Jump to content
    kbois
  • Author
  • 5,423 Words
  • 4,203 Views
  • 163 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shadow Effect - 37. Chapter 37

I wasn't sure if this was going to post on time, but thankfully the stars aligned.

What a day! Tyler felt grateful to witness the reunion between Austin and his parents. He’d been on edge during the flight when they hit turbulence halfway through. The twins’ reactions were frightening; snapping and snarling as their wolves pushed forward. If Elijah hadn’t handed him a hypodermic needle loaded with a fast-acting tranquilizer, there was no telling what might have happened.

It was heartwarming to see Austin’s expression when he recognized his dad. Family was important, and seeing the Laramees together again filled Tyler with the same sense of joy he felt when he was together with his parents and siblings.

“Come on, let’s get you tucked in,” Tyler said when Austin returned from taking his turn in the bathroom. It was the first night sleeping together, so Tyler let Austin choose which side of the bed he wanted. He chuckled to himself when his mate gravitated to the left. Moments of discovery like this one made him happy. He wanted to learn everything he could about the man poised to become one of the most influential persons in his life.

“I’ll be right back.” Not wanting to leave Austin alone for too long, he quickly used the bathroom, climbed into the right side of the bed, and lay facing his mate. Damn, he’d have to get used to that word. It was one more thing to look forward to.

Tyler’s heart sped anxiously as they looked at each other across the expanse. He held his breath as Austin made the first move, scooching over until he was in the middle of the big bed. His gorgeous dual-colored eyes silently sought assurance. Tyler closed the distance, interlocking their fingers as best he could. It was a start.

He couldn’t help himself as he reached up with his free hand to smooth back the soft fur on the top of Austin’s head. The strands were like silk between his fingers. A low, almost purr-like sound rumbled from the center of his chest. Tentatively, Tyler leaned forward and ghosted his lips over his mate’s forehead. Austin’s breathing hitched. It was enough for now.

After turning off the bedside lamp, they lay there for several minutes, listening to each other breathe. It wasn’t long before the day caught up to them and the gentle vibrations of Austin’s soft snoring lulled Tyler to sleep.

A faint sound woke him. The room wasn’t completely dark. The pale dimness of early dawn shrouded the window. Austin was still sound asleep. The noise that woke him rustled again. Tyler quietly got up and used the bathroom. He figured the sound must be Elijah. His friend never slept well when he was stressed. This whole situation was one giant stress test.

Sure enough, Elijah was in the kitchen, pouring coffee. Seeing Tyler, he reached for another mug and slid it toward him.

“That went better than expected,” Elijah commented, sounding as weary as he felt.

“I don’t know about you, but I’m still a little freaked out over all of this.”

Elijah plopped himself down on the couch and patted the seat next to him, which Tyler sunk into wearily. “What freaks you out the most?”

“Everything.”

“Bro, you gotta give me more than that. Are you still afraid of dick amputation?”

Tyler snorted. “That’s part of it, I guess. But mostly, it’s the unknown. What am I supposed to do about my family? How the fuck do I break it to Mama that she has a shifter-in-law instead of a son-in-law?”

Elijah shook his head. “I don’t have an answer for you, Ty. Why don’t you ask Sebastian when we see him later? He said he had more things he needed to discuss.”

“You’re right. I feel so out of my league here. It’s like I’ve been given sheet music for a piano concerto and handed a violin. What am I supposed to do with that?”

“When you put it that way, I can see what you mean.” Elijah drained his coffee and got up to pour another, topping off Tyler’s mug when he held it up.

Sitting down again, Elijah continued. “Ty, your parents are two of the most accepting people I know. Never once have they outright rejected anyone you or your brothers and sister have brought home. They might not have approved a few of the dates that walked through the doors, but regardless of how they felt, they made everyone feel welcome. They love you, and they will love Austin and Ashton too.”

Tyler sighed and leaned into his best friend. “You’re right. I need to have faith. I’m sure after the initial shock, Mama will go all Spanish Inquisition mode and start interrogating both of them to find out their favorite foods.”

Elijah laughed and hugged Tyler tight.

“So, what has you up so early?” Tyler asked. “You look like shit.”

“The same worries as you. Not so much breaking the news to Mama and Papi, but where we go from here. As much as my body wants Ashton to claim it, logically, I don’t think I’m ready. How do I explain it to him without his wolf feeling rejected?”

“I was thinking the exact same thing last night. I guess we do have a lot to discuss with Sebastian. How did everything get so complicated?”

Just then, they heard shuffling sounds coming from both twins’ rooms. A moment later, Austin appeared, looking adorable. The fur on top of his head was tousled, and he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes with the heel of his hands.

“Good morning,” Tyler said, getting up to hug Austin. “Coffee?”

Austin nodded. Tyler poured two cups, one for his mate and one for Ashton, who came out of his room grinding his eyes as Austin had. Elijah greeted him before heading into the kitchen to scrounge up something for breakfast.

After they ate, Austin took his tablet and typed out, what do you want to do today? If there was ever a statement proving testimony to his humanity's return, it was that.

“Elijah and I need to meet with Sebastian. Would you like to come with us or spend some time with your mom and dad?”

Austin tapped his knuckles on Tyler’s chest, then smiled shyly.

Tyler gave him a reassuring smile. “Okay.”

“I’ll text him and see if he’s available, and if so, when,” Elijah said.

Sebastian replied that he had time in a couple of hours. He asked if it would be alright to have Rosalie and Silas there.

Tyler nodded. He didn’t mind at all. Maybe they could shed some light on the situation and be able to give them some sound advice.

They went outside for a couple of hours leading up to their meeting. The weather was warm, with the barest hint of the crispness of fall just around the corner. It was a nice change from the searing Texas heat.

Tyler laughed as Austin and Ashton tumbled with each other, play-fighting the way wolves do in the wild. It looked vicious, but Zev and Ben assured them it was normal. The dynamic duo joined them on the back porch as the twins enjoyed burning some energy. It was a joy to see them come out of their shells.

“How did things go last night?” Ben asked.

“All things considered, not bad. Austin and Ashton chose to sleep with us, separately, of course,” Tyler admitted.

“Whoa! That could have been dangerous,” Zev declared, giving him a concerned look.

“How?”

“Your mates haven’t been in full control of their wolves in a long time. You have no idea how strong the mate pull can be. If their wolves decided to push themselves forward, well, they could force the mating claim. You could have been hurt.”

Tyler’s mouth hung slack. He hadn’t thought about it that way. Elijah looked at him nervously. It was easy to see his friend hadn’t considered the possibility, either.

“It would be a good idea to discuss this with Sebastian,” Zev continued. “He might have some suggestions.”

“We’re going to see him shortly,” Elijah replied. “Tyler and I didn’t think things through last night. We were all tired, and it clouded our judgment. You make a good point.”

“Why don’t we head over there now?” Tyler asked, uneasy with the idea they could have inadvertently made a grave mistake. It was nearly time to leave anyway. Sebastian wouldn’t mind if they were a few minutes early.

“We need to go back to the lodge,” Zev said. “You can ride with us if you’d like.”

“Thanks, that would be great,” Elijah replied.

Tyler called to his mate, “Austin!”

Austin and Ashton stopped their roughhousing and loped over.

“It’s time to go, okay?”

The twins nodded, Ashton moving to stand closer to Elijah. They gathered the twins’ tablets and followed Zev and Ben to their minivan. It seemed the couple had become attached to the tricked-out vehicles they’d spent so much time in on the road.

Tyler briefly wondered who would take their place, searching for more missing hybrids. There was no way he was leaving Austin. He knew Elijah felt the same about Ashton. It was a decision that would fall under Sebastian’s responsibility.

The Alpha was in his office when they arrived at the main house. He looked up and smiled. “Hello, boys. I’m just about done. Rosalie and Silas are with Reilly in the living room. Why don’t you join them? I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

Rosalie’s face lit up when she saw them. “Oh my! Aren’t you handsome?” she gushed at the twins. Austin took a subtle half-step closer to him.

Elijah made the introductions, and everyone settled into seats to wait for Sebastian. Reilly got up and went to the kitchen. He came back with several bottles of water, which he offered. Tyler shook his head, but Austin reached out, snatching his hand back when he realized he couldn’t grasp it.

Without missing a beat, Reilly placed the bottle on the table next to Tyler. “I’ll set it here. Your mate can help you when you’re ready.”

Austin gave him a look of gratitude. Tyler glanced at his mate’s hands, fingers curled in a permanent gripping position. It reminded him of the disfigured hands of some of the elderly residents at the nursing home his high school band volunteered at, performing mini-concerts a few times during the school year. Afflictions, such as Parkinson’s, often cause similar deformities. He wondered if Austin and Ashton would benefit from some of the adaptive equipment those residents used, or if they could try to loosen the joints with some physical therapy. It was something else to discuss with Donovan.

Sebastian cleared his throat as he entered the room, taking a seat on the loveseat he preferred. Reilly settled next to him. “Thanks for coming over. I know you must have a lot of questions. I might not have all the answers, so that’s why I asked Rosalie and Silas to be here. How are things going for you?”

Elijah answered first. “So far, it’s been okay. The tablets have been wonderful. Ashton and I both appreciate being able to communicate effectively. I don’t know why we didn’t think of it when we were in Texas.”

“Probably because you were a little sidetracked, dear,” Rosalie answered.

“I agree,” said Silas. “So, now that you’re focused, let’s get to the real issue. Your mating.”

Leave it to a nearly seven-hundred-year-old shifter to cut to the chase.

Tyler swallowed, his palms moistening in response to the sudden anxiety surging through his system. “How’s this going to work?” he blurted.

Austin leaned into him, grasping Tyler’s hand as best he could.

“We don’t know,” answered Sebastian.

“What do you mean?” Elijah asked.

Austin let go of his hand and tapped the tablet to wake it up. He typed out a message with his knuckles, letting Tyler read it before turning the tablet to show the rest.

My wolf wants Tyler.

Tyler’s heart stuttered as he read the words. He felt torn. He wanted to accept Austin’s claim but knew he wasn’t ready. He didn’t know how to broach the subject.

Sebastian’s lips pursed as he read the message. “I understand, Austin. But right now, I think it’s best if your wolf waits.” He held up a hand as Austin looked as though he wanted to protest. “Hear me out. I’ve discussed this at length with Rosalie, Silas, and Donovan. While it’s not unheard of to have a true mate pair between an animal shifter and a shapeshifter, it's not very common.”

“Son,” Silas interjected. “In all my years on this earth, I’ve only encountered one such mating, and it was many, many years ago. If it was the only issue, I don’t think we would have a problem allowing you and your wolves to go through with the claiming, provided young Elijah and Tyler agreed. No, the issue is your hybrid state.”

Tyler felt Austin bristle beside him, and from Elijah’s sudden intake of breath, he guessed Ashton had a similar response.

“Boys, we think you should hold off for a while,” Sebastian continued, directly addressing Austin and Ashton. “The changes to your bodies were done on a cellular level. If you try to claim your mates, they could get hurt or even killed in the process. It might even be possible to pass on the hybridity to them. We just don’t know. I’d rather you not take the risk of finding out.”

Tyler sobered at the potential consequences. The web of complications was getting more tangled.

“Now, in the meantime, there’s nothing wrong with getting to know each other better, is there?” Rosalie asked diplomatically. Tyler tried to smile, but his mate wasn’t the only one feeling disappointed.

Austin tapped out another message: Tyler said you had people working on a cure. How is it going?

Sebastian sighed. “Not great. The scientists and researchers have been hitting walls with everything they’ve tried. They’ve traveled as far outside the box as they can go, with minimal results. The most progress made so far is lessening two pups' fur and retracting claws on a few others.”

More tapping from Austin. Have they looked inside the box? Sometimes the answer is in what we already know.

Damn, his mate was clever.

Sebastian nodded, his expression grim. “They’ve looked inside the box, outside the box, over, and underneath the damn box. Unfortunately, it’s like trying to make a pile of ashes turn back into a piece of wood.”

Tyler felt another wave of disappointment wash over him. Austin pressed his leg against him, offering silent comfort. Would they ever be able to complete their mating? Right now, the odds were looking astronomical. It would be much easier if someone could wave a magic wand. Wait! Maybe that’s it?

“What if the answer isn’t in science?” he exclaimed. All eyes turned to him.

“What do you mean?” Elijah asked.

“Your friend, Cassiel. He’s Fae, right? What if he can help? Can’t those fairies, or whatever they are, do magic? What if he can help?”

Silas spoke. “I’m afraid it doesn’t work that way. If it were Fae magic that caused the changes, it would be possible. The hybridization resulted from humans messing with hormones and gods only know what else.”

A silence descended over the group.

Tyler sighed in frustration. “You said the scientists made a little bit of progress. Is there something we can try that might help?”

“I’ll certainly speak to them. Donovan has been overseeing everyone’s medical care. From what I understand, all of the hybrids were given the opportunity to try the treatment. After the initial results showed little promise, most of the remaining pups declined. You’ll have to get more information from Donovan when you see him. But honestly, I wouldn’t get my hopes up if I were you.”

Tyler was even more frustrated now than he was a few minutes ago. He knew next to nothing when it came to science and biology. Why didn’t he pay more attention in school?

*****

Austin rapped his knuckles on the tablet again. He could feel the disappointment emanating from Tyler. His mate read the message aloud. "It will be ok. It’s chemistry. They have to follow the rules."

“What rules?" Tyler asked, brows drawn together. "I barely passed high school chemistry and never touched it in college.”

Austin typed another message: You don’t need college level for this. The Law of Conservation of Mass states that matter is neither created nor destroyed. No matter what they did to us, the building blocks of our structure remain the same. It’s just been rearranged. Sebastian’s researchers have to figure out how to get it back. Like a Rubik’s cube. All the colors need to line up in the correct order. Instead of fifty-four little squares, they must align millions of individual cells.

As Tyler relayed his message to everyone, Austin was pleased to see the moment his mate understood what he was trying to say. Science had been his favorite subject, but not everyone could grasp some of the concepts.

“That’s a daunting task,” Sebastian remarked. “But, I think you might be on the right track. I’ll pass your thoughts on to the research team. In the meantime, I still think it’s best if the four of you hold off on any physical intimacy.”

“None?” Elijah asked.

“I don’t think it’s safe. Until we know for sure Ashton and Austin can fully control their wolves, I believe it’s wiser if you abstain.”

Austin’s wolf grumbled. One sharp look from Sebastian was all it took for Austin to lower his eyes and tip his head.

Rosalie scoffed. “How do you propose they accomplish that? They are twenty-one, after all.” Leave it to her to diplomatically state the obvious. Twenty-one and horny. All. Of. The. Time.

“Well…we have a possible solution,” Sebastian offered. “I’ll let my mate explain since it was his idea. He glanced at Reilly expectedly, almost as though he was holding back a laugh.

“Fine. Throw me under the bus,” Reilly retorted. “It’s a good idea. It’s just a little unconventional and maybe a tiny bit controversial.”

Austin sat up straight. Uh-oh. That didn’t sound good. His wolf took notice as well.

“Now,” Reilly continued, “please don’t take offense, but–” he pulled something out of his pocket.

Austin stiffened as he saw the shifter produce two dog whistles and held them out. His eyes shot to his brother, gauging his reaction. Ashton was sitting ramrod next to Elijah with a trace of panic in his eyes.

Reilly saw Ashton’s reaction and quickly put the whistles back in his pocket. Next to him, all hints of amusement had fled the Alpha, replaced with concern.

“If it’s a trigger for either of you, we won’t do it,” Reilly stated. “But hear me out. The whistles will be used only as a last resort. We think the best course of action is for Ashton and Austin to get into therapy as soon as possible. You can go together, or separately. The choice is yours. The therapist can help with whatever you guys had to deal with and give you coping mechanisms to assist if needed. We understand how difficult it must be to be thrown back into a pack, not even your own, and try to navigate learning how to be a pack member as an adult.”

Sebastian interjected. “We can’t begin to imagine what you’ve been through, but know it can’t have been easy. Your mates have seen firsthand the horror of what can happen. I don’t know if anyone told you, but you were the first successful hybrids.”

Austin looked at Ashton, who looked back with a hint of alarm. This was news to them. He wasn’t sure what to make of it. He was grateful when he felt Tyler drape his arm over his shoulder.

“There were many who didn’t make it,” the Alpha continued. “No matter the case, I think it’s important for you to get into therapy. We have several shifter specialists Donovan works with to coordinate everyone’s care. The first course of action would be to have whichever therapist you choose to help you get full control of your wolves, which brings us back to the issue at hand. What happens if one of you can’t control the animal in the heat of the moment?” Sebastian nodded to Reilly.

“That’s where the whistles come in,” Reilly explained. “They’re not meant to be used as punishment, only as a deterrent. If things between you get all hot and heavy, which they will, your mate can give one short blast. It should be enough to startle your wolves and allow you to regain control.”

Tyler leaned in and whispered, “Are you okay?”

Austin must have been tenser than he realized. He deliberately relaxed his shoulders and leaned against his mate, then nodded. Everything Reilly and Sebastian said made sense. However, making sense didn’t always go over well with his wolf. The beast was still bristling at the memories of other whistles used as punishment. He swallowed audibly, then picked up his tablet.

Austin handed the device to Tyler so he could read aloud, “I’m okay with it. My wolf doesn’t like it, but he needs to learn he can’t have his way all the time anymore.” His voice faltered as he saw the next few lines. “ I’ll start therapy too. I want to get better. I want to claim my mate when it’s time. I want to start our lives together.

Across the room, Ashton typed out his message, which Elijah read over his shoulder. “Austin is right. We need to move forward and put the past eight years behind us. We can’t get them back. I’ll go to therapy, too, so I can control my wolf. If he knows Elijah has a whistle, he’ll be more likely to behave. He hates those things.”

Austin watched as Elijah kissed his brother on the side of his head. He was proud of Ashton. Austin knew of the horror they both endured at the hands of one of their ‘owners’, who frequently used the unbearable shrillness of a dog whistle to punish them as often as he could. There was no way to forget the pain bleeding eardrums could inflict.

“My family is going to love you,” Tyler told him. Then his eyes widened and his gaze shot to Sebastian. “Oh shit! What am I going to tell my family?” He watched as Tyler struggled with the fact that this wasn’t your typical meet-the-parents situation. “I mean, what can I tell them? Is there certain information I have to keep secret? Where do I even begin?”

“You mean, what can you tell them about your situation with Austin?” Sebastian clarified. “How to break it to them that there’s an entire supernatural population living side by side with humans, and you’re now in it balls deep?”

“Well, when you put it like that–”

Sebastian laughed, and the rest of the group joined in. Before Sebastian could reply, Silas spoke. “I think Rosalie and I will go back to our house. You seem to have things under control, and I could use a nap. Don’t hesitate if you have any questions we might be able to answer.”

Reilly offered to drive them, and they accepted.

Once they were gone, Sebastian picked up the conversation again. “I don’t envy you in the least. From what you’ve told us about your family, though, it seems like they would be open-minded. Let me ask you this, and don’t answer right away. Think for a minute. Do you believe you can trust your parents and siblings with this information?”

Austin watched his mate as he did as instructed. He could picture Tyler letting his mind roll over each of his family members. His human talked about his family every day in Texas. Austin felt like he knew each one.

After a few minutes, Tyler answered. “Without a doubt, Mama, Papi, and Elena can keep the knowledge to themselves. The younger ones are trickier. Declan is eighteen, and he’s matured a lot over the past couple of years, so I think we can trust him. Malcolm has always been level-headed. He won’t be a problem. Felix and Micah, on the other hand? Hmm, I’m not sure. They’re at the age where it’s important to impress their friends. Not to mention Felix is hitting puberty, and we all know how raging hormones dictate what shit spews forth in the heat of a moment. Kaya can run her mouth, but she’s only six. It’s easy to chalk it up to her imagination.”

“Would you be comfortable with them knowing?” Sebastian asked.

“Yes, I believe they can be trusted,” he replied confidently.

“What makes you believe that?” Reilly asked.

“Mama and Papi instilled in all of us that family comes first,” Tyler said with conviction. “We protect and do what is right. I would lay down my life for any of them, including Elijah, my mate, and his brother. I know they would do the same.”

A soft whine escaped Austin. He hadn’t known Tyler for long but felt the same way about him. It was like a band constricted around his chest, tightening an invisible thread between them.

Sebastian nodded in satisfaction.

“So, now the question remains, when do I tell them?” Tyler wondered.

“You don’t say anything until it becomes necessary,” Sebastian replied.

“In other words, until Mama becomes suspicious and drags it out of me?”

“Bingo.”

“She’s going to shit a brick, but Papi will understand. He’ll smooth any feathers that get ruffled. I’m pretty sure she’ll hang it over my head until her last breath, throwing it back at me that she lost precious time getting to know her son-in-law or whatever terms you guys use. Let’s hope she doesn’t get suspicious for a long time.”

“You’re right, though. Mama’s gonna be pissed,” Elijah agreed. “Not just at you, either. I doubt I’ll escape unscathed.”

“Well, we can go down with the ship together.”

Austin nodded at his brother. Ashton grinned back and typed out, We’ll protect you.

Elijah laughed, and Tyler joined in.

“Can you picture the four of us going toe to toe with Mama?” Tyler snorted. “No way in hell would any of us come out unscathed if we tried to go up against that woman!”

Reilly giggled. “Your mother sounds like a real spitfire.”

“You have no idea,” Tyler admitted, his laughter abating. “Thank you, guys. I’ve been worried I’d have to choose between my family and my mate. The thought of potentially losing my family over this was stressing me out.”

Austin quickly typed out a message. I’d never let you lose your family. I’d step away before that could happen.

Tyler reached for his hand. “I couldn’t let that happen, either. It will work out. My family is crazy, but they’re a good kind of crazy. I just let myself think too much. I know better than that.”

“I’m sorry you felt that way,” Sebastian interjected. “The truth is, we prefer not to let our existence be known to humans. But, in situations like this, we must make exceptions when the human world collides with the paranormal. Keep this in mind, Tyler. I will never interfere between you and your family unless someone’s life is in danger, okay?”

“Thank you, Sebastian. That means a lot. I know we’re not part of your pack, but Elijah and I appreciate all you’ve done for us.”

“Would you like to be?”

“Like to be what?” Tyler asked, confused. Austin snorted at the look on his mate’s face.

“Like to be part of this pack?” Sebastian asked. “I would love to have you, as would the rest of my crew. You’ve proven yourselves to be loyal, honest, and trustworthy. You’ve rescued three of our missing pups and brought peace to another family. I think you’ve both earned the status of becoming fully accepted pack members.”

Austin watched as his mate stammered. “I-I-uh, I don’t know what to say other than I’m honored,” Tyler replied sincerely. Across the room, Ashton was pushing Elijah’s chin up with his knuckles.

“You don’t need to decide right now,” Sebastian assured them. “Talk it over. I’ve extended the courtesy to the Laramees, too. Austin and Ashton, that includes you. If you decide to join us, we will be the ones who will be honored.”

Austin didn’t know what to think. He hadn’t considered his old pack in North Dakota in years. The area held fond memories, but other than that, there was no big attachment. He could make new memories here with Tyler.

“Wow! We’ll talk it over, but I don’t see any reason not to accept,” Elijah declared, putting words to what they all thought.

Austin watched a huge grin spread across Reilly’s face. “That’s awesome!” the Alpha’s mate exclaimed. “We should have one last cookout to celebrate before the weather turns cold. Kellan and Hunter are going into Great Falls to stock up this weekend, so maybe the weekend after if the weather holds up.”

A thread of trepidation crept over Austin’s skin. A gathering? He wasn’t sure if he was ready. Then again, when would he be ready? Eight years was a long time to be away from pack dynamics. What if he did something wrong? What if he offended someone and didn’t realize it?

Tyler immediately picked up on his distress. “Hey, if you're not ready, we can skip it. I get it. Big gatherings might freak you out, right?”

Austin pulled the tablet close again. I have to start living as normal a life as I can. It’s alright. I used to love pack get-togethers. I don’t want to mess up, that’s all.

“Oh, sweetheart! You could never mess up. We’ll introduce you to some of the other hybrids. I think you’ll like Cameron. He’s a good kid. You’re not alone anymore. There’s a whole pack who will support you.”

Austin buried his head in Tyler’s shoulder, overcome with emotion. The feelings he had were too big to be contained. As much love as he and Ashton shared, being the sole support system for each other took its toll. It felt right to be part of a pack again. Not to mention Tyler called him sweetheart.

He jumped as Tyler’s phone rang, the sound loud in his ears. As Tyler finagled the device out of his pocket, Austin caught a glimpse of a pleasant-faced woman’s picture on the screen. He wondered if it was Tyler’s mom. He got his answer a second later as Tyler answered the call.

“Hey, Mama! We were just talk–”

Tyler’s face drained of all color, and he immediately put the call on speaker.

“–Tyler! They’ve taken Kaya! My baby, she’s gone!” his mother cried, her words tumbling over each other.

“Whoa! Slow down, Mama! What do you mean she’s gone? Who took her?” Tyler’s voice was panicky.

The only answer was the sound of inconsolable sobbing. Austin could feel Tyler’s heart racing beneath his hand resting on his mate’s chest.

“Mama! Put Papi on the phone. NOW!” Tyler demanded with as much authority as he could muster. His voice made everyone in the room sit up and pay attention.

It took a moment before a man’s voice came over the line. “Tyler, your sister was in the backyard playing while Mama was winterizing her garden. When Mama went inside for just a minute and when she returned, Kaya was gone. We searched everywhere. There was a note on the fence.”

Everyone could hear the anguish in Papi’s voice. Austin could picture his own dad feeling the same thing when he and Ashton were kidnapped. He shivered. It was a sound he never wanted to hear again. It was abject terror, through and through.

“What did the note say, Papi?” Tyler’s panic was palpable.

“The note said, ‘Tell your firstborn son to return what he stole from me, or I will kill your daughter’. What did you steal, Tyler? Please, I don’t care if you’re in trouble, but please, tell me!” Papi implored with a sob.

Papi! I didn’t steal anything. Did the note say anything else? Who was it from? Anything?”

“It said not to call the police, which we didn’t, yet. There was no signature, just initials,” Papi sobbed again.

“What initials?” Tyler asked, fearing the answer.

“K.H.”

Hang on tight. It's a long way down if you fall off this cliff. (C'mon, you all saw it coming like a freight train!)
Copyright © 2022 kbois; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 41
  • Wow 21
  • Fingers Crossed 4
  • Sad 5
  • Angry 21
Thanks for coming along for this ride!
As always, if you're enjoying the story please make sure to hit a REACTION button, COMMENT, and most of all, RECOMMEND! 
I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..