Jump to content
    kbois
  • Author
  • 6,114 Words
  • 4,337 Views
  • 184 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shadow Effect - 36. Chapter 36

Moving on......

It’s not that he didn’t like Tyler’s music. He honestly did. Elijah just needed a break. Something which didn’t look very likely.

For the last two days, he and Tyler spent nearly all their time in the barn. Ashton and Austin responded best to Tyler’s music no matter what they tried. The twins slowly re-establish the connection between their wolves and their humanity.

Members of Giles’ pack showed up periodically, nonchalantly strolling in and shifting without warning. At first, it startled the twins. They bared their teeth and growled. A few sharp reprimands from the older wolves put a stop to it. Giles said it was a good sign.

It was getting easier to pick up on their mates' non-verbal cues. Elijah noticed how Ashton tilted his head ever so slightly to the right when he was interested in something he or Tyler said, while Austin tilted his head to the left.

Yesterday, they called the Laramees to update them. They were in Montana, anxiously awaiting their sons’ arrival. Sebastian thought it best they didn’t see their boys in a cage. Now that it was evident they weren’t truly feral, and everyone was doing their part to help them.

The barn door opened, and Giles came in. “Hello, boys,” he greeted. “I want to try something different. When I give you the signal, I want you to open the gate so I can go in with them. I think they’re ready for some face-to-face interaction.”

“Okay,” Elijah replied. “If you think it will help, we’re onboard.”

Tyler nodded and took his position.

Giles shifted, then paced along the bars closest to the twins for a couple of minutes. The twins watched but didn’t react. Nudging the gate to the enclosure, he let out a curt bark. Elijah turned the lock to let in the Alpha.

He and Tyler looked on as Giles’ wolf stood in front of the hybrids. The twins’ ears twitched in tandem, and their noses flared as the Alpha’s scent permeated the air. For several seconds, nothing happened. Then, in silent mutual agreement, the twins dropped to the ground and lay on their backs.

Giles’ wolf licked each one’s face and allowed them to rub their heads against his neck. Then, in an un-Alpha-like move, Giles dropped into the classic let’s play stance; front legs down, butt up, tail wagging. Ashton and Austin chuffed in surprise.

Elijah and Tyler laughed as they watched Giles’ wolf wrestle with the twins like they were young pups. The rough-housing lasted until Giles barked sharply, instantly halting the activity. Giles shifted back and affectionately patted each twin on the back.

“Okay, boys, I’ve got to go. You’re doing great. I’m going to borrow your mates for a few minutes. Settle down now,” he instructed before exiting the enclosure and getting dressed. “Come outside with me for a few minutes,” he addressed Elijah and Tyler.

Once outside, Elijah asked, “What just happened in there?”

Giles smiled. “A major breakthrough. They allowed me to scent-mark them. It’s a sign their wolves accept me as an Alpha. I’m sure they know I’m not their permanent Alpha, but rubbing their heads against me shows they recognize my status. It’s common among wolves to show their respect to an Alpha other than their own in such a way.”

“Is that why you horsed around with them?” asked Tyler.

“Yes. They needed some normal wolf interaction. Especially considering what’s happening next. Sebastian has the charter all set up for this afternoon. We’re going to give them light sedation. I think they’ve made enough progress, so that’s all that will be necessary. They’ll have to skip lunch. I’m sure you don’t want either of them reacting to the drugs and getting airsick.”

Elijah saw Tyler make a face at that thought. “No, we don’t want that. Hey, do you have a few minutes to talk?”

“Do I even need to ask what’s on your mind?” Giles stated.

“Probably not, but I’ll say it anyway. Caleb. Do you know what’s going on with him? He looks like a completely different man than the one I knew in Montana, not just physically.”

“I’m not really sure,” Giles replied. “He mostly keeps to himself. He seems to prefer the company of horses and cattle over shifters or humans. It’s rare to see him at any meal. I’m worried about him too. I’ve mentioned several times that there are therapists he can talk to. I’m not super computer savvy, but even I know how to get on a Zoom or FaceTime call.”

“Would you mind if we went to see him before we leave?”

“Not at all. Maybe you can get through to him. I’ll meet you at my place.”

“We can try,” Elijah offered. “I’m gonna let the twins know we’ll be gone for a little bit.”

“Actually, why don’t I stay here?” Tyler offered. “Have Ben and Zev go with you. You guys know Caleb better. I’ll sit with the twins and keep them occupied until it’s time to leave.”

“Okay,” Elijah agreed. He and Tyler went back into the barn. As soon as he reassured Ashton he would be back shortly, his mate extended his right hand and reached out for him. Instinctively, Elijah took a step forward and took his hand out. A small jolt zipped through him as they touched for the first time. Ashton’s lips curled back, and he let out a slight whine. Elijah now knew that the lip gesture was Ashton’s way of smiling. He smiled back, still holding Ashton’s hand, and gave it a gentle squeeze before letting go. His scar felt warm.

Progress was measured in little moments like these.

Not to be outdone, Austin reached out with his left hand, and Tyler’s face split into a wide smile as he got his first touch too. Elijah knew how much it meant to his friend. He was always the more demonstrative of them when it came to physical contact. For as far back as he could remember, Tyler was the one who reached out a hand or pressed a knee or shoulder against his. He had a keen instinct to know when Elijah needed a hug. That instinct naturally transferred to his mate.

Ben and Zev were in the kitchen helping Corbin put away the last breakfast dishes when Elijah approached them about seeing Caleb.

Zev draped the dish towel over his shoulder and leaned his hip against the sink. “Ben and I were thinking the same thing. I talked with Giles last night, and it sounds like Caleb is severely depressed. Maybe there’s something we can do to help.”

“I hope so,” Ben added.

The ride to Giles’ pack house was quick. Stuart met them in the driveway and gave directions to Caleb’s place. The cabin house was a couple of miles down a hard-packed dirt road. It was small but well-kept. A buckskin horse stood at the rails of a corral, its tail swishing side to side, looking at them as they got out of the truck. A miniature donkey brayed a greeting, announcing their arrival.

Caleb came out. The courteous smile he gave didn’t reach his eyes. “Hello, boys,” he greeted, his voice flat and neutral.

It was a far cry from the outgoing Alpha Elijah encountered when he first got to Montana. Granted, he really hadn’t spent much time with Caleb, but he saw a lot of him. It didn’t matter who he was with; Caleb always seemed to be extroverted, at least until the last few weeks before all hell broke loose. No, this Caleb was a shell of who he once was, at least from what Elijah could tell. The look of shock on Zev and Ben’s faces confirmed it.

“Hey, Caleb,” Elijah said.

Ben and Zev echoed the greeting, still processing the current condition of their former Alpha.

“What brings you here?”

Zev smiled wryly. “I think you can guess.”

Elijah saw Caleb’s brow furrow as he drew in a breath as if steeling himself for what was to come. “Yeah, I kinda figured you would stop by. How are things with your mates?”

“Getting better, thanks,” he replied, not adding anything else. Elijah saw right through his attempt at deflecting the conversation.

“Never mind the hybrids right now. What the fuck is going on with you?” Zev asked pointedly.

Caleb’s lips tightened. “My head’s not in the game, Zev. Let’s just leave it at that. Don’t you worry about me. I can take care of myself.”

“You’re doing a pretty piss-poor job of it,” Zev retorted.

“It’s really none of your business anymore, now, is it?” Caleb shot back.

Elijah glanced nervously at Ben. This conversation was starting to slide downhill fast. They needed to put a halt to its direction before it deteriorated into an avalanche of destruction.

“Zev, back off,” Ben reprimanded. “Caleb has every right to take care of himself however he sees fit, even if we disagree. He’s not your Alpha anymore.” It was the wrong thing to say.

“Yeah, listen to your mate, Zev. I’m not your Alpha anymore, am I?” Caleb spat out, obviously not needing a reminder of his stripped status.

Elijah stepped in. “Caleb, they didn’t mean to disrespect you. We’re all worried about you. Honestly, you don’t look well, and it’s concerning.”

Caleb seemed to back down at Elijah’s statement. “Look, right now, I just want to be left alone. Nothing against any of you, but you have no idea what’s going on with me, and I prefer to keep it that way. I fucked up big time, and I’m dealing with it.”

Zev and Ben averted their gaze, backing off their lecture.

“I’m sorry, Caleb. It’s been hard on a lot of us, too,” Zev admitted. “We miss you—all of us. Sebastian is a great Alpha, but you were too. If it helps to know, we’ve all forgiven you. I appreciate everything you did for me when I was growing up. You were like a big brother to me.”

“Thank you, Zev. I appreciate your sentiments, but I haven’t forgiven myself. I don’t know if I ever can.”

“Giles said he can help arrange for you to talk with a therapist. Maybe you should consider his offer?” Elijah asked carefully.

“I have, but I’m not there yet. I need time. I want to be alone for a while.”

“When was the last time you shifted?” Zev asked.

Caleb’s eyebrows drew together in a slight scowl. “It’s been a while,” he confessed.

“Have you shifted at all since you left Montana?”

The deep red blush that flooded Caleb’s neck gave them the answer none of them wanted. Even Elijah knew it wasn’t suitable for a shifter not to give his wolf a chance to run, some freedom to be a wolf every once in a while. It wasn’t good to stay in wolf form for long periods, either. There had to be a balance, just like with everything else. If not, one’s energy is disrupted, and things like depression and anxiety could worsen.

“You know you can't suppress your wolf,” Zev reminded him. “It’s not good for either of you. We’re not going to push you, Caleb, but you should consider talking to someone. If you can’t do that, then at least shift.”

Caleb gave him a curt nod.

“We’ll get out of your hair now. I am going to ask you a favor, though, before we leave. Please shift soon. I also want you to check in a little more often with your friend, Luke, is it? If not him, then Giles,” Zev implored, holding Caleb’s gaze.

Caleb looked away before giving Zev a quick nod. That one action spoke volumes. The old Caleb would have stared Zev down until he averted his eyes and bared his neck in respect.

“I’ll try,” he responded sadly.

Zev stepped into Caleb’s personal space and placed his hand on his former Alpha’s shoulder. He bared his neck, then leaned in and whispered something to his former Alpha. Caleb’s eyes shone with unshed tears as Zev pulled back.

Ben stayed out of Caleb’s personal space, but he, too, bared his neck in respect. Elijah extended his hand and was pleased when Caleb grasped it firmly.

“We’ll keep in touch, Caleb,” Zev promised.

Caleb smiled a little more warmly this time before retreating into his house as they got in the truck.

“What did you say to him?” Elijah asked as they pulled away.

“I told him Vann was doing okay.”

The return to the ranch was spent in companionable silence. As they approached, they saw Giles in the yard. Zev pulled up alongside a large Ford F-350 with a big trailer behind it. A tall man with white hair was standing at the corral fence with his back to them.

Elijah was surprised when he turned around to walk toward his truck. Given the white hair, he expected someone older, but this guy was young, maybe in his mid-thirties, and surprisingly good-looking. He reminded him a little of Reilly, although Reilly’s hair was more white-blond rather than true white. Zev and Ben focused on Giles as he approached the driver’s side.

“How’d it go?” Giles asked.

“Not great, but I asked him to check in with you more often. Will you call us if he seems to get worse?” Zev asked.

“Of course,” Giles assured them. “It’s always busy around here, but I’ll have Luke check on him more often. I’ll be more attentive, too.”

“I hate to cut this short,” Ben interrupted, “but we need to get back to Corbin’s place. We have to help get the twins ready for the flight.”

“I sent Stuart over with Luke,” Giles said. “He’ll administer the sedative when it’s time. Good luck, boys.”

Elijah leaned across his friends so he could see Giles. “Thank you for everything, especially what you and your pack did to help, with the shifting exposure and all. It did help. Tyler and I appreciate it. One more favor? Can you make sure Corbin is okay? He had to deal with everything alone for so long, and he deserves to know more about shifters.”

“Of course. He’s welcome here anytime. I hope the flight home goes smoothly. I need to get going. Asa, our farrier, is here to shoe a few horses and trim some of the herd. We have more than usual today. Y'all take care now.” Giles bade them farewell with a wave as he walked toward the guy with the white hair.

They were halfway back to Corbin’s before anyone spoke.

“Sebastian’s not going to like what we have to tell him about Caleb,” Ben remarked.

“Nope,” Zev agreed. “I think he’ll be in touch with Giles a little more often. I wish we could do more, but forcing help onto someone never works. He has to want it.”

Corbin’s place was bustling with activity when they returned. A full-size cargo van was parked near the barn. Elijah waved at Stuart and Luke as they arranged some foam padding. Despite his initial brusqueness, Stuart had been a big help in reinforcing shifter etiquette with the twins.

Elijah jumped down from the truck and returned to the barn. Ashton’s face lit up when he caught sight of him. It made Elijah smile.

“Hey, you’re back!” Tyler exclaimed, halting his guitar playing.

Ashton reached through the bars, and this time Elijah didn’t hesitate to grab hold of his hand. The fur along the back felt soft. He wondered if the rest was the same. Tentatively, he reached up further, running his hand along Ashton’s arm. Yep, just as soft. Ashton gave a soft whimper. Elijah looked into his eyes, one blue, one green. So stunning.

Even though Elijah had gotten used to his mate’s unusual appearance, he was still in awe at how unusually beautiful Ashton was, even in hybrid form. His facial features retained enough human qualities that it was easy to picture the carefree boy he was in the pictures in the Laramee’s house.

“Your mom and dad are waiting in Montana for you,” Elijah told them. “Are you excited to see them?”

Ashton chuffed, then let out a sharp bark, which Austin copied.

“Good. I know they’re excited to see you, too. It won’t be long now. I’m going to check with Stuart and Luke to see if we can get ready soon, okay?”

Both twins drew their lips back, baring their teeth in the now familiar smile. Tyler followed him outside.

“How did it go with Caleb?”

Elijah gave him the details of their short visit. “So yeah, not great news, but he has people to keep an eye on him, at least.”

Just then, Zev and Ben came out of the house with all of their things. Elijah was grateful they took it upon themselves to gather up clothing and toiletries. The shifters were going to drive the two vans back to Montana so Tyler, and he could fly with their mates. As soon as the vans were packed, they returned to the barn. It was time to get the show on the road.

Stuart handed him and Tyler each a pill pocket used to give dogs medication. “Chicken flavor.” The Beta smiled as the twins’ noses flared at the enticing scent. Elijah reached through the bars with his palm up, medication in the center. Ashton stepped close, gently taking it with his mouth, his lips brushing Elijah’s skin, sending goosebumps up his arm. Tyler did the same for Austin.

Ten minutes later, Ashton and Austin began yawning. They were groggy but still alert. It was time to go. Corbin stood to the side as he and Tyler supported their mates, escorting them to the van.

Once they were settled comfortably, Elijah turned to the man who sacrificed so much to keep the twins safe. “Thank you for everything. You’re a remarkable man, Corbin. Sebastian has extended an open invitation any time you want to visit. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you need anything. We’re in your debt.”

“Take good care of them. I promise I’ll keep in touch.” Corbin closed the door to the van, thumped it softly, and stepped back, raising a hand as Stuart drove away.

Elijah looked at his mate, half asleep, slumped to one side, resting shoulder to shoulder with Austin, and smiled.

“Are you ready for this?” Tyler asked.

He turned to face his best friend. “As ready as I’ll ever be.”

 

*****

 

Ashton was dreaming. He was with Austin, playing catch in their backyard. Something in the forest behind them smelled incredible. It was woodsy, with a hint of peanuts and sugar, as if Mom made peanut butter cookies over an open fire. His wolf wanted to run and find the source.

Voices murmured in the background, pulling him closer.

Ashton? Ashton, wake up. It’s Mom. Please wake up, baby.

Mom? It couldn’t be. Mom was part of a world he didn’t exist in anymore. He didn’t know how to get back there.

Ashton? Come on, sweetie. Your mate is waiting for you to wake up.

Mate? Ashton’s wolf pushed forward, growling low in his throat. His eyes fluttered, reluctant to allow in the light.

“That’s it,” Mom’s voice coaxed. “Wake up.”

Ashton opened his eyes. He blinked rapidly, focusing on the stranger in front of him. No. Not a stranger. As her features became clear, Ashton’s confusion abated. Her nearly forgotten but all-too-familiar scent assaulted his sensitive nose, and his wolf lunged forward, engulfing the now-crying woman.

Mom! It was really his mom! His wolf yipped with joy. He threw his head back and howled. Another voice joined him. Austin!

He loosened his grip on Mom and looked around. Austin was plastered against their dad, rubbing his head on the man’s shoulder. Tears streamed down Dad’s face. Ashton tugged Mom’s hand until they reached the other half of their family.

Dad pulled him in with one arm, squeezing as if he would never let go. It became a family hug-fest, tears of happiness flowing freely. For several minutes, he and Austin whined with pure joy.

Gradually, another scent permeated his senses. It was the woodsy-peanuty smell from his dream. His wolf wanted more, forcing him to pull away from his family’s embrace. He tried pushing the beast back, unsuccessfully. The animal’s keen sense of smell homed in on two men standing in the doorway to the room. One sniff confirmed the one on the right was his. The other was Austin’s.

Elijah. Mate! He stalked across the room. As he neared his mate, he saw another man approaching. Immediately, he raised his hackles and growled a warning. Stay away! Mine!

The large figure stepped in front of his mate, blocking his way. No! Ashton bared his teeth and let out a warning bark.

The intruder shifted, replaced by a massive wolf with the most unusual coloring. Alpha. This wolf was an Alpha. Ashton’s human side tried to make his wolf back off, but the animal ignored him, focused only on their mate. The growling intensified.

The Alpha wolf bared his teeth, a clear warning—one which his wolf continued to ignore. Next to him, he could sense Austin fighting a similar internal battle with his wolf. It was an all-too-familiar scenario that played out many times during their captivity. Now their wolves tasted freedom and were harder to control.

Further complicating matters was the lingering brain fog from the medicine. Ashton’s thought process felt like it was slogging through thick mud to sort out what was happening.

Before he could clear the confusion, the massive Alpha was crowding him and Austin, forcibly pushing them back. A distinct bark thundered in their ears. SETTLE! Ashton could not ignore the command, even if he tried. He sank to his knees, Austin dropping next to him, and they bared their throats to the commanding wolf.

The wolf shifted, and the imposing man spoke gently. “It’s alright, boys. You’re safe. No one will hurt you or keep you from your mates or family. I’m Sebastian McTire. You’re at my lodge. We’ll help if you’ll let us, okay?”

Ashton nodded. His wolf still wanted to be near his mate and let out a soft whimper. The Alpha motioned to Elijah and Tyler. As soon as his mate was next to him, the beast calmed. Ashton reached out tentatively. With no barrier, he felt an overwhelming urge to touch the other man.

“Hey, Ashton. That was a rough flight we had. How are you feeling? Still groggy?” Elijah asked.

He nodded. Ashton didn’t remember much of the flight. Whatever they gave him made the details fuzzy. He had a vague recollection of turbulence, which his wolf didn’t like one bit.

“I’m sorry,” Elijah continued. “We had to knock you guys out. The flight got bumpy, and your wolves started freaking out. It wasn’t safe.”

“Well, it’s over now,” Mom declared. She stepped closer, slowly, not wanting to upset his wolf. Ashton stood up and hugged her.

“I think we should have Donovan look at you both,” Sebastian said. “He’s our pack doctor. Then I’ll show you where you’ll be staying. Is that alright with you guys?”

Ashton’s brow drew together in confusion. He wanted to ask the Alpha why he needed their permission. In eight years, no one had asked for his consent for anything. He was property. He belonged to whoever owned them. Obeying orders was the first lesson beaten into them.

His mate must have sensed his distress. Elijah touched his shoulder gently. “No one will ever force you to do anything you don’t want to. You always have a choice. If it matters, I think you should let Donovan have a quick once-over. Will you do that?”

Ashton needed to ask his mate to stay with him. Without human vocal cords, he didn’t know how. Hooking his curled fingers over his mate’s arm, he tugged.

“Do you want me to go with you?”

He nodded, pulling his lips back in what he hoped passed for a smile. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw yet another person approach. The shifter was holding two flat objects. He stopped next to Sebastian and stood on tip-toes to kiss the man’s cheek, whispering something to him.

“Good thinking,” Sebastian responded before taking the items from the man. “Ashton, Austin, this is my mate, Reilly. He brought you each a tablet. They’re pre-programmed so you can communicate better. Your mates can show you and your parents how they work.”

Ashton’s ears perked up with curiosity. Elijah took a tablet from the Alpha while Tyler took the other. Grinning, they sat on the couch in the middle. Austin sat next to Tyler and took his place next to Elijah. Mom and Dad settled in the chairs on the other side of the coffee table.

Elijah set the oversized tablet on the low table. “Tap here,” he instructed.

Ashton looked at his deformed fingers, curled up like he was holding onto something. How was he supposed to use it when he couldn’t unlock his fingers? A grunt of frustration escaped.

“Here.” Elijah gently took his hand and turned it so it was palm-side up. Guiding his hand, he tapped one of Ashton’s knuckles on the screen. It lit up instantly. Comprehension dawned. It was a touch screen. All he needed to do was make contact. The home screen showed an icon of a keyboard and a picture frame.

“If you tap the picture frame icon, it will give a menu of photos of common items or phrases you want. See, look.” Elijah tapped the icon, and several items appeared. A knife, fork, toilet, bed, and television were a few.

“If you swipe the screen up,” Tyler added, “it shows the word instead. The younger kids prefer the pictures, but it gets the message across.”

“Speaking of messages,” Elijah said, swiping left to return to the main screen. “If you want to type out a message, hit the keyboard, and you can use that.”

Tears welled in his eyes as the implication hit. He could talk. He and Austin could communicate. They weren’t going to be treated like dumb animals anymore. Images of what they endured before Corbin kidnapped them flashed through his mind. He quickly pushed them back. It was not a good place to be.

Elijah pushed the tablet in front of him. He looked up and saw his mom and dad watching them. Their eyes were full of hope. He tapped the keyboard icon and, using his knuckles, typed three words, then turned the screen toward his parents.

I missed you

Mom gasped, and her hands flew up to cover her face as she broke down and sobbed. He jumped up and dropped to his knees in front of her, throwing his arms around the woman who meant the world to him. Austin came over and did the same for Dad.

Once everyone settled down again, he and Austin spent an hour taking turns tapping out questions for their mom and dad. They asked about their friends, and were happy, yet sad to hear of their accomplishments. It hurt to think of all the milestones they missed.

Sebastian reappeared. “I’m sorry to interrupt, but dinner will be ready in an hour. Donovan would like to give you a quick look over if it’s okay?”

He glanced at his brother. Together, they nodded.

“Boys, your mom and I will meet you when you’re done. I’m sure you must be hungry now that all the medication has worn off,” Dad remarked.

During their reunion, Ashton hadn’t given food a second thought. Now, his belly grumbled in protest.

Elijah offered his hand. “Come on. We’ll show you the way to Donovan’s clinic.”

Ashton reached for his mate’s hand, trembling slightly. Doctors and clinics didn’t hold good memories for either him or Austin.

Elijah gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. “Try not to worry. Donovan is a good guy. He’ll explain everything he’s doing, and if you’re not comfortable, he’ll stop.” His mate scooped up the tablet before nodding to Ashton’s parents.

The clinic wasn’t far. Donovan greeted him and Austin warmly. “Hello, boys. This won’t take long. I promise.”

The doctor led them into an exam room. Ashton looked at his brother when he turned his back to wash his hands. Together, they started to pull their shirts over their heads.

“Oh! No, boys. You don’t need to undress. I’m just going to get some vitals, look you over and draw some blood if you agree.”

Weren’t they going to get poked and prodded? He was confused. Someone always gave them a thorough exam whenever he and Austin were sold. One of which always required them to strip down to be pinched and poked all over.

Elijah gently reached out to touch his face, placing his hand on his cheek to coax him to look his way. “Hey, remember, no one will hurt you again. I’ll make sure of it.”

Ashton reached up to cover Elijah’s hand with his own. It had been such a long time since he felt someone touch him with affection. A similar scenario played out between Austin and Tyler.

Donovan cleared his throat. “I’m ready when you are. Go ahead and sit on the table. You’ll both fit.”

Austin hopped up first, and Donovan handed him a thermometer to hold under his tongue. Ashton settled next to his brother and slid the cool metal probe into his mouth. So far, so good.

Thankfully, Donovan did everything that was promised. He explained what he needed and was looking for as he went through the exam. In addition to their temperatures, Donovan recorded their blood pressure and weight. He looked inside their ears, in their mouths, and up their noses. Every change to their appearance was noted. Overall, it wasn’t an unpleasant experience, unlike many others they’d endured. Through it all, Elijah stood by his side, never wavering or judging.

“Everything looks good. All that’s left is to draw some blood. Then you’re done,” Donovan assured them.

Ashton wasn’t a fan of needles, but he held still as the doctor jabbed the vein he coaxed to the surface and filled two vials with the red stuff. Austin was next, and they were free to go in less than five minutes. He tapped out ‘thank you’ on his tablet. Austin pointed and nodded.

As they left the exam room and entered the reception area, Austin stopped short in front of him, causing Ashton to bump into his brother. He grunted his annoyance, ready to shove his sibling out of the way when his twin pointed. He grinned when he caught sight of what Austin was pointing to.

Donovan laughed and stepped behind the desk, taking a candy jar filled with lollipops off the shelf and offering it to them. “Here, just don’t spoil your dinner,” he teased.

“I won't tell your mom,” Elijah whispered. The feel of his mate’s breath close to his ear made him shiver.

Ashton snagged an orange sucker while Austin took a purple one. Elijah and Tyler declined, both smiling at their mates.

It didn’t matter if no one tattled to Mom. They were busted the moment she and Dad came into the dining room. Orange and purple lips were a dead giveaway.

Instinctively, Ashton hid the sticky lollipop stick behind his back.

“Give,” Mom instructed with a teasing laugh as she held out her hand and kissed his cheek, then repeated the move with Austin. She never missed a trick. He handed over the bare stem, now devoid of candy, with his wolfy version of a cheeky grin.

Sebastian and his mate, Reilly, joined them for dinner. Mom and Dad brought out his and Austin’s favorites; fried chicken for him and roast beef for Austin. His mouth watered at the tempting aromas.

Corbin had tried, but with the lack of communication, most meals consisted of sandwiches or food which could be consumed without utensils. Luckily, their mates were more than willing to assist in cutting up the meat for them.

Sebastian watched. Ashton got the impression he was thinking two steps ahead.

Elijah leaned toward him. “Sebastian has a team who helps make adaptive equipment for all the hybrids,” he explained. “They’ve customed-made braces for everyone who needs them. It’s allowed the other pups to be more independent. If there is something that will make things easier for you and Austin, he’ll have his team create it. He’s a good Alpha.”

By the time coffee and dessert were brought out, Ashton felt the effects of the busy day. He couldn’t help yawning as his mom placed a piece of pie in front of him. “Finish up, sweetie. We can catch up some more tomorrow,” she told him.

Elijah leaned over as soon as the last bite had been scraped clean from his plate. “Are you ready to see your new place?”

He nodded. Austin was also finished, so Mom shooed them off. Sluggishly, with a full belly, he followed his mate down the hall to an elevator.

“Sebastian gave us one of the large suites,” Elijah said. “Tyler and I will stay there too if you and Austin don’t mind. If not, there are other rooms we can use. Your mom and dad are on the same floor, on the opposite end.

The elevator brought them to the fourth and topmost floor. Elijah and Tyler led the way to the end of the hall. His mate unlocked the door and led the way. Ashton was awed by the space.

The entryway opened into a large living room. Tyler flipped the switches for the lights, revealing a dining room and kitchen on the far side. Four bedrooms, two on each side of the living room, could be seen through the open doors. A long island with bar seating separated the kitchen from the living room.

Ashton knew nothing about decor, but he knew the suite had been built with quality materials and appliances. It even smelled high-end.

“Um, you and Austin can pick the rooms you’d like,” Elijah said. “Tyler and I will take whatever you don’t want.”

Ashton looked in the bedroom closest to him. It was connected to the room beside it by a shared bathroom. The other bedroom was a mirror image. He never imagined having a room of his own. He and Austin had shared their entire lives, even when Mom offered to decorate the guest room for one of them.

The room he chose had a king bed, matching dresser, and nightstand. Opening a door, he discovered a massive closet with several pairs of jeans and some shirts.

“Sebastian and your mom bought clothes for you and Austin,” Elijah remarked. “We can go online and order more tomorrow if you’d like. I–uh, I’ll let you get ready for bed. You look tired. There’s a new toothbrush in the bathroom for you. I’ll take the other bedroom. It looks like Austin is okay with Tyler across the way.”

Ashton grunted and tapped his tablet to wake it up. He typed out a message.

Stay with me?

Elijah’s eyes widened comically. He tapped the keyboard again.

Just sleep?

His mate’s eyes softened. “Okay.” Elijah smiled. “Tomorrow, we’ll have to talk. There’s a lot we need to discuss. Sebastian explained a good deal to me while you were unconscious. He wants to sit down with all of us. But it can wait. Yes, I’ll sleep with you. There’s nothing I’d like better.”

Ashton used the bathroom first, discovering a unique toothbrush with a hairbrush-like handle he could hold easily. Before relinquishing the bathroom to his mate, he donned a pair of the softest sleep pants he had ever felt.

The covers were pulled down, so Ashton slid into the right side of the big bed. His mate joined him a few minutes later, bringing the smell of minty toothpaste. It overpowered the woodsy, peanutty scent he’d come to associate with Elijah, but Ashton knew it was temporary.

Elijah turned off the light next to the bed. They lay there awkwardly, side by side, in the dark, neither daring to move. Finally, Ashton flipped to his side, then scooted up against his mate. He could feel Elijah smile as his lips touched the back of his head.

Content, he closed his eyes, feeling safe for the first time in over eight years. He had to face so much, but it could wait until tomorrow. Tonight he was where he belonged.

Let me know what you think. As usual reactions are welcome and comments are a given. Have at it!
Copyright © 2022 kbois; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 101
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Thanks for coming along for this ride!
As always, if you're enjoying the story please make sure to hit a REACTION button, COMMENT, and most of all, RECOMMEND! 
I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..