Jump to content
    kbois
  • Author
  • 4,765 Words
  • 4,668 Views
  • 124 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shadow Effect - 3. Chapter 3

I woke up early so decided to post before chaos descends.
I hate moving.

Staring out the window of Tyler’s kitchen, Elijah sipped his coffee absentmindedly. His mind kept straying back to the encounter he had with the shadow shifter two nights ago. Every time he thought of how his body betrayed him with its reaction to the mysterious dark man, he could feel his cheeks turn pink.

Remembering how the room had been lit only by moonlight, illuminating only a fraction of what he wanted to see, it was enough that Elijah was able to make out most of the man’s features. He’d be stunning in daylight, Elijah was sure of it.

Shaking his head to clear his fantasies, he finished the dregs at the bottom of his mug and got up to put it in the dishwasher. Sleep had been an elusive companion after returning home from his work shift. All evening, he felt as though he was being watched. His acute vision never caught anything out of the norm, but he hadn’t been able to shake the feeling, especially after the diner closed. He was sure he could feel a set of eyes on him; he just wasn’t able to figure out from where.

“Elijah?” Tyler said, getting his attention.

“Uh, yeah?”

“Do you need help with anything today?”

Tyler’s question reminded him he still needed to tend to a few things regarding his parents’ memorial service and sign some documents at the attorney’s office. Some of them could be completed electronically, but Elijah needed time to read through them first. His dad had drilled it in his head that he should never sign anything he hadn’t read through and fully understood. The documents required notarization, which meant taking care of it in person.

“I don’t think so. Carver offered to hold the reception after the service at the diner. He’s going to take care of getting everything set up for that. The funeral director sent me a link that outlines their non-denominational services. I looked them over this morning and chose one that I think my mom would’ve liked. I really don’t know what else I need to do,” he said, mentally ticking off items on an ever changing to-do list.

“Would you like me to arrange for a cleaning service to go over to the house?”

Elijah was avoiding that task, emotionally not ready to deal with it. He knew he couldn’t step foot into the house again until the evidence of his parent’s murder was erased. Just thinking about sorting out their things had his eyes welling up, threatening to spill out over his cheeks.

“Thanks Ty, that would be a big help. I can’t go back there with it like it is now.” Referring to the spattered room where his parents’ lives ended.

Tyler pulled him in close and embraced him, dropping a kiss on top of his head. “I’ll take care of it,” he promised softly.

Letting his body relax, Elijah knew that as long as he had Tyler in his life, it would be okay.

Ty let him go. “I need to get to the music studio. Are you going to be alright, or do I need to send Mom over to babysit?”

Elijah rolled his eyes. “Go, I’ll be fine. I have to be at the attorney’s office in an hour to sign some shit. Afterwards, I think I’ll go shopping for a new suit. I haven’t worn my old one since high school graduation and I doubt it fits.”

Tyler grabbed his wallet and keys from the table near the door and waved as he left. He was finishing up his last semester of college and would be graduating in the spring with a degree in music composition. The man had mad skills when it came to stringing notes together. He didn’t aspire to break into the traditional music business, but rather he wanted to compose background music for commercials, radio jingles, and maybe the video game industry. A lot of people don’t realize how many things you watch have some sort of music track accompanying the main event.

After tidying up the small apartment, Elijah headed out to handle his errands, making it to the attorney’s office with a few minutes to spare. It took a lot longer to sign the documents than he thought it would because, unlike a lot of people, he heeded his dad’s advice and read each one. Anything he didn’t understand, he asked questions.

The house was paid for, allowing him to sign a limited power of attorney granting his lawyer the authority to have the deed transferred into Elijah’s name. The same held true for his parents’ cars and, to his surprise, a 1955 Chevy Bel Air.

“Your father purchased it recently. Just a few days ago, I believe,” his lawyer said, shuffling through a folder. “The auction house notified us, as it seems your father wanted it added to his estate inventory. Currently, they are still holding the title and we’ve instructed them to transfer it to your name as soon as the probate clears through the court.”

Wow! He knew his dad was a classic car buff who always dreamed of restoring one of those beauties. Elijah fondly remembered Grandpa telling stories about drag racing his own ‘55 Chevy on the local circuit when he was young. There was so much pride in his voice as described the candy apple red and pearl white hot rod. Pictures of the car and Grandpa proudly holding various trophies still adorned a wall in his dad’s office. Dad had grown up helping Grandpa work on vehicles and he taught Elijah all the basics of maintenance and easy repairs. Restoring a classic beauty like the Chevy would have been a fun project to work on together.

“Where’s the car now?”

“It’s at a public storage facility. I’ll make sure you have the information you need to get access to it as soon as I have the title from the auction house.”

Elijah nodded. He hoped it was in decent condition. Restoration could be a major undertaking if the car was in poor shape and he didn’t have the skills to do it by himself.

He finished reading the papers his lawyer gave him and finally signed the last document. The attorney assured him his parents’ bank assets would be transferred to his account by the end of the week. It would take a few more weeks for the life insurance payouts and retirement accounts to be processed. He added a reminder to the note app on his phone to ask Tyler’s dad if he could recommend a financial advisor to help him invest the money and put aside what he would need for taxes.

As he was leaving, he got the feeling again of being watched. He assumed the source, but couldn’t pinpoint it. The day was bright and sunny, with too many shadows to sort through. He was extremely lucky to have caught the shadow shifter the first time. He highly doubted he would ever do it again. That Kage guy seemed crafty.

Elijah’s thoughts drifted once again to the shadow shifter. He couldn’t put his finger on why the man fascinated him so much. Sure, he was good looking and had a body to die for, but Elijah never felt such an odd pull before. It didn’t make any sense. The way he got so hard so quickly when Kage’s leg brushed his cock was a new experience. Elijah’s sexuality was always something that confused him. He never felt a particular attraction to either males or females. Sure, he could admire a good-looking guy or girl, appreciating beauty for what it was, but attraction? It was a foreign notion.

Kage changed all that. Did that make him gay? He still found girls to be pretty. Was he bisexual? Maybe pan? Elijah’s head spun with possibilities.

Ugh! Too much to think about right now. He told himself it didn’t matter, it’s not like he would see the shadow shifter ever again. He didn’t want to encounter those dark, brooding eyes that held so much lust. Or did he? Elijah threw his head back, smacking it on the headrest of his Rogue, making him realize he was just sitting in the parking lot.

Oh fuck it!’ he thought as he stepped on the brake and punched the start button to the vehicle. He still had a few hours before his shift and didn’t want to be inside getting poked and prodded by a tailor. The need to clear his head was more important. He could get a new suit tomorrow.

Driving north, he pulled into the gravel parking area for his favorite spot on the coast. The beaches in this part of California didn’t sport long stretches of fine, white sand. Instead, cliffs, coves and shorter, rocky stretches of beige sand dotted the shoreline.

It was at one of these coves where Elijah stopped. The half mile stretch was deserted, winter still having its grip on the area. A cold wind whipped through the damp air, despite the bright sun above. Elijah made his way down the sandy path to the cove and walked to the water line. He strolled across the wet, packed down sand, keeping an eye on the water breaking farther out. The area was known for rogue waves, and he didn’t feel like getting soaked.

Small rocks, stones, and the odd shell broke the flatness of the wet sand, worn smooth by the continuous erosion from being tossed about in the churning ocean. Occasionally he came across sea glass, pretty colors glimmering in the sun.

The sound of pounding waves managed to drown out the thoughts of his parents and how they died. It couldn't, however, quell the thoughts of Kage that kept invading his brain.

Elijah reached the end of the cove and climbed up a tall rock outcropping that created a natural barrier protecting the shore. He scaled high enough so the salty spray from the crashing waves wouldn’t reach him and sat on the cold stone, wrapping his arms around his knees.

Something Kage said to him stuck out. His parents had something that someone else wanted. What the fuck was that about? He made it sound like his parents were international spies or some shit. How the hell does an insurance adjuster and a schoolteacher get involved with espionage anyway? And why?

What could Mom and Dad have come across that got them killed? Elijah refused to believe they knowingly were involved with anything illegal or even the slightest bit shady. It was a puzzle which was missing so many pieces. Pieces that quite possibly, this Kage guy held. At the moment, Elijah knew he would need to find the elusive shadow shifter again. How to do it was the problem.

He watched the sun’s rays as they danced over the ocean, waltzing across the sky until dipping closer to the horizon. He wasn’t any closer to any answers, but worrying would be a waste of time. Carefully, he navigated his way down the craggy rocks and picked up his pace as he walked back to where he was parked. One glance at his red cheeks and nose had him cranking up the heat before heading back towards town.

“Elijah!” Brittany greeted as he strolled through the door of the diner. She was always happy to see him. Elijah suspected the girl had a crush on him, but he didn’t return the feelings. Even though she was close in age, he still felt no pull. Nah, Brit was too peppy. She was forever trapped in the friend-zone.

“Hey Brit,” he returned, less enthusiastically. He walked past her, heading to the back to stow his outerwear. He snagged his apron from the locker before checking in with Marisol, the manager and daughter of the owner. Carver Matthews bought Daily Bread from the original owners over twenty years ago when they retired and their children didn’t want to run it. He was an outgoing, friendly sort who somehow knew every damned person on the planet.

Marisol let him know he had section three tonight. Elijah knew she assigned him the choice section not only because of his seniority, but because the regulars who sat in that section always asked for him.

Local, long-standing eating establishments had cliques. There was no denying it. Customers had their favorite waiter or waitress and vice versa. Since news of his parents’ murder, so many of Elijah’s regular customers had gone out of their way to express their condolences, many coming in on days when they weren’t usually there.

Daily Bread was a popular spot and the evening rush lived up to its name, the local church down the street providing plenty of diners after events and services. Elijah preferred keeping busy, and tonight was no exception. He didn’t have the feeling of being watched, like the night before, for which he was grateful.

That gratefulness shattered when the tall, dark, hot as sin Kage walked in forty-five minutes before closing. Elijah knew without a doubt he’d timed it that way, knowing there was still plenty of time to be served, yet not enough to be rushed out the door. Thankfully the apron hid his bothersome boner.

Daily Bread had a seat-yourself policy, so when Kage took a seat at a booth in Elijah’s section, it confirmed the shifter was stalking him. Taking a deep breath, he steeled himself before grabbing a menu and sliding it in front of sexy McBroody.

“Thank you,” Kage said, deliberately brushing his hand along Elijah’s as he took the placard.

Elijah cleared his throat. “Can I get you something to drink?”

“Coffee, black.”

Of course.

“Coming right up,” he answered, turning away quickly.

Brittany and Marisol intercepted him on his way to the coffee station.

“Damn, you have all the luck. That guy’s hot enough to melt stone, mm-hmm,” Marisol declared.

Brittany laughed.

“Shut up, Mare. Isn’t that harassment or something?” Elijah grabbed a coffee cup and filled it nearly all the way.

Marisol snorted.

Elijah walked back to the booth, careful not to spill the hot liquid.

“Do you know what you’d like?” he asked, setting the coffee down in front of Kage. He blushed ten shades of red when Kage’s dark eyes raked over him from head to toe.

“What I’d really like isn’t on the menu.”

Elijah swallowed hard before gathering his wits. “Then pick something else,” he said, maybe just a tad bit rudely.

Kage smiled. It had a very predatory-like quality. It was diabolically delicious. “I’ll have the grilled chicken sandwich, hold the mayo. Steamed vegetables and rice please.”

“I’ll have it out for you in a few minutes,” Elijah said as he took the menu back, making sure their hands didn’t connect this time.

Damn, this guy knew how to push his buttons.

He slapped the order sheet down on the ledge between the prep area and the kitchen. Rance, the night cook, looked at it and nodded. Elijah set about cleaning the prep area while he waited for Kage’s food.

Ten minutes later, Rance slid the plate onto the divider and shouted, “Order up!” even though Elijah was standing right there. He gave the man a glare and got a shit-eating grin in reply.

“Pain in the ass,” he muttered.

“Don’t you know it!” Rance laughed as he turned his attention back to the grill.

Plastering a fake smile on his face, Elijah grabbed the plate in one hand, scooped up the coffee pot in the other, before sauntering in what he hoped was a casual, nonchalant way across the diner.

“Will there be anything else?” he asked, gently depositing Kage’s meal in front of him and topping off his coffee cup.

“We need to talk, Elijah.”

Elijah’s dick twitched as the sound of his name rumbled from Kage.

“You couldn’t be bothered to stick around and talk to me the other night. What makes you think I want to talk to you now?”

“Do you want to find out what really happened to your parents?”

It was the one and only thing that Kage could’ve said to stop Elijah dead in his tracks, and it worked. He pressed his lips together as his heart gave a lurch.

“Fine. We close at nine and I should be done by nine-thirty. Meet me by my car. I’m sure you already know which one it is.” He wanted Kage to know he was aware of being watched.

Kage smirked before picking up his chicken sandwich and sinking his teeth into it.

Elijah turned with a huff, determined not to let the infuriating man get to him.

He helped Brittany clear the recently vacated tables and bussed the dishes into the kitchen where he loaded them into the industrial dishwasher. Marisol was refilling condiment containers for the breakfast crew. He could hear Rance scraping the big grill, getting ready to shut it down for the evening. It was nearly nine and no more customers lingered, other than Kage.

Elijah noticed Kage’s plate was empty, so he brought the check over. He forced himself to not look as Kage made his way to the register where Marisol was waiting to cash him out. As he cleared the table, his eyes landed on the twenty dollar bill Kage left for a tip. His meal hadn’t been that much. Whatever his motive was, he couldn’t know they pooled their tips. Well, the others would be glad of the little bit of extra money in their pockets.

The crew finished the closing chores, making sure everything was set for the morning shift. It had been a good night and, Kage’s tip notwithstanding, Elijah had an extra hundred bucks in his pocket. It was a good haul for a weeknight.

Elijah walked Brittany out, like he did whenever they closed together. It was the polite thing to do. Crime wasn’t a major problem in their small community, but it still happened. His dad taught him to make sure the ladies in his life stayed safe. Marisol and Rance would be out in a few minutes. They had a few extra things to do before locking up for the night.

He watched Brittany drive off before turning to his Nissan. Sure enough, Kage leaned against the side of his Camry parked in the adjacent space. He went to open the passenger door for Elijah as he approached.

“Get in,” he instructed.

Shaking his head, Elijah hit his own key fob, unlocking the door.

Looking over the top of the vehicle, he said, “Uh-uh. My mom taught me not to get into vehicles with strangers. There’s no one stranger than you.”

Kage laughed. He locked his Camry and opened the passenger door of the Rogue, folding his long legs nearly in half. It was a tight fit until he reached down between his legs and pulled the bar under the seat, sliding it back as far as it would go to give himself more room.

Once they were buckled up, Elijah backed out of the space and headed south. If he had to have a conversation regarding his parents, he wanted to do it somewhere private, but not isolated. He pulled into the lot of a divey looking bar. Kage quirked an eyebrow at him.

“A friend of the family owns it. There’s a back patio that he heats with towers. I doubt there’s anyone back there right now, so it’ll be quiet enough. Besides, I have a feeling I’m going to need a drink for this,” Elijah admitted.

Kage followed him through the front door. Elijah nodded at Sam, who had been tending the bar for decades.

“Your usual Elijah?”

“Yep, and put my, uh, friend here on my tab.”

“Scotch, single malt, neat. Make it a double,” Kage ordered.

Elijah threaded his way through the tables. The place was nearly three-quarters full and he knew there wouldn’t be anyone out on the rear deck. In the summer it would be packed. Beyond the deck was another open area where more tables were set out when it was warmer. Along the back fence were several dart boards and, when the weather was nice, they added cornhole boards for Friday night tournaments. Until then, the space lay empty.

The deck held several tall, propane-fueled heating towers, two of which Elijah turned on, quickly lending enough warmth to be comfortable. Elijah chose a table not too far from the door, where he could see the comings and goings of the bar area.

Not long after they settled into their seats facing each other across the small table, Sam brought over their drinks. Kage’s single malt scotch and vanilla Crown with a splash of Coke for Elijah.

They sat in awkward silence for a moment until Elijah decided this was nonsense.

“You wanted to talk, so start talking.”

Kage sipped his scotch and leaned back into his chair.

“Do you know anything about a laptop your parents were in possession of?'' he asked, getting straight to the point, apparently over trying to play games with Elijah’s head.

“Laptop? Besides the ones we each had for everyday use? Dad used his mostly for work and Mom used hers for school, lesson planning and grading stuff, Skyping her college friends she kept in touch with. Why?”

“Have you ever met Kasar Huntington?”

Elijah didn’t appreciate the quick change in subject, but he let it go for now.

“He’s the CEO of my dad’s insurance company. What does he have to do with this?”

“Humor me please.”

Elijah let out a breath, a semi-huff before replying. “Once, about a year and a half ago. The company has an awards banquet every year. My dad was the top adjustor for his region and was invited to attend. Families were welcome. Anyone over sixteen could take part in the awards dinner. Afterwards, they did a photo-op. Mr. Huntington posed with the recipients and their family members.”

“Was there anything unusual about your encounter?”

Elijah recalled the brief meeting. “No.” Then a whisper of a memory tickled his brain. “Wait. He sniffed me. Or, at least I think he did. He leaned in to congratulate me for having a great dad. I swear I heard him inhale through his nose. I didn’t think anything of it at the time, but now I guess it’s kinda weird.”

Kage was silent, surely processing the information.

“Why’s that important?” Elijah asked.

“Huntington is a lion shifter. He probably scented you, and as many times as he’s been around the block, I’m willing to bet he figured out you’re a shapeshifter.”

“I didn’t think non-animal shifters had a distinguishing scent.”

“They don't. Well, at least not a specific, identifying one. Huntington most likely knew by your lack of normal, human scent there was more to you than meets the eye,” Kage stated, looking Elijah up and down like he wanted to devour him.

Another twitch of his dick. So much for not messing with his head. This was getting ridiculous, not to mention the way his body responded to Kage was getting annoying. ‘Down boy!’, Elijah mentally scolded his cock.

“So how does this tie into my parents’ murder?”

“I’m not quite sure yet, but I’m beginning to suspect that Huntington blackmailed your father into hiding the laptop for him.”

“Blackmailed how?”

Kage looked at Elijah as if sizing him up, trying to determine if he was worthy of a response. He took another sip of scotch before asking, ”Do you really want to know?”

Something about Kage’s tone of voice warned Elijah that he wasn’t going to like whatever answer Kage came up with.

“Yes,” Elijah answered, before he could change his mind.

“I suspect that Huntington used you and held the knowledge of what you are over your parents’ heads. He threatened them in some way, maybe by telling them he’d hurt you; expose what you can do, or something similar,” Kage replied.

Elijah felt like he’d been hit in the gut with a steel-toe boot. He was the reason his parents were dead. Panic threatened to overwhelm him. The air seemed to heat up far past the point which the propane heaters were capable of. Drawing a breath seemed increasingly difficult. Before he knew what was happening, strong arms pulled him up from his chair and wrapped themselves around him. Elijah started to hyperventilate, not sure if it was the crushing news or the close proximity of Kage’s body, or, more likely, both.

Kage stepped back until he was an arm length away. His hands remained on Elijah’s shoulders. “Take a deep breath in through your nose. Elijah. Listen to me!”

Removing one hand and placing it under Elijah’s chin, Kage forced him to meet those dark chocolate brown eyes. “Breathe. In. Through. Your. Nose. Follow what I do,” Kage commanded.

Still looking into the mesmerizing depths, Elijah did as he was told.

He mimicked Kage’s moves, inhaling slowly, holding it, then letting it out slowly. After several repetitions, his breathing returned to normal.

“It’s my fau—.”

Stop!” Kage commanded. “It is not your fault. You didn’t pull the trigger. Strikers did. You didn’t order the hit. Huntington probably did. You are not to blame. Do you hear me?”

Kage pulled him in close again and this time, Elijah let him. Logically, he knew Kage was right. Emotionally, he was going to beat himself up over this for a long time.

Pulling back, Elijah shuddered and took a few steps away, toward the door. Turning, he said, “I need another drink, you want one?”

Kage shook his head.

Elijah opened the door wide enough to catch Sam's attention. He pointed at himself and then to their table. Sam gave him a thumbs up. When Elijah sat back down, he knocked back the rest of what was in his glass down his throat, letting the icy coldness numb him from inside.

Kage slid in across from him once more, sipping his Scotch slowly. He looked at Elijah as though he were examining him for cracks in his façade.

The silence continued until after Sam delivered Elijah’s Crown and Coke, heavy on the Crown.

“Elijah, is there anywhere you can think of where your dad might have hidden a laptop?” Kage asked.

“What’s so important about this laptop anyway?” Elijah countered.

Kage sighed. “I wish I knew.”

Elijah looked at him incredulously.

“In my line of work, I don’t ask questions. If I needed to know what was on there, I would have been told.”

“What exactly is your line of work?”

More silence greeted his question. Elijah stared, not willing to back down.

“I do whatever I’m paid to do.”

“That’s rather elusive.”

Elijah saw Kage’s eyes narrow slightly. Did he really want confirmation of who Kage really was? He wasn’t stupid. He could guess, but he wanted to hear it from the horse’s mouth. He didn’t know why, only that it was important. He needed to know if Kage would tell him the truth.

One more sip of Scotch.

“I kill. I steal. I torture. I leave behind broken families, widows, orphans. I told you once, I do a lot of bad things. I meant it.”

“That doesn’t make you a bad person,” Elijah whispered softly, not knowing why he said it, only that it was true.

Kage gazed at him, unblinking, as if he wasn’t sure what to make of that statement. Elijah didn’t think anyone had ever spoken like that to Kage before. He saw Kage’s skepticism staring back at him.

Several eternal seconds passed before Kage blinked, breaking whatever spell was cast between them. Elijah took another sip of his drink as Kage did the same.

“So, no idea where the laptop is hidden?” Kage repeated.

“No. There aren’t any secret hiding spots in our house. No fake panels or hidden tunnels. Dad kept important stuff in a bank deposit box. I was just in there when I needed to get the information pertaining to their life insurance and such. No laptop to be found.”

“Well, that fucking sucks.”

Elijah couldn’t agree more.

Sam popped his head out and Elijah and Kage both shook their heads when he asked if they wanted anything else.

As soon as the door shut behind him, Elijah asked, “Where do we go from here?”

Kage’s response nearly knocked him off his chair.

“How ‘bout you tell me what your connection is to Sebastian MacTire?”

Elijah froze. How the hell was he supposed to answer that?

The plot thickens.
Keep the comments coming. I'll respond as I can today.
Copyright © 2022 kbois; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 52
  • Love 63
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 5
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Thanks for coming along for this ride!
As always, if you're enjoying the story please make sure to hit a REACTION button, COMMENT, and most of all, RECOMMEND! 
I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..