Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Diego & Germán - 1. Chapter I: Am I alone?

The reading convention: italics: thoughts of the MC at the time the story is happening. // *italics*: MC talking to Lisa, a daemon or AI situated in MC's brain and on "the cloud"; communication in the mind. // #italics#: Lisa talking to the MC; communication in the mind.

What a great day to be alive! Spring here is really something to behold.

An enormous vault in radiant electric cyan with some cotton candy clouds hanging here and there extended in all directions. The early sun still projected long shadows in the woods, leaving light and dark beams, alternatively warming and cooling me on my morning run.

# Well, let us see if you still feel the same when we reach 35°C at noon. This heat is not doing my valves any good. #

* Oh, fuck you, Lisa. If you are trying to manipulate me into leaving, let me tell you, I know for a fact that in the back of my brain, where you are located, it’s permanently a cozy 37°C. I know you'd prefer to be with you clique of IA's back home, solving equations, or whatever you do with your friends in your down time, but you are stuck with me here. So deal with it. Now be a good daemon, and let me enjoy my morning run. *

# Harrumph. #

Running through pure, unadulterated nature was liberating: sprinting over roots and bushes, no humans within thousands of kilometers, following a trail, zig-zagging between tree trunks, that deer and other animals had left on their way to water. When I arrived on this planet, and settled here, you almost couldn't distinguish the trail among the high grass. Now there was a clear path, of about 30 cm, that went from the woods to the tumultuous brook on the other side, below my tent.

Even though I was not trying to be specially silent, rabbits, deer or foxes crossed my way often, probably startled at seeing an unknown creature, puffing and panting in just his shorts and flashy yellow and orange running shoes. As far as I knew, there were also wolves and bears around, but they had been avoiding me so far. No problem there, as long as Ruffles, my dog, was with me. Running with weapons in the middle of nowhere is kind of ridiculous – imagine tripping on a root and shooting your leg –, but an encounter with a bear or with wolves could become really unpleasant fast. So Ruffles, my warhound, was the perfect way to keep unexpected surprises at bay.

Not that I would’ve left Ruffles behind, but bringing him with me had been one of the conditions my family set when they agreed to sponsor me for this trip. My mothers would not have put their impressive weight behind this project if the cybernetic combat war hound was not to spend every minute with me, in the ‘frozen-ass-of-the-galaxy’, as they liked to remind me.

And really, Ruffles was the kind of cuddly company I really loved to have with me. He woke me up every morning, laying his not inconsiderable weight on my stomach, impatient to go out, and his sheer happiness running through the woods with me, gave me energy for the whole day. I didn't feel so lonely with him around.

After a bend in the trail, I arrived at the brook again, with the water current singing g to the left and a dark green slope to the right. Below a thick mass of leaves supported by hundreds of straight white trunks, extended a shadowy turf with thousands of tiny white bell-flowers, almost shining against the dark background. It resembled an inverted green night sky carried by marble columns.

Wow! What colors! If the planet has more of these to offer, this will be a memorable stay.

* Have you seen this, Lisa? *

# Did you notice it reeks like garlic there? Those are ramsons. #

* Oh, shut up. Can't I just enjoy the beauty? *

# I am just trying to prevent you becoming a sappy romantic. We do not need the angst here. #

* You are just jealous I can run and you can’t. *

# Hey! That really was under the belt. You are being a bodyist pig. We, the bodyless, resent what you are implying. #

I continued running and bickering with Lisa. The ramsons' slope more or less marked the middle of my circuit. From now on, the trail turned right, moving under some crags, to enter the big plain of the river that occupied the center, several kilometers further down.

The moment I was under the crags, Ruffles began barking nervously.

That big putz has smelled a rabbit again. If I didn't control him, there wouldn't be a rabbit in kilometers.

But then I felt it too. Someone or something was watching.

How is it possible? I should have detected this sooner. The nearest settlement is the mission in Shboa, over a 1000 km away. What interest could that bunch of fanatics have in me? If it was them, they'd have come calling at my tent, exhorting me to repent and clean my sinful soul. Actually, who would have an interest in me at all?

* Lisa, have you noticed it too? *

# Do you think it could be a booty call? #

* Oh, come on, this is serious. Whoever this is, he has gone undetected for who knows how long. And that failure includes you. *

# Hey, I'm just as good as my sensors, and they are not saying jack. Someone was too cheap to spend money on decent stuff. #

* We are not having that discussion now. *

I got goosebumps. Whoever this was, he was really good. I contacted Ruffles, to see if his keen senses had detected something more. A war hound was an exceedingly expensive machine, which only the likes of my family could afford privately, and the technology involved was nothing but spectacular. But even Ruffles had only detected something at the lowest level of intuition, and I could not find a better answer.

* Lisa, how are the satellites doing. Can you read anything from them?*

# I have already checked, but someone was too much of a cheapskate to deploy all the satellites (do you notice a trend here?), and now they are both under the horizon. At least I can confirm everything is fine at the camp and no one has breached the secured perimeter. #

* Hey, I wasn't expecting an army for tea. I'm in the frozen asshole of the galaxy, for fucks sake! *

Actually I’d thought of not launching the satellites at all. What dangers should there be on an archeological mission? The drones should be enough for reconnaissance and transport. At the end I decided to launch them to better study the wider terrain and weather patterns, but I never thought they would be needed against an attack or something.

OK, let's use some concentration. Focus your emptiness inside. Let your consciousness expand. Extend the bubble out. Sense all the life around you. Hear their essence. Feel their energy.

Slowly the bubble of my consciousness grew, while I jogged on. Keeping my body moving, to avoid letting my watcher realize he’d been found out, and concentrating on my chi wasn’t easy. But I was able to follow my intuition to its source.

There it was, somewhere above me, on the crag. A person, a man, was watching, perched on a ledge, but I couldn’t sense any impending danger. Whoever it was, he wasn’t out to hurt me.

What is he doing there? I'm in the middle of nowhere, doing an archaeological excavation. Someone lost? Some castaway?

I used my military training to reign in my thoughts. No use asking questions that can’t be answered. Ruffles! Let's go back to camp!

Ruffles immediately positioned himself by my side and we both trotted back. Not too fast, but not too slow; I wanted to get back as soon as possible, but I had to keep my strength; I might need it later.

Mysterious stalker didn't try to follow me.

As soon as I arrived at the tent, I sat at my office table, to get a better connection to the system, and tried to see if I could find out something else. Maybe the baggers or the drones had detected something out of the ordinary. Even the data from the satellites from the past days didn't give me any clues as to who was watching.

* OK, Lisa, let's increase security and launch the third and fourth satellites. We still have some stuff in the ship we could use down here. Deploy it as you see fit. If that guy is going to visit, I want to know before he arrives. Oh, and bring down some of the heavy stuff. I want to be ready for all eventualities, and the gun won't be enough. For the moment I'll concentrate on my job, and you can play with the system, and watch the invisible man. *

# You always get the best jobs! #

* That's because I'm the boss. *

My mind filled with a big smiley blowing a raspberry.

First and foremost, I'd like to thank Carlos Hazday, the Beta Reader, and Jaro_423, the Editor, for their hard work, and their immense patience. You rock!  :worship:
If there are any errors left in the story, rest assured, they are mine.
I'm not sure how the comments work here, but I'd be grateful if you could notice me any errors you find. Thanks!
© Copyright 2015 Jorge Jackson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A very good start, this shows the potential for an incredibly exciting story, carry on and keep it going. Have fun doing this. Thank you.

Link to comment
On 03/10/2015 02:21 PM, avidreadr said:
Good beginning. You have me curious about the watcher. I look forward to more.
Thanks! Let's see when the second chapter is ready. I hope it won't take long.
Link to comment
On 03/10/2015 01:12 PM, Dathi said:
A very good start, this shows the potential for an incredibly exciting story, carry on and keep it going. Have fun doing this. Thank you.
Thanks! I hope you enjoy the next chapters too.
Link to comment

Well done for posting! Great start! I didn't have an opportunity to comment before as we were concentrated on technicalities so it's great to be able to review. I'm not a great scifi fan but this looks good. I like all the suggestions of where this could go and the challenges it could raise. It looks thought provoking as well as imaginative. I also love your beautiful descriptions of the surroundings. You are no doubt a nature lover. And to top it all this is such an intriguing start and poses all kinds of questions that make us want to read on. The banter between him and Lisa is hilarious too adding a delightful comic touch. Thanks for writing and posting! And there are already a couple of reviews. Wow! Get ready for take off!

Link to comment

I enjoyed the beginning and will watch for more. You might wish to change the story's status to in progress instead of complete until the whole story is posted ? :)

Link to comment

Great start, Jorge! I told you I liked the story and it's good to see I'm not the only one.

Can I tell the readers that in chapter 2... Ooops :X

Link to comment
On 03/10/2015 07:13 PM, Foster said:
I enjoyed the beginning and will watch for more. You might wish to change the story's status to in progress instead of complete until the whole story is posted ? :)
Thanks! I have already changed it.
Link to comment
On 03/10/2015 06:48 PM, Jaro_423 said:
Well done for posting! Great start! I didn't have an opportunity to comment before as we were concentrated on technicalities so it's great to be able to review. I'm not a great scifi fan but this looks good. I like all the suggestions of where this could go and the challenges it could raise. It looks thought provoking as well as imaginative. I also love your beautiful descriptions of the surroundings. You are no doubt a nature lover. And to top it all this is such an intriguing start and poses all kinds of questions that make us want to read on. The banter between him and Lisa is hilarious too adding a delightful comic touch. Thanks for writing and posting! And there are already a couple of reviews. Wow! Get ready for take off!
Thank you! Thanks to you and to Carlos this is possible. Without your help, I would have been half so good. I hope you stay for the ride!
Link to comment
On 03/11/2015 03:13 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Great start, Jorge! I told you I liked the story and it's good to see I'm not the only one.

Can I tell the readers that in chapter 2... Ooops :X

¡Gracias hermoso! You have been essential to this adventure, without you it surely wouldn't be published by now. I would even forgive you the unforgivable, that is, spoiling the readers ;)
Link to comment

Very interesting. I have to admit that I was a little confused ((I should have paid more attention to the story notes ;) )). This is an Earth-like planet but are the characters human? I was curious since they were telepathic. Will all the story be in this format or will they also speak/dialog? I love Sci-Fi and can't wait to see where you take this :)

Link to comment
On 03/14/2015 07:54 AM, K.C. said:
Very interesting. I have to admit that I was a little confused ((I should have paid more attention to the story notes ;) )). This is an Earth-like planet but are the characters human? I was curious since they were telepathic. Will all the story be in this format or will they also speak/dialog? I love Sci-Fi and can't wait to see where you take this :)
Thanks for coming by! I have been hearing about the confusion :/ I've tried to explain a little bit about what Lisa is in the fourth paragraph, but it looks like I didn't do a good enough job. <_<

 

Lisa is a dæmon, an IA located in Diego's brain. She can communicate with him without speaking, but it's no telepathy. Lisa is not only situated in Diego's brain, she can also communicate with the “net”, and is “in the cloud”, so that she can remotely control everything that is needed. She has access to Diego's senses, and all the sensors around (almost all the gadgets have some kind of sensors and/or chips), but only hears him if he is talking loud or “thinking” to her, so he can keep his thoughts private if he wants to. I will be talking more about Lisa at the end of the first part of the story.

 

The SF in this story is not too out there. But I won't reveal too much, I don't want to spoil anything. :lol: Your last question will be answered in the next chapter. :gikkle:

 

P.S. That was an awesome job you did there, with Pour me another. :thumbup:

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..