Jump to content
    kbois
  • Author
  • 4,998 Words
  • 4,319 Views
  • 154 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shadow Effect - 38. Chapter 38

Let's see what Huntington has up his sleeve.

K.H.

Kasar Huntington.

It couldn’t be anyone else. Elijah’s heart hammered at the implications. Ashton must’ve sensed his distress and pressed his body close.

They listened as Papi continued his recollection of Kaya’s kidnapping. “At first, we thought she’d wandered off, maybe followed the Renmans’ dog? You know he breaks free at least once a week, and nine times out of ten, one of us catches him and brings him back.”

Tyler huffed with exasperation. “Papi, never mind the damn beagle! Tell me about the note.”

“I found it on the fence,” Papi continued. “Well, on the gate, the one on the side of the house that leads to the street. It’s on bright yellow paper so we wouldn’t miss it. Tyler, why does it say you stole something? I don’t understand. What have you and Elijah gotten yourselves into?”

Ashton’s wolf gave an almost inaudible growl at Papi’s insinuation.

“Shhh. It’s alright,” Elijah assured him. “Tyler’s dad is scared.”

Sebastian interjected. “Mr. Williamson? My name is Sebastian McTire. Your son has done nothing wrong. He and Elijah are in my employ. I run a well-established security enterprise. Unfortunately, due to client privacy issues, Tyler can not provide details of any specific job he is involved with, including the one that has apparently led to your daughter's disappearance. If you would be so kind as to stay put and not notify the authorities as the note requested, we will be on a private charter within the hour. I’ll have Tyler text you our estimated arrival time, but time is of the essence, and we need to get going as soon as possible.”

Elijah was awed by the way Sebastian took charge. The Alpha was a natural-born leader.

Sebastian addressed the twins first. “Austin, Ashton, I’m sorry, but you’ll have to stay here. I’ll let your parents know. We’ll update everyone as often as we can.

Ashton nuzzled Elijah’s neck, drawing in his scent before wrapping his arms around his waist. Elijah enfolded his mate in a full hug and gently kissed the side of his head. In return, his mate grabbed his tablet and quickly typed out; We’ll be fine. Tyler needs you.

Reilly was on his phone, arranging a private plane to get them to California. Sebastian was talking to either Hunter or Kellan, bringing them up to speed. They would be in charge of the pack while Sebastian was gone.

A call to Zev was next. Sebastian wanted his best enforcers at his side. Elijah overheard the Alpha instructing them to move their asses. It was wheels up in an hour.

Upon completing his calls, Sebastian turned to Tyler. “Let’s go. You can text your parents from the airport to let them know when we’ll be there. It’s a two-hour flight, plus driving time to their house.”

Elijah gave Ashton a quick kiss. “I’ll miss you. We’ll be back as soon as possible.”

Ashton chuffed and nodded.

Sebastian hustled them out to one of the customized minivans. “Buckle up. It’s going to be a quick ride,” he informed them.

He wasn’t kidding, either. By the time they arrived at the private terminal, Elijah was white-knuckling the edge of his seat. Sebastian drove directly to the waiting Learjet, leaving the van running as they all piled out and immediately boarded the plane. As he buckled in, Elijah saw an airport employee come out and drive the vehicle off the tarmac toward a secure parking area.

Within minutes they had clearance, and the plane screamed down the runway, G-forces pushing them back in their seats. When they reached cruising altitude, Elijah’s ears had stopped popping.

As soon as the seatbelt light was turned off, the flight attendant came over, pulled the fold-down table from its place, and rearranged the seating so they could face one another.

“Sebastian, what’s going to happen?” Tyler asked. Tears shone in his best friend’s eyes, threatening to spill. “Kaya’s only six.”

Elijah automatically scooted closer, so their legs touched. He knew Tyler relied heavily on a comforting touch when he was upset.

“I have my best people trying to track down Huntington’s whereabouts. Once we land, a vehicle will be waiting so we can go straight to your parents’. We can decide the best course of action from there,” Sebastian replied.

“Hey, it’s going to be okay,” Elijah assured him. “Kaya’s a tough little girl. She takes after her big brother.”

Ben got up and sat on the other side of Tyler, bolstering him with silent support. The remainder of the two-hour flight passed quickly, and it wasn’t long before the plane was taxiing the short distance to the private terminal, where a large SUV sat idling. Tyler promptly called his parents, letting them know they were on the way.

Elijah sat in front to navigate while Reilly slid into the back next to Tyler. Zev and Ben squeezed into the third row. As Sebastian drove out of the airport, Elijah couldn’t help fidgeting. His nerves were frayed. He knew Tyler must be a mess inside. Though no one would admit it out loud, Kaya was everyone’s favorite. The vivacious little girl had a way of grabbing your heart and squeezing it.

The drive to the Williamsons’ was nerve-wracking. Elijah’s leg bounced as he instructed Sebastian where to turn. As they waited to make a left turn onto Tyler’s street, a dark gray sedan pulled out in front of them, nearly clipping the front bumper as it sped off.

Leaning on the horn, Sebastian muttered, “Asshole.”

The Williamson house was near the end of the road, just before the cul-de-sac. As they pulled up to the curb, everyone was stunned to see Mama and Papi outside, with Kaya engulfed between them.

Tyler bolted from the SUV, Elijah hot on his heels, not bothering to shut the door.

Kaya caught sight of them and broke away from her parents. “Tyler! Elijah! You’re home!” she screeched as she ran across the lawn. Tyler scooped her up and held on for dear life as she clung to him.

Elijah’s body shook as the built-up adrenaline released its hold on his body. Mama and Papi were crying. The front door flew open, and the rest of the Williamson clan came rushing out as they caught sight of Kaya and Tyler. The next moments were pure chaos at its finest.

A piercing whistle abruptly halted the exuberant sounds of the family’s reunion. Reilly stood there, his fingers still poised in front of his lips, ready to repeat the sound should the noise resume. Ben and Zev averted their heads, stifling their laughter at the stunned expressions on Mama and Papi’s faces. Elijah was in serious danger of losing it himself.

Sebastian’s cooler head prevailed. “Why don’t we take this inside,” he suggested, spreading his arms wide as if to herd the wayward family members toward the house.

Papi cleared his throat. “You heard him. Let’s go inside before one of the neighbors calls the police for disorderly conduct.”

“We’re not that bad, Papi,” Malcolm countered, rolling his eyes.

“Just go, Malcolm,” Papi repeated sternly. When he used that tone, all the kids knew he meant business. Mama usually kept everyone in line, but his family listened without question when Papi was serious. Malcolm silently climbed the porch steps leading to the front door before disappearing inside. Everyone followed. Tyler carried Kaya in his arms.

As soon as everyone was in, Papi instructed Declan and Malcolm to take Micah and Felix upstairs and keep them occupied. None of them protested, not even the ordinarily cheeky Micah.

Mama and Papi regarded the newcomers curiously. Elijah took the lead and made the introductions. One would have thought Mama had been poked with a cattle prod by how she jumped at the realization she had guests.

“Oh! Where are my manners?” she fretted. “Here, have a seat. I’ll go put some coffee on. It will only take a few minutes.”

“Can I have chocolate milk?” Kaya asked.

“Of course, baby girl,” Mama answered, willing to give her daughter anything she wanted, including the pony she asked for every Christmas.

Elijah watched Kaya as she took in the newcomers with a wariness that had never been there before.

“You’re big,” she declared, looking at Sebastian.

He grinned. “Yes, I am. You’re cute.”

“I know.”

That brought chuckles from everyone else in the room.

“Can you turn into a wolf? Or a lion?” she asked matter-of-factly.

Her statement brought six of the room’s occupants to a complete halt. Only Papi was clueless. Elijah saw Tyler’s grip on the little girl tighten, and she squirmed out of his hold.

“Kaya, where did you come up with that idea?” Papi asked, pulling her up on his lap as she went to him.

“The man in the big truck told me after he turned into a lion,” she shrugged.

The looks that passed between the four wolf shifters spoke volumes. They were all flummoxed as to why Huntington would reveal himself to Kaya and tell her about their abilities. Elijah wanted clarification as well. What did Huntington think he was accomplishing by exposing his true form to a six-year-old human little girl?

“Here we go!” Mama exclaimed as she carried a tray laden with coffee cups, an urn, creamer, sugar, and a big plate of cookies into the room. Elijah jumped up to take it from her, placing everything on the coffee table in front of the couch.

It didn’t take her more than a few seconds to catch onto the weird vibe which settled over them at Kaya’s admission.

“What happened?” she asked, sitting next to Papa and Kaya, looking concerned.

All eyes shifted to Sebastian.

The Alpha sighed as if determining exactly where to start. Elijah could see him weighing his options regarding what and how much to tell the Williamsons’.

“Would you mind if I asked Kaya a few questions?” he asked.

“I guess so,” Papa replied, still confused as he shifted Kaya around, so she faced Sebastian.

“Well, Kaya, you had a little adventure, didn’t you, sweetheart?”

Kaya nodded.

“Can you tell us about it?”

Kaya’s face was almost comical in the adult-like way she scrutinized Sebastian before deeming him worthy of an answer. “I was playing on the swing waiting for Mama to bring me some cookies. She promised I could have two,” she said, holding out two fingers.

Elijah smiled as Mama handed her daughter the two promised treats.

“A big car stopped at the fence by the gate, and a man got out and smatched me.”

“Snatched,” Papi corrected automatically, receiving a look of indignation from his youngest progeny.

Ignoring him, Kaya continued. “I tried to yell like they taught us in school, but he covered my mouth. His hand was icky. It was stinky like onions.” Kaya shuddered at the memory. Elijah knew she hated onions. “Then he put something over my face that was stinky too, like when Mama cleans the toilets. It made me unconshush.”

“Do you remember what the man looked like?” Sebastian asked.

Kaya’s face scrunched up as she tried to think. It was cute, the way her nose wrinkled. “I don’t amember.”

“How ‘bout this? Was he tall or short?”

“Tall,” Kaya stated emphatically. Elijah wasn’t sure how much weight her recollection carried. He guessed when you were less than four feet high, everyone was tall.

“What color was his hair?”

“Like Tyler’s but not as pretty.” Brown.

“Do you know what color his eyes were?”

“Like poop.”

“Kaya!” Mama admonished as the rest of them tried not to laugh.

“Is there anything else you remember about the man, Kaya?” Sebastian prompted. Besides tall, brown hair, poopy brown eyes, not fat, and smelled like onions, the six-year-old hadn’t added any additional details. It could’ve been anyone. Most likely, he was one of Huntington’s strikers.

“Kaya, you said there was a truck. Can you remember anything about it?” Sebastian asked.

“It was big, like the ones on the highway. The ones we go like this to.” Kaya pumped her little arm up and down, mimicking the gesture kids across the country used when passing a big rig, trying to entice the driver to blow his horn.

“One more question, Sweetie. Can you tell us why you asked if we could change into wolves?”

“The lion man told me you could be a wolfie.”

Elijah pulled up a picture of Kasar Huntington on his phone. “Was this him?”

Kaya nodded.

“Thank you, Kaya. You’ve been a big help,” Sebastian said.

“Can I go play with the boys?” Kaya asked, already recovered from her ‘adventure’.

Papi kissed one side of her head, Mama the other, before letting her scurry upstairs.

“So now what?” Reilly asked.

Sebastian lowered his head into his hands, elbows propped up on his knees. Elijah couldn’t imagine his turmoil, trying to balance the shifter and the human world. They all knew the Williamsons would eventually be brought into the fold of the supernatural world, but no one expected it to be so soon. They weren’t prepared.

“We can show them,” Zev suggested.

Sebastian raised his head, still looking as though he was contemplating the best course of action.

“Show us what?” Papi demanded.

“Papi, calm down. Give us a minute,” Tyler implored.

Elijah knew this was a turning point. If Sebastian revealed the existence of supernaturals to Mama and Papi, it was all in. Not only would they learn about the reality of people who can become something else, but they would also learn of the hybrids and how their son and surrogate son were mates to the two of them. It was a massive leap of faith all around.

“Do it,” Sebastian instructed.

Zev and Ben stood, stripping off clothes, much to Mama’s dismay.

“What are you doing!?” she cried. “And in my family room!”

“Mama, just watch,” Tyler said. “Don’t be afraid. They won’t hurt you.”

“What do you mean? Won’t hur–” Mama screamed as two blond wolves transformed before her eyes, smack dab in the middle of her living room.

Papi jumped up, placing himself protectively between his wife and the wolves. His eyes widened in terror as they scanned the room for a potential weapon.

Calmly, Zev and Ben sat on their haunches, waiting for the two humans to calm down.

“This isn’t how I wanted you to find out,” Tyler said, standing up to put himself between his friends and his parents.

“What do you mean? Those are wolves! They were people just a second ago! Tyler, what is happening?” Papi demanded, still shielding Mama from Zev and Ben.

The sound of stomping feet thundered down the stairs. Declan and Malcolm rushed to see why their mother screamed. Both boys skidded to a halt at the sight of the two wolves sitting calmly.

“What the fuck!?” Malcolm exclaimed.

“Language!” Mama shouted, ever the disciplinarian, despite fearing for her life.

“Boys, shift back,” Sebastian commanded.

In an instant, Zev and Ben changed back to their human forms, reaching for the clothes Reilly held out for them.

“Holy shi–” Declan caught himself as Mama glared.

“Mr. McTire,” Papi said sternly.

Uh-oh, he used Sebastian’s formal name. That’s not a good sign, Elijah thought.

“Would you care to explain what just happened?” Papi’s tone was the one all his kids feared.

“Let’s sit down,” Sebastian suggested diplomatically. “Do you want your other children here, or would you rather wait and explain things yourselves? Fair warning, though, once this cat is out of the bag, there is no turning back. Your lives will change.”

Papi turned to Tyler. “Do you think Felix, Micah, and your sister should be here?”

“They’re probably eavesdropping at the top of the stairs, so yeah, it’s okay.”

Boys, Kaya!” Papi boomed. “Get down here, family meeting!”

Sure enough, the sound of footsteps originating from the top of the stairs rather than the bedrooms further away heralded the arrival of the younger boys with Kaya in tow. Felix and Micah looked sheepish as they entered the room. Kaya looked smug at being right.

Micah gave Zev and Ben a wary look. “Did you really turn into wolves?” he asked.

Zev smiled and nodded.

“Yep,” replied Ben.

“Do it again. I want to see!” Kaya begged.

“No! You do not need to see that,” countered Mama. Elijah knew it was more because Zev and Ben needed to strip rather than the shifting itself. She didn’t understand the matter-of-fact attitude shifters had toward nudity.

Tyler ruffled his sister’s hair. “Maybe later, Little Bit.”

There was a moment of awkward silence. No one knew where to start. Elijah saw Tyler brace himself before diving in headfirst.

“There are people who can shift into animals. Sebastian, Reilly, Zev, and Ben are a few. None of you can breathe a word, understood?” he explained, not waiting for an answer. “I don’t know all the histories. These guys can explain it better than me, but just like in our world, there are good guys and bad guys. These are the good guys. The ones who took Kaya are the bad guys. They’re part of an organization that has done many bad things.”

“Like werewolf mafia!” Micah interrupted excitedly.

“We are not werewolves.” Sebastian’s deep voice and thick Irish accent stopped Micah cold.

Tyler reddened, embarrassed by his brother’s outburst. “Um, why don’t you explain? You’re much better at it anyway.”

Elijah scooted closer to his friend. Without the proximity of their mates, they reverted to their old habits of comforting each other when needed.

With Reilly’s help and occasional intervention by Zev and Ben, Sebastian managed to get through the story of how everyone met, the discovery of the hybrids, who were behind the kidnapping of the pups, and what they had to do to stop them.

Elijah had to give props to the entire Williamson clan. Not one of them questioned the validity of what they were told. They trusted him and Tyler enough to believe the strangers sitting in their home.

“So what happens now?” Papi asked.

“I only see one possibility, and you’re not going to like it,” Sebastian answered. “Kasar Huntington is the most dangerous individual in our world right now. You’re on his radar. The only way to protect your family is to bring them to Montana.”

Mama gasped softly. The boys looked hopeful as Papi contemplated Sebastian’s words.

After a few minutes of pregnant silence, Papi replied, “My family’s safety comes first. If you think it’s best we leave here; then we’ll do it.”

“Papi, you’re doing the right thing,” Tyler said, relief flooding his expression. Elijah was sure his face reflected the same.

Mama nodded at her husband. “We will go. I can’t bear the thought of my children in danger.”

“What about Elena?” Declan asked.

Sebastian answered, “My protection extends to her as well. You can decide how you want to let her know. In the meantime, I’ll assign a team to watch her around the clock. She won’t know she’s being protected. She’ll be safe.”

With the decision made, things moved swiftly. Sebastian tasked Reilly, Zev, and Ben with securing the Williamson household. They would arrange for their personal belongings to be shipped to Montana. For now, each family member packed a suitcase with clothes and essentials.

In short order, they were on their way to the airport, Sebastian driving Papi’s fifteen-passenger Chevy Express with the Williamsons. Tyler drove the SUV packed with everyone’s suitcases.

The boys were stoked as they boarded their first flight. On a private plane, no less. Mama looked nervous, but Papi soothed her. Kaya bounced with excitement as the flight attendant secured the plane’s door.

Elijah smiled as five noses pressed up against the windows as the California landscape shrank beneath them. His thoughts turned to his mate, waiting for him. His eyes widened at the sudden realization; in all the excitement, they never broke the news to Mama and Papi that he and Tyler had mates. Well, shit. This ought to be interesting.

***

Ashton nervously paced the floor, impatient for Elijah’s return. His mate texted him before their plane took off. Tyler’s family was coming to Montana. He knew how important the Williamsons were to Elijah. He hoped they liked him and Austin.

His twin fidgeted with the hem of his shirt. Ashton could tell he was on the verge of puking. Hell, his stomach was queasy too. What if Tyler’s family rejected them? What if they were horrified to discover their sons’ mates were freaks? What if? What if? What if? So many scenarios raced through his mind, and he nearly hyperventilated.

Austin wasn’t in any better shape.

Finally, Mom intervened. “Boys! It will be fine. Your mates’ family will love you. And if they don’t? They’ll have to deal with me.”

Austin snorted. Mom was usually one of the most laid-back, chilled mothers out there. Fuck with either of her boys? Yeah, it wasn’t a pretty picture. They’d seen firsthand what a bitch she could be when their eighth-grade teacher had accused them of cheating. Even when they retook the test in question and both scored the same marks again with a proctor watching them the whole time, the teacher still insisted they had somehow tricked the system. Mom had gone full-on scary mode and ripped the shithead a new asshole.

Now, she was in protective mom-status again, ready to battle to the death.

Dad patted her back. “I’m sure that won’t be necessary. Tyler and Elijah have assured us the Williamsons are lovely people.”

Ashton grinned at his dad. He hoped he was right.

When a knock sounded on the door, Dad hurried to answer it.

Kellan stood on the other side with a smile. “Their plane just landed. They’ll be here in about forty-five minutes.”

Mom fussed with the fur on the top of their heads. It was thick, unlike the short strands that covered the rest of their bodies. The texture was almost the same as when they were fully human.

He and Austin resumed pacing when Mom finished messing with their hair. Back and forth until, at last, Dad couldn’t stand it. “Let’s go. You’ll wear a hole in the floor.”

Austin elbowed his way past him, rushing to get out the door first. Ashton’s wolf huffed his annoyance. They hadn’t been in the common room for more than two or three minutes when the sound of tires crunching on gravel reached their ears. Together, they rushed to the door.

Ashton got there first and bullied his way past Austin to open it. Elijah hopped down from the passenger side of a big SUV. A huge smile lit his mate’s face as their eyes met. Ashton’s wolf whined in happiness.

He bounded down the steps, eager to wrap his arms around Elijah. His mate met him halfway. Ashton buried his nose in Elijah’s neck and let his vanilla-peanutty scent wash over him, soothing his wolf. Even though it had been less than a full day, his wolf calmed now that his mate was close again.

Austin was enjoying his own reunion with Tyler when they heard someone clear their throat.

An older version of Tyler stood there with a petite, middle-aged woman by his side. Five sets of curious eyes, the widest belonging to a little girl, staring at them from beside their parents.

“Don’t worry,” Elijah whispered. “We told them all about you on the plane.”

Mom and Dad stood at the bottom of the front steps, prepared to do battle if necessary.

Luckily, it wasn’t necessary. With tears in her eyes, Tyler’s mom stepped forward and hugged her son and Austin.

“Oh! I’m so happy!” she cried, grasping Austin’s cheeks to pull him down so she could kiss him.

Ashton chuffed in amusement. The amusement slid off his face when the woman turned to him and did the same. Then it was Austin’s turn to chuff his laughter.

When Tyler got to his brother Micah in the introductions, the boy looked at him and Austin and exclaimed, “Whoa! You two look so cool!” His immediate acceptance alleviated the remaining anxiety Ashton felt.

“I hate to put a damper on things,” Sebastian said, “but we still have much to discuss. Mr. and Mrs. Williamson, I’m going to have Kellan show your family to the dining room. My Beta, Wayne, and his wife, Sandi, have dinner ready. After, they’ll bring you to the suite we have for you. We can go over other housing options tomorrow.”

“Thank you, Sebastian,” replied Papi. “We appreciate everything you’ve done for us.”

“Becca, Devin? Would you like to join us?” Mama asked. “I would love to get to know you.”

Mom nodded, then kissed him and Austin before following the Williamsons to the dining room. Micah was still chattering excitedly.

“That went well,” Elijah remarked, tucking Ashton’s hand in his.

“Yes, it did,” replied Tyler. “I think our moms will get along fine.”

“Boys, let's go into my office,” Sebastian said.” Once Kellan returns, we can get everyone on the same page and then try to figure out precisely what happened today.”

It wasn’t long before Kellan returned, and Sebastian recapped the day’s events. Ashton’s stomach dropped to the floor when he thought of the sheer terror Tyler’s family must have felt those hours Kaya was missing.

Ashton woke his tablet so Elijah could read, "Why would Huntington take Kaya and then bring her back a few hours later?"

Sebastian shrugged. “That’s the million-dollar question. I suspect he did it to prove he could. Kasar wanted to drive home the fact that he could get to us easily. What I don’t understand is how he knew we had the twins. I know for certain he’s aware we rescued Cameron and Ray and that we recovered Neall.”

“How do you know that?” Elijah asked.

Sebastian’s voice hardened. “Because Kenneman, Gates, and Marvin were dumped on his doorstep, missing their dicks, balls, and tongues. I think he got the message loud and clear.”

Silence descended over the room. Sebastian needn’t say more. The Alpha might not have been directly responsible, but his team was. It was enough information to satisfy everyone. If any of the men were still alive when Huntington found them, they wouldn’t have remained that way long.

Hunter broke the silence. “Do you think that’s what he meant by accusing Tyler of stealing something from him?”

“It’s possible,” Sebastian replied. “Even though he no longer held them captive, he’s narcissistic enough to believe they were still his. If he is still involved with the so-called brokering of the hybrids, losing them most likely pissed him off. Cats don’t like their toys taken away.”

“What about the twins?” Kellan asked. “How did Huntington know we found them? Could there be an informant in Giles’ pack? Maybe Caleb? He betrayed us once. What’s to stop him from doing it again?”

Ashton saw Elijah shake his head. “No. If you saw Caleb the way he is now, you’d know he’s incapable. He’s a broken man. He wears his regret like a full-length overcoat from shoulder to ankle.”

“So, then how?” Reilly wondered.

“Giles has a large pack,” Sebastian remarked. “I’ll ask Nat Chusi to see if she can discreetly dig up any information for us. Right now, my field team is wrapping things up at the Idaho facility, preparing for its destruction.”

“Destruction?” Elijah asked. Ashton was puzzled, too. Elijah and Tyler had explained the functions of the facility. He didn’t understand what purpose its demolition would serve.

“They’ve recovered as many of the pups as they could.” Sebastian referred to the earlier failed attempts at hybridization. In the first few weeks after the raid on the facility, they discovered that the pups who hadn’t survived were discarded like trash down an old shaft. “According to the records, only four are still unaccounted. It’s too dangerous to explore more of the old mine shafts. We’ve spoken to the families. They’re upset but understand why we needed to cease the recovery effort. We’re destroying the facility and as much of the mine as possible. It will look like a pocket of gas exploded. Everything is in place. We’re waiting for a storm system that’s brewing to move in. Hopefully, it will appear as though a lightning strike sparks the explosion.”

Ashton’s brows furrowed as a thought struck. He tapped his tablet to wake it up and typed out his message.

Elijah’s eyes widened as he read it. "Were all of the pups boys? Why aren’t there any girl hybrids?"

“We wondered the same thing,” Sebastian replied. “Several girls’ bodies were discovered beneath the boys, indicating they were there longer. Most of the researchers believe it’s because of the difference in hormones. Adolescent girls produce estrogen in larger quantities, along with progesterone. It’s believed testosterone is the culprit behind the ability to halt the shifting process before it’s completed. Most girls don’t produce enough testosterone to affect their shift. When they realized this, they shifted their focus to boys.”

Elijah leaned in and whispered, “Smart question.” Ashton’s wolf preened at the praise.

“In any case,” Sebastian continued, “they dismantled the facility. The explosive expert we brought in is one of the best in his field. David Callaghan has assured me the mine will be inaccessible. He’s also guaranteed no one will ever suspect it wasn’t anything other than a freak accident of nature.”

Ashton typed out another question. What about the other missing hybrids? Do you think Huntington knows where they are?

The Alpha looked resolved. “I’m sure he knows exactly where all of them are. We need to assume he will be on high alert. It’s too dangerous for my teams to go out again. If I were in Huntington’s shoes, I’d make sure whoever has the other hybrids knows to be on the lookout for.”

So what do we do now?” Zev asked.

“We prepare for war.”

You guys are so impatient.
Let the comments commence.
Copyright © 2022 kbois; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 68
  • Wow 10
  • Fingers Crossed 3
  • Angry 2
Thanks for coming along for this ride!
As always, if you're enjoying the story please make sure to hit a REACTION button, COMMENT, and most of all, RECOMMEND! 
I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..