against the wall by the open basement door.

“After you, my dear.”

Curiously looking down the stairs before he started into the basement, Petey could see the light from the candles dancing on the walls. “What’ve you done now?”

“You’ll see.” Jim closed the door behind him as he followed Petey down the steps.

The sight that greeted him brought tears to Petey’s eyes. An eight-by-ten heavy braided rug covered the floor where they’d spent the night a couple of weeks ago. Two brand new, light blue sleeping bags lay on top with fluffy white cloud shaped pillows where their heads had laid. A bottle of wine chilled in a bucket close by with a crystal dish of strawberries next to it. “This is beautiful. What made you think to do something so thoughtful? I’m so happy…”

Jim turned the young man to face him. “Remember when you told me that your lying must have caused the storm?”

Petey nodded, still a little overwhelmed.

“Well, instead of lying up a storm, I thought we’d try loving up a storm.” Jim reached to touch the side of Petey’s beautiful face as he spoke.

“Something tells me I’ll never be scared of storms again,” Petey said as Jim gently lay him down.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed my little love story. smile.png
Copyright © 2014 joann414; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2014 - Spring - Nature's Wrath Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



On 03/15/2014 06:00 AM, asamvav111 said:
As beautiful and cinematic as always. Thank you MamaCroc for this.
Thanks, sweetie. You know me. Simple with a happy ending. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Beautiful story Jo Ann. Petey's insecurities and Jim's brashness are a wonderful compliment to each other. Thank you for such a heartwarming tale.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/15/2014 08:52 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Beautiful story Jo Ann. Petey's insecurities and Jim's brashness are a wonderful compliment to each other. Thank you for such a heartwarming tale.
Thank you. you know how sappy I am. :P
  • Like 1
Link to comment

A sweet tale Jo. I love how you walked us through their histories and let them come out of the past and into their future together. Very nicely crafted. Sweet tale. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/15/2014 04:31 PM, comicfan said:
A sweet tale Jo. I love how you walked us through their histories and let them come out of the past and into their future together. Very nicely crafted. Sweet tale. :)
Thanks. YOu know I identify with a sweet love story with a little angst mixed in. I even let the angst slide this time. :P
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/15/2014 09:42 PM, Suvitar said:
Such a beautiful story :wub: I really enjoyed reading it :*)
So glad you enjoyed it. What I like to her. Hugs
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I loved this story, Jo Ann! Petey and Jim are so good together! During the whole story I just wanted to grab Petey and hug him! lol

 

Great job, Jo Ann! :2thumbs:

Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 02:36 AM, Lisa said:
I loved this story, Jo Ann! Petey and Jim are so good together! During the whole story I just wanted to grab Petey and hug him! lol

 

Great job, Jo Ann! :2thumbs:

I loved writing Petey. His kind of character keeps us young. :P Thanks for the review, girl.:)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

What a lovely story. :) Petey and Jim are just adorable together. I just loved the ending. I'm a big sap for a HEA, too. :)

Link to comment

Lovely story Joann. It always amazes me in real live when two people who obviously love each other need a third party to knock their heads together so to speak. You portrayed the story beautifully.

Link to comment

I enjoy mysteries, thrillers, who-done-its, and historical stories, but nothing beats a good love story. I really enjoyed Jim and Petey's journey to realize each's feelings for the other. Thanks, Joann, for a good read.

Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 06:37 AM, Valkyrie said:
What a lovely story. :) Petey and Jim are just adorable together. I just loved the ending. I'm a big sap for a HEA, too. :)
Me too Valkyrie, met too. Thanks for reviewing :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 08:58 AM, Kitt said:
Lovely story Joann. It always amazes me in real live when two people who obviously love each other need a third party to knock their heads together so to speak. You portrayed the story beautifully.
Thank you Kitt. You know I love happiness and happy endings. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 11:30 AM, mickey1952 said:
I enjoy mysteries, thrillers, who-done-its, and historical stories, but nothing beats a good love story. I really enjoyed Jim and Petey's journey to realize each's feelings for the other. Thanks, Joann, for a good read.
You're so welcomg Mickey. I love a feel good story. thank you for the review :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wonderful story, Joann. Loved seeing the background information. It explained a lot about the characters. Thanks for the wonderful read.

Link to comment

Thank you for this beautiful, heartwarming Jo Ann-story. You portrayed Jim and Petey nicely, and showed us how they learned to finally SEE each other. Good work! Love it.

Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 01:10 PM, Bill W said:
Wonderful story, Joann. Loved seeing the background information. It explained a lot about the characters. Thanks for the wonderful read.
Thanx Bill. You helped me develop my story. Again, thanks for the review. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/17/2014 01:11 AM, aditus said:
Thank you for this beautiful, heartwarming Jo Ann-story. You portrayed Jim and Petey nicely, and showed us how they learned to finally SEE each other. Good work! Love it.
Thanks for the review. Petey was so easy to write. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Great story! I really enjoyed it a lot. :D

Link to comment
On 03/18/2014 08:14 AM, Myr said:
Great story! I really enjoyed it a lot. :D
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I enjoy writing love stories and happy endings. Thanks for the review :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I really enjoyes Reading this story, Jo Ann :hug::D Petey is a darling and Jim and him make a great couple. The ending was so sweet, spend the night in the basement without Nature's Wrath this time :):hug:

Link to comment
On 03/19/2014 10:07 AM, Slytherin said:
I really enjoyes Reading this story, Jo Ann :hug::D Petey is a darling and Jim and him make a great couple. The ending was so sweet, spend the night in the basement without Nature's Wrath this time :):hug:
Thanx Dang Bear:P you know I love a happy ending,and love thatyou took the time to review my story. Hugs :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I loved petey. I found his insecurities cute. He and Jim complemented each other perfectly. The whole story was sweet, romantic and the end was really heartwarming. Loved it!!!

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..