Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,344 Words
  • 1,439 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Touch of Blue - 4. Little Bluebird

Zafiro

I stretch in my bed and end up kicking Yinx off of the bed.

“Oops!” I sit up and over the foot of the bed.

Yinx gives me an evil look before hopping back on and curling up against Laneer.

“I didn't mean it.” I laugh.

I slip out of the bed sheets and leave my two children to sleep some more.

Checking the clock on my nightstand, it says that it is 11 am.

Well, I guess I should get ready to deliver the folder for Cody.

Cody is the leader of the Snake gang. He hired me to pick up the folder that was being kept hidden in the museum of history.

Me being me, I could not help myself from looking through its contents.

I will not lie, it was a bit unsettling to realize that it showed a bunch of plans of which factories are to be raided to pick up “special supplies”.

At first I thought it was just to find more drugs or maybe even parts for androids.

It was not drugs or android parts.

I believe Cody is hoping to start a new sort of business of distributing illegal augmentations.

Augmentations would be something that everyone would buy for sure. So many people want to change their body. ‘To make it better.’

It will not make you better.

Sure, you want to be taller because you just hate being short? Go ahead. I can’t really relate but more power to you.

You want to have skin made of metal? By all means, good for you. I won’t judge. Hell, I find the Tin Can pretty handsome.

Oh you want more than that? Well then that is the problem.

When these augments are made easier to get a hold of, then people will start to ruin their lives.

Everyone already knows that it is best to only have one augmentation done to your body. It has been said multiple times for decades.

However, we are all human. The mind constantly tricks itself into thinking that we could be better. That we need to be better.

When this cheaper augments are going to just be given out left and right, it will ruin so many lives.

I think I can easily say that I am not sure that I want to give this folder to Cody.

From what I know, this folder belongs to Arturo, the other gang leader of these streets.

When, not if, when Arturo learns that this folder is in Cody’s hands, I know that stupid hot-headed man is going to want to start an all out war with Cody.

They constantly try to look for reasons to butt heads.

I remember this one time, Arturo had asked me to pick up a hard drive that was in some random retired general’s house.

Later on, Cody then called me in. We shared a nice glass of wine as he wanted to talk about whatever mission it was that he wanted to send me on.

It should be known, it was nowhere near where the retired general’s home was.

Well, here comes Arturo running in as if he was someone expecting to find his wife sleeping with someone.

He starts yelling about how I am secretly conspiring against him and that I was about to bring in the hard drive for Cody.

Cody was at least nice enough to say that, that was never my intention. However, he then began to play with Arturo and say that he was ‘very much interested now’.

Thus leading to a fist fight that ended up with me leaving them both behind to carry out their wishes.

Thankfully they didn’t kill each other. Otherwise I would have stolen their items for nothing and I wouldn’t have gotten any money.

Because of this intrusion, I have made it so that I meet them at their own establishments whenever they want shit done with me.

I swear it is almost like working with two babies that hate each other for no reason.

It is annoying. Especially because they both think I am working for the other.

It’s all just a lot of drama for no reason at all.

Quickly, I brush my teeth, wash my face, and then get changed.

For a moment, I debate if I should eat something or not.

It is that weird moment between breakfast and lunch for me.

Not entirely sure what to do, I end up eating a handful of cereal from the box and a bottle of soda.

Standing by the door, I make some kissing noises. Instantly I hear Laneer thundering his way to me.

I smile and open the door.

We travel down the stairs and circle to the back of the nightclub.

After putting in a code to unlock the backdoor, Laneer bolts past me and goes to do his business.

I sigh and lean against the side of the building.

It is pretty quiet at the moment.

Most of the life on this side of the city tends to come alive when the sun is down. Maybe it is because everyone wants to feel mysterious?

I like it because everyone’s face isn’t so easy to see in all the shadows they try to hide under.

A lot of ugly bastards in the Poor Side. Barely any in the Rich Side. They have all those fancy things to alter their face and such.

“Hey, Zafiro.” Piggie says as he stands next to me. He lights up a cigarette.


“Hola, hola.” I smile and raise an eyebrow. “Smoking kills you know?”

Piggie rolls his eyes and blows a cloud into my face.

I pull the cigarette from his lips, throw it on the ground and step on it to put it out.

“Hey! Those are expensive!” He exclaims.

I shrug. “You shouldn’t have blown your load on my face.”

Piggie sighs and looks over at Laneer.

“You hear about Roy Kyung?” He asks.

“Who?”

He looks at me with a deadpan expression. “You’re joking right?”

I giggle. “Of course I am. Also, no I have not heard about Tin Can. What did he do this time? Another tantrum at a cafe?”

Piggie laughs and shakes his head. “No, nothing like that.” He takes a pause as he stares down the alleyway.

“Well?” I ask. “You can’t just say that and not say what happened.”

He looks over at me with a smirk. “He got fired.”

I frown and purse my lips. “Aww really? That sucks.”

Piggie looks a bit surprised. “It does? I thought you would be happy to hear that. Finally have that thorn in your side gone.”

I smirk. “He was never a thorn in my side. He was more of a small tickle on my neck.”

He laughs. “Ah I bet you would have liked more than that on your neck.”

I roll my eyes and smile. “You and Vero have a strange fascination with me and Tin Can. Don’t worry, baby. I won’t leave you for him.”

Piggie smiles and wraps an arm around my shoulders.

“As much as that warms my heart,” He says, “I believe we both know that we all want you to find something better for your life.”

Here we go again. The same damn speech that my mother had given to me when I first started stealing for fun.

Piggie really can act like such a dad sometimes. He and my Mama would constantly say that the lifestyle I have chosen is not one that I should be in.

From what I have gathered, they want me to move on up and live as if I am in the Rich Side.

Piggie constantly hints that I should use my money to buy myself a nice place that probably has a light show on the side of it.

I don’t think they understand how much I don’t want that.It is not at all me. It will never be me. I do not want it.

“Your man is living over on the southernmost part of the city.” Piggie says.

I raise an eyebrow at that. “You are telling me this because…?”

He shrugs and moves to make his way inside.

“Oh I don’t know,” He smiles. “Just thought that information would be nice to share with you.”

He disappears and Laneer finally makes his way to me.

I look down at his adorable face and scratch the top of his head.

“It looks like Uncle Piggie wants to hook me up with Tin Can for some reason.” I say to Laneer in a higher pitched voice. “Isn’t that just a big dumbass joke?”

The way I say that sounds like praise and Laneer smiles and thumps his tail on the ground.

I bring him back up to my room before making my way to the abandoned apartment building that holds my suit.

I decide to ride over on my bike. Grappling around from roof to roof seems like too much work for such a small errand.

Well, it isn’t ‘small’, but compared to everything else I have done, I can easily say that delivering a folder doesn’t take much work.

Along the way, I couldn't help thinking about Tin Can now.

He actually got fired? Why?

He is the only one that I know that seemed to be doing his job right.

Everywhere I went, he would be there before anyone else. Most times lately he would be alone. That just says to me that he took his job seriously, so why did he get fired?

It is strange and I do not know how I feel about it. Maybe a bit sad. I did like the fun we had together.

He may not have found it fun, but he certainly made these last few heists entertaining.

U.U.P.P. has been slacking with their security for sure.

I used to have large groups searching for me. Sometimes I would have to hide in some random person’s apartment and wait for the officers to calm down. Now I just have to get out of the building and climb onto the roof.

Tin Can knows he can’t chase me because by the time he gets either in his car or onto the rooftop, I am already gone.

So yes, Tin Can being fired makes me a bit sad.

When I reach the abandoned apartment, I quickly change into my suit and make sure nothing has been disturbed here.

There are a few animal prints in the dust that is settled on the ground, but other than that, nothing has been touched.

As soon as I lock everything, I get on my bike and ride off for Cody.

I probably could have gone to meet Cody in regular clothes but I just don’t want to risk it. Who knows if they try to attack me at some point. What if the thought has crossed their mind? That alone is enough for me to be cautious.

The Snake Gang territory is pretty much the top half of Sector 4. The other half belongs to the Bloody Ravens.

Both of their main bases are here though. It is a bit strange since the entire Poor Side is pretty much in Cody’s territory.

I guess it is some weird silent agreement they have.

For a moment, I was going to say ‘Glad I am not with a gang’ but I guess doing things for their leaders is also having a small allegiance to them.

Cody’s establishment is on the very tip top of this section of the city. That is about eight miles from my home.

It can be a bit unnerving working alongside him when he is so close to home, but I guess technically I live close to all kinds of criminals. Even Piggie and Vero are criminals.

I wonder if that is a thing that goes on in everyone else’s heads here?

Of course there are those that just live on with their lives. Not at all touching crime. Those people actually get protection from everyone else.

It is a bit weird. Everyone who murders, steals, lies. They all gather around to help those who do not want to be a criminal.

Hell even I do it!

I get way more than I’ll ever need so why not help those who could use the help?

There is one thing I will say that annoys me about it. They sure are needy.

I carefully maneuver myself in the street. I can’t speed up much thanks to all the potholes but at least it still doesn’t take as much work as my other option.

When I finally reach the grand entrance to the Snake Gang’s little hidey hole, I see a familiar bucket of bolts.

“Hey, good lookin’.” I smile at Soul.

He would be the meathead that keeps an eye out for Cody. I guess in this case he would be the ‘metalhead’?

Soul is an android. He was abandoned long ago until Cody found him. He helped put Soul back together again and even made him bigger and stronger.

Soul likes to wear a green jacket. Thankfully there are Alien sizes that are able to fit him. The back has a giant symbol of a golden snake with emeralds in its eyes.

“Zafiro, you know I am not good looking, but welcome to Cody’s establishment.” His eyes glow a bright blue for every syllable he pronounces.

“Aww, Soul! You were supposed to say ‘whatcha got cookin’’ remember?” I cross my arms and pretend to pout.

Soul’s head tilts to the side, most likely to figure out if I am truly disappointed about it.

“Apologies.” He says, “I will be sure to save this into my memory to prepare myself for the next time we meet again.”

“Who told you that you weren’t handsome?” I frown. “If someone hurt your feelings, you had better let me know. I’ll make them regret it.”

There is a small pause before he responds. “Zafiro, you know I am not capable of having ‘feelings’ such as yourself.”

“Sure you don’t, buddy.” I pat his arm and walk past him. “I’ll see myself through. See you when I get back!”

As I am walking in, I hear Soul start talking to himself. He keeps saying “Hey good lookin, whatcha got cookin’” over and over again.

He is practicing already.

I smile.

~~~

Inside does not at all look like the outside.

Outside, it just looks like a normal brick building that has a few missing patches of brink and stone.

Inside, the floor is completely made of black marble. There are pillars that I believe are more for show. A receptionist desk sits at the end of the floor. Benches sit along the edges of the room and there are a few people sitting here, waiting to speak to Cody perhaps.

Cody likes to try and keep things ‘classy’.

I waltz on through and speak to the lady at the desk. Well, I would but she interrupted me immediately.

“Cody is waiting for you.” She points to the elevator behind her. “Go on through.”

“Anybody ever teach you some damn manners?” I say as I walk past.

I hear her grunt behind me and then she can be heard flipping through a checkbook.

Normally she would make me give up my weapons and maybe pieces of my suit, but these people know that if they want to start business with me, I get to keep my shit.

Being this good tends to bring some nice benefits.

Cody sits in the third floor of this building. Just like everywhere else inside here, the floors and pillars are made of black marble. There is a single desk that is set by the windows in the end.

Cody is leaning against the desk, reading a book.

As soon as I walk in, he looks up at me.

“Ah! Why if it isn’t my little Bluebird.” He says and sets his book down. “I trust Tonya was nice to you?”

I shrug. “Could have been better. You should teach her how to let others speak first.”

Cody laughs and walks to my side, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

“I take it you got what I asked for?” He says.

Reaching into my bag, I pull out the manila folder. The edges are a bit bendy but other than that, it is in perfect shape!

“Well done, Bluebird.” He squeezes my shoulder, “I take it you would like your prize?”

I move away from him to give myself some space. I sit on his desk.

“You know that’s what I want,” I smirk. “but I think you leaving those cheesy bird names in the past would be nice as well.”

“Hmm…” He runs his fingers along the edges of the folder. “You didn’t read what was in this by chance, did you?”

I just bat my eyelashes and smile. “Now why would I do that? Surely, a lowly thief like me wouldn’t look into things that have nothing to deal with me.”

Cody grunts and begins to circle around the desk.

“Have you ever heard of Bluebirds?” He asks. I shake my head. “Well I am not entirely surprised. They went extinct many years ago, even before I was born.”

He leans in closer to me, resting his hand on my thigh. “You see, the birds’ homes were destroyed. Humanity was just constantly destroying all the forests. So many little pretty birdies would die because they lost their nests.”

I sigh, “Is there a reason you are telling me this? Also, when did you become some kind of bird expert?”

Cody chuckles and squeezes my thigh. “Well, my little Bluebird. Let’s just say that snakes were also a predator of the real Bluebirds. The Bluebirds would fly too close to areas that they clearly shouldn’t have been in. They would turn into little desserts for the snakes.”

Ah I see. This is some weird way of threatening me. For what? Is it because I looked through the folder? That is just stupid. It isn’t like I am going to tell anyone or something…

I stand and turn to him. “Cody, enough with these bird facts. Pay me already so that I can leave. I have a needy cat that needs food.”

Cody smiles and moves to his desk chair. He reaches down and pulls out a metal briefcase.

After typing in what seems like the longest code ever, Cody opens the briefcase.

I smile when I see the pretty piles of green.

He turns the briefcase and pushes it towards me.

“I take it 10 grand will be enough?” He says.

“Oh Cody.” I sigh, “You sure know the way to my heart.”

He smirks and gives me a special card that unlocks the briefcase.

“Well, I’m off.” I say, grabbing the briefcase and moving to leave. “If you need me for something else, you know who to call.”

“Zafiro.” Cody says just as I reach the elevator.

“What?” I look over my shoulder, a bit annoyed.

He has a strange smile on his face. It is a bit creepy.

“I would hate if a pretty Bluebird like yourself got too close to things that should be left well alone.”

I smirk and nod to him. “Then I better keep flapping my wings.”

His face seems to get even creepier at that.

“Yes...wings.”

I turn to leave through the elevator.

That was strange. It was incredibly creepy in the end. Not sure how I feel about it in all honesty.

As I am leaving, I walk by Soul.

I smile as he looks in my direction.

“Leaving already?” He says. “That was rather quick compared to the last few visits.”

“Small thing to deliver this time,” I shrug. I start walking to leave. “Well, I’m off. See ya later, Alligator!”

“In a while, Crocodile.” He says in his usual monotone voice.

I freeze for a moment, pretty damn surprised by that.

I grin and keep moving.

Copyright © 2019 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 5
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The song is by Bill Haley and the Comets and the lyric goes, "See you later, alligator; after 'while crocodile."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..