Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,083 Words
  • 1,839 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Touch of Blue - 3. Muffins for comfort?

Zafiro

I travel up the stairs till I reach the fourth floor.

Piggie was nice enough to take me into his arms and offer a place in his building to live in. Sure, the music downstairs can be a bit annoying, but at least I am not out on my own.

There are times when I feel that maybe I should be staying at a place on my own, but then I would feel lonely and I don’t really want to go through any of that ever again.

Piggie took me in when I was about thirteen.

I was living in the alleyways, sleeping behind dumpsters. It was pretty much the safest place for me to stay.

My mama had gone missing and I was pretty much alone.

She was like me. A thief. Actually it is probably the other way around. I was like her.

Anyways, she broke into all kinds of places. Her favorite thing to steal were paintings.

I never really understood why she was so into that but I learned that they actually reel in a lot of money.

Apparently the rich people are willing to by anything that was touched by a paint brush.

Mama had said that she never wanted me to grow up and be like her. When I had said that I wanted to be a ballet dancer, she was more than happy to pay for my classes.

Obviously, that was not at all what I thought it would be.

I enjoyed it for a small time. Maybe I would be considered good? I just got bored of it. I knew of the lifestyle that my Mama had chosen.

She was so happy. I was even happier when she would let me look at all the pretty jewels she kept in her special box.

When I looked at the pretty emeralds, rubies, and diamonds she had, I wanted some of my own.

I started to teach myself how to tell which people had the money. I would look at how they walked and held themselves together. How they treated others around them.

It eventually got to the point that I stole for the first time at twelve. It was only a watch off of Ama, but it still felt good!

Mama immediately noticed the new watch in our home. She grabbed it and my wrist and hauled me all the way to Ama’s workplace. She made me apologize and give it back.

Ama found it all hilarious, saying that I was definitely her son. That must have gotten on Mama’s nerves because she snapped at me later than night.

“You are never to steal from our own people.” Mama said. She had both her hands on my arms to keep me in place. “These are your family, you treat them with respect!”

I was bawling my eyes out. Not necessarily because I felt bad or because I was scared of my mother, but because I was sad that I lost my first prize.

Days would go by and I would just keep coming home with new things that I ‘found’.

Mama would not exactly get mad, she would just get more stressed out. She would ask where I got these random things and I would simply lie. Of course she knew I was lying. She knew exactly what I was doing.

Eventually it got to the point that Mama realized that I was skipping my dance classes and running around in the rich side’s homes to steal little pretty trinkets.

It was not entirely my fault!

The other kids in the class were bullies because my tights were not as new or pretty as theirs. It does not help that I would always one up them because I was clearly a better dancer than all of them.

Those bitches.

I remember being sent home once because one little hoe would keep talking smack and so I punched her teeth in.

Mama was very proud!

So yeah, the whole dance class thing was never going to work. I knew it and Mama knew it.

About a month before her disappearance, Mama decided to teach me things that she learned. She showed me how to pick locks and also how to use a loupe to see if any of these rich people were scammed and therefore keep us from getting scammed. She also introduced me to Piggie.

Obviously she didn’t outright say ‘Piggie is my Fence’, she said that Piggie was a good friend of hers that liked her things.

I guess Piggie likes my things as well now.

The day before Mama disappeared, she said she would take me on one of her little scavenges.

She had to first pick up something for some anonymous payer. She seemed pretty scared about it.

All of a sudden she was gone.

Nobody knows where she went.

~~~

I open the door to my room and immediately scurrying can be heard in the dark.

I flip the light on and a giant St. Bernard barrels after me to jump up and lick my face.

“Laneer stop!” I laugh and push him down. Of course I get down with him and kiss all over his furry face. “I missed you too!”

I smile and walk into my kitchen.

A fluffy, White Siberian cat is perched on top of the fridge and he immediately starts turning into a purring machine upon seeing me.

“Hey there, Yinx.” I grin and scratch the bottom of his chin. His big green eyes practically sparkle.

Opening the fridge, I pull out a water bottle and take a good chug before moving for my room.

Both of the fur babies follow me.

They both jump on top of the bed, waiting for me to join them.

Instead I turn to the bathroom and strip for a shower.

It has been a long night and I was sweating and the body odor from the nightclub feels like it followed me.

A shower is definitely needed.

Looking in the mirror, I frown at the mark on my hip. I light touch it with my finger and it stings a little.

Dammit. I guess there was no way I would have gone through those lasers without getting burned.

This shower won’t be so fun. I hate when it keeps touching my wounds.

~~~
~~~

Roy

I drop my badge, my cuffs, and my work phone into a box.

Avery holds that box. She sighs and turns to walk out the door.

Before she leaves, she glances at me once more.

Her greying black hair is tied up into a messy bun. She has a grey suit on and she honestly looks pretty nice. She’s wearing those heels that add another four inches, so she is fairly tall at the moment.

I like to consider her a friend of mine, even if she is a bit older than me.

We never really talk much since she is always busy with work, but at least I know I can count on her.

Today just happens to be a day where not even she could convince our bosses to keep me here.

I have been warned plenty of times to not go out on my own. To stop chasing Zafiro and to keep in line with everyone else.

Avery gets pretty frustrated that I keep chasing him as well. She constantly says that I am wasting my time and that I am going to end up getting fired.

Well, here I am. Getting fired.

I walk out of Avery’s office and make my way out of the U.U.P.P. office.

It feels more like a walk of shame in all honesty.

Maybe I really had this coming. I constantly have a rough time working with people, so why would I want to choose to work in a place that requires you to work together always?

I guess I am just dumb. However, I still feel like we should not keep all our attention on the new Aliens from Ember.

I get it, hundreds of new bodies merging into our world at once and that can be a lot to handle, but that does not mean that while our eyes are set on them everywhere else will pause and allow us to take our time setting things straight.

Now look, places are getting robbed left and right, and there have even been a few murders. Who knows what else is happening out there in this gigantic city?

There are a few people that look my way. Some roll their eyes and go back to their business. Others just stare.

I just keep a straight face and pull my jacket tighter around me.

Fuck all of this. I don’t need them. Let them screw things over in our city. Obviously they are not going to do a damn thing about it.

Somehow this is probably a blessing. Leaving U.U.P.P. will just free my name for when people realize that Sector 4 is falling in mayhem and they start pointing fingers.

Nobody will be screaming that Roy Kyung did anything wrong. I guess I am more than fine with that.

What if I decided to join in on all the lawbreaking? I bet I would be left well alone as well.

It is all stupid.

U.U.P.P. is especially stupid.

Ok, they are not entirely stupid. I am just being a bit bitter.

It doesn’t help that everyone is staring at me as if I have two heads on my shoulders.

Fucking Zafiro.

He pretty much did this to me.

It might not be considered entirely his fault, but a huge part of this is because of him.

God if I ever catch him, I am going to squeeze his little neck and wring him around like a ragdoll.

Of all the damn criminals in Sector 4, why did I have to get fired because of him?

He’s so damn cocky and constantly throwing little flirts my way. It all irritates me. The worst part is that he has done this for years! Even before the Alentian Mekaias brought the new Aliens here.

I am pretty sure Zafiro was a teenager when we first found him running after he robbed a jewelry store.

That alone annoys me even more.

I lost to a fucking teenager.

Finally I am out the door.

Sighing, I breathe in the night air.

It sure feels great to get fired on the same night that Zafiro manages to get away yet again.

Just great. All of this is just super fucking great.

May I ask whatever keeper of fate is out there what I did to deserve this? I would think that everyone else in U.U.P.P. would be having things done to them but nope! Only me.

Ok, Avery is cool so she would not deserve anything, but everyone else...fuck them.

You know what? Since everything sucks today, I am going to stop by and pick up a muffin.

Is there a reason for it? No not at all. I just need some kind of good to happen to me today.

I get in my car and search for a bakery in my GPS. There is one about three miles from me.

Sweet!

~~~

Nevermind. Not sweet.

Since it is two in the morning, everything is closed. There are those twenty-four hour stores, but I don’t really feel like eating packaged muffins.

I guess the bad still continues tonight.

Instead of going straight home, I sit with my head against my car seat.

Do I really want to go home? Is there even a point? What do I have waiting for me there? Nothing.

What am I even supposed to do now?

Obviously I need to find another job, but what should I even go for?

Maybe I just need a break. A small vacation of sorts. Not necessarily out of the city. Just staying home and maybe watching movies and stuffing my face.

That could be fun right? I hear people do that all the time.

Honestly, just the thought of doing that makes me feel sick. I am still going to do it though. Whether I like it or not.

Instead of just sitting here like a creeper, I decide to finally drive off to my house. Maybe a bed would be better than a car seat.

What do people even do in situations like this? It feels awful. Like I did something terribly wrong.

I understand quitting your job. That might give yourself a sense of control, but being fired...I feel like I don’t have a hold on anything in my life.

This all just sucks. This is just a really sucky day.

I could point a finger at Zafiro but now that I have somewhat calmed my mind down, I know that would be stupid.

Sure he is the reason I have run off and left the base on my own multiple times, but I chose to leave.

I probably should have been like everyone else.

Shaking my head, I punch the music box and let whatever music distract me.

It does not work.

I would never want to be like everyone else. It is not right.

Since I traveled all the way to find an empty bakery, I have a bit of a ways to head back home.

Driving past the same old lights every day gets pretty boring, so I guess this is not so bad.

There aren’t any people out tonight since it is so late. It is kind of calming. Nice empty streets. The only things that move are the light shows on the sides of buildings and the few drones that fly around delivering information.

Every now and then I see someone walking around. Some are even jogging. Those must be the insane people.

I guess they feel it is safe enough here to do that.

A few androids walk around as well. They complete any errands that everyone else wants done overnight.

Lately people have been saying that androids should not be used in such ways.

Personally, I find the whole ‘They could have feelings too’ a bit crazy, but to each their own I guess.

When I reach my house, I see that someone else is parked in front of my garage.

Avery leans against her car with her arms crossed.

I roll my window down.

“You are kind of in my way.” I call out.

“We need to talk.” She says.

I sigh. “Fine, but I still need my garage.”

Avery rolls her eyes and gets in her car to move.

Quickly, I park inside and Avery comes up next to me.

“I need a drink.” I say as I get out my car.

“You and me both.” She says.

I move past her and walk into my kitchen.

This house was pretty much given to me by my parents. They did not want me to be on my own and struggling with money problems while I was working with U.U.P.P.

Can’t wait to give them the great news!

“Roy.” Avery starts but I hold up a finger to stop her.

“Wait, I still don’t have a bottle yet.” I say and reach into the fridge.

I grab two bottles of beer. Turning my thumb into metal, I flick the tops off and offer one to Avery.

She nods her thanks to me and we both just drink in silence and just stare at the island in the middle of the kitchen.

At least I do. I can’t really tell what she is doing. Probably staring at me.

“You’ll be alright.” She nods to herself.

I roll my eyes.

“You know, I expected you to comfort me,” I say. “Not be happy that I have been pushed out of the force.”

Avery sets her bottle down.

“I did not say that I was happy you were gone. I am just glad you can find something else that will not stress you out as much.”

“Who says I was stressed out?” I raise an eyebrow.

Avery rolls her eyes. “The way you act was enough for me to tell.”

I scoff and turn away.

“Screw you, Avery.”

“Screw you!” She laughs, “I don’t have anything to lose. Obviously I am not trying to bring you down. I am here because I care about you.”

I glance back at her and sigh.

“Fine,” I say.

“Fine what?” She asks.

I just shrug. “I don’t know. I have nothing to really say. Obviously whatever I do is seen as stressful.”

She smiles. “You just need a small break. Maybe when you clear things up in that head of yours, you can come back. I’ll try and pull some strings to make them like you again.”

I smirk. “Thanks, Avery. However, I have a feeling they won’t want someone who likes working alone back in their side.”

She chuckles. “Yeah maybe not. I guess you had better fix that little issue then.”

“Who says it is an issue?”

She raises an eyebrow, “Literally any job that requires teamwork.”

I roll my eyes and wave it off. “Maybe I should just become some vigilante?”

“You probably could since U.U.P.P. has their backs to the city right now.”

That is something that I like about Avery. She knows just as much as I do that U.U.P.P. is neglecting the city right now. It makes me feel not so alone with my views on the issue.

“I am sorry about all this though.” She says.

I shrug it off.

“It isn’t your fault.” I say. “It is all me.”

“Well I didn’t think I would hear that!” She grins. “That is some good progress already and this is pretty much the first two hours of being let go!”

I frown. “What are you talking about?”

She leans on the counter.

“I would have thought that you would put all the blame on your little boyfriend.”

At that, I down the rest of my drink.

“He’s not my boyfriend.” I glare.

She laughs. “Sure he isn’t.”

“Why do you even joke about that?” I say. “It isn’t even funny.”

“Well, you both would be cute together.” She smirks.

I roll my eyes. “You can go now.”

She laughs and picks up her keys. “Alright, alright. Just take care of yourself, Roy. I’m just a phone call away, alright?”

“Yeah, yeah.” I wave her off. “Get out.”

She chuckles and then she leaves through the garage.

Yay for Yinx and Laneer pets :D (not a tragedy for them this time I swear)
Copyright © 2019 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 4
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

13 minutes ago, Hellsheild said:

Having struggled through their whole lives Yinx and Laneer finally can live together in peace. 

Looks like "Morgoren's future" came true :P

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..